postmaster replying to non existant address

I have inherited a sun running sendmail 8.11.6

Please can someone explain or point me at info for the following:

If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

comp.mail.sendmail 13483 articles. 0 followers. jfretby (35) is leader. Post Follow

T wrote:

> If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
> replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

> Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

Why would you want to do that?  Someone sends an important mail,
makes a small typo in the address, and you simply discard the mail?
Sounds like a Bad Idea.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
T wrote:
> If someone sends mail to a non-existant user, how can I stop "postmaster"
> replying to the sender that the "user" was unknown.

You can do the equivalent of defining LUSER_RELAY (where to send emails
addressed to what *should* be local users, but are unknown to this
machine). How to do that in detail depends on whether the inherited
sendmail.cf was generated as-is from a sendmail.mc, modified manually,
or generated otherwise (e.g., legacy); whether, in the first case, the
sendmail.mc is still available; and whether, in the second, the
modifications can be ported (with the effort you're willing to spend)
back into an updated sendmail.mc.

> Is it possible to make sendmail just trash e-mails sent to "user unknown"

Sure, just have LUSER_RELAY point to the local user "nobody" (which is
usually aliased to /dev/null). Keep in mind, however, that from then on,
your sendmail will basically tell senders "the email's OK, I'll deal
with it," and then simply discard it. A legit sender may well make a
typo in the address, and later point to the fact that you "made the
mailserver lie in my face against standard practice" to blame any damage
on you.

Regards,
								J. Bern

0
bern (418)

Non-Apple Wireless routers
I am thinking about buying a second MacBook which means I will have to re-up my wireless internet (currently my MB is on my desk next to the modem so I just plug directly in). I am also thinking about saving a few bucks and getting something other than Airport Express. From personal experience, Linksys doesn't always play nice with Macs, so I am wondering if anyone has any experience with ones I should definitely consider and those I should run screaming in the opposite direction from. Thank In article <kurtullman-56AC70.09455308062007@customer-201-125-217-207.u...

fun with Panther's address book
I've been exploring the various pop-up menus that you get on the revised Address Book with panther, and many are quite neat, like "large type" for showing a phone number you are going to dial. One that I don't understand is "copy address label" which is in the popup when you control-click on an address. It seems to put something in the clipboard, but TexEdit and Word aren't able to read it. The Finder's clipboard window just says "contents unknown". Why isn't this just the text of the address label? I don't see an easy way to get ...

Creating non-const references to temporaries
Is this code legal? template <typename T> class reference_class { T& ref_; public: reference_class(T& ref) : ref_(ref) { } operator reference_class&() const { return *const_cast<reference_class<T>*>(this); } }; template <typename T> inline reference_class<T> reference(T& ref) { return reference_class<T>(ref); } What I want to do is to pass "reference(some_variable)" to a routine that expects a non-const reference (actually, boost::tie()). I think I'm allowed to do this because the actual temporary i...

Atari XL/XE/Lynx Emulator for Color Palms exist?
Does anyone know of such Atari emulator to play 8-bit game (XE/XL) and maybe 2600 games and Lynx on Color Palm PDAs? Which PalmOS versions? Where to find it? Mike MStepansky wrote: > Does anyone know of such Atari emulator to play 8-bit game (XE/XL) and > maybe > 2600 games and Lynx on Color Palm PDAs? Which PalmOS versions? Where > to find it? > > Mike Don't think there are any. But there is a commercial one for some Atari 2600 games. http://www.mobilewizardry.com/press/20031011-atari.php ...

Checking range of IP addresses
A Perl script I wrote for a CGI is getting spammed. So I'm identifying and blocking ranges of IP addresses. At first I used IF statements like this: # 218.73.64.0 - 218.73.79.255 banned @ip = split(/\./, $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}); if ($ip[0] == 218 && $ip[1] == 73 && ($ip[2] >= 64 && $ip[2] <= 79)) { $banned = 1; } I know that's probably horrible programming and not very elegant. But it worked. Now the list I want to block is getting longer. I could continue to add IF statements but I feel that's probably stupid. Any suggestions how I might ...

Duplicating log lines from postmaster #2
I am seeing strange behavior with my postmaster logs, it seems to be writing out each line of a log entry 10 times. This seems to have started recently without any know config changes. I am running 7.3.2 on RedHat 7.3 i386. Below is a snippet from the logs. Thanks in advance for any help. Thanks, Justin Cragin Oct 28 10:04:18 p01d187 postgres[11125]: [1] ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "AND" at character 82 Oct 28 10:04:18 p01d187 postgres[11125]: [1] ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "AND" at character 82 Oct 28 10:04:18 p01d187 postgres[1...

Link to objects in an mdb with a non-"mdb" extension
Hello -- I am using Enterprise Architect, a UML modeling tool, which is built on a pre-Access 2000 mdb. The database describing the model has the extension ".eap". I want to build some queries, reports, etc., on this model and want to store them in a separate mdb. Is there a way to link to objects in an Access database that has a non-"mdb" extension? Thanks for any help. L Mehl --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.528 / Virus Database: 324 - Release Date: 10/16/2003 Assuming there are ...

A reply to Marvin Minsky.
Sorry, google wouldn't let me reply to the original article. Marvin Minsky wote (in a very thought provoking article): Why do we have the sense that things proceed in smooth, continuous ways? Is it because, as some mystics think, our minds are part of some flowing stream? think it's just the opposite: our sense of constant steady change emerges from the parts of mind that manage to insulate themselves against the continuous flow of time! In other words, our sense of smooth progression from one mental state to another emerges, not from the nature of that pro...

Open data in existing sas enterprise guide window
I upgraded to SAS 9.3 recently. When I double click sas dataset in windows explorer, how can I let it open in existing sas enterprice guide window, instead of a new window? Thanks. ...

Reply-all drops some original CC recipients
Hi all, I've noticed that when I receive a group e-mail that has multiple CC's and want to reply-all, all but one of the CC recipients is being dropped. For example, I got and replied to an e-mail with the following headers this morning: From: aaaa@company.com To: bbbb@company.com CC: cccc@company.com CC: dddd@company.com (me) CC: eeee@company.com CC: ffff@company.com CC: gggg@company.com When I hit reply-all, I get: To: aaaa@company.com, bbbb@company.com CC: cccc@company.com eeee, ffff and gggg were dropped (of course, I don't care that I was dropped). ...

about postmaster...
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0039_01C3AD50.1FD24A10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-2" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can i run postmaster and php4 together under windows xp? I already got postmaster running, but i cant run php. I tried to install it= but there is something that i do wrong, dont know what :( i know i suck, but i need your help=20 iron ------=_NextPart_000_0039_01C3AD50.1FD24A10 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-2" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <...

Re: Parsing Multiple Email Addresses #4
Rather than key on a specific "filler" word like "or", I thought it might be better let the index function condition the output and weed out any debris.... Nice touch with the double tranwrd. -----Original Message----- From: Howard Schreier [mailto:Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV] Sent: October 30, 2003 12:27 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Parsing Multiple Email Addresses Here are some additional suggestions. To take care of the "or...

Non-Uniform Scale
Hi, Somebody please put me out of my misery and tell me how I can get non-uniform scale to work. Uniform scale works perfect but non-uniform scale just will not work - nothing happens when I drag the handles. I'm using Max 5 - for the moment!! Many thanks Terry from my experience working on CStudio, if my geometry is not ready to be scaled, then i cannot scale geometry at all. by this i mean, that if my character is in T-pose and i try to scale the biped, then nothing happens. check to see if there is a parallel in your case. "T.G." <gaff67@eirco...

a confusing way to get a pointer's address
Hi, i feel confused about the following program, and it's works to get a pointer-member's address. #define NETDEV_ALIGN 32 #define NETDEV_ALIGN_CONST (NETDEV_ALIGN - 1) static inline void *netdev_priv(struct net_device *dev) { return (char *)dev + ((sizeof(struct net_device)+ NETDEV_ALIGN_CONST) & ~NETDEV_ALIGN_CONST); } On 7 2 , 6 56 , !truth <noddy_zh...@asustek.com.cn> wrote: > Hi, > i feel confused about the following program, and it's works to get a > pointer-member's address. > > #defi...

When replying, please delete past replies.
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------=_NextPartTM-000-706ebc17-54a7-4561-88b4-40626a3c0a76 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C39371.F719B330" ------_=_NextPart_001_01C39371.F719B330 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Hi Colleagues, When replying to questions, I have noticed that some people include past replies from all the other people that have replied. ( See below example) Can we all refrain from re...

Forum Software
Hi Everyone, Hope that all is well. We're looking to implement "Forum" capabilities in an existing site for the users of that site. The most important feature that we're looking for is to create a Forum Hierarchy and rights. That means, we want to divide the forum into "categories". The "corporate" users will see all categories. The rest of the users will see only "categories" applicable to the area to which they belong and their roles. We don't want to show all the categories for everyone except the highest lev...

How can I make sure non-soket communication in SMP ?
HI I need some help. I have two parallel system. 1.IBM PC Linux Cluster(Giagbit ethernet) 2.8Cpu SMP machine my project is some parallel application in MPI.(mpich-1.2.6) here my first question. when runing 2 cpu each machine Cluster one-times communication overhead 12seconds. SMP machine one-times communcaiton overhead 7seconds. I wonder this result. I think SMP machine ..non-ethernet communication(intra-comm) very faster than cluster..in communication time. but does not.(I compile mpich -com=shared -machine-ch-smp -and use protland pgf90) How can I make sure intra-comm In SMP ma...

solving simultaneous non linear equations #2
Hi...i'm a new user of MATLAB and and just starting to learn. I need help for solving simultaneous non linear equations as to complete my final year project. Actually the equations is a description of a power system model and i need to study the affect of automatic volatage regulator on transient stability of a power system. Below is an example of the MATLAB script that i obtained from my lecturer but it is used for older version of Matlab and currently i'm using MATLAB R2006a. I've tried to run the script in MATLAB R2006a but some errors occured. Please help me. MATLAB script for...

Re: OT: Non-conservative comments #11
-----Original Message----- From: John Lee [mailto:jlee@vaskecomputer.com] > But governments over there are harboring terrorists. And those terrorists have declared war on the world and > nobody's doing anything about it. It's gone on long enough. It's time to drag them out, and if those governments > over there aren't going to help us, then we'll do it without their help or approval. This is the big difference in viewpoint, I think. Should the attacks be made against rogue states or failed states? Is a conventional military attack the best appr...

BLOADing non-standard files
Is it possible in Applesoft to BLOAD files of types other than BIN? I end up with a lot of files of type $00 which I would like to work with, but I'd also like to avoid having to launch ProTerm to change the file types. -s _____ |[LD8]! 8-BIT SOUND & FURY : APPLE ][ AUDIO & MUSIC RESOURCES | o. | +--------- http://8bitsoundandfury.ld8.org ---------+ !__!__! OLD APPLE WEB SERVER LIST http://www.ld8.org/servers On Jan 12, 6:41 pm, "Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote: > Is it possible in Applesoft to BLOAD files of types other than BIN? I end &g...

PB G4 keeps on picking up spoofed IP address?
I am having a curious problem with my powerbook G4 which I should recognise as needing to reinstall TCP/IP on a PC. I am not sure how to do this on a Mac The problem is that the airport card keeps picking up a spoofed IP address. Restarting has cured this in the past but no amount of renewing IP leases while the thing is running gets anything other than a 169.254 IP address. Suddenly with a strong WiFi signall, in the middle of retrieving a large OS update, the computer decided to switch to this 169.254 IP address for no apparent reason! Amd naturally, no change to a different ...

T41 vs. non-Windows vs. BIOS hibernation
I tried to make BIOS hibernation work with an (un-Windowsed) T41, but failed up to now. Did *anybody* here *actually manage* to do this? I know all the Google results stating "I didn't try Hibernation (with [Linux|*BSD]), but it should work"... Regards, -is Ignatios Souvatzis wrote: > I tried to make BIOS hibernation work with an (un-Windowsed) T41, but > failed up to now. > What have you tried so far? tphdisk? > Did *anybody* here *actually manage* to do this? I know all the Google > results stating "I didn't try Hibernation (with [Linux|*BSD]), b...

6502 indirect addressing
the goal is to have a pointer to an address, be able to modify that pointer, and to LDA with the value of the address that is pointed to. I want to do this: pointer = $00 ;zero page location 0 is lobyte of pointer ;zero page location 1 is hibyte of pointer lda #<addresstoaccess sta pointer lda #>addresstoaccess sta pointer+1 lda (pointer) ;this would load from addresstoaccess ;a = 01 according to table below inc pointer lda(pointer) ;a=02 according to table below etc. addresstoaccess dfb # 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, FF *...

Cannot parse the address......
Hi Win/32 ver.4.41 I'm receiving the following error message on every loadup immediately after the shortcut has been selected: WinPMail cannot parse the address '<Standardbank-e- mailunit@standardbank.co.za)>'. Figured it's a malformed address somewhere, but where.? Searched the c:\pmail folder (and subfolders) for any file containing "standardbank.co.za)" and also for "bank-e-mailunit" but that turned up nothing. Queues seem to be empty. Any suggestions please.... .les. Les Juby wrote on 23 jan 2007 in comp.mail.pega...

[9fans] Automatic Reply/Respuesta Automatica
SSB3aWxsIGJlIG91dCBvZiB0aGUgb2ZmaWNlIHVudGlsIEF1Z3Vz dCAyLiBJZiB5b3UgbmVlZCBhc3Npc3RhbmNlIGluIG15IGFic2Vu Y2UgcGxlYXNlIGNvbnRhY3Qgb3VyIHN0YWZmIGF0IDcwNi01NDIt NDExMC4gDQoNCkVzdGFyw6kgZnVlcmEgZGUgY29udGFjdG8gaGFz dGEgbGFzIDIgZGUgYWdvc3RvLiBQb3IgZmF2b3IsIHNpIHVzdGVk IG5lY2VzaXRhIGFsZ28gbGxhbWUgYSA3MDYtNTQyLTQxMTAuIEdy YWNpYXMu ...