Problem with mails from mailing lists

The details:

A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian
unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is
also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and
fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server.

The config files:

/etc/mail/sendmail.mc

define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy
Exp $')
OSTYPE(`debian')dnl
DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl
LOCAL_CONFIG
FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
FEATURE(`genericstable',`hash /etc/mail/genericstable.db')dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN(`domain.com')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl
FEATURE(`redirect')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',
`authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`domaintable', `hash -o /etc/mail/domaintable.db')dnl
Cwserver.domain.com
MASQUERADE_AS(`domain.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`domain.com')dnl
define(`confSEPARATE_PROC', `True')dnl
define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `12')dnl
define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE',20000000)dnl
MAILER_DEFINITIONS
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

/etc/mail/virtusertable

@domain.com	domain+%1

/etc/mail/local-host-names

domain.com
server.domain.com

/etc/procmailrc:

DROPPRIVS=yes

:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamc

All other sendmail config files (genericstable, mailertable and
domaintable) are empty.

The problem:

Mails from mailing lists are not being handled properly. For some
reason they end up in the administrators mailbox with both the from
and to addresses being listed as the sending party. For example, I get
a mail from mailinglist@somewhere.com and the to address is also being
on mails from mailing lists. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to read this. Any help and
advice gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Matthew

Mail 2.1, two PBG4s, synchronizing mail and mail problems
Here's the sitch: PBG4 w/broken screen, running an external (duh) Samsung monitor. This is my shop PB, it's currently masquerading as an immobile desktop. PBG4 all fixy-fix. Mostly keep at home, but also on the road. LaCie 320GB external Firewire drive. backup at shop (used Migration Assistant to copy the shop PB's system (10.4.7), apps, and docs to the FireWire drive) Two mail accounts -- one on each PB -- both of which accounts dump into Mail 2.1, on both PBs. With me so far? *I'm* already lost... Problem one: Is there a way -- besides signing up with .Mac -- that I can synchronize the mail on both machines? Failing that, is there a way -- besides doing it message-by-message -- to save the text and attachments from new mail messages? Problem two: Though by all means I can understand, both PBs are set up exactly the same way and certainly the mail prefs are the same, when I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at home, it opens Firefox to the correct page, just like it ought to do, but if I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at the shop, the mail window flashes once, but nothing opens. Both PBs are set up with Firefox as the default browser. What in the ding-dong am I doing wrong? Thanks! Bart Brown ...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM ...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM "FabienM" <FabienM@badadress.fr> writes: > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom of the screen and none of the body content should be visible any more. When you're done, double-click on it again. Or drag it instead of double-clicking on it. -- Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed. No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html Are you posting responses that are easy for others to follow? http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting > > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... > > double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages > from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom > of the screen and none of the body content should be visible > any more. fabulous !!! it's crazy how a double-click can save your life... :) t...

Continued mail server problems for all PGSQL mailing lists I'm on
I'm actually getting the mailing list mail, so I don't know what the deal is. Successful deliveries are coming from 64.117.225.209. But 207.173.200.206 has big problems. Sendmail is misconfigured in at least two ways. DNS is not even configured at all for reverse DNS. I can't whitelist the sender email addresses because spammers already use them. I can't whitelist the IP address because you guys keep changing them. I can't whitelist the server domain because the reverse DNS isn't set up yet (it takes me less than 5 minutes to set that up). I'm sure the list operators are experts in PostgreSQL. I'm not. But at least I don't pretend to be. Maybe you should ask some experts in running mailing lists, mail servers, and DNS servers, to give you a hand. -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- | Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ | | (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Phil Howard wrote: > I'm actually getting the mailing list mail, so I don't know what the > deal is. Successful deliveries are coming from 64.117.225.209. But > 207.173.200.206 has big problems. 207.1...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? On 04/29/10 07:32, joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. You are welcome. > That solve half my problem. :-| > This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this > setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? If I understand you correctly (which it is entirely possible that I'm mis-understanding you) you are wanting to have a way to protect a subset of your local aliases. Correct? (Presuming yes.) I don't think there is a way for Sendmail to break the alias list in to multiple pieces. Even if you could, what would that gain you? Sendmail will still have to check each recipient if it is protected or not. Grant. . . . joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found > > http://www.sendmail...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ > How to do that? If everything else fails: - delete mail - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail On 18 Aug 2005, Holger Marzen wrote: > * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > >> I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ >> How to do that? > > If everything else fails: > > - delete mail > - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail What Holger wrote should work, but it's cleaner to change where Pine looks for mailboxes. I discuss this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more >...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to ".mail/". Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". > Change "mail/" to ".mail/". This is great! Thanks Eduardo!! I'll never change from Pine. That's for sure. > http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I would like to change my email when using mailinglists. The only thing Pine now needs is a way to use PGP/GPG as attachments...=) Hugs, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any :) effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I :) would like to change my email w...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only :) one such directory? Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, if so remove it. It is possible that this may break other applications (e.g. Mutt). Hopefully it won't. Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: > > :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems > :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both > :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is > :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only > :) one such directory? Eduardo Chappa wrote: > Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, No. The directories are not...

Problem with mail.app not finding mail
I'm using Mail 4.1 on 10.6.1, and my wife is using Mail 2.1.3 on 10.4.11, so there's not an exact convergence. I have mine set up to get mail from our web host, and it works fine. I have Louise's set up to get mail from our Web host, and it doesn't work. My problem is that I have no clue how to diagnose the problem - which end it's on. As far as I can tell, I set both accounts up the same on our Web host (an external service, not run by us), and I've set both mail.app accounts up the same. How do I troubleshoot this? In article <231020091035146216%ralph@whitehous...

Why is SpamWatch is junking my mail from a mailing list?
Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Along the same lines, is there any way to create a log file of what filters cause a message to do what it does? Ideally, there would be a record of the message Sender, Subject and what rule(s) it fired. Thanks, Jay Shilstone James Shilstone <shilstone.jay@shilstone.com> wrote: > Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam > scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe > to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to > the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that > list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the > messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at > 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I > can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Does you ISP do any spam filtering that puts x-header...

Save mail to mailing list mailbox?
Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with the name of the mailing list? Thanks. Dave Feustel dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: > Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with > the name of the mailing list? I use fcc-save-hooks for this, one for each mailing list, e.g., fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-dev"' +Lists/mutt-dev fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-users"' +Lists/mutt-users -- Gary Johnson Gary Johnson <garyjohn@eskimo.com> wrote: > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: >>...

Mail list program request-- where can I find a mail list with these features?
For a group mail list, I'm looking for the following features-- a combination of features I've not found in search engine listings: 1.) Freeware 2.) Runs on Windows 98 plus newer versions 3.) Installs to and runs on a bootable cd rom 4.) Writes transportable comma delimited email file to floppy disk or cdrw for update or retrieval to common mail progs such at Outlook, Eudora or Thunderbird.. List can be sent as an attachment to load into Outlook Express or Thunderbird. ...

sendmail simple mailing list problem
I have set up sendmail to use my ISP's outgoing mail server as a relay for mail from my server using the instructions I found here http://www.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/articles/mailsetup/article.html I use dyndns so that everyone can find myserver (as myserver.dyndns.net). I can send and receive mail on my server. I am also using a simple mailing list with about 15 subscribers that I set up using a mail alias (i.e. with the line 'mylist: : include:/usr/home/me/lists/mylist.txt') I can send mail to anyone on the list by sending mail to mylist@myserver.dyndns.net from any of my email accounts and from my account at my ISP (call it myaccount@myISP.com). Other users have also successfully sent mail to the list. However, a subset of the users also use my ISP and their mail to the list gets bounced by the ISP server. The error message in the bounced email is 553 You are not authorized to send mail as <otheruser@myisp.com> 501 5.6.0 Data format error So <myaccount@myisp.com> and <myotheraccount@mywork.com> can send mail to the list but not <otheruser@myisp.com>. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks Alan Alan Curtis wrote: > So <myaccount@myisp.com> and <myotheraccount@mywork.com> can send mail > to the list but not <otheruser@myisp.com>. > Any suggestions on how to fix this? Would it be an option to set up the mailinglist in the traditional not-just-a-single-alias style, in particular, rewriting the enve...

[merc32] no welcome/farewell-mail on mailing list?
heyas! is there a trick i dont know yet? i did set the welcome/farewell files (just copied the sample-standard files for testing). when i hit the edit button, the file pops up (so its the correct file)... but when i subscribe (subscription works too, im list member after it) there is no welcome message =( no error message on mercury, but also not efen an attemtp to send any mail out ;/ any ideas? thx tobi ...

Mail redirect before new mail arrives problem
Dont know if this has anything to do with the fact that we are running Lotus Notes Domino 5.0.12 on Linux BUT I have a problem with mail redirection. I have created a agent in my mailfile (on server) - shared agent - runs 'before new mail arrives - simple action to send mail (including copy of document) to another user in the address book. This works fine on most of our servers but there are a couple of exceptions. Here is what happens when you watch the Domino console when a new email arrives for this user 06/26/2003 11:00:01 AM Router: The New Mail Agent in mail/sthor...

Mail:Sender

Please unregister this mail-address out of mailing-list.
Dear Python Staff, I am writing this letter to unsubscribe this mail-address from python mail-list. One problem is that this python community is so active that I always lost myself to find my business emails. So, I want to quit this mail-address from you, and want to set up a specific mail-box to receive all python mails. Since could find a way to unsubscribe the mails, I need to write this letter to you. Please help. BTW, python is indeed great, thank you all for any supports. Hank. ...

Web resources about - Problem with mails from mailing lists - comp.mail.sendmail

INNOVATION INSIGHTS: How this Australian startup is trying to solve a problem for millions every day ...
If you’ve ever found yourself desperately trying to find city parking, you’re not alone. The problem of sourcing parking, especially in central ...

'Give us a chance' on football's drug problem says AFL Players Association CEO Paul Marsh
... football's players' union says reporting of failed hair tests at Collingwood has set back efforts to deal with the sport's illicit drugs problem. ...

No Law Degree? No Problem! Sarah Palin To Preside Over Reality TV Court
Sarah Palin will tell you about a crazy legal theory called rootin’-tootin’ res ipsa loquitur.

Martin Sorrell to 4A's Gathering: 'There Is A Problem' With Gender, Diversity
... J. Walter Thompson's former CEO Gustavo Martinez resigned for alleged sexist and racist remarks, WPP CEO Martin Sorrell said "there is a problem" ...

Apple pulls iOS 9.3 update for older devices following activation problems
The iPhone 4S and other older iDevices could be affected by this problem. (credit: Andrew Cunningham) Apple has temporarily pulled the iOS 9.3 ...

Apple Has Problems with Its Cloud Infrastructure, Says The Information
... ) Google division for some cloud computing infrastructure, The Information ’s Amir Efrati and Steve Nellis today write that Apple has a problem ...

WaPo seems surprised that people regard yoga in school as an Establishment Clause problem.
The headline is: "Ga. parents, offended by the ‘Far East religion’ of yoga, get ‘Namaste’ banned from school." In my opinion, it's cultural ...

The woman problem
The woman problem by digby You've undoubtedly heard by now about Trump criticizing Heidi Cruz's looks and Ted calling him a sniveling coward ...

Mazda has 1 big problem — and 1 huge advantage
Mazda is one of those interesting small car brands in the US market: small but highly regarded. It has a very strong brand identity as a sort ...