Mail Quota on Sendmail

hi

i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail
quota over sendmail.
By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum
of 2.1GB's of mailbox.
after that the mails start bouncing back & they used to be /var/spool/
mqueue & I want to set it to
unlimited(size of my harddrive) for all the users.

please help If anyone can guide me in installing the quota.

hi

please anyone help me in below matter
i'll be very thankful to u

Anshul

On Jun 12, 2:27 am, Sendmail <chauhanans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> please anyone help me in below matter
> i'll be very thankful to u
>
> Anshul
>
> Sendmail wrote:
> > hi
>
> > i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail
> > quota over sendmail.
> > By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum
> > of 2.1GB's of mailbox.
> > after that the mails start bouncing back & they used to be /var/spool/
> > mqueue & I want to set it to
> > unlimited(size of my harddrive) for all the users.
>
> > please help If anyone can guide me in installing the quota.

Mail quotas are typically set using the quotatool

Suppose you have ubuntu/debian

apt-get install quota quotatool

man quota
man quotatool

Or you could use something like webmin. I am certain there are other
options.

There are some caveats you should be aware of. The rule of thumb seems
to be that you should set your hard limit to twice your soft limit.

0
jmaimon (679)
6/12/2008 10:24:46 AM
On Jun 12, 3:24 pm, "jmai...@ttec.com" <jmai...@ttec.com> wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2:27 am, Sendmail <chauhanans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > hi
>
> > please anyone help me in below matter
> > i'll be very thankful to u
>
> > Anshul
>
> > Sendmail wrote:
> > > hi
>
> > > i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail
> > > quota over sendmail.
> > > By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum
> > > of 2.1GB's of mailbox.
> > > after that the mails start bouncing back & they used to be /var/spool/
> > > mqueue & I want to set it to
> > > unlimited(size of my harddrive) for all the users.
>
> > > please help If anyone can guide me in installing the quota.
>
> Mail quotas are typically set using the quotatool
>
> Suppose you have ubuntu/debian
>
> apt-get install quota quotatool
>
> man quota
> man quotatool
>
> Or you could use something like webmin. I am certain there are other
> options.
>
> There are some caveats you should be aware of. The rule of thumb seems
> to be that you should set your hard limit to twice your soft limit.

hi

i'm using centos4.5
when i tried

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa quota
quota-3.12-6.el4

there is no rpm like quota tool
i tried yum install/update quota
but it doesn't show me any updates

 when i tried the Disk Quotas option in webmin
it gives me this error

No local filesystems can support quotas.

You can enable quotas for a filesystem in the Disk and Network
Filesystems module.

i've tried it thrugh like quotaon quotaoff  aquota.user but i'm not
able to succeed can u gve me some hints & some web interface other
then webmin.

Thanks for ur reply.
Anshul
On 06/10/08 03:30, Sendmail wrote:
> By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum
> of 2.1GB's of mailbox.

The 2.1 GB sounds like a file system limit on the size of a single file.
  If this is the case you will have to have a file system and binaries
that support individual files being larger than 2 GB (should really be
2,250 MB or there abouts).

Another option would be to change to something like Maildir that has an
individual file for each individual message.  I'm betting that you would
have better performance too as dealing with a multi-gigabyte mail spool
file will be a *big* PITA for the system, where as Maildir will be
*MUCH* nicer on the system.

Grant. . . .

0
gtaylor (1357)

mails sent by sendmail were treated as junk mail
Hi there, I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure it to work as my main mailserver which allow POP3 and SMTP connection from outside. My problem is that I cannot send out any mails which appears like sender: xxx@mydomain.com. If I send mail through terminal, my sent-out mail would looks like aaa@hostname.mydomain.com instead of aaa@mydomain.com. hostnam.mydomain.com is a qualified name of my linux box runing sendmail. Second, I configured a openwebmail on this linux box to allow users login from anywhere to manager their mails, and it works fine. However, all the out-going mails se...

Hello all, I am setting up a very secure Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server version 4 update 6 server. My sendmail version is 8.13.1. My mail server is a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 with its patches. They are both on the same subnet. DNS is on and it will resolve the mail server's name and IP. SSH, SCP, SFTP, and such tools are the only networkable protocols on. NFS if off, MOUNTD is off, PORTMAP is off, and such. Until just recently sendmail was off on the RHEL server as part of the hardening procedure. However part of the auditing requirements is for a mail messag...

Mail::Sendmail cannot connect to localhost but the mail command can
Hello, I have a script that uses Mail::Sendmail, this script works just fine in 4 different boxes (RedHat and Solaris). Nevertheless, there is this Solaris machine where it doesn't work, and this is the error I get in the $Mail::Sendmail::error variable: connect to localhost failed (Connection refused) The thing that puzzles me, is that in the same machine, the mail command works just fine. <snipet> 39 sfx@et2:ver_2> mail andres@monroy.com testing .. </snipet> As far as I know, mail tries to send emails via the localhost SMTP just as Mail::Sendmail does. I also tried c...

sendmail patch overwrites /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Beware: just installed patch 122857-02 (would be 122856 on SPARC) on my machine. Why does this patch overwrite my (custom) /etc/mail/sendmail.cf? This file is marked in the /var/sadm/install/contents database as "e" so should be left alone during patch installation. At least a notice in the patch README would have been nice, but this file just contains useless NOTEs most of the time. Better leave the sendmail.cf alone if it has been changed from the installed one (can be simply checked with the checksum in /var/sadm/install/contents) -- Daniel On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Daniel Rock...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate fi...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

sendmail.sendmail?
I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the sendmail file is in /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating. Is there some configuration remaining or do I just need to rename the file to sendmail? Thanks Dan DeLion <noemail@northpole.nowhere> wrote: > I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the > sendmail file is in > /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail > I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating. Is there some > configuration remaining or do I just need t...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local...

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Fro...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 o...

hi this is sasidhar, we have CentOS5 with default sendmail configuration. Initially it is sending mails to gmail, yahoo etc. last few days it is not sending mails to yahoo. In maillog I observed that for yahoo mails the stat value is deferred. I tried everything by browsing google but I didn't find any solution to this problem. Finally I came here with lots of hope. In mail queue there are more than 1 lack, most of them yahoo, rediff etc. For gmail it is not giving any problem every mail is going. please give any suggestions to solve this problem. Thanks, sasidhar. On 11/5/2009 11:...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration fi...

Sendmail/Cyrus: bounce mail immediately if mailbox over quota
Sendmail with Cyrus IMAP as message store backend, if the recipient mailbox is over quota, puts the mail into its queue and waits up to five day for the mailbox to drain. I would much prefer if it returned such mails immediately, and AFAIK both senders and intended receivers of such mails see it that way too. Any ideas how to achieve this? -- Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de Phoenix Software GmbH Tel. +49 228 97199 0 Adolf-Hombitzer-Str. 12 Fax +49 228 97199 99 53227 Bonn, Germany ...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hell...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-(...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ???????, ???????
Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? What can I do to fix this? sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? OS Solaris 10 Sendmail 8.13.6 Thanks Jeff spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote: > Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? > What can I do to fix this? > sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: > SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? > > OS Solaris 10 > Sendmail 8.13.6 &...

Sendmail: mails rejected with "550-unrouteable mail domain "blade150.lafr.de""
mails sent from my Sun Blade 150 (Solaris 9) via sendmail are rejected by the destination mail server with message shown above in the subject line. My sendmail.mc file look like this: divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`@(#)main.mc 1.5 (Sun) 08/10/00') OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl FEATURE(`allmasquerade') MASQUERADE_AS(lafr.de)dnl MAILER(`local')dnl MAILER(`smtp')dnl I put in the domain name "lafr.de". I thought this will change user@host.domain.de to user@domain.de. But it seems that I am missing something else. Who can help me ? Regards - F...

Sendmail Exception reached when thousands emails sent in bulk mail script. Has sendmail a email-sent limit for a given process?
Hello, I have explained here my issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/484812/sendmail-exception-reached-when-thousands-emails-sent-in-bulk-mail-script-has-s/484814?noredirect=1#comment540576_484814 Thanks in advance! enicolas.riquelme@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I have explained here my issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/484812/sendmail-exception-reached-when-thousands-emails-sent-in-bulk-mail-script-has-s/484814?noredirect=1#comment540576_484814 > > Thanks in advance! > It would be more convenient for (future) readers of (an archive of) this newsg...

Web resources about - Mail Quota on Sendmail - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...