How to send mail without sendmail running?

I'm positive that I've sent email from a Linux system
before, WITHOUT sendmail running.  When I tried to do
this on a Fedora Core 1 box running sendmail 8.12, I
could not send email to anyone on the localhost, or
to an outside domain.  Is there a way to configure
sendmail so that it's not running, but will still
allow sending email to external domains, other users
on that host, mail from cron jobs, etc.?

-Thanks

0
itfred (114)

Fred <itfred@cdw.com> writes:

>I'm positive that I've sent email from a Linux system
>before, WITHOUT sendmail running.  When I tried to do
>this on a Fedora Core 1 box running sendmail 8.12, I
>could not send email to anyone on the localhost, or
>to an outside domain.  Is there a way to configure
>sendmail so that it's not running, but will still
>allow sending email to external domains, other users
>on that host, mail from cron jobs, etc.?

The best solution is to run a sendmail daemon listening
*only* on 127.0.0.1 .  That is probably the fedora default
configuration.

If you want it to run the old way, then

	chmod 4555 sendmail
	rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or rename to submit.cf.dist

0
nn (690)
6/26/2004 3:29:27 PM
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:29:27 +0000, Neil W Rickert wrote:

> The best solution is to run a sendmail daemon listening
> *only* on 127.0.0.1 .  That is probably the fedora default
> configuration.
>
> If you want it to run the old way, then
>
> 	chmod 4555 sendmail
> 	rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or rename to submit.cf.dist

I'm almost positive that I was able to send email locally on
a Linux or Unix system without sendmail running at all.
Do you think this is possible?
0
itfred (114)
6/26/2004 11:29:52 PM
Fred <itfred@cdw.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.26.23.29.52.545239@cdw.com>...
>.>
> I'm almost positive that I was able to send email locally on
> a Linux or Unix system without sendmail running at all.
> Do you think this is possible?

Are you thinking of mail.remote:

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/#TOCmail_remote

or esmtp:

http://esmtp.sourceforge.net/

That web page has a few other alternatives listed at the end. I think
all of these avoid running a daemon, if that is the point. If you
don't mind running a daemon, but don't want it to be sendmail, then
postfix might be the first to try.

Daniel Feenberg
0
drfremove (171)
6/27/2004 11:22:09 PM
Fred  wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:29:27 +0000, Neil W Rickert wrote:

> > If you want it to run the old way, then
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > 	chmod 4555 sendmail
> > 	rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or rename to submit.cf.dist

> I'm almost positive that I was able to send email locally on
> a Linux or Unix system without sendmail running at all.
> Do you think this is possible?

Did you try what Neil wrote?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Send mail without running sendmail
I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get an error stating "Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]" in maillog file. Can somebody advise how I can point to external SMTP server for mail sending? Thanks. Karan wrote: > I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine > (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. > > In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get &...

send mail without running sendmail locally
Hi, I have 2 linux boxes, one of them running sendmail as MTA for my network, by using which we can send/receive mails to/fro internal/external mail IDs. Now, i want to send a mail from 2nd linux box (non-sendmail) to external domain mail Ids without running sendmail on it and rather, i want to use my sendmail server as RELAY. I configured my sendmail server to relay the 2nd linux box. Now, how can i send mail from 2nd linux box to outside world? Is there any command readily available or do i need to write any scripts for that? TIA Prvnrk Install sendmail, but don't allow it to start ...

send mail without.. sendmail ?
It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon running? Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more than I can handle as a part time admin. Thanks, bl8n8r bad_knee <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote: > It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run > sen...

Getting local mail delivery to work without having sendmail running
Greetings. I have two sets of box's. One is a RH 7.0 Box and another is a 8.0 box. Before anyone knocks the box's we are in the process of rolling everything out to Suse Enterprise Linux. Now, we do not run sendmail on the box's. We normally change the submit.cf DS line to forward mail to an postfix mail gateway we have. My question is how can I get local mail delivery to work if sendmail isnt running? I would like to be able to do "mail root" and have that read roots .forward file and mail out to whatever email addy is in that file. The RH7.0 box's work fine ...

Sendmail cannot send my mail
I am on a typical home user setup (dialup connection, SMTP server listens on exotic port 25000 and I need to enter a password to connect to the server). The various mailers I have used - outlook, outlook express, mozilla mail - have no problems sending my mail successfully. But when I try to use sendmail all I get is something like: Nov 22 18:56:51 turki sendmail[28724]: iAL4OmF22670: to=cga2001@eml.cc, ctladdr=gavron (500/500), delay=1+19:32:03, xdelay=00:00:10, mailer=relay, pri=815114, relay=b.mx.mailbarn.net. [66.54.152.36], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Defer red: Connection refused by b.mx.mailbarn.net. sendmail proceeds to recycle the mail for the following five days without success. I have read the FAQs, made countless changes to the sendmail.mc file, cycled sendmail at least a hundred times over the last couple of months to no avail. Since on average successfully setting up a mail account in one of the above mailers takes under two minutes, I am beginning to suspect that there is a bug in the version of sendmail I am running - sendmail version 8.11.4 release 3 as generated by Redhat 7.2 from an rpm. Is there a short howto describing what the average home user on a dialup connection should do to make sendmail connect to the outside world? I was thinking of using this as a checklist to make sure I am not leaving out anything. If no such document exists could anyone direct me to sample configuration files that are known to work in this type of setup with this particular versi...

Newbie Question
Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host. We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the following error : # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Our sendmail version is 8.13.4. Any idea how we can trouble shoot this ? Thanks, Bill In article <1161970635.838296.15020@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote: > Can we send email...

Sendmail not sending mails immediately
Hello, We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails and we would like those mails to be sent immediately. Currently there are sitting in the queue a few minutes and then they get sent. I didn't configure anything differently no that box. And sendmail is running as the following: root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m My question now is: how do I configure sendmail to send immediately mails ? Regards > root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m > smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m Replace -q15m with -q1s Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. I should add that -q1s implies that sendmail will process the mail queue every single second... so it's unnecessary overhead. I suggest you try with -q1m so it's once every minute... it's not too bad, but it could still be too much overhead for your system. Try to find a compromise between response times and overhead. I suggest you read the sendmail manual page for further information about the command line options... Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. Syn <syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com> writes: >We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails an...

How to configure sendmail to send mails
FUP from comp.lang.python Am Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 15:38:25 UTC+2 schrieb Ferrous Cranus: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 5/9/2013 4:29 =CE=BC=CE=BC, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 feedth= etroll =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >>> uses DoveCot as enaled mail server but i have no idea how to >>> setip up to work. >>> i cannot connect to it via my python script. >> OK, I should have been more exact: >> To send mails you need a "smtp-server" (MTA - Mail Transfer Agent, >> Message Transport Agent) like postfix, exim, sendmail, ... >> >> DoveCot is good for "reading" mail (=3D"mailbox management", "pop3(s)", >> "imap(s)"). You cannot send mails using DoveCot. (You can use a >> WebMailService to access DoveCot for reading and a MTA for sending mails= ..) >> >> So you have to find out, which MTA you installed (you have root access, >> don't you) and configure it. >> >> But this is (like so often) becoming extremely offtopic. >=20 > i as root just inatslled >=20 > sendmail and mailx. i have edited the ~/.mailrc to use: > > nikos@superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# cat ~/.mailrc > account gmail { > set smtp-use-starttls > set smtp=3Dsmtp://smtp.gmail.com:587 > set smtp-auth=3Dlogin > set smtp-auth-user=3Dmay)gmail > set smtp-auth-password=3Dmy_gmail_pass_not_stupid_enough_to_w...

Sendmail refuses to send mail
Hi, only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Thanks in advance! --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= ...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

Cant send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
I use the netstat to get the following information: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:109 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 ...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Sendmaill not able to send mails to certain domains!!
Dear all I am having a problem in sending mails using Dialup (PPP) connections. I will explain the setup. I had configured a mail server in my office using Linux sendmail and Redhat 9, which handles the complete intranet and mails to internet.Now i am facing a problem in which i am not able to send mails to very few domains, like rediffmail.com and some more. for eg: root# telnet mail1.rediffmail.com 25 Trying mail1.rediffmail.com Closing connection of mail1.rediffmail.com Trying mail2.rediffmail.com Closing connection of mail1.rediffmail.com Trying mail2.rediffmail.com Closin...

sendmail won't send mail again
Hello! I want to use a perl CGI script behind apache to serve info inqueries and did something like the following: open(MAIL,"| $mailprog -t"); print MAIL "To: $to\n"; print MAIL "From: $webmaster_email\n"; print MAIL "X-Mailer: DaySpot Powered.\n"; print MAIL "Subject: $subject\n\n"; print MAIL "$message"; print MAIL "\n.\n"; close MAIL; Where From field is some yahoo email account. The apache runs as apache:apache. Now I find it couldn't send out ...

Best way to send mail from sendmail server?
Hey all; I've got a sendmail (8.13.4) box primarily relaying from the outside to a number of inside locations. Problem is, this box also sends mail out itself, mostly reporting and such. Now any mail it generates is coming from "user@localhost" which resolves (naturally) to 127.0.0.1. I can add localhost to the access DB and it works fine, but I'm wondering if this is really the ideal way of doing things. Is there a way I can rewrite the sender domain from localhost to domain.com, or even host.domain.com? Thanks, Colin Colin B. wrote: > I've got a sendmail (8.13.4)...

Sendmail keeps on sending mails (but I emptied queue)
Hi. I want to remove Sendmail messages queue. I've deleted every files within '/var/spool/mqueue/' (it's empty), but when restarting Sendmail, it tries to send more and more messages. I empty this directory, but when restarting Sendmail I find more messages again. Does anybody know to stop this queue? Thank you very much. If I do []# sendmail -bp I get: ---------------- /var/spool/mqueue (1 request) -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient----------- k1K9vHU4705137 32233 Mon Feb 20 02:57 <myaccount@mydomain.com> ...

Sending HTML Mail via sendmail to Outlook 2000

Sendmail won't send mail hotmail.
Okay so I bought ipalaces.org through netfirms.com, I then transfered over the nameservers to zoneedit.com because I want to have better control of the DNS. I have ipalaces.org and *.ipalaces.org set to the IP 72.249.127.98 I am using Sendmail 8.13.8 on debian hosted on a virtual private server. I have asked my VPS host to set up a PTR record for ipalaces.org to point back to 72.249.127.98. I have the following setup for sendmail.mc MASQUERADE_AS(`ipalaces.org')dnl CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Address=72.249.127.98')dnl I have used make in /etc/mail/ to apply the changes to sendmail...

Problem sending mail with sendmail and php
When i send mail using mail() in php i receive from my external smtp server a message such that: Sep 3 17:30:15 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[898]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[yyyyyyyy]: 450 <apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it> to=<marco.pppppppppppppp@xxxxxxx.it> proto=ESMTP helo=<apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it> Where zzzzzzzzzz is name of the Linux machine uuu.hhh.it is the domain I need that sender is someone@uuu.hhh.it and not apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it Do you know where must i ...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Send mail script step
I have a file CLASSES with the classes of a school and a file STUDENTS with the students of the shool. The two files are related with the Class_ID field. I have a layout with the data from one record of the CLASS file and a portal showing all the students in that class. I want to use a script to sent e-mails to all the students in that class (assuming that there is a e-mail address field in students file). If I use the "Use all Recordn in found set" flag the mail is sent to all the studends of the school and not only to the students of that class. If I use "Use the current rec...

Web resources about - How to send mail without sendmail running? - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...