Sudden Increase In Failusre Due To Pre-Greeting Traffic

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


I have been running the same sendmail config (FreeBSD 4.11-stable,
sendmail 8.13.8) for many months with no problem.  I am suddenly seeing
a spike in failures due to pre-greeting traffic.  Many of these are
from "legitimate" domains like earthlink and verizon mail server.
Is there something new afoot that might explain this?


-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com
PGP Key:         http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
0
Reply tundra (295) 2/24/2007 7:50:50 AM

See related articles to this posting

Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> writes:

> I have been running the same sendmail config (FreeBSD 4.11-stable,
> sendmail 8.13.8) for many months with no problem.  I am suddenly seeing
> a spike in failures due to pre-greeting traffic.  Many of these are
> from "legitimate" domains like earthlink and verizon mail server.
> Is there something new afoot that might explain this?

0) Have you tried to correlate greeting reject with CBL.abuseat.org
listings? [ when rejected and 2 hours later to give more time for listing]

1) Could you post 5-6 (fresh) names *you* consider to be legitimate?

Would be explanations worth to be checked first:
* new malvare/viral spamvare
* new release of some more popular MTA

-- 
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl
Before You Ask: http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/B4UAsk-Sendmail.html
http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ [orkut,linkedin,xing]
0
Reply anfi2 (1425) 2/24/2007 9:08:35 AM

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have been running the same sendmail config (FreeBSD 4.11-stable,
> sendmail 8.13.8) for many months with no problem.  I am suddenly seeing
> a spike in failures due to pre-greeting traffic.  Many of these are
> from "legitimate" domains like earthlink and verizon mail server.
> Is there something new afoot that might explain this?
> 
> 

I have been gathering information that suggests some of the big houses 
are not playing well with greet-pause or greylisting. So far it's just a 
suggestion, not conclusive, but the evidence is growing.

dp
0
Reply dennispe (388) 2/24/2007 7:25:48 PM

Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> writes:
> 
>> I have been running the same sendmail config (FreeBSD 4.11-stable,
>> sendmail 8.13.8) for many months with no problem.  I am suddenly seeing
>> a spike in failures due to pre-greeting traffic.  Many of these are
>> from "legitimate" domains like earthlink and verizon mail server.
>> Is there something new afoot that might explain this?
> 
> 0) Have you tried to correlate greeting reject with CBL.abuseat.org
> listings? [ when rejected and 2 hours later to give more time for listing]

I am not aware of this site.  I will investigate.
> 
> 1) Could you post 5-6 (fresh) names *you* consider to be legitimate?

Here are a few (of many):

Feb 24 00:05:45 eskimo sm-mta-in[16656]: l1O64grE016656: rejecting commands from iris.acsalaska.net [209.112.173.229] due to pre-greeting traffic
Feb 24 00:07:00 eskimo sm-mta-in[16664]: l1O65vYc016664: rejecting commands from mxpool19.ebay.com [66.135.197.25] due to pre-greeting traffic
Feb 24 02:29:41 eskimo sm-mta-in[998]: l1O8Sc2S000998: rejecting commands from outbound-sin.frontbridge.com [207.46.51.80] due to pre-greeting traffic
Feb 24 05:45:46 eskimo sm-mta-in[5454]: l1OBihpc005454: rejecting commands from mail2.fsys.co.uk [193.82.139.31] due to pre-greeting traffic

Of course, there are many more that are obviously compromised machines sitting at the
end of DSL and cable modem links and greet_pause is doing its job as expected there.

Here's one I turned greet_pause off for and now I get:

Feb 24 13:20:20 eskimo sm-mta-in[12972]: l1OJJGR7012972: sv18pub.verizon.net [206.46.252.154] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA



> Would be explanations worth to be checked first:
> * new malvare/viral spamvare
> * new release of some more popular MTA
> 


-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com
PGP Key:         http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
0
Reply tundra (295) 2/24/2007 7:26:22 PM

In article <64g6b4-0nc.ln1@eskimo.tundraware.com>,
 Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:

> Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> > Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> writes:
> > 
> >> I have been running the same sendmail config (FreeBSD 4.11-stable,
> >> sendmail 8.13.8) for many months with no problem.  I am suddenly seeing
> >> a spike in failures due to pre-greeting traffic.  Many of these are
> >> from "legitimate" domains like earthlink and verizon mail server.
> >> Is there something new afoot that might explain this?
> > 
> > 0) Have you tried to correlate greeting reject with CBL.abuseat.org
> > listings? [ when rejected and 2 hours later to give more time for listing]
> 
> I am not aware of this site.  I will investigate.
> > 
> > 1) Could you post 5-6 (fresh) names *you* consider to be legitimate?
> 
> Here are a few (of many):
> 
> Feb 24 00:05:45 eskimo sm-mta-in[16656]: l1O64grE016656: rejecting commands 
> from iris.acsalaska.net [209.112.173.229] due to pre-greeting traffic
> Feb 24 00:07:00 eskimo sm-mta-in[16664]: l1O65vYc016664: rejecting commands 
> from mxpool19.ebay.com [66.135.197.25] due to pre-greeting traffic
> Feb 24 02:29:41 eskimo sm-mta-in[998]: l1O8Sc2S000998: rejecting commands 
> from outbound-sin.frontbridge.com [207.46.51.80] due to pre-greeting traffic
> Feb 24 05:45:46 eskimo sm-mta-in[5454]: l1OBihpc005454: rejecting commands 
> from mail2.fsys.co.uk [193.82.139.31] due to pre-greeting traffic
> 
> Of course, there are many more that are obviously compromised machines 
> sitting at the
> end of DSL and cable modem links and greet_pause is doing its job as expected 
> there.
> 
> Here's one I turned greet_pause off for and now I get:
> 
> Feb 24 13:20:20 eskimo sm-mta-in[12972]: l1OJJGR7012972: sv18pub.verizon.net 
> [206.46.252.154] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

That's one of the machines that does dictionary attacks for the benefit 
of Verizon's spam detection systems, offloading their costs to every 
domain owner who ever has an address forged into mail sent to VZ users. 
Drop packets from the /24 and you'll be better off. (you won't be able 
to mail VZ addresses either, but you might find that less of a problem 
than it sounds.)


More to your point: the GreetPause detection logs sessions that are 
closed by the client before the greeting identically to fast talkers. A 
lot of sites running qmail and derivatives seem to like very short 
banner timeouts, and so will show up as fast-talkers. If your system 
overloaded and bannering slow because of load issues, you will see a lot 
of legit sites logged. Shaw and MessageLabs are other examples.

-- 
Now where did I hide that website...
0
Reply bill123 (477) 2/25/2007 12:57:42 AM

Bill Cole wrote:
> In article <64g6b4-0nc.ln1@eskimo.tundraware.com>,
>  Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:
> 
>> Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>>> Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> I have been running the same sendmail config (FreeBSD 4.11-stable,
>>>> sendmail 8.13.8) for many months with no problem.  I am suddenly seeing
>>>> a spike in failures due to pre-greeting traffic.  Many of these are
>>>> from "legitimate" domains like earthlink and verizon mail server.
>>>> Is there something new afoot that might explain this?
>>> 0) Have you tried to correlate greeting reject with CBL.abuseat.org
>>> listings? [ when rejected and 2 hours later to give more time for listing]
>> I am not aware of this site.  I will investigate.
>>> 1) Could you post 5-6 (fresh) names *you* consider to be legitimate?
>> Here are a few (of many):
>>
>> Feb 24 00:05:45 eskimo sm-mta-in[16656]: l1O64grE016656: rejecting commands 
>> from iris.acsalaska.net [209.112.173.229] due to pre-greeting traffic
>> Feb 24 00:07:00 eskimo sm-mta-in[16664]: l1O65vYc016664: rejecting commands 
>> from mxpool19.ebay.com [66.135.197.25] due to pre-greeting traffic
>> Feb 24 02:29:41 eskimo sm-mta-in[998]: l1O8Sc2S000998: rejecting commands 
>> from outbound-sin.frontbridge.com [207.46.51.80] due to pre-greeting traffic
>> Feb 24 05:45:46 eskimo sm-mta-in[5454]: l1OBihpc005454: rejecting commands 
>> from mail2.fsys.co.uk [193.82.139.31] due to pre-greeting traffic
>>
>> Of course, there are many more that are obviously compromised machines 
>> sitting at the
>> end of DSL and cable modem links and greet_pause is doing its job as expected 
>> there.
>>
>> Here's one I turned greet_pause off for and now I get:
>>
>> Feb 24 13:20:20 eskimo sm-mta-in[12972]: l1OJJGR7012972: sv18pub.verizon.net 
>> [206.46.252.154] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
> 
> That's one of the machines that does dictionary attacks for the benefit 
> of Verizon's spam detection systems, offloading their costs to every 
> domain owner who ever has an address forged into mail sent to VZ users. 
> Drop packets from the /24 and you'll be better off. (you won't be able 
> to mail VZ addresses either, but you might find that less of a problem 
> than it sounds.)
> 
> 
> More to your point: the GreetPause detection logs sessions that are 
> closed by the client before the greeting identically to fast talkers. A 
> lot of sites running qmail and derivatives seem to like very short 
> banner timeouts, and so will show up as fast-talkers. If your system 
> overloaded and bannering slow because of load issues, you will see a lot 
> of legit sites logged. Shaw and MessageLabs are other examples.
> 

Thanks for the insight.  I may have to disable greet_pause and depend on higher
level services for spam supression.  As much as I would like to clobber all
non-conforming external sites, users of this system expect connectivity before
spam supression (and of course, complain about the spam they do get)...

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com
PGP Key:         http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
0
Reply tundra (295) 2/25/2007 7:11:16 AM

In article <sdp7b4-6vq.ln1@eskimo.tundraware.com>,
 Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:

> Bill Cole wrote:
[...]
> > More to your point: the GreetPause detection logs sessions that are 
> > closed by the client before the greeting identically to fast talkers. A 
> > lot of sites running qmail and derivatives seem to like very short 
> > banner timeouts, and so will show up as fast-talkers. If your system 
> > overloaded and bannering slow because of load issues, you will see a lot 
> > of legit sites logged. Shaw and MessageLabs are other examples.
> > 
> 
> Thanks for the insight.  I may have to disable greet_pause and depend on 
> higher
> level services for spam supression.  As much as I would like to clobber all
> non-conforming external sites, users of this system expect connectivity 
> before
> spam supression (and of course, complain about the spam they do get)...

Disabling GreetPause altogether is not necessary or even terribly 
useful. You can tune behavior per-site in the access map if you like, 
but in the final analysis you won't get much behavioral change from 
legit senders by disabling the GreetPause unless you have it set to 
something absurdly high (e.g. I have seen sites set it to 30 seconds, 
which is a recipe for disaster.)

-- 
Now where did I hide that website...
0
Reply bill123 (477) 2/25/2007 5:25:06 PM

Bill Cole wrote:
> In article <sdp7b4-6vq.ln1@eskimo.tundraware.com>,
>  Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:
> 
>> Bill Cole wrote:
> [...]
>>> More to your point: the GreetPause detection logs sessions that are 
>>> closed by the client before the greeting identically to fast talkers. A 
>>> lot of sites running qmail and derivatives seem to like very short 
>>> banner timeouts, and so will show up as fast-talkers. If your system 
>>> overloaded and bannering slow because of load issues, you will see a lot 
>>> of legit sites logged. Shaw and MessageLabs are other examples.
>>>
>> Thanks for the insight.  I may have to disable greet_pause and depend on 
>> higher
>> level services for spam supression.  As much as I would like to clobber all
>> non-conforming external sites, users of this system expect connectivity 
>> before
>> spam supression (and of course, complain about the spam they do get)...
> 
> Disabling GreetPause altogether is not necessary or even terribly 
> useful. You can tune behavior per-site in the access map if you like, 
> but in the final analysis you won't get much behavioral change from 
> legit senders by disabling the GreetPause unless you have it set to 
> something absurdly high (e.g. I have seen sites set it to 30 seconds, 
> which is a recipe for disaster.)
> 

Maybe I don't understand the feature well then.  My understanding is that
if GreetPause is enabled and triggered by a particular site, that mail
transaction is discarded.  If I disable it (on a per-site or global basis)
then sites "behaving badly" will at least be able to attempt the mail
delivery.  I have already done this on a per-site basis for the ones I know
about, but as the number of MTAs doing this rises it becomes impossible to
administer it manually.  At some point, it's just easier to let 'em all
babble away and use some higher-level service like SpamAssassin to clobber
the bad guys.  If GreetPause were only being triggered by badly configured
or compromised machines this would be a non-issue, but the fact that
legitimate mail hosts are doing this makes it kind of a pain.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com
PGP Key:         http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
0
Reply tundra (295) 2/25/2007 6:13:23 PM

In article <b709b4-fs51.ln1@eskimo.tundraware.com>,
 Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:

> Bill Cole wrote:
> > In article <sdp7b4-6vq.ln1@eskimo.tundraware.com>,
> >  Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:
> > 
> >> Bill Cole wrote:
> > [...]
> >>> More to your point: the GreetPause detection logs sessions that are 
> >>> closed by the client before the greeting identically to fast talkers. A 
> >>> lot of sites running qmail and derivatives seem to like very short 
> >>> banner timeouts, and so will show up as fast-talkers. If your system 
> >>> overloaded and bannering slow because of load issues, you will see a lot 
> >>> of legit sites logged. Shaw and MessageLabs are other examples.
> >>>
> >> Thanks for the insight.  I may have to disable greet_pause and depend on 
> >> higher
> >> level services for spam supression.  As much as I would like to clobber all
> >> non-conforming external sites, users of this system expect connectivity 
> >> before
> >> spam supression (and of course, complain about the spam they do get)...
> > 
> > Disabling GreetPause altogether is not necessary or even terribly 
> > useful. You can tune behavior per-site in the access map if you like, 
> > but in the final analysis you won't get much behavioral change from 
> > legit senders by disabling the GreetPause unless you have it set to 
> > something absurdly high (e.g. I have seen sites set it to 30 seconds, 
> > which is a recipe for disaster.)
> > 
> 
> Maybe I don't understand the feature well then.  My understanding is that
> if GreetPause is enabled and triggered by a particular site, that mail
> transaction is discarded.  

Yes, but the sites that you see logged as triggering it may only be 
doing so by saying "QUIT" or even just sending a TCP close packet 
because you are too slow in responding. As you noted, disabling it for 
one host got you this:

>> Feb 24 13:20:20 eskimo sm-mta-in[12972]: l1OJJGR7012972: 
sv18pub.verizon.net 
>> [206.46.252.154] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection 
to MTA

That means they dropped the connection without doing anything. 
Legitimate MTA's don't actually try to push the SMTP session before the 
banner, but they do sometimes display impatience and simply go away. 
Slow response from sendmail is not only the result of the GreetPause 
feature, and it should take other factors to make make response so slow 
as to have a large number of sites time out. 

> If I disable it (on a per-site or global basis)
> then sites "behaving badly" will at least be able to attempt the mail
> delivery.  I have already done this on a per-site basis for the ones I know
> about, but as the number of MTAs doing this rises it becomes impossible to
> administer it manually. 

For those that continue to do as the cited Verizon host did, you are not 
going to be getting any improvement from selective or total removal of 
GreetPause. 

I've been through this process and found that the hosts that triggered a 
5-second GreetPause showed no improvement or only  marginal improvement 
when exempted. I only got significant improvement from eliminating other 
things that caused Sendmail to respond slowly (notably the DelayLA 
setting, but also eliminating other loads on the host.) 

> At some point, it's just easier to let 'em all
> babble away and use some higher-level service like SpamAssassin to clobber
> the bad guys.  

That very much depends on your available CPU and memory. SA is much more 
demanding than 

> If GreetPause were only being triggered by badly configured
> or compromised machines this would be a non-issue, but the fact that
> legitimate mail hosts are doing this makes it kind of a pain.

They *are* badly configured, unless you've made a huge mistake with 
GreetPause or other Sendmail load tuning that is causing very long 
delays. RFC821 and RFC2821 specify minimum timeouts, and as far as I've 
been able to see, the legit sites that have problems are all more 
impatient than the standard says they should be. 

How tolerable degraded service with misconfigured but generally 
legitimate sites is in your particular circumstance is something only 
you can decide, but dropping the greeting pause is not likely to affect 
the degradation in any major way.

-- 
Now where did I hide that website...
0
Reply bill123 (477) 2/25/2007 7:41:39 PM
comp.mail.sendmail 13366 articles. 1 followers. Post

8 Replies
192 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 50

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Reply:

Similar Artilces:

pre-greeting traffic
I use Sendmail 8.13.1 Suse 9.2 This is my suse-linux.m4 --------------------------------------------------------start divert(-1) # # Copyright (c) 1999,2000 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany. # Author: Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> # divert(0) VERSIONID(`@(#) suse-linux.m4 8.12.3-0.6 (SuSE Linux) 2003/04/15') define(`confCF_VERSION', `SuSE Linux 0.7')dnl dnl dnl Flags dnl define(`confDEF_USER_ID', `daemon:daemon')dnl define(`confCOPY_ERRORS_TO', `Postmaster')dnl define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl define(`conf...

Yahoo! Greetings Greetings Home Greetings is temporarily unavailable due to regular site maintenance
Yahoo! My Yahoo! Mail Greetings Home - Help Yahoo! Greetings Greetings Home Yahoo! Greetings is temporarily unavailable due to regular site maintenance. It will be back up shortly. Address Book =B7 Alerts =B7 Auctions =B7 Bill Pay =B7 Bookmarks =B7 Briefcase =B7 Broadcast =B7 Calendar =B7 Chat =B7 Classifieds =B7 Clubs =B7 Companion =B7 Domains =B7 Experts =B7Games =B7 Greetings =B7 Home Pages =B7 Invites =B7 Mail =B7 Maps =B7 Member Directory =B7 Messenger =B7 My Yahoo! =B7 News =B7 PayDirect =B7 People Search =B7 Personals =B7 Photos =B7 Shopping =B7 Sports =B7 Stock Quotes =B7...

Connections suddenly increase
I run a Linux Bridge and run a script, which reads every minute /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_count and puts this number in a file. Now I have some 'strange' data: Numbers Wed Sep 22 13:59:11 CEST 2004 12098 Numbers Wed Sep 22 14:00:11 CEST 2004 12137 Numbers Wed Sep 22 14:01:11 CEST 2004 12215 Numbers Wed Sep 22 14:02:11 CEST 2004 9990 Numbers Wed Sep 22 14:03:11 CEST 2004 5518 Numbers Wed Sep 22 14:04:11 CEST 2004 3262 Numbers Wed Sep 22 14:05:11 CEST 2004 3215 A really fast decrease of connections. Numbers Wed Sep 22 14:11:11 CEST 2004 4752 Numbers Wed Sep 22 14:12:1...

Increase Site Traffic
Google AdWords ads connect you with new customers at the precise moment when they're looking for your products or services. With Google AdWords you create your own ads, choose keywords to help us match your ads to your audience. https://adwords.google.com/select/main?hl=en_US&sourceid=awo&subid=ww-ww-rf-adwords&ai=BkxVoT3RNROj7C73ekgH90vTCA7jjihLYlPzwAcWNtwEAEAEgpbSUBkiFOVCx8t7W-v____8BoAHIvKf9A8gBAtoBLWZpbGU6Ly8vQzovRW1haWxBZGRyZXNzZXNSVXNfU2l0ZS9kZWZhdWx0Lmh0beABAoACAZUCRsAkCg&gclid=CISFmuHtxoQCFSTKJAodJV70KA ...

dramatic increase in ntp traffic?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Hi, at least two servers in the pool.ntp.org have seen a dramatic increase in ntp traffic suddenly. Since I did not change anything in the server set up of the project, I think it must be some external event - but what? Traffic seems to come in 10 minutes interwalls, preciley 10, 20, ... minutes after the hour, one pool.ntp.org member reports. see, for example, the traffic stats at <http://ntp.vanheusden.nl> greetings - -- vbi - --=20 Jetzt ist der Herr Bush Pr=C3=A4sident, und weil ihm wieder langweilig = ist, will er endlich den Sadd...

Sudden increase in php-jobs
Was reading an article the other day (now offline for some reason) which included some "new lines of code"-statistics, this is different, but shows the same trend: http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobtrends/trend/q-asp,+jsp,+php,+ruby,+python,+coldfusion,+perl http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=perl%2Cpython%2Cphp%2Cruby What happened? Mikhail Kovalev wrote: > Was reading an article the other day (now offline for some reason) > which included some "new lines of code"-statistics, this is different, > but shows the same trend: > > http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jo...

how i can increase quality traffic
Guide me plz for quality traffic www.infoaboutintelprocessor.blogspot.com ...

Sudden Increase in Checkpoint Lengths
All Running IDS 9.4 FC6 on AIX 5.3, application written in INFORMIX-4GL Version 7.32.FC3. (I know it's a bit old, but it runs well (till now !!)) Around Friday lunchtime the checkpoint times on this server jumped from between 0 and 1 second to between 30 and 60 seconds (although many are running arounf 6 to 10 seconds, big variances). Even though the checkpoints are fuzzy (with several thousand buffers not being flushed) the users are being blocked for this length of time every 5 minutes (and they are not happy !!!). All disk writes are Chunk Writes (no LRU or Fg), buffers ar...

Increase Website Traffic and Revenue
Learn how to make money without leaving your house. Discover webmaster tips, tricks, advice, and more tools to hep you succeed. http://freewebmasteradvice.blogspot.com ...

Zone Alarm Suddenly Blocking All Traffic
I have the free Zone Alarm running on XP SP2. Lately, it is blocking all traffic. A clean re-install has not fixed the problem. This seems to happen only when I re-start the system from a hibernation. When I re-start the system, all traffic is normal. The funny thing is that in the past, a re-start from hibernation never caused this problem. So it is not just Zone Alarm alone, but probably some other change in configuration that has caused Zone Alarm to do this. That is, Zone Alarm being active is a necessary condition for preventing the traffic, but not a sufficient condition for...

Sudden memory-usage increase with SparseArray
Hi, I'm trying to build the transition Matrix for a pretty large (~700,000 vertices) graph. I'm doing this based on a list of almost 3 million edges. When I tried to simple use something like: P=SparseArray[{#[[1]], #[[2]]} -> transProb & /@ Edges] , i ran out of memory. I've since increased the size of my swap partition, to give my 2+2 GB of RAM+swap, which is - as far as I know - more than my kernel can address anyway (32-bit linux). When it still wouldn't work, I tried filling the array in steps of 10,000 entries, which is when I witnessed some stra...

cpu usage increases due to graph
I am logging three analog sensors in a while loop. The while loop is timed at 100 ms intervals. When I send 2 sensors to a graph on screen it goes ok, When I want to plot a third graph my CPU usage increases to 100% and thescreen does not refresh smooth anymore. &nbsp; what can be the problem? It does not seems to such a demanding task. The computer is a P3 500Mhz, 512 MB RAM &nbsp; (Within this while loop I placed a second while loop to log the data to a file. This while loop is times at 50 ms because I need the data) &nbsp; Thanks, &nbsp; Arthur You should seperate the daq f...

iPhone will increase traffic fatalities
The Mactards will be too busy looking at their touch screens while trying to dial calls and read e-mail, that they'll be running down little children and old people. "Dr zara" <spook@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%Xtfi.2298$c_4.2232@bignews2.bellsouth.net... > The Mactards will be too busy looking at their touch screens while trying > to dial calls and read e-mail, that they'll be running down little > children and old people. > I dunno. I don't think the Mactards leave their houses enough to cause traffic accidents. I also don't thi...

Access database suddenly increased in size
I have an autograph database that is normally around 7 MB. It has suddenly grown to 27 MB! I link to any photos (not embedded). Compacting does not help. Any ideas? Thanks. ken If you are using OLE Objects to store your photos, you will experience database bloat even if you link them, because Access and the registered COM-automation enabled software for that image type will generate and store in your OLE object a bitmap "thumbnail" that is larger than full-sized compressed-format originals. For more information, and examples of two approaches that do not cause similar &quo...

Drives suddenly increased operating temp
I have a 5-year old Dell 400SC running as a home desktop, with 2 drives. A ST 3400 633AS and a WDC WD400BB. I have been using lmsensors and ksensors to monitor the temp on these for a number of months. They normally both run very close to 40 degrees C, which is below the alarm condition. Two days ago, they both jumped up to 42 - 43 degrees C, which tripped the alarms on ksensors. The case fan and power-supply fan both seem to be operating normally. I opened the case and vacuumed out what little dust there was (I do that twice a year anyway). I also reversed the positi...

# of pre-installed Linux desktops increasing
http://www.vnunet.com/analysis/1158380 Linux PCs p-p-pick up Information gathered by Context Research's SalesWatch survey indicates that the percentage of PCs sold with the Linux operating system (OS) already installed is gradually rising. Over the past four quarters the figure has grown from a low of 0.13 per cent to 1.04 per cent in the second quarter of this year. -- http://www.texeme.com In comp.lang.java.advocacy, John Bailo <jabailo@earthlink.net> wrote on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:53:43 -0700 <2rrn4nF1d33riU1@uni-berlin.de>: > > http://www.vnunet.com...

RE: Sudden Increase in Checkpoint Lengths
Keith. If you haven't done it already: set environment TRACECKPT=1; export TRACECKPT before starting IDS. That will make the checkpoints more chatty in online.log. If they are in critical section most of the time it could be an issue with the btscanners. HTH. Reinhard. > -----Original Message----- > From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org > [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org]On Behalf Of John Carlson > Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:04 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Sudden Increase in Checkpoint Lengths > > > Keith Si...

Suddenly increase in Internet BGP Prefix Count
Hi there, Would anyone kindly to share their information about the reason of this issue? The number just jumped right up to around 188000 from 150000. Where were those new prefix came from? Thank you! Best Regards, Niche ...

INFORMATION TO INCREASE SALES OR TRAFFIC TO YOUR WEBSITE/BUSINESS
Hi, My name is Gwendolyn Kok. My home business is GK Midwest Consulting. Over the past years online, I've learned something about e-commerce: You may have the best offer, but without visitors nobody will ever know and it simply will not work for you. Each day I receive tons of non-sense program offers in my mailbox. Have you seen the rediculous programs promising you hits by submitting your webpage to 5 million websites? THEY DON'T WORK. You only get spam emails. There are many programs about how to get the internet traffic, promising you the moon. The thing is that some wor...

KDE pre-login graphical prompt/greeting?
Hi, KDE version 3.5.8-1.fc6 fedora My company requires a some sort of greeting describing things to the effect " by logging into this computer you may be monitored, etc". I'm only slightly familiar with how this was done in gnome (e.g., using greeter.dtd). I love KDE, and wish to have something similar to satisfy the requirements here. Bascially a popup box with the message and an "OK" button would work, OR, an easier alternative is to place it on the default background that comes up during the point where it asks you to enter your username. Advice here is appr...

Re: Drives suddenly increased operating temp
I replaced the case fan. That brought both of the drives back down to a comfortable 38 - 39 C. They stay there consistently. The old one was still running, but apparently not running fast enough. I ordered the new one from TigerDirect, and it was here in a couple of days. Of course, the connector wasn't the same, so I patched into the drive power lines with an adapter included with the fan. As a result, I lost the "fan RPM" sense line, so the machine halts on startup waiting for me to override it. This weekend's project - to cut the connector off the o...

RE: Sudden Increase in Checkpoint Lengths #2
Keith. Keith wrote: > Is there any overhead > with having this turned on (apart from more entries in the online = log) > and is it a feature available in IDS9.4? We have it turned on in a high production environment and don't feel = any overhead. And yes it is available in IDS 9.4. If you would like to check the btscanner: onstat -C (Btree Cleaner Info BT scanner profile Information). If you = have only one btscannner and only leaf scans that could be critical because = your indexes cannot be cleaned in time. To change while IDS is running (starts two btscan...

Increase web site traffic without breaking the bank
1. Submit your website to FREE directories. There are thousands of them out there, and the result will be a whole lot of free one-way links to your site. Do a Google search to find them. Or you can go here. I make it a habit to submit my sites to 2-5 directories a day. It does work. 2. Write articles on topics related to your website. Include a link to your website in your "about the author" section. Submit them to some of the hundreds of free article websites around. Results in free one-way links to your website. Also, depending upon the quality of your article it should b...

Festive greetings / Pre xmas SEC 3000 Q
Hi all, Best wishes to all for the Xmas / New Year period but seeing as I'm doing= =20 the "Bob Cratchet" this year I have a pre xmas Sec 3000 question for you.= Can you specify more than 1 node.domain.organisation within the SECURCON=20= file for the $NO-HOST-CHECK ? Looking at the online help it doesn't say y= ou=20 can't but also doesn't say you can. I see you can do wild cards but if on= ly one=20 can be specified I'd be limited to @.@.@. Version I have is 32N30525. Best wishes. Nige.... * To join/leave the list, search archives, c...