sendmail stops processing mails from list if one unknown local user is present

Hi there,

I'm running out of ideas and desperatly hope someone can show me what I can do

I've set up a new mailserver running sendmail 8.14.7 on OpenSuSE 13.1, having had sendmail 8.13 before.

When I send mail to a list address, which is a valid mail address found in our LDAP resolving
to three different addresses one of which is a local address (@mydomain) with an
invalid alias (user unknown) sendmail rejects the mail with "User unknown" and doesn't process the
other two valid addresses (not local). Instead it waits until timeout. It seems to clear the "RCPT To:".
If I enter the "RCPT To" once again it takes the other two addresses and delivers the mail.

We didn't have this behaviour before and I'm running out of ideas.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks, ManU

--- 220 mailhost.mydomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.7/8.14.7/SuSE Linux 0.8; Thu, 10 Jul 2014 16:
42:44 +0200
<-- ehlo host
--- 250-mailhost.mydomain Hello host.mydomain [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], pleased to meet you
--- 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
--- 250-PIPELINING
--- 250-8BITMIME
--- 250-SIZE 150000000
--- 250-DELIVERBY
--- 250 HELP
<-- mail from: validsender@mydomain
--- 250 2.1.0 validsender@mydomain... Sender ok
<-- rcpt to: testlist@mydomain
ldap=Alias0, testlist=>validuser1@exch.mydomain,validuser2@exch.mydomain,nixda@mydomain
--- 050 testlist@mydomain... aliased to validuser1@exch.mydomain,validuser2@exch.mydomain,nixda@mydomain
-berlin.de
alias testlist@mydomain => validuser1@exch.mydomain,validuser2@exch.mydomain,nixda@mydomain
--- 550 5.1.1 nixda@mydomain... User unknown
nixda@mydomain... User unknown
<-- rcpt to: testlist@mydomain
ldap=Alias0, testlist=>validuser1@exch.mydomain,validuser2@exch.mydomain,nixda@mydomain
--- 050 testlist@mydomain... aliased to validuser1@exch.mydomain,validuser2@exch.mydomain,nixda@mydomain
-berlin.de
alias testlist@mydomain => validuser1@exch.mydomain,validuser2@exch.mydomain,nixda@mydomain
--- 050 nixda@mydomain... duplicate suppressed
--- 250 2.1.5 testlist@mydomain... Recipient ok
<-- data
--- 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
from=validsender@mydomain, size=19, class=0, nrcpts=2, msgid=<201407101443.s6AEgiZI016904@host.mydomain>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=host.mydomain [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
--- 050 validuser1@exch.mydomain,validuser2@exch.mydomain... Connecting to exch.mydomain. via esmtp...
SMTP outgoing connect on outmail.mydomain
0
manu

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 o...

dual sendmail and reject unknown user for mailing lists
We use a dual sendmail with amavisd-new and need to reject unknown users. I tried a setting adapted from the proposal of this posting from 2005: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.sendmail/browse_thread/thread/88cc72d7c4d3a6e/9e762b7cc72d0c5f?lnk=gst&q=Simone+Marx#9e762b7cc72d0c5f Everything's fine, but it doesnt work for my majordomo mailinglist aliases. I have configured three maps: Kaliasp nis -m mail.aliases Kmajordomop hash -m majordomo.aliases Kuserp user -m nis:passwd.byname My Rules in Local_check_rcpt are: SLocal_check_rcpt R$* $: <?> $&...

sendmail only accepting mail from local users
I've got a newbie question that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me. I had to change the smtp port Sendmail was listening on to 587 last night due to SBC/Yahoo's port blocking. That was the only option I changed. Then about an hour later Sendmail stopped accepting mail from external users, but from local users it worked fine. I can connect and send email to anyone of the local users from my user account with a mail client. The maillog reads: Mar 11 12:36:20 server sendmail[90351]: j2BKaJD90306: to=<thunderbird@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<steven@myotherdomain.com&...

Sendmail is not receiving mail for local users
Hello, My AIX 5.2L box can't receive any e-mail addressed to local users and my var/spool/mqueue is filling with mail files. I've tried: sendmail -bi hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. dbm map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. root /etc/mail > ls -l...

how to configure sendmail to allow users to mail only in local lan...
Hi, i want to setup sendmail to allow mail traffic in the local lan. The users are not allowed to mail to external addresses. Can sendmail handle this, what do i have to make ?? :-) Christian Take a look at Scanmail for Unix. Theu have an intranet feature that does exactly what you are looking for. You can download it from www.scanmail-software.com John Patenella Healthcare Data Management john@healthcarebiller.com On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Christian Stiefenhofer wrote: > Hi, > > i want to setup sendmail to allow mail traffic in the local lan. > The users are not allowed to m...

sendmail/cyrus accepts mails for "unknown users"
Hi, the info-cyrus maillingliste told me to place my question here: I'm runnung sendmail 8.12.3 (Debian woody standard package) with cyrusv2mailer (cyrusv2.m4,v 1.1 2002/06/01) and cyrus 2.1.17 (backport from http://people.debian.org/~hmh/). Today I had a heavy spam attack caused by the fact, that sendmail accepts mails for non existing users (all addresses are defined in aliases or virtusertable). Emails those unknown accounts on local domains (local-host-names) will be accepted and than(!) bounced. Is there a way to stop/reject these mails at "rcpt to: user unknown"-point?...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qm...

Mailing list with Sendmail ?
Hi, Is there a way, with Sendmail, to retrieve all email addressed received into a TXT file for instance ? That could help me for using this, for mailing list.... how to configure it ? Thanks On Mar 23, 9:06 am, Steve <st...@everybody.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a way, with Sendmail, to retrieve all email addressed received > into a TXT file for instance ? > > That could help me for using this, for mailing list.... > > how to configure it ? > > Thanks check out http://www.klake.org/sma/ ...

Sendmail Exception reached when thousands emails sent in bulk mail script. Has sendmail a email-sent limit for a given process?
Hello, I have explained here my issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/484812/sendmail-exception-reached-when-thousands-emails-sent-in-bulk-mail-script-has-s/484814?noredirect=1#comment540576_484814 Thanks in advance! enicolas.riquelme@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I have explained here my issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/484812/sendmail-exception-reached-when-thousands-emails-sent-in-bulk-mail-script-has-s/484814?noredirect=1#comment540576_484814 > > Thanks in advance! > It would be more convenient for (future) readers of (an archive of) this newsg...

How to prevent local user daemon for sending mails with Sendmail configured as SMTP authentication.
Hello: We have installed sendmail with SMTP authentication on our server with virtual hosting for different domains. Everything was working fine till I installed apache from source which is running as user daemon. Our sendmail server mailqueue is flooded with messages from daemon@localdomain. Following is the log from the sendmail maillog file: ul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20001]: STARTTLS=client, relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Jul 2 09:38:26 190877-dev1 sendmail[20004]: n62EcQgB020004: from=<daemon@190877-dev1.www.ne...

Sendmail sending user@domain.com to my local machine instead of my mail server.
Hi All I have a Freebsd machine running Sendmail. Let's call it machine A1. I am not really using it as a mail server. Just want to send out mails occasionally. I have another machine which is the real mail server for my domain - abc.com, let's call this machine B2. It works when I send out mails to username@gmail.com or username@yahoo.com, etc. But when I send out mails to username@abc.com, the mails get sent to itself, i.e. machine A1. And the maillog shows that the Local mailer was called to send the mail instead of the ESMTP mailer. I have other Freebsd machines, and h...

domain user=user unknown & mails to local user go outbound: I need help ...
Hi Everybody, I have set up a sendmail mail server at home for my small network and I need help for a configuration that is too tricky for me ... Background: I have my own internet domain (@ the german 1&1 webhoster) and use fetchmail to poll that internet server and drop the mails into the boxes on the server at home. I also poll the mails from another server because one of the home user has his own e-mail address @ another domain (vr-web). Problem #1 One of the users has moved to another town so I don't poll the mails anymore and commented out the user entries in the sendmail confi...

mails sent by sendmail were treated as junk mail
Hi there, I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure it to work as my main mailserver which allow POP3 and SMTP connection from outside. My problem is that I cannot send out any mails which appears like sender: xxx@mydomain.com. If I send mail through terminal, my sent-out mail would looks like aaa@hostname.mydomain.com instead of aaa@mydomain.com. hostnam.mydomain.com is a qualified name of my linux box runing sendmail. Second, I configured a openwebmail on this linux box to allow users login from anywhere to manager their mails, and it works fine. However, all the out-going mails se...

Restricting local users from sending external mail but allow sending mail to internal LAN users.
Hi, This problem is asked earlier on this list. I am trying to follow as per replies. I am using Redhat Linux 9.0 server with sendmail. I have entered follwoing in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file as directed : ######## LOCAL_CONFIG F{Internal}/etc/mail/intern.only LOCAL_RULESETS SLocal_check_rcpt # get sender address and canonify it R$* $: $1 $| $>3 $&f R$* $| <> $@ OK <> is always ok R$* $| $={Internal} <@$=w.> $: $1 luser@local.host? R$* $| $={Internal} $: $1 luser? R$* $| $* $@ OK someone else R$* $: $>3 $1 check recipient R$+<@$=w.> $@ OK lo...

Web resources about - sendmail stops processing mails from list if one unknown local user is present - comp.mail.sendmail

Central processing unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
) is the hardware within a computer system which carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetical, logical, ...

Hyatt warns of malware on its payment-processing system
Hyatt Hotels Corp. says it found malicious software on the computer system that processes customer payments, raising the possibility that hackers ...

Conexant Announces New Audio Processing Solutions At CES
At CES, Conexant gave me a demo of some of the audio processing technology that they've been working on. Conexant is a company that probably ...

Common payment processing protocols found to be full of flaws
Stealing PINs and pillaging bank accounts are both trivial.

ImBatch 4.4.0 adds PDF processing support
High Motion Software has shipped ImBatch 4.4.0 , a major update to its free-for-personal-use image batch processing tool. New PDF input support ...

Government "Processing Error" Sinks Housing Reports for Entire Year; Where to From Here?
Huge "Processing Error" in Government Housing Data When I saw some of the upwardly revised GDP estimates in 2015 I thought they were too good ...

Audi turns to Qualcomm power for entertainment, navigation processing
Qualcomm proves its chip-making innovation, announcing a deal at CES where Audi will use its first automotive quality infotainment chipset, the ...

Google patches critical media processing and rooting vulnerabilities in Android
A new batch of security fixes for Android address flaws that could allow attackers to compromise devices via rogue emails, Web pages, and MMS ...

Feds Stop Processing NICS Denial Appeals
Obama Administration Enacts More Gun Control By Misusing FBI Background Check System

Nvidia Ramps Up Processing Power for Self-Driving Cars
With its new Drive PX 2 platform, the GPU maker is offering a computer that can deliver up to 8 teraflops of computing power to autonomous vehicles. ...