postmaster replying to non existant address

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have inherited a sun running sendmail 8.11.6

Please can someone explain or point me at info for the following:

If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

0
Reply T 7/15/2004 10:06:25 AM

See related articles to this posting

T wrote:

> If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
> replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

> Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

Why would you want to do that?  Someone sends an important mail,
makes a small typo in the address, and you simply discard the mail?
Sounds like a Bad Idea.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

T wrote:
> If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
> replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

You can do the equivalent of defining LUSER_RELAY (where to send emails
addressed to what *should* be local users, but are unknown to this
machine). How to do that in detail depends on whether the inherited
sendmail.cf was generated as-is from a sendmail.mc, modified manually,
or generated otherwise (e.g., legacy); whether, in the first case, the
sendmail.mc is still available; and whether, in the second, the
modifications can be ported (with the effort you're willing to spend)
back into an updated sendmail.mc.

> Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

Sure, just have LUSER_RELAY point to the local user "nobody" (which is
usually aliased to /dev/null). Keep in mind, however, that from then on,
your sendmail will basically tell senders "the email's OK, I'll deal
with it," and then simply discard it. A legit sender may well make a
typo in the address, and later point to the fact that you "made the
mailserver lie in my face against standard practice" to blame any damage
on you.

Regards,
								J. Bern

0
Reply bern (414) 7/15/2004 3:31:56 PM
comp.mail.sendmail 13410 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Can the Favourites Sidebar (IE, Opera, etc.) be addressed selectively (exist or non-exist)?
Hello, tonight I'm looking for a javascript piece of code which enables me to detect whether the user's internet browser has a favourites sidebar open and thus limits the "display space" of the adjacent table to a certain width. Background: I have created a webpage based on a 2 vs. 4 table structure: table 01 table02 table 11 table12 table21 table22 table31 table32 Tables 01 - 31 contain the navigation layer, tables 02 - 32 contain various contents. Tables 02 - 32 are open to the right side, i. e. tables 01 - 31 have a defined width, tables 02 - 32 have the width of &quo...

Sending from non-existing address
Hello I'd like to send system-generated messages from no-reply@domain.com. But my virtusertable is preventing this, because (obviously) this address doesn't exist (and I have blocked unknown addresses). If I do enter no-reply in my virtusertable, I'd like to block it for incoming messages -> "no-reply@domain.com error:5.7.0:550 Address invalid". But this blocks the address also for sending. Is there a way to bypass this restriction for mails coming from the server itself (=localhost)? Or can I specify different virtuser-check responses for senders and recipie...

Can JavaMail detect a non-existant email address?
I would like to check incoming mail to determine if the sender's address is reachable without sending an email to the address. Is this possible using JavaMail? If so, some sample code would be very much appreciated. False positives are no problem and a small percentage of false negatives is tolerable. In case it has some bearing on the answer the application is a spam filter that treats as spam anything that cannot be replied to. David Segall <DavidSegall@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:<9akpqvsiadbsjcq6mt7kok59p0opm3o0nt@4ax.com>... > I would like to check inc...

Re: Can JavaMail detect a non-existant email address?
I would like to check incoming mail to determine if the sender's address is reachable without sending an email to the address. Is this possible using JavaMail? If so, some sample code would be very much appreciated. False positives are no problem and a small percentage of false negatives is tolerable. In case it has some bearing on the answer the application is a spam filter that treats as spam anything that cannot be replied to. My apologies for the cross post. It appears that nobody reads comp.lang.java.misc. "David Segall" wrote: > I would like to check incoming mail to...

Deny all Non-existent host/domain IP address on apache
I would like to deny all http/https requests to my server if they do not have a valid IP address Running Apache 1.2.29 on Solaris 9. Seems simple like if DNS fails return NOTHING.... uzi69mmm@yahoo.com said: >I would like to deny all http/https requests to my server if they do >not have a valid IP address Running Apache 1.2.29 on Solaris 9. Seems >simple like if DNS fails return NOTHING.... No, there could be just an intermittent DNS timeout. Not having reverse-DNS address does not make an address invalid. What you might wish to filter, though, are all packets from addr...

Should ISP's send bounceback on mail to non-existent address?
My ISP is Sympatico.ca, one of Canada's major ones. Recently I deleted an email address I had there, but then found that messages sent to that obsolete address don't produce a bounceback message telling the sender the address doesn't exist. Now Sympatico is telling me that that's the way it's supposed to be -- it's an anti-spam measure. Their message is shown below. Could anyone comment? -- http://urielw.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Executive Office of Customer Relations" <...@sympatico.ca> To: [uriel] Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:...

I fell into a strange trap today. Add non-existent properties to non-existent class!
<?php /* Making up class properties on the fly! -------------------------------------- PHP version 4.3.5 An instance of a class can have properties added on the fly. This behaviour tripped me up when I got my objects a bit mixed up where $wrongClassInstance->aVar='foo' should have been $correctClassInstance->aVar='foo'. No error was reported. PHP happily added aVar to the properties of $notThisOne being an instance of a class with no $aVar. Q1: Does this happen in PHP 5? Q2: Is there a way to trap or turn this off? */ class A { ...

Reply address different to the From address
I am using Eudora Pro 6.2 I have recently changed the dominant account by editing in Tools > Options > Getting Started Each new message carries the new dominant address in the "From" field. However when I "Reply" to a message the "From" field is the previous dominant address. Where is that pesky critter hiding? Thanks, Robin Chapple Robin Chapple <robinski@anti_spammelbpc.org.au> wrote: > I am using Eudora Pro 6.2 FYI, there is no such thing as "Eudora Pro 6.2". The last version of Eudora that had "pro"...

Fraud 7 (the President of cola Joe Michael): "a non-existent plastic version of my non-existent electric engine will power a Formula 1 car"
"Formula 1 2015 Formula 1 racing 2015 is sheduled to introduce larger KERS and compulsory electric propulsion down pit lanes. We have the HDA KERS to meet the KERS challenge, and plastic version of the magnetic pulse detonation wave engine world's best electric motor to satisfy any Formula 1 aspiring team. We also have the Halogen Drive to make smooth mixing of electric power and engine power in an F1 car as well as smooth continious variable reduction within the Halogen Drive that allows the engine to operate at maximum efficiency at all times without sudden changes experien...

Cannot add a new address to Address BookAfter years of using Eudora, I too have just encountered this problem. Fortunately, the Address Book's existing addresses are still usable by typing the Nicknam

Redirect Emails to non-existing accounts to a existing account
Hi there, I have a sendmail-8.12.8 running on Red Hat 9. I have three accounts (mark, john, and tom). If someone sends a email to "kjdfiez" which does not exist, could I redirect it to tom? And how? Thanks in advance, Ross "Ross" <ross@nospam.com> wrote in message news:TTwBb.23685$r%u1.21092@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com > I have a sendmail-8.12.8 running on Red Hat 9. > I have three accounts (mark, john, and tom). If someone sends a email > to "kjdfiez" which does not exist, could I redirect it to tom? And > how? Thanks in advance,...

How to use the /drop with a list of existing and non-existing variables ?
Hello, We are merging a very large number (+300) of data files into a single one. Since each data file to be merged has its own convention for variables names, we have to recode all the variables using the syntax (i.e. COMPUTE qpl_1=qpl). I'd like to know how to use the SAVE OUTFILE="test.sav" OR Match FILES /file=* with the /DROP subcommand to delete a list of variables. The problem is that in our list, we have many variables which does not exists in some but not all data files. So, i'd like to know if there's a workaround to use the /drop subcommand with va...

checking if a MAC address exist in a LAN and which is the attached IP address
Hello, I have a certain client which I know it's MAC address ; the IP of the client is cahnged from time to time. Sometimes this client is diconnected. Is there a way that I can know if that MAC address exist on the LAN ? can I know the IP address which is attached to this MAC address ? I know that there is a protocol which is called RARP which is supposed to handel mac-to-ip translations; but as I looked in ip-utils (to whic many net utils like ping belong), the rarpd seems to me something different. regards, John qwejohn@hotmail.com (john) wrote: > Is there a way that ...

Postmaster address
What is the rationaleattitude behind testing for a postmaster address at a mailserver? Apart from the fact that it is in RFCs. The only mail that ever arrives at my postmaster is spam, so it is disabled. Is there someway, through the configuration files sendmail.mc, aliases, etc (not the cf) that I can cater form the RC police? Aka tests for postmaster@mydomain are positive, but attempts to send a message get "FOAD spammer"*. T.I.A. *Offending 1 in 1 million person is a small risk and I'm a hearty supporter on open season on spammers. Fines are obviously doing nothing. ...

Translating VM address to physical addresses in a non-root app
We have an app that has direct access to a "smart" device. The app has allocated and locked into memory four 1MB buffers (using a "friendly" root process and shared memory). We have to translate the VM addresses of those buffers into physical addresses to be handed to the smart device. The buffers will then be *continuously* filled cyclically, with appropriate signalling of the app whenever a buffer boundary is crossed (that is, another buffer has been completely filled). What is the easiest way to get the virtual to physical mapping information once, with ...

linux system is asked for mac address of eth0 and replies with address of eth1
Hi there! We've some trouble with a Linux System (a redhead based CISCO server running kernel 2.4.21-37.ELsmp): We are arping'ing for the eth0 ip of our system from an other Linux box. Strangely, the first two or three replies do not contain the mac address of the eth0 interface, but of the eth1 interface. Both interfaces are configured and pluged into the same VLAN (there's just one flat VLAN available unfortunately), but have IPs from two different subnets. My idea is, that the eth1 interface feels responsible for routing to the eth0 interface, and thus sometimes replies to the...

Make "From" address on reply equal to "To" address on original?
Does anybody know of an easy way to reply to a message and automatically make the From address on the reply equal to the To address on the incoming message? For a more detailed explanation of what I mean, suppose I have a bunch of addresses set up to use for different mailing lists, etc. To avoid setting up a Eudora personality for each one, I forward them to a central address. e.g alterego1, alterego2, and alterego 3 all forward to main, so mail to all of them can be retrieved by checking main's pop mailbox. But if a message comes to alterego2, and ends up in main's ma...

do last ip address and next-hop ip address exist when an ip packet is in routing?
are there last ip address and next-hop ip address in an ip packet when it is in routing? In article <1164274924.419308.114380@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>, subscribe <samplestrategy@gmail.com> wrote: >are there last ip address and next-hop ip address in an ip packet when >it is in routing? As I explained previously, NO, not unless one of the two "source routing" options is used, and those two options are blocked by so many systems that they are seldom used. ...

COMMERCIAL: BalanceNG 3.204 available introducing a new MAC address scheme for non VRRP IPv6 addresses
BalanceNG 3.204 is now available at http://www.BalanceNG.net Release-Date: December 14, 2010 ---- Changes: * The MAC address scheme used to represent non VRRP IPv6 addresses has been changed. If the parameter "bngfilter" is active on Solaris systems (being the default), multiple instances may now share the same physical interface even for IPv6 traffic. * The manual has been updated accordingly. ---- Download-URL: https://www.inlab.de/balanceng/download.html ---- Here's a new online application example showing IPv4 Server Load-Balancing (SLB) in SNAT Prox...

Problem with the reply address
Hi all, I'm searching for an answer to my problem : some users in my compagny can write mail to different persons on others mail domains. The mail arrives to the recipients. But when the recipients try to make a reply to, They got a bad mail address. Here is an example of what they got : <G@mailgate4.ornis.com>; S<S.G@XXX.com> The user address is S.G@XXX.com on our exchange 2003 server and is presented like "G, S<S.G@XXX.com>" in outlook 2003, as is it linked to Active Directory. Does anyone have an idea to help me, because i am in the most total fog right now ?...

(Non-)Existing Projects.
This question has probably been asked a hundred times (I do'nt visit this newsgroup so often): When I want to open a RECENT Project I get a list that contains all possible projects I ever tried but never use again. In fact they don't exist any more. Is there a way to clean up that list? Bert. Its in the registry; HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0\RecentFiles -- Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP (VB) Veign's Resource Center http://www.veign.com/vrc_main.asp -- Read. Decide. Sign the petition to Microsoft. http://classicvb.org/petition/ "Bert van den Do...

sendmail reply addressing
I am setting up sendmail on SCO 5.0.6 . my server's name is msite and the domain is mysite.com My Outlook Express is set to: POP3 mail.mysite.com SMTP mail.airmail.net How do I set up sendmail to show a return address (from) of support@mysite.com <support@mysite.com> ? currently the best I can get is: support@mysite.com <root@airmail.net> The sender line, in recieving the email in OE, does show support@mysite.com but the opened message shows the above of which they cannot "reply" to it since it tries to reply to root@airmail.net. TIA Carl In article <d0k5...

Replying with the proper From: address
Hello everyone, I have my mail configured in such a way that email sent to any address at my domain goes to just one user account. For example, aaa@domain.c, bbb@domain.com, xyz@domain.com, and so on, all go to the same account. When I receive mail in Pine, it correctly shows this as a To: address. However, when I go to reply to such an email, Pine wants to use the default address that I configured, rather than the To: address it received. This is a pain because it requires me to manually edit the From: address. Does anyone know how to make Pine use the incoming To: address as the outgoing ...

Changing the reply-to address
Here's what I want to do: I have various customers who belong to different product groups. Let's call them Product1, Product2, etc. What I would like to do is have Pegasus automatically update the Reply-to (and possibly From) address to be Product1@domain.com, Product2@domain.com, etc, based upon some attribute in the address book. That way when the customer replies their email can be automatically sorted to the right email account. I can do this no problem with The Bat! which is a competitive product, but I'm quite keen to move everything to Pegasus if possible. I j...