No local mailer defined / QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set (they are!!)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm a situation way over my head. I'm trying to get sendmail 8.11.6
running on a Redhat 7.3 box. Everytime I start up sendmail I see the
following errors:

Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: gethostbyaddr(<actual ip
address>) failed: 1
Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
mailer defined
Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: gethostbyaddr(209.216.203.34)
failed: 1
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
mailer defined
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

However the host is in the hosts file with the right IP address.
There is an Mlocal line in sendmail.cf:

 Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

and there is a queue directory:

O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue

What could I be doing wrong. Please help!

Omacs
0
Reply omacs (4) 11/6/2003 2:55:28 PM

See related articles to this posting

Omi Chandiramani wrote:
> I'm a situation way over my head. I'm trying to get sendmail 8.11.6
> running on a Redhat 7.3 box. Everytime I start up sendmail I see the
> following errors:

> Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
> mailer defined
> Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
> QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

> However the host is in the hosts file with the right IP address.
> There is an Mlocal line in sendmail.cf:
>
>  Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,

That seems to have a leading space.

> and there is a queue directory:

> O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue

> What could I be doing wrong. Please help!

Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?

sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null

will show you the one that is used.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Thanks for replying Claus.

Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bodr9b$5jd$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
> >  Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
>
> That seems to have a leading space.

I just checked that, there is no space in the config. Just a
copy/paste issue.

> Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?
>
> sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null
>
> will show you the one that is used.

Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
ISP
only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do. The
source from which postfix was compiled was on the machine. I could see
nothing in the Makefile, or other scripts that would help me uninstall
postfix. Risking it I decided to install sendmail over postfix, using
rpm.
I'm going to reverse engineer the install script and remove postfix
properly and try this again tonight.

Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
if possible.

Thanks again for the help.
0
Reply omacs (4) 11/6/2003 10:33:34 PM

Omi Chandiramani wrote:
> Thanks for replying Claus.
>
> Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bodr9b$5jd$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
>
>>> Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
>>
>>That seems to have a leading space.
>

> I just checked that, there is no space in the config. Just a
> copy/paste issue.
>

>>Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?
>>
>>sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null
>>
>>will show you the one that is used.
>

> Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
> ISP
> only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do.

I don't get this statement. It sounds like a lot of nonsense to me in
that postfix is perfectly capable of speaking smtp. Perhaps your ISP has
sendmail specific requirements such as AUTH that you haven't mentioned.
I think it would help if you tells.

> The
> source from which postfix was compiled was on the machine. I could see
> nothing in the Makefile, or other scripts that would help me uninstall
> postfix. Risking it I decided to install sendmail over postfix, using
> rpm.
> I'm going to reverse engineer the install script and remove postfix
> properly and try this again tonight.

Please have a look at ntsysv. THis is one of a number of programs that
help you control what startsup at boot time. I recommend it because I
know it works on RH73. Try it. Space toggles the selection, arrows take
you up and down the list and tab enables the exit buttons.

> Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> if possible.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

Do run this after you complete your install so that you can enable
sendmail and disable postfix at the same time.

0
Reply gerry4653 (112) 11/7/2003 2:22:40 AM

Omi Chandiramani wrote:

> Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> if possible.

If you give it the path to the sendmail binary, not to the
postfix substitute: yes.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
0
Reply Claus 11/7/2003 6:09:16 AM

Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bofcuc$189$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
> Omi Chandiramani wrote:
>
> > Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> > postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> > if possible.
>
> If you give it the path to the sendmail binary, not to the
> postfix substitute: yes.

The latest update is that I completely removed postfix by studying its
install script and writing another script that removed all files
installed. Then I re installed sendmail and updated the senmail.cf
file..

Things worked a lot better. Sendmail startup successfully, and was
routing incoming and outbound mail. However the above error messages
still are in the maillog, only now there is one more line:

Nov  7 15:37:00 admin sendmail[3728]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
/etc/sendmail.cf: line 342: readcf: option u: unknown user mail: No
such file or directory

That settle the issue of reading the right sendmail.cf file I think.
Line 342 of the cf file seems unrelated to the issue:

O SuperSafe=True

Like I said earlier inbound and outbound mail, and even AUTH is
working fine. What do these errors mean though - whats broken? And of
course what else can I try to fix it?

Thanks for the help Claus!
Omi
0
Reply omacs (4) 11/7/2003 11:01:23 PM

"G. Roderick Singleton" <gerry@test.pathtech.org> wrote in message news:<QlDqb.4879$G1.22808@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
> > Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
> > ISP
> > only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do.
>
> I don't get this statement. It sounds like a lot of nonsense to me in
> that postfix is perfectly capable of speaking smtp. Perhaps your ISP has
> sendmail specific requirements such as AUTH that you haven't mentioned.
> I think it would help if you tells.

I agree with you that postfix is as capable for the task at hand.. in
fact it is even working with AUTH (sasldb). However this is not a
decision made by me, or something I can change.

Thanks for the reply,
Omi
0
Reply omacs (4) 11/7/2003 11:05:02 PM
comp.mail.sendmail 13417 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Event localization with ode | Error message: The ODE option 'Events' must be set to 'on' | 'off'
I just lost 1h solving a stupid issue and want to share my solution: The ode-solvers are called with a function handle that compute f'(t,y). Suppose we have a function file get_df that does the job. Then both syntax are fine ode45(@get_df,[0 tmax],y0,options) ode45('get_df',[0 tmax],y0,options) The trouble is that for the second syntax, the internal variable FcnHandlesUsed is set to zero, and the event localization routines get confused. Using the first syntax, everything is ok. Best Ben "ben" <benjamin.friedrich@gmail.com> wrote in message ...

newbie Q #2: setting 'set record' option problems in mutt
Dear Gurus: I recently switched from mailx to mutt. I successfully moved the old mailbox folder files from the ~/mail location to ~/Mail. Both Webmail and mutt can read and write to them successfully. However, I can't get the set record="+sent-mail" option in the .muttrc file to work. I've tried various paths with and without quotes and with single quotes. I tried set record=: ~/Mail/sent-mail, Mail/sent-mail, and plain old sent-mail. (supply double and single quotes for all trial and error attempts) There is a sent-mail file in Mail that I co...

Set up latex options locally
Hi. I want to setup some latex options without modifying the original distribution (under linux). I'd like to set \write18, hyphenations, and every other option I can immagine... How should I do so? -- Sensei <mailto:senseiwa:tin.it> <icq:241572242> But still I fear, and still I dare not Laugh at the mad man (The Prophet's song) Sensei <noone@nowhere.org> writes: >I want to setup some latex options without modifying the original >distribution (under linux). > >I'd like to set \write18, hyphenations, and every other option I can >immagine...

[biblatex] Set option locally for \fullcite
I am using biblatex for my Ph.D. thesis. I have used the "firstinits=true" option. However, I have a short list of publications built using \fullcite. For these specific \fullcite's I would like "firstinits=false". Is there any way to achieve this? I have previously asked a similar question regarding minnames and maxnames, but I suppose the above setting does not boil down to setting a LaTeX counter as for the latter? Best regards, Thomas Arildsen On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 13:18:16 +0000, Thomas Arildsen wrote: > I am using biblatex for my Ph.D. thesis. ...

is it possible to define a default options set for fconfigure?
Hi, since working/developing with tcl, I often had the need to open a lot of files with the same fconfigure settings. Is there a until now unrecognized way to pre(f)configure files to get opened to have all files opened e.g. with a specified buffer size, or must I call fconfigure really for each file? Best regards, Martin On 6 Sep, 11:16, Martin Lemburg <martin.lemburg.siemens-...@gmx.net> wrote: > Is there a until now unrecognized way to pre(f)configure files to get > opened to have all files opened e.g. with a specified buffer size, or > must I call fconfi...

How do you set -XCMD option on EG Local Server?
When I try to run SAS code from Enterprise Guide on my Local Server (WinXP SP2) I get the following error messages: (1) When I use X or %SYSEXEC statements: "WARNING: Shell escape is not valid in this SAS session." (2) When I use FILENAME statement with a PIPE option: "ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access PIPE. ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement." Apparently these messages are due to the -NOXCMD option being set. I can change these settings on remote servers by adding -XCMD or -ALLOWXCMD options to the -sasCommand parameter at Spawner start-up. How ca...

Q: Which option is faster in rendering a set of objects?
I am making a GUI in which the user can step through a sequence of movie frames. I also want to overlay a series of lines (and accompanying labels) which change from frame to frame. I can see two ways of doing this: 1) Draw the lines/text for a particular frame, and when the user steps to a new frame, delete the old graphic objects and create the new lines/text for that frame, or 2) Draw all the obects for all the frame up front, set all their handles invisible, and when the user steps to a new frame, make only the handles for the objects in that particular frame visble. My question is which...

Re: How do you set -XCMD option on EG Local Server?
phil@hollandnumerics.co.uk wrote: > Richard, > > I've just run the following statements on my client's EG application > (on Win2000) to my Local Server (running SAS 9.1.3), and they have > worked without any errors: > > %put sysver=&sysver sysscpl=&sysscpl; > libname x1 '.'; > %sysexec cd c:\temp; > libname x3 '.'; > > I now suspect WinXP SP2 is the cause of the problem, not SAS 9. > There were certainly some SP2 security changes to DCOM, so maybe COM > was affected too? > > Intrigued!.......Phil Concur, ve...

[Q] defining xkeyval booleans that are also package options
Hello, I need some insight on the following question: how to define xkeyval boolean keys that are also understood as package options. Unless I have missed something, there is no convenient way to do that (in short, there is no \DeclareBoolOptionX macro). Until now, I've been using the following hack successfully (you can ignore the "void" part): % \begin{macro}{\@fxdeclarebooloptkey} % A ``boolean option-key'' is a boolean package option and macro key % argument as well. For each |arg| option-key, there is a |noarg| void % option-key counterpart.\par % ...

same function defined to local vs. global set key has different results
I have created my own mode using define-generic-mode. My question is why does foo-next and foo-previous work when called with M-x foo-next or when these functions are called by a key that has been globally set to these functions, i.e. M-x global-set-key RET \C-> RET foo-next, but my locally set key does not work. when i use the locally set key it seems that the widen does not work... also i'm trying to get the line number with the (what-line) command, but it returns the line number of the file without narrowing and without the outline hiding... i want to know the line of the file wh...

Re: Q: Multiple SET statements using INDEX with and without UNIQUE option
Hello Christoph, > However, I then saw it is possible to use this method to match > datasets with duplicate KEY fields in both datasets. Possible, but not necessarily advisable ... > This is something I > occasionally have to work with and until now have had to group one dataset > so that all records with the same merge fields are in one record as an > array; then merge the datasets before ungrouping the records with duplicates > into individual records again. "There should be a better way ..." > So, in the above example of three duplicates in b...

DNSSECbis Q-15: Security-aware stub resolver setting the CD bit: SHOULD NOT or MUST NOT?
This question corresponds to editor's note #14 from draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-01. Q-15: Should a security-aware stub resolver be allowed to set the CD bit on queries or should this behavior be prohibited? Background: Here is the text in question from Section 4.2 (page 24) of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-01: A security-aware stub resolver SHOULD NOT set the CD bit when sending queries, since, by definition, a security-aware stub resolver does not validate signatures and thus depends on the security-aware recursive name server to perform validation o...

[Q:] How to nest LaTeX macros so that inner macros are defined only locally within the scope of outer macros ?
Hello ! When nesting LaTeX-macros into each other, it looks to me as if macros that were defined within others are global also. Minimal example: \documentclass{article}% \begin{document}% \providecommand{\firstlevel}[1]{% \providecommand{\secondlevel}[1]{% ##1 % }% #1 \secondlevel{~\newline this is the second macro-level}% }% \firstlevel{~\newline this is the first macro-level}% \ifx\secondlevel\undefined ~\newline the macro defined in the second level isn't available any more% \else\secondlevel{~\newline~\newline the macro defined in the second level is still available}\fi% \end{docume...

How to set Tools Options settings and View Toolbars settings via VBA
Anyone help me set these Tools - Options settings in Access 2003 via VBA code: 1) Use Windows Themed Controls on forms" It appears that i could use: dbengine.setcontrol "db"+"<name of registry entry for this>",false Can I change this value via this method? How do I tell the name of the registry entry or the value of the text to identify the control I am setting? 2) Same issue for setting the settings for View - Toolbars. My app has custom toolbars. I need to make sure various defaults are turned off. thanks Bob Take a look at this: http://msdn2.micro...

SQL Developer settings
Does SQL Developer have the ability to save global user preference for Define ? I have not been able to find it. iSQL*Plus has a radio button for "Define" in this path.... iSQL*Plus > Work Screen > Preferences > System Variables Thanks, TD ...

SET MPOPT must be SET MPLAYER_OPTIONS
The readme.eng of the 2007/10/28, KO Myung-Hun pot of mplayer states: 5. 'MPLAYER_OPTIONS' environment var. ------------------------------------- You can use MPLAYER_OPTIONS as well as configuration file to specify your favorite options. For examples, SET MPLAYER_OPTIONS=-quiet -vo kva:dive This is the same as the following MPLAYER -quiet -vo kva:dive Nevertheless the now obsolete variable MPOPTS is also mentioned in many docs and usenet postings. Including the docs I wrote. Please replace in your CMD's SET MPOPTS with SET MPLAYER_OPTIONS ...

tip PROC Options option=... value define
I am indebted to > From: Leslie J. Somos [mailto:LJSomos@AOL.COM] for this tip. > Subject: Re: Line Size maximum? The minimum is 64 and the maximum is 256 > proc options option=linesize value define; > run; PROC SQL print; select 'proc options option=' !! trim(OptName) !! ' value define' into :List separated by ';' from Dictionary.Options ;quit; &List.; run; reviewing the output from the above list processing run I find the following: How option value set...

Q: Adding Optional option to expression match
Hello *, I am currently writing a small script to search various patterns within files. Therefore I am looping over a bunch of strings and try to find the pattern. Optionally I want to set a variable to certain flags, which can be appended to the matching operator. The variable is either empty or contains some switches/characters. Adding the variable which holds the switches results in a syntax error: Scalar found where operator expected at /...../rgrep line 88, near "m/($word)/$matchopts" syntax error at /...../rgrep line 88, near "m/($word)/$matchopts" syntax error at /....

how to set Plot options, Save all options in cdsinit
ADE->Results-> Printing/Plotting options ADE->Outputs-> SaveAll I would like to customize these once and use them by default for rest of all my later sessions. Is it possible to add some lines in cdsinit to do the same? Thanks, yvk On 08/22/12 17:53, yvk wrote: > ADE->Results-> Printing/Plotting options ADE->Outputs-> SaveAll > > I would like to customize these once and use them by default for > rest of all my later sessions. Is it possible to add some lines in cdsinit to do the same? > > Thanks, yvk Best thing to do is to open AD...

how to set xterm set-tek-text options?
Hi all, I use xterm windows frequently, but find the default font size is too large. Reading over the xterm documentation, I can't find a way to set the set-tek-text option on the command line or in my environment. I can CTRL-[rightclick], but I want this to be set by default every time an xterm is opened. Is it possible to set this on the command line? Or in my environment? If so, where can I find the syntax? Thanks! -Steve in Phx. On 10 Mar 2005 12:32:04 -0800, two_wheeled@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi all, > I use xterm windows frequently, but find the default font siz...

Files created in C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Temp\ even though tmpdir set in INI file
Forum, &nbsp; Using LV 8.5 and despite setting tmpdir in my built EXE's ini file, there are still files being created in my PC's default temp folder C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Temp\.&nbsp; The files are: BMD Client_8.5_userid_cur.txt nixEA.tmp lvsEB.tmp lvsEC.tmp lvsED.tmp lvtl278595612.rsc &nbsp; After the EXE is shut down, the only file remaining is BMD Client_8.5_userid_cur.txt &nbsp; Why&nbsp;is the tmpdir INI file setting ignored? &nbsp; Chris Roth Hi Chris, What is the setting in your ini file? (the command itself?)Do you have an exa...

Can options in Tools => Options be set programmatically?
Is it possible to set options in the Tools >> Options dialog programmatically? For example, I want to create an Access 2002 MDE that will set, on startup, various options in the View, General, and Edit/Find tabs of the Options dialog. Can this be done? Are there any developer resources for doing this? Thanks in advance. On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:50:08 GMT, "deko" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is it possible to set options in the Tools >> Options dialog >programmatically? For example, I want to create an Access 2002 MDE that >will set, on startup, vario...

Module locale throws exception: unsupported locale setting
Hello, on a german Windows installation I get problems with locale. If I run that module as a script from a command window this is the output: C:\Python31\Lib>locale.py Locale aliasing: Locale defaults as determined by getdefaultlocale(): ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Language: de_DE Encoding: cp1252 Locale settings on startup: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LC_NUMERIC ... Language: (undefined) Encoding: (undefined) LC_MONETARY ... Language: (undefined) Encodi...

[OT] Internet Options Security Settings and Advanced Options
Is there a site that explains in detail *exactly* what all the the settings in Internet Explorer Internet Options Security settings and Advanced Options are for? Over the years, I have modified those settings from one to another on a piecemeal basis as per instructions from various groups and sites to tighten up the browser for security reasons (without ever really know exactly what they all "mean") yesterday, in an unsuccessful attempt to get Windows Update to show a missing critical update for my system, I changed all those settings back to the default insecure settings. Since I ...