Sendmail does not send mail (inexperienced user)

Hi everyone,

I am new to using Sendmail. I am trying to figure out why my system no
longer sends emails. It was originally configured to work with Bugzilla
and emails were sent without a problem through sendmail.

The server's static IP address on the network was changed, and now
messages are not sent (or at least not being received by anything). I
tried to manually send through the command line and it looks like there
aren't any problems according to status messages in verbose mode:

[root@venice bin]# mail someone@company.com -v
Subject: testing456
asdf jkl; this is the homerow!
Cc: anotherone@company.com
someone@company.com,anotherone@company.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1]
via relay...
220 venice.company.lab ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.6/8.13.6; Wed, 7 Jun 2006
14:08:58 -0700
>>> EHLO venice.company.lab
250-venice.company.lab Hello venice.company.lab [127.0.0.1], pleased to
meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
250 2.1.0 <root@venice.company.lab>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<someone@company.com>
>>> RCPT To:<anotherone@company.com>
>>> DATA
250 2.1.5 <someone@company.com>... Recipient ok
250 2.1.5 <anotherone@company.com>... Recipient ok
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
250 2.0.0 k57L8wu3028217 Message accepted for delivery
someone@company.com,anotherone@company.com... Sent (k57L8wu3028217
Message accepted for delivery)
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 venice.company.lab closing connection

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mark

imajedinite@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to using Sendmail. I am trying to figure out why my system no
> longer sends emails. It was originally configured to work with Bugzilla
> and emails were sent without a problem through sendmail.
>
> The server's static IP address on the network was changed, and now
> messages are not sent (or at least not being received by anything).

Did you check that the systems that are supposed to be using this
system to send email are aware of and are using this new ip address?
Perhaps you are/should be making use of DNS?

Check the sendmail logs. If its not receiving any email, it wont be
sending any email.

Even if Bugzilla is on the same system, that doesnt mean it has to be
configured to submit its email via command line as opposed to opening a
connection to port 25.

0
jmaimon (679)

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

Sendmail cannot send my mail
I am on a typical home user setup (dialup connection, SMTP server listens on exotic port 25000 and I need to enter a password to connect to the server). The various mailers I have used - outlook, outlook express, mozilla mail - have no problems sending my mail successfully. But when I try to use sendmail all I get is something like: Nov 22 18:56:51 turki sendmail[28724]: iAL4OmF22670: to=cga2001@eml.cc, ctladdr=gavron (500/500), delay=1+19:32:03, xdelay=00:00:10, mailer=relay, pri=815114, relay=b.mx.mailbarn.net. [66.54.152.36], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Defer red: Connection refused by b.mx.mailbarn.net. sendmail proceeds to recycle the mail for the following five days without success. I have read the FAQs, made countless changes to the sendmail.mc file, cycled sendmail at least a hundred times over the last couple of months to no avail. Since on average successfully setting up a mail account in one of the above mailers takes under two minutes, I am beginning to suspect that there is a bug in the version of sendmail I am running - sendmail version 8.11.4 release 3 as generated by Redhat 7.2 from an rpm. Is there a short howto describing what the average home user on a dialup connection should do to make sendmail connect to the outside world? I was thinking of using this as a checklist to make sure I am not leaving out anything. If no such document exists could anyone direct me to sample configuration files that are known to work in this type of setup with this particular versi...

sendmail for only sending mail
hello, i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: # /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com .... Type in message using headers etc .. and that's it, the message would be sent. however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "." does not send the message nor does ^D, nothing. i can't find in sendmail.cf a mention of "termination symbol". any ideas? (i thought it might be related to some terminate symbol, so i tried: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -messagefile=msg.txt which should send message from a file, but still, i get std input waiting for input, and unable to terminate except for ^C.) i am using the fedora distribution by the way. thanks. In article <4100396a-486b-4d25-b2e7-8fcb753a8c63@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com> jack.monflower@gmail.com writes: >hello, >i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... >nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) >so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: > ># /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com >... Type in message using headers etc >. > >and that's it, the message would be sent. >however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail >terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "...

How to prevent local user daemon for sending mails with Sendmail configured as SMTP authentication.
Hello: We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine till I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from daemon@localdomain. Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Jul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20004]: n62EcQgB020004: from=<daemon@190877-dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, size=567, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200907021438.n62EcQPx020001@190877- dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1] How can I block this user from sending mails locally. Please help. -- thanks, Navdeep "nippy" <nav842003@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3bb6901f-51c2-4e00-97c2-df1ef3e209c5@z34g2000vbl.googlegroups.com... > Hello: > We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with > virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine > till > I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our > sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from > daemon@localdomain. > > Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: > > ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, > relay=[127.0.0...

Sendmail sending user@domain.com to my local machine instead of my mail server.
Hi All I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. It works when I send out mails to username@gmail.com or username@yahoo.com, etc. But when I send out mails to username@abc.com, the mails get sent to itself, i.e. machine A1. And the maillog shows that the Local mailer was called to send the mail instead of the ESMTP mailer. I have other Freebsd machines, and have no problem sending mails to username@abc.com. I've tried everything, including copying all the files in /etc/mail from my other working Freebsd machines to machine A1, and do a make, make install, make restart. But machine A1 still calls the local mailer to deliver mails addressed to @abc.com. Machine A1 is acting as if it is the mail server for the domain. I don't have local-domains, local-host-names, files, etc. I just use the original sendmail.com.mc file. Can anybody help? Thank you very much in anticipation. Gui cmgui2@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All > > I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. > I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails > occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server > for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. > > It...

How to configure sendmail to send mails
FUP from comp.lang.python Am Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 15:38:25 UTC+2 schrieb Ferrous Cranus: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 5/9/2013 4:29 =CE=BC=CE=BC, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 feedth= etroll =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >>> uses DoveCot as enaled mail server but i have no idea how to >>> setip up to work. >>> i cannot connect to it via my python script. >> OK, I should have been more exact: >> To send mails you need a "smtp-server" (MTA - Mail Transfer Agent, >> Message Transport Agent) like postfix, exim, sendmail, ... >> >> DoveCot is good for "reading" mail (=3D"mailbox management", "pop3(s)", >> "imap(s)"). You cannot send mails using DoveCot. (You can use a >> WebMailService to access DoveCot for reading and a MTA for sending mails= ..) >> >> So you have to find out, which MTA you installed (you have root access, >> don't you) and configure it. >> >> But this is (like so often) becoming extremely offtopic. >=20 > i as root just inatslled >=20 > sendmail and mailx. i have edited the ~/.mailrc to use: > > nikos@superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# cat ~/.mailrc > account gmail { > set smtp-use-starttls > set smtp=3Dsmtp://smtp.gmail.com:587 > set smtp-auth=3Dlogin > set smtp-auth-user=3Dmay)gmail > set smtp-auth-password=3Dmy_gmail_pass_not_stupid_enough_to_w...

Sendmail refuses to send mail
Hi, only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Thanks in advance! --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- newbie_at_sendmail wrote: > only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. > Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). > Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. > > What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Start by posting some log entries from an email that is bouncing. I would also be tempted to think about sniffing the SMTP traffic. However seeing as how the message is being rejected with a 4xx series code, it should still be in a mail queue on your system (presuming that it is the system your server is passing the message off to th...

Sendmail not sending mails immediately
Hello, We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails and we would like those mails to be sent immediately. Currently there are sitting in the queue a few minutes and then they get sent. I didn't configure anything differently no that box. And sendmail is running as the following: root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m My question now is: how do I configure sendmail to send immediately mails ? Regards > root 282 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m > smmsp 283 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m Replace -q15m with -q1s Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. I should add that -q1s implies that sendmail will process the mail queue every single second... so it's unnecessary overhead. I suggest you try with -q1m so it's once every minute... it's not too bad, but it could still be too much overhead for your system. Try to find a compromise between response times and overhead. I suggest you read the sendmail manual page for further information about the command line options... Sincerely, Francesco -- To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address. Syn <syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com> writes: >We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails an...

send mail without.. sendmail ?
It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon running? Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more than I can handle as a part time admin. Thanks, bl8n8r bad_knee <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote: > It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run > sen...

Probs in sending mail with sendmail service
Hi I am trying to setup sendmail service for my bugzilla server... installed and configured sendmail service. Here I am able to send mails with telnet <mysite> 25 successfully... But When I try to send mails with sendmail -v <mymailid> the mails are not getting delivered to the destination id... Following is the transcript: ---------------------------- [root@bug mail]# sendmail -v srinivas_matta@yahoo.com test test est .. srinivas_matta@yahoo.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:29:29 +0530 >>> EHLO localhost.localdomain 250-localhost.localdomain Hello bug [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250-DSN 250-ETRN 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 250-DELIVERBY 250 HELP >>> MAIL From:<root@localhost.localdomain> SIZE=14 AUTH=root@localhost.localdomain 250 2.1.0 <root@localhost.localdomain>... Sender ok >>> RCPT To:<srinivas_matta@yahoo.com> >>> DATA 250 2.1.5 <srinivas_matta@yahoo.com>... Recipient ok 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself >>> . 250 2.0.0 l3GCxT6F002212 Message accepted for delivery srinivas_matta@yahoo.com... Sent (l3GCxT6F002212 Message accepted for delivery) Closing connection to [127.0.0.1] >>> QUIT 221 2.0.0 localhost.localdomain closing connection Tail of /var/log/maillog: ------------------------- Apr 16 18:29:...

sendmail only accepting mail from local users
I've got a newbie question that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me. I had to change the smtp port Sendmail was listening on to 587 last night due to SBC/Yahoo's port blocking. That was the only option I changed. Then about an hour later Sendmail stopped accepting mail from external users, but from local users it worked fine. I can connect and send email to anyone of the local users from my user account with a mail client. The maillog reads: Mar 11 12:36:20 server sendmail[90351]: j2BKaJD90306: to=<thunderbird@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<steven@myotherdomain.com&...

How to send mail without sendmail running?
I'm positive that I've sent email from a Linux system before, WITHOUT sendmail running. When I tried to do this on a Fedora Core 1 box running sendmail 8.12, I could not send email to anyone on the localhost, or to an outside domain. Is there a way to configure sendmail so that it's not running, but will still allow sending email to external domains, other users on that host, mail from cron jobs, etc.? -Thanks Fred <itfred@cdw.com> writes: >I'm positive that I've sent email from a Linux system >before, WITHOUT sendmail running. When I tried to do >this on a Fedora Core 1 box running sendmail 8.12, I >could not send email to anyone on the localhost, or >to an outside domain. Is there a way to configure >sendmail so that it's not running, but will still >allow sending email to external domains, other users >on that host, mail from cron jobs, etc.? The best solution is to run a sendmail daemon listening *only* on 127.0.0.1 . That is probably the fedora default configuration. If you want it to run the old way, then chmod 4555 sendmail rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or rename to submit.cf.dist On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:29:27 +0000, Neil W Rickert wrote: > The best solution is to run a sendmail daemon listening > *only* on 127.0.0.1 . That is probably the fedora default > configuration. > > If you want it to run the old way, then > > chmod 4555 sendmail > rm /etc/mail/submit.cf ### or ...

q How do I limit a user to send mail not to exceed 5 mails?
Hi, In sendmail 8.9.11, how could I limit user to send mails not to exceed to a certain number to remote mail server? e.g., the user can only send mails outside at most to 5 persons, but for the internal, it's not limited. Any help will be appreciated. Jason ...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

Send mail without running sendmail
I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get an error stating "Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]" in maillog file. Can somebody advise how I can point to external SMTP server for mail sending? Thanks. Karan wrote: > I would like to know how I can send mails out from my Linux machine > (RedHat 9) without running sendmail services. > > In specific, when I execute "mail abc@yahoo.com < /tmp/logfile", I get &...

sendmail refuse mail to specific users
we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a way to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched refuse the mail ? f825_633 wrote: > we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants > which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. > > This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting > mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a way > to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched refuse > the mail ? access database. -- Knute Johnson email s/nospam/knute2009/ -- Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------ Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access Knute Johnson wrote: > f825_633 wrote: >> we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants >> which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. >> >> This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting >> mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a >> way to have sendmail check a list and if a partic...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Cant send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
I use the netstat to get the following information: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:109 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 ...

Sendmail is not receiving mail for local users
Hello, My AIX 5.2L box can't receive any e-mail addressed to local users and my var/spool/mqueue is filling with mail files. I've tried: sendmail -bi hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. dbm map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. root /etc/mail > ls -l total 136 -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 1424 Oct 13 10:21 aliases -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 12288 Oct 13 08:59 aliases.db -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 46645 Oct 14 13:17 sendmail.cf -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 34 Oct 13 08:59 sendmail.pid root /etc/mail > newaliases hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. dbm map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. root /etc/mail > chmod 664 * root /etc/mail > newaliases /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: WARNING: dangerous write permissions newaliases: cannot open /etc/mail/aliases: Grou...

Web resources about - Sendmail does not send mail (inexperienced user) - comp.mail.sendmail

Management : What are common mistakes that new or inexperienced managers make?
Three things (more or less) you would have done differently your first few weeks on the job in managing your team? (i.e.

Everest: Nepal bans inexperienced climbers
... on the world’s highest peak Mount Everest anyway. Nepalese authorities announced this week they plan to introduce regulations which ban inexperienced ...

Inexperienced Brisbane Lions buckle against workmanlike Sydney Swans
New Brisbane coach Justin Leppitsch is being forced to take a very long term approach, but in the meantime his Lions were no match for the Sydney ...

State of Origin: NSW Blues prepare to attack inexperienced Queensland backs as they head to enemy territory ...
The Blues are set to go after Queensland's inexperienced backline including Will Chambers and Dane Gagai.

Penashue's 'inexperienced volunteer' addresses ineligible donations issue
This week on The House, Evan Solomon talks to Peter Penashue's former campaign manager and official agent, Reg Bowers, the man the now former ...

Inexperienced drivers News - Autoblog
inexperienced drivers news, articles, stories and information from 2010-06-07.

Inexperienced Orioles ready to cash in on Nelson Cruz's postseason success
When the Orioles signed Nelson Cruz to a club-friendly one-year, $8 million deal in February, executive vice president Dan Duquette was quick ...

South Korea ferry 'steered by inexperienced third mate'
... unfamiliar with the waters where the accident occurred, officials say. The South Korean ferry that sank on Wednesday was steered by an inexperienced ...

Will Obama’s Inexperienced, ‘Controversial’ Deputy OMB Director Heather Higginbottom Take Jack Lew’s ...
With less than a month to go before President Obama is required by law to submit a budget to Congress (February 6th), Mr. Obama’s decision today ...

Exclusive — Jeb Bush Slams Inexperienced First-Term Senator Marco Rubio on Breitbart News Daily: ‘He ...
Exclusive — Jeb Bush Slams Inexperienced First-Term Senator Marco Rubio on Breitbart News Daily: ‘He Hasn’t Even Traveled to Iraq’