sendmail refuse mail to specific users

we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified
recipiants which then drops into a default mailbox if no
valid user is found.

This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we
are getting mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring,
jkft etc, is there a way to have sendmail check a list and
if a particular name is matched refuse the mail ?
0
f825_633

f825_633 wrote:
> we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants
> which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found.
>
> This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting
> mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a way
> to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched refuse
> the mail ?

access database.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute2009/

nospam8071 (1252)
2/18/2009 10:00:16 PM
Knute Johnson wrote:
> f825_633 wrote:
>> we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants
>> which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found.
>>
>> This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting
>> mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a
>> way to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched
>> refuse the mail ?
>
> access database.

About 15 minutes after I wrote that it dawned on me that I
was talking about the FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients`)

thanks,
0
f825_633
2/18/2009 10:03:14 PM
Several different ways. But ultimately, you will probably not be happy
with any of these solutions. When I used a similar setup, I got 99%
spam, most of them to random addresses. Having a positive list of only
those recipients you actually accept is probably much better.

f825_633 wrote:
> we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants
> which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found.
>
> This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting
> mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a way
> to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched refuse
> the mail ?
0
me4 (19624)
2/19/2009 7:22:21 PM
20 ��� 2009, �������, � 02:22 KRAT, Kevin Keane �������(�):

 KK> Several different ways. But ultimately, you will probably not be happy
 KK> with any of these solutions. When I used a similar setup, I got 99%
 KK> spam, most of them to random addresses. Having a positive list of only
 KK> those recipients you actually accept is probably much better.

There is milter-ahead that checks first if destination side
will accept mail for the target e-mail and only then accepts message body
from the sender. It keeps cache and does not hit destination side too often.
Works just fine for me.

Eugene Grosbein

0
eugen5974 (47)

Sendmail refuses to send mail
Hi, only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Thanks in advance! --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= ...

sendmail only accepting mail from local users
I've got a newbie question that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me. I had to change the smtp port Sendmail was listening on to 587 last night due to SBC/Yahoo's port blocking. That was the only option I changed. Then about an hour later Sendmail stopped accepting mail from external users, but from local users it worked fine. I can connect and send email to anyone of the local users from my user account with a mail client. The maillog reads: Mar 11 12:36:20 server sendmail[90351]: j2BKaJD90306: to=<thunderbird@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<steven@myotherdomain.com&...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Mail refuses to get mail
2 weeks ago I noticed that Mail.app didn't get the mail from 1 of my 2 IMAP accounts (set to collect mail every 5 minutes). The other account, on the same server continued working normally. The problem was solved after a reboot. Yesterday the other account was stuck in the same way. This time a relaunch of Mail.app sufficed. Strange and nasty problem. Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any permanent solutions except switching to another e-mail client? (I am considering Thunderbird now). System: Intel iMac, 24", 2.8 GHz, 4 Gb RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Mail 4.1 -- Zala zala(a...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

"Unreal" mail users in Sendmail+OpenLDAP
Hi everyone, I have FreeBSD 5.4, sendmail+tls+sasl2+ldap-8.14.0, openldap-2.3.34. Everything works fine BUT... PROBLEM. --- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have all of them in one LDAP database. --- How messages will go i.e. to one /var/spool/mail or should I create real directories to every each of mail users? --- What schema should I use? --- I'd like to see an example of "fake" mail users LDIF file. --- Is there any specific configuration of Sendmail and OpenLDAP except standard ones in this special case? Please help me realize this idea? Thank you all. Best regards, Vlad. lechameister schrieb: > --- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have > all of them in one LDAP database. > --- How messages will go i.e. to one /var/spool/mail or should I > create real directories to every each of mail users? I'd suggest using an alternative message store, like Cyrus IMAP. --=20 Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de Phoenix Software GmbH www.phoenixsoftware.de Adolf-Hombitzer-Str. 12 Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 2934 53227 Bonn, Germany Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: = W. Grie=C3=9Fl Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de> writes: > lechameister schrieb: >> --- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have >> all of them in one...

dual sendmail and reject unknown user for mailing lists
We use a dual sendmail with amavisd-new and need to reject unknown users. I tried a setting adapted from the proposal of this posting from 2005: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.sendmail/browse_thread/thread/88cc72d7c4d3a6e/9e762b7cc72d0c5f?lnk=gst&q=Simone+Marx#9e762b7cc72d0c5f Everything's fine, but it doesnt work for my majordomo mailinglist aliases. I have configured three maps: Kaliasp nis -m mail.aliases Kmajordomop hash -m majordomo.aliases Kuserp user -m nis:passwd.byname My Rules in Local_check_rcpt are: SLocal_check_rcpt R$* $: <?> $&{rcpt_addr} R<?> $+ @ $=w $: <@> $1 mark local address R<?> $* @ $* $@ OK ignore remote address R<?> $+ $: <@> $1 mark unqualified user R<@> $+ + $* $: < $(aliasp $1+$2 $: @ $) > $1 + * plussed alias? R<@> $+ + $* $: < $(aliasp $1+$2 $: @ $) > $1 +* alias? R<@> $+ $: < $(aliasp $1 $: @ $) > $1 normal alias? R<@> $+ $: < $(majordomop $1 $: @ $) > $1 majordomo alias? R<@> $+ $: < $(userp $1 $: @ $) > $1 R<@> $+ $#error $@ 5.1.1 $: "550 User unknown" In address testing mode sendmail match all tested mailinglist addresses. But testing the ruleset above for a majordomo address returns every time "User ...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

sendmail/cyrus accepts mails for "unknown users"
Hi, the info-cyrus maillingliste told me to place my question here: I'm runnung sendmail 8.12.3 (Debian woody standard package) with cyrusv2mailer (cyrusv2.m4,v 1.1 2002/06/01) and cyrus 2.1.17 (backport from http://people.debian.org/~hmh/). Today I had a heavy spam attack caused by the fact, that sendmail accepts mails for non existing users (all addresses are defined in aliases or virtusertable). Emails those unknown accounts on local domains (local-host-names) will be accepted and than(!) bounced. Is there a way to stop/reject these mails at "rcpt to: user unknown"-point?...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-( A second big problem - a huge E-Mail providers such as GMail or Mail.ru ignore the "BODY=7BIT" and messages accepted propertly. I find it difficult to prove that the problem should be resolved by the message sender or the postmaster of "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service". Any idea ? -- Regards, Sergey. On 02/18/11 07:42, Sergey wrote: > I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft > ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail I think that's better worded as Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service is lying about being 7-bit. > MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT > > but message is not 7BIT. It contain > > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > ...

sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ???????, ???????
Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? What can I do to fix this? sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? OS Solaris 10 Sendmail 8.13.6 Thanks Jeff spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote: > Does anyone else get this error messages. What does this mean?? > What can I do to fix this? > sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: > SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ???? > > OS Solaris 10 > Sendmail 8.13.6 &...

Can sendmail cc all incoming and outgoing mail to a user like administrator?
Can I configure sendmail so that it will automatic forward a copy of all in and out email to an administrator so that he can keep track all email coming in and going out? How to set? Also my incoming email is using uucp to grab it from ISP and i am using sendmail(using RH9's sendmail) as my email server. Please help! Thanks! chloong chloong wrote: > Can I configure sendmail so that it will automatic forward a copy of > all in and out email to an administrator so that he can keep track all > email coming in and going out? How to set? > > Also my incoming email is using...

Sendmail sending user@domain.com to my local machine instead of my mail server.
Hi All I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. It works when I send out mails to username@gmail.com or username@yahoo.com, etc. But when I send out mails to username@abc.com, the mails get sent to itself, i.e. machine A1. And the maillog shows that the Local mailer was called to send the mail instead of the ESMTP mailer. I have other Freebsd machines, and h...

How to prevent local user daemon for sending mails with Sendmail configured as SMTP authentication.
Hello: We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine till I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from daemon@localdomain. Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Jul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20004]: n62EcQgB020004: from=<daemon@190877-dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, size=567, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200907021438.n62EcQPx020001@190877- dev1.www.netsolutionsindia.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1] How can I block this user from sending mails locally. Please help. -- thanks, Navdeep "nippy" <nav842003@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3bb6901f-51c2-4e00-97c2-df1ef3e209c5@z34g2000vbl.googlegroups.com... > Hello: > We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with > virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine > till > I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our > sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from > daemon@localdomain. > > Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: > > ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, > relay=[127.0.0...

sendmail stops processing mails from list if one unknown local user is present
Hi there, I'm running out of ideas and desperatly hope someone can show me what I can do I've set up a new mailserver running sendmail 8.14.7 on OpenSuSE 13.1, having had sendmail 8.13 before. When I send mail to a list address, which is a valid mail address found in our LDAP resolving to three different addresses one of which is a local address (@mydomain) with an invalid alias (user unknown) sendmail rejects the mail with "User unknown" and doesn't process the other two valid addresses (not local). Instead it waits until timeout. It seems to clear the &q...

odd issue -- sendmail will not write/cat email to users mail file
I am running into a really weird issue where my local accounts wont get any mail. I have set the LogLevel to 30 to see if I could figure out why but nothing is there. It's as if the emails are getting sent to /dev/null The email is accepted and sendmail does say sent but when I look at the /var/spool/mail directory all the accounts have zero bytes. Am I missing something ? Any can help please ? Scott Scott Grayban wrote: > I am running into a really weird issue where my local accounts wont get > any mail. I have set the LogLevel to 30 to see if I could figure out why > but nothing is there. It's as if the emails are getting sent to /dev/null > > The email is accepted and sendmail does say sent but when I look at the > /var/spool/mail directory all the accounts have zero bytes. > > Am I missing something ? Any can help please ? > > Scott never mind -- some idiot screwed with our /etc/procmailrc and made some bad settings in it. ...

Mail Quota on Sendmail
hi i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail quota over sendmail. By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum of 2.1GB's of mailbox. after that the mails start bouncing back & they used to be /var/spool/ mqueue & I want to set it to unlimited(size of my harddrive) for all the users. please help If anyone can guide me in installing the quota. hi please anyone help me in below matter i'll be very thankful to u Anshul Sendmail wrote: > hi > > i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail > quota over sendmail. > By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum > of 2.1GB's of mailbox. > after that the mails start bouncing back & they used to be /var/spool/ > mqueue & I want to set it to > unlimited(size of my harddrive) for all the users. > > please help If anyone can guide me in installing the quota. On Jun 12, 2:27 am, Sendmail <chauhanans...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi > > please anyone help me in below matter > i'll be very thankful to u > > Anshul > > Sendmail wrote: > > hi > > > i'm using sendmail for my office.can some one guide me installing mail > > quota over sendmail. > > By default the mailbox path is /var/spool/mail & it support a Maximum > > of 2.1GB's of mailbox. > > after that the mails start bouncing b...

mail function and sendmail
Hi all, The PHP manual states that: "The Windows implementation of mail() differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a network socket (which can either on the localhost or a remote machine). " Does this mean that the sendmail binary is NOT needed on windows? Also, the manual used to state that: "For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the sendmail binary on your system during compile time. If you use another mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be sure to use the appropriate sendmail wrappers that come with them. PHP will first look for sendmail in your PATH, and then in the following: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/ usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's highly recommended to have sendmail available from your PATH. Also, the user that compiled PHP must have permission to access the sendmail binary." I couldn't find this in the manual anymore, is it still applicable? What if you are downloading the PHP binaries, do you need to worry about this? Thanks Taras Taras_96 wrote: > Hi all, > > The PHP manual states that: "The Windows implementation of mail() > differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't > use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct > sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a networ...

Web resources about - sendmail refuse mail to specific users - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...