web scripts and local mail problem with sendmail 8.12.10 ... REWARD OFFERED!

I have just recently upgraded to sendmail 8.12.10 on a Red Hat
Enterprise system. I have Apache 2.0.46 with PHP 4.3.2

The problem I'm having is that all of my scripts (PHP and Perl) which
use mail functions result in maillog entries with

SYSERR(apache): savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere

among other things.  I have found other posts in the sendmail group
which describe the same problem, but I haven't found the end solution
as of yet.  If there is a post that I've missed that explains this, I
apologize for the duplication here.

On the advice of previous posts, I did try sending mail locally on the
command line from apache to my local user account. The results I got
are as follows, and I get the same results when sending mail from any
local user to any other local user:

date | sendmail -f apache -v meg

meg... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 host.mydomain.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10/8.12.10; Tue, 20 Jan 2004
06:43:33 -0600
>>> EHLO host.mydomain.com
250-host.mydomain.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
>>> MAIL From:<apache@host.mydomain.com> SIZE=29
AUTH=apache@host.mydomain.com
553 5.3.0 <apache@host.mydomain.com>... Address invalid
apache... Using cached ESMTP connection to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
>>> RSET
250 2.0.0 Reset state
>>> MAIL From:<> SIZE=1053
250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<apache@host.mydomain.com>
>>> DATA
553 5.3.0 <apache@host.mydomain.com>... Address invalid
503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)
>>> RSET
250 2.0.0 Reset state
>>> RSET
250 2.0.0 Reset state
postmaster... Using cached ESMTP connection to [127.0.0.1] via
relay...
>>> MAIL From:<> SIZE=2077
250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<postmaster@host.mydomain.com>
>>> DATA
553 5.3.0 <postmaster@host.mydomain.com>... Address invalid
503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)
>>> RSET
250 2.0.0 Reset state
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 host.mydomain.com closing connection

When I use fully qualified names, I get the following ...

date | sendmail -f apache@mydomain.com -v meg@mydomain.com

meg@mydomain.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 megamix.mydomain.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10/8.12.10; Tue, 20 Jan
2004 06:59:51 -0600
>>> EHLO megamix.mydomain.com
250-megamix.mydomain.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet
250 2.1.0 <apache@mydomain.com>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<meg@mydomain.com>
>>> DATA
250 2.1.5 <meg@mydomain.com>... Recipient ok
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
250 2.0.0 i0KCxpNB016684 Message accepted for delivery
meg@mydomain.com... Sent (i0KCxpNB016684 Message accepted for
delivery)
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 megamix.mydomain.com closing connection

Again, I apologize if the solution is already out there somewhere, but
I have spent over a week on trying to find the proper line(s) in
sendmail.mc or submit.mc that will fix this. I'd be more than happy to
send anyone who helps me with this anything from a wishlist or even
cold hard cash (my budget is $50)

TIA
Meg

meg beAt netstash dotte nette
0
meg1 (5)

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:07:21 -0800 Meg Prescott wrote:

> I have just recently upgraded to sendmail 8.12.10 on a Red Hat
> Enterprise system. I have Apache 2.0.46 with PHP 4.3.2
>
> The problem I'm having is that all of my scripts (PHP and Perl) which
> use mail functions result in maillog entries with
>
> SYSERR(apache): savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere
>
> among other things.  I have found other posts in the sendmail group
> which describe the same problem, but I haven't found the end solution
> as of yet.  If there is a post that I've missed that explains this, I
> apologize for the duplication here.
>
> On the advice of previous posts, I did try sending mail locally on the
> command line from apache to my local user account. The results I got
> are as follows, and I get the same results when sending mail from any
> local user to any other local user:

[ snipped logs ]

> Again, I apologize if the solution is already out there somewhere, but
> I have spent over a week on trying to find the proper line(s) in
> sendmail.mc or submit.mc that will fix this. I'd be more than happy to
> send anyone who helps me with this anything from a wishlist or even
> cold hard cash (my budget is $50)
>
> TIA
> Meg
>
> meg beAt netstash dotte nette

Set a resolvable domain name for your sendmail host with in sendmail.mc

define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `domain.tld')dnl

Maybe use masquerade features.

MASQUERADE_AS(`domain.tld')dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl

Be sure the domain part of sender addresses
are resolvable. Check your DNS and hosts file too. Set the host/domain
names your sendmail host has handle as local in local-host-names.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999

Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.01.20.13.24.29.894880@uni-bielefeld.de>...
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:07:21 -0800 Meg Prescott wrote:
>
> > I have just recently upgraded to sendmail 8.12.10 on a Red Hat
> > Enterprise system. I have Apache 2.0.46 with PHP 4.3.2
> >
> > The problem I'm having is that all of my scripts (PHP and Perl) which
> > use mail functions result in maillog entries with
> >
> > SYSERR(apache): savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere
> >
> > among other things.  I have found other posts in the sendmail group
> > which describe the same problem, but I haven't found the end solution
> > as of yet.  If there is a post that I've missed that explains this, I
> > apologize for the duplication here.
> >
> > On the advice of previous posts, I did try sending mail locally on the
> > command line from apache to my local user account. The results I got
> > are as follows, and I get the same results when sending mail from any
> > local user to any other local user:
>
> [ snipped logs ]
>
> > Again, I apologize if the solution is already out there somewhere, but
> > I have spent over a week on trying to find the proper line(s) in
> > sendmail.mc or submit.mc that will fix this. I'd be more than happy to
> > send anyone who helps me with this anything from a wishlist or even
> > cold hard cash (my budget is $50)
> >
> > TIA
> > Meg
> >
> > meg beAt netstash dotte nette
>
> Set a resolvable domain name for your sendmail host with in sendmail.mc
>
> define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `domain.tld')dnl
>
> Maybe use masquerade features.
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`domain.tld')dnl
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
>
> Be sure the domain part of sender addresses
> are resolvable. Check your DNS and hosts file too. Set the host/domain
> names your sendmail host has handle as local in local-host-names.
>
> Alexander

Thank you for the response, however those settings did not have any
effect ... I'm still getting the same output from the commands above.
I have a feeling I have too many things going on in my sendmail.mc
and/or submit.mc files, but I've tried so many combinations that I
can't look at them with clear eyes any more.  Here is what I have in
sendmail.mc file with all comments stripped out:

divert(-1)dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `mydomain.com')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',
`authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`genericstable',`hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable.db')dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1 Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=123.145.167.189 Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost')dnl
MAILER(`local')
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

And here is submit.mc (I've left this alone ... no changes from the
default I had on my system):

divert(-1)
#
# Copyright (c) 2001-2003 Sendmail, Inc. and its suppliers.
#       All rights reserved.
#
# By using this file, you agree to the terms and conditions set
# forth in the LICENSE file which can be found at the top level of
# the sendmail distribution.
#
#

#
#  This is the prototype file for a set-group-ID sm-msp sendmail that
#  acts as a initial mail submission program.
#

divert(0)dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`linux setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
define(`confCF_VERSION', `Submit')dnl
define(`__OSTYPE__',`')dnl dirty hack to keep proto.m4 from
complaining
define(`_USE_DECNET_SYNTAX_', `1')dnl support DECnet
define(`confTIME_ZONE', `USE_TZ')dnl
define(`confDONT_INIT_GROUPS', `True')dnl
define(`confPID_FILE', `/var/run/sm-client.pid')dnl
dnl define(`confDIRECT_SUBMISSION_MODIFIERS',`C')
FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl
dnl
dnl If you use IPv6 only, change [127.0.0.1] to [IPv6:::1]
FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl

I'm still unclear as to how these two .mc files interact, so that
could certainly be a factor as well.

Again, I thank you for your help!

Meg

meg att netstash dotte nette
0
meg1 (5)
1/21/2004 1:32:57 PM
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:32:57 -0800 Meg Prescott wrote:

[ snip ]

> Thank you for the response, however those settings did not have any
> effect ... I'm still getting the same output from the commands above.
> I have a feeling I have too many things going on in my sendmail.mc
> and/or submit.mc files, but I've tried so many combinations that I
> can't look at them with clear eyes any more.  Here is what I have in
> sendmail.mc file with all comments stripped out:

[ snipped sendmail.mc - ok so far ]

> And here is submit.mc (I've left this alone ... no changes from the
> default I had on my system):

[ snipped submit.mc - RH standard, ok so far ]

> I'm still unclear as to how these two .mc files interact, so that
> could certainly be a factor as well.
>
> Again, I thank you for your help!
>
> Meg

Ok Meg, your problem is still that your Sendmail uses your hostname for
sending and receiving mail and not just the domain name. Am I right? So

sendmail -bt -d0 < /dev/null

shows you something like

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = host
  (canonical domain name) $j = host.mydomain.com
         (subdomain name) $m = mydomain.com
              (node name) $k = host.mydomain.com

Did you rebuild the sendmail.cf after change on sendmail.mc using "make -C
/etc/mail"? I suspect so, and you restarted Sendmail using "service
sendmail restart".

So you can change these classes with following at the end of sendmail.mc:

LOCAL_CONFIG
Djmydomain.com
Dkmydomain.com

Alexander

--

Meg Prescott wrote:

> AUTH=apache@host.mydomain.com
> 553 5.3.0 <apache@host.mydomain.com>... Address invalid

Did you lock yourself out?

grep 'Address invalid' /etc/mail/access

grep 'Address invalid' /etc/mail/s*cf

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bumfhl$jmd$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
> Did you lock yourself out?
>
> grep 'Address invalid' /etc/mail/access
> grep 'Address invalid' /etc/mail/s*cf

I've recompiled sendmail.cf after each change to sendmail.mc ... I've
restarted sendmail after each change ... there are no entries in
/etc/mail/access that would block apache or any other local user ...
and even with the suggested changes above I am still having the same
problem.

Ultimately I want to get my PHP scripts back up and running ... I have
determined that I can use an exec() statement which calls sendmail and
get a message sent (again, giving fully qualified email addresses for
arguments to sendmail).  I'm just concerned that this might be a
riskier way to go about handling PHP generated email.  As long as I
fully check for valid data being passed to the sendmail command, is
there any other pitfall to using this strategy?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this!

Meg
0
meg1 (5)
1/22/2004 3:00:16 PM
Meg Prescott wrote:
> Claus A�mann

> > Did you lock yourself out?

> > grep 'Address invalid' /etc/mail/access
> > grep 'Address invalid' /etc/mail/s*cf

> I've recompiled sendmail.cf after each change to sendmail.mc ... I've
> restarted sendmail after each change ... there are no entries in
> /etc/mail/access that would block apache or any other local user ...
> and even with the suggested changes above I am still having the same
> problem.

So neither of the two commands give any output?

"Address invalid" does not appear in the sendmail source
code nor in the m4 files we distribute with sendmail 8.12.

Hence my question why it appears in the rejection message.
Either you changed the default configuration or you changed
access_db.

PS: does the PHP mail() function allow you to specify the
envelope sender address?
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
0
Claus
1/22/2004 3:54:49 PM
Meg Prescott wrote:
> Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<bumfhl$jmd$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
>
>>Did you lock yourself out?
>>
>>grep 'Address invalid' /etc/mail/access
>>grep 'Address invalid' /etc/mail/s*cf
>

> I've recompiled sendmail.cf after each change to sendmail.mc ... I've
> restarted sendmail after each change ... there are no entries in
> /etc/mail/access that would block apache or any other local user ...
> and even with the suggested changes above I am still having the same
> problem.
>
> Ultimately I want to get my PHP scripts back up and running ... I have
> determined that I can use an exec() statement which calls sendmail and
> get a message sent (again, giving fully qualified email addresses for
> arguments to sendmail).  I'm just concerned that this might be a
> riskier way to go about handling PHP generated email.  As long as I
> fully check for valid data being passed to the sendmail command, is
> there any other pitfall to using this strategy?
>
> Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this!
>
> Meg

In PHP the best way to handle emails is to employ the built-in mail
command. You ought to get better error messages with this feature than
attempting to roll your own.

--
Nam concordia parvae res crescunt, discordia maximae dilabuntar.

0
gerry4653 (112)
1/22/2004 6:33:51 PM
Claus A�mann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<buoro9$r56$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...

> So neither of the two commands give any output?
>
> "Address invalid" does not appear in the sendmail source
> code nor in the m4 files we distribute with sendmail 8.12.

That is correct ... I get no output when I grep for "Address invalid"
in any of the source code or m4 files.

> Hence my question why it appears in the rejection message.
> Either you changed the default configuration or you changed
> access_db.

The only changes I have made are to the default sendmail.mc file (the
most recent attempt is listed above). After each change I compiled a
new sendmail.cf and restarted sendmail ... same results each time.
Using local usernames (both as the TO and FROM addresses) to send mail
at the command line produce the error messages seen above ... fully
qualified email addresses work just fine on the command line.
Further, email from

> PS: does the PHP mail() function allow you to specify the
> envelope sender address?

It does ... and I have done that with my PHP code, but I keep getting
mail errors. Even if I specify the sender address, the system still
shows the message as coming from apache.

Here is a typical mail() example I've used in a number of PHP scripts
I maintain ... these worked fine in sendmail 8.10 but no longer work
with sendmail 8.12:

   $mailto = "info@mydomain.com";  /// a local address to receive the
message
   $subject = "Web site info request";
   $other_hdrs  = "From: someuser@someotherdomain.com"; // any email
address
   $msg_body = "Thanks for the message ... we will get back to you
shortly";

   mail($mailto,$subject,$msg_body,$other_hdrs);

When you run the above code the following appears in the maillog:

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mn019676: from=apache,
size=82, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<200401230148.i0N1m4mn019676@host.mydomain.com>,
relay=apache@localhost

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mn019676:
to=info@mydomain.com, ctladdr=apache (48/48), delay=00:00:00,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30082, relay=[127.0.0.1]
[127.0.0.1], dsn=5.6.0, stat=Data format error

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mn019676: i0N1m4mo019676:
DSN: Data format error

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19678]: i0N1m4K7019678:
<apache@host.mydomain.com>... Address invalid

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mo019676: to=apache,
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=31106,
relay=[127.0.0.1], dsn=5.3.0, stat=User unknown

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19678]: i0N1m4K7019678: from=<>,
size=1106, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=Daemon0,
relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mo019676: i0N1m4mp019676:
return to sender: User unknown

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19678]: i0N1m4K9019678:
<postmaster@host.mydomain.com>... Address invalid

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mp019676: to=postmaster,
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=32130,
relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=5.3.0, stat=User unknown

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19678]: i0N1m4K9019678: from=<>,
size=2130, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=Daemon0,
relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mo019676: Losing
../qfi0N1m4mo019676: savemail panic

Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mo019676: SYSERR(apache):
savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere

What these log entries tell me is that 1) even though I specify a
sender address in my PHP script, the mail system still sees it as
coming from apache (the local web server user) and 2) messages from
local accounts (like apache) are turned into fully qualified addresses
incorrectly (full hostname instead of just the domain name).
0
meg1 (5)
1/23/2004 2:11:19 AM
"G. Roderick Singleton" <gerry@test.pathtech.org> wrote in message news:<jIUPb.295$l4.1157@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...

> In PHP the best way to handle emails is to employ the built-in mail
> command. You ought to get better error messages with this feature than
> attempting to roll your own.

Well you see, therein lies the problem.  My perfectly good PHP and
Perl scripts that generated email messages just fine under sendmail
8.10 now no longer work under sendmail 8.12 ... ideally I would like
to keep my scripts as-is since the mail() function is an extremely
useful feature and easy to use.
0
meg1 (5)
1/23/2004 2:12:51 AM
In article <3f910e78.0401221811.28f2fd62@posting.google.com>
meg@netstash.net (Meg Prescott) writes:
>Claus A�mann
><ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in
>message news:<buoro9$r56$1@zardoc.esmtp.org>...
>
>> So neither of the two commands give any output?
>>
>> "Address invalid" does not appear in the sendmail source
>> code nor in the m4 files we distribute with sendmail 8.12.
>
>That is correct ... I get no output when I grep for "Address invalid"
>in any of the source code or m4 files.

Well it's not invented on the fly by the sendmail daemon either - i.e.
since it is coming from your local SMTP server, it seems you aren't
entirely clear about all details of its config... E.g. note that error
messages can come from other maps than access db - check your
virtusertable, mailertable, etc.

>> PS: does the PHP mail() function allow you to specify the
>> envelope sender address?
>
>It does ... and I have done that with my PHP code, but I keep getting
>mail errors. Even if I specify the sender address, the system still
>shows the message as coming from apache.
>
>Here is a typical mail() example I've used in a number of PHP scripts
>I maintain ... these worked fine in sendmail 8.10 but no longer work
>with sendmail 8.12:
>
>   $mailto = "info@mydomain.com";  /// a local address to receive the
>message
>   $subject = "Web site info request";
>   $other_hdrs  = "From: someuser@someotherdomain.com"; // any email
>address

That is not the *envelope* sender address, but the *header* sender
address. For checks performed in a standard sendmail config, the headers
are irrelevant - and based on the SMTP dialogue in your first posting,
it is indeed the envelope address (MAIL From:<apache@host.mydomain.com>)
that is rejected. Furthermore, it seems to be rejected as recipient
address too, as is postmaster@host.mydomain.com as recipient. I.e.
something in your config is rejecting all user@host.mydomain.com
envelope addresses, regardless of 'user' and whether sender or
recipient.

>What these log entries tell me is that 1) even though I specify a
>sender address in my PHP script, the mail system still sees it as
>coming from apache (the local web server user)

Yes, since you didn't provide an envelope sender address (we still don't
know whether that's possible with the PHP mail() interface), sendmail
will create one based on the userid of the process invoking sendmail.

> and 2) messages from
>local accounts (like apache) are turned into fully qualified addresses
>incorrectly (full hostname instead of just the domain name).

Well, whether it's incorrect is a matter of opinion, it's certainly the
only reasonable default way. But I gather you want something else, and
that is normally achieved with masquerading - which you apparently do
have in your config. What is new in 8.12 is the MSP (Message Submission
Program, just another instance of sendmail) which runs off submit.cf and
just hands the message to the MTA listening on port 25.

When doing that, the MSP needs to fully-qualify addresses to fulfill the
requirements of SMTP, and since the submit.cf is (and is supposed to be)
"stupid", the local hostname will be used. This is normally no problem
since the MTA - the one that does the masquerading - will masquerade
such addresses too. Only in your case it doesn't happen, because there is
something in your config that rejecsts the user@host.mydomain.com
addresses before there is any chance of applying the masquerading.

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org

0
per71 (2635)
1/24/2004 10:57:28 AM
"Meg Prescott" <meg@netstash.net> wrote in message

>> PS: does the PHP mail() function allow you to specify the
>> envelope sender address?
>
> It does ... and I have done that with my PHP code, but I keep getting
> mail errors. Even if I specify the sender address, the system still
> shows the message as coming from apache.
>
> Here is a typical mail() example I've used in a number of PHP scripts
> I maintain ... these worked fine in sendmail 8.10 but no longer work
> with sendmail 8.12:
>
>    $mailto = "info@mydomain.com";  /// a local address to receive the
> message
>    $subject = "Web site info request";
>    $other_hdrs  = "From: someuser@someotherdomain.com"; // any email
> address
>    $msg_body = "Thanks for the message ... we will get back to you
> shortly";
>
>    mail($mailto,$subject,$msg_body,$other_hdrs);
>
> When you run the above code the following appears in the maillog:
[...]
> Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19676]: i0N1m4mn019676: i0N1m4mo019676:
> DSN: Data format error
>
> Jan 22 19:48:04 host sendmail[19678]: i0N1m4K7019678:
> <apache@host.mydomain.com>... Address invalid
[...]
> What these log entries tell me is that 1) even though I specify a
> sender address in my PHP script, the mail system still sees it as
> coming from apache (the local web server user) and 2) messages from
> local accounts (like apache) are turned into fully qualified addresses
> incorrectly (full hostname instead of just the domain name).

I believe that what's happening is a result of your malformed headers
causing sendmail to experience the "Data format error" at the same time as
causing the From: header to not be recognized, thus returning the mail to
apache@host.mydomain.com.

A correct header structure would be:

    $other_hdrs  = "From: someuser@someotherdomain.com\r\n";

The lack of the carriage return and newline is causing the message body to
be concatenated with the From: header, thus causing the "Data format error"
and the lack of functional recognition of the From: header.

Please see http://www.phpbuilder.com/manual/function.mail.php for usage and
more examples.

        tony

--
use hotmail for any email replies

ynotssor
1/30/2004 3:04:49 AM
I wrote in message

> I believe that what's happening is a result of your malformed headers
> causing sendmail to experience the "Data format error" at the same
> time as causing the From: header to not be recognized, thus returning
> the mail to apache@host.mydomain.com.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "your malformed headers", as the examples use a
similar structure for the addition of a *single* header. I have found from
the experience of others that in some versions of php it does make a
difference however, so it's at least worth a try.

        tony

--
use hotmail for any email replies

ynotssor

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 of these messages in syslog during the time of the incident; Jun 12 09:02:04 peace sendmail-mta[22621]: j5CD04jr022619: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:03:03 peace sendmail-mta[23982]: j5CD13Ef023979: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:04:36 peace sendmail-mta[26086]: j5CD2aaO026076: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:05:38 peace sendmail-mta[27455]: j5CD3bKd027452: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:01 peace sendmail-mta[27939]: j5CD411x027931: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:16 peace sendmail-mta[28248]: j5CD4GmD028243: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 8 S root 8888 1 0 49 20 69174...

sendmail-8.12.10 vs. sendmail-8.12.8
Hi, What is the fundamental difference between sendmail-8.12.10 and sendmail-8.12.8? Right after I upgrade my RH9 (sendmail-8.12.8) to Fedora C1 (sendmail-8.12.10), my Mozilla can't send email any more. It will pop up an input box for me to authorize the smtp connection from my user account to localhost. This extra step was never necessary before. More over, even I input my right password, Mozilla will still fail the authorization. What is the right way to configure it so that this extra authorization step is not necessary? I searched on google before raising this question, and it seems that it is still an unsolved problem: http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=m2y8tjvp3g.fsf%40consult.pretender&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dr%26as_drrb%3Dq%26q%3Dmozilla%2Bfedora%2Bsmtp%2B%2Bgroup%253A*linux*%26btnG%3DSearch ,----- | > > Didi you ever get this working? I have spent many hours trying to | > > accomplish this exact thing, but with no solution yet... | > | > No luck so far... I am surprised that I never heard any responses back | > since I would have thought that either more people are effected or I | > am missing something very trivial. | | I had the basically the same problem after "upgrading" to | sendmail-8.12.10-1.1.1 on fedora, with the same error while attempting | to sendmail through mozilla, though my "usual" mail worked fine. I | m...

Problem sending external mail (RedHat AS3.0/Sendmail 8.12.11)
I have what must be a very simple configuration error, but not being a sendmail expert, I can't seem find it. The system is a new RedHat AS v3.0 which runs sendmail 8.12.11. I am using a generic sendmail.mc file, although I did comment out the following line, as per instructions: dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl which resulted in incoming mail starting to flow. I haven't fooled with any of the other configuration files in /etc/mail. I can receive external (incoming) mail just fine, and I can send mail to local users just fine too. But I cannot send ANY external mail, as I always receive errors of the following form: Aug 11 12:43:15 spoken sendmail[16956]: i7BGhFMs016956: from=test1, size=43, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200408111643.i7BGhFMs016956@localhost.localdomain>, relay=test1@localhost Aug 11 12:43:15 spoken sendmail[16958]: i7BGhFQD016958: <seth@speech.mit.edu>... User unknown Aug 11 12:43:15 spoken sendmail[16956]: i7BGhFMs016956: to=seth@speech.mit.edu, ctladdr=test1 (500/501), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30043, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=5.1.1, stat=User unknown Aug 11 12:43:15 spoken sendmail[16958]: i7BGhFQD016958: from=<test1@localhost.localdoma in>, size=43, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=spoken [127.0.0.1] Similarly, a Squirrel mail user (connecting to this host via spoken.mit.edu/webmail) trying to send external mail receives the somewh...

sendmail-8.12.10 compilation problems
Hi, I can't compile my sendmail-8.12.10 with the DNEWDB option. (Sun Solaris 8, Gcc 3.3.2, db 4.2.52) Could anybody help me, please? Regards, Ninou Ninou wrote: > I can't compile my sendmail-8.12.10 with the DNEWDB option. (Sun Solaris 8, > Gcc 3.3.2, db 4.2.52) > > Could anybody help me, please? What goes wrong ? What error are reported by sendmail Build script ? The link below may lead to some hints: http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.31 Q3.31 -- What does "class hash not available" mean? -- Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip http://anfi.webhop.net backup: anfi@xl.wp.pl *Random Epigram* : There are four stages to a marriage. First there's the affair, then there's the marriage, then children and finally the fourth stage, without which you cannot know a woman, the divorce. -- Norman Mailer On 18 f�vr. 2004, you wrote in comp.mail.sendmail: > Ninou wrote: >> I can't compile my sendmail-8.12.10 with the DNEWDB option. (Sun >> Solaris 8, Gcc 3.3.2, db 4.2.52) >> >> Could anybody help me, please? > > What goes wrong ? > What error are reported by sendmail Build script ? > > The link below may lead to some hints: > http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.31 > Q3.31 -- What does "class hash not available" mean? > Hi, Thanks for your answer. During my compilation I obtain : gcc -O -I. -I../../include -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include -DNEWDB -...

Sendmail 8.12 masquerade with mail hub
I am having a problem attempting to masquerade a domain while using a mail hub. I did not have a problem with this prior to upgrading to 8.12. The following config file works with 8.11.6, but does not work with 8.12.x. Is it still possible to masquerade the domain of the mail hub? I am using the standard submit.cf file and the following is what I am using to generate my cf file: divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: host.mc,v 8.11 2001/02/21 07:26:03 craig Exp $') OSTYPE(solaris2)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dnl FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl FEATURE(virtusertable, `btree -o /...

Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.10 and aliases file
Hi, I've tested the aliases issue on Fedora/Sendmail 8.12.8 and 8.12.10 on few boxes (four) and I'm getting the same result - when sending email by using 'mail' it doesn't references to aliases file. When debugging I can see that aliases file is read. Any inputs or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Magda All I've done is: 1. /etc/mail/sendmail.cf set smart relay #DS DSrelay:mailhost set domain name to AAA: #Dj$w.Foo.COM Dj$w.AAA.com 2 /etc/mail/submit.cf set smart relay #DS DSrelay:mailhost set MTA #D{MTAHost}[127.0.0.1] D{MTAHost} mailhost set domain name #Dj$w.Foo.COM Dj$w.AAA.com 3. /etc/hosts set mailhost to notes server 10.xxx.xx.xx mailhost xxx.AAA.com 4. trun off sendmail: # chkconfig --list | grep on #chckonfig sendamil off #service sendmail stop 5. DNS verify /etc/resolv.conf file 6. test MTA functionality: # mail -v name@AAA.com test 7. set cron entry to run 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/lib/sendmail -q For some reason when I try to send email using MTA it doesn't read aliases file. For instance /etc/aliases file has entry: magda mhewryk@xxx.com 1). debug looks good, an alias is found # sendmail -bv -d27.2 magda magda (, magda) aliased to mhewryk@AAA.com self_reference(mhewryk@AAA.com) ... no self ref mhewryk@AAA.com... deliverable: mailer esmtp, host AAA.com., user mhewryk@AAA.com 2.) When I add a double entry to aliases file is sees it # newaliases /etc/aliases: line 88: magda... ...

Mail stuck in clientmqueue
Hi, Perhaps someone can help me, I am having trouble with mail not leaving the clientmqueue directory. Any messages sent stay in the clientmqueue directory, when is run "sendmail -Ac -v -q" I get the output below. I don't understand what file or directory sendmail is looking for. I'm afriad I am not very experienced with sendmail, and as such am probably not explaining my problem very well. Woudl any other information/logs be helpful for debugging this? Many thanks, David. Running /var/spool/clientmqueue/i679khb8080751 (sequence 1 of 5) root... Connecting to localhost.. via relay... 220 xxx.xxx.xxx ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.11/8.12.11; Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:47:55 GMT >>> EHLO xxx.xxx.xxx 250-xxx.xxx.xxx Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250-DSN 250-ETRN 250-DELIVERBY 250 HELP >>> MAIL From:<> SIZE=1974 250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok >>> RCPT To:<root@xxx.xxx.xxx> >>> DATA 250 2.1.5 <root@xxx.xxx.xxx>... Recipient ok 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself >>> . 421 4.3.0 collect: Cannot write ./dfi679ltqe081182 (bfcommit, uid=0, gid=25): No such file or directory >>> QUIT root... Deferred: 421 4.3.0 collect: Cannot write ./dfi679ltqe081182 (bfcommit, uid=0, gid=25): No such file or directory David FitzGerald wrote: > root... Connecting to localhost.. via relay... > 220 xxx.xxx.xxx ESMTP Send...

Sun mail services 8.12.10 problem
I am running Sun's Sendmail 8.12.10 on Solaris 9. This is a new server and fully fully patched. I just realized that with the latest Sun cluster patch, the sendmail daemon uses the submit.cf file, instead of the sendmail.cf. I have to use the sendmail.cf for my genericstable. Is there a way to only use the sendmail.cf? Any help would be greatly appreciated! -djb djb wrote: > I am running Sun's Sendmail 8.12.10 on Solaris 9. This is a new server and > fully fully patched. I just realized that with the latest Sun cluster patch, > the sendmail daemon uses the submit.cf file, instead of the sendmail.cf. I > have to use the sendmail.cf for my genericstable. Is there a way to only use > the sendmail.cf? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd suggest grabbing the source for 8.12 and reading sendmail/SECURITY. The short answer is, ignore (indeed don't touch) submit.cf. You now have 2 daemons, one that uses submit.cf to pass mail to the primary daemon that uses sendmail.cf. -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards! What are they? Zombies. Are they dead? No, they're undead. So they're like you? No, zombies are slow, dim-witted, evil undead beings. So, they're like you? That's the next step, removing Sun's mail package and compiling Sendmail. Yeah, I knew about the 2 daemons. Thanks for the reply! -djb "Rob MacGregor" <me@privacy.net> wrote...

sending e-mail to oneself (w/ sendmail 8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8)
Hello everyone, I hate to ask a basic question. But I already spent two weeks. I think I have suffered enough to post a question. I have been using Solaris 9 (SPARC) for years. My sendmail.mc with older sendmail worked okay for years. Now I updated my machine to Solaris 10, which comes with a newer version of sendmail (8.13.8). I tried my old sendmail.mc (with some tweaks) but it didn't work. So, I reverted the changes I made, one by one. Finally, I used the original sendmail.mc that comes with Solaris 10. It still didn't work. The problem I'm having is that I cannot send e-mails to myself. (Mail client == Mail host) I tried: # /usr/lib/sendmail -v myself </dev/null It hangs. The mail is stored in a spool because sendmail failed to deliver. I can see it by using 'mailq' command. Eventually the e-mail is forwarded to 'root' as an undeliverable e- mail (from MAIL-DAEMON). 553 5.3.5 mailhost.my_domain.com config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)554 5.3.5 Local configuration error As you my suspect, I can send an e-mail to somebody else (local). // My question is: What is the correct sequence should occur when sending e-mail to oneself? How can I debug this problem? (After e-amil is submitted to a mail spool) // The newer version of sendmail now uses 'submit.cf'. I'm suspecting that sendmail puts e-mails into a spool even the e-mail doesn't need any relaying. As my understanding of sendmail is very shallow, I'...

problem sendmail sendmail-8.13.8 , aliases and LDAP
Hi guys , Im trying to connect my sendmail to my LDAP. In fact in my ldap i the following field mailLocalAddress with the e- mail of the employee ( john.dupont@mycompanie.com ) le in an other field i have rfc822MailMember which is jdupont@server1.mycompanie.com (where jdupont is the account of my employee for the server1). Now I d like to set up a sendmail server that can translate the e-mail to the rfc822MailMember address. Here is my following configuration : site.config.m4 dnl #compilation de sendmail avec support ldapdnl APPENDDEF(`confMAPDEF', `-DLDAPMAP') APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/apps/openldap-2.1.30/include') APPENDDEF(`confLIBSDIRS', `-L/apps/openldap-2.1.30/lib') APPENDDEF(`confLIBS', `-lldap -llber') sendmail.mc define(`confLDAP_DEFAULT_SPEC',`-h myldap.mycompanie.com ')dnl define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/mail/aliases, ldap:-k "(&(objectClass=inetLocalMailRecipient)(mailLocalAddress=%0))" -d "cn=bindcn,ou=sec,dc=mycompanie,dc=fr" -P "/etc/mail/ldapconnect" -M LDAP_AUTH_SIMPLE -b "dc=mycompanie,dc=fr" -v "rfc822MailMember" ')dnl so when i try to send and e mail to john.dupont with my e-amil client i have the following error "Error 5.1.1 john.dupont@mycompanie.com User unknow. I ve the following log john.dupont@mycompanie.com ... User unknown And i my ldap server i ve the following log Feb 5 13:57:59 ldapserver slapd[7702]: conn=30283 fd=27 ACC...

sendmail 8.14.1 send mail authorization problem
I've got problem with sending mail via sendmail 8.14.1 on Fedora. Normaly I can send email to any server from access list, but I want to send it to all servers using send mail authorization. I put this lines to sendmail.mc: TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl also: TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl As I said without this lines I can send emails to servers from access list. With this lines I cannot send anything. During authorization (with this linev above) server requests for password, I use the same as for reading mail via pop3, unfortunately it doesn't work, even if I try to send email to myself. There is no info in logs :( m4, makemap and restart works.. cyrus-sasl is installed. I've tried to put into /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf this lines: pwcheck_method:saslauthd pwcheck_method:pam pwcheck_method:shadow pwcheck_method:passwd and nothing. /etc/pam.d/smtp looks like this: #%PAM-1.0 auth include system-auth account include system-auth telnet shows:: telnet localhost 25 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. 220 x.pl ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1; Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:43:30 +0200 ehlo localhost 250-x.pl Hello x.pl [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-PIPELINING 250-8BITMIME 250-SIZE 250...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Sendmail 8.12.8 virtuser problem
I am running Sendmail 8.12.8 (stock RedHat 9.0 install). I am trying to use virtusertable and am having a bit of a problem. My files are such: #### sendmail.mc #### FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl #### virtusertable #### joe@jeffb.org joey @jeffb.org smithy I do a make -C /etc/mail which makes the sendmail.cf and does the makemap hash virtusertable. (verified by checking dates on files) I then do: sendmail -bt >/map virtuser joe@jeffb.org map_lookup: virtuser (joe@jeffb.org) returns joey@jeffb.org (0) >/map virtuser blondy@jef...

problem sendmail sendmail-8.13.8 , aliases and LDAP #2
[...]

Aliasing problem with sendmail 8.12.10 and OpenLDAP 2.0.27
Hello, I recently upgraded from Redhat 7.2 with sendmail 8.11.6 and OpenLDAP 2.0.27 to Redhat Enterprise 3 with Sendmail 8.12.10 and OpenLDAP 2.0.27. I'd been using LDAP for forwarding, with the following m4 configuration directives: define(`confLDAP_DEFAULT_SPEC',`-h localhost -b dc=perestroika,dc=org') define(`ALIAS_FILE', `ldap: -v forward -k(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%0))') This causes problems in my new environment. If I enable the above lines, the relay messages in my maillog start to look like this: Apr 1 04:12:43 alogia sendmail[6956]: STARTTLS=server, relay=[209.162.198.165], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, ve rify=FAIL, cipher=EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA, bits=168/168 I've also noticed that when the aliasing directives are on, if I telnet directly to sendmail, the connection is dropped as soon as I send a RCPT To: <user@perestroika.org>. A couple of other facts: The LDAP search succeeds on the command line, and parsing addresses with 'sendmail -bt' doesn't issue errors, but the forward fields in the LDAP database aren't returned (though I don't whether that's expected). I've been struggling with this for a few days, and am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, -Daniel In article <kksu6013668oj49fmg830gkq3mmh8fe73c@4ax.com> Daniel Landau <np0803@perestroika.org> writes: >Hello, >I recently upgraded from Redhat 7.2 with sendmail 8.11.6 and OpenLDAP >2.0.27 to Redhat Enterpris...

solaris 8 with sendmail-8.12.8 , smart-relay problem , please help
My Server is SUN V120 , OS : solaris 8 with sendmail-8.12.8 My smart-relay is set with DStest.xyz.com, If i telnet to V120 , use mailx to send mail , The Smart-relay is ok sendmail log is Dec 19 16:59:08 mail2 sendmail[25117]: [ID 801593 mail.info] kBJ8x7Nb025117: from=root, size=38566, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200612190859.kBJ8x7Nb025117@mail2.xyz.com>, relay=root@localhost Dec 19 16:59:08 mail2 sendmail[25117]: [ID 801593 mail.info] kBJ8x7Nb025117: to=wenshinc@gmail.com, ctladdr=root (0/1), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30052, relay=bf.xyz.com.tw. [192.168.10.3], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (kBJ93eCh006508 Message accepted for delivery) But , if I use outlook or outlook express to send mail . The Smart-relay isn't work sendmail log is Dec 19 17:02:04 mail2 sendmail[25225]: [ID 801593 mail.info] kBJ924bA025225: from=<root@mail2.xyz.com>, size=1094, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<017301c7234e$a8c0fe30$1614a8c0@xyz.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=[192.168.20.22] Dec 19 17:02:04 mail2 sendmail[25228]: [ID 801593 mail.info] kBJ924bA025225: to=<max@gmail.com>, ctladdr=<root@mail2.xyz.com> (0/1), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=31321, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent My Sendmail.cf is # # Copyright (c) 1998-2002 Sendmail, Inc. and its suppliers. # All rights reserved. # Copyright (c) 1983, 1995 Eric P. Allman. All rights reserved. # Copyright (c) 1988, 1993 # The Regents of the University of California. All rights re...

help, very big problem with sendmail-8.12.10 and cyrus-2.1.16 LMTP
Hello, I write here because I Am really clueless. there is a probem I have since a very long time which I Am not able to solve. THis problem has been reported a few months ago and I had a good answer from Andrzej Adam Filip but this did not solve my problem unlikely. I have now sendmail-8.12.10 and cyrus-2.1.16 I have all the time a Connection refused to localhost like if the /var/imap/socket/lmtp cannot be opened by sendmail but the file permissions are correct that is root:cyrus. mailer=cyrusv2, relay=localhost, dsn=4.4.1, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by localhost sometimes I have another error: mailer=cyrusv2, pri=35544, relay=localhost, dsn=4.3.5, stat=Deferred: No such file or directory but this has not a specific reason, it depends from time to time. I Can reboot the system and it works or it just give me the above errors. Once the system starts up with no error cyrus and senmail will work flawlessy, once I Reboot and the error above does occour sendmail+cyrus won't ever work. THe same things of course happens staring cyrus and sendmail by hand and killing them and restart them again, sometimes works sometimes not. This is a problem because my mailserver has to serve for 500 users. All the settings are corrects at my eyes here are the directory permissions for cyrus: /var/imap drwxr-xr-x 3 cyrus cyrus 512 Jan 13 11:33 certs drwxr-xr-x 2 cyrus cyrus 512 Jan 16 11:09 db drwx------ 2 cyrus cyrus 512 Jan 16 11:09 db.backup1 ...

problem sendmail sendmail-8.13.8 , aliases and LDAP request for owner
Hi, I'm trying to understand the behaviour of sendmail and ldap. In my sendmail.cf i've the following configuration O AliasFile=ldap: -v"rfc822MailMember" -k"(mailLocalAddress= %0@mycompanie.fr)" -d"cn=binduser,ou=sec,dc=mycompanie,dc=fr" -P"/etc/ mail/ldapconnect" -MLDAP_AUTH_SIMPLE when i'm sending a mail it work's but its generating 2 request on my ldap server filter="(mailLocalAddress=thomas.dolley@mycompanie.fr)" and filter="(mailLocalAddress=owner-thomas.dolley@mycompanie.fr)" you can see the log of myldap server -ACCEPT from IP=x.x.x.x :33021 (IP=0.0.0.0:389) Feb 9 15:22:43 mailserver slapd[11202]: conn=13 op=0 BIND dn="cn=binduser,ou=sec,dc=mycompanie,dc=fr" method=128 Feb 9 15:22:43 mailserver slapd[11202]: conn=13 op=0 BIND dn="cn=binduser,ou=sec,dc=mycompanie,dc=fr" mech=SIMPLE ssf=0 Feb 9 15:22:43 mailserver slapd[11202]: conn=13 op=0 RESULT tag=97 err=0 text= Feb 9 15:22:43 mailserver slapd[11203]: conn=13 op=1 SRCH base="dc=cirad,dc=fr" scope=2 filter="(mailLocalAddress=thomas.dolley@mycompanie.fr)" Feb 9 15:22:43 mailserver slapd[11203]: conn=13 op=1 SRCH attr=objectClass rfc822MailMember Feb 9 15:22:43 mailserver slapd[11203]: conn=13 op=1 SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=0 nentries=1 text= Feb 9 15:22:43 mailserver slapd[11202]: conn=13 op=2 SRCH base="dc=cirad,dc=fr" scope=2 filter="(mailLocalAddress=owner- thomas.dolley@my...

Solaris 8/sendmail 8.12.10 + virtusertable
I used groups.google.com to pull up the same topic http://tinyurl.com/yuhgg from September 27, 2001 And tried what was suggested there, but to no avail. I'm not getting virtusertable to "work". Here's my sendmail.mc divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-solaris.mc,v 8.13 2001/06/27 21:46:30 gshapiro Exp $') OSTYPE(solaris2)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dnl FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl FEATURE(`virtusertable',`dbm /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl MAILER(local)dnl MAILER(smtp)dnl INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang', `S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F =T, T=S:90s;R:90s;E:5m') # makemap -v dbm /etc/mail/virtusertable < virtusertable key=`paul@spamcatcher.cc.ukans.edu', val=`paul@obscured.cc.ku.edu' key=`@spamcatcher.cc.ukans.edu', val=`doesit@obscured.cc.ku.edu' # /usr/lib/sendmail -bt ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked) Enter <ruleset> <address> > /map virtuser junk@spamcatcher.cc.ukans.edu map_lookup: virtuser (junk@spamcatcher.cc.ukans.edu) no match (0) > Ideas? Thanks! wrote: > I'm not getting virtusertable to "work". Here's my sendmail.mc > FEATURE(`virtusertable',`dbm /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl > # makemap -v dbm /etc/mail/virtusertable < virtusertable > key=`paul@spamcatcher.cc.ukans.edu&#...

Problem with masquerading a senders' address using the /etc/mail/genericstable in sendmail 8.13.1
Hello, I have been struggling with trying to masquerade a senders' e-mail address using sendmail 8.13.1 on RedHat ES 4 (update 5). I am using the genericstable and my table looks like this: a02228 mmchugh@arrow.com a02228@localhost mmchugh@arrow.com a02228@usmlrh81.arrow.com mmchugh@arrow.com I also rebuilt the genericstable.db file via makemap hash /etc/mail/ genericstable < /etc/mail/genericstable and it worked no issue. I am trying to have any outbound mail coming from the unix user a02228 get re-written as being sent by mmchugh@arrow.com. l modified the sendmail.mc file with the following entries: MASQUERADE_AS(`arrow.com')dnl FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl FEATURE(`genericstable', `hash /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl I then make make -C /etc/mail which re-built the sendmail.cf file. This worked and I also tried the m4 rebuild which did the same thing, but I had to manually move the newly built sendmail.cf file in. I guess redhat provides the wrapper to move the file in via make. I also restarted the sendmail services so the new configuration file is read in via services sendmail restart. This too worked without error. Sendmail.cf is updated with the following information: # Generics table (mapping outgoing addresses) Kgenerics hash /etc/mail/genericstable After I do all of this, it still doesn't work. I send an e-mail on the unix / linux...

mails sent by sendmail were treated as junk mail
Hi there, I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure it to work as my main mailserver which allow POP3 and SMTP connection from outside. My problem is that I cannot send out any mails which appears like sender: xxx@mydomain.com. If I send mail through terminal, my sent-out mail would looks like aaa@hostname.mydomain.com instead of aaa@mydomain.com. hostnam.mydomain.com is a qualified name of my linux box runing sendmail. Second, I configured a openwebmail on this linux box to allow users login from anywhere to manager their mails, and it works fine. However, all the out-going mails sent throug openwebmail are treated as junk mail by most mail server like hotmail and yahoo. It was complained as unknown sender(at this case, sender appears aaa@mydomain.com) Does anyone have any experience in such situation or have any ideas how to configure sendmail to solve my problems? My network setting is simply as router -> DMZ zone -> linux box which is runing sendmail. I have a domain, mydomain.com, which is parking at a domain hosting company where my zone file is actually located. I changed the MX record in the zone file so that it points to my static ip address(eg. 10.11.12.113). After some simple changes were done, I can receive any emails sent to my domain, like xxx@mydomain.com. Thanks for any ideas! In article <d57b272d.0405151235.19d0384b@posting.google.com> vbcache@hotmail.com (cerberus) writes: > >I am a newbie of sendmail and trying to configure ...

root mail on sendmail 12
I am having trouble getting root mail to work in sendmail 12. The case is a host called node13 inside a load balancer. It only needs to send local mail from root for things like logwatch and other reports. I have this in submit.cf Cwlocalhost DS DnMAILER-DAEMON D{MTAHost}[localhost] DZ8.12.5/Submit O DontProbeInterfaces=True I have this in sendmail.cf Cwlocalhost DSmy.smarthost.us DnMAILER-DAEMON CPREDIRECT DZ8.12.5 O DontProbeInterfaces=True I get relaying denied when I try to send mail from root since it comes from root@node13 address. Do I have to rebuild submit.mc with masquerade for ...

Web resources about - web scripts and local mail problem with sendmail 8.12.10 ... REWARD OFFERED! - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...