Read error (error during smtp negotiation)

I have a message stuck in my outgoing mail queue (sendmail 8.13.0) with the
following error in my maillog:
# Oct 19 00:08:12 example sm-mta[52760]: i9IIrxgh011262: timeout waiting for
input from smtp2.otherhost.example.net. during client greeting
# Oct 19 00:08:27 example sm-mta[52760]: i9IIrxgh011262: timeout waiting for
input from smtp3.otherhost.example.net. during client greeting
# Oct 19 00:08:27 example sm-mta[52760]: i9IIrxgh011262:
to=<aaaaaa@otherhost.example.net>,
ctladdr=<www@example.org> (80/80), delay=09:14:26, xdelay=00:00:30,
mailer=esmtp, pri=1771733, relay=smtp3.otherhost.example.net.
[207.162.160.15], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation timed out
with smtp3.otherhost.example.net.

Is the error on my end (e.g. perhaps not waiting long enough for the
transaction to begin) or on the recipient's end?  The mail has been in the
queue for two days and the queue is running regularly, so there have been
repeated attempts.  I do not recall having seen this error before.

--
  Robert Delius Royar       The email address is valid as it is written.

r royar <royar-nomail@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.OSX.4.61.0410200504410.13547@teraqny.sevanohynk.bet>...
> I have a message stuck in my outgoing mail queue (sendmail 8.13.0) with the
> following error in my maillog:
> # Oct 19 00:08:27 example sm-mta[52760]: i9IIrxgh011262:
> to=<aaaaaa@otherhost.example.net>,
> ctladdr=<www@example.org> (80/80), delay=09:14:26, xdelay=00:00:30,
> mailer=esmtp, pri=1771733, relay=smtp3.otherhost.example.net.
> [207.162.160.15], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation timed out
> with smtp3.otherhost.example.net.
>
> Is the error on my end (e.g. perhaps not waiting long enough for the
> transaction to begin) or on the recipient's end?  The mail has been in the
> queue for two days and the queue is running regularly, so there have been
> repeated attempts.  I do not recall having seen this error before.

It is possible that the problem is on your end (not waiting long
enough).  Looking through my logs, I see that vci.net seems to have
their 8.13.1 configured with a fairly long delay to detect broken
spamware not waiting for their 220.  Typeahead on manual SMTP will
get you, for example:
   554 smtp3.vci.net ESMTP not accepting messages
while being patient yields:
   220 smtp3.vci.net ESMTP ...

You can try telnet yourself to see what happens.

Hope this clarifies,

Len
0
abuse381 (58)
10/20/2004 9:44:28 PM
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 (14:44 -0700 UTC) abuse@sony.com wrote:

> r royar <royar-nomail@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.OSX.4.61.0410200504410.13547@teraqny.sevanohynk.bet>...
>> I have a message stuck in my outgoing mail queue (sendmail 8.13.0) with the
>> following error in my maillog:
>> # Oct 19 00:08:27 example sm-mta[52760]: i9IIrxgh011262:
>> to=<aaaaaa@otherhost.example.net>,
>> ctladdr=<www@example.org> (80/80), delay=09:14:26, xdelay=00:00:30,
>> mailer=esmtp, pri=1771733, relay=smtp3.otherhost.example.net.
>> [207.162.160.15], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation timed out
>> with smtp3.otherhost.example.net.
>>
>> Is the error on my end (e.g. perhaps not waiting long enough for the
>> transaction to begin) or on the recipient's end?  The mail has been in the
>> queue for two days and the queue is running regularly, so there have been
>> repeated attempts.  I do not recall having seen this error before.
>
> It is possible that the problem is on your end (not waiting long
> enough).  Looking through my logs, I see that vci.net seems to have
> their 8.13.1 configured with a fairly long delay to detect broken
> spamware not waiting for their 220.  Typeahead on manual SMTP will
> get you, for example:
>   554 smtp3.vci.net ESMTP not accepting messages
> while being patient yields:
>   220 smtp3.vci.net ESMTP ...
>
> You can try telnet yourself to see what happens.
>
> Hope this clarifies,
>
> Len

What value might I change (and in which .mc file) to make my sendmail more
patient in sending its data?  I have sendmail.mc set to use greet pause
values when it is receiving incoming messages, but I haven't made any
changes to the submit.mc from stock values (except certificate info).  I am
still a bit foggy on what config file runs which times.  I suppose in this
instance my sendmail is the client and would be submitting a message?
Sorry for being dense.

--

r royar <royar-nomail@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.OSX.4.61.0410201845270.8866@teraqny.sevanohynk.bet>...

> What value might I change (and in which .mc file) to make my sendmail more
> patient in sending its data?  I have sendmail.mc set to use greet pause
> values when it is receiving incoming messages, but I haven't made any
> changes to the submit.mc from stock values (except certificate info).  I am
> still a bit foggy on what config file runs which times.  I suppose in this
> instance my sendmail is the client and would be submitting a message?
> Sorry for being dense.

Try running one message from your queue with something like
  /path/to/sendmail -v -O Timeout.connect=5m -qIxxxxxxxx
where xxxxxxx is the queie ID for one of the pending messages.

That timeout is the normal default, but it is long enough for
me to send to them.  Possibly you might want to try at 10
minutes to be really safe.  If that gives you joy, then you
can find out what you changed in your .mc for the MTA.  You
really  shouldn't have to do things to submit.mc, except in
rather unusual cases.  By the way, submit.mc applies in the
cases where the Mail Submission Protocol is in use, not to
SMTP cases.

Hope this helps,

Len
0
abuse381 (58)

When is an error not an error?
The Java language specification claims in: 8.8.7.1 Explicit Constructor Invocations .... "If an anonymous class instance creation expression appears within an explicit constructor invocation statement, then the anonymous class may not refer to any of the enclosing instances of the class whose constructor is being invoked." Helpfully it gives an example: "For example: class Top { int x; class Dummy { Dummy(Object o) {} } class Inside extends Dummy { Inside() { super(new Object() { int r = x; }); // err...

error or not an error ...
I was just testing out the R4 REXX thingy, and it found an error in the following program. My question is this, is it an error or not? My PC/REXX and Regina don't barf on it, but I thought they should've. _____________________________________________ /**/ ?.='' ?.z='batman' trace i if ?.z\==''then do; say '?.z=' ?.z; end ______________________________________________ Note that there is space before the THEN. I'm not sure of the exact rules for parsing an IF statement, I know that THEN is a "reserved" keyword when an IF statement is...

When is an error not an error?
When it's OSS slopware, of course. http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Knode_send_error.png On 2006-09-12 02:42, * DFS wrote: > When it's OSS slopware, of course. > > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Knode_send_error.png > Well, some time ago I had a problem with OE - too long reference line to other posts, and OE of course refused to send... then crashed. Should I name it a feature? -- Andrea On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 03:25:29 +0200, Andrea wrote: > On 2006-09-12 02:42, * DFS wrote: >> When it's OSS slopware, of course. >> >> http:/...

Read error; How to trace the error further?
Hej People since some few weeks my ssh connections suddenly break. It occurs randomly but never while typing. I feel it happens mostly while executing some build commands or when leaving the prompt alone for some time. The box is freebsd 6.0. I put on the maximum debugging mode within my sshd_conf but still only get some very surficial output: Jun 26 16:49:11 warbox sshd[46752]: debug1: do_cleanup Jun 26 16:49:11 warbox sshd[46755]: Read error from remote host 87.36.218.85: Operation timed out Jun 26 16:49:11 warbox sshd[46755]: debug1: do_cleanup Jun 26 16:49:11 warbox sshd[46755]: debug1: ...

Error Code :17410 Error State :null Error Message :No more data to read from socket Stack Trace : java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket
Hi, I see the following errors in the logs: Error Code :17410 Error State :null Error Message :No more data to read from socket Stack Trace : java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:114) at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:156) at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:803) at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.MAREngine.unmarshalUB1(MAREngine.java:731) at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.MAREngine.unmarshalSB1(MAREngine.java:690) at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.Oall7.receive(Oall7.java:372) at oracle.jdbc.ttc7...

smtp error message solved (was Re: smtp error message)
I just discovered the meaning of a mysterious error code; or at least one possible meaning. The problem was that an smtp mail message didn't get sent out from one system I administer to another system I administer, and that messages between them worked fine earlier, and there was no config change. The sending system is DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 - ECO 1 on a AlphaStation 255/300 running OpenVMS V7.1-2 The receiving system is HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.4 - ECO 1 on a Digital Personal WorkStation running OpenVMS V7.3-2 The UCX SMT...

error with smtp send_message: can't read "aprops(error)": no such element in array
can't read "aprops(error)": no such element in array I get the above error at one clients site when sending a message using smtp::send_message. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This appears to be an intermittent bug with the smtp package. Does anybody have any ideas how to work around it? "Peter Campbell" <pc@acs.co.nz> writes: >can't read "aprops(error)": no such element in array > >I get the above error at one clients site when sending a message using >smtp::send_message. >Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn&#...

Objc Nubie: Errors Errors Errors
I've been toying with learning ObjC/Cocoa for sometime and finally got over the hump of "brackets vs. braces" but am wondering why my little test throws so many warnings when run: // gcc FileTest.m -o FileTest -ObjC -framework Cocoa #include <Cocoa/Cocoa.h> #include <Foundation/Foundation.h> int main( void ) { NSString * str = [ [NSStringalloc] initWithString:@"~/samplefromcocoa.txt" ]; NSString * full = [ NSString stringWithString: [str stringByExpandingTildeInPath ] ]; if( [ [NSFileManager defaultManager] fileExistsAtP...

sendmail error data format error
dear sir, when i send mails from my mail server i got the following error from /var/log/maillog Dec 16 12:33:39 plain sendmail[2593]: grew WorkList for /var/spool/mqueue to 2000 Dec 16 12:33:40 plain sendmail[2593]: grew WorkList for /var/spool/mqueue to 3000 Dec 16 12:33:40 plain sendmail[2593]: grew WorkList for /var/spool/mqueue to 4000 Dec 16 12:33:40 plain sendmail[2593]: h9OLCdx13158: to=<kanwarjitsingh@isaicai.org>, delay=52+20:21:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=cyrus, pri=166900, dsn=5.6.0, stat=Data format error Dec 16 12:33:40 plain sendmail[2593]: h9OLCdx131...

sendmail SMTP error
I receive the following error: ??? Error using ==> sendmail (sendSMTP) SMTP error Error in ==> C:\MATLAB6p5\toolbox\matlab\iofun\sendmail.m On line 124 ==> sendSMTP(out, in, ['RCPT TO: ' to], 1); I'm using IIS virtual SMTP server on 2000 server. I see that the SMPT server is found % Message acknowledging the SMTP server is alive [status, code] = okSMTP(readmsg(in)); --> returns status of 1 (code 220) Thanks in advance ...

SMTP mail error
I am getting this error after approx. 10 -15 minutes of no mail being sent thru this system. What I found was that if I go to the server that is initiating the traffic(mail) I type telnet mailhost.***.com 25 and get: telnet mailhost.***.com 25 Trying... Connected to mailhost.***.com. Escape character is '^]'. Connection closed. If we re-run the same command immediately after that we get : telnet mailhost.***.com 25 Trying... Connected to mailhost.***.com. Escape character is '^]'. 220 kch1xv01.***.com Trend Micro InterScan Messaging Security Suite, Version: 5.5 ready at Thu...

Error Directing BCP In Errors to error file
Greetings, I am trying to bcp in data to a table which is in different server. Though the bcp in works fine but the error file is not being created and rejected records are not being directyd to the error file. Query looks like: bcp <db>..test_b_plan_cp in /home/file_out.txt -c -t '|' -S *****-U ****** -P ******-I /home/bcp2db_sql.ini -e /home/bcp2db.error. Can someone please help? TIA. Regards, Rajpreet ...

error C2106: error C2057 :error C3304:
I have faced intrinsic errors "error C2106 / error C2057 / error C3304" in Visual studio 2008. Though the source files have included with header files like "math.h" and "ctype.h", compilation gives error as given below. 2>c:\apps\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\string.h(48) : error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value 2>c:\apps\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\string.h(48) : error C2057: expected constant expression 2>c:\apps\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\string.h(48) : error C3304: 'PreAttribute': at...

(assert-error) tests errors and error messages
I wrote (assert-error) to make sure that a function generates an error, and verify the error message. What do you think? Below is the definition and a few test cases, for Emacs 22.1.50. (require 'cl) (defmacro assert-error (form &optional regexp) "FORM must signal an error. Signal an error otherwise. Additionally, the error message must match REGEXP. Case is ignored while matching REGEXP." (let ((msg (make-symbol "msg")) (ok (make-symbol "ok")) (res (make-symbol "res"))) `(let ((,ok nil)) (condition-case err ...

Web resources about - Read error (error during smtp negotiation) - comp.mail.sendmail

Negotiations and Love Songs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^ "American album certifications – Paul Simon – Negotiations and Love Songs" . Recording Industry Association of America . If necessary, click ...

Statement from "The Simpsons" Star Harry Shearer About The Cast's Negotiations
STATEMENT FROM HARRY SHEARER For many years now, the cast of “The Simpsons” has been trying to get Fox to agree that, like so many other people ...

Sports Agent Blog - Sports Business, Sports Law, Sports Negotiations, NCAA Rules
Sports Business, Sports Law, Sports Negotiations, NCAA Rules

Schmooze or Lose: How the Lost Art of Negotiation Led to a Shutdown
By Jack and Suzy WelchWith all the finger-pointing and name-calling going on in Washington these days, it’s hard to believe a delegation of kindergarten ...

Answers about Negotiation - Quora
Be sure to factor in state income tax. California's is quite high, Texas has no state income tax. Depending on your income, this can be a 5-10% ...

Syrian Chemical Weapons Negotiations in Geneva, Switzerland: September 11-15, 2013 - an album on Flickr ...
... Commons Getty Collection Galleries World Map App Garden Camera Finder The Weekly Flickr FlickrBlog Upload Sign In Syrian Chemical Weapons Negotiations ...

Alan Adler on WIPO negotiations on copyright exceptions - YouTube
Alan Adler is Vice President for Legal and Government Affairs for the Association of American Publishers. On July 18, 2012, Alan was interviewed ...

Robinho to UAE? Baniyas say they ‘have been in negotiation’ with former Real Madrid and AC Milan star ...
Ahmed Rizvi writes reports are circulating that Robinho could be UAE-bound from Brazilian club Santos as Baniyas have been in deep talks with ...

Germany says Greek referendum plan shuts door on negotiations
Eurozone politicians are seething over Greece's decision to call a snap referendum on its bailout conditions. Germany all but buried negotiations ...

Apple gags banks over Apple Pay negotiations
Australian banks and payment companies negotiating with tech giant Apple on its Apple Pay platform could be sued for tens of millions of dollars ...