problem sending mail from machine without running sendmail as a daemon

Hello,
I have set up a linux 2.4.20-6 (version 9) box that has sendmail
version 8.12.8 installed.   This machine is not used for processing
mail from other machines and I would rather not have sendmail running
as a daemon.  I do have a need to send mail from this box.  Normally,
I do not need to run sendmail as a daemon to this.  However, for some
reason, I get the following error:

[root@mylinux log]# mail -v lisa@nisd.net
Subject: jlksfd
sjdfj;s
Cc:
lisa@nisd.net... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
lisa@nisd.net... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

Obviously, it is attempting to connect to itself and since there is
nothing on port 25 to answer, the attempt to mail fails.  If I run
sendmail in the background, the message is delivered without a
problem.

On all my other unix boxes not running sendmail as a deamon the
exchange looks like this:
[root@monet named]# mail -v lisa@nisd.net
Subject: jsdjf
jsjsf
skjf
Cc:
lisa@nisd.net... Connecting to orb.nisd.net. via esmtp...
blah blah blah - the mail is delivered.

The version 9 box appears to be choosing the "relay" mailer, while my
other boxes use "esmtp".

Has anybody else run into this?

Thanks,
---Lisa&
0
lisa6705 (1)

Lisa Gerlich wrote:
> Hello,
> I have set up a linux 2.4.20-6 (version 9) box that has sendmail
> version 8.12.8 installed.   This machine is not used for processing
> mail from other machines and I would rather not have sendmail running
> as a daemon.  I do have a need to send mail from this box.  Normally,
> I do not need to run sendmail as a daemon to this.  However, for some
> reason, I get the following error:
>
> [root@mylinux log]# mail -v lisa@nisd.net
> Subject: jlksfd
> sjdfj;s
> Cc:
> lisa@nisd.net... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
> lisa@nisd.net... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
>
> Obviously, it is attempting to connect to itself and since there is
> nothing on port 25 to answer, the attempt to mail fails.  If I run
> sendmail in the background, the message is delivered without a
> problem.
>
> On all my other unix boxes not running sendmail as a deamon the
> exchange looks like this:
> [root@monet named]# mail -v lisa@nisd.net
> Subject: jsdjf
> jsjsf
> skjf
> Cc:
> lisa@nisd.net... Connecting to orb.nisd.net. via esmtp...
> blah blah blah - the mail is delivered.
>
> The version 9 box appears to be choosing the "relay" mailer, while my
> other boxes use "esmtp".
>
> Has anybody else run into this?
>
> Thanks,
> ---Lisa&

Lisa on a wild guess from your description, you are running a stock
sendmail.mc/cf set. You can get details on how to create a more usable
set by reading the RH section of the FAQ or in your release notes.

0
gerry4653 (112)

How to send mail without sendmail running?
I'm positive that I've sent email from a Linux system before, WITHOUT sendmail running. When I tried to do this on a Fedora Core 1 box running sendmail 8.12, I could not send email to anyone on the localhost, or to an outside domain. Is there a way to configure sendmail so that it's not running, but will still allow sending email to external domains, other users on that host, mail from cron jobs, etc.? -Thanks Fred <itfred@cdw.com> writes: >I'm positive that I've sent email from a Linux system >before, WITHOUT sendmail running. When I tried to do >this on a Fedora Core 1 box running sendmail 8.12, I >could not send email to anyone on the localhost, or >to an outside domain. Is there a way to configure >sendmail so that it's not running, but will still >allow sending email to external domains, other users >on that host, mail from cron jobs, etc.? The best solution is to run a sendmail daemon listening *only* on 127.0.0.1 . That is probably the fedora default configuration. If you want it to run the old way, then chmod 4555 sendmail rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or rename to submit.cf.dist On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:29:27 +0000, Neil W Rickert wrote: > The best solution is to run a sendmail daemon listening > *only* on 127.0.0.1 . That is probably the fedora default > configuration. > > If you want it to run the old way, then > > chmod 4555 sendmail > rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or ...

Send mail without running sendmail
I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get an error stating "Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]" in maillog file. Can somebody advise how I can point to external SMTP server for mail sending? Thanks. Karan wrote: > I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine > (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. > > In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get > an error stating "Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]" in maillog file. > > Can somebody advise how I can point to external SMTP server for mail > sending? Thanks. You shall run sendmail services with the default configuration values, i.e., listening on address 127.0.0.1. Your sendmail.mc shall have : DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl Karan wrote: > I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine > (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. > > In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get > an error stating "Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]" in maillog file. > > Can somebody advise how I can point to external SMTP server for mail > sending? Thanks. IF you use sendmail-8.12+ THEN you can make submit.cf (second *.cf file added in sendmail...

send mail without running sendmail locally
Hi, I have 2 linux boxes, one of them running sendmail as MTA for my network, by using which we can send/receive mails to/fro internal/external mail IDs. Now, i want to send a mail from 2nd linux box (non-sendmail) to external domain mail Ids without running sendmail on it and rather, i want to use my sendmail server as RELAY. I configured my sendmail server to relay the 2nd linux box. Now, how can i send mail from 2nd linux box to outside world? Is there any command readily available or do i need to write any scripts for that? TIA Prvnrk Install sendmail, but don't allow it to start up at boot. You might also take smtp out of /etc/services The sendmail executable will be there for mail clients to use for e-mail transmission, but nothing will be listening on port 25 (for inbound). > I have 2 linux boxes, one of them running sendmail as MTA for my > network, by using which we can send/receive mails to/fro > internal/external mail IDs. Now, i want to send a mail from 2nd linux > box (non-sendmail) to external domain mail Ids without running sendmail > on it and rather, i want to use my sendmail server as RELAY. I > configured my sendmail server to relay the 2nd linux box. Now, how can > i send mail from 2nd linux box to outside world? Is there any command > readily available or do i need to write any scripts for that? In short, run Sendmail, or some similar MTA for the sole purpose of sending outbound emails on your behalf. If you want you ...

send mail without.. sendmail ?
It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon running? Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more than I can handle as a part time admin. Thanks, bl8n8r bad_knee <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote: > It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run > sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon > running? > > Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port > 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, > find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? > > I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more > than I can handle as a part time admin. To manually send, you can do sendmail -q sendmail -q15m and it will process queued emails, at once or every 15min, respectively. For incoming emails, you can run Sendmail from /etc/inetd.conf, every time an email arrives at port 25. -- William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> Linux solution for data management and processing. William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> wrote in message <snip> > To manually send, ...

Problem to send out the mails with SENDMAIL
Hi, am using RedHat 9 and sendmail. I can send mail to internal box of the same Linux station. a have problem to send mail out of office by using another smtp server of company wich is connected to internet. my DNS configuration work fine. I can ping my smtp server and connect to smtp port (all work fine) I think that a problem is around "sendmail.cf" or "sendmail.mc" The sendmail log file informe that the messages sended are queued. I am using command line to test (mail) you can find my configuration file bellow : can somone help me ? Thanks a lot for your help @ns +++++++++++++++++++++++ Linux station : serveur1.toto.com Smtp Server : mail.toto.com +++++++++++++++++++++++ ################################ # SENDMAIL.CF ################################ Cwlocalhost # file containing names of hosts for which we receive email Fw/etc/mail/local-host-names # my official domain name # ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain #Dj$w.Foo.COM Djserveur1.toto.com CP. # "Smart" relay host (may be null) #DS DSmail.toto.com ################################ # LOCAL-HOST-NAMES ################################ @toto.com ...

Problem sending mail via sendmail
Hello all, First off, please forgive me as I am not very familiar with sendmail, so my question may be worded poorly or the answer may be very obvious. I am setting up a new mail server running sendmail as the MTA. I am attempting to configure it so that anyone on our IP block can access it and send mail via SMTP without a username or password, and to reject mail from outside sources. Well, I can get it to reject mail, all right: everything comes back with this error: An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 <matt.singerman@gmail.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [141.161.111.116]. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again. (This is the error that Thunderbird gave me when trying to send a message.) Where can I configure sendmail to allow messages coming from a specific ip range, in this case 141.161.x.x? Or is this something I would have to configure in a system file (I am running FreeBSD)? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt Aha. Okay, so I found that using /etc/mail/relay-domains and putting in just 141.161. works. However, is this really the best way to do this? I'm not really all that familiar with sednmail and whatnot, but should I be "relaying" mail coming from addresses on my own network? I mean, hey, it works, but it just doesn't seem like the way things are supposed to work. "Matt Singerman" <matt.s...

Problem sending mail with sendmail and php
When i send mail using mail() in php i receive from my external smtp server a message such that: Sep 3 17:30:15 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[898]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[yyyyyyyy]: 450 <apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it> to=<marco.pppppppppppppp@xxxxxxx.it> proto=ESMTP helo=<apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it> Where zzzzzzzzzz is name of the Linux machine uuu.hhh.it is the domain I need that sender is someone@uuu.hhh.it and not apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it Do you know where must i change this parameter of configuration? Well, this a php problem. Sendmail sends mail, that's all. I use a little function so send: function SendEmail ( $Address, $Title, $Body, $Extra = "" ) { $Headers = "From: PHP AutoMailer <no-reply@mycompany.co.nz>\r\nX-Mailer: PHP/" . phpversion(); if ( $Extra != "" ) { $Headers .= "\r\n" . $Extra; } $Return = mail ( $Address, $Title, wordwrap ($Body, 70 ), $Headers ); } Then you've set up the from: address properly. On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:50:13 -0700, bertainafederico wrote: > When i send mail using mail() in php i receive from my external smtp > server a message such that: > > Sep 3 17:30:15 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[898]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from > unknown[yyyyyyyy]: 450 <apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it>: ...

sendmail 8.14.1 send mail authorization problem
I've got problem with sending mail via sendmail 8.14.1 on Fedora. Normaly I can send email to any server from access list, but I want to send it to all servers using send mail authorization. I put this lines to sendmail.mc: TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl also: TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl As I said without this lines I can send emails to servers from access list. With this lines I cannot send anything. During authorization (with this linev above) server requests for password, I use the same as for reading mail via pop3, unfortunately it doesn't work, even if I try to send email to myself. There is no info in logs :( m4, makemap and restart works.. cyrus-sasl is installed. I've tried to put into /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf this lines: pwcheck_method:saslauthd pwcheck_method:pam pwcheck_method:shadow pwcheck_method:passwd and nothing. /etc/pam.d/smtp looks like this: #%PAM-1.0 auth include system-auth account include system-auth telnet shows:: telnet localhost 25 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. 220 x.pl ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1; Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:43:30 +0200 ehlo localhost 250-x.pl Hello x.pl [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250...

Problems Getting sendmail to require a user+pass for sending mail
Hi, I'm trying to set up a yellow dog 3 (red hat based) machine such that I can send mail via it, but that to do so requires a user/pass. Using the stock setup, I added my ip address to the access.db file & could send fine, so I know that works. I then removed my ip from the access file & followed the instructions here: http://www.joreybump.com/code/howto/smtpauth.html To try & set up authorisation via SSL, but am having some difficulty. Clients are outlook 2003 - if I set the clients to authenticate to the SMTP server, but not use SSL, I get the error 'relaying not permitted, proper authentication required'. If I then tell outlook to use SSL, and try to send mail, the connection times out & says 'your SMTP server does not support SSL.' If I look in the maillog at this point, the only entry is: x.x.x.x did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA I have telnetted to 'localhost 25' on the server, and if I do 'ehlo localhost' I get: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250-DSN 250-ETRN 250-STARTTLS 250-DELIVERBY 250 HELP If I then ru 'starttls' I get: 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS However when I then run 'ehlo localhost' again I get: connection closed by foreign host In the maillog following this telnet session I got the following messages: Dec 11 20:55:21 m064 sendmail[4383]: hBBKshxv004383: localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN dur...

Getting local mail delivery to work without having sendmail running
Greetings. I have two sets of box's. One is a RH 7.0 Box and another is a 8.0 box. Before anyone knocks the box's we are in the process of rolling everything out to Suse Enterprise Linux. Now, we do not run sendmail on the box's. We normally change the submit.cf DS line to forward mail to an postfix mail gateway we have. My question is how can I get local mail delivery to work if sendmail isnt running? I would like to be able to do "mail root" and have that read roots .forward file and mail out to whatever email addy is in that file. The RH7.0 box's work fine with this, email to root@localhost goes to my addy, so its reading the .forward file and sending out. I cannot get this to work on the RH 8 box's. Obviously I know little about sendmail, normally I would use postfix but I can't take the time to make such a change. Is there anything I can do to get this to work/? Outgoing email addressed to anything other than the localhost works fine on the RH8 boxs. Its just that for local mail it is expecting sendmail to be running on 127.0.0.1, it isnt and it bombs out. I dont know if I have to set up a option to do local mail delivery, or an option to get sendmail to use the .forward file. I know this is possible as it works on the RH7 box's which are running RH7 = Sendmail 8.11.0-8 RH8 = Sendmail 8.12.5-7 JC wrote: > Greetings. > > I have two sets of box's. One is a RH 7.0 Box and another is a 8.0 > box. >...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

Problems with mailman-2.1.4 sending mail using sendmail
Hi All, I am trying to get mailman 2.1.4 to run on HPUX with sendmail and am running into problems. I have the web interface working correctly but I am unable to post mail to a test group :( I created a test group using the newlist command. I did receive an e-mail confirming the creation of the list. Next I subscribed to the list (using the web interface) This worked correctly ( I received an e-mail to that effect) I confirmed (again another e-mail) and was listed as a member of the list. I next sent a e-mail and it bounced ( communication failure) checking the mail.log file I found this entry from /var/adm/syslog/mail.log Feb 10 07:09:28 cyhpr365 sendmail[24811]: HAA24811: from=<me@ugsplm.com>, size=778, class=0, pri=30778, nrcpts=1, msgid=<sssF@cypntx3.net.plm.eds.com>, proto=ESMTP, relay=usslmgate001.ugsplm.com [134.244.32.20] (may be forged) Feb 10 07:09:28 cyhpr365 sendmail[24812]: HAA24811: alias <me@support.plms-eds.com> => "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test" Feb 10 07:09:28 cyhpr365 Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail Feb 10 07:09:28 cyhpr365 sendmail[24812]: HAA24811: to="|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test", delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, stat=unknown mailer error 2 Hmn! I checked the FAQ and found an entry under Document contains no data. It talks about the GID problems and a way to fix them. Well, I checked the mail.log file (see above) and it is no...

Sendmail cannot send my mail
I am on a typical home user setup (dialup connection, SMTP server listens on exotic port 25000 and I need to enter a password to connect to the server). The various mailers I have used - outlook, outlook express, mozilla mail - have no problems sending my mail successfully. But when I try to use sendmail all I get is something like: Nov 22 18:56:51 turki sendmail[28724]: iAL4OmF22670: to=cga2001@eml.cc, ctladdr=gavron (500/500), delay=1+19:32:03, xdelay=00:00:10, mailer=relay, pri=815114, relay=b.mx.mailbarn.net. [66.54.152.36], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Defer red: Connection refused by b.mx.mailbarn.net. sendmail proceeds to recycle the mail for the following five days without success. I have read the FAQs, made countless changes to the sendmail.mc file, cycled sendmail at least a hundred times over the last couple of months to no avail. Since on average successfully setting up a mail account in one of the above mailers takes under two minutes, I am beginning to suspect that there is a bug in the version of sendmail I am running - sendmail version 8.11.4 release 3 as generated by Redhat 7.2 from an rpm. Is there a short howto describing what the average home user on a dialup connection should do to make sendmail connect to the outside world? I was thinking of using this as a checklist to make sure I am not leaving out anything. If no such document exists could anyone direct me to sample configuration files that are known to work in this type of setup with this particular versi...

sendmail for only sending mail
hello, i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: # /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com .... Type in message using headers etc .. and that's it, the message would be sent. however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "." does not send the message nor does ^D, nothing. i can't find in sendmail.cf a mention of "termination symbol". any ideas? (i thought it might be related to some terminate symbol, so i tried: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -messagefile=msg.txt which should send message from a file, but still, i get std input waiting for input, and unable to terminate except for ^C.) i am using the fedora distribution by the way. thanks. In article <4100396a-486b-4d25-b2e7-8fcb753a8c63@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com> jack.monflower@gmail.com writes: >hello, >i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... >nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) >so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: > ># /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com >... Type in message using headers etc >. > >and that's it, the message would be sent. >however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail >terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "...

Sending mail with mail() without header
Hi, I'm working on a website where there is a from from which I want to send the data by e-mail. When I send myself the result with mail($my_email, $title, $message) everything works fine and I receive a plain text email. However, the people for which I'm doing the site receive some kind of error when I do the same thing but delivered to them > mail($their_email, $title, $message) The error looks something like this: Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients: Recipient address: services@theirdomain.com Reason: Illegal host/domain name found I also used something like this in the script to make it work when sending it to myself: ini_set('SMTP', 'mail.theirdomain.com'); ini_set('sendmail_from', 'services@theirdomain.com'); Is it the fact that I send this email in plain text with no headers that could trigger some sort of spam filtering? If so, what headers should I be using? Thanks in advance > Hi, > > I'm working on a website where there is a from from which I want to > send the data by e-mail. > > When I send myself the result with mail($my_email, $title, $message) > everything works fine and I receive a plain text email. However, the > people for which I'm doing the site receive some kind of error when I > do the same thing but delivered to them > mail($their_email, $title, > $message) > > The error looks something like this: > > Your mess...

Newbie Question
Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host. We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the following error : # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Our sendmail version is 8.13.4. Any idea how we can trouble shoot this ? Thanks, Bill In article <1161970635.838296.15020@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote: > Can we send email...

Sendmail sending user@domain.com to my local machine instead of my mail server.
Hi All I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. It works when I send out mails to username@gmail.com or username@yahoo.com, etc. But when I send out mails to username@abc.com, the mails get sent to itself, i.e. machine A1. And the maillog shows that the Local mailer was called to send the mail instead of the ESMTP mailer. I have other Freebsd machines, and have no problem sending mails to username@abc.com. I've tried everything, including copying all the files in /etc/mail from my other working Freebsd machines to machine A1, and do a make, make install, make restart. But machine A1 still calls the local mailer to deliver mails addressed to @abc.com. Machine A1 is acting as if it is the mail server for the domain. I don't have local-domains, local-host-names, files, etc. I just use the original sendmail.com.mc file. Can anybody help? Thank you very much in anticipation. Gui cmgui2@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All > > I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. > I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails > occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server > for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. > > It...

How to prevent local user daemon for sending mails with Sendmail configured as SMTP authentication.
Hello: We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine till I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from daemon@localdomain. Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Jul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20004]: n62EcQgB020004: from=<daemon@190877-dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, size=567, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200907021438.n62EcQPx020001@190877- dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1] How can I block this user from sending mails locally. Please help. -- thanks, Navdeep "nippy" <nav842003@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3bb6901f-51c2-4e00-97c2-df1ef3e209c5@z34g2000vbl.googlegroups.com... > Hello: > We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with > virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine > till > I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our > sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from > daemon@localdomain. > > Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: > > ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, > relay=[127.0.0...

Problem sending external mail (RedHat AS3.0/Sendmail 8.12.11)
I have what must be a very simple configuration error, but not being a sendmail expert, I can't seem find it. The system is a new RedHat AS v3.0 which runs sendmail 8.12.11. I am using a generic sendmail.mc file, although I did comment out the following line, as per instructions: dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl which resulted in incoming mail starting to flow. I haven't fooled with any of the other configuration files in /etc/mail. I can receive external (incoming) mail just fine, and I can send mail to local users just fine too. But I cannot send ANY external mail, as I always receive errors of the following form: Aug 11 12:43:15 spoken sendmail[16956]: i7BGhFMs016956: from=test1, size=43, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200408111643.i7BGhFMs016956@localhost.localdomain>, relay=test1@localhost Aug 11 12:43:15 spoken sendmail[16958]: i7BGhFQD016958: <seth@speech.mit.edu>... User unknown Aug 11 12:43:15 spoken sendmail[16956]: i7BGhFMs016956: to=seth@speech.mit.edu, ctladdr=test1 (500/501), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30043, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=5.1.1, stat=User unknown Aug 11 12:43:15 spoken sendmail[16958]: i7BGhFQD016958: from=<test1@localhost.localdoma in>, size=43, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=spoken [127.0.0.1] Similarly, a Squirrel mail user (connecting to this host via spoken.mit.edu/webmail) trying to send external mail receives the somewh...

mails sent by sendmail were treated as junk mail
Hi there, I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure it to work as my main mailserver which allow POP3 and SMTP connection from outside. My problem is that I cannot send out any mails which appears like sender: xxx@mydomain.com. If I send mail through terminal, my sent-out mail would looks like aaa@hostname.mydomain.com instead of aaa@mydomain.com. hostnam.mydomain.com is a qualified name of my linux box runing sendmail. Second, I configured a openwebmail on this linux box to allow users login from anywhere to manager their mails, and it works fine. However, all the out-going mails sent throug openwebmail are treated as junk mail by most mail server like hotmail and yahoo. It was complained as unknown sender(at this case, sender appears aaa@mydomain.com) Does anyone have any experience in such situation or have any ideas how to configure sendmail to solve my problems? My network setting is simply as router -> DMZ zone -> linux box which is runing sendmail. I have a domain, mydomain.com, which is parking at a domain hosting company where my zone file is actually located. I changed the MX record in the zone file so that it points to my static ip address(eg. 10.11.12.113). After some simple changes were done, I can receive any emails sent to my domain, like xxx@mydomain.com. Thanks for any ideas! In article <d57b272d.0405151235.19d0384b@posting.google.com> vbcache@hotmail.com (cerberus) writes: > >I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure ...

sending mail without the mail client popping up
hi! I was wondering how I could send a mail without the mail client popping up to the user. I would like a mail to be sent to myself when someone's pushing a button on my homepage. Any ideas? obscurr "Obscurr" <obscurr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4452c409.0310310428.bfa6c2f@posting.google.com... > hi! > > I was wondering how I could send a mail without the mail client > popping up to the user. > I would like a mail to be sent to myself when someone's pushing a > button on my homepage. Any ideas? > > obscurr See php.net: mail(); Regards Richard Grove http://redeyemedia.co.uk http://shopbuilder.org http://musicshopper.co.uk "Obscurr" <obscurr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4452c409.0310310428.bfa6c2f@posting.google.com... > hi! > > I was wondering how I could send a mail without the mail client > popping up to the user. > I would like a mail to be sent to myself when someone's pushing a > button on my homepage. Any ideas? > > obscurr Hi! Try the mail() function. It will do what you are asking: http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php HTH - JM ...

Web resources about - problem sending mail from machine without running sendmail as a daemon - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...