Rejecting mail address to mail gateway

I have a mail gateway that accepts mail for a number of domains. The
gateway handles incoming email only. Outgoing mail is delivered via a separate
system.
I've recently started to receive spam addressed to and in some cases from,
users on the gateway. The gateway has no valid users.

How can I stop sendmail 8.13 accepting mail addressed to the (non
existant) gateway but still allow the gateway to accept mail to the doamin?

Regards
ER

Hi snowyskiesau,
I am likewise trying to limit the access to my mail gateway, and
have accomplished some results.
For your problem, if you are accepting for the
whole domain, then you will not be able to distinguish between
valid and non valid users.  I have followed a document that
saids to put all your valid users in an expliced "access.db" rule!
therfore allowing only valid users to be relayed.
You could also use the access.db rules to deny relay to anyone
attempting to use a "from: anyone@yourdomain.xx" sending address
from your domains. Therefore blocking anyone using a "local"
sending address.  I think that is what you want to do.

my regards,

Stefan

"ER" <snowyskiesau@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2005.03.05.05.20.10.755151@yahoo.com>...
> I have a mail gateway that accepts mail for a number of domains. The
> gateway handles incoming email only. Outgoing mail is delivered via a separate
> system.
> I've recently started to receive spam addressed to and in some cases from,
> users on the gateway. The gateway has no valid users.
>
> How can I stop sendmail 8.13 accepting mail addressed to the (non
> existant) gateway but still allow the gateway to accept mail to the doamin?
>

> Regards
> ER

Rejecting mail address to mail gateway #2
I have a mail gateway that accepts mail for a number of domains. The gateway handles incoming email only. Outgoing mail is delivered via a separate system. I've recently started to receive spam addressed to and in some cases from, users on the gateway. The gateway has no valid users. How can I stop sendmail 8.13 accepting mail addressed to the (non existant) gateway users but still allow the gateway to accept and fordward mail to the doamin? Regards ER In article <pan.2005.03.05.07.08.15.489067@yahoo.com> "ER" <snowyskiesau@yahoo.com> writes: >I have a mail gateway that accepts mail for a number of domains. The >gateway handles incoming email only. Outgoing mail is delivered via a separate >system. >I've recently started to receive spam addressed to and in some cases from, >users on the gateway. The gateway has no valid users. > >How can I stop sendmail 8.13 accepting mail addressed to the (non >existant) gateway users but still allow the gateway to accept and >fordward mail to the doamin? If all you want is to reject mail to any user@gateway.domain.com address, you can just put To:gateway.domain.com REJECT in access db. Note though that with 8.12 or later, this will normally also reject e.g. messages sent from cron jobs to a local user (even a user that is aliased to a non-local address, as it applies to the recipient address given in RCPT To: in SMTP). You may want to have an exception for when the client ...

Mail address only allowed for specific mail addresses
Hi, We have a normal mailgroup with a list of e-mail addresses which is configured with the normal :include:/path/to/textfile statement in the alias file. Now we want to restrict the list to the mailaddresses in the textfile. is this possible and if, are there some example rules for that? Thanks Oli Oliver Rahn wrote: > We have a normal mailgroup with a list of e-mail addresses which is > configured with the normal :include:/path/to/textfile statement in the > alias file. Now we want to restrict the list to the mailaddresses in the > textfile. See http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? ...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to ".mail/". Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". > Change "mail/" to ".mail/". This is great! Thanks Eduardo!! I'll never change from Pine. That's for sure. > http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I would like to change my email when using mailinglists. The only thing Pine now needs is a way to use PGP/GPG as attachments...=) Hugs, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any :) effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I :) would like to change my email w...

mails in the mail queue
Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the queued mails will be delivered. Thanks for advices! Bridge wrote: > Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without > delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the > queued mails will be delivered. sendmail -odq your@address < some.mail See man sendmail and doc/op/op.* about DeliveryMode. -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? Bridge wrote: > Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without > delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the > queued mails will be delivered. DeliveryMode=deferred -- Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN 2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/ ...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only :) one such directory? Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, if so remove it. It is possible that this may break other applications (e.g. Mutt). Hopefully it won't. Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: > > :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems > :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both > :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is > :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only > :) one such directory? Eduardo Chappa wrote: > Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, No. The directories are not...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ > How to do that? If everything else fails: - delete mail - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail On 18 Aug 2005, Holger Marzen wrote: > * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > >> I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ >> How to do that? > > If everything else fails: > > - delete mail > - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail What Holger wrote should work, but it's cleaner to change where Pine looks for mailboxes. I discuss this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more >...

change mail address in mail client
Hi, I try to change my mail address on default mail client on Solaris 8. Is it possible, Rgds, Vincent ...

Mails from postmaster address to mailing list are lost
I have been using Mercury/32 with a domain mailbox for several years with very few problems. I currently use v3.31 (but my problem is also present with v3.32). But I have this problem: if the term 'postmaster' is part of the mail address of a mail sent to one of my mailing lists, the mail is never delivered. For example, if a mail from 'postmaster@somedomain.com' is sent to mailing list 'ml@mydomain.com', the mail is never delivered. The problem persists even if the from address is changed to 'postmaster42@somedomain.com'. If the from address is ch...

Please unregister this mail-address out of mailing-list.
Dear Python Staff, I am writing this letter to unsubscribe this mail-address from python mail-list. One problem is that this python community is so active that I always lost myself to find my business emails. So, I want to quit this mail-address from you, and want to set up a specific mail-box to receive all python mails. Since could find a way to unsubscribe the mails, I need to write this letter to you. Please help. BTW, python is indeed great, thank you all for any supports. Hank. ...

postfix: reject mails with MAIL FROM: <>
Is it possible to reject a mail with no envelope sender? I'd like this to happen: $ telnet localhost 25 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. 220 Ready MAIL FROM: <> My postfix answers "250 Ok" I'd like it to reject the MAIL FROM command (possibly dropping the connection). I've read quite a bit of postfix manuals, but can't find out what to put in main.cf or master.cf; I am not even sure that one of those is the file to edit :( Anyone offers a push in the right direction? Thanks a million -- --= my mail box only accepts =-- --= Content-Type: text/plain =-- --= Size below 10001 bytes =-- Pedro Graca <hexkid@hotpop.com> writes: >Is it possible to reject a mail with no envelope sender? >I'd like this to happen: > $ telnet localhost 25 > Trying 127.0.0.1... > Connected to localhost. > Escape character is '^]'. > 220 Ready > MAIL FROM: <> >My postfix answers "250 Ok" >I'd like it to reject the MAIL FROM command (possibly dropping the >connection). I've read quite a bit of postfix manuals, but can't find >out what to put in main.cf or master.cf; I am not even sure that one of >those is the file to edit :( Please nominate your system to rfc-ignorant.org, so that we can easily block your em...

no valid mail address from the originator in a forwarded mail
Hi, in a forwarded mail there should look similar like this: --- forwarded from .....---- From: <originator@domain.com> #<! valid mail address To: <....> Date: Subject ----------------------------- Section. We have the Problem that the To field only shows the Full Name of the originator an no valid @ mail address, so that the receiver of a forwarded mail is never able to send am mail to the originator. in other Domino Networks with the same Versions 8.5.3 we do not have this Problem (always valid mail addresses). How can i change that? ...

Mail 2.1, two PBG4s, synchronizing mail and mail problems
Here's the sitch: PBG4 w/broken screen, running an external (duh) Samsung monitor. This is my shop PB, it's currently masquerading as an immobile desktop. PBG4 all fixy-fix. Mostly keep at home, but also on the road. LaCie 320GB external Firewire drive. backup at shop (used Migration Assistant to copy the shop PB's system (10.4.7), apps, and docs to the FireWire drive) Two mail accounts -- one on each PB -- both of which accounts dump into Mail 2.1, on both PBs. With me so far? *I'm* already lost... Problem one: Is there a way -- besides signing up with .Mac -- that I can synchronize the mail on both machines? Failing that, is there a way -- besides doing it message-by-message -- to save the text and attachments from new mail messages? Problem two: Though by all means I can understand, both PBs are set up exactly the same way and certainly the mail prefs are the same, when I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at home, it opens Firefox to the correct page, just like it ought to do, but if I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at the shop, the mail window flashes once, but nothing opens. Both PBs are set up with Firefox as the default browser. What in the ding-dong am I doing wrong? Thanks! Bart Brown ...

Forward local gateway mail to internal mail server
I have Sendmail 8.13.5 running on redhat 9 on both boxes and would like the local mail on the gateway to be forwarded to the internal mail server. I have the DH and DR options set to the desired box but the local mail is still delivered locally. I can verify by sendmail -bv bo output: bo... deliverable: mailer local, user bo but if testing sendmail -bv bo@domain.com output: bo@domain.com... deliverable: mailer esmtp, \ host [internal.server.com], user bo@domain.com -- Thank You Bo Hunter Registered Linux User #393766 http://counter.li.org/ fingerprint = E5CE 755F 9040 8C5A C830 EA5F 890F 17EB 9118 645E ...

Importing Mail/Address book to Eudora from Mail app
As per the header. What I can't seem to do is using the Import command from within Eudora is to import the contents of my Mac Address Book into Eudora. Also importing mailboxes, for some reason Eudora duplicates them into 2 lots of mailboxes, most likely from when I used to run 2 accounts in Mail. Is there any way of merging the 2 boxes into 1? I'm using a G5 iMac Power PC. Thank you, Peter P.S. Please note that the e-mail address given is a spam trap. My correct e-mail address is peterNOSPAM@pfjames.NOTHANKS.co.uk Remove the obvious to reply -- He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. P.G. Wodehouse 1881 -1975 Peter James <pfjames2000@googlemail.com> wrote: > As per the header. What I can't seem to do is using the Import command > from within Eudora is to import the contents of my Mac Address Book into > Eudora. You can't import the contents into Eudora, but you can use Address Book in addition to Eudora's own address book. Go to Special | Settings | Address Book and check the box for Show OS X Address Book. > Also importing mailboxes, for some reason Eudora duplicates them into 2 > lots of mailboxes, most likely from when I used to run 2 accounts in > Mail. Is there any way of merging the 2 boxes into 1? > I'm using a G5 iMac Power PC. I'm assuming that there may be some over...

PHP Mail not sending mail to itnernal email address
Running a PHP mail script on Linux which has Exchange as the mail server. The script does not send mail to any internal email address but sends it to any other address outside its domain! Can somebody please help... Thanks Tanya www.bluent.co.in Hello, On 10/13/2003 03:29 AM, Tanya wrote: > Running a PHP mail script on Linux which has Exchange as the mail > server. > The script does not send mail to any internal email address but sends > it to any other address outside its domain! > Can somebody please help... If the message is not delivered, it is probably being rejected and you should get a bounce in the return address. If you do not get a bounce, maybe your Linux server is still retrying and the message is trapped in a queue. To analyse your problem and have a quick answer to what it can be, you may want to try this class that comes with a wrapper function named smtp_mail(). It emulates the mail() function so you can replace it without further changes. You just need to set it to direct delivery mode, so it tries to send to your Exchange server immediately instead of leaving in your local queue. If the message is rejected, you will get a self-explanatory error message that can tell you what is going on. http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage You also need this: http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass -- Regards, Manuel Lemos Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP http://www.phpclasses.org/ Hello, On 10/13/2003 03:29 AM, Tanya wro...

Need auto-mailer software
OK, here is what I'm looking to do... I have an intranet database and basically I'd like to be able to click on a mailing list I have, and have it send that list of e-mails, along with HTML that will be in the mailer, and a subject, to an address that will process those addresses and send out the mailer automatically. Or if there is some web-based solution that will allow me to submit a form w/ a text file attachment of addresses, the HTML source, and subject, that'll work too... Any thoughts? On 12 Sep 2003 12:38:24 -0700, Andy Milk <amilk@catalyst-i.com> wrote: > &g...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Archiving mail from mail.app
I need to save just every mail I receive and be able to search the archive. Mail.app's search capabilities are pathetic at best. I've searched around and found some AppleScript's that do some manner of import into FileMaker database, but they are limited in file size and capability to deal with attachments. I currently create new mailboxes with old mail to keep the mailbox from growing too huge, but am still stuck with poor search features. Otherwise, I am quite happy with Mail.app (Jaguar) and prefer to keep it. Does anyone have practical solutions for dealing with large ...

Pending Mail-Mail.box
I'm running Domino 6.5 and Windows2000 on my SMTP server. I'm getting a few complaints that internet email, inbound and outbound, sometimes takes 10 or more hours to deliver. I have 2 mail.box'es. I open them and they have email that is more than 24 hours old that is still Pending. IBM support keeps telling me thats normal. That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't mail.box be continually cearling itself out? What should I be looking at? buckeyedave84@hotmail.com (BuckeyeDave) wrote: >I'm running Domino 6.5 and Windows2000 on my SMTP server. I'm...

Web resources about - Rejecting mail address to mail gateway - comp.mail.sendmail

List of scientific societies explicitly rejecting intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...
Q & A on Evolution and Intelligent Design: Is intelligent design a scientific alternative to contemporary evolutionary theory? No. Intelligent ...

Will Snapchat Be Facebook’s Next Instagram, Despite Rejecting A $3B+ Acquisition Offer?
An acquisition offer of more than $3 billion is nothing to sneeze at, but photo-messaging application Snapchat sneezed, turning down an all-cash ...

Facebook Increasingly Evaluating, Rejecting Misleading Performance Ads
Facebook is making new efforts to ensure that performance advertisers’ content accurately reflects what each ad is about. Facebook has ramped ...

Syria's Kurds stand alone after rejecting rebels and regime
Despite the political developments taking place in Syria and Iraq, an independent Kurdistan remains a remote prospect.

George Brandis urges penalty for arts organisations rejecting corporate sponsorship
Arts Minister George Brandis has promoted moves to block government funding for organisations that refuse corporate sponsorship following the ...

Carr defiant in rejecting criticisms of wife's taxpayer-funded travel costs
Carr defiant in rejecting criticisms of wife's taxpayer-funded travel costs

The Bachelor Australia: Sam Wood on rejecting Heather Maltman
AFTER breaking Heather Maltman&#8217;s heart on live TV last night, Bachelor Sam Wood has gone from hero to zero.

Big Bash League: Melbourne Renegades star Chris Gayle criticised for rejecting easy single
Chris Gayle again finds himself in the bad books, a week after &quot;Don't Blush Baby-gate&quot;, for refusing to take what appeared to be an ...

Anti-cult activists praise Murdoch for rejecting Scientology
Anti-cult activists praise Murdoch for rejecting Scientology

Saudi sentenced to death for rejecting Islam
A Saudi Arabian who tore for up a Koran and hit it with a shoe is facing the death penalty for apostasy as a Saudi prince visits Britain.