Problem: Mail bypassing MX records and Mail Screening

We have a Sophos virus screener, and it is the Primary first-choice
DNS MX record for virtually all addresses in our domain, call it
emailchek.  The IMAP mail host itself, call it jove, is listed as a
secondary fall-back second-choice MX record.  In the normal course of
events, outside world mail goes to emailchek, then through a dedicated
pipe to jove.  The secondary MX record exists for times when emailchek
gets overloaded or hangs; jove doesn't have screening software.
Ideally, all mail should appear on jove either through the pipe from
emailchek OR directly from a host within our domain.

Alas, I see about 200-300 emails an hour coming from the outside world
that never go through emailchek.

How can this be?  I don't think emailchek is overloaded....this
happens even in the dead of night.

It occurs to me that, if a mailer can send mail to a secondary MX
record address if the the first is overloaded, then it could be
gimmicked by &*^%$s to send to the last choice MX record right from
the beginning.

If so, the idea of having a fallback MX record is a Bad Idea, unless
all of the MX records refer to hosts with the same level of screening.

Indeed, maybe spammers are using gimmicked mailers that ignore MX
records and go direct to a symbolic or dotted quad numeric address.

The thought of spammers and virus-writer totally bypassing all your
security screen by direct addressing is horrendous.

Comments?

Is it possible to configure sendmail to only receive mail originating
from within its domain (so that only the screening machines would be
taking outside world mail)?  I guess I would have to have some sort of
heartbeat check against the screening machines; should they go down,
I'd have to copy over the sendmail.cf with a version that would take
outside world mail, then stop and restart sendmail.

Suggestions?  I'm running sendmail 8.11.6p2 under AIX 5.2

Sample maillog syslog records for the offending mailing===========

Nov 30 09:01:55 jove sendmail[1245220]: hAUE1t61245220:
from=<Lindi@hotxxxmail.com>, size=1734, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<m$99--71p25$c2b4$$3m5$e@lada682>, proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=[69.42.66.124]
Nov 30 09:03:30 jove sendmail[995416]: hAUE3T6995416:
from=<posh@shapelessness.zoohoo.com>, size=791, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<20031130.107.996223103@shapelessness.zoohoo.com>, proto=SMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=[66.28.60.229]
Nov 30 09:03:51 jove sendmail[704520]: hAUE3p6704520:
from=<nde_66396875@informz.net>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0,
proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=mailer2.informz.net [66.192.199.142]
(may be forged)
Nov 30 09:07:39 jove sendmail[1404994]: hAUE7d61404994:
from=<out@bpick03.net>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=[69.6.43.109]
Nov 30 09:10:10 jove sendmail[1409060]: hAUEA961409060:
from=<2hxvlcel@nus.edu.sg>, size=5941, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<2-22t0$wf64a$i6$0@qm2.8nu46euku>, proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=h000795d8b46a.ne.client2.attbi.com [24.147.4.63]
0
sdean (12)

sdean@ulster.net (Stewart Dean) writes:

>We have a Sophos virus screener, and it is the Primary first-choice
>DNS MX record for virtually all addresses in our domain, call it
>emailchek.  The IMAP mail host itself, call it jove, is listed as a
>secondary fall-back second-choice MX record.  In the normal course of
>events, outside world mail goes to emailchek, then through a dedicated
>pipe to jove.  The secondary MX record exists for times when emailchek
>gets overloaded or hangs; jove doesn't have screening software.
>Ideally, all mail should appear on jove either through the pipe from
>emailchek OR directly from a host within our domain.

>Alas, I see about 200-300 emails an hour coming from the outside world
>that never go through emailchek.

>How can this be?  I don't think emailchek is overloaded....this
>happens even in the dead of night.

There is actually software out there designed to try the
secondary MX first.

Welcome to the wonderful world of spamware, abuseware, malware :-(

0
nn (690)

Mail 2.1, two PBG4s, synchronizing mail and mail problems
Here's the sitch: PBG4 w/broken screen, running an external (duh) Samsung monitor. This is my shop PB, it's currently masquerading as an immobile desktop. PBG4 all fixy-fix. Mostly keep at home, but also on the road. LaCie 320GB external Firewire drive. backup at shop (used Migration Assistant to copy the shop PB's system (10.4.7), apps, and docs to the FireWire drive) Two mail accounts -- one on each PB -- both of which accounts dump into Mail 2.1, on both PBs. With me so far? *I'm* already lost... Problem one: Is there a way -- besides signing up with .Mac -- that I can synchronize the mail on both machines? Failing that, is there a way -- besides doing it message-by-message -- to save the text and attachments from new mail messages? Problem two: Though by all means I can understand, both PBs are set up exactly the same way and certainly the mail prefs are the same, when I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at home, it opens Firefox to the correct page, just like it ought to do, but if I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at the shop, the mail window flashes once, but nothing opens. Both PBs are set up with Firefox as the default browser. What in the ding-dong am I doing wrong? Thanks! Bart Brown ...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM ...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access.db')dnl FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl FEATURE(`genericstable',`hash /etc/mail/genericstable.db')dnl GENERICS_DOMAIN(`domain.com')dnl FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl FEATURE(`redirect')dnl FEATURE(`smrsh')dnl define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl FEATURE(`domaintable', `hash -o /etc/mail/domaintable.db')dnl Cwserver.domain.com MASQUERADE_AS(`domain.com')dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`domain.com')dnl define(`confSEPARATE_PROC', `True')dnl define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `12')dnl define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE',20000000)dnl MAILER_DEFINITIONS MAILER(local)dnl MAILER(smtp)dn...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM "FabienM" <FabienM@badadress.fr> writes: > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom of the screen and none of the body content should be visible any more. When you're done, double-click on it again. Or drag it instead of double-clicking on it. -- Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed. No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html Are you posting responses that are easy for others to follow? http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting > > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... > > double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages > from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom > of the screen and none of the body content should be visible > any more. fabulous !!! it's crazy how a double-click can save your life... :) t...

mails in the mail queue
Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the queued mails will be delivered. Thanks for advices! Bridge wrote: > Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without > delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the > queued mails will be delivered. sendmail -odq your@address < some.mail See man sendmail and doc/op/op.* about DeliveryMode. -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? Bridge wrote: > Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without > delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the > queued mails will be delivered. DeliveryMode=deferred -- Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN 2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/ ...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ > How to do that? If everything else fails: - delete mail - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail On 18 Aug 2005, Holger Marzen wrote: > * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > >> I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ >> How to do that? > > If everything else fails: > > - delete mail > - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail What Holger wrote should work, but it's cleaner to change where Pine looks for mailboxes. I discuss this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more >...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to ".mail/". Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". > Change "mail/" to ".mail/". This is great! Thanks Eduardo!! I'll never change from Pine. That's for sure. > http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I would like to change my email when using mailinglists. The only thing Pine now needs is a way to use PGP/GPG as attachments...=) Hugs, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any :) effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I :) would like to change my email w...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only :) one such directory? Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, if so remove it. It is possible that this may break other applications (e.g. Mutt). Hopefully it won't. Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: > > :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems > :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both > :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is > :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only > :) one such directory? Eduardo Chappa wrote: > Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, No. The directories are not...

Problem with mail.app not finding mail
I'm using Mail 4.1 on 10.6.1, and my wife is using Mail 2.1.3 on 10.4.11, so there's not an exact convergence. I have mine set up to get mail from our web host, and it works fine. I have Louise's set up to get mail from our Web host, and it doesn't work. My problem is that I have no clue how to diagnose the problem - which end it's on. As far as I can tell, I set both accounts up the same on our Web host (an external service, not run by us), and I've set both mail.app accounts up the same. How do I troubleshoot this? In article <231020091035146216%ralph@whitehous...

mails sent by sendmail were treated as junk mail
Hi there, I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure it to work as my main mailserver which allow POP3 and SMTP connection from outside. My problem is that I cannot send out any mails which appears like sender: xxx@mydomain.com. If I send mail through terminal, my sent-out mail would looks like aaa@hostname.mydomain.com instead of aaa@mydomain.com. hostnam.mydomain.com is a qualified name of my linux box runing sendmail. Second, I configured a openwebmail on this linux box to allow users login from anywhere to manager their mails, and it works fine. However, all the out-going mails sent throug openwebmail are treated as junk mail by most mail server like hotmail and yahoo. It was complained as unknown sender(at this case, sender appears aaa@mydomain.com) Does anyone have any experience in such situation or have any ideas how to configure sendmail to solve my problems? My network setting is simply as router -> DMZ zone -> linux box which is runing sendmail. I have a domain, mydomain.com, which is parking at a domain hosting company where my zone file is actually located. I changed the MX record in the zone file so that it points to my static ip address(eg. 10.11.12.113). After some simple changes were done, I can receive any emails sent to my domain, like xxx@mydomain.com. Thanks for any ideas! In article <d57b272d.0405151235.19d0384b@posting.google.com> vbcache@hotmail.com (cerberus) writes: > >I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure ...

Mail redirect before new mail arrives problem
Dont know if this has anything to do with the fact that we are running Lotus Notes Domino 5.0.12 on Linux BUT I have a problem with mail redirection. I have created a agent in my mailfile (on server) - shared agent - runs 'before new mail arrives - simple action to send mail (including copy of document) to another user in the address book. This works fine on most of our servers but there are a couple of exceptions. Here is what happens when you watch the Domino console when a new email arrives for this user 06/26/2003 11:00:01 AM Router: The New Mail Agent in mail/sthor...

Mail:Sender

Junk mail handling problems in Mail.app
Since upgrading to Panther I have encountered trouble getting junk mail handling to work properly. I don't know whether its a bug in "Mail" or a local problem. What happens is this. If the Preferences are set to "When Junk Mail arrives -- Move it to the Junk mailbox (Automatic)" the Junk mail Icon (in the Mailboxes drawer) increments up as Junk messages arrive. The number of messages is shown alongside the Icon. However, when the Icon is selected none of these messages are listed in the main window. Looking in ~/Library/Mail/Junk/ there is a file named 'Inco...

mail stays in mail-queue but alternative MX is available.
Dear group, My environment: Solaris 11 with Sendmail Version 8.14.8 Last Friday we had a problem with our DNS servers for a short time. DNS was= not working internally. We have one external which was responding correclt= y all over the time. During that time a mail was generated and should be se= nt to aon.at=20 AON has 2 MX: mx10.aon.at. and mx20.aon.at. with value 10 and 20 )=20 This e-mail was queued with a syslog message:=20 relay=3Dmx10.aon.at. [213.33.98.148], dsn=3D4.0.0, stat=3DDeferred: Connect= ion timed out with mx10.aon.at. After a short time the DNS issue was solved. A second e-mail was sent to AO= N.=20 This was delivered very fast to relay=3Dmx20.aon.at. [195.3.96.71]=20 The first e-mail was in the queue for 2 days ( i have confTO_QUEUERETURN = =3D 2d ) and then the sender got a Failed Delivery Notification for the fir= st e-mail.=20 mx10.aon.at is not available till now. I am not sure if this problem is really related to the DNS issue we had.=20 Why didn't the sendmail process check the possibility to deliver the queued= e-mail to mx20.aon.at. This was available all the time. I thought - and th= is is maybe a misunderstanding by myself - the sendmail process is trying a= ll MX for a domain if it tries to deliver an e-mail out of the queue.=20 Kind regards=20 Hans=20 --=20 Hans Mayer wrote: > This e-mail was queued with a syslog message: > relay=mx10.aon.at. [213.33.98.148], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Def...

problem with Sync between Entourage mail and Qsync mail for Palm
QSync is the conduit that enables downloading eamil messages from Microsoft Entourage to Mail on Palm. My problem is default conduit settings for QSync Mail do not stick. After choosing the folder in the sync dialog window, the first sync works fine. The next sync does not transfer any email. The software dev sites link for the sync software does not have any support for the product. http://www.queuesoft.jp/queuesync-e.html Is there a user out ther that has a better experience with this software or a better freeware solution? nb ...

Hi all, Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd like sendmail to just send out mails but when it receives mails, it should forward it to our pop server. should we use mailertable for this or some other method? thanks for any info ike lozada schrieb: > Hi all, > > Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) > Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd > like sendmail to just send out mails but when it receives mails, it > should forward it to our pop server. should we use mailertable for > this or some other method? yes, we do that too. Just enter your domain in the mailertable, but on the receiving side there must be a mta, too, of course. So both servers should be running, e.g. sendmail. the pop server has to allow relaying of the smtp server, too. Keep your receiving server in brackets in the mailertable entry to prevent dns lookups, like so yourdomain.com smtp:[internalserver.internaldomain.com] Tim Tim Aden <corrodan@netcologne.de> wrote in message news:<c08rl4$3ft$1@newsreader2.netcologne.de>... > ike lozada schrieb: > > > Hi all, > > > > Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) > > Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd > > like sendmail to just send out mails but when...

Mail refuses to get mail
2 weeks ago I noticed that Mail.app didn't get the mail from 1 of my 2 IMAP accounts (set to collect mail every 5 minutes). The other account, on the same server continued working normally. The problem was solved after a reboot. Yesterday the other account was stuck in the same way. This time a relaunch of Mail.app sufficed. Strange and nasty problem. Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any permanent solutions except switching to another e-mail client? (I am considering Thunderbird now). System: Intel iMac, 24", 2.8 GHz, 4 Gb RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Mail 4.1 -- Zala zala(a...

Mail hiding mail
hi! I am switching (maybe?) to Apple's Mail program. I like that Spotlight seems to have indexed some stuff I tried out there long ago having imported it from Eudora as a test. And Mail's searching is pretty fast, too. But... I just watched Mail grind away importing my old Netscape/Mozilla mail. As a test, I searched for a random word. It found a message, but when I looked at the message body it read, in italics: " The message from robert a moeser <ram@XXXXtiacYYYY.net> concerning �The measure of a cat...� has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take ...

mail.app does not fetch mail
Hi: For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via pine on the shell account at the isp. Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the mailers I have around seem to support ssl. Any help greatly appreciated! Eric In article <250120041742285724%UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie>, Eric Rainey <UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie> wrote: > Hi: > For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my > pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or > the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via > pine on the shell account at the isp. > Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a > little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. > I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the > mailers I have around seem to support ssl. > Any help greatly appreciated! > Eric Same thing's been happening with my version of Mail.app, v. 1.2.5. Problems started a few days ago when checking my DotMac account. The mailbox soon went dim. Under the Mailbox Menu, I noticed the DotMac account was Offline. Restorin...

Pending Mail-Mail.box
I'm running Domino 6.5 and Windows2000 on my SMTP server. I'm getting a few complaints that internet email, inbound and outbound, sometimes takes 10 or more hours to deliver. I have 2 mail.box'es. I open them and they have email that is more than 24 hours old that is still Pending. IBM support keeps telling me thats normal. That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't mail.box be continually cearling itself out? What should I be looking at? buckeyedave84@hotmail.com (BuckeyeDave) wrote: >I'm running Domino 6.5 and Windows2000 on my SMTP server. I'm...

Web resources about - Problem: Mail bypassing MX records and Mail Screening - comp.mail.sendmail

REPORT: More Brands Uploading Videos Directly to Facebook, Bypassing YouTube
Are brands bypassing YouTube altogether and uploading videos directly to Facebook? Yes, according to the latest research from social media analytics ...

YouTube - How to get full access to iPhone photo library bypassing the passcode on iOS 7 Beta 1
Veröffentlicht am 12.06.2013 Please, subscribe ! ...and remember "thumb up". Steps: 1- From the Lock Screen, open the Control Center. 2- Tap ...

Study: Gifted children benefit from bypassing school for university
While his kindergarten classmates were learning to tie their shoelaces, Jacob Bradd was solving algebra problems.

Bypassing Telstra's P2P crackdown is child's play
Does Telstra really think it can thwart P2P file-sharing, or does it just want to drive data hogs to other ISPs?

Bypassing Vatican procedures, Pope Francis declares Jesuit Pierre Favre a saint
Pope Francis on Tuesday declared the 16th-century Jesuit Pierre Favre a saint, bypassing the Vatican's typical saint-making procedures to honour ...

Black Box device can brute-force iOS 8.1 PINs, bypassing repeated attempts lockout & data-wipe
Security company MDSec has been testing a black box device that manages to gain access to iPhones running up to iOS 8.1 by brute-forcing the ...

Poll: Nearly 50% of CMOs Look to Buy Programmatic Ads Directly, Bypassing Agencies
Advertisers have traditionally left the task of buying and planning media to their agencies, whose heft at the negotiating table has led to consistently ...

Obama to Explore Bypassing Congress Gun Control - Al Jazeera America
'We know that we can't stop every act of violence,' Obama said Friday. 'But what if we tried to stop even one?'

Bypassing Obama
In the black days following the Obama administration's inaugural revels, some good news is always welcome. And the WSJ has just furnished us ...

FCC reportedly set to fine Google "tens of millions" for bypassing Safari privacy settings
The US Federal Trade Commission is reportedly negotiating with Google over the size of a fine that will be imposed for the search giant's efforts ...