Sendmail Deferred: Connection timed out

Hi,

I got the following "Connection timed out" errors from some of the email
servers, like google:

	$ tail -1 /var/log/mail.log
	Jun 15 15:55:52 coral sm-mta[9924]: s5FAo29p007675:
to=<me@gmail.com>, delay=09:05:50, xdelay=00:10:36, mailer=esmtp,
pri=2550569, relay=alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. [74.125.136.26],
dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection timed out with alt4.gmail-smtp-
in.l.google.com.

Since not all my emails are blocked, I think that the problem is not at
my local side, but the remote SMTP server. This is what I did to look
into the problem:

	$ dig mx gmail.com
	;; QUESTION SECTION:
	;gmail.com.                     IN      MX

	;; ANSWER SECTION:
	gmail.com.              3280    IN      MX      20 alt2.gmail-
smtp-in.l.google.com.
	gmail.com.              3280    IN      MX      10 alt1.gmail-
smtp-in.l.google.com.
	gmail.com.              3280    IN      MX      5 gmail-smtp-
in.l.google.com.
	gmail.com.              3280    IN      MX      30 alt3.gmail-
smtp-in.l.google.com.
	gmail.com.              3280    IN      MX      40 alt4.gmail-
smtp-in.l.google.com.

	$ telnet alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
	Trying 74.125.136.27...
	Trying 2a00:1450:4013:c01::1a...
	telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable

	$ telnet alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 587
	Trying 74.125.136.26...
	^C

Now I'm confused -- the MX/DNS records for the gmail.com lists alt4.gmail-
smtp-in.l.google.com as one of the servers, yet it is not listing to
either port 25 or 587.

Is my DNS get polluted, or I'm going after the wrong thing? Please help.
How to fix this "Connection timed out" errors for my Ubuntu sendmail?
This is Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy BTW. Thanks

0
Tong

* Tong *  wrote:

> 	$ telnet alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
> 	Trying 74.125.136.27...
> 	Trying 2a00:1450:4013:c01::1a...

> 	$ telnet alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 587
> 	Trying 74.125.136.26...
> 	^C

> Now I'm confused -- the MX/DNS records for the gmail.com lists alt4.gmail-
> smtp-in.l.google.com as one of the servers, yet it is not listing to
> either port 25 or 587.

Both IPs are responding just fine.

Maybe it was a temporary problem?

Otherwise the problem is on your end...

$ telnet 74.125.136.27 25
Trying 74.125.136.27...
Connected to 74.125.136.27.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP z7si10668080wiu.91 - gsmtp

$ telnet alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
Trying 74.125.137.26...
Connected to alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP s32si20071376yhj.55 - gsmtp

-1
Claus

sendmail.sendmail?
I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the sendmail file is in /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating. Is there some configuration remaining or do I just need to rename the file to sendmail? Thanks Dan DeLion <noemail@northpole.nowhere> wrote: > I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the > sendmail file is in > /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail > I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating. Is there some > configuration remaining or do I just need t...

Sendmail Deferred and times out with mail server
I have a linux box that sits in our Cisco PIX DMZ and relays mail to our internal Exchange server. Problem I have is that sometimes it relays fine, other times we get a 'Connection timed out with mail.unix.com'. Here is a snippet from my logfile of a email I recently sent: Jan 6 11:36:42 myhost sendmail[4136]: j06GagkR004136: from=root, size=62, class=0, n rcpts=1, msgid=<200501061636.j06GagkR004136@myhost.unix.com>, relay=root@loca lhost Jan 6 11:36:43 myhost sendmail[4138]: j06GagU6004138: from=<root@myhost.unix.com>, size=386, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<20050106163...

sendmail does not accept connections from time to time
hi, i have a small problem with a big impact. sometimes after restarting sendmail (by using /usr/sbin/rcsendmail restart or the script in /etc/init.d) it doesn't accept connections. ps -ef |grep acc shows me nothing... then i restart it again an then i can see "sendmail: accpeting connection". i can replicate it by restarting sendmail a couple of times and from time to time it doesn't accept connections i'm running sendmail 8.13 (sendmail-8.13.1-5) on Suse Linux 9.2 **** hosting:/usr/local/confixx # /usr/sbin/rcsendmail restart; ps -ef |grep acc Shutting down S...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With...

sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ???????, ???????
Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? What can I do to fix this? sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? OS Solaris 10 Sendmail 8.13.6 Thanks Jeff spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote: > Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? > What can I do to fix this? > sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: > SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? > > OS Solaris 10 > Sendmail 8.13.6 &...

sendmail - deferred messages
hi, im running sendmail 8.11.6 in a red hat box. i have two ethernet cards: 10.1.1.6 - which communicates with our internal network 192.168.200.253 - which communicates with a 3Com Office Connect 812 DSL modem/router (which has a static/valid IP). Sendmail succesfully receives mail from outside servers. It also accepts mail from our internal network. Problem is all outgoing mail never leaves the queue with a "Deferred - connection timed out with <domain.com>". i successfully telnet port 25 of mail servers, like mx3.hotmail.com, so it is not a firewall problem. also, my is...

Mail::Sendmail cannot connect to localhost but the mail command can
Hello, I have a script that uses Mail::Sendmail, this script works just fine in 4 different boxes (RedHat and Solaris). Nevertheless, there is this Solaris machine where it doesn't work, and this is the error I get in the $Mail::Sendmail::error variable: connect to localhost failed (Connection refused) The thing that puzzles me, is that in the same machine, the mail command works just fine. <snipet> 39 sfx@et2:ver_2> mail andres@monroy.com testing .. </snipet> As far as I know, mail tries to send emails via the localhost SMTP just as Mail::Sendmail does. I also tried c...

Sendmail Deferring mail.
Hi All, I have an issue with sendmail deferring mail when sending, mail is just getting dumped in the mail queue and going no-where.. I'm getting the following error: May 8 21:40:43 wamzl100 sendmail[5723]: p491ehbX005723: from=<root@wamzl100.xxx.com>, size=321, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201105090140.p491edDd005720@wamzl100.xxx.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1] May 8 21:40:43 wamzl100 sendmail[5720]: p491edDd005720: to=xxx@xxx.com.au, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:04, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30010, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2...

Stopping sendmail from listenning (sendmail: accepting connections)
I know (but can't remember how) that there is a way to have sendmail configured only to send outgoing mail only and refusing external connections. Can someone have a clue? thanks, JP. Dale Talcott wrote: > Jean-Philippe Blais <jphblais@zinfo.ca> writes: > >>I know (but can't remember how) that there is a way to have sendmail >>configured only to send outgoing mail and refusing external >>connections. > > We use -d99.100 -q30m on the command line, along with a sendmail.cf with > masquerading and a smart host defined. > Hi, thank you for...

Hello all, I am setting up a very secure Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server version 4 update 6 server. My sendmail version is 8.13.1. My mail server is a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 with its patches. They are both on the same subnet. DNS is on and it will resolve the mail server's name and IP. SSH, SCP, SFTP, and such tools are the only networkable protocols on. NFS if off, MOUNTD is off, PORTMAP is off, and such. Until just recently sendmail was off on the RHEL server as part of the hardening procedure. However part of the auditing requirements is for a mail messag...

sendmail patch overwrites /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Beware: just installed patch 122857-02 (would be 122856 on SPARC) on my machine. Why does this patch overwrite my (custom) /etc/mail/sendmail.cf? This file is marked in the /var/sadm/install/contents database as "e" so should be left alone during patch installation. At least a notice in the patch README would have been nice, but this file just contains useless NOTEs most of the time. Better leave the sendmail.cf alone if it has been changed from the installed one (can be simply checked with the checksum in /var/sadm/install/contents) -- Daniel On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Daniel Rock...

sendmail is deferred connection with other PC in the same net
Hi: I have a sendmail that connect to other MTA's without problems but with a POP3 server in the same net the first devolve deferred:connection refused. Can anyone help me? The PORT 25 is ok iptables are off pop3 service in second server is ok A greeting Elboalo ...

Sendmail, stat=Deferred: Connection Refused
Hi I have sendmail running on my iBook just fine. I do not have it running as a server, I just use it to send out mail from crons and scripts .... where it just creates an instance of sendmail to send the message and stops again. I am trying to setup the same thing on my iMac and I have some success but not complete. When I do not have sendmail running as a server on the iMac and I try to send a message I get the error ..... Oct 31 08:17:19 iMac sendmail[383]:... proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1] blah blah message IDs etc relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Def...

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Fro...

Web resources about - Sendmail Deferred: Connection timed out - comp.mail.sendmail

Police release image in connection with suspicious death
POLICE are wanting to speak with two men to help with investigations into the possibly suspicious death of a man on the Sunshine Coast on Sunday. ...

Melbourne's happiest tram driver brings joy and connection to the daily grind
It's a drizzly, grey Saturday morning on the 109 from Box Hill to Port Melbourne.

FBI mulls connection between Super Bowl, CA fiber optic cable cuttings
... authorities, who have been baffled by more than a dozen attacks on San Francisco Bay Area data lines, are probing whether there is any connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Star Wars Rebels Trailer Reveals Force Awakens Connection - Collider
The new extended trailer for the mid-season premiere of the Disney XD animated series Star Wars Rebels reveals a huge connection to The Force ...

Arrow EP Confirms Connection Between Felicity Smoak and The Calculator
Ever since Calculator was announced as coming on Arrow season four, right around the same time [...]