unsafe map file (not file permissions ??)

When running 'sendmail -v -bi -d44.4' I am getting "...unsafe map
file..." errors.  (See output below).

I have read all the archives I could find on the matter and they all
suggest that the problem is related to file permissions.  I have checked,
double checked, triple checked the permissions and ownership of all the
directories and file in the path to /etc/mail/aliases and can find no
problems.
I have also tried removing the old files, touch /etc/mail/aliases but get
the same errors.

What else could be wrong that would cause 'newaliases' to generate these
errors?

A great many thanks in advance for any insight or ideas in helping to
resolve this problem.  I'm completely baffled and don't know what else to
try.

--
Andy

[root@server1 mail]# stat / /etc /etc/mail /etc/mail/aliases
/usr/sbin/sendmail
  File: "/"
  Size: 4096            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   Directory
Device: 302h/770d       Inode: 2           Links: 19
Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: Sat Jul 19 04:02:30 2003
Modify: Tue Jul  1 09:30:40 2003
Change: Tue Jul  1 09:30:40 2003

  File: "/etc"
  Size: 4096            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   Directory
Device: 302h/770d       Inode: 229377      Links: 44
Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: Sat Jul 19 04:02:31 2003
Modify: Sat Jul 19 18:08:53 2003
Change: Sat Jul 19 18:08:53 2003

  File: "/etc/mail"
  Size: 4096            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   Directory
Device: 302h/770d       Inode: 689157      Links: 3
Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: Sat Jul 19 20:44:05 2003
Modify: Sat Jul 19 20:01:02 2003
Change: Sat Jul 19 20:01:02 2003

  File: "/etc/mail/aliases"
  Size: 0               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 4096   Regular File
Device: 302h/770d       Inode: 688487      Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: Sat Jul 19 21:30:13 2003
Modify: Sat Jul 19 19:40:05 2003
Change: Sat Jul 19 20:40:11 2003

  File: "/usr/sbin/sendmail"
  Size: 452132          Blocks: 896        IO Block: 4096   Regular File
Device: 302h/770d       Inode: 524422      Links: 1
Access: (4555/-r-sr-xr-x)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: Sat Jul 19 21:33:22 2003
Modify: Mon Feb 24 14:44:24 2003
Change: Thu Mar  6 08:34:41 2003

[root@server1 mail]# sendmail -v -bi -d44.4
safefile(/etc/sendmail.cf, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6000, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6000, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 400]         OK
safefile(/etc/mail/local-host-names, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6580, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6580, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 400]         OK
safefile(/etc/mail/relay-domains, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6580, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6580, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 400]         OK
safefile(/etc/mail/trusted-users, uid=8, gid=12, flags=6580, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=6580, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 40]  OK
safefile(/etc/mail/service.switch, uid=8, gid=12, flags=6480, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=6580, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        No such file or directory
safefile(/etc/mail/service.switch, uid=8, gid=12, flags=6480, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=6580, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        No such file or directory
safedirpath(/var/spool/mqueue, uid=8, gid=12, flags=0, level=0, offset=
0):
        [dir /var/spool/mqueue] OK
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.minorfish, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7c80, mode=
600):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7d80, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 6]   EACCES
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.minorfish, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7c80, mode=
400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7d80, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 4]   OK
warning: cannot lock /etc/mail/aliases.minorfish: Error 0
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.minorfish.db, uid=8, gid=12, flags=3c6, mode=
200):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=3c6, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        No such file or directory
        [final dir /etc/mail uid 0 mode 40755] Permission denied
hash map "Alias2": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.minorfish.db:
Permission denied
WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases.minorfish
Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases.minorfish
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7c80, mode=600):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7d80, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 6]   EACCES
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7c80, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7d80, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 4]   OK
warning: cannot lock /etc/mail/aliases: Error 0
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.db, uid=8, gid=12, flags=3c6, mode=200):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=3c6, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        No such file or directory
        [final dir /etc/mail uid 0 mode 40755] Permission denied
hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: Permission
denied
WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases
Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.log, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7c80, mode=600):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7d80, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 6]   EACCES
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.log, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7c80, mode=400):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7d80, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 4]   OK
warning: cannot lock /etc/mail/aliases.log: Error 0
safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.log.db, uid=8, gid=12, flags=3c6, mode=200):
safedirpath(/etc/mail, uid=8, gid=12, flags=3c6, level=0, offset=0):
        [dir /etc/mail] OK
        [uid 0, nlink 1, stat 100644, mode 2]   EACCES
hash map "Alias1": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.log.db: Permission
denied
WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases.log
Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases.log

0
aloftus1 (1)
7/20/2003 2:34:49 AM
comp.mail.sendmail 13505 articles. 1 followers. jfretby (35) is leader. Post Follow

andy  wrote:
> When running 'sendmail -v -bi -d44.4' I am getting "...unsafe map

Which sendmail version is this?

> file..." errors.  (See output below).

> [root@server1 mail]# sendmail -v -bi -d44.4
> safefile(/etc/sendmail.cf, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6000, mode=400):

> safefile(/etc/mail/trusted-users, uid=8, gid=12, flags=6580, mode=400):

Do you use RunAsUser?

> safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.minorfish, uid=8, gid=12, flags=7c80, mode=
> 600):

> hash map "Alias2": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.minorfish.db:
> Permission denied

> hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: Permission
> denied
> WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases

> warning: cannot lock /etc/mail/aliases.log: Error 0
> safefile(/etc/mail/aliases.log.db, uid=8, gid=12, flags=3c6, mode=200):

What are the permissions of those files?

ls -l /etc/mail/aliases*

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

STARTTLS=client: file /etc/mail/tls/sendmail-common.key unsafe: Permission denied
I just upgraded from 8.12.3 to 8.12.11 and I get the following errors on startup: STARTTLS=client: file /etc/mail/tls/sendmail-common.key unsafe: Permission denied The permissions for the file are: -r-------- 1 root smmsp sendmail-common.key The permissions for the directory are: drwxr-xr-x 2 root smmsp 432 Jan 25 12:39 tls What is the fix? I have tried all the obvious group/ownership permissions changes and can't get it to work... I ran the debug for sendmail: sendmail -bs -d44.8 results: safefile(/etc/mail/submit.cf, uid=0, gid=0, flags=6000, mode=400): safedi...

How many times is map file faster than reading of file by next of file descriptor and when both times are so aqual one? Thanks in advance. * Mirosław Makowiecki: > How many times is map file faster than reading of file by next of file > descriptor and when both times are so aqual one? > Thanks in advance. Measure. -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is it such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail? ...

file.exe file generation from file.m file
How to generate application (*.exe) file from *.m file, which has lots of graphics. Program was written for image watermarking by using image processing toolbox. I want to send this program some where else but with out sowing the program codes. By this *.exe no need to use matlab6.5 platform. Also tell me How to generate *.p file from *.m file Which is hide the code to user but for run this program need matlab6.5 Please give me some idea about it. it is very urgent for me. I will be very great full to you "Biswajit Kar" <hibiswajitkar@rediffmail.com> wrote in message ne...

File permissions
Hi, I traced a problem on a friend's computer, XP SP2 Home, to a single file which somehow has no owner. His mail reader (eudora) can't read it and crashes, and I can't delete the file. Is there a way to log in as root or administrator on XP Home? If I boot up from a floppy, BartPE CD, etc., will I be able to delete the file or change owners? Any suggestions? I'm afraid he lives in another state and isn't comfortable with computers, so I can't give you too many details, but any suggestions or ideas on where to look would be appreciated. T...

Can I map with memory-mapped-file, a file that is dynamically expands?
Hi I have a task to monitor a text file that receives line of integers into it, every 200msec. I need to monitor it and thought maybe to map the file to the memory. Unfortunatly I didn't receive memory-mapped-file pointer to this file(while running,only when I stopped the application of the file it allowed me to create MMF of the file). Another thing, I can't use SetFilePointer with pointer to MMF, is there another way I can achive immidiatly the end of the MMF I've mapped? If anyone has a suggestion how to overcome this problem,I'll appriciate it very much. Dan...

file extention from file file location
Hi, I am new to perl (only working on this one problem) but I program in other languages. We have an upload script written in cgi. Can anyone tell me how to get the file extension from the variable $File1 (actual file location on uploader's computer) then find out if it is equal to "txt" Thanks in advance for not telling me to read the manual. Ron -- PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible for their content. HOW TO POST to co...

Iteration through File.file? misses entries for which File.file?(entry) == true
Hello everyone, I'm new to Ruby, so I'm most likely making an elementary mistake. However, searching Google didn't help me find my answer, and after mucking around with irb I still haven't figured it out. I wrote a method that was intended to take all of the files in a given directory and put them into an array. Here's the code I wrote: def getFiles(dir) pwdFiles = Array.new Dir.foreach(dir) do |entry| pwdFiles.push(entry) if File.file?(entry) == true end end This works fine when called on the working directory --- that is, getFile...

Mapping file-not-found to a .rb file?
I am using latest Apache on Linux. I would like to have something like this: localhost/query localhost/query/foobar All these should be mapped to a specific .rb file but I wonder which limitation this would have (I'd want to have as few restrictions as possible), and how to make this even possible at all. Would this require mod_rewrite or are there simpler alternatives? Preferrable I would not want to run a daemon .rb file. -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Marc Heiler wrote: > Would this require > mod_rewrite or are there simpler alternatives? Preferrable I would n...

file permissions on files created with lotofile
when using lotofile the files created (on linux) get permissions 600 owned by informix:informix. this prohibits scenarios where for example a web server will be able to read these files by being in the same group as the directory, with group sticky bit on, where these files get created. normally the sitcky bit would make sure the file created in that directory would be accessible by members of the same group. the functions neither follows permissions as set by umask during server startup. 1. can these permissions be controlled through informix? 2. any suggestions for above mentione...

Copying Files and retaining File Permission
Hi, I need to transfer files from ServerA to ServerB. ServerA is the domain controller, and ServerB is the Additional domain controller in the same domain. What is the easiest way to do this? There are folders with ACL granted to domain users. Server A - Windows 2000 Server Server B - Windows 2003 Server Domain - linx.local If I use traditional way to transfer files, it will lose all the permission, and stop halfway if the file is in use. Any software to skip file in use during copy and report the files in log files? I have heard of RoboCopy. Is it useful in this situation, and any guides ...

Copying Files and retaining File Permission
Hi, I need to transfer files from ServerA to ServerB. ServerA is the domain controller, and ServerB is the Additional domain controller in the same domain. What is the easiest way to do this? There are folders with ACL granted to domain users. Server A - Windows 2000 Server Server B - Windows 2003 Server Domain - linx.local If I use traditional way to transfer files, it will lose all the permission, and stop halfway if the file is in use. Any software to skip file in use during copy and report the files in log files? I have heard of RoboCopy. Is it useful in this situation, and any guides ...

memory mapped files
hi, quick question: is there an upper limit of how many memory mapped files there can be created ? On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:29:53 +0100, "Niel Darren" <nods@pszzxasm.co.uk> wrote: >hi, > >quick question: is there an upper limit of how many memory mapped files >there can be created ? > There is no limit to the actual count of memory mapped files you can have in a single process, but the limit is dictated by how much contigous virtual memory you have available to you. This will depend on what dll's you already have loaded and your apps...

File Permissions of PHP Session Files
Hi! I noticed that the file permissions (unix) of the PHP session files have only read and write permissions for the Apache process (600 or rw- --- ---). Does anyone have any idea where this permission is set ? I can't find any umask or chmod settings for it in the php.ini file. Can't find anything in the httpd.conf either. Is it set in the PHP code that implements session_start()? Thanks for any pointers Those files are created and modified by the the apache process, so you probably want the umask of that user (most likely "nobody"). Just out of curiosity, why do you...

is it possible to extract Calendar Appointments from an exchange mail file, and import them into a Notes Mail File.
is it possible to extract Calendar Appointments from an exchange mail file, and import them into a Notes Mail File. ...

dbm map "Alias0": unsafe map file
Hello, I am looking for some assistance on a sendmail upgrade issue I'm having on HP-UX 11i. I have seen several posting on this but nothing I've read has resolved my issue. I upgraded from 8.13.3 to 8.13.6 and am receiving the following message in mail.log when sending email - SYSERR(root): dbm map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases DSN: dbm map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases I have changed the permissions per the documentation and get the same message running sendmail -v -bi. #chmo...

Text files read multiple files into single file, and then recreate the multiple files
Hiya, The title says it all really, but im a newbie to python sort of. I can read in files and write files no probs. But what I want to do is read in a couple of files and output them to one single file, but then be able to take this one single file and recreate the files I put into it. Im really at a loss as to how I go about recovering the files? obviously if i scan for a string that specifys the start and end of each file, theres the chance that the file might contain this term to which would split the files into unwanted chucks of file, which wouldnt be wanted. Any ideas? code snippets...

object files, header files, source files?
I can't find any books describing the anatomy of C/C++ programs. What is an object file? Can it be generated from a header file?, what is linking?, why does a source file need an object file? etc. I have looked in The C programming Language, The C++ Programming Language, Accelerated C++, GNU make etc but they don't describe these basic subject. Any literature that covers these subjects? saneman wrote: > I can't find any books describing the anatomy of C/C++ programs. What is > an object file? Can it be generated from a header file?, what is > linking?, why does a s...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate fi...

File share, File Sharing, File Host
http://fileuplo.de File share, File Sharing, File Host -- questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad abuse@newsland.it ...

how to tell if a file is inary file or ascii file?
Hello, Is there a way to find if a file is a binary executable file or an ASCII executable file in unix? especially, if I have a file with permission of --x--x--x. Thanks, Peter peter wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way to find if a file is a binary executable file or an ASCII > executable file in unix? especially, if I have a file with > permission of --x--x--x. If in a shell you could start with man file Tobias On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:31:11 +0000, peter wrote: > Is there a way to find if a file is a binary executable file or an ASCII > executable file in...

write file + input file + write file
Hi, I want to write some latex command to a file (file1), input the file at the end of the document. These command shall write to another file (file2) and at a second run I use the file2. Whatever I have tried nothing works and I don't known why. The goal is to save a set of special commands and run them at the end of the document, because they use some values which are only available at the end! Can anybody please help me with that? Thanks in advance! I should be something like: \begin{document} \usepackage{style} \input{file2} %file exists from a previous run \end{document} style.sty:...

How to copy a file to a file with a prefixed file name
I'm trying to write a program that will archive selected files to an archive directory. The files in the archive directory will have a prefix in the format yyyymmdd-hhmmss-filename.ext. So, if the file is called "somefile.dat", then the filename in the archive directory should be "20090522-164325-somefile.dat". I'm using Clipper's COPY FILE command to do the copy. I can't figure out how to get the prefix in front of the file name. Creating the prefix string is no problem, but I can't figure out how to tack that onto the front of the filename. If I...

file mapping mixing with regular file i/o
Hi, I have a binary file with a header followed by an array of records. I wish to memory map the header, while using read/write i/o operations on the records. The file will most definitely be growing and shrinking and so memory mapping the entire file is out of the question (right?). Will this work? The docs for CreateFileMapping seem a bit vauge stating only that mixing the two access methods will result in an "inconsistent" view of the file. But I plan only to access the header via memory map, and the records only with file i/o. This is intended to facilitate mul...

How can I change file permissions on gazillions of files?
I used CCC to clone my failing hard drive and it seemed everything was OK until I discovered that 3 levels down all the permissions were changed to "system". Ugh! Yes I ran Disk Utility before and after and I followed all the steps for CCC exactly as instructed. I am not saying this was CCC's fault. Maybe I inadvertantly missed something despite my care or maybe something was wrong at the disk level. I have no idea but I just want to know how to fix it. Please don't tell me I am stuck with changing several hundred thousand files individually. Madeleine Madwen ...

Web resources about - unsafe map file (not file permissions ??) - comp.mail.sendmail

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Fixing Vulnerability That Would Prohibit Users From Revoking App Permissions
Facebook is working to remedy a vulnerability discovered by application security provider MyPermissions , which blocks users of the social network ...

Dwight Murphy - Ok, I now have permission to share the... - Facebook
Ok, I now have permission to share the news about Bowe Bergdahl..This in 2 emails... Here it is in Bob Bergdahls words to me! (1) You guys rock! ...

How-To: Handle Revoked Auth Permissions
This how-to document will help developers check a user's permissions and prompt that user for any missing permissions.

Facebook gives users more options for login, app permissions
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s new mantra of “Move fast with stable infra,” might not be as sexy as “ Move fast and break things ,” but it reflects ...

Arafat's widow grants permission for Swiss lab to test poisoning theory
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas after a media investigation found ...

Michael Daniel Henderson who killed three teenagers in a smash denied permission to appeal
A driver who killed three teenagers in a hit-and-run smash in southeast Queensland has been refused permission to appeal his 10-year sentence. ...

CSIRO moves toward industrial action: seeks Fair Work permission for protected action ballot
CSIRO's new chief executive Larry Marshall could soon be faced with disruptive staff.