sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ???????, ???????

Does anyone else get this error messages.    What does this mean??
What can I do to fix this?
 sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024:
SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ????

OS  Solaris 10
Sendmail 8.13.6

Thanks
Jeff

spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone else get this error messages.    What does this mean??
> What can I do to fix this?
>  sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024:
> SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ??????, ????
>
> OS  Solaris 10
> Sendmail 8.13.6
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

The sender didn't complete a particular phase of the smtp protocol.
Possibly completed the helo xxxxx.xxx but not the mail from:, or
neither. Basically it means they hung up on you. Telnet to your mailer
and experiment with incomplete stanzas, begining with helo..., mail
from:..., rcpt to:..., data...

and drop the connection before completing each stanza. Bonus points for
using log level 15 or greater.

dp
0
dennispe (388)

SYSERR(root): collect: Cannot write (read sendmail/SECURITY)
I've also been bitten by not knowing how to setup sendmail. Here's the error: Oct 8 01:51:39 nednieuws sendmail[29392]: h97Npc1t029392: from=<charles@nednieuws.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=local.xs4all.nl [213.84.95.120] Oct 8 01:52:18 nednieuws sendmail[29679]: h97NqH1t029679: SYSERR(root): collect: Cannot write collect: Cannot write ./dfh97NqH1t029679 (bfcommit, uid=0, gid=60): Permission denied Oct 8 01:52:18 nednieuws sendmail[29679]: h97NqH1t029679: from=<charles@nednieuws.com>, size=761, class=0, nrcpts=1, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MT...

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> To: <amit@www.domainname.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) This is a MIME-encapsulated message --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com The original message was received at Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) from localhost [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <amitka@gmail.com> (reason: 550 Host unknown) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 5.1.2 <amitka@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.domainame.com: host not found) --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; www.domainname.com Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; amitk...

nA61VnA61VYjg020212: SYSERR(root): timeout writing message to mail.xxx.com.: Connection reset by mail.xxx.com
I have some clients from one domain that uses send mail and randomly they get this error nA61VYjg020212: SYSERR(root): timeout writing message to mail.xxxx.com.: Connection reset by mail.xxx.com We our end have barrcuda and then exchange it never hit our exchange box barracuda give delay delver message. I spoke to barracuda and they stated this is on the send mail client end issue However my bosses what me to find out as much information to assistant them to resolve this issue Can anyone help me please I Google with not answer and posted a questions with sendmail with noaanswer yet and its been days. Please anyone can help I be grateful Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:25:36 -0800, frank did cat : > I have some clients from one domain that uses send mail and randomly > they get this error > > nA61VYjg020212: SYSERR(root): timeout writing message to mail.xxxx.com.: > Connection reset by mail.xxx.com > > We our end have barrcuda and then exchange it never hit our exchange box > barracuda give delay delver message. > > I spoke to barracuda and they stated this is on the send mail client end > issue > > > However my bosses what me to find out as much information to assistant > them to resolve this issue > > > Can anyone help me please I Google with not answer and posted a > questions with sendmail with noaanswer yet and its been days. > > Please anyone can...

Root mail/sendmail issue
I recently moved my RHEL3 box to a new subnet and the results of a Cron were once being emailed to root and root was me@myemail.com. Now the cron is trying to email root@localhost.localdomain. What happened? This RH server sits in my DMZ and ONLY relays mail to my mail server which is also on the DMZ. It only scans mail and relays it to the real mail server. So how can I get the root mail to simply relay to my real mail server? Thanks G Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.usenet.com ...

root mail on sendmail 12
I am having trouble getting root mail to work in sendmail 12. The case is a host called node13 inside a load balancer. It only needs to send local mail from root for things like logwatch and other reports. I have this in submit.cf Cwlocalhost DS DnMAILER-DAEMON D{MTAHost}[localhost] DZ8.12.5/Submit O DontProbeInterfaces=True I have this in sendmail.cf Cwlocalhost DSmy.smarthost.us DnMAILER-DAEMON CPREDIRECT DZ8.12.5 O DontProbeInterfaces=True I get relaying denied when I try to send mail from root since it comes from root@node13 address. Do I have to rebuild submit.mc with masquerade for ...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

Sendmail firewall problems
Hi all, I've got sendmail running on my server, but I'm having trouble getting it to send mail out through my firewall (using iptables). My default input policy is 'DROP', but I've used the following rule to allow SMTP connnections: $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -j ACCEPT I've heard that some servers will time out (or wait for a long time) if you silently drop IDENT requests, so I've specifically rejected them with: $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 113 -j REJECT $IPT -A INPUT -p udp --dport 113 -j REJECT If I set my default input policy to ACCEPT, I can telnet to the mail servers which I'm having trouble with (one such server is emr2.eu.uu.net) and initiate an SMTP session. With the default input policy set to DROP, a telnet to the same server on port 25 just hangs (it resolves the IP address correctly, but doesn't go any further). When attempting the connections, I get the following entry in my firewall log repeatedly: Feb 8 15:06:02 p15112495 kernel: firewallIN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:20:ed:58:cf:2c:00:00:5a:9d:07:e6:08:00 SRC=62.189.34.125 DST=217.160.168.154 LEN=64 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=49 ID=14407 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=25 DPT=52161 WINDOW=24616 RES=0x00 ACK SYN URGP=0 netstat reveals that the SMTP connection I'm initiating is going out from port 52161 my side, so I can see that the other server is sending packets back from its port 25 to my port 52161, and they're getting blocked. I think perhaps I need to use -m --s...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate file). > > thanks You can easily change it in per user ~user/.procmailrc or global /etc/procmailrc http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3 Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)? -- [en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ Netcraft Site Rank: 462490 Thanks for replying Andrzej. But, this does not answer my question. I want mails in my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and not mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox is stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there are 5 files in my mail directory. I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com>...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

Sendmail/Sendmail Processes Hanging
Hi there, I have a problem with my RedHat 7.2 (2.4.18-26.7.x kernel) box and sendmail. We have recently been finding many many stuck sendmail processes where seemingly the first process freezes and all later ones then start but fail to log or complete in any way. We were running an old (8.11) version of sendmail so I have upgraded from source to the latest 8.13.6 and replaced the binary and config files ok. The new version runs fine and all seems to work. But... the problem continues. I have attached a copy of the relevant parts of a ps and netstat etc... below. I thought this might be some sort of DoS hence the upgrade and I also tinkered with timeouts but with no joy. One thing that has changed from 8.11 to 8.13 is that under 8.11 as well as cmd read and data states some of the frozen connections were showing "child wait". Any help most gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Dave. SENDMAIL.MC: divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-linux.mc,v 8.1 1999/09/24 22:48:05 gshapiro Exp $') undefine(`UUCP_RELAY') undefine(`BITNET_RELAY') define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true) define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail') define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`mail.ourdomain.com') define(`confTO_COMMAND',`2m') define(`confQUEUE_LA',8) define(`confREFUSE_LA',12) define(`confDELAY_LA',4) define(`confTO_DATABLOCK',`5m') define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',`Sendmail Mailer; $b') OSTYPE(linux)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dn...

[Sendmail] Strange sendmail log...
Hello. I ran linux web+sendmail server for years. Recently i was noticed that my server appointed as spam mail sending black list. When i look into my sendmail log, it was surprising. Some Brizilian spammers are sending massive spam mail via my box. I think there was some hole in user name "apache". Now i'm changed username apache --> apache2, but it is same. Sendmail Version = starting daemon (8.13.4): SMTP+queueing@01:00:00 ---- sendmail log. Jun 3 18:50:47 node sendmail[16954]: j539ojU6016954: from=<>, size=4982, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<20050603141608.BD...

sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc
A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in sendmail.mc? Thank you. Marco Verago. Marco Verago schrieb: > A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in > sendmail.mc? Not a simple question at all, as I can't for the life of it imagine what you are actually wanting to achieve. sendmail.cf is generated from sendmail.mc, so you seem to be creating a sort of circular dependency here. Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de> writes: > Marco Verago schrieb: > > > A simple question: is there a way to include parts...

sendmail and cyrus
until now i have a mailserver (based on SuSE 8.2) that delivers incoming mail to /var/spool/mail and users get it via pop3/qpopper. now i want imap access and installed cyrus. cyrus seems to work, (windows-) clients can access it and create new mailboxes. but incoming mail does not appear there. it still goes to /var/spool/mail. how should this work if it worked? does cyrus fetch the mail from /var/spool/mail or must sendmail deliver it straight to cyrus? cyrus documentation does not loose a word over sendmail and vice versa. what piece of configuration is missing here? does anyone know how ...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-( A second big problem - a huge E-Mail providers such as GMail or Mail.ru ignore the "BODY=7BIT" and messages accepted propertly. I find it difficult to prove that the problem should be resolved by the message sender or the postmaster of "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service". Any idea ? -- Regards, Sergey. On 02/18/11 07:42, Sergey wrote: > I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft > ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail I think that's better worded as Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service is lying about being 7-bit. > MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT > > but message is not 7BIT. It contain > > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > ...

mail function and sendmail
Hi all, The PHP manual states that: "The Windows implementation of mail() differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a network socket (which can either on the localhost or a remote machine). " Does this mean that the sendmail binary is NOT needed on windows? Also, the manual used to state that: "For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the sendmail binary on your system during compile time. If you use another mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be sure to use the appropriate sendmail wrappers that come with them. PHP will first look for sendmail in your PATH, and then in the following: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/ usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's highly recommended to have sendmail available from your PATH. Also, the user that compiled PHP must have permission to access the sendmail binary." I couldn't find this in the manual anymore, is it still applicable? What if you are downloading the PHP binaries, do you need to worry about this? Thanks Taras Taras_96 wrote: > Hi all, > > The PHP manual states that: "The Windows implementation of mail() > differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't > use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct > sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a networ...

sendmail for only sending mail
hello, i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: # /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com .... Type in message using headers etc .. and that's it, the message would be sent. however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "." does not send the message nor does ^D, nothing. i can't find in sendmail.cf a mention of "termination symbol". any ideas? (i thought it might be related to some terminate symbol, so i tried: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -messagefile=msg.txt which should send message from a file, but still, i get std input waiting for input, and unable to terminate except for ^C.) i am using the fedora distribution by the way. thanks. In article <4100396a-486b-4d25-b2e7-8fcb753a8c63@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com> jack.monflower@gmail.com writes: >hello, >i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... >nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) >so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: > ># /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com >... Type in message using headers etc >. > >and that's it, the message would be sent. >however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail >terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "...

Web resources about - sendmail sendmail[12024]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] k560CUvG012024: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from ???????, ??????? - comp.mail.sendmail