RH9 mail/sendmail behavior

On RedHat 7.2 (and most other distribution), it is possible to send
e-mail with:  "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx" when sendmail is NOT running as a
daemon.

On RedHat 9, this doesn't seem to be possible anymore. When sendmail
is not running as a daemon, using "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx" will not work
and the following error message will appears on maillog:

stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

Mail gets correctly processed if sendmail is running as a daemon. But
the port 25 is open.

Is it possible to be able to send my administrative e-mail without
having sendmail running as a daemon (I don't want the port 25 to be
open) on RH9?

Any suggestion as to where to look in the configuration?

Thanking you.

Georges Rosset
Geneva - Switzerland
(remove nojunk. if replying by e-mail)

Georges Rosset wrote:
> On RedHat 7.2 (and most other distribution), it is possible to send
> e-mail with:  "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx" when sendmail is NOT running as a
> daemon.
>

> On RedHat 9, this doesn't seem to be possible anymore. When sendmail
> is not running as a daemon, using "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx" will not work
> and the following error message will appears on maillog:
>
> stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
>
> Mail gets correctly processed if sendmail is running as a daemon. But
> the port 25 is open.
>

> Is it possible to be able to send my administrative e-mail without
> having sendmail running as a daemon (I don't want the port 25 to be
> open) on RH9?
>
> Any suggestion as to where to look in the configuration?

Default sendmail settings in RH9 don't allow outside connection to your port
25 (only from localhost), and therefore it's not dangerous to leave sendmail
runing as daemon. If you have been smart enough and used a firewall, you can
say in it to block port 25, this way you have "dubble security" on port 25.

When checking the mail man page it tells that following files are important
for mail:

      /var/spool/mail/*    Post office.
      ~/mbox               User's old mail.
      ~/.mailrc            File giving initial mail commands.
      /tmp/R*              Temporary files.
      /usr/lib/mail.*help  Help files.
      /etc/mail.rc         System initialization file.

So, you would take a look at the mail.rc, if you want mail to behive as it did
in RH7.2, then download the RH7.2 mail rpm and extract the /etc/mail.rc from
it and use it instead of the default one from RH9.

  //Aho

0
user7 (4036)
11/8/2003 2:23:53 PM
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:23:53 +0100,
"J.O. Aho" <user@example.net> wrote (a �crit):

>Georges Rosset wrote:
>> On RedHat 7.2 (and most other distribution), it is possible to send
>> e-mail with:  "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx" when sendmail is NOT running as a
>> daemon.
>>

>> On RedHat 9, this doesn't seem to be possible anymore. When sendmail
>> is not running as a daemon, using "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx" will not work
>> and the following error message will appears on maillog:
>>
>> stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
>>
>> Mail gets correctly processed if sendmail is running as a daemon. But
>> the port 25 is open.
>>

>> Is it possible to be able to send my administrative e-mail without
>> having sendmail running as a daemon (I don't want the port 25 to be
>> open) on RH9?
>>
>> Any suggestion as to where to look in the configuration?
>
>Default sendmail settings in RH9 don't allow outside connection to your port
>25 (only from localhost), and therefore it's not dangerous to leave sendmail
>runing as daemon. If you have been smart enough and used a firewall, you can
>say in it to block port 25, this way you have "dubble security" on port 25.
>
>When checking the mail man page it tells that following files are important
>for mail:
>
>      /var/spool/mail/*    Post office.
>      ~/mbox               User's old mail.
>      ~/.mailrc            File giving initial mail commands.
>      /tmp/R*              Temporary files.
>      /usr/lib/mail.*help  Help files.
>      /etc/mail.rc         System initialization file.
>

>So, you would take a look at the mail.rc, if you want mail to behive as it did
>in RH7.2, then download the RH7.2 mail rpm and extract the /etc/mail.rc from
>it and use it instead of the default one from RH9.
>

>  //Aho

Thank you for your detailed answer.

However, I can't leave sendmail running as a daemon, as this machine
will be hosting a Lotus Domino server, which has a daemon listening on
port 25. I just need to send all administrative e-mail to a central
help desk for monitoring and I have a lot of scripts ready on the old
machine that use "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx".

I had a look /etc/mail.rc.
Unfortunately, both RH9 and RH7.2 has the same content on this file.

So, I'm back to square one...

Georges Rosset wrote:

> However, I can't leave sendmail running as a daemon, as this machine
> will be hosting a Lotus Domino server, which has a daemon listening on
> port 25. I just need to send all administrative e-mail to a central
> help desk for monitoring and I have a lot of scripts ready on the old
> machine that use "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx".

okey, that changes things quite a lot.

> I had a look /etc/mail.rc.
> Unfortunately, both RH9 and RH7.2 has the same content on this file.
>
> So, I'm back to square one...

If the mail.rc are the same on both versions, then it have to be a compiletime
option that makes the difference.

As I guess you have the mail-<version number>.src.rpm from the RedHat7.2
installation, then you can rebuild that packages under your Redhat9.

rpmbuild --rebuild mail-<version number>.src.rpm

And when it's finished you will find it in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
This one is better suted for the Rh9 environment than what the one from RH7.2
would be. Of course there can be build problems, but I doubt there would be
any for this simple program.

In worst case, you have to check the ./configure options in the spec file from
both the Rh9 and RH7.2 sourceRPMs and the modify the spec file for the Rh9 to
use similare options and the build that new RPM

rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/mail.spec

The finished RPMs will be found in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 and the sourceRPM
will be located in /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/

I hope that can solve your problems.

  //Aho

0
user7 (4036)
11/8/2003 4:40:50 PM
Georges Rosset wrote:
> On RedHat 7.2 (and most other distribution), it is possible to send
> e-mail with:  "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx" when sendmail is NOT running as a
> daemon.
>

> On RedHat 9, this doesn't seem to be possible anymore. When sendmail
> is not running as a daemon, using "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx" will not work
> and the following error message will appears on maillog:
>
> stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
>
> Mail gets correctly processed if sendmail is running as a daemon. But
> the port 25 is open.
>

> Is it possible to be able to send my administrative e-mail without
> having sendmail running as a daemon (I don't want the port 25 to be
> open) on RH9?
>
> Any suggestion as to where to look in the configuration?

What comes to mind is the way RH9 defaults sendmail. Your Realease Notes
and/or the RH specifice section of the sendmail FAQ will probably help
you amend your system to do what you want. I.e. you only want sendmail
to send and not receive is how I read your message. Remember recent
versions of sendmail have a receiver and a transmitter as separate
functions unlike the monoliths in earlier versions.

Good luck

0
gerry4653 (112)
11/8/2003 6:26:57 PM
In article <boj6b4$1ev6d3$1@ID-130698.news.uni-berlin.de> "J.O. Aho"
<user@example.net> writes:
>Georges Rosset wrote:
>
>> However, I can't leave sendmail running as a daemon, as this machine
>> will be hosting a Lotus Domino server, which has a daemon listening on
>> port 25. I just need to send all administrative e-mail to a central
>> help desk for monitoring and I have a lot of scripts ready on the old
>> machine that use "mail xxx@xxxx.xxx".
>
>okey, that changes things quite a lot.

Well, if the Lotus Domino server is listening on port 25, it should
accept an SMTP connection from localhost and do the right thing with the
message it is given. Making an SMTP connection to localhost port 25 is
what sendmail, acting as MSP and invoked by 'mail', does in RH9.

>> I had a look /etc/mail.rc.
>> Unfortunately, both RH9 and RH7.2 has the same content on this file.
>>
>> So, I'm back to square one...
>
>If the mail.rc are the same on both versions, then it have to be a compiletime
>option that makes the difference.

There is no difference in the 'mail' program or its behaviour of course
(it probably hasn't changed in ages) - the difference is that RH9 uses
sendmail 8.12 with the MSP/MTA split, while RH7.2 did not. The only
thing 'mail' can do is invoke a sendmail-compatible program, it won't
make an SMTP connection.

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
per71 (2635)

mails sent by sendmail were treated as junk mail
Hi there, I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure it to work as my main mailserver which allow POP3 and SMTP connection from outside. My problem is that I cannot send out any mails which appears like sender: xxx@mydomain.com. If I send mail through terminal, my sent-out mail would looks like aaa@hostname.mydomain.com instead of aaa@mydomain.com. hostnam.mydomain.com is a qualified name of my linux box runing sendmail. Second, I configured a openwebmail on this linux box to allow users login from anywhere to manager their mails, and it works fine. However, all the out-going mails sent throug openwebmail are treated as junk mail by most mail server like hotmail and yahoo. It was complained as unknown sender(at this case, sender appears aaa@mydomain.com) Does anyone have any experience in such situation or have any ideas how to configure sendmail to solve my problems? My network setting is simply as router -> DMZ zone -> linux box which is runing sendmail. I have a domain, mydomain.com, which is parking at a domain hosting company where my zone file is actually located. I changed the MX record in the zone file so that it points to my static ip address(eg. 10.11.12.113). After some simple changes were done, I can receive any emails sent to my domain, like xxx@mydomain.com. Thanks for any ideas! In article <d57b272d.0405151235.19d0384b@posting.google.com> vbcache@hotmail.com (cerberus) writes: > >I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure ...

Hi all, Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd like sendmail to just send out mails but when it receives mails, it should forward it to our pop server. should we use mailertable for this or some other method? thanks for any info ike lozada schrieb: > Hi all, > > Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) > Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd > like sendmail to just send out mails but when it receives mails, it > should forward it to our pop server. should we use mailertable for > this or some other method? yes, we do that too. Just enter your domain in the mailertable, but on the receiving side there must be a mta, too, of course. So both servers should be running, e.g. sendmail. the pop server has to allow relaying of the smtp server, too. Keep your receiving server in brackets in the mailertable entry to prevent dns lookups, like so yourdomain.com smtp:[internalserver.internaldomain.com] Tim Tim Aden <corrodan@netcologne.de> wrote in message news:<c08rl4$3ft$1@newsreader2.netcologne.de>... > ike lozada schrieb: > > > Hi all, > > > > Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) > > Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd > > like sendmail to just send out mails but when...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate file). > > thanks You can easily change it in per user ~user/.procmailrc or global /etc/procmailrc http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3 Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)? -- [en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ Netcraft Site Rank: 462490 Thanks for replying Andrzej. But, this does not answer my question. I want mails in my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and not mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox is stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there are 5 files in my mail directory. I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com>...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 of these messages in syslog during the time of the incident; Jun 12 09:02:04 peace sendmail-mta[22621]: j5CD04jr022619: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:03:03 peace sendmail-mta[23982]: j5CD13Ef023979: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:04:36 peace sendmail-mta[26086]: j5CD2aaO026076: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:05:38 peace sendmail-mta[27455]: j5CD3bKd027452: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:01 peace sendmail-mta[27939]: j5CD411x027931: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:16 peace sendmail-mta[28248]: j5CD4GmD028243: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 8 S root 8888 1 0 49 20 69174...

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> To: <amit@www.domainname.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) This is a MIME-encapsulated message --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com The original message was received at Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) from localhost [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <amitka@gmail.com> (reason: 550 Host unknown) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 5.1.2 <amitka@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.domainame.com: host not found) --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; www.domainname.com Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; amitk...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-( A second big problem - a huge E-Mail providers such as GMail or Mail.ru ignore the "BODY=7BIT" and messages accepted propertly. I find it difficult to prove that the problem should be resolved by the message sender or the postmaster of "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service". Any idea ? -- Regards, Sergey. On 02/18/11 07:42, Sergey wrote: > I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft > ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail I think that's better worded as Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service is lying about being 7-bit. > MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT > > but message is not 7BIT. It contain > > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > ...

sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ???????, ???????
Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? What can I do to fix this? sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? OS Solaris 10 Sendmail 8.13.6 Thanks Jeff spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote: > Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? > What can I do to fix this? > sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: > SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? > > OS Solaris 10 > Sendmail 8.13.6 > > Thanks > Jeff > The sender didn't complete a particular phase of the smtp protocol. Possibly completed the helo xxxxx.xxx but not the mail from:, or neither. Basically it means they hung up on you. Telnet to your mailer and experiment with incomplete stanzas, begining with helo..., mail from:..., rcpt to:..., data... and drop the connection before completing each stanza. Bonus points for using log level 15 or greater. dp ...

Sendmail mail redirection
I am using sendmail running on an HP Intel based server loaded with Red Hat 7.2. My delima is that I was tasked with trying to capture email coming from a specific "external" email address and redirect it to a specific "internal" email address rather than the original recipient; it would be nice to potentially have it go to both the originally intended as well as the additional "mailbox". Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated. ...

Sendmail not delivering mail :-(
My /var partition on my RaQ server filled up, which appeared to be stopping Sendmail from running, so I moved /var/spool onto /home/var and symlinked it. Sendmail seems to now be running fine and accepting connections: [root@secure /]# ps ax | grep sendmail 9623 ? S 0:00 sendmail: QAA21395 freemail.com.: user open 11016 ? S 0:00 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25 However, no email is being delivered. I've also tried sending mail locally but that isn't delivered either :-( Any ideas? TIA, Jon Jon wrote: > My /var partition on my RaQ server filled up, which appeared to be > stopping Sendmail from running, so I moved /var/spool onto /home/var and > symlinked it. Sendmail seems to now be running fine and accepting > connections: > [root@secure /]# ps ax | grep sendmail > 9623 ? S 0:00 sendmail: QAA21395 freemail.com.: user open > 11016 ? S 0:00 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25 > However, no email is being delivered. I've also tried sending mail > locally but that isn't delivered either :-( > Any ideas? Hmm, how about checking the logfile? http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doesnt.html -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? ...

PHP mail() and sendmail again ....
Hi folks, I'm sitting the whole day on the problem now, reading almost everything I could find about the stuff on the net ... may be someone can at least tell me where I've to look for the problem. Consider the most simple PHP script for sending mail <?php mail("me@xxx.yyy" "test" "contents") ?> If I invoke this from the same host where apache and php and sendmail is running, I get false as the result, no mail is sent and the log entry from sendmail looks like Sep 24 16:28:28 xxx sendmail[3589]: [ID 801593 mail.info] i8OESSKQ003589: from=nobody, size=115, class=0, nrcpts=0, msgid=<200409241428.i8OESSKQ003589@xxx.yyy>, relay=nobody@localhost If I do the same on a different machine - say zzz - in the same domain, the mail is delivered and the log entry shows Sep 24 16:29:47 zzz sendmail[13104]: i8OETkjC013102: to=me@xxx.yyy, ctladdr=nobody (60001/60001), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, pri=120115, relay=xxx.yyy. [141.44.23.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (i8OETou4003644 Message accepted for delivery) What bothers me is the "nrcpts=0" in the first case - so we figured that it is a problem either with sendmail or the communication between sendmail and php. The Apache runs as nobody and nobody is configured as a trusted user in sendmail on xxx. The sendmail version on xxx is Sendmail 8.13.1/8.12.8; Any help is greatly appreciated. Stefan Stefan Schlechtweg wrote: > Hi folks, > &...

duplicate mails in sendmail
Our mainserver is down and all mails are now queing in the MX-backup-machine. It now would be nice to alter sendmail on the MX-backup so it would temporary deliver all the mails to a local mailbox but still try to send all the mails to the mainserver if it comes up again. I know this could be more or less easy done with some external mailers like procmail, but I'd like to know if this can be done inside sendmail. thnx, peter -- peter pilsl pilsl_usenet@goldfisch.at http://www.goldfisch.at In article <3f544d70$1@e-post.inode.at> peter pilsl <pilsl_usenet@goldfisch.at&g...

Sendmail and external mail
I'm using a no-ip.com o provide mx records for my server. In short if you send mail to my domain it relayes it to my server. Everything was working fine until I decided to reinstall mail server (debian woody ) and sendmail. After that only local mail delivery works. If you for example try to send me a mail from the out side it just bounces mail back. Here is the error: 553 5.1.8 <test@broadpark.no>... Domain of sender address test@broadpark.no does not exist (in reply to MAIL FROM command) when I try ti send mail from this email acccount --> test@broadpark.no to my server. Can this be fixed and how ? Thanks Adis Beglerovic wrote: > I'm using a no-ip.com o provide mx records for my server. > In short if you send mail to my domain it relayes it to my server. > Everything was working fine until I decided to reinstall mail server > (debian woody ) > and sendmail. After that only local mail delivery works. If you for > example try > to send me a mail from the out side it just bounces mail back. > Here is the error: > 553 5.1.8 <test@broadpark.no>... Domain of sender address > test@broadpark.no does not exist (in reply to MAIL FROM command) > when I try ti send mail from this email acccount --> test@broadpark.no > to my server. > > Can this be fixed and how ? Yup - looks like a local DNS resolution problem. What happens when you type: host -t mx broadpark.no -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) ...

Mail Quota on Sendmail
hi i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail quota over sendmail. By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum of 2.1GB's of mailbox. after that the mails start bouncing back & they used to be /var/spool/ mqueue & I want to set it to unlimited(size of my harddrive) for all the users. please help If anyone can guide me in installing the quota. hi please anyone help me in below matter i'll be very thankful to u Anshul Sendmail wrote: > hi > > i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail > quota over sendmail. > By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum > of 2.1GB's of mailbox. > after that the mails start bouncing back & they used to be /var/spool/ > mqueue & I want to set it to > unlimited(size of my harddrive) for all the users. > > please help If anyone can guide me in installing the quota. On Jun 12, 2:27 am, Sendmail <chauhanans...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi > > please anyone help me in below matter > i'll be very thankful to u > > Anshul > > Sendmail wrote: > > hi > > > i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail > > quota over sendmail. > > By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum > > of 2.1GB's of mailbox. > > after that the mails start bouncing b...

mail routing in sendmail
Hi ALL network scenario we have a mail server running in the head office with say domain "test.com " having user ids like user1@test.com . we have say around 2000 mail ids there. Now i have setup the new mail server at branch office with sendmail 8.13 and cyrus-impad with user ids like user2@test.com and user3@test.com. we have say around 300 mail ids here we have point to point link between branch and head office. i am using SMART_HOST(trend Inter scan virus wall gateway running on windows) to relay outgoing mails to internet. The problem descrption On my mail server If i add test.com to local-host-names file than when user2@test.com sends mail to user3@test.com the mail is routed locally, but if user2@test.com sends mail to user1@test.com(user at HO) it give USER UNKNOWN. But i want that this mail for user1@test.com should be forwarded to the mail server at HO through point to point link and any mail sent to other domians like say yahoo.com should be forwarded to SMART HOST and than to inetrnet . In short it should work like , if user is on the branch offcie server than the mail should be routed locally and if user id in not the server but its user in head offcie than mail should be forwarded to HO mail server and if mail is for say domain yahoo.com it should go to SMART HOST. Need HELP VERY URGENTLY..PL. HELP Thanks in advance > > On my mail server If i add test.com to local-host-names file than when > user2@test.com sends mail to user3...

Web resources about - RH9 mail/sendmail behavior - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...