Send e-mail through sendmail upon name server (bind) failing.

Is it possible to send an e-mail through Sendmail using mailtertable.
I'd like to have an e-mail warning sent when Bind fails on this
machine.  Unfortunately, the only way to do this is on the host
machine using the mail command and grep the maillog, since it doesn't
blatantly fail, port 53 becomes unavailable, but from what I can tell
sendmail will not function without a properly running dns server?

 I thought specifying the ip address in the mailertable to forward the
request to my vtext.com address would be sufficient, but it doesn't
send anything until Bind is running.

Thanks,

--tj
0
techjohnny (77)

Cant send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
I use the netstat to get the following information: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:109 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 ...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

Best way to send mail from sendmail server?
Hey all; I've got a sendmail (8.13.4) box primarily relaying from the outside to a number of inside locations. Problem is, this box also sends mail out itself, mostly reporting and such. Now any mail it generates is coming from "user@localhost" which resolves (naturally) to 127.0.0.1. I can add localhost to the access DB and it works fine, but I'm wondering if this is really the ideal way of doing things. Is there a way I can rewrite the sender domain from localhost to domain.com, or even host.domain.com? Thanks, Colin Colin B. wrote: > I've got a sendmail (8.13.4)...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address
I would like to be able to e-mail a log file from my AIX server to an external e-mail address. I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone on the company's exchange server, but if I try to send an e-mail to someone outside the company it says host unknown. Is there something I need to set-up to make this work? I have a similar system set-up on my NT server where I am using the open source program sendemail. It works fine and it is easy to use. It is just an executable and you can add parameters like the name of our mail relay server. Can I get a sim...

sending mail via ISP replay server (solaris, sendmail)
I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13 How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is smtp.comcast.net ..incoming is mail.comcast.net and my email is myemail@comcast.com. Thnk you very much you want to look at the SMART HOST section in your sendmail.mc file Cheers Buff Z wrote: > I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13 > How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via > my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is > smtp.c...

function to isolate the e-mail host from an e-mail name
Hi. Sorry if this is an old question, but.... i have a table that includes an e-mail address in a query, i would like to create two columns with expressions for the hostname and the username. what function(s) would i use to split the e-mail address to what comes before the @ and what comes after? thanks, Larry - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown." Try Instr() to find location of the @ symbol in the email address, then Left() and Right() to extract the text eg. Assuming @ will always exist..... username = Left([myEmail], InStr("@", [myEmail])-1) hostname = Right([myEmail], Len([myEmail]) - Instr("@", [myEmail]) Or something like that! :) -- Bradley Software Developer www.hrsystems.com.au A Christian Response www.pastornet.net.au/response "bender" <larry@netgeexdotcom> wrote in message news:gj0g209heb6djs1p3uas2r1hr8q1qmhh82@4ax.com... > Hi. Sorry if this is an old question, but.... > > i have a table that includes an e-mail address > > in a query, i would like to create two columns with expressions for > the hostname and the username. > > what function(s) would i use to split the e-mail address to what comes > before the @ and what comes after? > > thanks, > > Larry > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown." ...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

Sendmail cannot send my mail
I am on a typical home user setup (dialup connection, SMTP server listens on exotic port 25000 and I need to enter a password to connect to the server). The various mailers I have used - outlook, outlook express, mozilla mail - have no problems sending my mail successfully. But when I try to use sendmail all I get is something like: Nov 22 18:56:51 turki sendmail[28724]: iAL4OmF22670: to=cga2001@eml.cc, ctladdr=gavron (500/500), delay=1+19:32:03, xdelay=00:00:10, mailer=relay, pri=815114, relay=b.mx.mailbarn.net. [66.54.152.36], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Defer red: Connection refused by b.mx.mailbarn.net. sendmail proceeds to recycle the mail for the following five days without success. I have read the FAQs, made countless changes to the sendmail.mc file, cycled sendmail at least a hundred times over the last couple of months to no avail. Since on average successfully setting up a mail account in one of the above mailers takes under two minutes, I am beginning to suspect that there is a bug in the version of sendmail I am running - sendmail version 8.11.4 release 3 as generated by Redhat 7.2 from an rpm. Is there a short howto describing what the average home user on a dialup connection should do to make sendmail connect to the outside world? I was thinking of using this as a checklist to make sure I am not leaving out anything. If no such document exists could anyone direct me to sample configuration files that are known to work in this type of setup with this particular versi...

sendmail for only sending mail
hello, i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: # /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com .... Type in message using headers etc .. and that's it, the message would be sent. however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "." does not send the message nor does ^D, nothing. i can't find in sendmail.cf a mention of "termination symbol". any ideas? (i thought it might be related to some terminate symbol, so i tried: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -messagefile=msg.txt which should send message from a file, but still, i get std input waiting for input, and unable to terminate except for ^C.) i am using the fedora distribution by the way. thanks. In article <4100396a-486b-4d25-b2e7-8fcb753a8c63@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com> jack.monflower@gmail.com writes: >hello, >i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... >nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) >so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: > ># /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com >... Type in message using headers etc >. > >and that's it, the message would be sent. >however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail >terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "...

How do I configure sendmail to recognize my SMTP server, so that I can send mail with mutt?
I'm trying to convert to Mutt, but can't get it to send mail. The problem is how sendmail's set up. How can I point send mail to smtp-server.blah.blah? Naota -- naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove capital letters: SPAM) ...

Sendmail sending user@domain.com to my local machine instead of my mail server.
Hi All I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. It works when I send out mails to username@gmail.com or username@yahoo.com, etc. But when I send out mails to username@abc.com, the mails get sent to itself, i.e. machine A1. And the maillog shows that the Local mailer was called to send the mail instead of the ESMTP mailer. I have other Freebsd machines, and h...

Looking for an e-mail app that can send e-mail in html format
A friend of mind wants me to send e-mail to him in html format. Are there any e-mail apps that can do this? -- Regards Brian In article <1146085981391782115.254092bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote: > A friend of mind wants me to send e-mail to him in html format. Are there > any e-mail apps that can do this? Almost all of them, but there really isn't any need to do so. Keep sending mail in plain ASCII. -- All usenet users are quirky, but some are more quirky than others. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org&...

sending e-mail to oneself (w/ sendmail 8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8)
Hello everyone, I hate to ask a basic question. But I already spent two weeks. I think I have suffered enough to post a question. I have been using Solaris 9 (SPARC) for years. My sendmail.mc with older sendmail worked okay for years. Now I updated my machine to Solaris 10, which comes with a newer version of sendmail (8.13.8). I tried my old sendmail.mc (with some tweaks) but it didn't work. So, I reverted the changes I made, one by one. Finally, I used the original sendmail.mc that comes with Solaris 10. It still didn't work. The problem I'm having is that I cannot send e-mails to myself. (Mail client == Mail host) I tried: # /usr/lib/sendmail -v myself </dev/null It hangs. The mail is stored in a spool because sendmail failed to deliver. I can see it by using 'mailq' command. Eventually the e-mail is forwarded to 'root' as an undeliverable e- mail (from MAIL-DAEMON). 553 5.3.5 mailhost.my_domain.com config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)554 5.3.5 Local configuration error As you my suspect, I can send an e-mail to somebody else (local). // My question is: What is the correct sequence should occur when sending e-mail to oneself? How can I debug this problem? (After e-amil is submitted to a mail spool) // The newer version of sendmail now uses 'submit.cf'. I'm suspecting that sendmail puts e-mails into a spool even the e-mail doesn't need any relaying. As my understanding of sendmail is very shallow, I'...

PHP mail() function failing to send mail
Hi everyone, Our setup: PHP 4.3.11, FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE, Sendmail 8.1, 1 host environment, 2 jails. Our problem: While we can send email from the command line just fine in one of the jails, we cannot use the php mail() command to send email using sendmail at all. The function, when executed, does absolutely nothing. No error, no reports to the maillog, nothing. I've read somewhere that it's "not possible" to send mail using the php mail() function within a freebsd jail, but i'm nearly certain we have it working this way on another server, but can't seem to figure out the issue. Anyone know any tests we can do to learn more? Thanks. Check out the log messages from your sendmail... If it's not logging anything, try increasing (temporarily) the log level (24 should be more than enough) Probability says that you're running into a permission issue with sendmail. Probably your PHP/Apache user is not allowed to relay email. I'm not sure this might apply since I am not familiar to BSD, but, had similar problems with a RH machine just a few days ago ...

send mail without.. sendmail ?
It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon running? Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more than I can handle as a part time admin. Thanks, bl8n8r bad_knee <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote: > It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run > sen...

How to configure sendmail to send mails
FUP from comp.lang.python Am Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 15:38:25 UTC+2 schrieb Ferrous Cranus: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 5/9/2013 4:29 =CE=BC=CE=BC, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 feedth= etroll =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >>> uses DoveCot as enaled mail server but i have no idea how to >>> setip up to work. >>> i cannot connect to it via my python script. >> OK, I should have been more exact: >> To send mails you need a "smtp-server" (MTA - Mail Transfer Agent, >> Message Transport Agent) like postfix, exim, sendmail, ... >> >> DoveCot is good for "reading" mail (=3D"mailbox management", "pop3(s)", >> "imap(s)"). You cannot send mails using DoveCot. (You can use a >> WebMailService to access DoveCot for reading and a MTA for sending mails= ..) >> >> So you have to find out, which MTA you installed (you have root access, >> don't you) and configure it. >> >> But this is (like so often) becoming extremely offtopic. >=20 > i as root just inatslled >=20 > sendmail and mailx. i have edited the ~/.mailrc to use: > > nikos@superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# cat ~/.mailrc > account gmail { > set smtp-use-starttls > set smtp=3Dsmtp://smtp.gmail.com:587 > set smtp-auth=3Dlogin > set smtp-auth-user=3Dmay)gmail > set smtp-auth-password=3Dmy_gmail_pass_not_stupid_enough_to_w...

Sendmail
I have been attempting to learn how to send HTML email with very little success. At least until today. There is little to no information out there to guide you. With the little I did find and much trial and error I figured it out. I am posting the details here because I know there were others who asked the same questions. The code below works. --------------------------------------- #!/usr/bin/perl -w use CGI qw/:standard/; ############################################################################# # Subroutines ####################################################################...

Securing a Sendmail mail server
This actually is more along the lines of ensuring that your server is not an open relay and to ensure that only my internal LAN and users authenticated via smtp-auth have the ability to send mail through my mail server. I've been pouring over the bat book and the new sendmail cookbook and feel like i've made good progress in figuring out how to secure my server. However, I wanted to post a few questions here to verify that I am understanding this correctly and when my server goes live, I am not an open relay. I know as of sendmail 8.9, it is a closed relay by default. Which is...

Web resources about - Send e-mail through sendmail upon name server (bind) failing. - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...