Windows is named Windows : But Why?

http://thehmccompany.com/2015/06/19/windows-is-named-windows-but-why/

Quoting from the URL above:

   The following was taken from a Microsoft corporate blog designed to
   document the history of Microsoft.

   When I joined Microsoft as Vice President of Corporate Communications, I
   came from the cosmetics / skin care industry where perception (branding)
   was far more important than reality. The branding strategy for Microsoft
   Corporation & the specific names for the products (which was part of the
   company branding strategy) came from the original branding strategy
   developed & executed at Neutrogena Corporation. Along with identifying &
   nurturing the support of industry opinion leaders, pithy, generic-like,
   names were selected in order to force the usage of the company name in
   editorial etc.

   For example, prior to being well known as a word processing program, the
   name "Word" could not stand alone in editorial ... ..the editors felt
   compelled to put the company name in front of the name "Word" in order
   to identify the company origin (unlike a word processor called WordStar
   which never required the company identity). With regard to WINDOWS, we
   were actually fortunate to be late with our GUI introduction. Other GUIs
   had been launched so we were able to review how the opinion leading
   editors were describing them. The common description of GUIs @ that
   point of time was that they were "windowing systems" for your desktop.
   Therefore, if all these GUIs already launched ahead of the Microsoft GUI
   were being described as "windowing systems", the most logical & most
   generic-like name we could call our GUI was "Windows".

Rich
11/7/2015 4:39:23 PM
comp.misc 2506 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 2015-11-07, Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
> http://thehmccompany.com/2015/06/19/windows-is-named-windows-but-why/
>
> Quoting from the URL above:

[...]

What made anyone think that putting windows in a desktop was a helpful
idea?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
--  Whiskers
On 2015-11-07, Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
> http://thehmccompany.com/2015/06/19/windows-is-named-windows-but-why/
>
> Quoting from the URL above:
>
>    The following was taken from a Microsoft corporate blog designed to
>    document the history of Microsoft.
>
>    When I joined Microsoft as Vice President of Corporate Communications, I
>    came from the cosmetics / skin care industry where perception (branding)
>    was far more important than reality. The branding strategy for Microsoft
>    Corporation & the specific names for the products (which was part of the
>    company branding strategy) came from the original branding strategy
>    developed & executed at Neutrogena Corporation. Along with identifying &
>    nurturing the support of industry opinion leaders, pithy, generic-like,
>    names were selected in order to force the usage of the company name in
>    editorial etc.
>
>    For example, prior to being well known as a word processing program, the
>    name "Word" could not stand alone in editorial ... ..the editors felt
>    compelled to put the company name in front of the name "Word" in order
>    to identify the company origin (unlike a word processor called WordStar
>    which never required the company identity). With regard to WINDOWS, we
>    were actually fortunate to be late with our GUI introduction. Other GUIs
>    had been launched so we were able to review how the opinion leading
>    editors were describing them. The common description of GUIs @ that
>    point of time was that they were "windowing systems" for your desktop.
>    Therefore, if all these GUIs already launched ahead of the Microsoft GUI
>    were being described as "windowing systems", the most logical & most
>    generic-like name we could call our GUI was "Windows".

Hah!  I've always maintained that, whatever I thought of their products,
Microsoft had excellent marketing.

Thanks for the link.

The link at the end of the article is worth reading too:

<http://grandsolmarreviews.co/rowland/book-excerpts/barbarians-led-by-bill-gates/>

--
Should not the Society of Indexers be know as Indexers, Society of, The?
                                                     -- Keith Waterhouse
On 2015-11-12, Paul Sture <nospam@sture.ch> wrote:

[32 lines snipped]

> Hah!  I've always maintained that, whatever I thought of their products,
> Microsoft had excellent marketing.

Microsoft *is* marketing.

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 24th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3181
                  I don't have an attitude problem.
On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:08:22 +0100, Paul Sture wrote:

> On 2015-11-07, Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
>> http://thehmccompany.com/2015/06/19/windows-is-named-windows-but-why/
>>
>> Quoting from the URL above:
>>
>>    The following was taken from a Microsoft corporate blog designed to
>>    document the history of Microsoft.
>>
>>    When I joined Microsoft as Vice President of Corporate
>>    Communications, I came from the cosmetics / skin care industry where
>>    perception (branding)
>>    was far more important than reality. The branding strategy for
>>    Microsoft Corporation & the specific names for the products (which
>>    was part of the company branding strategy) came from the original
>>    branding strategy developed & executed at Neutrogena Corporation.
>>    Along with identifying &
>>    nurturing the support of industry opinion leaders, pithy,
>>    generic-like, names were selected in order to force the usage of the
>>    company name in editorial etc.
>>
>>    For example, prior to being well known as a word processing program,
>>    the name "Word" could not stand alone in editorial ... ..the editors
>>    felt compelled to put the company name in front of the name "Word"
>>    in order to identify the company origin (unlike a word processor
>>    called WordStar which never required the company identity). With
>>    regard to WINDOWS, we were actually fortunate to be late with our
>>    GUI introduction. Other GUIs had been launched so we were able to
>>    review how the opinion leading editors were describing them. The
>>    common description of GUIs @ that point of time was that they were
>>    "windowing systems" for your desktop. Therefore, if all these GUIs
>>    already launched ahead of the Microsoft GUI were being described as
>>    "windowing systems", the most logical & most generic-like name we
>>    could call our GUI was "Windows".

> Hah!  I've always maintained that, whatever I thought of their products,
> Microsoft had excellent marketing.

 Too bloody true! Who else, aside from Apple, could sell winXP, a
festering PoS OS to the great unwashed consumer market and then, to add
insult to injury, repeat the exercise with Vista (an ironically named OS
if ever there was one) whilst it was still in alpha, not polishing it
into a usable turd until SP2 and then giving it a little more polish to
resell it under the win7 name, following that up with yet more insult
with a version of win7 possessed of an even more broken user interface
under the name win8 before toning back some of the breakage with win8.1
before finally forcing an unwanted alpha version of win10 with all its
privacy invading "telemetry" features onto those poor unfortunates using
win7 and win8 versions of windows?

> The link at the end of the article is worth reading too:
>
> <http://grandsolmarreviews.co/rowland/book-excerpts/barbarians-led-by-
bill-gates/>

 A very interesting read indeed. It neatly explains the "Advertising Hype
with no end" windows 95 campaign that was so disparagingly remarked upon
in hindsight in usenet and the press later on. It certainly drives home
the point that the Maddison Avenue lot *should* be the first up against
the wall come the 'Bloody Revolution'. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
0
On 2015-11-12, Huge <Huge@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:
> On 2015-11-12, Paul Sture <nospam@sture.ch> wrote:
>
> [32 lines snipped]
>
>> Hah!  I've always maintained that, whatever I thought of their products,
>> Microsoft had excellent marketing.
>
> Microsoft *is* marketing.

Yep.  Here's a sig I devised some time ago:

Microsoft: A marketing and PR company that occasionally finds time to
           produce some software

(nicked from a 1980's quip about the UK's Automobile Association)

--
Should not the Society of Indexers be know as Indexers, Society of, The?
                                                     -- Keith Waterhouse
0
Paul
11/12/2015 7:36:53 PM
Johnny B Good <johnny-b-good@invalid.ntlworld.com> writes:

> A very interesting read indeed. It neatly explains the "Advertising Hype
> with no end" windows 95 campaign that was so disparagingly remarked upon
> in hindsight in usenet and the press later on.

       Voice:  Where do you want to go today?
       Choir:  Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis
      (The damned and accursed are convicted to the flames of hell.)
                        -- from Mozart's Requiem
                        -- Microsoft TV ad for Internet Exploder (1998)

--
Mike Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada
0
On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 03:47:52 -0400, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Johnny B Good <johnny-b-good@invalid.ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> A very interesting read indeed. It neatly explains the "Advertising
>> Hype with no end" windows 95 campaign that was so disparagingly
>> remarked upon in hindsight in usenet and the press later on.
>
>        Voice:  Where do you want to go today?
>        Choir:  Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis
>        ------------------------------------------------------------
>       (The damned and accursed are convicted to the flames of hell.)
>                         -- from Mozart's Requiem -- Microsoft TV ad for
>                         Internet Exploder (1998)

 Wow! I just *knew* that MSFT's attitude towards their customers well-
being stank to high heaven. Why else gift the 'script kiddies' the "Hide
filename extensions for system and program files"(not verbatim) as the
default folder option setting long after they could no longer claim
ignorance of the consequences as a defence in law come the (as I naively
expected back then with windows XP) class action lawsuit against them for
providing a product (winXP) lacking in the duty of care the aggrieved
consumers might reasonably have expected given that the product was
specifically advertised and sold as being so easy to use that no formal
computer operator training would be required (and, by implication, would
be safe to use without any basic knowledge of how a computer functioned).

 The lack of a crippling lawsuit against MSFT had left me wondering just
how hard they must have leant on the major law firms that could have
benefited from such a lucrative and high profile enterprise. You've got
to credit MSFT for their sheer chutzpah in carrying on with such arrogant
disregard for their customers to this day. That TV advert says it all.

 No wonder MSFT feel invulnerable to any such class action lawsuits in
the future now that Google and social media have set the precedence for
the unrestricted data mining embodied in windows 10's "Telemetry" no
doubt bolstered by being able to claim they were 'lending every
assistance' to the NSA and GCHQ in survailing every US and UK citizen for
"their own safety against the terrorist threat".

--
Johnny B Good
0
On 2015-11-12, Johnny B Good <johnny-b-good@invalid.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:08:22 +0100, Paul Sture wrote:

<snip>

>> The link at the end of the article is worth reading too:
>>
>> <http://grandsolmarreviews.co/rowland/book-excerpts/barbarians-led-by-
> bill-gates/>
>
>  A very interesting read indeed. It neatly explains the "Advertising Hype
> with no end" windows 95 campaign that was so disparagingly remarked upon
> in hindsight in usenet and the press later on. It certainly drives home
> the point that the Maddison Avenue lot *should* be the first up against
> the wall come the 'Bloody Revolution'. :-)

Add the scummy ISPs and telcos who seem to think they have the right to
wreck your credit rating when you refuse to pay an erroneous bill and
I'm in.  Best put the thugs they employ as debt collectors up against
the wall too.

--
Should not the Society of Indexers be know as Indexers, Society of, The?
                                                     -- Keith Waterhouse
0
Paul

window class name and window name
Hi, Is there any free utility available on net which can show the the window name and window class name if the mouse cursor is put on a perticular window. Thanks, Vijay. ...

window class name and window name #2
Hi, Is there any free utility available on net which can show the the window name and window class name if the mouse cursor is put on a perticular window. Thanks, Cric. ...

Is it possible to use the Windows 2003 user names instead of pre-Windows 2000 user names in Windows Authentication?
Hello, I am trying to get username information by using User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username. Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname@SERVERNAME.com" it again returns SERVERNAME/username although i want it to return "name.surname". I changed the IIS server settings, checked digest authentication and tried the other things, too. But makes no difference. It is said to originated from Kerberos Authentication... If anyone can help me I will be appreciated. Thanks for now, MK IIS must be ...

Windows class names from window handles
As part of a hooking application -- I am watching the system for certain windows to open. I know the class name of the window I am waiting for and need to trigger each time one of these come up. My hook watches for WH_CBT's HCBT_CREATEWND and HCBT_DESTROYWND. All of these events are posted to my own app for processing. So back, in my other app - I get all these events, and I need to figure out how to get the class name. Mode code does this -- it fails often at GetClassInfo. wParam conains the HWND, lParam contains the instance handle. afx_msg LRESULT CSkypeButtonClient...

Root Window & Windows within Windows
Even (on 98) if you replace the shell explorer.exe you are left with the root window. Explorer.exe does a good job of adding content to the root window. It places icons on your desktop and gives you a task bar. The only ability I am aware of that programmers have to add content to the root window (aside from replacing explorer.exe), is with Active Desktop. I feel that active desktop should be a program we can write ourselves. We should be able to write our own programs that are drawn directly to the root window, just like active desktop windows are. Even when you replace ...

Problem with window.opener AND window.name IN firefox

windowed sinc
Hi, I came across this the other day, for i=0:1:2*hLen sinc(i-hLen) * pow(cos(PI*(i-hLen)/(2*hLen)),beta); I know it is a windowed sinc, but what is the window function being used? the pow() part. Thanks syl On Nov 7, 9:36 am, SYL <sya...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I came across this the other day, > > for i=0:1:2*hLen > sinc(i-hLen) * pow(cos(PI*(i-hLen)/(2*hLen)),beta); > > I know it is a windowed sinc, but what is the window function being > used? the pow() part. > > Thanks > syl This window sometimes appears in the literature as the 'co...

Docking windows... in Windows
I'm using the Windows version in Windows 7. There's an option in each window to "Lock tab to dock", but I don't see anything occurring. They just sit there and float like they were before. What behavior should be occurring, and what if anything am I doing wrong? Also, has anyone used a recent version of Visual Studio? I like how you can drag a window to one of the edges of the screen or leave it floating. The user interface for dragging the windows is also real easy to use and makes everything real obvious and clear to the user. ...

window-handlers on windows
hi (this is my first post to this ng; so if it is the wrong ng, please direct me to the one i need...) my problem not necessarily bound to C++ (but could also be C), but since my application is in C++, i post it here. i want to draw from application A into a window that has been created by an application B (in my case: i want to render an openGL-scene into a a browser-window) under linux i can get a handle of type "Window" from the Xserver, into which i can draw (assumed that i have permissions) under windows the only such handle i have found is HWND, which is a pointer to a ...

displaying windows through a window
main.cpp #ifndef main_cpp #define main_cpp #include "wx/wx.h" #include <wx/splash.h> #include "MyFrame.h" class MyApp : public wxApp { public: virtual bool OnInit(); }; IMPLEMENT_APP(MyApp) bool MyApp::OnInit() { wxBitmap bitmap; MyFrame *frame = new MyFrame(_T("Project Mayhem"), wxPoint(150, 150), wxSize(590, 430)); bitmap.LoadFile("C:/Documents and Settings/JAMIE BERNIER/Desktop/images/Intro Image.bmp", wxBITMAP_TYPE_BMP); wxSplashScreen* splash = new wxSplashScreen(bitmap, wxSPLA...

window on window question
hi... I have a datawindow and a modless dialog datawindow ownes the modless dialog there can be multiple instances of datawwindow how do i keep each instance of modless dialog on top of the owning datawindow EXAMPLE: window1 owns diag1 diag 1 on top of window1 user opens another instance of window1 i want each diags to stay on top of its owner like a floating tool bar setwindowpos() workes gr8 but im having problems with the Options..can't seem to get the correct one dave dvs_bis@sbcglobal.net So how about posting the code! It's a bit hard to help o...

Windows, Windows everywhere
where do I see Windows? In my car (GPS) In my house (3 laptops) In my banks (all 3 of them where I bank) In the grocery stores (Point of Sale systems) In the airport (reservations and ticketing) In the doctor's office (appointments and bookkeeping) In my dentist's office (appointments and bookkeeping) At the car dealership (repair shop reservations and billing) At the Vail lift ticket sales window (Point of Sale systems) In my customer's offices (enterprise apps) In the university (faculty, students and administration) in other words, everywhere. Where do I see Macs? A few lone...

windows safari and windows
Testing locally on an Win XP box with the safari pop up blocker disabled: window.close(); will close the window without warning even though the window was not opened by javascript. win = window.open("test.htm","foo");//, str); alert(win); does not open a new window and the value displayed by the alert is "undefined" (shouldn't it be "null" if there was a problem???). Also safari's activity window doesn't show any problems encountered. If I put a link on the page <a href="test.htm" target="_blank">click here<...

Print Window in Windows
How do I print a window in windows like print window in mac os 9. "Lee Blevins" <leeb@digitalgraphics.net> wrote in message news:1g1qy62.1vyo6z2nh5o5cN@[192.168.10.100]... > How do I print a window in windows like print window in mac os 9. PrintScreen is the PrtSc button on my IBM ThinkPad T23. PrintScreen will take a snapshot, and place it in the system's clipboard. Pressing PrintScreen will take a snapshot of the entire screen. Pressing Alt-PrintScreen will take a snapshot of the active window only. Paste the contents of the clipboard into a graphics application t...

Web resources about - Windows is named Windows : But Why? - comp.misc

The Windows Blog

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11102 arrives on the Fast ring
Microsoft promised late last year that it would be speeding up the rate that new Windows 10 preview builds arrived on the Fast ring in 2016, ...

How to stop Windows 10 from constantly bothering you about what’s bothering you
... this month, Microsoft unwittingly angered a significant portion of its user base by publishing frightening specific statistics about Windows ...

A developer is so frustrated by the Windows 10 app store, he's telling people to stop writing Windows ...
For months, developers have been complaining about a big problem with Microsoft's Windows 10 app store: their apps never show up in the search ...

Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel's x86 chips
After years, the wait for Intel-based Windows smartphones could be coming to an end. The Windows 10 Mobile OS popularly known as Windows Phone ...

Scientists figure out how to create affordable smart windows
Imagine having the power to tweak your windows' opacity depending on the weather. That's one application a group of MIT scientists believe they've ...

The Windows 10 store has a serious app discovery issue, and its developers aren’t pleased
Windows 10 has a significant problem with app searching and discovery, and it's driven one longtime developer to call for boycotting the Windows ...

Resistance Is Futile: You Will Be Assimilated Into Windows 10
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated into Windows 10. Resistance is futile. It seems that Microsoft has decided to fashion its Windows 10 ...