Sendmail Deferred and times out with mail server

I have a linux box that sits in our Cisco PIX DMZ and relays mail to
our internal Exchange server. Problem I have is that sometimes it
relays fine, other times we get a 'Connection timed out with
mail.unix.com'.

Here is a snippet from my logfile of a email I recently sent:

Jan  6 11:36:42 myhost sendmail[4136]: j06GagkR004136: from=root,
size=62, class=0, n
rcpts=1, msgid=<200501061636.j06GagkR004136@myhost.unix.com>,
relay=root@loca
lhost
Jan  6 11:36:43 myhost sendmail[4138]: j06GagU6004138:
from=<root@myhost.unix.com>, size=386, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<200501061636.j06GagkR004136@myhost.unix.com>, proto=ESMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
Jan  6 11:36:43 myhost sendmail[4136]: j06GagkR004136: to=jweb@unix.com
, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay,
pri=30062, relay=[12
7.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (j06GagU6004138 Message
accepted for delivery)
Jan  6 11:37:26 myhost sendmail[4122]: j06GRH15003890: to=<jweb@unix.co
m>, ctladdr=<root@myhost.unix.com> (0/0), delay=00:10:09,
xdelay=00:01:00, ma
iler=esmtp, pri=120387, relay=mail.unix.com. [123.123.166.195],
dsn=4.0.0, stat=De
ferred: Connection timed out with mail.unix.com.

I can't determine where the problem is -- dmz? sendmail? exchange?
Any thoughts or help is immensely appreciated.

Thanks,
JWeb

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> To: <amit@www.domainname.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) This is a MIME-encapsulated message --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com The original message was received at Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) from localhost [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <amitka@gmail.com> (reason: 550 Host unknown) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 5.1.2 <amitka@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.domainame.com: host not found) --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; www.domainname.com Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; amitk...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

Sendmail Deferring mail.
Hi All, I have an issue with sendmail deferring mail when sending, mail is just getting dumped in the mail queue and going no-where.. I'm getting the following error: May 8 21:40:43 wamzl100 sendmail[5723]: p491ehbX005723: from=<root@wamzl100.xxx.com>, size=321, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201105090140.p491edDd005720@wamzl100.xxx.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1] May 8 21:40:43 wamzl100 sendmail[5720]: p491edDd005720: to=xxx@xxx.com.au, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:04, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30010, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (p491ehbX005723 Message accepted for delivery) May 8 21:40:43 wamzl100 sendmail[5725]: p491ehbX005723: to=<xxx@xxx.com.au>, ctladdr=<root@wamzl100.xxx.com> (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=120321, relay=xxx.com.au.s9b2.psmtp.com. [74.125.148.14], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Invalid argument I have set the verbosity to 20, rather than the default of 9, and i'm still getting no more info in my logs... David Nedved <david.nedved@flightcentre.com.au> wrote in <5ac9476d-1d5b-4dc4-96cc-96a1081a9ba6@b7g2000prg.googlegroups.com>: > Hi All, > I have an issue with sendmail deferring mail when sending, mail is > just getting dumped in the mail queue and going no-where.. > > I'm getting the following error: > > May 8 21:40:43 wamzl100 sendmail[5723]: p491ehbX005723: > from=<root@wamzl100.x...

Securing a Sendmail mail server
This actually is more along the lines of ensuring that your server is not an open relay and to ensure that only my internal LAN and users authenticated via smtp-auth have the ability to send mail through my mail server. I've been pouring over the bat book and the new sendmail cookbook and feel like i've made good progress in figuring out how to secure my server. However, I wanted to post a few questions here to verify that I am understanding this correctly and when my server goes live, I am not an open relay. I know as of sendmail 8.9, it is a closed relay by default. Which is...

I'm sendmail from mail server
I'm using sendmail in my mail server ( vers. 8.12.10-1.1.1). The same mail was sent to 2 users (A, B), I can see 2 different mail formats. A uses Outlook Express 6 and it's able to read message B uses Outlook Express 6 and it's NOT able to read message. I verified mail, which was in mailbox B, has winmail.dat inside body so I suppose to be RTF format. I verified client which sent the mail, but there is neither settings for RTF format nor setting for RFT format for specific recipients. Can sendmail alter email format in this way ? RICCARDO <ric.castellani@alice.it> wrote in <792579cd-a52c-424c-9e57-3157b467873d@f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>: > I'm using sendmail in my mail server ( vers. 8.12.10-1.1.1). > The same mail was sent to 2 users (A, B), I can see 2 different mail > formats. > > A uses Outlook Express 6 and it's able to read message > B uses Outlook Express 6 and it's NOT able to read message. > > I verified mail, which was in mailbox B, has winmail.dat inside body > so I suppose to be RTF format. > I verified client which sent the mail, but there is neither settings > for RTF format nor setting for RFT format for specific recipients. > > Can sendmail alter email format in this way ? Not to my knowledge. Can you run a packet trace (WireShark, tcpdump, etc.) of both sessions (the one to A _and_ the one to B), and then compare them? I suspect that B is somehow prompting Exchange to send ...

Cant send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
I use the netstat to get the following information: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:109 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 ...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate file). > > thanks You can easily change it in per user ~user/.procmailrc or global /etc/procmailrc http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3 Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)? -- [en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ Netcraft Site Rank: 462490 Thanks for replying Andrzej. But, this does not answer my question. I want mails in my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and not mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox is stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there are 5 files in my mail directory. I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com>...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 of these messages in syslog during the time of the incident; Jun 12 09:02:04 peace sendmail-mta[22621]: j5CD04jr022619: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:03:03 peace sendmail-mta[23982]: j5CD13Ef023979: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:04:36 peace sendmail-mta[26086]: j5CD2aaO026076: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:05:38 peace sendmail-mta[27455]: j5CD3bKd027452: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:01 peace sendmail-mta[27939]: j5CD411x027931: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:16 peace sendmail-mta[28248]: j5CD4GmD028243: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 8 S root 8888 1 0 49 20 69174...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

Restrict Local From: mails on Sendmail Relay Servers
Hi, In our network we have a Sendmail relay server connected on our intranet and also to the public network. I would like to restrict the server to accept incoming mails with source local adresses only from our intranet. Example: Lets supose that our local domain is "local.dom". Considering this scenario I would to configure Sendmail only to accept mails with the "From: *@local.dom" comming from our intranet mail server and reject those comming from Internet apparently sended from a *@local.dom guy. Regards, Jordi ...

Redirecting Mail Rx By Sendmail To An Exchange Server
I am reasonably familiar with using sendmail as the primary MTA for a domain. However, I have a client that wants to do something I know can be done, but which I've never done myself, so I am turning to the geniuses here. I'm not looking for a spelled out solution, just a pointer on where to get started (though a turnkey solution will happily be accepted :) Today's Situation ----------------- The client runs their own mail infrastructure and their domain MX points to an Exchange server machine. What They Want -------------- 1) Run sendmail/MailScanner/clamav on a FreeBSD serv...

Making sendmail work with my ISPs mail server
I am running sendmail on Solaris 9. Normally I use Mozilla to do most of my email, with mail.charter.net set as the outgoing server (SMTP), but would like on occassion to use mailx instead. The problem is I can not get sendmail configured so it will send mail via mail.charter.net. I have tried 2 or 3 different sets of sendmail.cf changes based on what I have found using Google, but none of them work. Local mail is fine, but mail addressed to jack_morrison@charter.net gets sent but never received. My latest attempt used the following .mc file to create sendmail.cf: divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`@(#)subsidiary.mc 1.10 (Sun) 12/14/00') OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.charter.net') MAILER(`local')dnl MAILER(`smtp')dnl LOCAL_NET_CONFIG R$* < @ $* .$m. > $* $#esmtp $@ $2.$m $: $1 < @ $2.$m. > $3 I then used mail to send a message to jack_morrison@charter.net but never received anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jack Please disregard my post, as it turns out this last changed worked but my Mozilla browser got hung up and was not pulling mail down from my mail server. Sorry! Jack Morrison wrote: > I am running sendmail on Solaris 9. Normally I use Mozilla to do most of > my email, with mail.charter.net set as the outgoing server (SMTP), but > would like on occassion to use mailx instead. The problem is I can not > get sendmail configured so it will send mail vi...

How to setup sendmail quickly and simple mail server
Hi I just need to know how to setup sendmail quickly . Are there are guides outhere to do a fast setup ? I just need one mailbox where I am planning to send some logs from a linux server. I would like just one person to login to the mailbox and look at messages . nothings fancy just a plain mailbox with a login ID and password I do have DNS server ...

Best way to send mail from sendmail server?
Hey all; I've got a sendmail (8.13.4) box primarily relaying from the outside to a number of inside locations. Problem is, this box also sends mail out itself, mostly reporting and such. Now any mail it generates is coming from "user@localhost" which resolves (naturally) to 127.0.0.1. I can add localhost to the access DB and it works fine, but I'm wondering if this is really the ideal way of doing things. Is there a way I can rewrite the sender domain from localhost to domain.com, or even host.domain.com? Thanks, Colin Colin B. wrote: > I've got a sendmail (8.13.4) box primarily relaying from the outside to > a number of inside locations. Problem is, this box also sends mail out > itself, mostly reporting and such. Now any mail it generates is coming > from "user@localhost" which resolves (naturally) to 127.0.0.1. I can add > localhost to the access DB and it works fine, but I'm wondering if this is > really the ideal way of doing things. Is there a way I can rewrite the > sender domain from localhost to domain.com, or even host.domain.com? Recomended way: Make "hostname --fqdn" report host.domain.com as fully qualified domain name of "this host". -- Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@priv.onet.pl> wrote: > Colin B. wrote: &...

Sendmail virtual hosting, default mail server
Hi, googl'd quite a lot but couldn't find my answer. Can someone help ? We host several domains, on a single server. The server has different IP addresses, corresponding to the SMTP and POP servers for the domains. Domains are virtual in the sense that we don't use the the virtusertable, but the vdeliver utility of linuxconf : users don't have an account on our system. Everything works fine, e-mails are delivered and sent OK. Our question is the following : Is it possible to have sendmail send the mails from the "domain mail server" instead as from the local loop ? ...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

using sendmail MSP to forward mail to a central server
I've configured postfix as an MTA on my network, but for all the other machines, I just want to forward all mail directly to the central server. This means I don't really want a local sendmail server on each box. The questions I have are: 1. Is is OK to use FEATURE(`msp', `mailserver.my.domain') in submit.mc to send mail across the internal network, and should I do anything else in submit.mc to get sendmail to connect to my postfix server? 2. What's the recommended way of rewriting the To: address? It's useful to (somehow) preserve the original machine the mail w...

Re: Redirecting Mail Rx By Sendmail To An Exchange Server
should you get this up and running, I would be interested in the detail of the sendmail config. I have a setup with senmail as proxy for a exchange but would like to add MailScanner. I don't now how to adjust the sendmail config for that, since understand that with MailScanner two 'versions' of sendmail are run .. - admin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message342684.htm ...

Web resources about - Sendmail Deferred and times out with mail server - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...