postmaster replying to non existant address

I have inherited a sun running sendmail 8.11.6

Please can someone explain or point me at info for the following:

If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

comp.mail.sendmail 13505 articles. 1 followers. jfretby (35) is leader. Post Follow

T wrote:

> If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
> replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

> Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

Why would you want to do that?  Someone sends an important mail,
makes a small typo in the address, and you simply discard the mail?
Sounds like a Bad Idea.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
T wrote:
> If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
> replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

You can do the equivalent of defining LUSER_RELAY (where to send emails
addressed to what *should* be local users, but are unknown to this
machine). How to do that in detail depends on whether the inherited
sendmail.cf was generated as-is from a sendmail.mc, modified manually,
or generated otherwise (e.g., legacy); whether, in the first case, the
sendmail.mc is still available; and whether, in the second, the
modifications can be ported (with the effort you're willing to spend)
back into an updated sendmail.mc.

> Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

Sure, just have LUSER_RELAY point to the local user "nobody" (which is
usually aliased to /dev/null). Keep in mind, however, that from then on,
your sendmail will basically tell senders "the email's OK, I'll deal
with it," and then simply discard it. A legit sender may well make a
typo in the address, and later point to the fact that you "made the
mailserver lie in my face against standard practice" to blame any damage
on you.

Regards,
								J. Bern

0
bern (418)

sendmail accepts mail for non-existing subdomains
Hi! I've domain kemerovo.su that has many third-level subdomains each of which has own MX record, most of records point to my sendmail-powered relay having 'kemerovo.su' record in its relay-domains file. I have no 'relay_hosts_only' feature in my sendmail.mc file, so it receives mail for every subdomain. Sadly, it receives mail for non-existing domains too. Note, there is no asterisk (*) in the kemerovo.su zone. So, sendmail queues incoming mail for non-existing subdomains and then sends DSN with 'host unknown' error. How do I prevent it from doing such BadThing (TM)? The list of subdomains is ever changing so I'd rather not to use FEATURE(relay_hosts_only)... And I don't like FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX) too. Just need to stop it to accept mail for non-existing domains. I run 8.13.3 but may upgrade to 8.14.x if absolutely needed. Eugene Grosbein Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru> wrote: > I've domain kemerovo.su that has many third-level subdomains > each of which has own MX record, most of records point > to my sendmail-powered relay having 'kemerovo.su' record in its > relay-domains file. > > I have no 'relay_hosts_only' feature in my sendmail.mc file, > so it receives mail for every subdomain. Sadly, it receives > mail for non-existing domains too. Note, there is no asterisk (*) > in the kemerovo.su zone. So, sendmail queues incoming mail for > non-existing subdomains and ...

Re: sendmail accepts mail for non-existing subdomains
> Just need to stop it to accept mail for non-existing domains. Well, for Sendmail to /not/ accept mail for invalid domains it must know what domains are valid. Thus you must provide a list of valid domains. Usually this is done via the /etc/mail/relay_domains file. Grant. . . . 16 ��� 2008, �������, � 14:13 KRAT, Grant Taylor �������(�): >> Just need to stop it to accept mail for non-existing domains. GT> Well, for Sendmail to /not/ accept mail for invalid domains it must know what domains are valid. Thus you must provide a list of valid domains. Usually this is done via the /etc/mail/relay_domains file. I didn't say 'invalid domains', I said 'non-existing domains'. Eugene ...

Re: sendmail accepts mail for non-existing subdomains #3
> If domain exists in DNS then there is a record in mailertable diverting mail to UUCP for this domain. There is no need to validate domain and there are no bounces and there is no such thing as unknown recipient in existing domain :-) Have you considered a socketmap or a programmap to check either DNS or your Mailertable (or the likes) via a locle rule set? Grant. . . . ...

sendmail putting mails to non-existing hosts into local accounts
Sorry for crossposting (put it also on Stackoverflow, but no responses there): On a linux server ("myserver.com"), I have local users, e.g. users "john" and "mary". User "john" - through his mail client and authenticating correctly on his account "john@myserver.com" - sends an email to "mary@bogus-non-existing-host.com". Sendmail instead of rejecting the email, puts the same in the mailbox of local user "mary" (i.e., Sendmail rewrites "mary@bogus-non-existing-host.com" as "mary@myserver.com", ins...

Re: sendmail accepts mail for non-existing subdomains #2
>I didn't say 'invalid domains', I said 'non-existing domains'. Ok... Different interpretation on 'non-existing domains'. At first glance (IMHO) there is little difference. Doesn't Sendmail require valid sending domains by default? Or is the RELAY config overriding this and relaying for invalid and / or non-existing domains any way? Or does your domain (the parent domain) its self have an MX record that resolves to your server (I can't tell from my PDA) accidentally cover the invalid and / or non-existing sub domains thus making them valid in so far as a mail server is apparently willing to accep mail for them? Finally (for now), have you considered a call adead type milter to validate recipients before accepting the inbound message? Grant. . . . 16 ��� 2008, �������, � 15:16 KRAT, Grant Taylor �������(�): >>I didn't say 'invalid domains', I said 'non-existing domains'. GT> Ok... Different interpretation on 'non-existing domains'. At first glance (IMHO) there is little difference. GT> Doesn't Sendmail require valid sending domains by default? It does, but I'm not talking about sending domains - please see subject, it's about target domains. GS> Or is the RELAY config overriding this and relaying for invalid and / or non-existing domains any way? It queues mail for non-exiting subdomains of valid domain listed in relay-domains (class R). GT> Or does your do...

Should ISP's send bounceback on mail to non-existent address?
My ISP is Sympatico.ca, one of Canada's major ones. Recently I deleted an email address I had there, but then found that messages sent to that obsolete address don't produce a bounceback message telling the sender the address doesn't exist. Now Sympatico is telling me that that's the way it's supposed to be -- it's an anti-spam measure. Their message is shown below. Could anyone comment? -- http://urielw.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Executive Office of Customer Relations" <...@sympatico.ca> To: [uriel] Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:18 AM Subject: Re: Sympatico bouce messages Mr. Wittenberg, We were informed that all Sympatico customers on the MSN enhanced email platform will experience this issue. Microsoft has implemented this feature as a spam prevention method. This way spammers cannot update their spam lists as they cannot know which email address are valid and which are not. We thank you for your understanding in this matter Regards Executive Office of Customer Relations Bell Sympatico Internet Services Uriel Wittenberg wrote: > My ISP is Sympatico.ca, one of Canada's major ones. Recently I deleted > an email address I had there, but then found that messages sent to that > obsolete address don't produce a bounceback message telling the sender > the address doesn't exist. Sympatico, as usual, is full of sh*t. > Now Sympatico is telling me that that's the way it&#...

Mails from postmaster address to mailing list are lost
I have been using Mercury/32 with a domain mailbox for several years with very few problems. I currently use v3.31 (but my problem is also present with v3.32). But I have this problem: if the term 'postmaster' is part of the mail address of a mail sent to one of my mailing lists, the mail is never delivered. For example, if a mail from 'postmaster@somedomain.com' is sent to mailing list 'ml@mydomain.com', the mail is never delivered. The problem persists even if the from address is changed to 'postmaster42@somedomain.com'. If the from address is ch...

Mail-Followup-To header set for non-mailing-list addresses
So, I send an email out to a bunch of people (10-15, maybe), and mutt decides it should create a Mail-Followup-To header with every one of those addresses in it. Now, as I understand it, mutt should only be doing that for mailing lists that I've specified using "subscribe" or "lists". None of these addresses seem to match any of my lists, and even if by some strange chance I missed one that did, I wouldn't expect it to put every address, regardless of matching a list into the M-F-T header. This is unfortunate, as it leads to some people responding to *everyone*. Not good. Any ideas what I'm missing/what mutt's doing wrong? Thanks. dha -- David H. Adler - <dha@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/ The reader knows all your tricks by now, or thinks he/she does. You've been pulling doves out of your hat for 243 pages. Now you'd damned well better be able to pull out an alligator. - J. Michael Straczynski Hello David, On Monday, September 25, 2006 at 5:16:39 +0000, David H. Adler wrote: > None of these addresses seem to match any of my lists, and even if by > some strange chance I missed one that did, I wouldn't expect it to put > every address, regardless of matching a list into the M-F-T header. If A mails to B and C, where C is a mailing list, Mutt sets MFT:ABC (or MFT:BC if subscribed). Makes full sense, and is the intended design. The most probable explana...

Mail address only allowed for specific mail addresses
Hi, We have a normal mailgroup with a list of e-mail addresses which is configured with the normal :include:/path/to/textfile statement in the alias file. Now we want to restrict the list to the mailaddresses in the textfile. is this possible and if, are there some example rules for that? Thanks Oli Oliver Rahn wrote: > We have a normal mailgroup with a list of e-mail addresses which is > configured with the normal :include:/path/to/textfile statement in the > alias file. Now we want to restrict the list to the mailaddresses in the > textfile. See http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? ...

Can the Favourites Sidebar (IE, Opera, etc.) be addressed selectively (exist or non-exist)?
Hello, tonight I'm looking for a javascript piece of code which enables me to detect whether the user's internet browser has a favourites sidebar open and thus limits the "display space" of the adjacent table to a certain width. Background: I have created a webpage based on a 2 vs. 4 table structure: table 01 table02 table 11 table12 table21 table22 table31 table32 Tables 01 - 31 contain the navigation layer, tables 02 - 32 contain various contents. Tables 02 - 32 are open to the right side, i. e. tables 01 - 31 have a defined width, tables 02 - 32 have the width of &quo...

Mailing Addresses: Multiple addresses/address history?
For better or worse, I have chosen to implement mailing addresses in a particular application as a separate table. One Person ==> Many Addresses. It is a database for managing school reunions and people really do have multiple (summer/winter, for instance) mailing addresses. I'd also like to keep track of people's defunct addresses. To that end, "tblAddress". But I'm not sure how to handle address statuses/status dates....and even whether I need some more address-specific fields besides AddressType. Right off the bat, I need to identify addresses as current or defunct and keep track of when an address was last verified or when it became defunct (a form of verification, I guess...) Maybe tblAddress ==> tblAddressAddressStatus ==> tlkpAddressStatus where the link table has "Date" and "Remarks" columns? -- PeteCresswell Can you get by with AddressType for summer/winter, for instance and DateOfNewAddress? You could then use a query to return the type of address you want and then return the most current address of that type using the DateOfNewAddress field. -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:7hatm09l3j6k20g4dv130lm4uhkqb0mg6g@4ax.com... > For better or worse,...

OSX Mail: reply to addresses
Is it possible to have a particular reply-to-address selected automatically when emailing certain people? I think this might have been discussed recently. So if I'm at work and send an email to a friend it automatically comes from my personal email, not my work email. I have been selecting them manually but it would be great to be able to have it done automatically because I sometimes forget. In article <noemailhere-1731F9.11125628012008@news.mts.net>, The New guy <noemailhere@please.comm> wrote: > Is it possible to have a particular reply-to-address selected >...

Sending from non-existing address
Hello I'd like to send system-generated messages from no-reply@domain.com. But my virtusertable is preventing this, because (obviously) this address doesn't exist (and I have blocked unknown addresses). If I do enter no-reply in my virtusertable, I'd like to block it for incoming messages -> "no-reply@domain.com error:5.7.0:550 Address invalid". But this blocks the address also for sending. Is there a way to bypass this restriction for mails coming from the server itself (=localhost)? Or can I specify different virtuser-check responses for senders and recipients? Philippe Philippe Eberli wrote: > Hello > > I'd like to send system-generated messages from no-reply@domain.com. But > my virtusertable is preventing this, because (obviously) this address > doesn't exist (and I have blocked unknown addresses). > If I do enter no-reply in my virtusertable, I'd like to block it for > incoming messages -> "no-reply@domain.com error:5.7.0:550 Address > invalid". But this blocks the address also for sending. Use 'To:' in front if you want to block incoming messages to this address, take also a look at the thread "How do I reject messages sent to certain recipients?" -- //Aho On May 1, 12:37 pm, Philippe Eberli <p.ebe...@gmx.ch> wrote: > Hello > > I'd like to send system-generated messages from no-re...@domain.com. But > my virtusertable is preventing th...

Address when replying in mail.app
I have a mail.app behavior problem that I haven't been able to find a solution to. When replying to a message, mail.app will set the From address to the address that it thinks the message was sent to. I want to ALWAYS send mail using my primary email address, regardless of what mail.app sees in the To header. Has anyone figured out how to do this? Thanks, Frank Frank Peters <frank.peters@gmail.com> wrote: > When replying to a message, mail.app will set the From address to the > address that it thinks the message was sent to. > > I want to ALWAYS send mail using my...

allowing mail from a non-exist domain
is there in anyway i can allow mails for a specific domain. ie. a domain which does not exist. i have a test domain set up on one of my remote machines. say @xyz.com now there is a important mail which gets sent from there to my existing domain. say to me@existdomain.com i want to allow this mail to come. but when i see in the log files it shows me Domain of sender address mail@xyz.com does not exist. anyway to allow this mail. ?? DukeNM wrote: > is there in anyway i can allow mails for a specific domain. ie. a > domain which does not exist. > > i have a test domain set up on one of my remote machines. > say @xyz.com > > now there is a important mail which gets sent from there to my > existing domain. > say to me@existdomain.com If you usually use this "test" domain to convey "important mail", and if this domain shall remain active for some long time, the best you can do to accept mail from this domain, without side effects, is to create a zone "xyz.com" it at your dns, as you could do to your private domains. > > i want to allow this mail to come. > > but when i see in the log files it shows me > Domain of sender address mail@xyz.com does not exist. > > anyway to allow this mail. ?? On 2004-07-06, DukeNM <tridentadm@softhome.net> wrote: > is there in anyway i can allow mails for a specific domain. ie. a > domain which does not exist. > > i have a test domain se...

Configure default Reply-To address in sendmail
g the original From To information so for example: my server sends a mail to user@company.com from edi@host.company.com which works fine but my app people keep setting incorrect email address so the lotus notes attempt to send it back and fails ( leaving a dead msg ). So ideally I want to leave the From header intact while adding another email replt to like myemail@company.com. On reading other pages I have some questions for the above: 1- Can sendmail do this for the server as a whole in other words all out going mail has the same reply-to address? 2- Will lotus notes still attempt to send...

I fell into a strange trap today. Add non-existent properties to non-existent class!

Reject and ignore non-existing users mail
How can I tell sendmail to simply reject incoming spam mails to non-existing users on a Linux server, and completely ignore it i.e. don't return error to the sender or me (postmaster) and don't log it in the logwatch either? Thanks, Vinod On 2004-10-01, Vinod Gupta wrote: > How can I tell sendmail to simply reject incoming spam mails to > non-existing users on a Linux server, and completely ignore it i.e. > don't return error to the sender or me (postmaster) and don't log it > in the logwatch either? > > Thanks, > Vinod Rejecting? I could imagine, that an additional catch-all alias with mailbox /dev/null could work. I think, to don't log is a very bad idea. Someone could send to your server and you wouldn't even notice it. How will you react, if it is an attack? The nicer way is to configure logwatch to ignore those entries. But you should have a look at your logs. If Postmaster is not interested in the error mails, he could use procmail to filter them and put where ever he wants. -- Robert... Vinod Gupta wrote: > How can I tell sendmail to simply reject incoming spam mails to > non-existing users on a Linux server, and completely ignore it i.e. That's the default. > don't return error to the sender or me (postmaster) and don't log it > in the logwatch either? That would require a source code change; luckily you have the code. -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q...

How to deliver mail for different non-existing users?
I have a situation where I want mail for all *exept one* non-existing users sent to an alias, and that specific user send elsewhere. For example, mail for non-existing user ABCD should go to alias "specialuser", and mail for all other non-existing users should go to alias "otherusers". Can anyone advise how to do this? I'd like to stick to using just sendmail, by setting up sendmail.cf and/or aliases somehow. Thanks for any info! David On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:37:08 -0800, David Cunningham wrote: > I have a situation where I want mail for all *exept one* non-existing > users sent to an alias, and that specific user send elsewhere. > > For example, mail for non-existing user ABCD should go to alias > "specialuser", and mail for all other non-existing users should go to > alias "otherusers". > > Can anyone advise how to do this? I'd like to stick to using just > sendmail, by setting up sendmail.cf and/or aliases somehow. > > Thanks for any info! > > David I'd say that the virtusertable is for you. That's how I dump all mail *not* to the list of previous valid users. Steve David Cunningham wrote: > I have a situation where I want mail for all *exept one* non-existing > users sent to an alias, and that specific user send elsewhere. > > For example, mail for non-existing user ABCD should go to alias > "specialuser", and mail for all other non-existin...

Drop mails to non-existing local accounts
Hi, Is it possible to drop mails sending to non-existing local mail accounts in sendmail? Thanks. Jason "Jason Huang" <JasonHuang8888@hotmail.com> writes: >Is it possible to drop mails sending to non-existing local mail accounts in >sendmail? That's the default behavior. Jason Huang wrote: > Is it possible to drop mails sending to non-existing local mail accounts in > sendmail? What do you mean by "drop"? The default configuration rejects mail to non-existing local mail accounts which is the best behavior; discarding mail because of a typo is a Bad Idea. -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? ...

How configure sendmail for accepting mail for ANY rcpt address
I want configure sendmail for accepting mails which are from any sender address (anyuser@anydomain) and for any recipient addresses ( again, anyuser@anydomain), and delivering them to one local account. Reccomended practice for virtual domains probably isn't working - - I can create catch-all entry in a virtusertable for one destination domain, but how make entry for catch *all* destination domains? Is there any trick for this? Thank, Fr. Hanzlik Franta Hanzlik <franta@hanzlici.cz> wrote: > I want configure sendmail for accepting mails which are from any sender &g...

Reply address different to the From address
I am using Eudora Pro 6.2 I have recently changed the dominant account by editing in Tools > Options > Getting Started Each new message carries the new dominant address in the "From" field. However when I "Reply" to a message the "From" field is the previous dominant address. Where is that pesky critter hiding? Thanks, Robin Chapple Robin Chapple <robinski@anti_spammelbpc.org.au> wrote: > I am using Eudora Pro 6.2 FYI, there is no such thing as "Eudora Pro 6.2". The last version of Eudora that had "pro" in the name was 4.2.2. :) Presumably you mean that you are using Eudora in sponsored or paid mode as opposed to light mode? > I have recently changed the dominant account by editing in Tools > > Options > Getting Started > Each new message carries the new dominant address in the "From" field. Which indicates that you made the change correctly, so it doesn't sound like you need to worry about that. > However when I "Reply" to a message the "From" field is the previous > dominant address. > Where is that pesky critter hiding? Do you have additional personalities? If so, are you sure that the messages you're replying to don't belong to another personality that still has that address for the From: address? If you're not sure, check in the composition window to see which personality Eudor...

reject e-mails to non existing users
Hi, sm is used on a gataway server. Behind it is a mailserver also running sm. Due to continuous attacks (unsollicited messages) the gateway server spends a lot of time transferring e-mails to the internal server and back again. Most of these messages are for non-existing users. We are looking for a measure to equip the gateway with a table of local user names (and aliases) so that the gataway can do a much more efficient selection in deciding what needs to pass and what can be dropped (or rejected). sm has a feature "blacklist_recepients" that rejects incoming messages based on their recipients address. What we need is the whitelist variant on this. Who knows which way to go? Balvie Balvie wrote: > We are looking for a measure to equip the gateway with a table of local user > names (and aliases) so that the gataway can do a much more efficient > selection in deciding what needs to pass and what can be dropped (or > rejected). > > Who knows which way to go? There are many solutions : some of them are more complexes than others Not sure this completely solves your problem : your gateway server shall resolve all your internal addresses. OBS : This isn't a complete solution - you shall read a little more to see how exactly to do things. - define your internal server at Class W of gateway server : /etc/mail/local-host-names file - include at your aliases file, all internal aliases (groups, redirections, ...) - add aliases for each...

Accepting mail even for non existing user
Hi, I would like to ask for help. I administrate our small mail server, I don't know sendmail too much - I do mostly everything using Webmin. Our marketing dept. asked me modify configuration of our mail server (sendmail @ RH9) to it accepts mail for any recipient. If anybody send email for non existing user or alias the email returns back with following message: >>> DATA<<< 550 5.1.1 <anything@company.com>... User unknown 550 5.1.1 <anything@company.com>... User unknown <<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient) How to ensure to redirect mails for ...

Web resources about - postmaster replying to non existant address - comp.mail.sendmail

Postmaster General - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Postmaster General , in many countries, is the chief executive officer of the postal service of that country, responsible for oversight over ...

DATABASE at Postmasters, March 2009 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DATA BASE is an Oxford English Dictionary with the word "DATA BASE" cut into it with the laser cutter.

911 call from New Jersey postmaster: 'I have a carrier that's being attacked by wild turkeys' - abc7ny.com ...
A postmaster&#39;s call for help, after one of his mail carriers was trapped inside a truck surrounded by wild turkeys in New Jersey, has been ...

USPS delivers bad news to Clam Gulch postmaster
CLAM GULCH When MaryAnn Dyke took the job as postmaster in Clam Gulch 10 years ago, she figured she'd stay there "until I either tipped over ...

Shirley Barber left her stamp as postmaster
You could almost hear the collective sigh of disappointment when community members learned of the departure of our beloved Postmaster Shirley ...

Google launches Gmail Postmaster Tools to eliminate spam
... steps to try to reduce the amount of junk that reaches Gmail inboxes and today the company is taking things a step further with Gmail Postmaster ...

Is the Postmaster General the Most Powerless Man in Washington?
The funding predicaments facing the USPS chief demonstrate powerlessness in a job

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe to retire Feb. 1
Megan Brennan to take over for Donahoe, who took over the agency during a serious financial crisis Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe testifies ...

Postmaster General begs Congress for flexibility in cost cuts
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe pleaded with lawmakers on Wednesday not to block the financially strapped Postal Service ...

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe to retire
WASHINGTON (AP) â" Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe announced his retirement Friday amid annual Postal Services losses surpassing $5 billion ...