mail.local /var/mail/[username]: Permission denied

Hello all -

I'm hoping someone can spot what should be an obvious error in the
situation below.  I've been looking at it too long and I'm sure I'm
overlooking something.

I am seeing errors in my outgoing mail server log as below.  Some
local users are unable to send mail due to reported permission
errors.  Apparently mail is not being allowed to my local domain(s).

This server handles outbound mail only.

Sendmail information

Version 8.14.3
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8
MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF
USERDB
                XDEBUG

I upgraded to this version of sendmail - 8.14.3 after this problem
surfaced, hoping some of the default permissions would be corrected.

Example event log
-----------------------------
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33832]: m990EqK4033832:
Subject:Email.delivery.check
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33832]: m990EqK4033832:
from=<jstretch@mydomain.com>, size=406, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<48ED4CF5.5050006@mydomain.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=port10.net.mydomain.com [66.xxx.xxx.xxx]
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mail.local: /var/mail/[user]: Permission
denied
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK4033832:
to=<[user]@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<jstretch@mydomain.com> (1001/1001),
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=30651, dsn=5.0.0,
stat=Service unavailable
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK4033832:
m990EqK4033833: DSN: Service unavailable
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK4033833:
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mail.local: /var/mail/jstretch: Permission
denied
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK4033833:
to=<jstretch@mydomain.com>, delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=local, pri=31675, dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK4033833:
m990EqK5033833: return to sender: Service unavailable
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK5033833:
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK5033833:
Subject:Returned.mail:see.transcript.for.details
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK5033833:
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mail.local: /var/mail/jstretch: Permission
denied
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK5033833:
to=jstretch@mydomain.com, delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=local, pri=32699, dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK4033833: Losing ./
qfm990EqK4033833: savemail panic
Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK4033833:
SYSERR(root): savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere
-------------------

I have checked the aliases file and the root and postmaster alias both
point to my jstretch mailbox.

#/usr/libexec ->sendmail -bv MAILER-DAEMON
jstretch@mydomain.com... deliverable: mailer local, user jstretch

#/usr/libexec ->sendmail -bv postmaster
jstretch@mydomain.com... deliverable: mailer local, user jstretch

The above example valid user's /var/mail file has these permissions:
-rwxrw----  1 [username]  mail  0 Oct  8 09:06     [probably incorrect
- after numerous tries in making permission changes]

My mailbox on this machine has these permissions:
-rwxrw----  1 jstretch  mail  0 Oct  8 12:45 jstretch  [Also probably
incorrect as above.]

The aliases files have these permissions:
-rw-r-----   1 root  wheel   1732 Oct  8 14:32 aliases
-rw-r-----   1 root  wheel  65536 Oct  8 17:30 aliases.db

The /etc/mail directory has these permissions:

drwxr-x---   2 root    wheel        1024 Oct  8 17:34 mail

I've varied the permissions to excess in attempting to allow the /usr/
libexec/mail.local to have permission to write to these folders.

I have forced installation of the mail.local which gives bin:bin
ownership and 555 permissions.

Per a posting in this forum, I changed the permissions to root:bin as
follows:
-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  75285 Oct  8 18:05 mail.local

I have tried setting all my users /var/mail/ files to the users group,
and to the mail group.

And... I'm still getting the /var/mail/[username]  permission denied
message.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Jerry Stretch

jays wrote:

> Oct  8 19:14:52 mailserv mail.local: /var/mail/[user]: Permission
> denied

This tells you quite exactly whats the problem, that sendmail can't write to
the /var/mail/[user] file, either the file has the wrong privileges or that
the /var/mail directory has the wrong privileges.

--

  //Aho
0
On Oct 9, 12:04=A0am, "J.O. Aho" <u...@example.net> wrote:
> jays wrote:
> > Oct =A08 19:14:52 mailserv mail.local: /var/mail/[user]: Permission
> > denied
>
> This tells you quite exactly whats the problem, that sendmail can't write=
> the /var/mail/[user] file, either the file has the wrong privileges or th=
at
> the /var/mail directory has the wrong privileges.
>
> --
>
> =A0 //Aho

Thanks J.O. for the reply.

That's exactly what I found.  I had to follow the entire path and
correct the  permissions on both the /var/mail, /var/spool/mqueue,
and /var/spool/clientmqueue to allow the program the access it needed.

I figured it was some bone-headed blunder... but some of those are
hard to find.

Now it's working... and I'm headed to the house.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Jay

mail looks in ~/newmail, not /var/mail/username
I have an NIS+ domain with a mixture of Solaris 9, 8, and 7 machines. The machines all share home directories and a /var/mail NFS mounted from a central server. I want all the accounts to read their mail in /var/mail/(username). For *some* accounts on the Solaris 9 machines, when I type 'mail' (/usr/ucb/mail), I get: No mail for newmail If I run the Elm mail reader, it attempts to read mail in ~/newmail ; pine seems to work fine. I would expect all the mail readers to look for mail in /var/mail/(username) - all the older versions of Solaris seem to do this as I want. I don&...

/var/mail -vs- /var/spool/mail
Would be better to have: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 19 12:18 /var/mail -> spool/mail drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 72 Apr 19 12:18 /var/spool/mail or: drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 72 Apr 19 12:18 /var/mail lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 19 12:18 /var/spool/mail -> ../mail -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- | Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ | | (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote: > Would be better to have: > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 19 12:18 /var/mail -> spool/mail > drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 72 Apr 19 12:18 /var/spool/mail Make /var/spool/mail a separate partition and you can also set userquota on the various inboxes. Davide -- Windows 95 is not a virus. Viruses actually do something. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:49:03 +0200 Davide Bianchi <davideyeahsure@onlyforfun.net> wrote: | On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote: |> Would be better to have: |> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 19 12:18 /var/mail -> spool/mail |> drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 72 Apr 19 12:18 /var/spool/mail | | Make /var/spool/mail a separate partition and you can also set userquota | on the various inboxes. I was...

Howto deny external mail to root and still accept local mail to root
Hey guys, I'm a n00b to sendmail, but have done my fair share of reading up on it and still cannot find out the following: How can I deny external mail to root and still accept local mail. The root account on our production system is getting hammered by unwanted outside mail. We still wish to receive local mail such as cron job output and other system messages destined for root. I was unable to find any sendmail configurations to achieve this. Any help or resources would be immensely appreciated!! Thanks for your time, Dan On 6/24/2007 10:57 AM, daniel.dowd@gmail.com wrote: > How can I deny external mail to root and still accept local mail. The > root account on our production system is getting hammered by unwanted > outside mail. We still wish to receive local mail such as cron job > output and other system messages destined for root. I was unable to > find any sendmail configurations to achieve this. Do some reading / research on "Protected Recipients". Protected Recipients is usually used to say who can (local) and can not (non local) email recipients with in a company, but should also work for root. Grant. . . . On Jun 24, 10:57 am, daniel.d wrote: > Hey guys, I'm a n00b to sendmail, but have done my fair share of > reading up on it and still cannot find out the following: > > How can I deny external mail to root and still accept local mail. The > root account on our production system is getting hammered by u...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ > How to do that? If everything else fails: - delete mail - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail On 18 Aug 2005, Holger Marzen wrote: > * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > >> I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ >> How to do that? > > If everything else fails: > > - delete mail > - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail What Holger wrote should work, but it's cleaner to change where Pine looks for mailboxes. I discuss this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more >...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only :) one such directory? Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, if so remove it. It is possible that this may break other applications (e.g. Mutt). Hopefully it won't. Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: > > :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems > :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both > :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is > :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only > :) one such directory? Eduardo Chappa wrote: > Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, No. The directories are not...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to ".mail/". Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". > Change "mail/" to ".mail/". This is great! Thanks Eduardo!! I'll never change from Pine. That's for sure. > http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I would like to change my email when using mailinglists. The only thing Pine now needs is a way to use PGP/GPG as attachments...=) Hugs, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any :) effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I :) would like to change my email w...

MAIL=/var/spool/mail/root
for my user bart I do echo $HOME bart echo $MAIL /var/spool/mail/root and procmail deliver mail to root all the time how to change this? I tried add in bart/.bashrc MAIL=/var/spool/mail/bart export MAIL echo $MAIL shows correct value but procmail still deliver mail to root it has to take this variable from somewhere else I think system rh9 procmail 3.22 sendmail 8.12.9 Barti wrote: > echo $HOME > bart That looks incorrect; "echo $HOME" should return a full path. Have you instead pasted the output from "echo $USER"? > echo $MAIL shows correct value but pr...

mail.local hashed mail spool
Hello; I would like to implement a hashed mail spool and would like to know if there is a patch to make mail.local recognize the hash structure? Checked google and came up with dead links or *use procmail*. Any help is appreciated Mark Andrzej Adam Filip wrote: > Mark wrote: > >> I would like to implement a hashed mail spool and would like to know >> if there is a patch to make mail.local recognize the hash structure? >> Checked google and came up with dead links or *use procmail*. > > > > IMHO it is a simple patch. > In mail.local/mail.l...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Mail 2.1, two PBG4s, synchronizing mail and mail problems
Here's the sitch: PBG4 w/broken screen, running an external (duh) Samsung monitor. This is my shop PB, it's currently masquerading as an immobile desktop. PBG4 all fixy-fix. Mostly keep at home, but also on the road. LaCie 320GB external Firewire drive. backup at shop (used Migration Assistant to copy the shop PB's system (10.4.7), apps, and docs to the FireWire drive) Two mail accounts -- one on each PB -- both of which accounts dump into Mail 2.1, on both PBs. With me so far? *I'm* already lost... Problem one: Is there a way -- besides signing up with .Mac -- that I can synchronize the mail on both machines? Failing that, is there a way -- besides doing it message-by-message -- to save the text and attachments from new mail messages? Problem two: Though by all means I can understand, both PBs are set up exactly the same way and certainly the mail prefs are the same, when I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at home, it opens Firefox to the correct page, just like it ought to do, but if I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at the shop, the mail window flashes once, but nothing opens. Both PBs are set up with Firefox as the default browser. What in the ding-dong am I doing wrong? Thanks! Bart Brown ...

Block Mail From Local Account But Allow It To Receive Mail?
Spammers are forging mail making it appear to come *from* one of my local accounts. These are accounts that do need to receive mail but are never used to send it. If I attempt to add such phony senders to my access file to be REJECTed, it also blocks the legitimate account from *receiving* mail as it should because I have blacklist_recipients enabled in my .mc file. (I do need to block some local users from ever receiving mail.) So how do I configure sendmail to: 1) Accept mail for some local accounts, but block mail that appears to be *sent* by them. 2) Also completely block send/receiving for certain other local accounts? TIA. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tim Daneliuk tundra@tundraware.com PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/ Tim Daneliuk wrote: > Spammers are forging mail making it appear to come *from* one of my > local accounts. These are accounts that do need to receive mail but > are never used to send it. If I attempt to add such phony senders to my > access file to be REJECTed, it also blocks the legitimate account from > *receiving* mail as it should because I have blacklist_recipients > enabled in my .mc file. (I do need to block some local users from > ever receiving mail.) > > So how do I configure sendmail to: > > 1) Accept mail for some local accounts, but block mail that appears to > be *sent* by them. > > 2) Also completely block sen...

editing the root mail file in /var/spool/mail
var/spool/mail I want to set up a cron job that would look at the various mail files and keep only 4 weeks worth. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on this ? Cheers visivd In article <544c86db.0404220733.5860ec63@posting.google.com>, visvid <simon@pro-tel.co.uk> wrote: >var/spool/mail I want to set up a cron job that would look at the >various mail files and keep only 4 weeks worth. > >Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on this ? Use procmail to deliver mail to one of 28 or 29 directories. Then use cron to delete everything in the appropriate oldest of ...

Mail.app
I lost some mail today. I had dragged a couple of folders to a new location. When I looked in the folders, it appeared the mail was there but everything was empty. I tried rebuilding the folders and the headers disappeared as well. At that point I was pretty desperate. Most of the mail was from today and would not be on my backup. I restarted the computer and rebuilt the folders again. Low-and-behold, most of the mail came back but not all of it and I am still missing a couple of items I can not afford to lose. So, what did I do, so I can avoid doing it again? How can ...

mail.app does not fetch mail
Hi: For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via pine on the shell account at the isp. Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the mailers I have around seem to support ssl. Any help greatly appreciated! Eric In article <250120041742285724%UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie>, Eric Rainey <UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie> wrote: > Hi: > For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my > pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or > the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via > pine on the shell account at the isp. > Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a > little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. > I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the > mailers I have around seem to support ssl. > Any help greatly appreciated! > Eric Same thing's been happening with my version of Mail.app, v. 1.2.5. Problems started a few days ago when checking my DotMac account. The mailbox soon went dim. Under the Mailbox Menu, I noticed the DotMac account was Offline. Restorin...

Mail hiding mail
hi! I am switching (maybe?) to Apple's Mail program. I like that Spotlight seems to have indexed some stuff I tried out there long ago having imported it from Eudora as a test. And Mail's searching is pretty fast, too. But... I just watched Mail grind away importing my old Netscape/Mozilla mail. As a test, I searched for a random word. It found a message, but when I looked at the message body it read, in italics: " The message from robert a moeser <ram@XXXXtiacYYYY.net> concerning �The measure of a cat...� has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take ...

Release mail in the Mail.box
Hello, I'm knid of new to Notes admin, I have some mail in the mail.box waiting to go out. Is there a way I can force the messages to go out? I had some firewall issues, but the firewall issues are taken care of and now I need to get the mail out. Thanks, d ...

mail() goes to Junk Mail
Hi, I tried to send email from my server using mail() but the email goes to @xyz.com junk mail folders. Why is that so? How can I fix it? Thank you, --Andre Phandana On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:53:18 -0500, "Andre Phandana" <aphandan@purdue.edu> wrote: >Hi, I tried to send email from my server using mail() but the email goes to >@xyz.com junk mail folders. >Why is that so? Have you asked the mail administrator of xyz.com? >How can I fix it? There's the flippant answer of "don't send junk", but it might be better if you posted an example of how you're sending your email and an example of its contents. -- Andy Hassall / <andy@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk> <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool "Andre Phandana" wrote: > Hi, I tried to send email from my server using mail() but the email > goes to > @xyz.com junk mail folders. > Why is that so? > How can I fix it? > > Thank you, > > --Andre Phandana There are some ways mail receivers determine an email to be "junk". Avaoid using numbers in the email address. Make sure the receiver can do a "reverse DNS lookup", i.e. send the mail from proper domain. It is true that with today�s junk mail filters, very many legit emails end up there as well. -- http://www.dbForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request Articles individually ch...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM ...

Archiving mail from mail.app
I need to save just every mail I receive and be able to search the archive. Mail.app's search capabilities are pathetic at best. I've searched around and found some AppleScript's that do some manner of import into FileMaker database, but they are limited in file size and capability to deal with attachments. I currently create new mailboxes with old mail to keep the mailbox from growing too huge, but am still stuck with poor search features. Otherwise, I am quite happy with Mail.app (Jaguar) and prefer to keep it. Does anyone have practical solutions for dealing with large ...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM "FabienM" <FabienM@badadress.fr> writes: > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom of the screen and none of the body content should be visible any more. When you're done, double-click on it again. Or drag it instead of double-clicking on it. -- Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed. No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html Are you posting responses that are easy for others to follow? http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting > > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... > > double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages > from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom > of the screen and none of the body content should be visible > any more. fabulous !!! it's crazy how a double-click can save your life... :) t...

Web resources about - mail.local /var/mail/[username]: Permission denied - comp.mail.sendmail