Hello all,
I am setting up a very secure Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server
version 4 update 6 server.  My sendmail version is 8.13.1.  My mail
server is a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 with its patches.
They are both on the same subnet.  DNS is on and it will resolve the
mail server's name and IP.  SSH, SCP, SFTP, and such tools are the
only networkable protocols on.  NFS if off, MOUNTD is off, PORTMAP is
off, and such.

Until just recently sendmail was off on the RHEL server as part of the
hardening procedure.  However part of the auditing requirements is for
a mail message to go out to some admin if certain events occur such as
"disk is full,"   "a panic occurred,"    "the system rebooted"  etc.
So I will perhaps cut sendmail on and mitigate the risk as best as
possible.

So, this sounds dumb, but can you send mail without sendmail.  I think
perhaps no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Secondly does anyone have a harden .mc file from which they could
share what they did?  Of course you can fudge in phoney IP and names
to protect your secured environment.

Advice or insight do any of you have on securing sendmail is
appreciated?  I want to avoid such things as promiscuous relays,
unqualified senders, etc etc.  But if it must be ...  it must be.  :)

Thanks

George <george.e.sullivan@saic.com> wrote:

> I am setting up a very secure Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server
> version 4 update 6 server.  My sendmail version is 8.13.1.  My mail
> server is a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 with its patches.
> They are both on the same subnet.  DNS is on and it will resolve the
> mail server's name and IP.  SSH, SCP, SFTP, and such tools are the
> only networkable protocols on.  NFS if off, MOUNTD is off, PORTMAP is
> off, and such.
>
> Until just recently sendmail was off on the RHEL server as part of the
> hardening procedure.  However part of the auditing requirements is for
> a mail message to go out to some admin if certain events occur such as
> "disk is full,"   "a panic occurred,"    "the system rebooted"  etc.
> So I will perhaps cut sendmail on and mitigate the risk as best as
> possible.
>
> So, this sounds dumb, but can you send mail without sendmail.  I think
> perhaps no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
>
> Secondly does anyone have a harden .mc file from which they could
> share what they did?  Of course you can fudge in phoney IP and names
> to protect your secured environment.
>
> Advice or insight do any of you have on securing sendmail is
> appreciated?  I want to avoid such things as promiscuous relays,
> unqualified senders, etc etc.  But if it must be ...  it must be.  :)

*IF* you want *ONLY* to send outgoing status reports via email *THEN*
you can install sendmail
* without running sendmail daemon at all [daemon usually runs as root]
* configuring submit.cf to send messages to another host instead of
  default 127.0.0.1:25
  [ in submit.mc modify "FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl" line ]
* using "non root" account to process MSA queue (e.g. from cron)

The link below may help you to understand the above suggestions:
https://www.sendmail.org/security/secure-install.php

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : anfi@xl.wp.pl
A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.

send mail without.. sendmail ?
It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon running? Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more than I can handle as a part time admin. Thanks, bl8n8r bad_knee <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote: > It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run > sen...

Send mail without running sendmail
I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get an error stating "Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]" in maillog file. Can somebody advise how I can point to external SMTP server for mail sending? Thanks. Karan wrote: > I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine > (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. > > In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get &...

How to send mail without sendmail running?
I'm positive that I've sent email from a Linux system before, WITHOUT sendmail running. When I tried to do this on a Fedora Core 1 box running sendmail 8.12, I could not send email to anyone on the localhost, or to an outside domain. Is there a way to configure sendmail so that it's not running, but will still allow sending email to external domains, other users on that host, mail from cron jobs, etc.? -Thanks Fred <itfred@cdw.com> writes: >I'm positive that I've sent email from a Linux system >before, WITHOUT sendmail running. When I tried to do >this on a Fedora Core 1 box running sendmail 8.12, I >could not send email to anyone on the localhost, or >to an outside domain. Is there a way to configure >sendmail so that it's not running, but will still >allow sending email to external domains, other users >on that host, mail from cron jobs, etc.? The best solution is to run a sendmail daemon listening *only* on 127.0.0.1 . That is probably the fedora default configuration. If you want it to run the old way, then chmod 4555 sendmail rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or rename to submit.cf.dist On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:29:27 +0000, Neil W Rickert wrote: > The best solution is to run a sendmail daemon listening > *only* on 127.0.0.1 . That is probably the fedora default > configuration. > > If you want it to run the old way, then > > chmod 4555 sendmail > rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or ...

send mail without running sendmail locally
Hi, I have 2 linux boxes, one of them running sendmail as MTA for my network, by using which we can send/receive mails to/fro internal/external mail IDs. Now, i want to send a mail from 2nd linux box (non-sendmail) to external domain mail Ids without running sendmail on it and rather, i want to use my sendmail server as RELAY. I configured my sendmail server to relay the 2nd linux box. Now, how can i send mail from 2nd linux box to outside world? Is there any command readily available or do i need to write any scripts for that? TIA Prvnrk Install sendmail, but don't allow it to start ...

sendmail for only sending mail
hello, i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: # /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com .... Type in message using headers etc .. and that's it, the message would be sent. however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "." does not send the message nor does ^D, nothing. i can't find in sendmail.cf a mention of "termination symbol". any ideas? (i thought it might be related to some terminate symbol, so i tried: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -messagefile=msg.txt which should send message from a file, but still, i get std input waiting for input, and unable to terminate except for ^C.) i am using the fedora distribution by the way. thanks. In article <4100396a-486b-4d25-b2e7-8fcb753a8c63@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com> jack.monflower@gmail.com writes: >hello, >i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... >nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) >so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: > ># /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com >... Type in message using headers etc >. > >and that's it, the message would be sent. >however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail >terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "...

Sendmail cannot send my mail
I am on a typical home user setup (dialup connection, SMTP server listens on exotic port 25000 and I need to enter a password to connect to the server). The various mailers I have used - outlook, outlook express, mozilla mail - have no problems sending my mail successfully. But when I try to use sendmail all I get is something like: Nov 22 18:56:51 turki sendmail[28724]: iAL4OmF22670: to=cga2001@eml.cc, ctladdr=gavron (500/500), delay=1+19:32:03, xdelay=00:00:10, mailer=relay, pri=815114, relay=b.mx.mailbarn.net. [66.54.152.36], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Defer red: Connection refused by b.mx.mailbarn.net. sendmail proceeds to recycle the mail for the following five days without success. I have read the FAQs, made countless changes to the sendmail.mc file, cycled sendmail at least a hundred times over the last couple of months to no avail. Since on average successfully setting up a mail account in one of the above mailers takes under two minutes, I am beginning to suspect that there is a bug in the version of sendmail I am running - sendmail version 8.11.4 release 3 as generated by Redhat 7.2 from an rpm. Is there a short howto describing what the average home user on a dialup connection should do to make sendmail connect to the outside world? I was thinking of using this as a checklist to make sure I am not leaving out anything. If no such document exists could anyone direct me to sample configuration files that are known to work in this type of setup with this particular versi...

Sendmail not sending mails immediately
Hello, We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails and we would like those mails to be sent immediately. Currently there are sitting in the queue a few minutes and then they get sent. I didn't configure anything differently no that box. And sendmail is running as the following: root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m My question now is: how do I configure sendmail to send immediately mails ? Regards > root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m > smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m Replace -q15m with -q1s Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. I should add that -q1s implies that sendmail will process the mail queue every single second... so it's unnecessary overhead. I suggest you try with -q1m so it's once every minute... it's not too bad, but it could still be too much overhead for your system. Try to find a compromise between response times and overhead. I suggest you read the sendmail manual page for further information about the command line options... Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. Syn <syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com> writes: >We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails an...

Securing a Sendmail mail server
This actually is more along the lines of ensuring that your server is not an open relay and to ensure that only my internal LAN and users authenticated via smtp-auth have the ability to send mail through my mail server. I've been pouring over the bat book and the new sendmail cookbook and feel like i've made good progress in figuring out how to secure my server. However, I wanted to post a few questions here to verify that I am understanding this correctly and when my server goes live, I am not an open relay. I know as of sendmail 8.9, it is a closed relay by default. Which is...

How to configure sendmail to send mails
FUP from comp.lang.python Am Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 15:38:25 UTC+2 schrieb Ferrous Cranus: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 5/9/2013 4:29 =CE=BC=CE=BC, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 feedth= etroll =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >>> uses DoveCot as enaled mail server but i have no idea how to >>> setip up to work. >>> i cannot connect to it via my python script. >> OK, I should have been more exact: >> To send mails you need a "smtp-server" (MTA - Mail Transfer Agent, >> Message Transport Agent) like postfix, exim, sendmail, ... >> >> DoveCot is good for "reading" mail (=3D"mailbox management", "pop3(s)", >> "imap(s)"). You cannot send mails using DoveCot. (You can use a >> WebMailService to access DoveCot for reading and a MTA for sending mails= ..) >> >> So you have to find out, which MTA you installed (you have root access, >> don't you) and configure it. >> >> But this is (like so often) becoming extremely offtopic. >=20 > i as root just inatslled >=20 > sendmail and mailx. i have edited the ~/.mailrc to use: > > nikos@superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# cat ~/.mailrc > account gmail { > set smtp-use-starttls > set smtp=3Dsmtp://smtp.gmail.com:587 > set smtp-auth=3Dlogin > set smtp-auth-user=3Dmay)gmail > set smtp-auth-password=3Dmy_gmail_pass_not_stupid_enough_to_w...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Sendmail refuses to send mail
Hi, only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Thanks in advance! --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= ...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ???????, ???????
Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? What can I do to fix this? sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? OS Solaris 10 Sendmail 8.13.6 Thanks Jeff spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote: > Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? > What can I do to fix this? > sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: > SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? > > OS Solaris 10 > Sendmail 8.13.6 &...

Cant send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
I use the netstat to get the following information: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:109 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 ...

Probs in sending mail with sendmail service
Hi I am trying to setup sendmail service for my bugzilla server... installed and configured sendmail service. Here I am able to send mails with telnet <mysite> 25 successfully... But When I try to send mails with sendmail -v <mymailid> the mails are not getting delivered to the destination id... Following is the transcript: ---------------------------- [root@bug mail]# sendmail -v srinivas_matta@yahoo.com test test est .. srinivas_matta@yahoo.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:29:29 +0530 >>> EHLO localhost.localdomain 250-localhost.localdomain Hello bug [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250-DSN 250-ETRN 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 250-DELIVERBY 250 HELP >>> MAIL From:<root@localhost.localdomain> SIZE=14 AUTH=root@localhost.localdomain 250 2.1.0 <root@localhost.localdomain>... Sender ok >>> RCPT To:<srinivas_matta@yahoo.com> >>> DATA 250 2.1.5 <srinivas_matta@yahoo.com>... Recipient ok 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself >>> . 250 2.0.0 l3GCxT6F002212 Message accepted for delivery srinivas_matta@yahoo.com... Sent (l3GCxT6F002212 Message accepted for delivery) Closing connection to [127.0.0.1] >>> QUIT 221 2.0.0 localhost.localdomain closing connection Tail of /var/log/maillog: ------------------------- Apr 16 18:29:...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

Sendmaill not able to send mails to certain domains!!
Dear all I am having a problem in sending mails using Dialup (PPP) connections. I will explain the setup. I had configured a mail server in my office using Linux sendmail and Redhat 9, which handles the complete intranet and mails to internet.Now i am facing a problem in which i am not able to send mails to very few domains, like rediffmail.com and some more. for eg: root# telnet mail1.rediffmail.com 25 Trying mail1.rediffmail.com Closing connection of mail1.rediffmail.com Trying mail2.rediffmail.com Closing connection of mail1.rediffmail.com Trying mail2.rediffmail.com Closin...

Sendmail keeps on sending mails (but I emptied queue)
Hi. I want to remove Sendmail messages queue. I've deleted every files within '/var/spool/mqueue/' (it's empty), but when restarting Sendmail, it tries to send more and more messages. I empty this directory, but when restarting Sendmail I find more messages again. Does anybody know to stop this queue? Thank you very much. If I do []# sendmail -bp I get: ---------------- /var/spool/mqueue (1 request) -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient----------- k1K9vHU4705137 32233 Mon Feb 20 02:57 <myaccount@mydomain.com> ...

sendmail won't send mail again
Hello! I want to use a perl CGI script behind apache to serve info inqueries and did something like the following: open(MAIL,"| $mailprog -t"); print MAIL "To: $to\n"; print MAIL "From: $webmaster_email\n"; print MAIL "X-Mailer: DaySpot Powered.\n"; print MAIL "Subject: $subject\n\n"; print MAIL "$message"; print MAIL "\n.\n"; close MAIL; Where From field is some yahoo email account. The apache runs as apache:apache. Now I find it couldn't send out ...

Best way to send mail from sendmail server?
Hey all; I've got a sendmail (8.13.4) box primarily relaying from the outside to a number of inside locations. Problem is, this box also sends mail out itself, mostly reporting and such. Now any mail it generates is coming from "user@localhost" which resolves (naturally) to 127.0.0.1. I can add localhost to the access DB and it works fine, but I'm wondering if this is really the ideal way of doing things. Is there a way I can rewrite the sender domain from localhost to domain.com, or even host.domain.com? Thanks, Colin Colin B. wrote: > I've got a sendmail (8.13.4)...

Sendmail won't send mail hotmail.
Okay so I bought ipalaces.org through netfirms.com, I then transfered over the nameservers to zoneedit.com because I want to have better control of the DNS. I have ipalaces.org and *.ipalaces.org set to the IP 72.249.127.98 I am using Sendmail 8.13.8 on debian hosted on a virtual private server. I have asked my VPS host to set up a PTR record for ipalaces.org to point back to 72.249.127.98. I have the following setup for sendmail.mc MASQUERADE_AS(`ipalaces.org')dnl CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Address=72.249.127.98')dnl I have used make in /etc/mail/ to apply the changes to sendmail.cf and then reloaded sendmail for changes to take effect. I have gone through hotmail's Sender ID Framework SPF Record Wizard located at http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/ and setup my SPF record with zoneedit as: v=spf1 a ip4:72.249.127.98 ~all My IP is not blacklisted, and everything gets sent find to hotmail's server as this verbose output of sendmail shows: 050 >>> EHLO ipalaces.org 050 250-bay0-mc11-f13.bay0.hotmail.com (3.3.2.16) Hello [72.249.127.98] 050 250-SIZE 29696000 050 250-PIPELINING 050 250-8bitmime 050 250-BINARYMIME 050 250-CHUNKING 050 250-AUTH LOGIN 050 250-AUTH=LOGIN 050 250 OK 050 >>> MAIL From:<root@ipalaces.org> SIZE=325 AUTH=<> 050 250 root@ipalaces.org....Sender OK 050 >>> RCPT To:<ek_opteron@hotmail.com> 050 >>> DATA 050 250 ek_opteron@hotmail.com 050...

Web resources about - Sending mail without sendmail or highly secure sendmail - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...