Mailer flag 'o'

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi all,

I'm trying to get sendmail to deliver to Dovecot LDA ('deliver').

It works like this:

FEATURE(`local_procmail',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver',
   `deliver -d $u')dnl

But I would like to use the 'w' and 'o' flags, so that deliver is invoked
as the user who owns the mailbox, like this:

FEATURE(`local_procmail',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver',
   `deliver',`Pfhnwo9')dnl

SPfhn9 are the default flags for local_procmail, so I have just added 'w'
and 'o', and removed 'S'.

The Installation and Operation Guide states describes these as:

w	The user must have a valid account on this machine, i.e.,
	getpwnam must succeed. If not, the mail is bounced. See
	also the MailBoxDatabase option. This is required to get
	“.forward” capability.

o	Always run as the owner of the recipient mailbox. Normally
	sendmail runs as the sender for locally generated mail or as
	“daemon” (actually, the user specified in the u option) when
	delivering network mail. The normal behavior is required by most
	local mailers, which will not allow the envelope sender address
	to be set unless the mailer is running as daemon. This flag is
	ignored if the S flag is set.

S	Don’t reset the userid before calling the mailer. This would be
	used in a secure environment where sendmail ran as root. This
	could be used to avoid forged addresses. If the U= field is also
	specified, this flag causes the effective user id to be set to
	that user.

However, when I try to run a message with these settings, sendmail
doesn't work.  If I run

root@classic.viza.gotdns.com # sendmail -v -qf

Running /var/spool/mqueue/m5PGUgkI010008 (sequence 1 of 1)
<tcv@classic.viza.gotdns.com>... Connecting to local...
<tcv@classic.viza.gotdns.com>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
classic.viza.gotdns.com

It blocked at the "Connecting to local..." for several minutes.

By replacing deliver with a tiny program that logs its uid, euid and what
it can read, I can tell that deliver is being started properly with the
uid and euid of the destination user (tcv above), and that read
( STDIN_FILENO, ..) returns 0.

By making the tiny program do close( STDOUT_FILENO ) before trying to
read, sendmail does not block:

Running /var/spool/mqueue/m5PGUgkI010008 (sequence 1 of 1)
<tcv@classic.viza.gotdns.com>... Connecting to local...
<tcv@classic.viza.gotdns.com>... Deferred: Connection reset by
classic.viza.gotdns.com

The above is instant.

So why does adding the 'o' option to a mailer make it try to read from
the standard output of the mailer program?

I guess it is waiting for a "220 host SMTP ready" line or similar, but
there is nothing in the documentation to say that it does that.  How do I
get it to run as the correct user but just blindly pipe the message
through, like FEATURE(`local_procmail') normally does?

Thanks

viza.
0
Reply tom.viza2 (51) 6/25/2008 4:54:54 PM

See related articles to this posting

On 06/25/08 11:54, viza wrote:
Not an answer to your question, but some thoughts about it.

> FEATURE(`local_procmail',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver',
>    `deliver',`Pfhnwo9')dnl

Rather than re-defining the binary of the `local_procmail' ""mailer, why
not create a new ""mailer for Dovecot?  You should be able to create a
new ""mailer by copying the cf/feature/local_procmail.m4 file to
something like cf/feature/dovecot.m4 and editing accordingly.  You will
get the same effect as editing the `local_procmail' ""mailer as far as
delivery is concerned.  As an added benefit, the `local_procmail'
""mailer will still be valid so you could chose to use it for other
things and even better is you could submit the cf/feature/dovecot.m4
file back to Dovecot for inclusion in to future releases for much easier
inclusion via a simple (copy a file if it does not exist)
"FEATURE(`Dovecot', <bla>)" line in your .mc file.

> SPfhn9 are the default flags for local_procmail, so I have just added 'w'
> and 'o', and removed 'S'.

I don't know what the other flags indicate off the top of my head, and
as such I'll have to look them up to better respond.

> So why does adding the 'o' option to a mailer make it try to read from
> the standard output of the mailer program?
>
> I guess it is waiting for a "220 host SMTP ready" line or similar, but
> there is nothing in the documentation to say that it does that.  How do I
> get it to run as the correct user but just blindly pipe the message
> through, like FEATURE(`local_procmail') normally does?

Normal ""mailers (local, prog, mailman, procmail) send data to STDIN of
the LDA and may read the exit status of the LDA.  However based on what
you say, it sounds like your your sendmail is wanting to speak LMTP with
the ""mailer.

Grant. . . .

0
Reply gtaylor (1357) 6/25/2008 5:30:49 PM

0
Reply carl8110 (134) 6/25/2008 6:31:48 PM

Hi,

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:31:48 -0700, Carl Byington wrote:
>> On 06/25/08 11:54, viza wrote:

>>> FEATURE(`local_procmail',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver',
>>>    `deliver',`Pfhnwo9')dnl
>
> So why does adding the 'o' option to a mailer make it try to read from
> the standard output of the mailer program?
>
> I had the same problem. It seems that sendmail tries to speak LMTP if
> the third argument to that FEATURE does NOT include $u.

Thanks Carl, that's really useful.  Has this been formally reported in a
bugzilla or whatever else sendmail uses?

> Try
> FEATURE(`local_procmail',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver',
>    `deliver $u',`Pfhnwo9')dnl
>
> but I don't know if that extra argument will mess up dovecot/deliver.

Spare arguments will upset dovecot deliver.  My first thought was to just
set the argument vector to just `$u' (after making sure that deliver
doesn't care what argv[0] is), but that doesn't work with sendmail either.

So, here is a complete workaround using a wrapper: (source code follows)

First compile the wrapper program, defining the location of deliver and
outputting into the same directory, in my case:

cc -DEXECUTABLE='"/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver"' \
  -o /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver-wrapper deliver-wrapper.c

and change the ownership and mode of deliver-wrapper to be the same as
deliver, in my case:

chown root:bin /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver-wrapper
chmod 555 /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver-wrapper

In sendmail.mc, set the executable to the location of the wrapper and the
argument vector to include -_ $u.  Use whatever flags you need, although
this workaround isn't necessary if you aren't trying to use the flag
'o' (because you would be using -d $u in any other case).

FEATURE(`local_procmail',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver-wrapper',
   `deliver -_ $u',`Pfhnwo9')dnl

That's it.  Here is the source for the wrapper program:

/* deliver-wrapper.c PUBLIC DOMAIN 2008 tom.viza@gmail.com */
/* remove -_ foo or -_foo from argument vector */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#ifndef EXECUTABLE
#error you must use -DEXECUTABLE='"/usr/bin/whatever"'
#endif

int main( int argc, char **argv ){
  char **dest= argv + 1;
  char **src= dest;

  while( *src ){
    if( '-' == src[0][0] && '_' == src[0][1] ){
      if( src[0][2] )
        ++src;

      else {
        if( src[1] )
          src+= 2;
        else
          break;
      }
    }
    else
      *dest++= *src++;
  }
  *dest= NULL;
  execv( EXECUTABLE, argv );
  perror( "exec " EXECUTABLE );
  exit( EXIT_FAILURE );
}

HTH
viza
0
Reply tom.viza2 (51) 6/25/2008 9:22:04 PM

In article <0Gy8k.63071$7m7.6202@newsfe30.ams2> viza <tom.viza@gmil.com>
writes:

>On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:31:48 -0700, Carl Byington wrote:
>>
>> I had the same problem. It seems that sendmail tries to speak LMTP if
>> the third argument to that FEATURE does NOT include $u.
>
>Thanks Carl, that's really useful.  Has this been formally reported in a
>bugzilla or whatever else sendmail uses?

It's working as designed - from doc/op/op.*:

           If the argument vector does not contain  $u  then
      sendmail will speak SMTP (or LMTP if the mailer flag z
      is specified) to the mailer.

It's pretty reasonable, since there must be some way for sendmail to
tell the mailer program who the recipient(s) is/are... I guess
dovecot/deliver infers that from the uid it is run as, which seems
rather "weird".

[snip wrapper that throws away $u]

Just make sure that you don't have 'm' in the mailer flags - if you do,
sendmail will expand $u to cover all of them for a message with multiple
recipients. It would seem that 'm' is incompatible with 'o', but I'm not
sure what happens if you have both.

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
Reply per71 (2634) 6/25/2008 11:05:25 PM

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:05:25 +0000, Per Hedeland wrote:

> In <0Gy8k.63071$7m7.6202@newsfe30.ams2> viza <tom.viza@gmil.com> writes:
>>On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:31:48 -0700, Carl Byington wrote:
>>>
>>> I had the same problem. It seems that sendmail tries to speak LMTP if
>>> the third argument to that FEATURE does NOT include $u.
>>
>>Thanks Carl, that's really useful.  Has this been formally reported in a
>>bugzilla or whatever else sendmail uses?
>
> It's working as designed - from doc/op/op.*:
>
>            If the argument vector does not contain  $u  then
>       sendmail will speak SMTP (or LMTP if the mailer flag z is
>       specified) to the mailer.

That is hideously ambiguous!  I don't know if any policy makers read
here, but shouldn't there be explicit flags to choose smtp, lmtp or
piping to stdin?

> It's pretty reasonable, since there must be some way for sendmail to
> tell the mailer program who the recipient(s) is/are... I guess
> dovecot/deliver infers that from the uid it is run as, which seems
> rather "weird".

It's fairly common to discard privileges if they are not required.  Once
the deliver process is non-privileged, there is only one mailbox it can
possibly write to!

Obviously this is only the case in traditional "real accounts" mode, not
with virtual users, where you wouldn't use this feature.

> Just make sure that you don't have 'm' in the mailer flags - if you do,
> sendmail will expand $u to cover all of them for a message with multiple
> recipients. It would seem that 'm' is incompatible with 'o', but I'm not
> sure what happens if you have both.

Dovecot deliver only does one message at a time anyway.

Thanks

viza
0
Reply tom.viza2 (51) 6/26/2008 10:01:35 AM

In article <3OJ8k.42091$Kb.16669@newsfe29.ams2> viza <tom.viza@gmil.com>
writes:
>On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:05:25 +0000, Per Hedeland wrote:
>>
>> It's working as designed - from doc/op/op.*:
>>
>>            If the argument vector does not contain  $u  then
>>       sendmail will speak SMTP (or LMTP if the mailer flag z is
>>       specified) to the mailer.
>
>That is hideously ambiguous!

Not at all - it's completely unambiguous, and succinct.

>  I don't know if any policy makers read
>here, but shouldn't there be explicit flags to choose smtp, lmtp or
>piping to stdin?

The choice is not between "piping to stdin" and the others, but between
"recipients on command line" and the others - LMTP is normally on
stdin/stdout. Adding explicit flags would only bring redundancy and
additional possibilities to specify erroneous combinations
(e.g. "SMTP-flag" + $u in Argv).

>It's fairly common to discard privileges if they are not required.  Once
>the deliver process is non-privileged, there is only one mailbox it can
>possibly write to!
>
>Obviously this is only the case in traditional "real accounts" mode, not
>with virtual users, where you wouldn't use this feature.

Sendmail has no way of knowing how or where the LDA is doing delivery,
thus it's reasonable to require that the mailer definition includes a
way to pass the recipients to the mailer program, and not assume that it
will deduce this from the uid it is running as.

Actually this concept seemed so bizarre that I had to go and look up the
Dovecot docs, and as I expected, "deliver" accepts most all standard LDA
arguments - in particular (from http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA):

  -d <username>: Destination username.

The "infer recipient from uid" mode seems to be recommended for use in
~/.forward files, where it's perfectly reasonable of course. In a
sendmail mailer definition, it isn't.

>Dovecot deliver only does one message at a time anyway.

The issue was not about multiple messages, but about one message with
multiple recipients. If you are running Dovecot "deliver" in such a way
that it can only determine recipients by checking its uid, there's
obviously no way it can deliver to multiple recipients. This wasn't the
point though - it was that sendmail must be informed about this
limitation (via the absent 'm' flag).

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
Reply per71 (2634) 6/27/2008 12:02:41 PM

Hi

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:02:41 +0000, Per Hedeland wrote:
> In <3OJ8k.42091$Kb.16669@newsfe29.ams2> viza <tom.viza@gmil.com> writes:
>>On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:05:25 +0000, Per Hedeland wrote:
>>>
>>> It's working as designed - from doc/op/op.*:
>>>            If the argument vector does not contain  $u  then
>>>       sendmail will speak SMTP (or LMTP if the mailer flag z is
>>>       specified) to the mailer.
>>
>>That is hideously ambiguous!
>
> Not at all - it's completely unambiguous, and succinct.

Inferring the format for messages from an almost orthogonal option is
perhaps not ambiguous, but it does require a new administrator to look in
places they wouldn't expect to have to for the documentation.

>> but shouldn't there be explicit flags to choose smtp, lmtp or
>>piping to stdin?
>
> Adding explicit flags would only bring redundancy and additional
> possibilities to specify erroneous combinations (e.g.
> "SMTP-flag" + $u in Argv).

There are dozens of incompatible combinations already!  What if you
specify 789 in flags?

If the configuration was explicit then there would be no danger of
getting it wrong by accident, as it seems both I and Carl Byington did.

>>It's fairly common to discard privileges if they are not required.  Once
>>the deliver process is non-privileged, there is only one mailbox it can
>>possibly write to!
>>
>>Obviously this is only the case in traditional "real accounts" mode, not
>>with virtual users, where you wouldn't use this feature.
>
> Sendmail has no way of knowing how or where the LDA is doing delivery,
> thus it's reasonable to require that the mailer definition includes a
> way to pass the recipients to the mailer program, and not assume that it
> will deduce this from the uid it is running as.

It IS reasonable to require that the mailer definition includes a
way to pass the recipients to the mailer program.  It IS not reasonable
to assume that it will deduce this from the uid it is running as, but
neither is is reasonable to assume that it will use a command line
argument to do it.  Implicit configuration is a bad idea.

> Actually this concept seemed so bizarre that I had to go and look up the
> Dovecot docs, and as I expected, "deliver" accepts most all standard LDA
> arguments - in particular (from http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA):
>
>   -d <username>: Destination username.

It is more complicated than that.  -d 'foo' doesn't mean "deliver to the
mailbox 'foo'", it means "connect to the authentication agent, lookup the
string 'foo' and determine if the process has permission to deliver to
the mailbox that it refers to".

It is usual for normal users to not have access to the authentication
process, so they must not use the -d option.  Of course, one could
deliver as root with the -d option, but I'm trying to follow the
convention of dropping privileges early.
0
Reply tom.viza2 (51) 6/28/2008 10:38:26 AM

In article <Cwo9k.131109$Ek2.97716@newsfe17.ams2> viza
<tom.viza@gmil.com> writes:

>On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:02:41 +0000, Per Hedeland wrote:

>>>That is hideously ambiguous!
>>
>> Not at all - it's completely unambiguous, and succinct.
>
>Inferring the format for messages from an almost orthogonal option is
>perhaps not ambiguous, but it does require a new administrator to look in
>places they wouldn't expect to have to for the documentation.
>
>[snip other arguments about the badness of the above]

I can agree that looking at current sendmail, "absence of $u" isn't the
most obvious choice of "SMTP/LMTP selector" - but to get some
understanding of why the choice was made, you need to go back to when it
happened, 25+ years ago when sendmail was first taught to speak SMTP at
all. And given that it hasn't changed since then, it's not exactly
likely to happen now, no matter how upset you get about it.

And it *is* documented - and I would certainly recommend that anyone
writing their own mailer definition *carefully* reads the *entire*
"Define Mailer" section of doc/op/op.*.

>It IS reasonable to require that the mailer definition includes a
>way to pass the recipients to the mailer program.  It IS not reasonable
>to assume that it will deduce this from the uid it is running as, but
>neither is is reasonable to assume that it will use a command line
>argument to do it.  Implicit configuration is a bad idea.

It's not so much assuming as lack of support for the scheme you want -
sendmail knows of two ways to pass the recipient info to the mailer, via
commandline $u or "inline" via SMTP/LMTP - it requires that you do one
or the other. You want a third, "via process uid", and there is no
support for that - so you had to do a little tweaking to make it work.

>> Actually this concept seemed so bizarre that I had to go and look up the
>> Dovecot docs, and as I expected, "deliver" accepts most all standard LDA
>> arguments - in particular (from http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA):
>>
>>   -d <username>: Destination username.
>
>It is more complicated than that.  -d 'foo' doesn't mean "deliver to the
>mailbox 'foo'", it means "connect to the authentication agent, lookup the
>string 'foo' and determine if the process has permission to deliver to
>the mailbox that it refers to".

Nevertheless, it seems clear from what I read of the docs that this (as
well as the use of other standard LDA flags such as -f) is how the
authors intend the program to be used as LDA.

>It is usual for normal users to not have access to the authentication
>process, so they must not use the -d option.

But a mailer definition in sendmail is not "a normal user".

> Of course, one could
>deliver as root with the -d option, but I'm trying to follow the
>convention of dropping privileges early.

It's a good goal, but if you end up interfacing sendmail and a LDA such
that both are used in ways that were never intended, it may be reason to
reconsider it.

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
Reply per71 (2634) 6/29/2008 9:14:07 PM

See, http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail

The recommended way is to use deliver as mailer is SUID.

To trick non-SUID deliver and sendmail, this might work:

/etc/mail/smrsh/dovecot-deliver  -f $u -f $g

so you have $u on command line, but override the value with from.

Bye, ska
0
Reply skg34 (195) 6/30/2008 10:48:02 AM

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 03:48:02 -0700, ska wrote:

> See, http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail
>
> The recommended way is to use deliver as mailer is SUID.

No, that page (remember it's a wikiwiki so could have been written by
anyone) recommends that when sendmail doesn't run as root.

Dovecot LDA's authors used to state that it should not be installed
SUID.  I can't find any reference to that now, so maybe they are happy
that that is now ok.

In any case, the whole title of this thread is "Mailer 'o'" flag, which
means to run the LDA as the destination user.

> To trick non-SUID deliver and sendmail, this might work:
>
> /etc/mail/smrsh/dovecot-deliver  -f $u -f $g

That's an interesting idea.  It will work too, until the dovecot
developers update src/deliver/deliver.c to do more robust argument
handling.  I'll include it if I get round to documenting the wrapper I
posted elsewhere in this thread.
0
Reply tom.viza2 (51) 6/30/2008 11:40:33 AM
comp.mail.sendmail 13413 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Mailer flag 'o'
Hi all, I'm trying to get sendmail to deliver to Dovecot LDA ('deliver'). It works like this: FEATURE(`local_procmail',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver', `deliver -d $u')dnl But I would like to use the 'w' and 'o' flags, so that deliver is invoked as the user who owns the mailbox, like this: FEATURE(`local_procmail',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver', `deliver',`Pfhnwo9')dnl SPfhn9 are the default flags for local_procmail, so I have just added 'w' and 'o', and removed 'S'. The Installation and O...

Is there a way to suppress DSNs using a mailer flag when a mailer fails? (Especially the PROG mailer.)
I have certain pseudo-mailboxes that use the "PROG" mailer to perform certain functions. However, if these fail, I do not want a DSN sent back to the sender - but I would prefer a syslog entry indicating failure. I looked for a mailer flag to suppress the DSN function (or to ignore the exit code of an external program) and found none. For the moment, I suffix these entries (in aliases) with "||exit 0" which forces the subshell to return an exit code of zero. However, that doesn't give me a syslog entry indicating failure. I also consider this method a bad hack. Am...

What does the -O flag do?
http://rgruet.free.fr/PQR25/PQR2.5.html says "Optimize generated bytecode (also PYTHONOPTIMIZE=x). Asserts are suppressed." Is removing asserts all it does, where can I find more details? I'm guessing it's not very useful as I hardly ever see it mentioned. Sard schrieb: > "Optimize generated bytecode (also PYTHONOPTIMIZE=x). Asserts are > suppressed." > > Is removing asserts all it does, where can I find more details? I'm > guessing it's not very useful as I hardly ever see it mentioned. It somewhat depends on the Python version. To fi...

-O flag on mex
I am wondering if there is anything more I can do to increase the optimization of my mex compilation than using the -O flag. I looked on the web and saw that there are a few other options you can add, but it has to be in a .bat file or something. It wasn't so clear. I'm using Microsoft Visual C/C++ version 7.1 as a compiler. Any thoughts? Thanks! Rory Michaels wrote: > I am wondering if there is anything more I can do to increase the > optimization of my mex compilation than using the -O flag. > > I looked on the web and saw that there are a few other options you > c...

Is A flag in SMTP mailer my only solution?
Hello! I have managed to convice a small comany to migrate their backoffice from m$ to Open Source solutions. This is a nice event! Here is my problem. In the migration process there is the need of migrating their SMTP domain from Exchange to sendmail without service interruption, so no big changes can be done on the exchange box. I have done some experimentaion and come up with this solution: 1) sendmail frontend that initially forwards all email to exchange mailertable has domain.org esmtp:[IP of exchangebox] 2) exchange box is configured so that sendmail is its smart host When migr...

flag changed from N to O
I am using mutt 1.5.9i (2005-03-13) One of the isp's I collect mail from has recently changed from using qpopper to dovecot, now all my new mail is marked O instead of N, nothing else has changed at this end, I run fetchmail and postfix, I just wonder if anyone here has any clue as to why this has started happening. I have contacted the isp in question, but no reply so far. -- Martin Martin Smith <Martin@rakupottery.org.uk> wrote : > I am using mutt 1.5.9i (2005-03-13) > One of the isp's I collect mail from has recently changed > from using qpopper to...

Use of the -E local mailer flag in Solaris
Greetings: A couple of months ago, we moved a campus email server from HP Tru64 to Solaris. We use the University of Washington's imap3d server for those users who wish to use IMAP. When I installed it under Solaris, I neglected to see the caveat about using the -E flag in the sendmail.cf file for the local mailer. The -E flag is the one that tells sendmail to prepend a greater-than symbol to lines that start with "From ". We got bit by that when a user got an email with a bunch of lines that start with a naked Unix-style "From " and his IMAP client interprete...

SMTP mailer with a "w" flag?
Recently, one of our lesser-used e-mail subdomains was producing over a million `User unknown' responses per day, thanks to the efforts of a notorious pill spammer. To alleviate the load on our main mail server, I needed to set up a separate MX server for that subdomain. It was supposed to check that the recipient user exists before forwarding the e-mail to the main server. I tried several MAIL_HUB configurations, but none of them would check the recipient users. They just forwarded everything via the relay mailer. Intercepting the mail in ruleset 5 seems to work only that way. I fin...

mailer=cyrusv2, relay=localhost, stat=I/O error
Yesterday one of my Sendmail servers with Cyrus IMAP message store stopped delivering local mails for a good twenty minutes. The first local delivery in that interval failed with the log message (customer names and domains obfuscated, everything else is unchanged): Mar 12 11:08:43 lx1 sendmail[9462]: m2C9vfJ8009384: to=<user1@customer1.example.com>, delay=00:11:01, xdelay=00:09:40, mailer=cyrusv2, pri=8848924, relay=localhost, dsn=4.4.2, stat=I/O error and delivery of all subsequent locally destined mails failed with log messages like: Mar 12 11:11:26 lx1 sendmail[10133]: m2CABDJ7010...

How are the old ("O") status flags set?
I just switched to a new ISP with new pop3/smtp servers, and mutt is flagging all my new inbound mail as old. The dates on these messages are current. Anyone have a clue why mutt would be doing this? * <no_one_in_particular@bogus_domain.net> [2004-11-08]: > I just switched to a new ISP with new pop3/smtp servers, and mutt is > flagging all my new inbound mail as old. The dates on these messages > are current. Anyone have a clue why mutt would be doing this? it's mutt way to tell you that your slrn should be upgraded, that you get yourself a real name, and that...

Mailer flag i isn't working properly on Sun (bug?)
Hi! When I enable flag i in the definition of the local mailer (do userdb rewriting in envelope addresses), and then type sendmail -f '<>' user@host.com Sendmail doesn't handle the null envelope sender correctly: it logs an error message that it cannot set sender and puts current user's address into the envelope instead of <>. However, when I type the same command with "-v": sendmail -v -f '<>' user@host.com everything works fine. The operating system is Solaris 8, and I tried several Sendmail versions, including the latest (...

Hey RACIST and INcompetent FBI/CIA Bustards where is the ANTHRAX MAILER ??? Where are the 4 blackboxes, where are the 5 dancing israelis and what is the status of FORENSIC evidence and trace o
Hey RACIST and INcompetent FBI/CIA Bustards where is the ANTHRAX MAILER ??? Where are the 4 blackboxes, where are the 5 dancing israelis and what is the status of FORENSIC evidence and trace of NANO THERMITE in WTC dust ? The FAT per DIEM FBI bustards use our TAX PAYER MONEY and INCOMPETENCE is UNACCEPTABLE. ===== http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX18zUp6WPY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQapkVCx1HI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXJ-k-iOg0M Hey Racist and INcompetent FBI Bustards, where is the ANTHRAX Mailer ? Where are the 4 blackboxes ? Where are the Pentagon Videos ? Why did you rele...

o.O;
Looks like Juggles' Rainbow just got added recently to Asimov, like right out of the blue, along with Bumble Games. There's another couple old eduwarez to X off my list :P As expected, Juggles' Rainbow is written predominantly in BASIC, and was a cakewalk to get up on ProDOS. Next I'm gonna try, I think, Bumble. I wonder why IBM renamed it Juggles' Butterfly. -uso. On Tue, 8 Apr 2014, Steve Nickolas wrote: > Looks like Juggles' Rainbow just got added recently to Asimov, like right out > of the blue, along with Bumble Games. There's ano...

Sl-o-o-o-o-o-w Performance of Nautilus Graphical File Manager in FC2
My users (and I) are seeing brutally slow response time in using the Nautilus graphical file manager that comes with FC2. It can take up to 30 seconds (sometimes more) just to open Nautilus, and another 30 seconds just to open and display a simple, very small text file. It's not a CPU/memory/disk issue, as the PC's are plenty powerful and everything else works just fine. It's just this one thing. Any experience/thoughts re this? Thanks, -Richard Vaughn Richard Vaughn wrote: > My users (and I) are seeing brutally slow response time in using the > Nautilus graphical file...

Who is n o b o d y @ n o b o d y . o r g ?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS About JF MEZEI The "nobody" troll of rec.travel.air and "John Doe" troll of the sci.space.* newsgroups. (Rev. Jan. 23, 2005) Written by: Darrell Larose 121 Northwestern Ave Ottawa, ON K1Y 0M1 (613) 725-0245 cota348@rogers.com ad607@FreeNet.Carleton.CA 1. Who is JF Mezei? Jean-Francois Mezei is the worst netkook and megatroll to have ever hit rec.travel.air and various other usenet newsgroups. He is also one of the longest running trolls in usenet history. ***WARNING: JF MEZEI IS A ROGUE CANCELLER. HE FORGES THE NAME AND E-MAIL ADDRES...

Memory Mapped I/O Vs I/O Mapped I/O
Hi, Could anyone explain the differences between memory mapped I/O and I/O mapped I/O. Iam kind of dense so the more information the better. Thanks, Jan acetracerbullet100@yahoo.co.uk wrote: > Hi, > Could anyone explain the differences between memory mapped I/O and I/O > mapped I/O. Iam kind of dense so the more information the better. That's an interesting question! The 'mapping' in both names both refer to an actual/virtual map which describes where each peripheral is located, the difference is in where the map is stored: With memory mapped IO the map is (obviousl...

To Flag or Not To Flag? That is the question....
Hello I am working on a database to track sales reps involved on a sale. I would like to flag the sales rep that initiated the sale but read that creating fields used to flag are not recommended. Can anyone provide a suggestion of another way to track this information? Below is how my db is structured (and thank you Roger from this news group with all your help with creating this structure) tblOrder salesOrderID salesAmount customerName tblOrderRep salesOrderID repID flag (this is the field i was going to add to flag which rep initiated the sale) tblRep repID repNa...

[resent] speculative o-o-o execution of *special* instructions?
this is a basic doubt. on a processor that is .a superscalar .b with o-o-o execution .c multiple issue mechanism, what happens when the speculated path contains either (sure, even combination of) - .1 an instruction that can cause a software trap - like syscall in MIPS .2 a break instruction - again say something like break instruction in MIPS .3 branch likely instruction - hinting either ways .4 pre-fetch instruction stream .5 enforce in-order execution - eio(?) in PPC instruction set obviously the next in this list of logic challenge & of my particular interest .6 fork/yield in...

'Tis the season: Autoresponder (O-o-O) messages
Just a reminder to everyone that autoresponder messages (specifically, "out-of-office") should not be sent: - to SAS-L (that kind of gets a death penalty - well, you get deleted) - to persons who post to SAS-L (that _should_ get a death penalty, but I'm starting to get worn down on this one) You may happily send these notes to the "owner" (for the RFC-822 fans, this will be the very top header - "Return-Path:")(it may also be found in the RFC-821 stuff, but ...) ... the owner happily discards them. that unpleasantness aside, best to all of you this holiday s...

cpotter@kumc.edu: please change your O-O-O settings
Peter, I'm sure one of your annoying OOO emails came from the above address shown in the subject. Not only do they come once but, rather, will come from every post you make. I sent him/her an email a couple of weeks ago requesting that he/she change their OOO settings but, unfortunately, to no avail. Maybe this might help! Art ------ On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:32:07 -0500, Peter Flom <peterflomconsulting@MINDSPRING.COM> wrote: >I posted to SAS-L this AM and PRESTO! My inbox filled with automatic responses. > >so.... > >I will re-post this poem ...

Unix I/O and C library I/O, why there are two sets of I/O functions?
In the C programming language, I/O operation functions are declared in stdio.h, for example, fopen(), fclose(), fwrite(), fread(), fseek() ... But another set of I/O functions are also defined in Unix, for example, open(), close(), read(), write(), lseek() ... Which set of functions is more suitable for I/O task, C library version or Unix version? Thank you lovecreatesbeauty You're talking about the difference between library calls and system calls. The ones in stdio (e.g. printf, fopen) are C library functions. The others (e.g. read, write) are lower level than that, and are known a...

G-o-o-g-g-g-O-N-E !!!!
http://www.google.com/search?oi=stock&q=stocks:GOOG&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgoog%26hl%3Den%26hs%3Dp54%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official Wow! Minus 50 in a few days. Tsk, tsk, high fliers.... John Bailo wrote: > > > http://www.google.com/search?oi=stock&q=stocks:GOOG&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgoog%26hl%3Den%26hs%3Dp54%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official > > > Wow! > > Minus 50 in a few days. > > Tsk, tsk, high fliers.... > > But of course Google "do_gooders" got out befo...

USPS (Unbelievably Sl-o-o-o-w Postal Service)
Where's our USPS VMS advocate? Please tell me that this is _NOT_ a VMS foul up. How does the USPS foul up routing like this? A package, sent priority overnite from Warminster, Pa to Jackson, proNJ (a distance of approximately 50 miles) on the 8th of July, is STILL NOT here? Label/Receipt Number: 9101 7850 9140 1639 8149 11 Detailed Results: Processed, July 12, 2008, 12:11 am, TRENTON, NJ 08650 Processed, July 11, 2008, 1:04 pm, KEARNY, NJ 07099 Processed, July 10, 2008, 10:27 pm, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19176 Electronic Shipping Info Received, July 08, 2008 Warminster to Philly I understand...

Re: 'Tis the season: Autoresponder (O-o-O) messages
> From: F.J. Kelley [mailto:saslmnt@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] > Just a reminder to everyone that autoresponder messages > (specifically, "out-of-office") should not be sent: > - to persons who post to SAS-L > (that _should_ get a death penalty, > but I'm starting to get worn down on this one) hehe, well, Joe, I have a callus on my delete finger from zapping OutOfOfc msgs > that unpleasantness aside, > best to all of you this holiday season. --Joe Piece! On Earth! to Men and Women of Good Will! and an end to ClueLessNess! Two!! ... ...

About the "n o b o d y" and "J o h n D o e" Troll
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS About JF MEZEI The "nobody" troll of rec.travel.air and "John Doe" troll of the sci.space.* newsgroups. (Rev. August 3, 2005) Written by: Marc Bissonnette 1725 Beachburg Road Beachburg, Ontario K0J 1C0 (613) 582-7056 d r a g n e t @ i n t e r n a l y s i s . c o m http://www.internalysis.com http://www.canadianisp.com and Darrell Larose 121 Northwestern Ave Ottawa, ON K1Y 0M1 (613) 725-0245 c o t a 3 4 8 @ r o g e r s . c o m a d 6 0 7 @ F r e e N e t . C a r l e t o n . C A 1. Who is JF Mezei? Jean-Francois Mezei is the worst netko...