Relaying Denied. IP name lookup failed

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi everyone,
I have checked the sendmail faq for the answer and gone through almost
all the configuration options. But still the following error persist.
We have one departmental mail server mail.cse.mnit.ac.in which send
and receive mails to/from mail.mnit.ac.in which forwards to different
departments and outside world. We are able to send the mails from
mail.cse.mnit.ac.in within the domains controlled by mnit.ac.in but
still failing to send the mail outside (e.g. yahoo.co.in). I have
checked the access database at the relaying server mail.mnit.ac.in but
still the mail sent from user@cse.mnit.ac.in is sent back with failure
delivery the transcript is as follows :
The original message was received at Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:17:00 +0530
from cse.mnit.ac.in [127.0.0.1]

<gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>
    (reason: 550 5.7.1 <gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>... Relaying denied. IP
name lookup failed [172.30.3.2])

.... while talking to mail.mnit.ac.in.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.7.1 <gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup
failed [172.30.3.2]
550 5.1.1 <gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

    [ Part 2: "Delivery Status" ]

Reporting-MTA: dns; cse.mnit.ac.in
Received-From-MTA: DNS; cse.mnit.ac.in
Arrival-Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:17:00 +0530

Final-Recipient: RFC822; gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.mnit.ac.in
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.7.1 <gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>... Relaying
denied. IP name lookup failed [172.30.3.2]
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:17:01 +0530

    [ Part 3: "Included Message" ]

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:17:00 +0530 (IST)
From: root <root@cse.mnit.ac.in>
To: gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in
We are using sendmail-8.12.10-1.
Any help is most welcome.
TIA
Gaur
0
Reply gaurms (8) 2/14/2004 9:07:45 AM

See related articles to this posting

karmath wrote:

> [...] We are able to send the mails from
> mail.cse.mnit.ac.in within the domains controlled by mnit.ac.in but
> still failing to send the mail outside (e.g. yahoo.co.in). I have
> checked the access database at the relaying server mail.mnit.ac.in but
> still the mail sent from user@cse.mnit.ac.in is sent back with failure
> delivery the transcript is as follows :

You probably currently have a line like this in your access table:
mnit.ac.in           RELAY

> The original message was received at Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:17:00 +0530
> from cse.mnit.ac.in [127.0.0.1]

> <gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>
>     (reason: 550 5.7.1 <gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>... Relaying denied. IP
> name lookup failed [172.30.3.2])

As this message tells you, the IP 172.30.3.2 cannot be resolved to a
hostname, and because of the access table entry above sendmail does not
know that this IP has anything to do with the mnit.ac.in domain.

Add reverse entries to the DNS or/and add a line like this in your
access table:

Connect:172.30         RELAY

Make sure your routers are spoofing protected.

--
Marco Senft
TTG - Technische Treuhand GmbH        http://www.t2g.ch/

0
Reply m.senft (93) 2/14/2004 11:15:52 AM

> karmath wrote:
>
> > [...] We are able to send the mails from
> > mail.cse.mnit.ac.in within the domains controlled by mnit.ac.in but
> > still failing to send the mail outside (e.g. yahoo.co.in). I have
> > checked the access database at the relaying server mail.mnit.ac.in but
> > still the mail sent from user@cse.mnit.ac.in is sent back with failure
> > delivery the transcript is as follows :
>
> You probably currently have a line like this in your access table:
> mnit.ac.in           RELAY
>
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > The original message was received at Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:17:00 +0530
> > from cse.mnit.ac.in [127.0.0.1]
> >
> >    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> > <gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>
> >     (reason: 550 5.7.1 <gaur_ms@yahoo.co.in>... Relaying denied. IP
> > name lookup failed [172.30.3.2])
>
> As this message tells you, the IP 172.30.3.2 cannot be resolved to a
> hostname, and because of the access table entry above sendmail does not
> know that this IP has anything to do with the mnit.ac.in domain.
>
> Add reverse entries to the DNS or/and add a line like this in your
> access table:
>
> Connect:172.30         RELAY
>
> Make sure your routers are spoofing protected.
Many thanks
It worked. Now I can send the mails outside and also within my
intranet subdomain. Now only problem remains is that, from outside
when a user send a mail (from user@yahoo.com) then it gets delivered
to main mailserver (mail.mnit.ac.in) and user@yahoo.com does not
receive any bounced back message but when MTA of mail.mnit.ac.in tries
to talk to mail.cse.mnit.ac.in, the MTA of mail.cse.mnit.ac.in seems
to refuse the connection ! What can possibly be problem here ?
Relay is working fine as I can send a mail from user@cse.mnit.ac.in
to/from user@mnit.ac.in.
Many thanks in advance
Gaur
0
Reply gaurms (8) 2/16/2004 7:12:52 AM
comp.mail.sendmail 13431 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed #2
Since I have installed Sendmail on Fedora Linux (FC2) I can not receive any mail to local declared email addresses. Let me describe my set-up: PC runing Linux, one ethernet innterface (WLAN0) using a private IP address (192.168.x.x), I am behind a firewall using NAT, and connectet to my ISP using ADSL. I have set-up a Dynamic DNS entry to point to the router Internet interface IP that is the same that my MX record, however oviously I don't have Revers Address Resolution. Folks, I am adding and extract of my maillog file: Nov 17 16:17:17 kiko sendmail[3479]: iAHFHGls003479: rul...

sendmail ( Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed )
Hello; I have an internal mail server, 10.x.y.z address, running Version 8.13.8+Sun. I need to allow other 10./24 addresses to relay mail without trying to get the PTR record. I have updated the /etc/mail/access 10. RELAY; but not all the workstations in the field have a DNS name; just a IP. So when they connect they get; 550 5.7.1 <foo@bar.tld>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [10.a.b.c] If I place 10.a.b.c in /etc/hosts it will work; I have been trying various cf configs and nothing iss working. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. <unix.eighty8@gmail.com> wrote i...

"Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed"
Hi everyone, I've added "10.0.0 RELAY" to my access table (and made it into a map), but when i try to relay from 10.0.0.2, I get the following message in my client. "Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [10.0.0.2]" I then tried adding a /etc/hosts entry and then adding that host to the access table. No luck. I just got a "Relaying denied" error. Whats the best way to fix this problem? I'm guessing i need a way for sendmail to not care about reverse dns on that IP range working... Any help would be appreciated, Alan Alan wrote: > Hi everyone, >...

"Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed"...
Hello everybody, I'm renting � Windows2000 Server on which XMAIL is installed. Everytime I send a mail from a domain YYY.COM to AOL.COM domain for example (or others...), I get this error message. If I use another domain (ZZZ.COM) to send my messages, it's OK. Somebody can tell me from where it's coming and why more and more domains rejects mails (aol, wanadoo, etc...) I read the few informations about the subject and it seems that by adding infos into a parameters file on Xmail server, we can route the mails to another SMTP server... Does it has a sense ? Thanks in advance for s...

Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged : It works only when sending to local address
Hi, I have a server with sendmail 8.13.6 under FC4. Many sites are hosted on this server, for example : www.site1.com , www.site2.fr ... Each user can normally uses the SMTP server called mail.domain-name . for example : mail.site1.com ou mail.site2.fr . But it is not so nice. When I want to send a mail to an user of the server, it works, but when I try to send a mail to another address, not. For example if I use the mail.site1.com SMTP server, I can write to foo@site2.fr , but I cannot write to address@yahoo.fr (or other) . Here is what sylpheed-claws says to me when I send an email t...

stat=Deferred: Name server: XXXXXX relay: host name lookup failure
Good Morning.. I need a little help with an issue. All mail is delayed with the message " stat=Deferred: Name server: XXXXXX relay: host name lookup failure". I have a Sendmail 8.13.3 running on FreeBSD 5.4. I am not running Named on the local box. The relay server is not in the agencies DNS servers but is specified in the /etc/hosts file. I can ping the relay server both by address and name. I am using a Name for the DS verses an address as I also have a "auth" file specified to allow sendmail to access the relay server. Can someone explain what option I nee...

IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip 0021275831620
IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip ...

urgent: thx IP lookup failed
hello what i can do against this (see topic) smtp auth is on, so i want that he checks first user/pw instead of checking the ip of the access point. this problem is only on some ips in europe (on access points) when some employer connects to our mailserver and wanna send mails. thanks richard wrote: > what i can do against this (see topic) What's the problem? If some DNS lookups fails, then you need to check DNS (server and resolver). > smtp auth is on, so i want that he checks first user/pw instead of checking > the ip of the access point. > this problem is only on...

dhcp-relay: ip helper address fails
hi we use a cisco 1605 (ios 11.2) with two ethernet interfaces. eth0: 10.0.0.1 eth1: 172.16.0.1 on the subnet 172.16.0.0 we have a dhcp-server (172.16.0.1) we also wanted to achieve that dhcp works on the 10.0.0.0 subnet, so we added an ip helper on interface eth0: conf t int eth0 ip helper-address 172.16.0.1 now, a testclient from the subnet 10.0.0.0 requests an ip address but did not get one. i sniff the traffic on the 172.16.0.0 subnet and saw that the router forwards the udp broadcast (port 67) to the dhcp server, but the router does not set the dhcp relay agent field, i think that ...

relay based on mx,mx is my ip, not my name
Sendmail 8.13.3 I want to relay for some domain, where the final destination is reached via mailertable. if I have some.dom IN MX 10 my.server.name it works If I have some.dom IN MX 10 mail.some.dom mail.some.dom A (ip of my server) it seems not to work. Must I explicitly list some.dom in access.db, or is there some feature i can switch on? Leif In article <425a87ad$0$13727$d40e179e@nntp03.dk.telia.net> "Leif Neland" <leif@internet.dk> writes: >Sendmail 8.13.3 > >I want to relay for some domain, where the final destination is reached via >mailertabl...

IP address lookup based on device name
I am trying to find out an IP address of certain devices. For example I have a computer that communicates with the AS400 through client access and a telnet session. On the As400 it shows up as a devices named PCUSERS1 and PCUSERS2. I want to be able to find out the IP address of that computer based on the information that I know, the AS400 device name. Is there an easy way to do this with some already built in commands, or are we going to have to write a program or telnet exit program? <gregbrune@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1113578794.276178.117840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups....

Should template dependent name lookup fail from template functions?
Introduction: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This refers to a GCC specific thread, that was established to be a general C++ issue, and not a private GCC issue: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-04/msg00682.html The problem: ~~~~~~~~~~~~ According to 14.6.2, the following should behave in a strange way (as it does in almost every C++ compiler): template <class T> void F(const A<T> & ) { T t; F(t); // Identifier: Name lookup deferred. ::F( t ); // Qualified-id: Name lookup done here and now. } void F(int); int main() { A<int> a; ...

Help: VPN/PPTP IP Address/name lookup
Hopefully a wise person in this forum can help? I configured VPN access to my home with DynDNS and PPTP, the issue is I can only communicate with machines on LAN via IP addresses, (not system names ), when using VPN. In the past, I solved this VPN IP/NAME lookup problem one of two ways. 1) Hard coding static IP addresses for each system (XP Professional system) and adding an entry in LMHOSTS. 2) Configuring a "Wins" server on Windows 2003 and pointing each XP Professional system at the wins server. Yes, The Windows 2003 server is on all the time. However, I'...

Codec lookup fails for bad codec name, blowing up BeautifulSoup
I just had our web page parser fail on "www.nasa.gov". It seems that NASA returns an HTTP header with a charset of ".utf8", which is non-standard. This goes into BeautifulSoup, which blows up trying to find a suitable codec. This happens because BeautifulSoup does this: def _codec(self, charset): if not charset: return charset codec = None try: codecs.lookup(charset) codec = charset except LookupError: pass return codec The documentation for codecs.lookup says: lookup(encoding)...

SMTP Relay fails, because DNS resolves to different IP addr
Gurus... I'm trying to get SMTP relaying working, and I'm getting the following error: "Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [63.96.182.86]". I'm fairly confident that this is because my IP addr behind a DNS server which is resolving to a hostname that does not resolve back to the original IP addr, so it thinks I'm forged. Can anyone point me to a setting that will fix this problem for me? Thanks! - Jeff ...

dcdiag fails
The Exchange 2003 installation pointed me to the dcdiag utility, which apparently found problems with my DNS setup. It complains "a6e1e747-5f44-451b-94ed-26aff4a954e7._msdcs.santaclara.astutonetworks.com's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an IP address" and to "check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc" but doesn't say what to check for. DHCP is not running on this machine and when I setup the DNS, I simply answered a few questions. Since there where not a lot of questions I expected it not to have a problem. I've read the Microsof...

Relaying Denied: Two IP sources work; Another Doesn't !!!
This is driving me nuts. I have a sendmail server and three other servers that want to send mail using the sendmail server. Two of the servers have been using sendmail ( relay ) just fine. But the third server, which I am trying to configure to use sendmail right now, cannot! All four servers are in a cage at the ISP behind firewalls. All three source servers have been added to /etc/mail/access with permissions of RELAY and access was compiled into access.db None of the source servers are in hosts. On the target sendmail server, there are no entries in hosts.deny. In hosts.allow...

Naming service fails to start with ip address 192.168.2.x
Tao 1.2 Ace 5.2 Windows XP Pro VC6 SP5 Pentium 4 3GHZ HyperThreading Intel D865GBF motherboard 2 network adapters: Intel Pro/1000 CT (internal) and Intel Pro/1000 MT When I run the naming service with the following command line option: "D:\Tools\ACE_wrappers\TAO\orbsvcs\Naming_Service\Release\Naming_Service.ex e -ORBEndpoint iiop://192.168.2.1:9999 -ORBDottedDecimalAddresses 1 -ORBdebuglevel 10" ... the naming service fails to start and gives me the following error" "TAO (300|1204) Loaded default protocol <IIOP_Factory> TAO (300|1204) created new ORB &...

[ace-users] Re: Naming service fails to start with ip address 192.168.2.x
Hi Ed, >> Tao 1.2 >> Ace 5.2 You are using an ANCIENT version of ACE+TAO. Therefore, the first thing I recommend that you do is upgrade to TAO 1.4.1, which you can download from http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html Please try this out and see if the problem goes away. Thanks, Doug >> Windows XP Pro >> VC6 SP5 >> Pentium 4 3GHZ HyperThreading >> Intel D865GBF motherboard >> 2 network adapters: Intel Pro/1000 CT (internal) and Intel Pro/1000 MT >> >> When I run the naming service with the following...

DIIOP Task Fails to Load, Error: "Unable to Determine Host Name or Host IP Address"
Problem When loading the DIIOP server task, the console reports the following error: 08:45:55 PM DIIOP Server started on <server.domain.com> 08:45:55 PM DIIOP Server is unable to determine host name or host ip address 08:45:55 PM DIIOP Server shutdown I have just seen on the site of lotus: http://www.lotus.com/support I had to change the "Fully qualified Internet host name". I changed it with the IP of the server but it still doesn't work. Someone can tell me a solution? It needs to be the fully qualified DNS name in active directory. On 5 Dec 2003 ...

recursive lookups for UNSECURE names fail if dlv.isc.org is unreachable and dnssec-lookaside is 'auto'

Block ip-name and ip-number missmatch?
As most people, I get spam and that I would like to block at once with sendmail (of course I could let spamassassin to take care of things, but IMHO an unblocked spam just comfirms that the e-mail is a valide one). In the header I often see the following thing: Received: from antronomia.com ([211.42.170.147]) by mail.example.net (8.12.10/8.12.10) with SMTP id hBEGqmEX025079 for <user@example.net>; Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:52:55 +0100 The ip-number I guess is the real ip-number of the sending machine and checking an ip-name for the ip-number gives the follwoing result: ...

SQL0567N The operation failed because the specified authorization name does not meet the identifier naming rules. Authorization name: "PUBLIC".
All - Aix 6.1 and db2level DB21085I Instance "db2inst1" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09076" with level identifier "08070107". Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.7.0.6", "s120629", "IP23414", and Fix Pack "6". Product is installed at "/opt/IBM/db2/V9.7". I'm scripting a move of tables using 'Admin_Move_table' to get to a new SAN... I came across this: SQL0567N The operation failed because the specified authorization name does not meet the identifier naming rules. Au...

Sendmail Name server: host name lookup failure
Hi, We had sendmail working fine on our RedHat ES 3 server for close to 2 years. Over one weekend sendmail stopped working. No server files were changed on this weekend. We have instigated a work around by modifying the sendmail.mc file to use actual IP addresses instead of the domain name of the mail server. We are at a lost as to what caused this and why the modifications we have since made were required. We have a hosts file that contains: 202.xx.xx.xx mailrelay.hosting.blah.com I've included the original sendmail.mc file that worked for the last 2 years and the modified sendmail.mc...