No local mailer defined / QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set (they are!!)

I'm a situation way over my head. I'm trying to get sendmail 8.11.6
running on a Redhat 7.3 box. Everytime I start up sendmail I see the
following errors:

Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: gethostbyaddr(<actual ip
address>) failed: 1
Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
mailer defined
Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: gethostbyaddr(209.216.203.34)
failed: 1
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
mailer defined
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

However the host is in the hosts file with the right IP address.
There is an Mlocal line in sendmail.cf:

 Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

and there is a queue directory:

O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue

What could I be doing wrong. Please help!

Omacs
0
omacs (4)
11/6/2003 2:55:28 PM
comp.mail.sendmail 13482 articles. 0 followers. jfretby (35) is leader. Post Follow

Omi Chandiramani wrote:
> I'm a situation way over my head. I'm trying to get sendmail 8.11.6
> running on a Redhat 7.3 box. Everytime I start up sendmail I see the
> following errors:

> Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
> mailer defined
> Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
> QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

> However the host is in the hosts file with the right IP address.
> There is an Mlocal line in sendmail.cf:
>
>  Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,

That seems to have a leading space.

> and there is a queue directory:

> O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue

> What could I be doing wrong. Please help!

Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?

sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null

will show you the one that is used.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bodr9b$5jd$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
> >  Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
>
> That seems to have a leading space.

I just checked that, there is no space in the config. Just a
copy/paste issue.

> Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?
>
> sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null
>
> will show you the one that is used.

Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
ISP
only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do. The
source from which postfix was compiled was on the machine. I could see
nothing in the Makefile, or other scripts that would help me uninstall
postfix. Risking it I decided to install sendmail over postfix, using
rpm.
I'm going to reverse engineer the install script and remove postfix
properly and try this again tonight.

Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
if possible.

Thanks again for the help.
0
omacs (4)
11/6/2003 10:33:34 PM
Omi Chandiramani wrote:
> Thanks for replying Claus.
>
> Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bodr9b$5jd$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
>
>>> Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
>>
>>That seems to have a leading space.
>

> I just checked that, there is no space in the config. Just a
> copy/paste issue.
>

>>Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?
>>
>>sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null
>>
>>will show you the one that is used.
>

> Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
> ISP
> only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do.

I don't get this statement. It sounds like a lot of nonsense to me in
that postfix is perfectly capable of speaking smtp. Perhaps your ISP has
sendmail specific requirements such as AUTH that you haven't mentioned.
I think it would help if you tells.

> The
> source from which postfix was compiled was on the machine. I could see
> nothing in the Makefile, or other scripts that would help me uninstall
> postfix. Risking it I decided to install sendmail over postfix, using
> rpm.
> I'm going to reverse engineer the install script and remove postfix
> properly and try this again tonight.

Please have a look at ntsysv. THis is one of a number of programs that
help you control what startsup at boot time. I recommend it because I
know it works on RH73. Try it. Space toggles the selection, arrows take
you up and down the list and tab enables the exit buttons.

> Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> if possible.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

Do run this after you complete your install so that you can enable
sendmail and disable postfix at the same time.

0
gerry4653 (112)
11/7/2003 2:22:40 AM
Omi Chandiramani wrote:

> Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> if possible.

If you give it the path to the sendmail binary, not to the
postfix substitute: yes.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
0
Claus
11/7/2003 6:09:16 AM
Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bofcuc$189$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
> Omi Chandiramani wrote:
>
> > Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> > postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> > if possible.
>
> If you give it the path to the sendmail binary, not to the
> postfix substitute: yes.

The latest update is that I completely removed postfix by studying its
install script and writing another script that removed all files
installed. Then I re installed sendmail and updated the senmail.cf
file..

Things worked a lot better. Sendmail startup successfully, and was
routing incoming and outbound mail. However the above error messages
still are in the maillog, only now there is one more line:

Nov  7 15:37:00 admin sendmail[3728]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
/etc/sendmail.cf: line 342: readcf: option u: unknown user mail: No
such file or directory

That settle the issue of reading the right sendmail.cf file I think.
Line 342 of the cf file seems unrelated to the issue:

O SuperSafe=True

Like I said earlier inbound and outbound mail, and even AUTH is
working fine. What do these errors mean though - whats broken? And of
course what else can I try to fix it?

Thanks for the help Claus!
Omi
0
omacs (4)
11/7/2003 11:01:23 PM
"G. Roderick Singleton" <gerry@test.pathtech.org> wrote in message news:<QlDqb.4879$G1.22808@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
> > Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
> > ISP
> > only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do.
>
> I don't get this statement. It sounds like a lot of nonsense to me in
> that postfix is perfectly capable of speaking smtp. Perhaps your ISP has
> sendmail specific requirements such as AUTH that you haven't mentioned.
> I think it would help if you tells.

I agree with you that postfix is as capable for the task at hand.. in
fact it is even working with AUTH (sasldb). However this is not a
decision made by me, or something I can change.

Thanks for the reply,
Omi
0
omacs (4)

Q: How to Set up A Daily E-Mail Reminder?
Hello, All: I use a Sun Microsystems UNIX machine, and I am trying to use the at-job to let the machine send myself an e-mail message on a daily basis to remind myself of something. I know some basics of shell script, but I don't know how to put the task of "sending an e-mail to myself (or anybody for that matter)" into a shell script. Would anybody like to help? It does not have to be limited to shell script though, I guess. Thank you in advance! Have a nice day. Roland qquito wrote: > Hello, All: > > I use a Sun Microsystems UNIX machine, and I am trying to u...

Sygate and local file access from local network
I have a home network of two PCs. If I have Sygate set to normal and try to play a video from my XP box that is located on my 2000 box I get really jerking responses. But if I disable Sygate and allow all the video file plays just fine. Is there a way to protect my network, yet still allow to be able to access and play video files and other files across my network with out jepordising my network security? Roger R.H. wrote: > I have a home network of two PCs. If I have Sygate set to normal and > try to play a video from my XP box that is located on my 2000 box I get > rea...

How to get Python make to detect /usr/local/ssl
Any Python developers out there that help me? I would like to configure/make Python so it uses my local OpenSSL-1.0.0e install in /usr/local/ssl. I have tried uncommenting the promising section of ../Python 2.7.2/Modules/Setup.dist below without success. How to do it! Would like to upgrade SQLite as well... ------ snip of Setup.dist ------------ # Socket module helper for socket(2) _socket socketmodule.c # Socket module helper for SSL support; you must comment out the other # socket line above, and possibly edit the SSL variable: SSL=/usr/local/ssl _ssl _ssl.c \ -DUSE_SSL -I$(SS...

Odd reachability with local clock on XP
Hi, I'm running ntp-4.2.6p5 on Windows XP (SP3). I have, amongst other things, the following in my config: server 127.127.1.0 noselect minpoll 4 maxpoll 6 fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 and I'm running ntpd as a system service, not from the command line. I've disabled the firewall, though for loopback it shouldn't make a difference. When I start the service, I see: D:\>ntpq -n -p remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter ============================================================================== 72.14.188.52 12...

FAQ 4.76 How do I define methods for every class/object?
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.76: How do I define methods for every class/object? (contributed by Ben Morrow) You can use the "UNIVERSAL" class (see UNIVERSAL). However, please be very careful to consider the conseq...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Good_Scanner_under_=A370?=
Could anyone advise me on a good cheap Flatbed Scanner for under �70 if it can do 600dpi it would be great and also Slides. Something that is good for photographers but does not cost arm and a leg like the Epson 2400 photo my company just purchased I don't know to much about cheap scanners today as i tend to use high end scanners like the Fuji C-550. Thanks neworder7@hotmail.com "L.S" <neworder7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:74a03aa0.0401290902.15c3e98c@posting.google.com... > Could anyone advise me on a good cheap Flatbed Scanner for under �70 >...

SAS Options; How to change...
Hi folks; Hopefully an easy question; I searched the archives but did not have much luck in trying to find out how to change SAS options (or the windows registry?) to scan more than ~20 rows of the data to determine the variable type in Excel. Basically the data I have in Excel has roughly 8 different date fields, 2 of which have _null_ values in the 1st ~20 rows, so SAS is reading them in as text. (Note; sorting does not help in this case, because all I end up doing is changing which vars do not get read in properly). I want SAS to look at say, the 1st 100 rows to determine the character...

Re: Programmer Skill Set #42
hi, The second item on the 10 traits says, in part: "people who can take "2 + x = 4" and figure out that x is equal to 2 are much less common." at first, i thought to myself: "how come? isn't primary education mandatory in most places?" but then i read an article in ny times basically saying a whole lot of Ph.D.'s and other high level researchers do not even know elementary stats: http://tinyurl.com/69glcx Obviously the clear thinking skills in demand everywhere. :-) cheers, chang ...

WIN 2K, VC6
Hello Folks: Developing on Win2K, VC6. While I haven't given up on getting VS 2008 working on the XP machine, I do need to get the project moving while I try to figure out what's made a piece of code VS 2008 never touched suddenly stop working. So I've replaced a broken hard drive in my Win2K PC and reloaded the OS and VC6. I've also updated Win2K, VC6 and the Platoform SDK. Now I'm copying the source for each of my libraries to the WIN2K PC and attempting to build them. I'm getting errors. 'GetWindowLongPtr' ...

alias non-local address to local
Is it possible to configure sendmail so that mail sent to a specific external address (userjoe@somedomain.com) is instead delivered to a local address (joelocaluser)? Essentially, I'm looking for sort of a reverse alias. The external domain is not under my control. Can it be done with an entry in a virtual user table? Why, you ask? Mail delivered to this paticular address is forwarded back to a local user on my server anyway. I'd like to avoid the traffic, spam checks, etc. Thanks, Mark Mark wrote: > Is it possible to configure sendmail so that mail sent to a specific > ...

Table local
"Help, More Information" for Table states: Table effectively uses Block to localize values or variables. But Clear[u]; Table[u = i^2, {i, 5}]; u Clear[u]; Table[u = i^2;, {i, 5}]; u In both cases the value 25 for u is given. If u were really local, it should have no value outside of the Table For me there is a contradiction that can cause a lot of trouble E. F. Hi, no, it means maybe more "localization of the iteration variables": Clear[i]; Table[i = i^2, {i, 5}]; i Cheers Patrick On Sat, 20...

Tools Options "Summary" for SW2006
"Summary" isn't exactly the right name for this, since it's larger than what it's supposed to be summarizing. This basically goes through all the Tools Options settings and explains what they do. There are red stars for things that affect performance, and green stars for things that are new in 2006. I've been doing this every release since 2001, and was kind of slack for 2006. A few people asked me about it, so I decided to update this for 2006. It has been expanded from 30 pages to 35 pages, mainly because it now also covers Export Options which are not f...

Low Latency Kernel Option in Redhat 9
I am a newb that is playing around with kernel customization, and I noticed an option for low latency scheduling, so I selected it. Does this mean that Redhat's kernel source for RH 9.0 already has the low latency kernel patches applied? ...

slow email between local users
sendmail-8.12.9 is the version that I have and I am still having slow email between local users. It takes 10 minutes exactly to receive an email. Although several people here tried to help, I still have the problem. Thanks all who tried to help. Also the sendmail people were very helpful and responded to my questions in less than 1 hour. Can anyone point me to the correct setting to tweak? Charlie F wrote: > I tried your suggestions and here are the results: > > There is no "gethostbyaddr failed" in /var/log/message nor in > /var/log/syslog > > Also Telneting...

basic network q
Hi I need to have one puter provide net connection to another 3, as well as be used as a desktop pc itself. Can networking be done this way? I would think so, but have not seen such setups from what I've read so far. All machines have USB and other sockets, so I expect its quite doable. It would be a wired network, and I'm not interested in any file sharing, just net connection. Thanks, NT Put an Ethernet card into each PC. Put an Ethernet switch in the middle and put cables between the switch and each PC. You might find you need to set one PC as the domain controller. It'd ma...

Q and Z on Dials
We know that the letters on telephone dials and keypads date from the days that exchanges had names, not digits. The Bell System destroyed the last remnant of this in Philadelphia in 1980. Dials would have gone all numeric and been easier to read, but by that time many companies used all letters as easy-to-remember phone numbers (ie DIAL-LAW for a lawyer or 1-800-USA-RAIL for Amtrak, so letters remained. I noticed on the most modern dials the letters Q and Z were added to 7 and 9 respectively. This makes sense. However, on earlier Bell System dials, the Z was over the zero-oper...

set color to
I have found another difference with the xHarbour system compared to Clipper S87/C5.x. In the program snippet: procedure main public d_nr d_nr = "BG+/B,W+/W,B,, " && works with s87 and c53 abc = 'This is a test' response = space(20) @ 0,0 clear set color to &d_nr @ 5,1 say abc get response picture "@!S10" read return After the read, the text of variable ABC is visible in Clipper. In xHarbour, the text is all black, unreadable. Changing the d_nr = line to be: d_nr = "BG+/B,W+/W,B,W,W" && fix to mak...

variable of integration not localized in Integrate and Sum?
Apparently I need to explicitly localize t in the following, otherwise it messes up when I pass in t as the second argument. In: F[f_, x_] := Integrate[f[x + t], {t, -1/2, 1/2}] F[Sin, x] F[Sin, t] Out: 2 Sin[1/2] Sin[x] <---- correct 0 <---- ?!?! This is surprising to me-- I thought that the fact that t is the integration variable would cause it to be automatically localized, but apparently not. To get the right answer, I can say: In: F[f_, x_] := Module[{t}, Integrate[f[x + t], {t, -1/2, 1/2}]...

[ace-users] ScanMail Message: To Recipient virus found or matched file blocki ng setting. #2
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C33B71.509C0010 Content-Type: text/plain ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange has taken action on the message, please refer to the contents of this message for further details. Sender = j.zorko@att.net Recipient(s) = ace-users@cs.wustl.edu; Subject = [ace-users] Re: Application Scanning Time = 06/25/2003 18:27:14 Engine/Pattern = 6.510-1002/575 Action on message: The attachment your_details.zi contained WORM_SOBIG.E virus. ScanMail has t...

Computing Follow set
I have a question regarding the computation of FOLLOW sets. Consider the following grammar: A -> aB | a B -> bA | b From the production A -> aB, we have FOLLOW(B) contains FOLLOW(A). From the production B -> bA, we have FOLLOW(A) contains FOLLOW(B). This ends up being an infinite loop when I code it. I would appreciate your suggestions on this. Thank you. > A -> aB | a > B -> bA | b > >>From the production A -> aB, we have FOLLOW(B) contains FOLLOW(A). >>From the production B -> bA, we have FOLLOW(A) contains FOLLOW(B). > > This ends up ...

Signals and local $@
Hello all. I'm trying to write a little wrapper which properly handles a call with a timeout. Since I'm on a 5.10.1, I take care of all eval{} pitfalls I know (more or less take some parts of Try::Tiny ideas just to do a proper eval). Here is the thing I don't know how to deal with. # --- #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; sub sleep10 { local $@; sleep 10; } { eval { local $SIG{'ALRM'} = sub { die "Here comes the death\n"; }; alarm 2; sleep10(); }; alarm 0; pr...

Q abt Safari 8343
i have a B&W G3 running OS X 10.3.8 only (no OS 9) , the latest ver of Safari (1.2.4) and am using a Macally mouse, two buttons and a scrollwheel (which can also be programmed as a third button). i have recently returned to Safari after using Firefox for awhile. One thing I liked about Firefox was the ability to right click and use navigation controls to go forward and backward, Safari lacks support for this. it probably seems lazy to not want to use the keyboard or move the mouse and use the toolbar to navigate, but it is really convienant to be able to do it w/o moving the mouse. any ...

Need help with option group labels and embedding fonts..
I have an option group with about 30 options. I would like to have the Option Labels get their text from a table. Is this possible, and if so how? Also, is it possible to embad a font into a database or does each machine need to have that font installed? Thanks for any help, ShyGuy Shyguy <Shyguy@shytown.com> wrote in message news:<cdc5qvce61trt3nkbgi5u9irofne8g180i@4ax.com>... > I have an option group with about 30 options. I would like to have > the Option Labels get their text from a table. Is this possible, and > if so how? > > Also, is it possible to em...

Re: Too many variables defined for the dimension(s) specified for #6 658041
--- "Droogendyk, Harry" <harry.droogendyk@RBC.COM> wrote: > Dale: > > In the first array definition, SAS is going to define array allvars1 > with all EXISTING variables starting with a, b, or c. However, since > the array statement is the first in the step, no variables exist, > hence an array with zero element. > > OTOH, the allvars2 array definition will CREATE the variables you've > explicitly listed ( SAS considers a dashed range to be explicitly > named ) if they do not already exist. > > If you simply reverse the two array stateme...

"Set ROWCOUNT" like in Oracle
Can any body give silution to restrict the no. of rows returned by select query in oracle like "Set rowcount" In SQL server Answer version dependent. No version provided. In Oracle 10g the SAMPLE clause exists. In older versions you can select * from (your select) where rownum < n Please RTFM prior to posting doc questions. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA http://www.orafaq.com/faq/how_does_one_select_the_top_n_rows_from_a_table jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable Daily Bandwidth Exceeded PowWeb Hosting Offers 10GB/Day!" - a ...