How to prevent local user daemon for sending mails with Sendmail configured as SMTP authentication.

Hello:

We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with
virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine
till
I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our
sendmail server mailqueue  is flooded with messages from
daemon@localdomain.

Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file:

ul  2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client,
relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL,
cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Jul  2 09:38:26 190877-dev1
sendmail[20004]: n62EcQgB020004:
from=<daemon@190877-dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, size=567,
class=0,
nrcpts=1,
msgid=<200907021438.n62EcQPx020001@190877-
dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>,
proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

How can I block this user from sending mails locally.

Please help.

--
thanks,
Navdeep

"nippy" <nav842003@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
> We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with
> virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine
> till
> I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our
> sendmail server mailqueue  is flooded with messages from
> daemon@localdomain.
>
> Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file:
>
> ul  2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client,
> relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL,
> cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Jul  2 09:38:26 190877-dev1
> sendmail[20004]: n62EcQgB020004:
> from=<daemon@190877-dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, size=567,
> class=0,
> nrcpts=1,
> msgid=<200907021438.n62EcQPx020001@190877-
> dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>,
> proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]
>

> How can I block this user from sending mails locally.

The problem is with your web server.  BTW, Apache doesn't send mail by
itself at all.  Therefore, the issue is with your web pages.  This has
nothing to do with sendmail.

0
spam8643 (256)
7/2/2009 6:23:23 PM
D. Stussy wrote:
> "nippy" <nav842003@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> > We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with
> > virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine
> > till
> > I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our
> > sendmail server mailqueue  is flooded with messages from
> > daemon@localdomain.
> >
> > Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file:
> >
> > ul  2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client,
> > relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL,
> > cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Jul  2 09:38:26 190877-dev1
> > sendmail[20004]: n62EcQgB020004:
> > from=<daemon@190877-dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, size=567,
> > class=0,
> > nrcpts=1,
> > msgid=<200907021438.n62EcQPx020001@190877-
> > dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>,
> > proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]
> >
> > How can I block this user from sending mails locally.
>
> The problem is with your web server.  BTW, Apache doesn't send mail by
> itself at all.  Therefore, the issue is with your web pages.  This has
> nothing to do with sendmail.

I suppose, that Appache is running as user "deamon"?

If you block this sender, other legit mail by Apache or other
processes running as "daemon" might be blocked, too. So I very agree
to find the origin of the mails first.

Otherwise you could try to add From:daemon@190877-
dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com REJECT to access.db. However, this
won't fit "locally".

Do the mails are submitted on port 25 or 589 or are they submitted via
"sendmail" binary?
0
skg34 (195)
7/3/2009 10:57:39 AM
On 7/3/2009 5:57 AM, ska wrote:
> If you block this sender, other legit mail by Apache or other
> processes running as "daemon" might be blocked, too. So I very agree
> to find the origin of the mails first.

I have been experimenting with writing a Sendmail wrapper that I would
configure PHP to use in place of the Sendmail binary.  This wrapper
would extract the email address of the ServerAdmin setting and use that
as the from address for the emails /if/ one was not already set.

If you were using something like that, you would have identification of
which web site sent the email.  Knowing which web site sent the email
would allow you to filter which web sites can and can not send email
based on the sending email address.  Heck, it might even be possible to
return an error to PHP if the site is not allowed to send an email
address, thus pushing the error back to the PHP code running on the web
site.

Grant. . . .
0
gtaylor (1357)

How do I configure sendmail to recognize my SMTP server, so that I can send mail with mutt?
I'm trying to convert to Mutt, but can't get it to send mail. The problem is how sendmail's set up. How can I point send mail to smtp-server.blah.blah? Naota -- naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove capital letters: SPAM) ...

Sendmail sending user@domain.com to my local machine instead of my mail server.
Hi All I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. It works when I send out mails to username@gmail.com or username@yahoo.com, etc. But when I send out mails to username@abc.com, the mails get sent to itself, i.e. machine A1. And the maillog shows that the Local mailer was called to send the mail instead of the ESMTP mailer. I have other Freebsd machines, and h...

How to configure sendmail to send mails
FUP from comp.lang.python Am Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 15:38:25 UTC+2 schrieb Ferrous Cranus: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 5/9/2013 4:29 =CE=BC=CE=BC, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 feedth= etroll =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >>> uses DoveCot as enaled mail server but i have no idea how to >>> setip up to work. >>> i cannot connect to it via my python script. >> OK, I should have been more exact: >> To send mails you need a "smtp-server" (MTA - Mail Transfer Agent, >> Message Transport Agent) like postfix, exim, sendmail, ... >> >> DoveCot is good for "reading" mail (=3D"mailbox management", "pop3(s)", >> "imap(s)"). You cannot send mails using DoveCot. (You can use a >> WebMailService to access DoveCot for reading and a MTA for sending mails= ..) >> >> So you have to find out, which MTA you installed (you have root access, >> don't you) and configure it. >> >> But this is (like so often) becoming extremely offtopic. >=20 > i as root just inatslled >=20 > sendmail and mailx. i have edited the ~/.mailrc to use: > > nikos@superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# cat ~/.mailrc > account gmail { > set smtp-use-starttls > set smtp=3Dsmtp://smtp.gmail.com:587 > set smtp-auth=3Dlogin > set smtp-auth-user=3Dmay)gmail > set smtp-auth-password=3Dmy_gmail_pass_not_stupid_enough_to_w...

sendmail only accepting mail from local users
I've got a newbie question that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me. I had to change the smtp port Sendmail was listening on to 587 last night due to SBC/Yahoo's port blocking. That was the only option I changed. Then about an hour later Sendmail stopped accepting mail from external users, but from local users it worked fine. I can connect and send email to anyone of the local users from my user account with a mail client. The maillog reads: Mar 11 12:36:20 server sendmail[90351]: j2BKaJD90306: to=<thunderbird@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<steven@myotherdomain.com&...

send mail without running sendmail locally
Hi, I have 2 linux boxes, one of them running sendmail as MTA for my network, by using which we can send/receive mails to/fro internal/external mail IDs. Now, i want to send a mail from 2nd linux box (non-sendmail) to external domain mail Ids without running sendmail on it and rather, i want to use my sendmail server as RELAY. I configured my sendmail server to relay the 2nd linux box. Now, how can i send mail from 2nd linux box to outside world? Is there any command readily available or do i need to write any scripts for that? TIA Prvnrk Install sendmail, but don't allow it to start ...

Want mercury mail server to send mails using user defined smtp
How do I setup mercury mail server to use some other smtp to deliver mails. Background: My ISPs IP addresses (set of ips) are registered as spam sending and hence all mails sent using this ip bounces back. So I have purchased smtp services and want mercury mail to use that smtp to send mails. Thanks. Samir Cybersurf (India) [POSTED TO comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE] In <fc389f33.0408060513.55cac989@posting.google.com> on 6 Aug 2004 06:13:37 -0700, samir@cybersurfindia.com (yaaru) wrote: >[SNIP] Per the newsgroup charters, please post Mercury questions in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc -- Best regards, John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/> WinPMail helpers (PGP/URLPROXY/NsProto/AdrCSV) available on my Home Page ...

Want mercury mail server to send mails using user defined smtp
How do I setup mercury mail server to use some other smtp to deliver mails. Background: My ISPs IP addresses (set of ips) are registered as spam sending and hence all mails sent using this ip bounces back. So I have purchased smtp services and want mercury mail to use that smtp to send mails. Thanks. Samir Cybersurf (India) yaaru wrote: > I have purchased smtp services and want mercury mail to use that > smtp to send mails. > Use the MercuryC SMTP Relay Client Module. -- Regards, Guy <URL:http://guysalias.batcave.net/pgpkeys.txt> [Updated: 4/29/2004] ...

How to configure to send mail via SMTP where authentication is required
Hello, I've got sendmail on my box to which my Rogers cablemodem is connected. When sending mail through Rogers, they require that your email address be sent as username and that a password be sent as well (as options in Outlook Express for instance). I'm trying to configure my PHP setup so that the mail() command works and that it actually send mail through the rogers smtp (smtp.broadband.rogers.com) when called. Anyone know where the username/password goes in sendmail config? Looking forward to the help! Thanks Alex On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:57:32 GMT, Lex <rm1x@S...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Sendmail cannot send my mail
I am on a typical home user setup (dialup connection, SMTP server listens on exotic port 25000 and I need to enter a password to connect to the server). The various mailers I have used - outlook, outlook express, mozilla mail - have no problems sending my mail successfully. But when I try to use sendmail all I get is something like: Nov 22 18:56:51 turki sendmail[28724]: iAL4OmF22670: to=cga2001@eml.cc, ctladdr=gavron (500/500), delay=1+19:32:03, xdelay=00:00:10, mailer=relay, pri=815114, relay=b.mx.mailbarn.net. [66.54.152.36], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Defer red: Connection refused by b.mx.mailbarn.net. sendmail proceeds to recycle the mail for the following five days without success. I have read the FAQs, made countless changes to the sendmail.mc file, cycled sendmail at least a hundred times over the last couple of months to no avail. Since on average successfully setting up a mail account in one of the above mailers takes under two minutes, I am beginning to suspect that there is a bug in the version of sendmail I am running - sendmail version 8.11.4 release 3 as generated by Redhat 7.2 from an rpm. Is there a short howto describing what the average home user on a dialup connection should do to make sendmail connect to the outside world? I was thinking of using this as a checklist to make sure I am not leaving out anything. If no such document exists could anyone direct me to sample configuration files that are known to work in this type of setup with this particular versi...

Sendmail delivers mail locally instead of sending it to other domain / Solaris 9
Hi, I found a few old postings but they were not very helpful. Trying to configure Sendmail that came preinstalled with Solaris 9 - to send messages to my e-mail. Right now it delivers each message locally. ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- koracd@saic-dc.com (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 553 5.3.5 mailhost config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?) 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error The mailhost /etc/hosts is the localbox I am trying to send mail from. Thanks Dusan On Jun 29, 11:46 am, Du...

sendmail for only sending mail
hello, i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: # /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com .... Type in message using headers etc .. and that's it, the message would be sent. however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "." does not send the message nor does ^D, nothing. i can't find in sendmail.cf a mention of "termination symbol". any ideas? (i thought it might be related to some terminate symbol, so i tried: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -messagefile=msg.txt which should send message from a file, but still, i get std input waiting for input, and unable to terminate except for ^C.) i am using the fedora distribution by the way. thanks. In article <4100396a-486b-4d25-b2e7-8fcb753a8c63@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com> jack.monflower@gmail.com writes: >hello, >i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... >nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) >so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: > ># /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com >... Type in message using headers etc >. > >and that's it, the message would be sent. >however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail >terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "...

sendmail stops processing mails from list if one unknown local user is present
Hi there, I'm running out of ideas and desperatly hope someone can show me what I can do I've set up a new mailserver running sendmail 8.14.7 on OpenSuSE 13.1, having had sendmail 8.13 before. When I send mail to a list address, which is a valid mail address found in our LDAP resolving to three different addresses one of which is a local address (@mydomain) with an invalid alias (user unknown) sendmail rejects the mail with "User unknown" and doesn't process the other two valid addresses (not local). Instead it waits until timeout. It seems to clear the &q...

Sendmail not sending mails immediately
Hello, We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails and we would like those mails to be sent immediately. Currently there are sitting in the queue a few minutes and then they get sent. I didn't configure anything differently no that box. And sendmail is running as the following: root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m My question now is: how do I configure sendmail to send immediately mails ? Regards > root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m > smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m Replace -q15m with -q1s Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. I should add that -q1s implies that sendmail will process the mail queue every single second... so it's unnecessary overhead. I suggest you try with -q1m so it's once every minute... it's not too bad, but it could still be too much overhead for your system. Try to find a compromise between response times and overhead. I suggest you read the sendmail manual page for further information about the command line options... Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. Syn <syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com> writes: >We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails an...

Sendmail refuses to send mail
Hi, only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Thanks in advance! --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= ...

Configuring sendmail for mailing lists
Hey all, I am configuring a mail server for a group that needs to send out mail to some of their large mailing lists (I'm verifying that they are not spam lists), because their current service does not seem to cut it for them. What I would like to do is give them an easy way to compose the message in their own clients, and then send them via Certificate authenticated SMTP to the groups that they want. I think that they easiest way for them to do this would be to have a single alias to which they can mail their message, and have the server mail out to the rest of the addresses. I want to avoid installing unnecessary software into my server, so I was wondering if there is a way of doing this with just Sendmail? The list is fairly static, so I don't need to have the ability to update the list quickly, I just need to be able to make it easy for the sender to mail things out. Does anyone have any recommendations? Sincerely, Aaron Hsu -- +++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++ Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us> Scheme Programming is subtle; subtlety can be hard. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Aaron W. Hsu wrote: > Hey all, > > I am configuring a mail server for a group that needs to send out mail > to some of their large mailing lists (I'm verifying that they are not > spam lists), because their current service does not seem to cut it f...

send mail without.. sendmail ?
It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon running? Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more than I can handle as a part time admin. Thanks, bl8n8r bad_knee <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote: > It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run > sen...

Mail .Mac cannot send mail via smtp mac
I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found without any problem I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, what could be wrong ? thanks joss In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found > without any problem > > I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, > what could be wrong ? > > thanks > > joss Without more detail, it's only a guess...but perhaps your provider is blocking port 25. It's probably a good idea to switch to the "submission port" instead. I don't use Apple's Mail program for my .Mac account and don't know just now where to go there for setting this, but it's an automatic option I use with Eudora. You should also turn on the encryption settings for better security. = Steve = -- Steve W. Jackson Montgomery, Alabama On 2007-10-11 18:07:53 +0200, "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjackson@knology.net> said: > In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, > Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > >> I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found >> without any problem >> >> I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, >> what could be wrong ? >> >...

Probs in sending mail with sendmail service
Hi I am trying to setup sendmail service for my bugzilla server... installed and configured sendmail service. Here I am able to send mails with telnet <mysite> 25 successfully... But When I try to send mails with sendmail -v <mymailid> the mails are not getting delivered to the destination id... Following is the transcript: ---------------------------- [root@bug mail]# sendmail -v srinivas_matta@yahoo.com test test est .. srinivas_matta@yahoo.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:29:29 +0530 >>> EHLO localhost.localdomain 250-localhost.localdomain Hello bug [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250-DSN 250-ETRN 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 250-DELIVERBY 250 HELP >>> MAIL From:<root@localhost.localdomain> SIZE=14 AUTH=root@localhost.localdomain 250 2.1.0 <root@localhost.localdomain>... Sender ok >>> RCPT To:<srinivas_matta@yahoo.com> >>> DATA 250 2.1.5 <srinivas_matta@yahoo.com>... Recipient ok 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself >>> . 250 2.0.0 l3GCxT6F002212 Message accepted for delivery srinivas_matta@yahoo.com... Sent (l3GCxT6F002212 Message accepted for delivery) Closing connection to [127.0.0.1] >>> QUIT 221 2.0.0 localhost.localdomain closing connection Tail of /var/log/maillog: ------------------------- Apr 16 18:29:...

Web resources about - How to prevent local user daemon for sending mails with Sendmail configured as SMTP authentication. - comp.mail.sendmail

New Tools to Optimize App Authentication
At f8, we announced a redesigned Auth Dialog and a new authentication flow to give developers more control over people’s first experience with ...

Facebook Tells Some Developers They Have 48 Hours to Fix Authentication Data Leaks
... sent an email to what it calls a “very small percentage of the developer community” informing them their apps are suspected of leaking authentication ...

YouTube - How To Hack Twitter's New Two Factor Authentication
Veröffentlicht am 23.05.2013 Connect! http://toopher.com http://facebook.com/toopherinc http://twitter.com/toopher CEO Josh Alexander wants ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

Two-factor authentication: double or nothing
An extra layer of security keeps hackers at bay.