sending mail via ISP replay server (solaris, sendmail)

I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13
How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via
my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is
smtp.comcast.net  ..incoming is mail.comcast.net and my email is
myemail@comcast.com. Thnk you very much

0
zsh99 (3)

you want to look at the SMART HOST section in your sendmail.mc file

Cheers
Buff

On 2005-04-20, Z <zsh99@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13
> How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via
> my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is
> smtp.comcast.net  ..incoming is mail.comcast.net and my email is
> myemail@comcast.com. Thnk you very much

At /usr/lib/mail/cf/submit.mc you'll find
FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl

Change this to
FEATURE(`msp', `[smtp.comcast.net]')dnl
Then do "make submit.cf" and copy it to /etc/mail and
restart sendmail with "svcadm refresh smtp"

Regards,

Ville Jorma

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> To: <amit@www.domainname.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) This is a MIME-encapsulated message --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com The original message was received at Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) from localhost [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <amitka@gmail.com> (reason: 550 Host unknown) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 5.1.2 <amitka@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.domainame.com: host not found) --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; www.domainname.com Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; amitk...

Sending mails to ISP mail server account
Hi all, I have a local mail server on domain xyz.com. Sendmail configured as MTA. Users are able to send mails to each other. I have also configured relay-domains to xyz.com so that they are able to send mails to real world. Local users are like 1@xyz.com .. upto 10@xyz.com We also have the mail services from ISP on same domain xyz.com. On ISP mail server we have created same account name like 1@xyz.com ... upto 10@xyz.com .. My local mail server is fetching mail from ISP mail server & delivered to local user accounts by using fetchmail. On ISP mail server, we have created few accounts of the users like 11@xyz.com for mktg personals. These users are not having account on my local mail server. Now users want to send mail to 1@xyz.com with cc to 11@xyz.com . Whenever they send mails like this, error comes 'user unknown'. I have tried smart relay host option like ---------------- # "Smart" relay host (may be null) DSxyz.com --------------- but not got success. Any workaround by which mails to 11@xyz.com will go to ISP mail server account? Any pointer will help. Thanking you, Sandeep Agarwal ...

Problem sending mail via sendmail
Hello all, First off, please forgive me as I am not very familiar with sendmail, so my question may be worded poorly or the answer may be very obvious. I am setting up a new mail server running sendmail as the MTA. I am attempting to configure it so that anyone on our IP block can access it and send mail via SMTP without a username or password, and to reject mail from outside sources. Well, I can get it to reject mail, all right: everything comes back with this error: An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 <matt.singerman@gmail.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [141.161.111.116]. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again. (This is the error that Thunderbird gave me when trying to send a message.) Where can I configure sendmail to allow messages coming from a specific ip range, in this case 141.161.x.x? Or is this something I would have to configure in a system file (I am running FreeBSD)? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt Aha. Okay, so I found that using /etc/mail/relay-domains and putting in just 141.161. works. However, is this really the best way to do this? I'm not really all that familiar with sednmail and whatnot, but should I be "relaying" mail coming from addresses on my own network? I mean, hey, it works, but it just doesn't seem like the way things are supposed to work. "Matt Singerman" <matt.s...

Cant send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
I use the netstat to get the following information: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:109 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 ...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

Best way to send mail from sendmail server?
Hey all; I've got a sendmail (8.13.4) box primarily relaying from the outside to a number of inside locations. Problem is, this box also sends mail out itself, mostly reporting and such. Now any mail it generates is coming from "user@localhost" which resolves (naturally) to 127.0.0.1. I can add localhost to the access DB and it works fine, but I'm wondering if this is really the ideal way of doing things. Is there a way I can rewrite the sender domain from localhost to domain.com, or even host.domain.com? Thanks, Colin Colin B. wrote: > I've got a sendmail (8.13.4) box primarily relaying from the outside to > a number of inside locations. Problem is, this box also sends mail out > itself, mostly reporting and such. Now any mail it generates is coming > from "user@localhost" which resolves (naturally) to 127.0.0.1. I can add > localhost to the access DB and it works fine, but I'm wondering if this is > really the ideal way of doing things. Is there a way I can rewrite the > sender domain from localhost to domain.com, or even host.domain.com? Recomended way: Make "hostname --fqdn" report host.domain.com as fully qualified domain name of "this host". -- Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@priv.onet.pl> wrote: > Colin B. wrote: &...

Making sendmail work with my ISPs mail server
I am running sendmail on Solaris 9. Normally I use Mozilla to do most of my email, with mail.charter.net set as the outgoing server (SMTP), but would like on occassion to use mailx instead. The problem is I can not get sendmail configured so it will send mail via mail.charter.net. I have tried 2 or 3 different sets of sendmail.cf changes based on what I have found using Google, but none of them work. Local mail is fine, but mail addressed to jack_morrison@charter.net gets sent but never received. My latest attempt used the following .mc file to create sendmail.cf: divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`@(#)subsidiary.mc 1.10 (Sun) 12/14/00') OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.charter.net') MAILER(`local')dnl MAILER(`smtp')dnl LOCAL_NET_CONFIG R$* < @ $* .$m. > $* $#esmtp $@ $2.$m $: $1 < @ $2.$m. > $3 I then used mail to send a message to jack_morrison@charter.net but never received anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jack Please disregard my post, as it turns out this last changed worked but my Mozilla browser got hung up and was not pulling mail down from my mail server. Sorry! Jack Morrison wrote: > I am running sendmail on Solaris 9. Normally I use Mozilla to do most of > my email, with mail.charter.net set as the outgoing server (SMTP), but > would like on occassion to use mailx instead. The problem is I can not > get sendmail configured so it will send mail vi...

Sending HTML Mail via sendmail to Outlook 2000

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

sendmail for only sending mail
hello, i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: # /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com .... Type in message using headers etc .. and that's it, the message would be sent. however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "." does not send the message nor does ^D, nothing. i can't find in sendmail.cf a mention of "termination symbol". any ideas? (i thought it might be related to some terminate symbol, so i tried: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -messagefile=msg.txt which should send message from a file, but still, i get std input waiting for input, and unable to terminate except for ^C.) i am using the fedora distribution by the way. thanks. In article <4100396a-486b-4d25-b2e7-8fcb753a8c63@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com> jack.monflower@gmail.com writes: >hello, >i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... >nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) >so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: > ># /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com >... Type in message using headers etc >. > >and that's it, the message would be sent. >however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail >terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "...

Send e-mail through sendmail upon name server (bind) failing.
Is it possible to send an e-mail through Sendmail using mailtertable. I'd like to have an e-mail warning sent when Bind fails on this machine. Unfortunately, the only way to do this is on the host machine using the mail command and grep the maillog, since it doesn't blatantly fail, port 53 becomes unavailable, but from what I can tell sendmail will not function without a properly running dns server? I thought specifying the ip address in the mailertable to forward the request to my vtext.com address would be sufficient, but it doesn't send anything until Bind is running. Thanks, --tj ...

How do I configure sendmail to recognize my SMTP server, so that I can send mail with mutt?
I'm trying to convert to Mutt, but can't get it to send mail. The problem is how sendmail's set up. How can I point send mail to smtp-server.blah.blah? Naota -- naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove capital letters: SPAM) ...

Sendmail delivers mail locally instead of sending it to other domain / Solaris 9
Hi, I found a few old postings but they were not very helpful. Trying to configure Sendmail that came preinstalled with Solaris 9 - to send messages to my e-mail. Right now it delivers each message locally. ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- koracd@saic-dc.com (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 553 5.3.5 mailhost config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?) 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error The mailhost /etc/hosts is the localbox I am trying to send mail from. Thanks Dusan On Jun 29, 11:46 am, Du...

importing mail into sendmail mailbox via pop3 from account on remote server
Newbie here, with what I thought would be an uncomplicated question. Guess not. I am moving a friend's domain/site/mail onto my host. DNS and the site and new mailboxes are created, but I need to migrate his email, which I have POP access to, into his new sendmail mailbox on my host. His old host uses a 3rd party for mail hosting, and has only black box access to the mailserver. Although I'm familiar enough with putzing around a Linux box, and I have SSH to my box, I have not used fetchmail, mutt, pine, or any other command line tool that might facilitate migrating the contents of a POP3 account straight into the sendmail, and my host hasn't installed anything either. I know it is oxymoronic, but does sendmail have this capability? I trolled some groups, Googled the topic, and skimmed the manual, but no luck. Anyone written a Python, PHP or Perl script that can do this? I trolled for that too and couldn't find anything. Theoretically I supppose it would look like: [user@account /]$ programtofetchpop3mail pop3=mail.someotherhost.com user=oldmailbox pass=1234 box=/var/spool/mail/newmailbox cache=/var/spool/mail/newmailbox.cache or [user@account /]$ programtofetchpop3mail.py/php/pl pop3=mail.someotherhost.com user=oldmailbox pass=1234 box=/var/spool/mail/newmailbox cache=/var/spool/mail/newmailbox.cache I'd write my own script, but I'm not familiar enough with sendmail files to not botch the job. If anyone could help, please email dir...

PHP logs not working, and unable to send mail through sendmail via PHP
Hoping someone can help me out with this problem. First problem, is I am unable to view my php error log. In my php.ini I have my log in /var/www/logs/php_error_log. However, it has remained empty. Secondly, my sendmail works fine from command prompt. However, when trying to send mail through a php script (I have tried a couple), it says it is succesfull, but my mail logs show nothing going out. No error messages. Can someone take a look at my snippets below of my logging and my mail options and suggest some things for me to try please? Thanks. :) -Wayne Stevenson [PHP] ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; About this file ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; This is the recommended, PHP 4-style version of the php.ini-dist file. It ; sets some non standard settings, that make PHP more efficient, more secure,........ ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; Error handling and logging ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; error_reporting is a bit-field. Or each number up to get desired error ; reporting level ; E_ALL - All errors and warnings ; E_ERROR - fatal run-time errors ; E_WARNING - run-time warnings (non-fatal errors) ; E_PARSE - compile-time parse errors ; E_NOTICE - run-time notices (these are warnings which often result ; from a bug in your code, but it's possible that it was ; intentional (e.g., using an uninitialized variable and ; relying on the fact it's automatically initia...

Sendmail cannot send my mail
I am on a typical home user setup (dialup connection, SMTP server listens on exotic port 25000 and I need to enter a password to connect to the server). The various mailers I have used - outlook, outlook express, mozilla mail - have no problems sending my mail successfully. But when I try to use sendmail all I get is something like: Nov 22 18:56:51 turki sendmail[28724]: iAL4OmF22670: to=cga2001@eml.cc, ctladdr=gavron (500/500), delay=1+19:32:03, xdelay=00:00:10, mailer=relay, pri=815114, relay=b.mx.mailbarn.net. [66.54.152.36], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Defer red: Connection refused by b.mx.mailbarn.net. sendmail proceeds to recycle the mail for the following five days without success. I have read the FAQs, made countless changes to the sendmail.mc file, cycled sendmail at least a hundred times over the last couple of months to no avail. Since on average successfully setting up a mail account in one of the above mailers takes under two minutes, I am beginning to suspect that there is a bug in the version of sendmail I am running - sendmail version 8.11.4 release 3 as generated by Redhat 7.2 from an rpm. Is there a short howto describing what the average home user on a dialup connection should do to make sendmail connect to the outside world? I was thinking of using this as a checklist to make sure I am not leaving out anything. If no such document exists could anyone direct me to sample configuration files that are known to work in this type of setup with this particular versi...

Sendmail sending user@domain.com to my local machine instead of my mail server.
Hi All I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. It works when I send out mails to username@gmail.com or username@yahoo.com, etc. But when I send out mails to username@abc.com, the mails get sent to itself, i.e. machine A1. And the maillog shows that the Local mailer was called to send the mail instead of the ESMTP mailer. I have other Freebsd machines, and have no problem sending mails to username@abc.com. I've tried everything, including copying all the files in /etc/mail from my other working Freebsd machines to machine A1, and do a make, make install, make restart. But machine A1 still calls the local mailer to deliver mails addressed to @abc.com. Machine A1 is acting as if it is the mail server for the domain. I don't have local-domains, local-host-names, files, etc. I just use the original sendmail.com.mc file. Can anybody help? Thank you very much in anticipation. Gui cmgui2@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All > > I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. > I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails > occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server > for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. > > It...

Newbie Question
Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host. We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the following error : # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Our sendmail version is 8.13.4. Any idea how we can trouble shoot this ? Thanks, Bill In article <1161970635.838296.15020@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote: > Can we send email...

Sendmail not sending mails immediately
Hello, We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails and we would like those mails to be sent immediately. Currently there are sitting in the queue a few minutes and then they get sent. I didn't configure anything differently no that box. And sendmail is running as the following: root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m My question now is: how do I configure sendmail to send immediately mails ? Regards > root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m > smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m Replace -q15m with -q1s Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. I should add that -q1s implies that sendmail will process the mail queue every single second... so it's unnecessary overhead. I suggest you try with -q1m so it's once every minute... it's not too bad, but it could still be too much overhead for your system. Try to find a compromise between response times and overhead. I suggest you read the sendmail manual page for further information about the command line options... Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. Syn <syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com> writes: >We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails an...

Sendmail refuses to send mail
Hi, only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Thanks in advance! --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- newbie_at_sendmail wrote: > only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. > Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). > Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. > > What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Start by posting some log entries from an email that is bouncing. I would also be tempted to think about sniffing the SMTP traffic. However seeing as how the message is being rejected with a 4xx series code, it should still be in a mail queue on your system (presuming that it is the system your server is passing the message off to th...

Web resources about - sending mail via ISP replay server (solaris, sendmail) - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...