makeconnection errors: "Invalid argument"

Having a problem I could find nothing on using Google.

I'm getting a -lot- of the following errors in my maillog:

i43ERpEZ018812: makeconnection (xxxx) failed: Invalid argument

xxxx being almost every single mail server I try to send mail to. From
one sendmail server to another it'll even do this. It'll fail the
first try, and on the second try it'll go through.

It doesn't do this with mail that stays on the server, but from the
best I can tell (and from numerous test messages) it'll do this with
every single outgoing message.

Anybody know how I can fix this? Mail still seems to get where it's
going, but needing to resend each message twice has got to be slowing
things down.

Thanks,
Chris

I'm running:
OBSD 3.4
Sendmail 8.12.9

..mc file:

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`@(#)openbsd-proto.mc $Revision: 1.6 $')
OSTYPE(openbsd)
FEATURE(nouucp, `reject')
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable')dnl
FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db')dnl
FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/generics-domains')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA')
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(procmail)
0
chris9844 (10)

Chris Cameron wrote:
> Having a problem I could find nothing on using Google.
>
> I'm getting a -lot- of the following errors in my maillog:
>
> i43ERpEZ018812: makeconnection (xxxx) failed: Invalid argument
>

> xxxx being almost every single mail server I try to send mail to. From
> one sendmail server to another it'll even do this. It'll fail the
> first try, and on the second try it'll go through.
>
> It doesn't do this with mail that stays on the server, but from the
> best I can tell (and from numerous test messages) it'll do this with
> every single outgoing message.
>

> Anybody know how I can fix this? Mail still seems to get where it's
> going, but needing to resend each message twice has got to be slowing
> things down.

Do you use dial on demand PPP connection or router ?

--
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/ http://slashdot.org/~anfi

0
anfi (2014)
5/6/2004 9:58:34 AM
Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@priv.onet.pl> wrote in message news:<c7d28a$4pb$1@anfi.homeunix.net>...

> Do you use dial on demand PPP connection or router ?
>
> > [...]

Nope.
0
chris9844 (10)

How do fix: "Wrong number of arguments" / "invalid propert assignment" / "Invalid argument"
I'm trying to view a web page. IE tells me there are (Java?) errors on the page. Here they are: Line: 15 Char: 7 Error: Wrong number of arguments or invalid propert assignment Code: 0 URL: http://(address.of.my.webcam):port/LiveView.html and Line: 46 Char: 3 Error: Invalid argument Code: 0 URL: http://(address.of.my.webcam):port/LiveView.html When it says "line 15" or "line 46" , is that really the 15'th and 46'th line of "liveview.html" ??? What is "Char" referring to? Here is the contents...

Difference between "mail" and "sendmail"
What is the basic difference between "mail" ad "sendmail"? I tried both in the following ways mail [emailid] <filename1 sendmail -t -i <filename2 for mail, filename1 contains the body of the mail for sendmail,filename2 contains all the headers including to,from,subject,contenttype etc. When I was testing both the above to send mails to yahoo account, I could find that "mail" is able to send 30-40 mails per second, but for sendmail, it's taking 30-40 seconds for 1 email to be sent. When I did strace in both cases I found that after sending data to DNS server,"poll" times out after 5 seconds in the case of "sendmail". It will try again and it will times out again. After 3-4 timing outs, the "poll" will return within 1 second and mail will be sent. When "mail" is used, "poll" will return quickly even though the connection is going to same DNS server and also the mail is sent to the same yahoo id. I need to use "sendmail" as it's supporting multipart mails. I would really appreciate your help, Thank you, Benny In short, 'mail' is a client program wheres 'sendmail' is a server program. They are also called MUA and MTA (Mail User Agent vs. Mail Transfer Agent). Sendmail implements the SMTP listening on port 25, and it is pretty much the same program in all Unixes. Mail may be rewritten by the vendor (Solaris, AIX, etc.). As you noticed, 'mail...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-( A second big problem - a huge E-Mail providers such as GMail or Mail.ru ignore the "BODY=7BIT" and messages accepted propertly. I find it difficult to prove that the problem should be resolved by the message sender or the postmaster of "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service". Any idea ? -- Regards, Sergey. On 02/18/11 07:42, Sergey wrote: > I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft > ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail I think that's better worded as Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service is lying about being 7-bit. > MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT > > but message is not 7BIT. It contain > > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > ...

error message"invalid argument"
my daughter was sending pics of my grandaughters, i right clicked on them and saved them as a screensaver to look at daily(1st twin grandchildren) now i keep getting invalid argument error and can't do it anymore can someone tell me what to do please........ On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:49:26 -0700, jjelswick@yahoo.com wrote: >my daughter was sending pics of my grandaughters, i right clicked on >them and saved them as a screensaver to look at daily(1st twin >grandchildren) now i keep getting invalid argument error and can't do >it anymore can someone tell me what to do please........ This newsgroup is devoted to Microsoft Access, the database product. You'll get better answers to your questions in a newsgroup devoted to your partciular OS (i.e. Windows XP, Windows Vista, etc). Scott McDaniel scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com www.infotrakker.com ...

iptables
Hello everyone, Why does this entry below result in a iptables error message? iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE Results in "iptables: invalid argument" And where might I find any documentation on the error messages for iptables? Thanks Luther martin02 wrote: > Why does this entry below result in a iptables error message? > > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE > > Results in "iptables: invalid argument" > > And where might I find any documentation on the error messages for iptables? One thing I can think of is that the nat table is not supported by Your kernel. - In /var/log/messages, You might see a corresponding message. Try lsmod and in Your kernel tree, see /net/ipv4/netfilter for the names of the modules that You might need, especially all *nat* modules. Then, You could try to insmod or modprobe these modules, where the ones starting with "iptable_*" are the tables, "ipt_*" with capital letters are Your targets and all others are matches. This will also help with Your problem in the other thread You started. Cheers, Jack. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- My personal reading of the string "MicroSoft" expands to "NanoWeak"... On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:02:44 -0400, martin02 <lutherpFORTY@bellsouth.net> fought his way into comp.os.linux.networking, paused briefly and let fort...

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

Local forwarding with "iptables" gives "invalid arguments"
Dear all, while trying to set up a reverse proxy I ran into serious trouble with iptables. I'm trying to forward locally generated traffic to a remote machine. But a command like # iptables -A OUTPUT -t nat -p tcp -d 192.168.1.154 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.250 fails with the laconic message "iptables: Invalid argument" which is not helpful in any way. I' running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (last try was with their kernel 2.6.5-7.191-default) and, YES, I have already rebuilt the kernel after setting CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL=y. Actually I built several kernel by now, the last one with all netfilter stuff compiled in (not as modules). However, the result stays the same whatever I try, that damn "Invalid argument". How can I find out what is the reason for that, how can I debug this kind of stuff in a way that enables me to find what "argument" is "invalid" here for what reason. Benno ...

"Runtime error" using functions with argument "interp"
Hi, My program gets "Runtime error" and breaks down when using functions with argument "interp", such as Tcl_SetObjResult, Tcl_ResetResult, Tcl_Eval. The detailed information is "Microsoft Runtime Library: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for information." It have some .tcl scripts and a DLL which is compiled with MS VC++6.0. The DLL uses SendArp function to check the connection, and returns TCL_ERROR or TCL_OK to tcl script using Tcl_SetObjResult. It works well with Wish, but when I wrap it to .exe with TclApp in ActiveTcl Dev Kit, it runs into the error. I have located the error to Tcl_SetObjResult function. Howerver I don't know how to get it over. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you very much! Regards Zhou Jingyu 2009-2-20 You're going to have to give some example code for anybody to be able to answer this question with any accuracy. RF 1985zhoujingyu@163.com wrote: > Hi, > My program gets "Runtime error" and breaks down when using functions > with argument "interp", such as Tcl_SetObjResult, Tcl_ResetResult, > Tcl_Eval. The detailed information is "Microsoft Runtime Library: This > application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual > way. Please contact the application's support team for information." > It have some .tcl scripts and a DLL which is compiled...

matlab error "Input argument "resol_y" is undefined"
dear all.. i keep getting this error >>??? Input argument "resol_y" is undefined<< and the the error was pointed to here: function [snake_pnts,e] = snake(pnts, alpha, beta, max_delta_x, resol_x, ... max_delta_y, resol_y, feat_img) if resol_y < 1; resol_y = 1; end; <<-- the error can anybody help me?i'm new actually in matlab world this is the to the sourcesode <http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~malcolm/interval/1995-017/snake.m> "fiza" <pja_usm@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ef58f4a.-1@webcrossing.ra...

Invalid use of "." "!"
In writing a sql statement I get the error "invalid use of "." "!"......... this is apparently coming because the where clause of the sql statemt refers to a combo box with sales persons names in it. All the names are listed first initial followed by a "." and last name. I am assuming the error i am getting is coming from the "." in the combo box. How do I get around the invalid use of the "." ? Thanks Never mind..... didnt have enough quotation marks. "Learning" <texson552000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:DQELg.10308$o42.364@tornado.texas.rr.com... > In writing a sql statement I get the error "invalid use of "." "!"......... > this is apparently coming because the where clause of the sql statemt refers > to a combo box with sales persons names in it. All the names are listed > first initial followed by a "." and last name. I am assuming the error i am > getting is coming from the "." in the combo box. > > How do I get around the invalid use of the "." ? > > Thanks > > ...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

package require "invalid argument" error
Hello I'm getting an error of "invalid argument" when trying to add a package...is there a way to debug what is wrong or what files are missing, etc? Thanks AC amir.companieh@gmail.com wrote: > I'm getting an error of "invalid argument" when trying to add a > package...is there a way to debug what is wrong or what files are > missing, etc? Here's how to start. I'll assume the command [package require foo] returns that error. First, find out what versions of "foo" are known to the package system with [package versions foo]. Look through those versions and determine which one Tcl is trying to provide. This depends on what's available, what requirement you've specified, etc. If you don't know how to do this, write again with more actual detail. Let's say you determine Tcl is trying to provide "foo 2.3". Next, find out what script is registered to provide "foo 2.3", with [package ifneeded foo 2.3]. That will return the script which is raising the error, and you can continue debugging of that script. I expect that the script will look something like [load /path/to/foo23.dll Foo], and the actual problem is that Tcl's [load] command does not like your foo23.dll file. It's unforunate that the system loader doesn't give a more meaningful error message than it does, but the problem is in the dll. Review the expectations of both Tcl and your system for such [load]able thin...

error writing "sock????": invalid argument
Hello everyone, I am experiencing problems using smtp/mime packages, as it raises an error after sending an email: this is part of my code: set body "some plain text" set unMsg [mime::initialize -canonical text/plain -string $body] set unXLS [mime::initialize -canonical application/vnd.ms-excel - file excelfile.xls -param [list name "excelfile.xls"]] set multiT [mime::initialize -canonical multipart/mixed -parts [list $unMsg $unXLS]] set smtpserver smtp.myisp.com set from [format "Informes de Producci=F3n <%s>" erpreps@acompany.com] set to [format "%s <%s>" {Nombre de Persona} fakeid@foo.bar] set hashString [format %s%s%s $from $to [clock seconds]] set checksum [crc::cksum $hashString] set msgId [format "<%s.ip3gA@acompany>" $checksum] smtp::sendmessage $multiT \ -username myUsername \ -password myPassword \ -usetls true \ -servers $smtpserver \ -header [list From $from] \ -header [list To $to] \ -header [list Subject "Your requested report"] \ -debug 1] Its execution leads to this: Trying smtp.fakeisp.com... <-- 220 lnldap3.fakeisp.com ESMTP Welcome to lnldap3.fakeisp.com --> EHLO ofiura (wait upto 300 seconds) <-- 250-lnldap3.fakeisp.com Welcome to lnldap3.fakeisp.com <-- 250-PIPELINING <-- 250-SIZE 15240000 <-- 250-DATAZ <-- 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN <-- 250 ...

"invalid argument" error when opening figure file
I am trying to open some MATLAB figure files but I get the "invalid argument" error. Does anybody have any clue? It only happens with some figure files while other figure files open normally. I really need help with this.. Can somebody please reply? Thanks in advance ...

MAC SE: "Bomb" "Sys Error" / Address error" at start
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Then a dialogue-box shows the BOMB icon with the message, SORRY, A SYSTEM ERROR HAS OCCURRED --- ADDRESS ERROR It never reaches the desktop; this crash occurs every time. The Mac SE has a 330 meg internal hard drive, System 6.x.x, and a 1.4 meg internal 3.5 floppy drive. There is a SCSI port but no internal CD reader. The b/w screen is extremely sharp in its focus. The computer worked fine until about a year ago, when I stupidly put a file in the wrong folder. It has crashed consistently ever since! It has an assortment of software on the hard drive, but I have backups of everything and am willing to reformat the entire hard drive if necessary to get the computer working again! If I can resurrect the computer, I hope to upgrade the system to System 7.0 or 7.1 . DONE SO FAR: Yes, I have launched it with shift-key down, to turn off the extensions, but it always crashes Ive also tried vari...

Why is the difference between "Error Out.ctl" and "Error Out 3D.ctl"?
&nbsp; What is 'Error Out 3D.ctl' in LabVIEW 7.0? [It's found in 'Controls > Array & Cluster'.] Does it differ functionally from the old 'Error Out.ctl' found in 'Controls > Classic Controls > Classic Array & Cluster'? Or are the differences simply cosmetic? Neither of these controls seems to have an entry in LabVIEW Help. &nbsp; Oops - 'Why is' == 'What is' > Does it differ functionally from the old 'Error Out.ctl' found in > 'Controls > Classic Controls > Classic Array & Cluster'...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

Passing "<", ">", "=", etc as an argument to a method?
Hello, I am just learning Java and am trying to write a method that does something like //=========================================== public Static List find(double[] array,double val,String relationalOp) { List list = new ArrayList(); for (int m = 0;m < array.length;m++) { // The following line is the problem if (array[m] relationalOp val) { list.add(array[m]); } } return list; } //=========================================== Is it possible to use an argument directly in an if statement like that? I am trying to avoid havin...

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Gary Sokolich """"""

Web resources about - makeconnection errors: "Invalid argument" - comp.mail.sendmail

Addictions Foundation Manitoba
The Addictions Foundation Manitoba (AFM) is a Crown agency that contributes to the health and well-being of Manitobans by addressing the harm ...

Sleepy Hollow's haunted-house episode traps us in a maze of plot twists
This week in Sleepy Hollow, there's nothing like a demon-infested home for the holidays, as Abbie and Ichabod march into a haunted house like ...

Safe Harbor shelter in Easton helps the homeless find jobs - lehighvalleylive.com
Peggy Colon went from homeless to employed at the Crayola Experience thanks to the program.

Shipping an App With App Transport Security
In iOS 9 and OS X 10.11, Apple introduced App Transport Security (ATS), a low-level set of restrictions on apps’ network connections. One of ...

ARP 2500 - Vintage Synth Explorer
In 1969 ARP Instruments was formed by Alan R. Pearlman, anelectronics engineer inspired by what the Moog synthesizer was doing, particularlyafter ...

A Special Collection
he Special Collections may be underappreciated, even unrecognized by manystudents who pass through Colby, but its rare books, personal papers ...

Exploring the West from Monticello: Preface
On January 17, 1994, a major earthquake struck LosAngeles, California; a treacherous ice storm paralyzed Charlottesville, Virginia, and the rest ...

Magnavox Odyssey
This is the . Put on the market in 1972, it was thevery first home video game system. There are no chips in it, and it doesn'tuse programmable ...

"Drink Lots of Fluids, and Save Time for a Frisking"
Monday, September 18, 2006Drink Lots of Fluids, and Save Time for a Frisking By DAVID A. KELLYThe New York (NY) TimesTHE new airport security ...

Web Services Make Connection (WS-MakeConnection)
2 February 2009 Introduction This document describes version 1.1 of the namespace. It also contains a directory of links to related resources ...