connecting desktop DVD-RW to laptop

Hi,
I have a latest desktop DVD+-RW (IDE) and
I was curious if it is possible to temproray connect it
to my laptop through some cable/adapter through the
unused CD slot. I know that the standard for CD/HDD
is the same for Laptops and Desktops but the
connectors are different ...
Thanks,
George

0
George
9/2/2004 1:04:19 PM
comp.misc 2506 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

What's the difference between DVD+Ram, DVD-R/DVD-RW and DVD+R/DVD+RW
Hello! Can anyone explain to me what it's the difference between this three DVD formats: 1) DVD+Ram 2) DVD-R/DVD-RW 3) DVD+R/DVD+RW (about items 2 and 3, I would like to know what's the difference between the "-" and the "+" format, not the difference between the "R" and the "RW" type). Thank you very much! Bye! Joe Wilson They are just three different non-compatible DVD recording and playback formats (different formats for laying the pit tracks down on the disc). The latest DVD recorders combine several of these formats i...

My DVD Drive wont read DVD-RW or DVD+RW
Hi Chaps... Sorry if this is a bit of a long winded post... I have an Acer Aspire 1670 Lap Top fitted with a Pioneer DVD drive model DVR-K14RA. This drive is compatible with DVD-R/RW and DVD +R/RW. My problem is this.. When I load a DVD-RW that has a file on it into the computer and go to My Computer in Windows XP it shows that there is a DVD in the PC but doesnt show how much free space is on it. I use an NIT DVD maker programme to burn onto the DVD-RW. Even odder is that if I keep the disc in the PC it will show that it has a file on it when I view the drive in my computer. If...

DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's
Hi, I have 2 laptops, one relatively old (Celeron 800 based) and another relatively new (P4 2.6 based). Both seem to have problems accessing DVD+RW disks. They'll work fine for a bit then die horribly. Under Windows, I get serious video stutter playing dvd movies from DVD+RW's, under Linux xine will pop up an error saying it can no longer read a disk. Large file copies die horribly too. The same disks work fine on my PC's DVD writer. The problem occurs on disks written with both my writer, and a friend's writer. I am at a complete loss now and this is incredibly i...

Swap DVD-RW for DVD+-RW?
I have a Sony PCG-FRV37 which has a Matshita UJ-810 (I think). This is only a DVD-. Can is be swapped for a DVD+-RW of a solid brand? Where are they available? How easily are they switched? Thanks, Andy ...

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVR-RW, DVD+RW What to use on Panther Superdrive?
I'm on a G5. I've read charges and counter charges as to what you can and cannot use. Any place I can go to get a definite answer? Thanks -- angel In article <300420042216134330%angel@ccc.com>, angel <angel@ccc.com> wrote: > I'm on a G5. I've read charges and counter charges as to what you can > and cannot use. Any place I can go to get a definite answer? Thanks Not to be a smart-ass, but http://www.apple.com/ has definitive technical information. Also, page 74 of the Setup Guide that came with your machine has the info. The normal Super...

Connecting laptop to desktop
This is hopefully a very basic question. I recently purchased a laptop and would like to hook it to my desktop to share/transfer large files. I connect the laptop to my office LAN and use the desktop for internet access from home via modem. The laptop is WinXP Pro and the desktop is Win2000 Pro. I'd like to hook them together with USB if possible. Any advice? Ron "a" <a@email.com> wrote in message news:7a9pd.968971$Gx4.931779@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > This is hopefully a very basic question. > > I recently purchased a laptop and would like ...

Laptop DVD+/-RW
Hi group One of my laptops's DVD+/-RW player does not read any CDor DVDs anymore ( going blind<grin>). Does it mean that its ripe for replacement or there are still tweaks to make it run... A disk can still be inserted and ejected normally. The device manager still recognizes that its working properly.... Any comments? TIA Roy The drive is probably bad, but I'd try cleaning the lens first. Put a drop of windex on a Q-tip and VERY gently clean the laser lens. Note, the lens is mounted in a voice coil and can be moved for focus and aim by the drive. you have to be VERY gentl...

Connecting laptop to desktop
This is hopefully a very basic question. I recently purchased a laptop and would like to hook it to my desktop to share/transfer large files. I connect the laptop to my office LAN and use the desktop for internet access from home via modem. The laptop is WinXP Pro and the desktop is Win2000 Pro. I'd like to hook them together with USB if possible. Any advice? Ron "a" <a@email.com> wrote in message news:7a9pd.968971$Gx4.931779@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > This is hopefully a very basic question. > > I recently purchased a laptop and would like ...

Connecting my Desktop to laptop
I currently have a wireless router at home which I use/connect to my desktop as well as wirelessly to my laptop. Is there a way to connect the desktop and laptop so that I can transfer files between them wirelessly? Thanks... On 24 Jun 2005 23:05:02 -0700, "need4greed" <Raymond13@gmail.com> wrote: >I currently have a wireless router at home which I use/connect to my >desktop as well as wirelessly to my laptop. Is there a way to connect >the desktop and laptop so that I can transfer files between them >wirelessly? They are both on the LAN, the...

using an old (2000) laptop's dvd drive to read DVD+R or +RW data
My old windows laptop appears not to be able to read a DVD disk with data on it. But it can play a movie. Is this normal? (I suppose back in 2000 there were no DVD burners, so they didn't think/know to have them read data written from a home PC, or what?) What should I look at, if anything, to get the drive to read a data DVD disk? "Tdub" <gripshift5@email.com> writes: > My old windows laptop appears not to be able to read a DVD disk with > data on it. But it can play a movie. Is this normal? If you mean it can only read factory-pressed discs and not recordable dis...

Are CD/DVD laptops connections all of the same?
Are all CD/DVD drives in laptops all the same? I am asking because I pulled out one of my spare MX6124 DVD burners and I was thinking of making an external USB DVD drive out of it. And I was hoping if I bought one of those external USB cases that it would work. Although the connections look a little strange to me. I never even noticed the laptop CD/DVD connections before. They don't look like hard drive IDE connections like I thought they were. I did buy and get yesterday from Hong Kong of all places, an external USB DVD burner. Looks very nice, but can't read anything after 5 ...

Direct Connecting Laptop with Desktop?
I have a laptop running 98SE and a desktop with XP. The laptop has no CD drive, and I've been told I can Direct Connect with a crossover parallel cable, and then share the desktop's CD drive. I seem to have the desktop set-up, but I can't set up the laptop because the Direct Connection Wizard is not installed, and I need a CD drive for my 98SE CD to install it. Can I set this connection up manually? Is what I've been told correct, that I can map my desktop's CD drive to my laptop? Thanks, Dwight "Dwight" <mile1160@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fc...

Connecting Laptop with Desktop pcAnywhere?
Hi: I'm trying to remotely control my desktop with my laptop. I have pcanywhere 11 and WinXP on the laptop and Win98 and pcanywhere 10.5 on the desktop. PCanywhere 11 doesn't do parallel connections so I'm trying a serial connection and cannot get it to work. When I double click to start the laptop's remote session the connection window appears briefly and then disappears as if I've done nothing and when I repeat the process I get a message the port is in use. I can, however, use the desktop as the remote and control the laptop so I think the cable I'm using is...

Connecting an HP DVD-RW ?`
I'm pretty much in over my head on this - any suggestions at all are very welcome! I'm probably missing something obvious (again), but I won't learn if I don't ask. Linux: Redhat 9.0, kernel 2.4.20-19.9 device: HP DVD-RW, connected via usb, seen as dev/scd1 Problem: How do I explain to linux that this is a RW drive? It's using the CD-ROM driver by default... Thanks! Mike- If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough. ---------------------------------------------------- Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide ...

Web resources about - connecting desktop DVD-RW to laptop - comp.misc

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Israeli Hotel U Coral Beach Club Eilat Has a Unique Way of Connecting Guests to Facebook
U Coral Beach Club Eilat, a hotel in Israel , is taking sharing vacation photos and checking in to the next level thanks to a collaboration between ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

Connecting an Arduino to a DSC 1550 Alarm Panel - YouTube
Have an old DSC-1550 (PC 1550) Alarm Panel? This video shows how to connect an Arduino to the panel, simulate a keypad, and monitor the state ...