RunAsUser for MSP ignored

hello,

i know that this problem has been covered in a number of places but after
following all the directions i still do not having a working sendmail.
well, that is not telling the full truth: sendmail works when mail is
originated from a client application (like mutt) but fails on the command
line with:

$ cat /etc/passwd | mail colliera
WARNING: RunAsUser for MSP ignored, check group ids (egid=100, want=25)
can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied
Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser.

now group 100 is "users" and 25 is smmsp.

i have the following two sendmail processes running:

$ ps -eo pid,uid,egid,egroup,args
 5795     0    25 smmsp    sendmail: accepting connections
 5797    25    25 smmsp    sendmail: Queue runner@00:25:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue

so both have effective GID of smmsp. the file/directory permissions i have
set up are:

-r-xr-sr-x  1 root smmsp 614488 2004-07-06 09:27 /usr/sbin/sendmail*
drwxrwx---  2 smmsp smmsp  80 2004-07-06 10:00 clientmqueue/
drwx------  2 root  root   48 2004-07-06 10:45 mqueue/
-r--r--r--  1 root bin   57214 2004-07-06 09:27 sendmail.cf
-r--r--r--  1 root bin   41135 2004-07-06 09:27 submit.cf

which are consistent with those prescribed in sendmail/SECURITY.

i am a bit puzzled why this is still not working as both the sendmail
processes should have access to the /var/spool/clientmqueue directory.

does anyone have any ideas?

i am using sendmail-8.13.0.

best regards,
andrew.

--
Andrew B. Collier
Antarctic Research Fellow                         tel: +27 31 2601157

Andrew Collier wrote:
> i know that this problem has been covered in a number of places but after
> following all the directions i still do not having a working sendmail.
> well, that is not telling the full truth: sendmail works when mail is
> originated from a client application (like mutt) but fails on the command
> line with:
>
> $ cat /etc/passwd | mail colliera
> WARNING: RunAsUser for MSP ignored, check group ids (egid=100, want=25)
> can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied
> Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser.
>
> now group 100 is "users" and 25 is smmsp.
>
> i have the following two sendmail processes running:
>
> $ ps -eo pid,uid,egid,egroup,args
>  5795     0    25 smmsp    sendmail: accepting connections
>  5797    25    25 smmsp    sendmail: Queue runner@00:25:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
>
> so both have effective GID of smmsp. the file/directory permissions i have
> set up are:
>
> -r-xr-sr-x  1 root smmsp 614488 2004-07-06 09:27 /usr/sbin/sendmail*
> drwxrwx---  2 smmsp smmsp  80 2004-07-06 10:00 clientmqueue/
> drwx------  2 root  root   48 2004-07-06 10:45 mqueue/
> -r--r--r--  1 root bin   57214 2004-07-06 09:27 sendmail.cf
> -r--r--r--  1 root bin   41135 2004-07-06 09:27 submit.cf
>
> which are consistent with those prescribed in sendmail/SECURITY.
>
> i am a bit puzzled why this is still not working as both the sendmail
> processes should have access to the /var/spool/clientmqueue directory.
>
> does anyone have any ideas?
>
> i am using sendmail-8.13.0.

1) Check which sendmail binary is used by "mail" program. It may use another
"full path sendmail specification" [e.g. /usr/lib/sendmail ].

string `which mail` | grep sendmail

2) Check again if all permissions are set as described in
http://www.sendmail.org/secure-install.html

--
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/ http://slashdot.org/~anfi

0
anfi (2014)
7/6/2004 10:27:00 AM
> 1) Check which sendmail binary is used by "mail" program. It may use another
> "full path sendmail specification" [e.g. /usr/lib/sendmail ].
>
> string `which mail` | grep sendmail

okay, i get:

$ strings `which mail` | grep sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail
$ strings `which nail` | grep sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail

so, it is using the only sendmail binary on the system.

> 2) Check again if all permissions are set as described in
> http://www.sendmail.org/secure-install.html

the permissions are precisely as i laid out previously (those were from my
system, not copied from the documentation!).
0
colliera1 (5)
7/7/2004 6:50:09 AM

0
nn (690)
7/7/2004 12:04:57 PM
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:04:57 +0000, Neil W Rickert wrote:

> Andrew Collier <colliera@adelie.ph.und.ac.za> writes:
>
>>$ cat /etc/passwd | mail colliera
>>WARNING: RunAsUser for MSP ignored, check group ids (egid=100, want=25)
>>can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied
> What happens if you use
>
> 	echo " test message" | /usr/sbin/sendmail colliera

excellent suggestion! it works... so i just re-installed nail (ie. command
line mail tool) and now all is well.

thanks very much!

--
Andrew B. Collier

Antarctic Research Fellow                         tel: +27 31 2601157
Space Physics Research Institute                  fax: +27 31 2616550
University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, 4041, South Africa

0
colliera1 (5)
7/7/2004 12:45:54 PM
okay, this gets weirder. this works fine:

$ cat /etc/passwd | mail colliera

however, when i try to give the email a subject line:

$ cat /etc/passwd | mail colliera -s "subject"
WARNING: RunAsUser for MSP ignored, check group ids (egid=100, want=25)
can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied
Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser.

i get an error.

what could be causing this?

--
Andrew B. Collier

Antarctic Research Fellow                         tel: +27 31 2601157
Space Physics Research Institute                  fax: +27 31 2616550
University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, 4041, South Africa

0
colliera1 (5)
7/8/2004 6:53:29 AM

0
nn (690)
7/8/2004 11:58:33 AM
> The basic unix command scheme is:
>
> 	options come before arguments
>
> Use
>
> 	cat /etc/passwd | mail -s "subject" colliera
>
> The "mail" command is treating "-s" as an address, rather than as an
> option flag.  When invoking sendmail, it sorts its addresses (as a
> way of removing duplicates).  This sorting happens to put "-s"
> first.  Sendmail sees the "-s" flag as an option.  It is a restricted
> option.  For safety, sendmail drops its suid and sgid privileges, and
> thus does not have permission to write to the queue directory.

thank you! that is the most helpful thing anyone has told me for a very
long time!

--
Andrew B. Collier

Antarctic Research Fellow                         tel: +27 31 2601157
Space Physics Research Institute                  fax: +27 31 2616550
University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, 4041, South Africa

0
colliera1 (5)

sendmail ignores sendmail.cf
If i do a 'sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf <adress>' everything works fine, but just using 'sendmail <adress>' seems to ignore sendmail.cf? There is even nothing like open(sendmail.cf) if i do an strace about this. See for yourself, this is like it expect it: nebula root # sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf -v jan tescht .. jan... Connecting to mail.doubleslash.de. via relay... .... but this not: nebula root # sendmail -v jan tescht .. jan... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... jan... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Jan Schubert wrote: > If...

using sendmail MSP to forward mail to a central server
I've configured postfix as an MTA on my network, but for all the other machines, I just want to forward all mail directly to the central server. This means I don't really want a local sendmail server on each box. The questions I have are: 1. Is is OK to use FEATURE(`msp', `mailserver.my.domain') in submit.mc to send mail across the internal network, and should I do anything else in submit.mc to get sendmail to connect to my postfix server? 2. What's the recommended way of rewriting the To: address? It's useful to (somehow) preserve the original machine the mail w...

using sendmail MSP to forward mail to a central server #2
I've configured postfix as an MTA on my network, but for all the other machines, I just want to forward all mail directly to the central server. This means I don't really want a local sendmail/postfix server on each box. The questions I have are: 1. Is is OK to use FEATURE(`msp', `mailserver.my.domain') in submit.mc to send mail across the internal network, and should I do anything else in submit.mc to get sendmail to connect to my postfix server? 2. What's the recommended way of rewriting the To: address? It's useful to (somehow) preserve the original machine th...

Why does sendmail 8.14.4 appear to be ignoring MX weight when connecting to remote mail servers?
As a test, I intentionally blocked firewall access for a lab server and tried sending a message to a test account on yahoo. Check it out: [root@foobox ~]# mailq /var/spool/mqueue (2 requests) -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient----------- r3O3cqEm011098 51218 Tue Apr 23 20:38 MAILER-DAEMON (Deferred: Connection refused by alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.) <footestuser@gmail.com> r3NMd1Em011926 48807 Tue Apr 23 15:39 <footestuser@gmail.com> (Def...

mails sent by sendmail were treated as junk mail
Hi there, I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure it to work as my main mailserver which allow POP3 and SMTP connection from outside. My problem is that I cannot send out any mails which appears like sender: xxx@mydomain.com. If I send mail through terminal, my sent-out mail would looks like aaa@hostname.mydomain.com instead of aaa@mydomain.com. hostnam.mydomain.com is a qualified name of my linux box runing sendmail. Second, I configured a openwebmail on this linux box to allow users login from anywhere to manager their mails, and it works fine. However, all the out-going mails se...

sendmail patch overwrites /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Beware: just installed patch 122857-02 (would be 122856 on SPARC) on my machine. Why does this patch overwrite my (custom) /etc/mail/sendmail.cf? This file is marked in the /var/sadm/install/contents database as "e" so should be left alone during patch installation. At least a notice in the patch README would have been nice, but this file just contains useless NOTEs most of the time. Better leave the sendmail.cf alone if it has been changed from the installed one (can be simply checked with the checksum in /var/sadm/install/contents) -- Daniel On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Daniel Rock...

This e-mail is test mail. please ignore.. I am very sorry
test mail -----Original Message----- From: questions-bounces@ntp.org [mailto:questions-bounces@ntp.org] Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 3:31 PM To: Ju Won Park Subject: The results of your email commands The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your original message. - Results: Confirmation succeeded - Unprocessed: -----Original Message----- From: questions-request@ntp.org [mailto:questions-request@ntp.org] Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 3:30 PM To: Ju Won Park Subject: confirm 9193bad73fce8d3fa896830cff2f8664616a6001 Mailing list su...

Mail::Sendmail cannot connect to localhost but the mail command can
Hello, I have a script that uses Mail::Sendmail, this script works just fine in 4 different boxes (RedHat and Solaris). Nevertheless, there is this Solaris machine where it doesn't work, and this is the error I get in the $Mail::Sendmail::error variable: connect to localhost failed (Connection refused) The thing that puzzles me, is that in the same machine, the mail command works just fine. <snipet> 39 sfx@et2:ver_2> mail andres@monroy.com testing .. </snipet> As far as I know, mail tries to send emails via the localhost SMTP just as Mail::Sendmail does. I also tried c...

Hello all, I am setting up a very secure Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server version 4 update 6 server. My sendmail version is 8.13.1. My mail server is a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 with its patches. They are both on the same subnet. DNS is on and it will resolve the mail server's name and IP. SSH, SCP, SFTP, and such tools are the only networkable protocols on. NFS if off, MOUNTD is off, PORTMAP is off, and such. Until just recently sendmail was off on the RHEL server as part of the hardening procedure. However part of the auditing requirements is for a mail messag...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate fi...

sendmail.sendmail?
I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the sendmail file is in /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating. Is there some configuration remaining or do I just need to rename the file to sendmail? Thanks Dan DeLion <noemail@northpole.nowhere> wrote: > I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the > sendmail file is in > /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail > I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating. Is there some > configuration remaining or do I just need t...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Fro...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 o...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local...

hi this is sasidhar, we have CentOS5 with default sendmail configuration. Initially it is sending mails to gmail, yahoo etc. last few days it is not sending mails to yahoo. In maillog I observed that for yahoo mails the stat value is deferred. I tried everything by browsing google but I didn't find any solution to this problem. Finally I came here with lots of hope. In mail queue there are more than 1 lack, most of them yahoo, rediff etc. For gmail it is not giving any problem every mail is going. please give any suggestions to solve this problem. Thanks, sasidhar. On 11/5/2009 11:...

Hi there, It seems send mail doesn't send mail to external mail account in my FreeBSD 4.8 BOX. However, I'm able to receive mail from external mail, such as yahoo, hotmail account. My config is: FreeBSD 4.8 ISP: bell Sympatico high speed with dynamic IP address. SMTP port is enabled on the router/firewall. Can anyone help? bluesnow#mail -v calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com Subject: This is a test. Do you hear me? EOT calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... 220 bluesnow.gotdns.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8p1/8.12.8; Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:14:51 -0400 (EDT) &...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration fi...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qm...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hell...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-(...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Web resources about - RunAsUser for MSP ignored - comp.mail.sendmail

Manual Pages: sudo
Manual Pages Man Page or Keyword Search: Man All Sections 1 - General Commands 2 - System Calls 3 - Subroutines 4 - Special Files 5 - File Formats ...

InfoSec Handlers Diary Blog - Sendmail vuln
SANS Internet Storm Center - A global cooperative cyber threat / internet security monitor and alert system. Featuring daily handler diaries ...