sendmail only accepting mail from local users

I've got a newbie question that I'm hoping someone can shed some light
on for me. I had to change the smtp port Sendmail was listening on to
587 last night due to SBC/Yahoo's port blocking. That was the only
option I changed. Then about an hour later Sendmail stopped accepting
mail from external users, but from local users it worked fine. I can
connect and send email to anyone of the local users from my user
account with a mail client.

The maillog reads:
Mar 11 12:36:20 server sendmail[90351]: j2BKaJD90306:
to=<thunderbird@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<steven@myotherdomain.com>
(1008/100
1), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=30024,
relay=local,

But when I send from my Gmail account to one of the users' accounts the
mail dissappears.

Load averages on the server are well below maximum now, but were over
the maximum last night.
I've rebooted.
I'm out of ideas.

Is there another setting for maillog to be more verbose so that I can
see why the email from external users is dissappearing.

Thanks for any advice.

Steven

 wrote:
> I've got a newbie question that I'm hoping someone can shed some light
> on for me. I had to change the smtp port Sendmail was listening on to
> 587 last night due to SBC/Yahoo's port blocking. That was the only
> option I changed. Then about an hour later Sendmail stopped accepting
> mail from external users, but from local users it worked fine. I can
> connect and send email to anyone of the local users from my user
> account with a mail client.

> But when I send from my Gmail account to one of the users' accounts the
> mail dissappears.

What's in the logfile? Does the mail arrive at all?

If you changed the port, how did you convice Gmail to use
the new port?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

There's nothing in maillog, but maybe the log file could be made more
verbose? I don't know how to do that. The only entry is from an email
from a local user to another local user. This is the only mail that
arrives--from one local user to another. Their accounts are in the
virtuser table. This configuration manages a few different domains.
It's done so flawlessly for a few years.

from the logfile:
Mar 11 12:36:20 server sendmail[90351]: j2BKaJD90306:
to=<thundebird@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<steven@myotherdomain.com>
(1008/100
1), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=30024,
relay=local, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

The email from my gmail account to a local user doesn't arrive at all
(no external email is arriving at all). Gmail is not doing any talking
to my server.

Thanks for any help,
Steven

 wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome ... but: You didn't answer the main question:

If you changed the port, how did you convice Gmail to use
the new port?

PS: You can increase the LogLevel (see doc/op/op.*) to
log all connections etc. (12 or higher).
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
0
Claus
3/12/2005 2:50:27 AM
>You're welcome ... but: You didn't answer the main question:

>If you changed the port, how did you convice Gmail to
>use the new port.

Maybe I don't understand the question. Are you asking how am I using
Gmail as a client on my server? I'm not. I'm using Gmail as an outbound
email server (to troubleshoot this problem). Gmail doesn't talk to my
server, or act as a client to my server. We're using Thunderbird as our
email client for all the accounts on this server.

I haven't changed the pop3 port. It's still 110.

My server is using port 587 for its smtp mail because of the SBC/Yahoo
port blocking for DSL customers.

Still no email arrives at all on this server. Relaying local users'
email from one to another works, but nothing from the outside world
arrives.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:23:36 -0800, steven.vargas wrote:

> My server is using port 587 for its smtp mail because of the SBC/Yahoo
> port blocking for DSL customers.
>
> Still no email arrives at all on this server. Relaying local users'
> email from one to another works, but nothing from the outside world
> arrives.

OK, your server is listening on Port 587.  This is a non-standard port, no
one out there sends email on port 587.  How is anyone going to know how to
send you email?

Your front door is locked, but one of the attic windows around back,
behind the big tree, is open. How are your guests going to come in?

--
Civil Engineer for hire - http://www.seiner.com/engineer.html

use munged address above to email me
SpamTrap DoMeNow@seiner.com

0
yan (1424)
3/12/2005 3:29:51 PM
steven.vargas@gmail.com wrote:

> My server is using port 587 for its smtp mail because of the SBC/Yahoo
> port blocking for DSL customers.
>
> Still no email arrives at all on this server. Relaying local users'
> email from one to another works, but nothing from the outside world
> arrives.

first, I hope you ADDED port 587, and are still supporting port 25 for
mail that arrives from other sources.

You did tell those users on SBC to use port 587, and they changed it
in their mail programs, yes?

-- Gary Breuckman
0
puma1 (4)
3/12/2005 4:57:27 PM
yep, I added port 587, and still support port 25. All of the users on
this server are SBC/Yahoo DSL customers, so they were blocked

I was researching cases where people could receive email but not send
email, and found the mention on SBC about using port 587.
http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=4640
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2476.html

Now, I'm experiencing the opposite problem of being able to send mail,
but not receive mail from the outside world.

steven.vargas@gmail.com wrote:

> yep, I added port 587, and still support port 25. All of the users on
> this server are SBC/Yahoo DSL customers, so they were blocked

Back when I did much the same thing, port 587 was already used by sendmail
for ESMTP ??

Anyway, I added a port 3325, up in the area of ports used for remote access
but not assigned to anything, I did THIS in the sendmail.cf,

# SMTP daemon options
O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E
O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA2, Port=3325

The first two lines were there already, for port 25 (the default when you
don't specify a port) and ESTMP on 587.

And then, of course, you need to tell the client to use port 3325 in his
email program.

-- Gary Breuckman

0
puma1 (4)
3/13/2005 9:04:46 PM
 wrote:
> yep, I added port 587, and still support port 25. All of the users on
> this server are SBC/Yahoo DSL customers, so they were blocked

> Now, I'm experiencing the opposite problem of being able to send mail,
> but not receive mail from the outside world.

Get a different ISP/contract. If port 25 is blocked, you won't get
e-mail.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
0
Claus

Sendmail is not receiving mail for local users
Hello, My AIX 5.2L box can't receive any e-mail addressed to local users and my var/spool/mqueue is filling with mail files. I've tried: sendmail -bi hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. dbm map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. root /etc/mail > ls -l total 136 -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 1424 Oct 13 10:21 aliases -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 12288 Oct 13 08:59 aliases.db -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 46645 Oct 14 13:17 sendmail.cf -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 34 Oct 13 08:59 sendmail.pid root /etc/mail > newaliases hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. dbm map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. root /etc/mail > chmod 664 * root /etc/mail > newaliases /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: WARNING: dangerous write permissions newaliases: cannot open /etc/mail/aliases: Grou...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 of these messages in syslog during the time of the incident; Jun 12 09:02:04 peace sendmail-mta[22621]: j5CD04jr022619: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:03:03 peace sendmail-mta[23982]: j5CD13Ef023979: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:04:36 peace sendmail-mta[26086]: j5CD2aaO026076: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:05:38 peace sendmail-mta[27455]: j5CD3bKd027452: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:01 peace sendmail-mta[27939]: j5CD411x027931: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:16 peace sendmail-mta[28248]: j5CD4GmD028243: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 8 S root 8888 1 0 49 20 69174...

sendmail/cyrus accepts mails for "unknown users"
Hi, the info-cyrus maillingliste told me to place my question here: I'm runnung sendmail 8.12.3 (Debian woody standard package) with cyrusv2mailer (cyrusv2.m4,v 1.1 2002/06/01) and cyrus 2.1.17 (backport from http://people.debian.org/~hmh/). Today I had a heavy spam attack caused by the fact, that sendmail accepts mails for non existing users (all addresses are defined in aliases or virtusertable). Emails those unknown accounts on local domains (local-host-names) will be accepted and than(!) bounced. Is there a way to stop/reject these mails at "rcpt to: user unknown"-point? Thanks, Marcus Hi, Marcus Schopen wrote: > Hi, > > the info-cyrus maillingliste told me to place my question here: > > I'm runnung sendmail 8.12.3 (Debian woody standard package) with > cyrusv2mailer (cyrusv2.m4,v 1.1 2002/06/01) and cyrus 2.1.17 > (backport from http://people.debian.org/~hmh/). > Today I had a heavy spam attack caused by the fact, that sendmail > accepts mails for non existing users (all addresses are defined in > aliases or virtusertable). Emails those unknown accounts on local > domains (local-host-names) will be accepted and than(!) bounced. Is > there a way to stop/reject these mails at "rcpt to: user > unknown"-point? if you really have all your users in virtusertable (those with local mailboxes too) you can do this: virtusertable: # for these users we accept mails (and maybe redirect) user1@domain.c...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Sendmail sending user@domain.com to my local machine instead of my mail server.
Hi All I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. It works when I send out mails to username@gmail.com or username@yahoo.com, etc. But when I send out mails to username@abc.com, the mails get sent to itself, i.e. machine A1. And the maillog shows that the Local mailer was called to send the mail instead of the ESMTP mailer. I have other Freebsd machines, and have no problem sending mails to username@abc.com. I've tried everything, including copying all the files in /etc/mail from my other working Freebsd machines to machine A1, and do a make, make install, make restart. But machine A1 still calls the local mailer to deliver mails addressed to @abc.com. Machine A1 is acting as if it is the mail server for the domain. I don't have local-domains, local-host-names, files, etc. I just use the original sendmail.com.mc file. Can anybody help? Thank you very much in anticipation. Gui cmgui2@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All > > I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. > I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails > occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server > for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. > > It...

sendmail stops processing mails from list if one unknown local user is present
Hi there, I'm running out of ideas and desperatly hope someone can show me what I can do I've set up a new mailserver running sendmail 8.14.7 on OpenSuSE 13.1, having had sendmail 8.13 before. When I send mail to a list address, which is a valid mail address found in our LDAP resolving to three different addresses one of which is a local address (@mydomain) with an invalid alias (user unknown) sendmail rejects the mail with "User unknown" and doesn't process the other two valid addresses (not local). Instead it waits until timeout. It seems to clear the &q...

How to prevent local user daemon for sending mails with Sendmail configured as SMTP authentication.
Hello: We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine till I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from daemon@localdomain. Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Jul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20004]: n62EcQgB020004: from=<daemon@190877-dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, size=567, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200907021438.n62EcQPx020001@190877- dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1] How can I block this user from sending mails locally. Please help. -- thanks, Navdeep "nippy" <nav842003@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3bb6901f-51c2-4e00-97c2-df1ef3e209c5@z34g2000vbl.googlegroups.com... > Hello: > We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with > virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine > till > I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our > sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from > daemon@localdomain. > > Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: > > ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, > relay=[127.0.0...

Restricting local users from sending external mail but allow sending mail to internal LAN users.
Hi, This problem is asked earlier on this list. I am trying to follow as per replies. I am using Redhat Linux 9.0 server with sendmail. I have entered follwoing in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file as directed : ######## LOCAL_CONFIG F{Internal}/etc/mail/intern.only LOCAL_RULESETS SLocal_check_rcpt # get sender address and canonify it R$* $: $1 $| $>3 $&f R$* $| <> $@ OK <> is always ok R$* $| $={Internal} <@$=w.> $: $1 luser@local.host? R$* $| $={Internal} $: $1 luser? R$* $| $* $@ OK someone else R$* $: $>3 $1 check recipient R$+<@$=w.> $@ OK local? ok R$+<@$+> $#error $@ 5.1.8 $: "551 sorry luser your boss does not like you" ######## I have created file '/etc/mail/intern.only' with username as follows : ####### adsnat ########## my '/etc/mail/access' file is as follows : ######### Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf file for a description # of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file) # The /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf is part of the sendmail-doc # package. # # by default we allow relaying from localhost... localhost.localdomain RELAY localhost RELAY 127.0.0.1 RELAY adsnat RELAY ######### then gave commands as follows : m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf cp /etc/mail/sendmail.cf /etc/sendmail.cf Overwrite /etc/sendmail.cf? y and tried to send mail to outside...

sendmail should not deliver mails locally
Hi all, how can I tell sendmail to stop delivering mails locally? If my domain is XXX.XX and php sends a mail on this server to AB@XXX.XX it should query the MX record for XXX.XX and deliver it to the domain listet in the MX record and not locally. is this possible? partynet.at wrote: > how can I tell sendmail to stop delivering mails locally? > If my domain is XXX.XX and php sends a mail on this server to AB@XXX.XX > it should query the MX record for XXX.XX and deliver it to the domain > listet in the MX record and not locally. Make sure it's not in class {w}. See cf/README about: | ACCEPTING MAIL FOR MULTIPLE NAMES | and confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES DontProbeInterfaces -- Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous article(s) at the end because it's annoying, shows that the poster is too lazy to trim his article, and it's wasting my time. ...

Sendmail does not send mail (inexperienced user)
Hi everyone, I am new to using Sendmail. I am trying to figure out why my system no longer sends emails. It was originally configured to work with Bugzilla and emails were sent without a problem through sendmail. The server's static IP address on the network was changed, and now messages are not sent (or at least not being received by anything). I tried to manually send through the command line and it looks like there aren't any problems according to status messages in verbose mode: [root@venice bin]# mail someone@company.com -v Subject: testing456 asdf jkl; this is the homerow! Cc: anotherone@company.com someone@company.com,anotherone@company.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... 220 venice.company.lab ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.6/8.13.6; Wed, 7 Jun 2006 14:08:58 -0700 >>> EHLO venice.company.lab 250-venice.company.lab Hello venice.company.lab [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250-DSN 250-ETRN 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 250-DELIVERBY 250 HELP >>> MAIL From:<root@venice.company.lab> SIZE=88 AUTH=root@venice.company.lab 250 2.1.0 <root@venice.company.lab>... Sender ok >>> RCPT To:<someone@company.com> >>> RCPT To:<anotherone@company.com> >>> DATA 250 2.1.5 <someone@company.com>... Recipient ok 250 2.1.5 <anotherone@company.com>... Recipient ok 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself >>> . 250 2.0....

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

sendmail refuse mail to specific users
we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a way to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched refuse the mail ? f825_633 wrote: > we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants > which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. > > This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting > mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a way > to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched refuse > the mail ? access database. -- Knute Johnson email s/nospam/knute2009/ -- Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------ Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access Knute Johnson wrote: > f825_633 wrote: >> we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants >> which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. >> >> This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting >> mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a >> way to have sendmail check a list and if a partic...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate file). > > thanks You can easily change it in per user ~user/.procmailrc or global /etc/procmailrc http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3 Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)? -- [en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ Netcraft Site Rank: 462490 Thanks for replying Andrzej. But, this does not answer my question. I want mails in my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and not mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox is stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there are 5 files in my mail directory. I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com>...

Is it possible to allow accepting mail from some users and rejecting mails from rest .
Hi, I am using sendmail on of Redhat Linux 9.0 working properly for LAN as well as Internet. I have a problem in which I want to set a permission in which user will receive emails from some users(Outside) only and emails from rest(Outside) will be restircted. Also user can send email to some users(Outside) and will not be allowed to send emails to rest(Outside). Thanks for support. ...

sendmail accept mail even if not the MX
Helo, I want my sever to accept mail event if it's not the MX pointed by the DNS record. (mail are first filtred by the real MX record). Hown can I do ?? System : Redhat 9 Sendmail 8.12.8 Best regards hugues On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:01:04 +0100 Hugues Lepesant wrote: > I want my sever to accept mail event if it's not the MX pointed by the > DNS record. (mail are first filtred by the real MX record). > > Hown can I do ?? No DNS MX record is needed. If the Sendmail feels resonsible for the domain (local-host-names) it will accept the incoming mails for processing. If the MX host is Sendmail too, use the mailertable to pass the mail over to the second Sendmail host. > System : Redhat 9 > Sendmail 8.12.8 Hope all updated. > hugues Alexander -- Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999 PGP fingerprint: 2307 88FD 2D41 038E 7416 14CD E197 6E88 ED69 5653 ...

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> To: <amit@www.domainname.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) This is a MIME-encapsulated message --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com The original message was received at Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) from localhost [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <amitka@gmail.com> (reason: 550 Host unknown) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 5.1.2 <amitka@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.domainame.com: host not found) --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; www.domainname.com Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; amitk...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

Sendmail accepting email to mail@somehosteddomain.com
I have YET to figure out what in the world is going on here. I get mail fine. BUT if someone sends an email to mail@somehostedomain.com it gets put in my roots email. Any other non user email such as john@somehostedomain.com or stupid@somehostedomain.com gets returned with an error of user unknown. It could be mail@ANYofmyhostedomains.com... Little more info :) Fedora Core 4 Sendmail 8.13.6 I DO have a mail alias of mail that gets sent to root...I just did another test and I can send an email to ANY alias @anyofmydomains.com and it gets sent to root...SURELY there is a way to stop this from happening.... illuminationsfx@gmail.com writes: > I have YET to figure out what in the world is going on here. I get > mail fine. BUT if someone sends an email to mail@somehostedomain.com > it gets put in my roots email. Any other non user email such as > john@somehostedomain.com or stupid@somehostedomain.com gets returned > with an error of user unknown. It could be > mail@ANYofmyhostedomains.com... Post results produced by the test command below executed by root: sendmail -d60.5 -d27.2 -bv mail@somehostedomain.com -d60.5 tracking map lookups -d27.2 tracking alias expansion -- [pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ http://www.linkedin.com/in/andfil Before You Ask: http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/B4UAsk-Sendmail.html Andrzej Adam Filip wrote: > illuminationsfx@gmail.com wri...

Restrict Local From: mails on Sendmail Relay Servers
Hi, In our network we have a Sendmail relay server connected on our intranet and also to the public network. I would like to restrict the server to accept incoming mails with source local adresses only from our intranet. Example: Lets supose that our local domain is "local.dom". Considering this scenario I would to configure Sendmail only to accept mails with the "From: *@local.dom" comming from our intranet mail server and reject those comming from Internet apparently sended from a *@local.dom guy. Regards, Jordi ...

send mail without running sendmail locally
Hi, I have 2 linux boxes, one of them running sendmail as MTA for my network, by using which we can send/receive mails to/fro internal/external mail IDs. Now, i want to send a mail from 2nd linux box (non-sendmail) to external domain mail Ids without running sendmail on it and rather, i want to use my sendmail server as RELAY. I configured my sendmail server to relay the 2nd linux box. Now, how can i send mail from 2nd linux box to outside world? Is there any command readily available or do i need to write any scripts for that? TIA Prvnrk Install sendmail, but don't allow it to start up at boot. You might also take smtp out of /etc/services The sendmail executable will be there for mail clients to use for e-mail transmission, but nothing will be listening on port 25 (for inbound). > I have 2 linux boxes, one of them running sendmail as MTA for my > network, by using which we can send/receive mails to/fro > internal/external mail IDs. Now, i want to send a mail from 2nd linux > box (non-sendmail) to external domain mail Ids without running sendmail > on it and rather, i want to use my sendmail server as RELAY. I > configured my sendmail server to relay the 2nd linux box. Now, how can > i send mail from 2nd linux box to outside world? Is there any command > readily available or do i need to write any scripts for that? In short, run Sendmail, or some similar MTA for the sole purpose of sending outbound emails on your behalf. If you want you ...

sendmail accepts mail for non-existing subdomains
Hi! I've domain kemerovo.su that has many third-level subdomains each of which has own MX record, most of records point to my sendmail-powered relay having 'kemerovo.su' record in its relay-domains file. I have no 'relay_hosts_only' feature in my sendmail.mc file, so it receives mail for every subdomain. Sadly, it receives mail for non-existing domains too. Note, there is no asterisk (*) in the kemerovo.su zone. So, sendmail queues incoming mail for non-existing subdomains and then sends DSN with 'host unknown' error. How do I prevent it from doing such BadThing (TM)? The list of subdomains is ever changing so I'd rather not to use FEATURE(relay_hosts_only)... And I don't like FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX) too. Just need to stop it to accept mail for non-existing domains. I run 8.13.3 but may upgrade to 8.14.x if absolutely needed. Eugene Grosbein Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru> wrote: > I've domain kemerovo.su that has many third-level subdomains > each of which has own MX record, most of records point > to my sendmail-powered relay having 'kemerovo.su' record in its > relay-domains file. > > I have no 'relay_hosts_only' feature in my sendmail.mc file, > so it receives mail for every subdomain. Sadly, it receives > mail for non-existing domains too. Note, there is no asterisk (*) > in the kemerovo.su zone. So, sendmail queues incoming mail for > non-existing subdomains and ...

Sendmail, Exchange smart host, and local mail
I have a machine running Sendmail and I'd like it to use an Exchange server for a smart host. It's an AIX machine, but I had the same problem on a Tru64 machine, about a year or two ago, and I never got it resolved. I'd like *all* email to go through the Exchange server - local or not. I have the following lines in my sendmail.cf: DSsmtp:mail.mydomain.com DRsmtp:mail.mydomain.com DHsmtp:mail.mydomain.com For outgoing mail, this works fine. However, when I use the command: mailx -v -s Testing me@mydomain.com I see that sendmail rewrites the address as: me@mail.mydomain.com Apparently, Exchange doesn't like that. Is it possible to get sendmail to leave the address completely alone and just make the Exchange server handle it? Thanks dadoo3002@gmail.com wrote: > I have a machine running Sendmail and I'd like it to use an Exchange > server for a smart host. It's an AIX machine, but I had the same > problem on a Tru64 machine, about a year or two ago, and I never got it > resolved. > > I'd like *all* email to go through the Exchange server - local or not. > I have the following lines in my sendmail.cf: > > DSsmtp:mail.mydomain.com > DRsmtp:mail.mydomain.com > DHsmtp:mail.mydomain.com > > For outgoing mail, this works fine. However, when I use the command: > > mailx -v -s Testing me@mydomain.com > > I see that sendmail rewrites the address as: > > ...

Web resources about - sendmail only accepting mail from local users - comp.mail.sendmail

Report: Facebook To Stop Accepting IPO Orders Tuesday
Facebook will reportedly stop accepting orders for shares in its May 18 initial public offering after the close of business tomorrow (Tuesday, ...

Now Accepting Applications for FbStart: Helping Mobile Startups Grow
We recently announced FbStart, a program that provides mobile developers with free tools and services to help their startups succeed. Initially, ...

Login to Flickr with Your Facebook Account Thanks To Yahoo! Accepting OpenIDs
Flickr now allows its visitors to quickly login or create an account on the popular Yahoo!-owned photo sharing site using their Facebook account. ...

BJ's - now accepting EBT - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore catastrophegirl's photos on Flickr. catastrophegirl has uploaded 7117 photos to Flickr.

Arcade Fire accepting the GRAMMY for Album of the Year at the 53rd GRAMMY Awards - YouTube
Arcade Fire accepting the GRAMMY for Album of the Year at the 53rd GRAMMY Awards

Passport officer denies accepting bribes to help illegal residents, Dubai court hears
The man, who works at Dubai International Airport, was also charged with giving away classified information, Dubai Criminal Court heard.

East West Link authority warned off accepting gifts after bad publicity
Linking Melbourne Authority criticised by public service commission for accepting gifts and hospitality from private firms

An Australian Real Estate Agent Is Accepting Fee Payment In Bitcoin
... currency that has recently become a winner amongst successful capital investors, is taking it up a notch with an Australian realtor now accepting ...

Racing: Just A Blur's National Sprint chances relying on top weights accepting
Canberra trainer Barbara Joseph will be hoping the top-weight's take their place in the listed National Sprint (1400m) to give her runner Just ...

2 Australian States To Start Accepting Participants In 2016 For First Medical Marijuana Trials
Two Australian states to start medical marijuana trials for treatment of cancer and epilepsy, with the first trial to start accepting participants ...