No local mailer defined / QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set (they are!!)

I'm a situation way over my head. I'm trying to get sendmail 8.11.6
running on a Redhat 7.3 box. Everytime I start up sendmail I see the
following errors:

Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: gethostbyaddr(<actual ip
address>) failed: 1
Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
mailer defined
Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: gethostbyaddr(209.216.203.34)
failed: 1
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
mailer defined
Nov  6 07:37:02 admin sendmail[13585]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

However the host is in the hosts file with the right IP address.
There is an Mlocal line in sendmail.cf:

 Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

and there is a queue directory:

O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue

What could I be doing wrong. Please help!

Omacs
0
omacs (4)
11/6/2003 2:55:28 PM
comp.mail.sendmail 13473 articles. 1 followers. jfretby (35) is leader. Post Follow

Omi Chandiramani wrote:
> I'm a situation way over my head. I'm trying to get sendmail 8.11.6
> running on a Redhat 7.3 box. Everytime I start up sendmail I see the
> following errors:

> Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local
> mailer defined
> Nov  6 07:37:01 admin sendmail[13582]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
> QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

> However the host is in the hosts file with the right IP address.
> There is an Mlocal line in sendmail.cf:
>
>  Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,

That seems to have a leading space.

> and there is a queue directory:

> O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue

> What could I be doing wrong. Please help!

Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?

sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null

will show you the one that is used.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bodr9b$5jd$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
> >  Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
>
> That seems to have a leading space.

I just checked that, there is no space in the config. Just a
copy/paste issue.

> Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?
>
> sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null
>
> will show you the one that is used.

Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
ISP
only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do. The
source from which postfix was compiled was on the machine. I could see
nothing in the Makefile, or other scripts that would help me uninstall
postfix. Risking it I decided to install sendmail over postfix, using
rpm.
I'm going to reverse engineer the install script and remove postfix
properly and try this again tonight.

Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
if possible.

Thanks again for the help.
0
omacs (4)
11/6/2003 10:33:34 PM
Omi Chandiramani wrote:
> Thanks for replying Claus.
>
> Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bodr9b$5jd$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
>
>>> Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
>>
>>That seems to have a leading space.
>

> I just checked that, there is no space in the config. Just a
> copy/paste issue.
>

>>Maybe you look at the wrong sendmail.cf file?
>>
>>sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null
>>
>>will show you the one that is used.
>

> Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
> ISP
> only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do.

I don't get this statement. It sounds like a lot of nonsense to me in
that postfix is perfectly capable of speaking smtp. Perhaps your ISP has
sendmail specific requirements such as AUTH that you haven't mentioned.
I think it would help if you tells.

> The
> source from which postfix was compiled was on the machine. I could see
> nothing in the Makefile, or other scripts that would help me uninstall
> postfix. Risking it I decided to install sendmail over postfix, using
> rpm.
> I'm going to reverse engineer the install script and remove postfix
> properly and try this again tonight.

Please have a look at ntsysv. THis is one of a number of programs that
help you control what startsup at boot time. I recommend it because I
know it works on RH73. Try it. Space toggles the selection, arrows take
you up and down the list and tab enables the exit buttons.

> Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> if possible.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

Do run this after you complete your install so that you can enable
sendmail and disable postfix at the same time.

0
gerry4653 (112)
11/7/2003 2:22:40 AM
Omi Chandiramani wrote:

> Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> if possible.

If you give it the path to the sendmail binary, not to the
postfix substitute: yes.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
0
Claus
11/7/2003 6:09:16 AM
Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bofcuc$189$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
> Omi Chandiramani wrote:
>
> > Will I be able to run the above command (sendmail -bt etc) while
> > postfix is running? I would like to have an MTA running at all times
> > if possible.
>
> If you give it the path to the sendmail binary, not to the
> postfix substitute: yes.

The latest update is that I completely removed postfix by studying its
install script and writing another script that removed all files
installed. Then I re installed sendmail and updated the senmail.cf
file..

Things worked a lot better. Sendmail startup successfully, and was
routing incoming and outbound mail. However the above error messages
still are in the maillog, only now there is one more line:

Nov  7 15:37:00 admin sendmail[3728]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
/etc/sendmail.cf: line 342: readcf: option u: unknown user mail: No
such file or directory

That settle the issue of reading the right sendmail.cf file I think.
Line 342 of the cf file seems unrelated to the issue:

O SuperSafe=True

Like I said earlier inbound and outbound mail, and even AUTH is
working fine. What do these errors mean though - whats broken? And of
course what else can I try to fix it?

Thanks for the help Claus!
Omi
0
omacs (4)
11/7/2003 11:01:23 PM
"G. Roderick Singleton" <gerry@test.pathtech.org> wrote in message news:<QlDqb.4879$G1.22808@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
> > Another detail. This machine has postfix running on it right now. The
> > ISP
> > only supports sendmail, so thats what the client wants me to do.
>
> I don't get this statement. It sounds like a lot of nonsense to me in
> that postfix is perfectly capable of speaking smtp. Perhaps your ISP has
> sendmail specific requirements such as AUTH that you haven't mentioned.
> I think it would help if you tells.

I agree with you that postfix is as capable for the task at hand.. in
fact it is even working with AUTH (sasldb). However this is not a
decision made by me, or something I can change.

Thanks for the reply,
Omi
0
omacs (4)

Sendmail must forward all local mails to corporate SMTP server!
Hi, I am setting up Bugzilla on linux system and as such it will use the linux mail command to forward its emails. So I need to get a sendmail configuration which will send *every* mail sent using unix mail to the corporation SMTP server (smtp.mycorp.com) That server requires login and password plus SSL. I am thinking that this is a common config, but I am not seeing any help as I search various places. Here is what I have so far(sendmail.mc): VERSIONID(`setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl OSTYPE(`linux')dnl define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `20')dnl FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash /etc/mai...

Event localization with ode | Error message: The ODE option 'Events' must be set to 'on' | 'off'
I just lost 1h solving a stupid issue and want to share my solution: The ode-solvers are called with a function handle that compute f'(t,y). Suppose we have a function file get_df that does the job. Then both syntax are fine ode45(@get_df,[0 tmax],y0,options) ode45('get_df',[0 tmax],y0,options) The trouble is that for the second syntax, the internal variable FcnHandlesUsed is set to zero, and the event localization routines get confused. Using the first syntax, everything is ok. Best Ben "ben" <benjamin.friedrich@gmail.com> wrote in message ...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 o...

newbie Q #2: setting 'set record' option problems in mutt
Dear Gurus: I recently switched from mailx to mutt. I successfully moved the old mailbox folder files from the ~/mail location to ~/Mail. Both Webmail and mutt can read and write to them successfully. However, I can't get the set record="+sent-mail" option in the .muttrc file to work. I've tried various paths with and without quotes and with single quotes. I tried set record=: ~/Mail/sent-mail, Mail/sent-mail, and plain old sent-mail. (supply double and single quotes for all trial and error attempts) There is a sent-mail file in Mail that I co...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qm...

Need auto-mailer software
OK, here is what I'm looking to do... I have an intranet database and basically I'd like to be able to click on a mailing list I have, and have it send that list of e-mails, along with HTML that will be in the mailer, and a subject, to an address that will process those addresses and send out the mailer automatically. Or if there is some web-based solution that will allow me to submit a form w/ a text file attachment of addresses, the HTML source, and subject, that'll work too... Any thoughts? On 12 Sep 2003 12:38:24 -0700, Andy Milk <amilk@catalyst-i.com> wrote: > &g...

sendmail should not deliver mails locally
Hi all, how can I tell sendmail to stop delivering mails locally? If my domain is XXX.XX and php sends a mail on this server to AB@XXX.XX it should query the MX record for XXX.XX and deliver it to the domain listet in the MX record and not locally. is this possible? partynet.at wrote: > how can I tell sendmail to stop delivering mails locally? > If my domain is XXX.XX and php sends a mail on this server to AB@XXX.XX > it should query the MX record for XXX.XX and deliver it to the domain > listet in the MX record and not locally. Make sure it's not in class {w}. See cf/REA...

Set up latex options locally
Hi. I want to setup some latex options without modifying the original distribution (under linux). I'd like to set \write18, hyphenations, and every other option I can immagine... How should I do so? -- Sensei <mailto:senseiwa:tin.it> <icq:241572242> But still I fear, and still I dare not Laugh at the mad man (The Prophet's song) Sensei <noone@nowhere.org> writes: >I want to setup some latex options without modifying the original >distribution (under linux). > >I'd like to set \write18, hyphenations, and every other option I can >immagine...

sendmail local mailer as root

How to define a define that defines some defines ?
Hi all, I have the following: /*--- SNIP ---*/ typedef struct Argument_s { char *address; int type; int length; } ARGUMENT; #define Function(F) int F( int ArgCount, ARGUMENT ArgVector[] ) #define First ArgVector[0] #define First_A First.address #define First_T First.type #define First_L First.length #define Second ArgVector[1] #define Second_A Second.address #define Second_T Second.type #define Second_L Second.length #define Third ArgVector[2] #define Third_A Third.address #define Third_T Third.type #define Third_L Third.length ...

sendmail -q doesn't work
sendmail -q is not doing a thing but sendmail -v -q does. What's going on? divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: mailin.mc,v 1.0 2007/01/30 15:16:05 rullfig Exp $') OSTYPE(linux)dnl define(`confCHECKPOINT_INTERVAL', `10')dnl define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `40000000')dnl define(`confMCI_CACHE_SIZE', `10')dnl define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `11')dnl define(`confMILTER_LOG_LEVEL', `11')dnl define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')dnl define(`confERROR_MESSAGE', `/etc/mail/sendmail.ErrorHeader')dnl define(`confTO_INITIAL', `1m...

[biblatex] Set option locally for \fullcite
I am using biblatex for my Ph.D. thesis. I have used the "firstinits=true" option. However, I have a short list of publications built using \fullcite. For these specific \fullcite's I would like "firstinits=false". Is there any way to achieve this? I have previously asked a similar question regarding minnames and maxnames, but I suppose the above setting does not boil down to setting a LaTeX counter as for the latter? Best regards, Thomas Arildsen On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 13:18:16 +0000, Thomas Arildsen wrote: > I am using biblatex for my Ph.D. thesis. ...

Sendmail insists on relaying local mail
Beginning 3 days ago sendmail started relaying all my local mail through my= remote e-mail server. Because my local domain is imaginary this ends up i= n an error message. My computer responds to its local domain name. I have= n't changed anything. I even re-built sendmail and its configuration files= in case they had somehow gotten corrupted: they weren't any different. se= ndmail 8.15.2, linux, kernel 4.2, Slackware latest. On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 5:12:21 AM UTC+2, Hans Conreid wrote: > Beginning 3 days ago sendmail started relaying all my local mail throug...

sendmail settings for larger mailing lists
I have been reading through the archives and am not sure what settings we should use in sendmail to work with larger majordomo lists being sent out through bulk_mailer (bulk_mailer is a program that sorts an email list into like domains for more efficient sending). For example, some lists have a few thousand addresses @aol, yahoo, hotmail, etc... From what I've read, there are 3 settings that can be adjusted to make these mailings go out smoothly and not get rejected by the destination or sendmail itself when sending: SMTP_MAILER_MAXMSGS SMTP_MAILER_MAXRCPTS MaxRecipientsPerMessage...

Web resources about - No local mailer defined / QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set (they are!!) - comp.mail.sendmail