Making sendmail work with my ISPs mail server

I am running sendmail on Solaris 9. Normally I use Mozilla to do most of
my email, with mail.charter.net set as the outgoing server (SMTP), but
would like on occassion to use mailx instead. The problem is I can not
get sendmail configured so it will send mail via mail.charter.net. I
have tried 2 or 3 different sets of sendmail.cf changes based on what I
have found using Google, but none of them work. Local mail is fine, but
mail addressed to jack_morrison@charter.net gets sent but never
received. My latest attempt used the following .mc file to create
sendmail.cf:

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`@(#)subsidiary.mc	1.10 (Sun) 12/14/00')
OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl
DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl
define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.charter.net')
MAILER(`local')dnl
MAILER(`smtp')dnl
LOCAL_NET_CONFIG
R$* < @ $* .$m. > $*	$#esmtp $@ $2.$m $: $1 < @ $2.$m. > $3

I then used mail to send a message to jack_morrison@charter.net but
never received anything.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

Please disregard my post, as it turns out this last changed worked but
my Mozilla browser got hung up and was not pulling mail down from my
mail server. Sorry!

Jack Morrison wrote:
> I am running sendmail on Solaris 9. Normally I use Mozilla to do most of
> my email, with mail.charter.net set as the outgoing server (SMTP), but
> would like on occassion to use mailx instead. The problem is I can not
> get sendmail configured so it will send mail via mail.charter.net. I
> have tried 2 or 3 different sets of sendmail.cf changes based on what I
> have found using Google, but none of them work. Local mail is fine, but
> mail addressed to jack_morrison@charter.net gets sent but never
> received. My latest attempt used the following .mc file to create
> sendmail.cf:
>
> divert(0)dnl
> VERSIONID(`@(#)subsidiary.mc    1.10 (Sun) 12/14/00')
> OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl
> DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl
> define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.charter.net')
> MAILER(`local')dnl
> MAILER(`smtp')dnl
> LOCAL_NET_CONFIG
> R$* < @ $* .$m. > $*    $#esmtp $@ $2.$m $: $1 < @ $2.$m. > $3
>
> I then used mail to send a message to jack_morrison@charter.net but
> never received anything.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jack

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> To: <amit@www.domainname.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) This is a MIME-encapsulated message --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com The original message was received at Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) from localhost [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <amitka@gmail.com> (reason: 550 Host unknown) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 5.1.2 <amitka@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.domainame.com: host not found) --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; www.domainname.com Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; amitk...

clarification needed on working of a mail server using sendmail
Greetings All, I have some confusion regarding working of a mail server . Please help me in clarifying this point. The scenario is like this. There is a mail server running in our organisation for sending mail ( sendmail ) . No POP and IMAP service are running on this mail server and we use to check our mails using webmail , a PHP based webmail program. I have configured EVOLUTION and in the sending mail option , I have used SMTP as the server type and in the server's ip address i have to the mail server. I have not configured the receive mail section as there is no POP and IMAP service running in our network. As far as my understanding goes , I should be able to send mail using evolution as it is configured for SMTP and the mail server is a working mail server . Now when I try to send mail , I receive the following error. "" Error while performing operation. MAIL FROM command failed: Access denied "" Please clarify me why I am getting this error and using the above configuration is it possible to send mail regards zaman ...

sending mail via ISP replay server (solaris, sendmail)
I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13 How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is smtp.comcast.net ..incoming is mail.comcast.net and my email is myemail@comcast.com. Thnk you very much you want to look at the SMART HOST section in your sendmail.mc file Cheers Buff Z wrote: > I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13 > How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via > my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is > smtp.comcast.net ..incoming is mail.comcast.net and my email is > myemail@comcast.com. Thnk you very much > On 2005-04-20, Z <zsh99@yahoo.com> wrote: > I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13 > How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via > my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is > smtp.comcast.net ..incoming is mail.comcast.net and my email is > myemail@comcast.com. Thnk you very much At /usr/lib/mail/cf/submit.mc you'll find FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl Change this to FEATURE(`msp', `[smtp.comcast.net]')dnl Then do "make submit.cf" and copy it to /etc/mail and restart sendmail with "svcadm refresh smtp" Regards, Ville Jorma ...

Making sendmail appear to be a client (MUA?) to upstream mail servers
This may actually be a smart host/relaying issue. I have a linux box that I have set up with a bogus domain (machine_name.city.my_last_name) since I have several boxes, and my dad (and sisters), in other cities has several boxes, but once upon a time they were all on 1 physical LAN. As we moved apart, we adjusted the city name in the domain. In my email clients, I have the reply-to email address set to my public (ISP) email address. I am using IMAP, so that I only need the one email account on my email server box. I use fetchmail to grab my mail from the ISP. When I send email, depending...

Sending mails to ISP mail server account
Hi all, I have a local mail server on domain xyz.com. Sendmail configured as MTA. Users are able to send mails to each other. I have also configured relay-domains to xyz.com so that they are able to send mails to real world. Local users are like 1@xyz.com .. upto 10@xyz.com We also have the mail services from ISP on same domain xyz.com. On ISP mail server we have created same account name like 1@xyz.com ... upto 10@xyz.com .. My local mail server is fetching mail from ISP mail server & delivered to local user accounts by using fetchmail. On ISP mail server, we have created few accounts of the users like 11@xyz.com for mktg personals. These users are not having account on my local mail server. Now users want to send mail to 1@xyz.com with cc to 11@xyz.com . Whenever they send mails like this, error comes 'user unknown'. I have tried smart relay host option like ---------------- # "Smart" relay host (may be null) DSxyz.com --------------- but not got success. Any workaround by which mails to 11@xyz.com will go to ISP mail server account? Any pointer will help. Thanking you, Sandeep Agarwal ...

Sendmail pretends to work, but no mail
I just installed Mandrake 10.0 in paranoid mode. I couldn't get postfix to work so I had mandrake install sendmail. I used Webmin to configure it. When I telnet localhost 25, everything seems to work. Sendmail says "Message accepted for delivery." But the email never arrives. I've checked the /var/log/syslog and everything seems good. I checked the firewall and it's not blocking it. Also I've tried this: mail root Subject: Test my message Cc: Any ideas would be appreciated! yo wrote: > I just installed Mandrake 10.0 in paranoid mode. I couldn't get &g...

Securing a Sendmail mail server
This actually is more along the lines of ensuring that your server is not an open relay and to ensure that only my internal LAN and users authenticated via smtp-auth have the ability to send mail through my mail server. I've been pouring over the bat book and the new sendmail cookbook and feel like i've made good progress in figuring out how to secure my server. However, I wanted to post a few questions here to verify that I am understanding this correctly and when my server goes live, I am not an open relay. I know as of sendmail 8.9, it is a closed relay by default. Which is...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

Cant send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
I use the netstat to get the following information: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:109 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 ...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate file). > > thanks You can easily change it in per user ~user/.procmailrc or global /etc/procmailrc http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3 Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)? -- [en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ Netcraft Site Rank: 462490 Thanks for replying Andrzej. But, this does not answer my question. I want mails in my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and not mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox is stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there are 5 files in my mail directory. I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com>...

Sendmail Deferred and times out with mail server
I have a linux box that sits in our Cisco PIX DMZ and relays mail to our internal Exchange server. Problem I have is that sometimes it relays fine, other times we get a 'Connection timed out with mail.unix.com'. Here is a snippet from my logfile of a email I recently sent: Jan 6 11:36:42 myhost sendmail[4136]: j06GagkR004136: from=root, size=62, class=0, n rcpts=1, msgid=<200501061636.j06GagkR004136@myhost.unix.com>, relay=root@loca lhost Jan 6 11:36:43 myhost sendmail[4138]: j06GagU6004138: from=<root@myhost.unix.com>, size=386, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200501061636.j06GagkR004136@myhost.unix.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1] Jan 6 11:36:43 myhost sendmail[4136]: j06GagkR004136: to=jweb@unix.com , ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay, pri=30062, relay=[12 7.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (j06GagU6004138 Message accepted for delivery) Jan 6 11:37:26 myhost sendmail[4122]: j06GRH15003890: to=<jweb@unix.co m>, ctladdr=<root@myhost.unix.com> (0/0), delay=00:10:09, xdelay=00:01:00, ma iler=esmtp, pri=120387, relay=mail.unix.com. [123.123.166.195], dsn=4.0.0, stat=De ferred: Connection timed out with mail.unix.com. I can't determine where the problem is -- dmz? sendmail? exchange? Any thoughts or help is immensely appreciated. Thanks, JWeb ...

I'm sendmail from mail server
I'm using sendmail in my mail server ( vers. 8.12.10-1.1.1). The same mail was sent to 2 users (A, B), I can see 2 different mail formats. A uses Outlook Express 6 and it's able to read message B uses Outlook Express 6 and it's NOT able to read message. I verified mail, which was in mailbox B, has winmail.dat inside body so I suppose to be RTF format. I verified client which sent the mail, but there is neither settings for RTF format nor setting for RFT format for specific recipients. Can sendmail alter email format in this way ? RICCARDO <ric.castellani@alice.it> wrote in <792579cd-a52c-424c-9e57-3157b467873d@f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>: > I'm using sendmail in my mail server ( vers. 8.12.10-1.1.1). > The same mail was sent to 2 users (A, B), I can see 2 different mail > formats. > > A uses Outlook Express 6 and it's able to read message > B uses Outlook Express 6 and it's NOT able to read message. > > I verified mail, which was in mailbox B, has winmail.dat inside body > so I suppose to be RTF format. > I verified client which sent the mail, but there is neither settings > for RTF format nor setting for RFT format for specific recipients. > > Can sendmail alter email format in this way ? Not to my knowledge. Can you run a packet trace (WireShark, tcpdump, etc.) of both sessions (the one to A _and_ the one to B), and then compare them? I suspect that B is somehow prompting Exchange to send ...

internal mails through sendmail to work when internet in down
I have a sendmail-8.11.2-14 running on my redhat 7.1 machine.When the internet connection is down our internal mails of the company wont work. Probably i think it will search for the domain in the internet. I have my server's ip address and the domain name written in the /etc/hosts file. Let our domain name be user@domain.com to get & send mails from the internet & our local domain is user@india.domain.com for our internal mails to work. If the internet is up then both types of mails will work properly but when the internet is down even our internal mails will not work. So ple...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 of these messages in syslog during the time of the incident; Jun 12 09:02:04 peace sendmail-mta[22621]: j5CD04jr022619: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:03:03 peace sendmail-mta[23982]: j5CD13Ef023979: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:04:36 peace sendmail-mta[26086]: j5CD2aaO026076: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:05:38 peace sendmail-mta[27455]: j5CD3bKd027452: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:01 peace sendmail-mta[27939]: j5CD411x027931: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:16 peace sendmail-mta[28248]: j5CD4GmD028243: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 8 S root 8888 1 0 49 20 69174...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

How to setup sendmail quickly and simple mail server
Hi I just need to know how to setup sendmail quickly . Are there are guides outhere to do a fast setup ? I just need one mailbox where I am planning to send some logs from a linux server. I would like just one person to login to the mailbox and look at messages . nothings fancy just a plain mailbox with a login ID and password I do have DNS server ...

Restrict Local From: mails on Sendmail Relay Servers
Hi, In our network we have a Sendmail relay server connected on our intranet and also to the public network. I would like to restrict the server to accept incoming mails with source local adresses only from our intranet. Example: Lets supose that our local domain is "local.dom". Considering this scenario I would to configure Sendmail only to accept mails with the "From: *@local.dom" comming from our intranet mail server and reject those comming from Internet apparently sended from a *@local.dom guy. Regards, Jordi ...

Redirecting Mail Rx By Sendmail To An Exchange Server
I am reasonably familiar with using sendmail as the primary MTA for a domain. However, I have a client that wants to do something I know can be done, but which I've never done myself, so I am turning to the geniuses here. I'm not looking for a spelled out solution, just a pointer on where to get started (though a turnkey solution will happily be accepted :) Today's Situation ----------------- The client runs their own mail infrastructure and their domain MX points to an Exchange server machine. What They Want -------------- 1) Run sendmail/MailScanner/clamav on a FreeBSD serv...

Sendmail virtual hosting, default mail server
Hi, googl'd quite a lot but couldn't find my answer. Can someone help ? We host several domains, on a single server. The server has different IP addresses, corresponding to the SMTP and POP servers for the domains. Domains are virtual in the sense that we don't use the the virtusertable, but the vdeliver utility of linuxconf : users don't have an account on our system. Everything works fine, e-mails are delivered and sent OK. Our question is the following : Is it possible to have sendmail send the mails from the "domain mail server" instead as from the local loop ? ...

sendmail local mail not working
I'm getting a really annoying msg from the /usr/sbin/mail program when running from cmd line. This only started happening since upgrading to new kernal and new sendmail. Am running Debian latest kernal with sendmail 8.13.x When I do this: # mail paul Subject: test test .. I get this return msg: Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 69 This also happens when I attempt to send to an outside address from the cmd line. Sending mail from another machine through sendmail works fine - so this has to be a problem with local mail somehow. I know that error code 69 means - resource unavailable (but which one) procmail is in /usr/bin tcpwrappers is on and hosts.allow has: ALL: LOCAL: ALLOW sendmail: ALL : ALLOW localhost.localdomain:all:allow 127.0.0.1: ALL : ALLOW (some of the above were added just to see if things would start working) This shows up in the mail log: liberty:/var/log# tail -f mail.log|grep paul Jan 6 14:38:27 liberty sendmail[20402]: k06EcR0Y020402: to=paul@francomm.com, c tladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30037, rel ay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable Here's the necessary access.db records: dot 6 and dot 201 are the localhost (multiple IPs for machine) ..francomm.com OK Connect:localhost.localdomain OK Connect:localhost OK Connect:127.0.0.1 OK Connect:208.9.129.6 ...

Web resources about - Making sendmail work with my ISPs mail server - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...