STARTTLS=client: file /etc/mail/tls/sendmail-common.key unsafe: Permission denied

I just upgraded from 8.12.3 to 8.12.11
and I get the following errors on startup:
STARTTLS=client: file /etc/mail/tls/sendmail-common.key unsafe:
Permission denied

The permissions for the file are:
-r--------    1 root     smmsp  sendmail-common.key

The permissions for the directory are:
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     smmsp         432 Jan 25 12:39 tls

What is the fix?
I have tried all the obvious group/ownership permissions changes and
can't get it to work...

I ran the debug for sendmail:

sendmail -bs -d44.8
results:
safefile(/etc/mail/submit.cf, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6000, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6000, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 400]         OK
safefile(/etc/mail/relay-domains, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6580, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6580, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 400]         OK
safefile(/etc/mail/service.switch, uid=100, gid=101, flags=6480,
mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=100, gid=101, flags=6580, level=0,
offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 4]   OK
safefile(/etc/mail/service.switch, uid=100, gid=101, flags=6480,
mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=100, gid=101, flags=6580, level=0,
offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 4]   OK
safefile( , uid=100, gid=101, flags=40, mode=660):
safedirpath(., uid=100, gid=101, flags=40, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir .] OK
        No such file or directory
        [final dir . uid 100 mode 42770] Success
safedirpath(/var/spool/mqueue-client, uid=100, gid=101, flags=0,
level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /var/spool/mqueue-client] OK
safefile(/usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf, uid=100, gid=101, flags=1504,
mode=400):
safedirpath(/usr/lib/sasl2, uid=100, gid=101, flags=1504, level=0,
offset=0):
        [dir /usr/lib/sasl2] OK
        No such file or directory
safefile(/usr/lib/sasl2/libsasldb.so.2, uid=100, gid=101, flags=1504,
mode=400):
safedirpath(/usr/lib/sasl2, uid=100, gid=101, flags=1504, level=0,
offset=0):
        [dir /usr/lib/sasl2] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 4]   OK
safefile(/etc/mail/tls/sendmail-server.crt, uid=100, gid=101,
flags=7d85, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail/tls, uid=100, gid=101, flags=7d85, level=0,
offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail/tls] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 40]  OK
safefile(/etc/mail/tls/sendmail-common.key, uid=100, gid=101,
flags=17d85, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail/tls, uid=100, gid=101, flags=17d85, level=0,
offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail/tls] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100400, mode 40]  EACCES
220 xxx.cs.montana.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.11/8.12.11/Debian-1; Sat,
31 Jan 2004 22:03:30 -0700; (No UCE/UBE) logging access from:
()-root@localhost

--Luke
Computer Science System Administrator.
Debian,Mimedefang,Sendmail,Grsecurity,monit,clamav,spamassassin=cool.
0
admin7114 (8)

Lucas Albers wrote:
> I just upgraded from 8.12.3 to 8.12.11
> and I get the following errors on startup:

What do you start? Which command do you use?

> STARTTLS=client: file /etc/mail/tls/sendmail-common.key unsafe:
> Permission denied

> The permissions for the file are:
> -r--------    1 root     smmsp  sendmail-common.key

> The permissions for the directory are:
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     smmsp         432 Jan 25 12:39 tls

smmsp should not be used for anything but clientmqueue
and the sendmail binary.

> I ran the debug for sendmail:

> sendmail -bs -d44.8

> safefile(/etc/mail/submit.cf, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6000, mode=400):

> safefile(/etc/mail/tls/sendmail-common.key, uid=100, gid=101,

It seems you are using the key for the submission program (MSP)
which doesn't run as root.

You should create a different set of (client) certs for it,
otherwise you have to give smmsp group-read permissions
and tell sendmail that it is ok (DontBlame...)
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bvi5ua$m0e$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
Claus,
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
> Lucas Albers wrote:
> > I just upgraded from 8.12.3 to 8.12.11
> > and I get the following errors on startup:
>
> What do you start? Which command do you use?
This was for the msp queue, I will just create another client key.
I just installed off debian unstable, so I will ask the downstream
debian maintainer how he wants to handle this particular key problem.

> You should create a different set of (client) certs for it,
> otherwise you have to give smmsp group-read permissions
> and tell sendmail that it is ok (DontBlame...)

I think I should create a client key. Thanks.
--Luke
0
admin7114 (8)

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate file). > > thanks You can easily change it in per user ~user/.procmailrc or global /etc/procmailrc http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3 Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)? -- [en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ Netcraft Site Rank: 462490 Thanks for replying Andrzej. But, this does not answer my question. I want mails in my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and not mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox is stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there are 5 files in my mail directory. I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com>...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

php mail() not sending to mail Clients (ie, Outlook, Apple Mail, thunderbird, etc..)
I have a send mail script on my site that. The emails are recieved by gmail, and yahoo, but not to mail clients like Outlook, Mail, etc...) Is this a problem with the script, or is it something I must change in php ini file? Thanks in advance for any help. here is the code. (im using it in conjunction with javascript for some AJAX stuff) if(!isset($_GET['action'])) { die("You must not access this page directly!"); //Just to stop people from visiting contact.php normally } /* Now lets trim up the input before sending it */ $name = trim($_GET['name']); //The senders name $to = trim($_GET['maily']); //The senders email address $place = trim($_GET['place']); //The senders email address $subject = "you have recieved mail"; $headers = "From:$name"; $message = "{$name} deemed you worthy of receiving the following information/exchange from Trumpet.\n\n Follow This Link {$place}"; mail($to, $subject, $message,$headers); //a very simple send echo 'contactarea|<p class="sent">Article Sent!</p>'; //now lets update the "contactarea" div on the contact.html page. The contactarea| tell's the javascript which div to update. ?> shybe wrote: > I have a send mail script on my site that. > > The emails are recieved by gmail, and yahoo, but not to mail clients > like Outlook, Mail, etc...) > > Is this a problem with the script, or is it something ...

mails sent by sendmail were treated as junk mail
Hi there, I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure it to work as my main mailserver which allow POP3 and SMTP connection from outside. My problem is that I cannot send out any mails which appears like sender: xxx@mydomain.com. If I send mail through terminal, my sent-out mail would looks like aaa@hostname.mydomain.com instead of aaa@mydomain.com. hostnam.mydomain.com is a qualified name of my linux box runing sendmail. Second, I configured a openwebmail on this linux box to allow users login from anywhere to manager their mails, and it works fine. However, all the out-going mails sent throug openwebmail are treated as junk mail by most mail server like hotmail and yahoo. It was complained as unknown sender(at this case, sender appears aaa@mydomain.com) Does anyone have any experience in such situation or have any ideas how to configure sendmail to solve my problems? My network setting is simply as router -> DMZ zone -> linux box which is runing sendmail. I have a domain, mydomain.com, which is parking at a domain hosting company where my zone file is actually located. I changed the MX record in the zone file so that it points to my static ip address(eg. 10.11.12.113). After some simple changes were done, I can receive any emails sent to my domain, like xxx@mydomain.com. Thanks for any ideas! In article <d57b272d.0405151235.19d0384b@posting.google.com> vbcache@hotmail.com (cerberus) writes: > >I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure ...

Permissions for files in /etc/mail
My configuration (sendmail-8.12.11 on FC2 plus mailscanner-4.31.6-1, starttls, auth) seems to work well, but I'm unsure if the following permissions and ownership are OK: >ls -al /etc/mail -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1814 Apr 13 15:30 access -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 May 29 15:16 access.db -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11937 Sep 24 10:39 aliases -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 Sep 24 11:13 aliases.db -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 15 17:20 domaintable -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 May 29 15:16 domaintable.db -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5588 Apr 15 17:20 helpfile -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 104 Jun 23 23:53 local-host-names -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37 May 29 19:51 mailertable -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 May 29 21:47 mailertable.db -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 920 Apr 15 17:20 Makefile -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25 Jun 23 23:51 relay-domains -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 57784 Sep 24 10:42 sendmail.cf -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7430 Sep 24 10:41 sendmail.mc drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 25 12:20 spamassassin -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 628 Sep 24 12:33 statistics -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39141 Sep 24 10:42 submit.cf -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 998 Sep 15 16:09 submit.mc -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 455 Sep 23 15:08 trusted-users -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 15 17:20 virtusertable -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 May 29 15:16 virtusertable.db K.Sandler -- e-mail: sandler@ujf.cas.cz phone: +420 266173271 address: NPI, 250 68 Rez, Czech Republic In article <cj0...

Sendmail /etc/mail/access
Hi all, sorry for my english, I am from Spain, I hope you understand me, thanks. I have a little but important error in my RH9 with sendmail 8.12.8 and MailScanner, we use this server to filter virus in gateway, this is the configuration : To received mail. World - Internet - FW - MailScanner - Corporate Email Server "Users Mail Boxes" To send mail. Internal Users - Corporate Proxy Server - MailScanner - Corporate Email Server - Internet - World. External Users - FW - MailScanner - Corporate Email Server - Internet - World. The problem are that the internal users arrive with the Proxy IP address and the MailScanner allow relay it, but the external users begin with their IP "dinamic IP" and all days I have to change /etc/mail/access to allow relay for then. I try to set the email addresses of the external users and the domain name of my organization in /etc/mail/access, in /etc/mail/relay-domains the domain name of my organization, but they can not send email through MailScanner. Previously, all users sent email through the corporate email server because in it we have run POPBeforeSMTP and they log in with the pop session. Now the pop server it is the relay of the MailScanner server only and the MailScanner server its SMTP server only. Now we can not use SMTP authenticated. Thanks in advance, best regards. ...

mail.local /var/mail/[username]: Permission denied
Hello all - I'm hoping someone can spot what should be an obvious error in the situation below. I've been looking at it too long and I'm sure I'm overlooking something. I am seeing errors in my outgoing mail server log as below. Some local users are unable to send mail due to reported permission errors. Apparently mail is not being allowed to my local domain(s). This server handles outbound mail only. Sendmail information Version 8.14.3 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF USERDB XDEBUG I upgraded to this version of sendmail - 8.14.3 after this problem surfaced, hoping some of the default permissions would be corrected. Example event log ----------------------------- Oct 8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33832]: m990EqK4033832: Subject:Email.delivery.check Oct 8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33832]: m990EqK4033832: from=<jstretch@mydomain.com>, size=406, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<48ED4CF5.5050006@mydomain.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=port10.net.mydomain.com [66.xxx.xxx.xxx] Oct 8 19:14:52 mailserv mail.local: /var/mail/[user]: Permission denied Oct 8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon[33833]: m990EqK4033832: to=<[user]@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<jstretch@mydomain.com> (1001/1001), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=30651, dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable Oct 8 19:14:52 mailserv mta-daemon...

Hi all, Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd like sendmail to just send out mails but when it receives mails, it should forward it to our pop server. should we use mailertable for this or some other method? thanks for any info ike lozada schrieb: > Hi all, > > Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) > Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd > like sendmail to just send out mails but when it receives mails, it > should forward it to our pop server. should we use mailertable for > this or some other method? yes, we do that too. Just enter your domain in the mailertable, but on the receiving side there must be a mta, too, of course. So both servers should be running, e.g. sendmail. the pop server has to allow relaying of the smtp server, too. Keep your receiving server in brackets in the mailertable entry to prevent dns lookups, like so yourdomain.com smtp:[internalserver.internaldomain.com] Tim Tim Aden <corrodan@netcologne.de> wrote in message news:<c08rl4$3ft$1@newsreader2.netcologne.de>... > ike lozada schrieb: > > > Hi all, > > > > Currently we have 2 machines for mail (a smtp server and a pop server) > > Currently, sendmail accepts and sends out mail for our domain. We'd > > like sendmail to just send out mails but when...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Sendmail /etc/mail/access #2
[...]

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> To: <amit@www.domainname.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) This is a MIME-encapsulated message --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com The original message was received at Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) from localhost [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <amitka@gmail.com> (reason: 550 Host unknown) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 5.1.2 <amitka@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.domainame.com: host not found) --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; www.domainname.com Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; amitk...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 of these messages in syslog during the time of the incident; Jun 12 09:02:04 peace sendmail-mta[22621]: j5CD04jr022619: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:03:03 peace sendmail-mta[23982]: j5CD13Ef023979: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:04:36 peace sendmail-mta[26086]: j5CD2aaO026076: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:05:38 peace sendmail-mta[27455]: j5CD3bKd027452: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:01 peace sendmail-mta[27939]: j5CD411x027931: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:16 peace sendmail-mta[28248]: j5CD4GmD028243: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 8 S root 8888 1 0 49 20 69174...

/etc/mail/access overriding sendmail.cf
Question Would To:*@domain.tld RELAY override sendmail.cf commands? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! USA petition for dissolution of your nation! ...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

mail file keeps growing Sendmail 8.11
I have a problem that keeps reoccuring. Something happens to the /usr/spool/mail/user file that causes it to keep growing in size. When this happens the mail can not be pickup by MS Outlook and the only solution I have found is to delete the file and loose all the mail in the file. If I examine the file I see the exact same messages repeated various times and generally this is several thousand duplicates. It does seem that the reason that Outlook fails is that it does not wait long enough for the system to respond while it tries to process such a huge mail box. What causes it to grow I have not been able to determine but I suspect it is due to a large volume of spam and that once the file gets to certain size Outlook starts to time out and cause the problem. I have seen this happen on multiple machines and multiple mail accounts. Most are running SCO 5.0.5 or 5.0.6 and are using Outlook as the mail reader. For some reason this week has resulted with several differnet systems having this problem and some more then once. It is starting to be a real problem and since the only solution I have is to delete the mailbox I am concerned about what "real" mail is being lost. Darmbrust wrote: > I have a problem that keeps reoccuring. That is never good. Good for troubleshooting, but nothing else. > Something happens to the /usr/spool/mail/user file that causes it to > keep growing in size. When this happens the mail can not be pickup by > MS Outlook ...

Help with sendmail not placing messages in mail log file
System: Apple OS X 10.4.1 Type: client machine, not server version Sendmail: 8.13.4 I have had intermitent problems getting sendmail to log any information to the log file when it runs as a daemon. the problems began with OS X 10.4.0, but after a recent update to the OS and a security update, the problem is no longer intermittent. If I use the mail command at the command line, or when sendmail starts, I see logged messages in /var/log/mail.log, but after the daemons are running mail sent does not log. My question is twofold: 1) what is different about the way that sendmail sends log messages when invoked from a command 'mail -vs Test localuser' and when it is called by a mail client simply opening an smtp port and sending mail commands (ie where the daemon sm-mta would be called)? 2) is anyone else (OS X 10.4) seeing similar dropping of log entries? By the way, the mail log does "work" as the entries such as the logs show: Jun 11 10:36:38 grendal sendmail[12607]: j5BEabwB012607: to=royar, ctladdr=royar (501/20), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay, pri=30036, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (j5BEacsj012608 Message accepted for delivery) Jun 11 10:50:41 grendal sm-mta[12706]: starting daemon (8.13.4): SMTP+queueing@00:05:00 -- Robert Delius Royar The email address is valid as it is written. ...

Making sendmail appear to be a client (MUA?) to upstream mail servers
This may actually be a smart host/relaying issue. I have a linux box that I have set up with a bogus domain (machine_name.city.my_last_name) since I have several boxes, and my dad (and sisters), in other cities has several boxes, but once upon a time they were all on 1 physical LAN. As we moved apart, we adjusted the city name in the domain. In my email clients, I have the reply-to email address set to my public (ISP) email address. I am using IMAP, so that I only need the one email account on my email server box. I use fetchmail to grab my mail from the ISP. When I send email, depending on the destination, some servers accept the mail, but many/most reject because my domain doesn't exist. I tried setting the smart host in the sendmail.cf, but the smart host is rejecting on the domain as well. The rejection emails have an error along the lines of "domain doesn't exist - from domain must exist" (don't have access to an example bounced email at the moment). Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks. Kevin Kevin wrote: > When I send email, depending on the destination, some servers accept > the mail, but many/most reject because my domain doesn't exist. I > tried setting the smart host in the sendmail.cf, but the smart host is > rejecting on the domain as well. The rejection emails have an error > along the lines of "domain doesn't exist - from domain must exist" > (don't have access to an example bounced...

Web resources about - STARTTLS=client: file /etc/mail/tls/sendmail-common.key unsafe: Permission denied - comp.mail.sendmail