I'm sendmail from mail server

I'm using sendmail in my mail server ( vers. 8.12.10-1.1.1).
The same mail was sent to 2 users (A, B), I can see 2 different mail
formats.

A uses Outlook Express 6 and it's able to read message
B uses Outlook Express 6 and it's NOT able to read message.

I verified mail, which was in mailbox B, has winmail.dat inside body
so I suppose to be RTF format.
I verified client which sent the mail, but there is neither settings
for RTF format nor setting for RFT format for specific recipients.

Can sendmail alter email format in this way ?

RICCARDO <ric.castellani@alice.it> wrote in <792579cd-a52c-424c-9e57-3157b467873d@f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>:
> I'm using sendmail in my mail server ( vers. 8.12.10-1.1.1).
> The same mail was sent to 2 users (A, B), I can see 2 different mail
> formats.
>
> A uses Outlook Express 6 and it's able to read message
> B uses Outlook Express 6 and it's NOT able to read message.
>
> I verified mail, which was in mailbox B, has winmail.dat inside body
> so I suppose to be RTF format.
> I verified client which sent the mail, but there is neither settings
> for RTF format nor setting for RFT format for specific recipients.
>
> Can sendmail alter email format in this way ?

Not to my knowledge. Can you run a packet trace (WireShark, tcpdump,
etc.) of both sessions (the one to A _and_ the one to B), and then
compare them? I suspect that B is somehow prompting Exchange to send
a winmail.dat, while A is not, or (and I think more probable) the mail
client is configured to send RTF to B, but not to A.

I've had similar problems with winmail.dat being sent to users here, and
in every case it has been the sender's mailclient configuration.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea@mikea.ath.cx

'mail'/'sendmail' with higher priority??
Is there a way to send high priority mails to the other specific unix users, by using my unix login? I checked with the options for 'mail' and 'sendmail' and couldn't find anything relevant to it. qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com writes: > Is there a way to send high priority mails to the other specific unix > users, by using my unix login? I checked with the options for 'mail' > and 'sendmail' and couldn't find anything relevant to it. Normally, mail goes into a queue for delivery. And the queue process sends out the mail. With the right priviled...

Continued mail server problems for all PGSQL mailing lists I'm on
I'm actually getting the mailing list mail, so I don't know what the deal is. Successful deliveries are coming from 64.117.225.209. But 207.173.200.206 has big problems. Sendmail is misconfigured in at least two ways. DNS is not even configured at all for reverse DNS. I can't whitelist the sender email addresses because spammers already use them. I can't whitelist the IP address because you guys keep changing them. I can't whitelist the server domain because the reverse DNS isn't set up yet (it takes me less than 5 minutes to set that up). I'm sure the list operators are experts in PostgreSQL. I'm not. But at least I don't pretend to be. Maybe you should ask some experts in running mailing lists, mail servers, and DNS servers, to give you a hand. -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- | Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ | | (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Phil Howard wrote: > I'm actually getting the mailing list mail, so I don't know what the > deal is. Successful deliveries are coming from 64.117.225.209. But > 207.173.200.206 has big problems. 207.1...

Can't move mail from Sendmail Server to workstation
Hello, I'm running Sendmail 8.12.11 on a RedHat 9 box I can send and receive mail when seated directly at the Sendmail/RedHat box I can send mail outfrom my XP Professional workstation to the Sendmail/Redhat Box using the mail client and Sendmail sends mail out OK. But, when mail comes in and is placed in /var/spool/mail mailbox, and I try to get that mail using the mail client, I get a "connected" message but nothing happens. Did I define the wrong delivery agent ? Do I need to define another one ? Any help would be appreciated. Here's my mc file : VERSIONID(`Red ...

sendmail clients don't try backup mail server
Hello, In testing a backup mail server, I shut down the primary, and started sendmail (server configuration) on the secondary server. It didn't quite work like I thought. I thought that the local sendmail clients would examine the mx records and try the different servers in order until it found one that worked or it gave up trying. The interesting thing is that emails sent from outside the LAN will find the backup mail server. Running sendmail in verbose mode, I can see the first attempt is made to the primary, since I had shut sendmail down on the primary, it tried, and succesfully delivered the mail to the backup. THe folks in the DNS group figure DNS is probably OK because that worked. The systems involved are SUNs running 2.8, 2.9 NIS+ and sendmail 8.12.10. Below I ran sendmail with the verbose option and switch -d8.8 so I could follow the DNS queries. It tries to send it to the primary server, but that fails, and doesn't attempt to deliver to any of the others. The backup server is called aka and the client is hol. /usr/lib/sendmail -d8.8 -v stuart dns_getcanonname(hol, trymx=1) dns_getcanonname: trying hol.xxxx.noaa.gov (A) ;; res_nquerydomain(hol, xxxx.noaa.gov, 1, 1) ;; res_query(hol.xxxx.noaa.gov, 1, 1) ;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, hol.xxxx.noaa.gov, IN, A) ;; res_send() ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 46347 ;; flags: rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; hol.xxxx.noaa.gov, type = A, class = IN ;; Queryi...

Securing a Sendmail mail server
This actually is more along the lines of ensuring that your server is not an open relay and to ensure that only my internal LAN and users authenticated via smtp-auth have the ability to send mail through my mail server. I've been pouring over the bat book and the new sendmail cookbook and feel like i've made good progress in figuring out how to secure my server. However, I wanted to post a few questions here to verify that I am understanding this correctly and when my server goes live, I am not an open relay. I know as of sendmail 8.9, it is a closed relay by default. Which is...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

Cant send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
I use the netstat to get the following information: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:109 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 ...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

MS-Windows mail servers and PHP's mail() function
I have a contact form that uses PHP's mail() function. It recently came to my attention that (some?) MS-Windows mail servers may not properly process data given to the mail() function that's only newline-terminated. The mail() function takes up to five parameters: mail(recipient, subject, message, [headers [,parameters]]) The ones of interest here are the first four. The questions are these: 1. Since recipient and subject are not multi-line, and, from the web form, don't even contain newlines, is it safe to assume they need neither newlines nor carriage-returns? 2. The message, from the web form, contains newlines. I assume all newlines need carriage-returns inserted in front of them? 3. The headers are created, in the web form processing, by appending newline-terminated strings to a variable (e.g.: headers .= "blah: yadda\n";). I presume that this string likewise needs carriage-returns inserted before the newlines? 4. I've seen mention of problems with "hanging carriage-returns." I presume that simply means there should be no line, blank or otherwise, that contains a carriage-return w/o an accompanying newline? Assuming all the above to be true, my four parameters would look like: recipient: "somebody@example.com" subject: "Some subject" message: "Some message\r\ntext\r\ngoes here\r\n" headers:...

How to find Mail server and sender's mail id automatically ?
Hello there How can I automatically detect mail server confiured on local machine by programmtically ? Is there any way to find out mail server ! As well as I want to find the mail address of sender automatically ( whihc is configured for MS Outlook) My aim is to send mail using one component. But I just don't want to ask user to type mail server and his mail id ( From : --- ). My program would automate this job, choose correct mail server and send the mail. On 27 Feb 2005 23:12:52 -0800, ajay.sonawane@gmail.com wrote: >Hello there >How can I automatically detect mail ...

Best way to send mail from sendmail server?
Hey all; I've got a sendmail (8.13.4) box primarily relaying from the outside to a number of inside locations. Problem is, this box also sends mail out itself, mostly reporting and such. Now any mail it generates is coming from "user@localhost" which resolves (naturally) to 127.0.0.1. I can add localhost to the access DB and it works fine, but I'm wondering if this is really the ideal way of doing things. Is there a way I can rewrite the sender domain from localhost to domain.com, or even host.domain.com? Thanks, Colin Colin B. wrote: > I've got a sendmail (8.13.4)...

sendmail won't send mail again
Hello! I want to use a perl CGI script behind apache to serve info inqueries and did something like the following: open(MAIL,"| $mailprog -t"); print MAIL "To: $to\n"; print MAIL "From: $webmaster_email\n"; print MAIL "X-Mailer: DaySpot Powered.\n"; print MAIL "Subject: $subject\n\n"; print MAIL "$message"; print MAIL "\n.\n"; close MAIL; Where From field is some yahoo email account. The apache runs as apache:apache. Now I find it couldn't send out ...

How to setup sendmail quickly and simple mail server
Hi I just need to know how to setup sendmail quickly . Are there are guides outhere to do a fast setup ? I just need one mailbox where I am planning to send some logs from a linux server. I would like just one person to login to the mailbox and look at messages . nothings fancy just a plain mailbox with a login ID and password I do have DNS server ...

Restrict Local From: mails on Sendmail Relay Servers
Hi, In our network we have a Sendmail relay server connected on our intranet and also to the public network. I would like to restrict the server to accept incoming mails with source local adresses only from our intranet. Example: Lets supose that our local domain is "local.dom". Considering this scenario I would to configure Sendmail only to accept mails with the "From: *@local.dom" comming from our intranet mail server and reject those comming from Internet apparently sended from a *@local.dom guy. Regards, Jordi ...

Redirecting Mail Rx By Sendmail To An Exchange Server
I am reasonably familiar with using sendmail as the primary MTA for a domain. However, I have a client that wants to do something I know can be done, but which I've never done myself, so I am turning to the geniuses here. I'm not looking for a spelled out solution, just a pointer on where to get started (though a turnkey solution will happily be accepted :) Today's Situation ----------------- The client runs their own mail infrastructure and their domain MX points to an Exchange server machine. What They Want -------------- 1) Run sendmail/MailScanner/clamav on a FreeBSD serv...

Sendmail virtual hosting, default mail server
Hi, googl'd quite a lot but couldn't find my answer. Can someone help ? We host several domains, on a single server. The server has different IP addresses, corresponding to the SMTP and POP servers for the domains. Domains are virtual in the sense that we don't use the the virtusertable, but the vdeliver utility of linuxconf : users don't have an account on our system. Everything works fine, e-mails are delivered and sent OK. Our question is the following : Is it possible to have sendmail send the mails from the "domain mail server" instead as from the local loop ? ...

Apple Mail; mail doesn't get to server to be "saved"
I'm still one of those increasingly few AOL users (got kids). Have had the account since '95. Anyway, when I got cable access at work, I decided to use my Mac Mini in the office to not only access my work email, but also the AOL account which I use at home for personal stuff. Running Tiger 10.4.7 and Apple Mail on both systems (G4 at home). Things worked fine for months; I simply configured the Mail application to access my office mail server and also my AOL account, which is IMAP. I only use AOL at home. When I use Mail at work, I still get all of my normal AOL mail. I think that wha...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

clarification needed on working of a mail server using sendmail
Greetings All, I have some confusion regarding working of a mail server . Please help me in clarifying this point. The scenario is like this. There is a mail server running in our organisation for sending mail ( sendmail ) . No POP and IMAP service are running on this mail server and we use to check our mails using webmail , a PHP based webmail program. I have configured EVOLUTION and in the sending mail option , I have used SMTP as the server type and in the server's ip address i have to the mail server. I have not configured the receive mail section as there is no POP and IMAP service running in our network. As far as my understanding goes , I should be able to send mail using evolution as it is configured for SMTP and the mail server is a working mail server . Now when I try to send mail , I receive the following error. "" Error while performing operation. MAIL FROM command failed: Access denied "" Please clarify me why I am getting this error and using the above configuration is it possible to send mail regards zaman ...

using sendmail MSP to forward mail to a central server
I've configured postfix as an MTA on my network, but for all the other machines, I just want to forward all mail directly to the central server. This means I don't really want a local sendmail server on each box. The questions I have are: 1. Is is OK to use FEATURE(`msp', `mailserver.my.domain') in submit.mc to send mail across the internal network, and should I do anything else in submit.mc to get sendmail to connect to my postfix server? 2. What's the recommended way of rewriting the To: address? It's useful to (somehow) preserve the original machine the mail w...

Web resources about - I'm sendmail from mail server - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...