Looking for a maildir mail reader for locally reading my mails under Windows

Hi,

I am now synchronzing my Gmail accounts with offlineimap.
All my accounts are saved (~ 40 GB of emails) in the maildir format
under a global mail directory.

I am now looking for a graphical mail reader that can directly read my
maildir directory.
If possible, I would like to avoid running an IMAP server for locally
reading my emails.

 - I eliminated Alpine, Cone, Gnus, Mutt, Pine which are text-based
readers.
 - I installed Opera Mail but did find how to tell it to load my local
maildir directory.
 - I installed Novell Evolution but the application seems very complex
& heavy (many processes are started) and it does too much for what I
need. Moreover, I quickly crashed the software.
 - KMail seems to be only available/supported on Unix platforms.

* Do you know any other graphical & local maildir readers for
Windows ?

* If not, could you advise me a good free IMAP server (the simpler to
configure is the better for me) ?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 04:10:02 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:

> I am now looking for a graphical mail reader that can directly read my
> maildir directory.
> If possible, I would like to avoid running an IMAP server for locally
> reading my emails.

And why, pray tell, do you think that a newsgroup dedicated to the program
sendmail is an appropriate place to ask?

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info
wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 04:10:02 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:
> > I am now looking for a graphical mail reader that can directly read my
> > maildir directory.
> > If possible, I would like to avoid running an IMAP server for locally
> > reading my emails.
>
> And why, pray tell, do you think that a newsgroup dedicated to the program
> sendmail is an appropriate place to ask?

People using sendmail generally generally know mail readers.
I just expected a program name and not a detailed answer.
In facts, I searched in the comp.mail.* forums but did not find a
really appropriated forum for my question.

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:26:49 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:

> People using sendmail generally generally know mail readers. I just
> expected a program name and not a detailed answer. In facts, I searched
> in the comp.mail.* forums but did not find a really appropriated forum
> for my question.

Consider checking the groups dedicated to Windows support.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info
Where there's a flamethrower, there's a way.
Castor Nageur wrote:
> On 9 nov, 19:24, Joe Zeff<the.guy.with.the.sidebu...@lasfs.info>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 04:10:02 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:
>>> I am now looking for a graphical mail reader that can directly read my
>>> maildir directory.
>>> If possible, I would like to avoid running an IMAP server for locally
>>> reading my emails.
>>
>> And why, pray tell, do you think that a newsgroup dedicated to the program
>> sendmail is an appropriate place to ask?
>
> People using sendmail generally generally know mail readers.
> I just expected a program name and not a detailed answer.
> In facts, I searched in the comp.mail.* forums but did not find a
> really appropriated forum for my question.

comp.mail.pine for all your questions about alpine

--

   //Aho
0
On 10 nov, 22:32, "J.O. Aho" <u...@example.net> wrote:

> comp.mail.pine for all your questions about alpine

Thank you, I will ask them if there is a Windows port.
On 10 nov, 22:32, "J.O. Aho" <u...@example.net> wrote:

> comp.mail.pine for all your questions about alpine

There is a Windows port but it is only text-based so it does not suit
to my users :-(

On 10 nov, 18:34, Joe Zeff <the.guy.with.the.sidebu...@lasfs.info>
wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:26:49 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:
> > People using sendmail generally generally know mail readers. I just
> > expected a program name and not a detailed answer. In facts, I searched
> > in the comp.mail.* forums but did not find a really appropriated forum
> > for my question.
>
> Consider checking the groups dedicated to Windows support.
>
> --
> Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:http://www.zeff.ushttp://www.lasfs.info
> Where there's a flamethrower, there's a way.

Unfortunately, maildir format is generally supported by Unix readers/
servers so it is very difficult to find answers on Windows forums.
Anyway, I understand that comp.mail.sendmail is not the appropriate
forum for my question.
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 06:15:57 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:

> Unfortunately, maildir format is generally supported by Unix readers/
> servers so it is very difficult to find answers on Windows forums.
> Anyway, I understand that comp.mail.sendmail is not the appropriate
> forum for my question.

Still, if there is such a program, you're more likely to find it on a
Windows forum than here.  I hope you find what you need, and that one of
our suggestions pointed you in the right direction.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info
All property is theft, except mine.
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 at 06:13 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:

> On 10 nov, 22:32, "J.O. Aho" <u...@example.net> wrote:
>
>> comp.mail.pine for all your questions about alpine
>
> There is a Windows port but it is only text-based so it does not
> suit to my users :-(

I think you can do everything you want in Alpine just using the mouse.
That is what my wife does, so probably your users can too.

--

Rob Brown                        b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd.      (780)438-9343 (voice)

0
mylastname3 (505)
11/11/2011 8:51:54 PM
On 11 nov, 21:51, Rob Brown <mylastn...@gmcl.com> wrote:

> I think you can do everything you want in Alpine just using the mouse.
> That is what my wife does, so probably your users can too.

I just downloaded/installed and it seems easy to use like you said.
The only problem is you have to patch the sources to get the maildir
support.
.... and the patch seems to be only available for Unix.
I do not know why maildir seems to hate Windows ;-)

Castor Nageur wrote:
> On 11 nov, 21:51, Rob Brown<mylastn...@gmcl.com>  wrote:
>
>> I think you can do everything you want in Alpine just using the mouse.
>> That is what my wife does, so probably your users can too.
>
> I just downloaded/installed and it seems easy to use like you said.
> The only problem is you have to patch the sources to get the maildir
> support.
> ... and the patch seems to be only available for Unix.
> I do not know why maildir seems to hate Windows ;-)

Install Linux and use KDE3.5 with MS-look and I'm sure your users won't notice
anything ;P

--

   //Aho
0
On 14 nov, 06:49, "J.O. Aho" <u...@example.net> wrote:

> Install Linux and use KDE3.5 with MS-look and I'm sure your users won't notice
> anything ;P

;-)
On 11 nov, 21:51, Rob Brown <mylastn...@gmcl.com> wrote:

> I think you can do everything you want in Alpine just using the mouse.
> That is what my wife does, so probably your users can too.

I finally installed an Ubuntu virtual machine over W7, ran a Samba
daemon to share my W7 maildirs (I synchronize my IMAP gmail folders
with the Cygwin version of offlineimap running continuously as a W7
service).

From Ubuntu, I run Evolution which is the default Ubuntu mail reader :
it has a nice and ergonomic GUI and perfectly loaded all my maildir's
accounts.
You can use this FREE tiny little utility http://www.bitrecover.com/maildir/viewer/ to read your maildir files in offline mode.

This application will allow you to easily view your maildir email messages stored and copied locally on a Windows computer.
0
TechGuru

Web resources about - Looking for a maildir mail reader for locally reading my mails under Windows - comp.mail.sendmail

Cruz Must Be the Anti-Trump
Is there any way for Ted Cruz or John Kasich to wrest the Republican nomination from Donald Trump? With every tick of the clock, it looks less ...

iPhone SE reviews are glowing as device now available for pre-order
The iPhone SE unveiling may not have been accompanied by the type of fanfare that usually drapes iPhone announcements, but make no mistake about ...

Elizabeth Olsen Opens Up About Tom Hiddleston Dating Rumors
Tom Hiddleston waves to fans as he arrives at NBC Studios on Thursday (March 24) in New York City. The 35-year-old actor was stopping by the ...

Full Episode: WN 03/24/16: Comedian Garry Shandling Dead at 66
US authorities believe they know who the third suspect in Brussels terror attack is; possible link between caffeine and fertility.

How the internet manipulated Microsoft's AI chatbot into learning and repeating hate speech
Alex Kantrowitz / BuzzFeed : How the internet manipulated Microsoft's AI chatbot into learning and repeating hate speech — How The Internet Turned ...

Ex-Bosnian Serb leader Karadzic faces war crimes verdict at UN court
Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, has been found guilty of crimes against humanity and sentenced to 40 years in prison after standing ...

It sounds like buying Nest has been a total disaster for Google
Back when Google bought Nest in 2014 , many people expected great things to come from the partnership. More than two years later, however, the ...

Microsoft may help finance Yahoo takeover amid board changes
Yahoo’s sale is moving slowly, but new money from Microsoft may help accelerate it. A new report from Kara Swisher in Re/code today said that ...

The Oculus Rift Has Finally Begun Shipping
It’s been four years since Oculus Rift fired up its first Kickstarter , but the long wait is nearly over: Rift headsets will start landing in ...

Justin Bieber Becomes First Artist to Hit 10 Billion Vevo Views!
A congrats is in order for Justin Bieber ! The 22-year-old “Sorry” singer just became the first artist to hit 10 billion total views on his ...