Using alternative port

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am running sendmail using a DSL account.  I can receive external emails
but when I send they fail.  Recently I finally got my ISP to confess that
they are blocking port 25.  Using telnet I have found that when I try to
connect using port 25 I get "no route to host" but using 2525 I can
successfully connect.

If tried to reconfigure sendmail to use port 2525 but my emails still fail.
Not sure how to test and verify but maillog still reports that the error is
"not route to host" which leads me to think that sendmail isn't using the
alternative port.

Does anyone have any suggestions on debugging this or what configuration
settings need to be to use a different port?

0
Reply c_gillespie (6) 11/30/2006 3:06:50 PM

See related articles to this posting

C Gillespie wrote:
> I am running sendmail using a DSL account.  I can receive external emails
> but when I send they fail.  Recently I finally got my ISP to confess that
> they are blocking port 25.  Using telnet I have found that when I try to
> connect using port 25 I get "no route to host" but using 2525 I can
> successfully connect.

I assume they are blocking your ability to open connections to tcp
port/25 from your dsl line to the net.

> If tried to reconfigure sendmail to use port 2525 but my emails still fail.
> Not sure how to test and verify but maillog still reports that the error is
> "not route to host" which leads me to think that sendmail isn't using the
> alternative port.

If you need sendmail to send email to other hosts (perhaps a smarthost)
on an alternate port you should define a new mailer or alter one of the
existing mailers.

See cf/README

If you need sendmail to receive email on another port you can use the
Daemon_Options to control that.

See cf/README

0
Reply jmaimon (680) 11/30/2006 3:31:53 PM

"C Gillespie" <c_gillespie@iname.com> writes:

> I am running sendmail using a DSL account.  I can receive external emails
> but when I send they fail.  Recently I finally got my ISP to confess that
> they are blocking port 25.  Using telnet I have found that when I try to
> connect using port 25 I get "no route to host" but using 2525 I can
> successfully connect.
>
> If tried to reconfigure sendmail to use port 2525 but my emails still fail.
> Not sure how to test and verify but maillog still reports that the error is
> "not route to host" which leads me to think that sendmail isn't using the
> alternative port.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on debugging this or what configuration
> settings need to be to use a different port?

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.39
  Q3.39 -- How do I send using an alternate port?
  Created: May 5, 2002
  Last Update: January 10, 2004

BTW I suggest you to use MSA port (587) instead of port 2525.

--
[pl2en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl
Before You Ask: http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/B4UAsk-Sendmail.html
http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/
0
Reply anfi2 (1425) 11/30/2006 3:58:31 PM
comp.mail.sendmail 13411 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Using Alternative SMTP Port
I am trying to use a separate port, 65000, for SMTP relay in order to avoid spammers, which have already attacked my site. I was wondering, in order to receive e-mails, can I use 25 as the "alternative port" on Mercury E-mail Server? And if so, would that enable my server to receive e-mails? Thank you, in advance. By the way, I manage a company called Pegasus Flight Resources, LLC, if any of you were wondering about the nickname or e-mail address. I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war against the King. -- Patrick Reilly 1st...

How do I force Sendmail to use an alternate port?
I can't seem to find documentation on how to make Sendmail use and alternate port under FreeBSD. I assumed that I could chage the smtp port in my /etc/services file, but that isn't working. Can anyone help me out on this? Edd Benson (ebommi@netscape.net) wrote in comp.mail.sendmail: > I can't seem to find documentation on how to make Sendmail use and > alternate port under FreeBSD. I assumed that I could chage the smtp > port in my /etc/services file, but that isn't working. Can anyone > help me out on this? Use the DAEMON_OPTIONS macro in sendmail.mc: DAEMON...

Can Samba use alternate ports?
I'm setting up a small SOHO LAN with a mixture of Windows OSs, Linux and BSD. My question involves setting Samba to use alternate ports other than 135-139 and 445. From what I've found on searching old archives by google, it may be possible but it likely to cause problems with the Windows machines. TIA. -- Cheers, Kurt Kurt <Alisdair@disorg.invalid> wrote in message news:<Xns9507D55171F82disorgFoo@127.0.0.1>... > I'm setting up a small SOHO LAN with a mixture of Windows OSs, Linux > and BSD. My question involves setting Samba to use alternate ports &g...

Using alternate SMTP port with Eudora
My ISP tells me that when I "roam" and want to send mail through their SMTP server, I have to access it via a non-standard port number. I didn't see anything in the docs about how to tell Eudora to use some arbitrary port. I tried setting the SMTP server address to: <smtp.something.com:1234>, but eidora told me that address didn't exist. Eudora 4.3, OS 9. Suggestions? Isaac Isaac Wingfield <isw@witzend.com> wrote: > I didn't see anything in the docs about how to tell Eudora to use some > arbitrary port. I tried setting the SMTP serve...

Using alternate SMTP and POP3 ports. How? \-:?
Here is one for you lot.... The current version of Eudora operating in Paid mode. I wish to create personalities that access different e-mail servers, but to be able to program each personality to use different SMTP and POP3 server ports which are not the default. How? This is baffling me. Seems dead easy to do in Outlook Express, but an interesting problem with Eudora Pro Paid mode. On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 00:03:51 GMT, Bloke at the pennine puddle <news006ddes@n.a.v.d> wrotd: >Here is one for you lot.... > >The current version of Eudora operating in Paid mode....

Q: TCP source port tries to use port already in use
Hi, I have a Win2k3 FTP server. Other server applications also reside on the same machine (mainly filesharing clients in active mode, i e accepting connection establishment originating from external client). I have noticed that sometimes incoming TCP sessions sometimes try to establich connection using source ports (in port 1025+ range) that are already in use by ongoing sessions. This results in TCP reset from the server. From what I can see in my analyser trace both sessions are terminated (TCP RST) when these types of collision occure. My question is: Is the TCP stack suppose...

use com port as parallel port
hello everybody, short question is it possible to use the serial com port with the comm api as parallel port and check every single input channel (if it is high)?? i'am trying to create a extern media controller, that has buttons for play, stop, next,volume up... and i want to keep everything simple(without parallel/seriell converter)... thanx 4 help beny I think you have the wrong end of the stick here. Com ports are serial devices i.e. one bit at a time, one after the other. You would needs some extra electronics to interface what you describe to a serial port - parallel and serial...

How can a new process use a used port?
I thought a new process could not use a TCP port already used by another process. But on an Oracle database server, two processes both open 1522 on the same IP. They were started completely independent of each other (not from a common parent that opened port 1522 earlier). #TNS listener: $ ps -fp 17413 UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD oracle 17413 1 0 01:49:00 ? 0:00 /export/home/oracle/ products/9205/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit $ pfiles 17413 .... 9: S_IFSOCK mode:0666 dev:284,0 ino:14870 uid:0 gid:0 size:0 O_RDWR FD_CLOEXEC sockname: AF_INE...

AT91SAM7S SCC port used as an SPI port
I once looked at the SAM7 parts for a project where I needed two SPI ports and very low power. I was told by the vendor that the SCC port could be used as an SPI port. Reading the data sheet does not make this obvious. I guess I could program the SCC port for I2S operation and use the frame sync signal like a select. This might work with the SPI device in slave mode and the SCC in master mode. Has anyone done something similar? Am I barking up the wrong tree? This is not a project that I can use a different processor for. The SAM7 is the selected part and I need to use it as best I can...

How can a new process use a used port?
(This is not nessarily a programming question but hopefully somebody here knows the answer. The system is SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R.) I thought a new process could not use a TCP port already used by another process. But on an Oracle database server, two processes both open 1522 on the same IP. They were started completely independent of each other (not from a common parent that opened port 1522 earlier). #TNS listener: $ ps -fp 17413 UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD oracle 17413 1 0 01:49:00 ? 0:00 /export/home/oracle/ products/9205/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inhe...

serial port: to use visa or not to use visa ?
please have a look at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/64a339377b5502a886256d03005ba7a7?OpenDocument is it recommendable to use this or visa serial port ? Can someone explain the difference? If I use visa, I have to install the visa driver separately - for the old technique no driver is necessary, is it ? In LabVIEW7 the old serial VIs have been removed, the only option is to use VISA. So you could say that NI has answered the question for you; use VISA(!). The old ones needed a driver, the driver was the 24KB file called serpdrv. If you included that tiny ...

How to use control parallel port and serial port?
Could anyone please tell me what function to use for controlling parallel port and serial port? Thanks ...

use of serial and parrallel port using C
Hi All, What kind of commands can I use to control the serial and parallel port of my pc. I want to use my laptop instead of microcontrollers and write my software in ANSI C to be used for control purposes of sensors and other electronic devices. I haven't done any C for a while now so I would assume my knowledge is that of a beginner now. A thousand thanks for any help offered or intended. Naveed "The Man With The Harmonica" <corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:cfvpon$dvf$1@rdel.co.uk: > Hi All, > > What kind of commands can I use to control t...

Problems Reading/Writing Parallel Port Data, Status & control Registers Using In Port.vi and Out port.vi
Hi, Can anyone there help me Please with the problem. I am trying to communicate with the parallel port using my program which i have attached to the message. I am running LabVIEW 7.0 Professional with application builder. All the program does is reads and writes to the three parallel port registers. It runs FINE!!! in my computer. But when i built an executable (see attached) and tried running on a different computer (with LabVIEW Runtime engine 7.0 installed) the program does not read/write to the registers. The target PC had the parallel port in SPP mode just like mine. I can't seem to...

Unusual question about generic port use (optional ports??)
Hi all ... I have been writing VHDL for many years now, but can't seem to figure something out. I'm writing a component called "cell" (no it has nothing to do with the cell processor). Since there are so many different variations on my cell architecture I have chosen to use generics and generate statements to create the necessary cell type based on generic values. Notice below that I have an input ep_in. Well, on some cells I don't need that input because the number of eprobs is zero. However, if I set num_eprobs to 0, ep_in becomes std_logic_vector(-1 downto ...

telnetd: All network ports in use. when using rootfs over NFS
Hi. For development of my embedded system, I have telnetd running. When I boot the system with the in-Flash rootfs, I can telnet into the system without any problem. But when I use the rootfs over NFS (for development of a kernel module), I get an 'All network ports in use.' return form telnetd. Anybody an idea why? toni root # telnet 192.168.10.250 Trying 192.168.10.250... Connected to 192.168.10.250. Escape character is '^]'. telnetd: All network ports in use. Connection closed by foreign host. toni root # -- Groeten, Toni Van Remortel Wetenschappelijk medewerker, D-scien...

Use of of port based VLAN to identify source port?
Hi, I am developing an Intertnet Access Server to provide interent access to individual hotel rooms. I need to find some way to associate the inital packet with a specific hotel room for billing purposes. It seems that using port based VLANs would be a way I could identify each individual room. Is this the the standard technique? If so - is it difficult to extract the VLAN information at the IP client level? I have not yet chosen a particular switch. Thanks "Tiger" <tadhgred@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4dc1dace.0309162353.1265ead0@posting.google.com.....

Can a USB port used by a printer be used for a scanner?
I've tried installing a scanner by connecting it to a USB port normally used for a printer. Can I do this? Like, when I want to use the printer or scanner i just connect then to the same port when needed? I would have thought so, but for some reason I can't see the scanner after installing the software In principle, yes, you can do that. However, some devices will only work with root ports (motherboard ports) and won't work on a hub port. And a particular product's drivers might behave in an unconventional way that, for that device, prohibited a mode of operation t...

Alternative to using system(command) or using with minimized window
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how my wxWidget app could invoke system programs (Cygwin .exe) without causing a maximized window. If I use system(<command string>), a command shell window pops up, which is quite aesthetically unpleasing. Is there some way I can tell the window to stay minimized, or is there some other API, so that the external program can be invoked quietly? I'm currently developing on Windows, using Dev-C++ and Cygwin. I know this is really not a wxWidget issue, but a compiler/environment one, but I figure many wxWidget programmers have had to deal ...

Can data from a SW port use an ISL on LW ports?
I have a FC SAN Fabric so all the ISLs are over SW 850nm links. The ISLs are in a transit VSAN and I use IVRs to access remote resources. This was all set up by the vendor that supplied the kit. I now need to add FICON to the SAN to connect Z/Os to IBM Tapes. So the FICON comes in on LW 1300nm ports. I intend to create additional ISLs using LW 1300nm ports to allow me to create Cascaded FICON VSANs. I was just wondering could I create a port channel that contains both SW and LW ports that would allow FICON and FCP traffic to utilise the bigger ISL pipe? The traffic would be isolated within ...

Ports used
I know it was just posted but I have lost my archives. What are the sports routinely used by FMP? "Technicians" <jeffa@NOSPAM.chem.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message news:c5vgb6$n5h$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au... > I know it was just posted but I have lost my archives. > > What are the sports routinely used by FMP? Well, it quite likes Hide and Seek, for files of the same name on the network... Ummm... OK, for FM 5/6, 5003 TCP and UDP - there was something funny about 5.0: http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/FMPro?-db=cdf%5ffaq.fp5&-format=%2fcdf%5ffaq%2 ffaq%5fdetails...

How to use E or F ports as Serial port in RCM 3700
hi, i know how to use serial port C and D in RCM 3700, but i want one more serial port it may be B or E or F. but i am unable to use as C & D, it is sending some garbage values if i sends to hyperterminal through E and F. please help me to Use one of the port out of them. thank you in advance --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com On 11/02/2010 17:28, sagar.kandikatla wrote: > hi, > > i know how to use serial port C and D in RCM 3700, but i want one more > serial port it may be B ...

alternative port
HI there, the well-known port (udp 123) on my ntp server is blocked by a fire wall. my question is if i can use a different port on the server for ntpd to listen to and of course the client also need to be configured to send request to that port. thanks. -jd On 2004-08-12, JIANDONG YANG, BLOOMBERG/ 499 PARK wrote: > the well-known port (udp 123) on my ntp server is blocked by a fire > wall. my question is if i can use a different port on the server for > ntpd to listen to and of course the client also need to be configured > to send request to that port. nptd only works...

Using Ports
Greetings, Can anyone give me a clue on how to check which ports are installed on my bsd box? I'm interested in this function because I dont have any idea what port dependencies were installed by a main port. Thanks On 2004-07-21, NSLookUp <nslookup@mail.telepac.pt> wrote: > Can anyone give me a clue on how to check which ports are installed on > my bsd box? > I'm interested in this function because I dont have any idea what port > dependencies were installed by a main port. ls -latr /var/db/pkg NSLookUp wrote: > Can anyone give m...