Android microSD card won't mount on Linux OS (Unable to access). Why?

Android microSD card won't mount on Linux OS (Unable to access). Why?

What is this error telling me?
a. Dolphin: http://i.imgur.com/DABMmKP.jpg
b. Nautilus http://i.imgur.com/6XgdcI1.jpg
Unable to access "134 GB Volume"
Error mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 at /media/guest/21E3-00CC: Command-line
`mount -t "exfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,
iocharset=utf8,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro,umask=0077" "/dev/mmcblk0p1"
"/media/guest/21E3-00CC"'
exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'
1. I have two micro-sd cards for my Android cellphone (32GB & 128GB).
2. Both work in the phone (and both have important data I wish to archive).
3. I archive by copying to my Linux HDD & then I burn to DVD (it's what I do).
4. I do not wish to use the cloud!
5. I just want to mount both flash cards (they fit into an adapter).
6. The 32GB microSD card (in the SD-card adapter) mounts just fine.
6. The 128GB microSD card (in the same SD-card adapter) will not mount.
What can I do to debug on Linux (and save my Android data)?
Vincent
10/28/2015 10:30:51 PM
comp.mobile.android 1779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen wrote:
> Android microSD card won't mount on Linux OS (Unable to access). Why?

> unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

> What can I do to debug on Linux (and save my Android data)?

enable exfat

sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

http://askubuntu.com/questions/364270/mount-unknown-filesystem-exfat
Mount unknown filesystem exfat

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2238314  [SOLVED] Ubuntu 14.04
exfat problem

--
Mike Easter
0
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 18:30:51 -0400, Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> wrote:

> 6. The 32GB microSD card (in the SD-card adapter) mounts just fine.
> 6. The 128GB microSD card (in the same SD-card adapter) will not mount.

On my Mageia 5 x86_64 system, there are two packages needed to work
with exfat file systems. exfat-utils and fuse-exfat

Another possible cause for problems ...
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Storage_capacity_and_incompatibilities
SDHC vs SDXC cards (and card adapters).

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dhodgin1661@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.
In alt.os.linux Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> wrote:
> Unable to access "134 GB Volume"
> Error mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 at /media/guest/21E3-00CC: Command-line
> `mount -t "exfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,
             ^^^^^
The exfat is a MicroSoft variation on the "normal" fat32 of Windows-95
SR2 etc:
(from wikipedia):
> exFAT is a file system introduced with Windows Embedded CE 6.0 in
> November 2006 and brought to the Windows NT family with Vista
> Service Pack 1. It is loosely based on the File Allocation Table
> architecture, but incompatible, proprietary and protected by
> patents.[62]

> exFAT is intended for use on flash drives (such as SDXC and Memory
> Stick XC), where FAT32 is otherwise used. Microsoft's GUI and
> command-line format utilities offer it as an alternative to NTFS (and,
> for smaller partitions, to FAT16B and FAT32). The MBR partition type
> is 0x07 (the same as used for IFS, HPFS, NTFS, etc.). Logical geometry
> information located in the VBR is stored in a format not resembling
> any kind of BPB.

So to read that card from Linux you need to get support for this fs,
how, depends on your distribution. And MicroSoft does claim patents
on their VFAT extensions, so it may not even be available for you.
They did get TomTom to drop the usage of VFAT:
> In February 2009, Microsoft filed a patent infringement lawsuit
> against TomTom alleging that the device maker's products infringe on
> patents related to VFAT long filenames. As some TomTom products are
> based on Linux, this marked the first time that Microsoft tried to
> enforce its patents against the Linux platform. The lawsuit was
> settled out of court the following month with an agreement that
> Microsoft be given access to four of TomTom's patents, that TomTom
> will drop support for the VFAT long filenames from its products, and
> that in return Microsoft not seek legal action against TomTom for
> the five year duration of the settlement agreement.

0
Eef
10/28/2015 11:03:43 PM
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in d9d1flF1jnU1@mid.individual.net:

> sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

Thanks for the pointer, which was spot on ... almost.
http://i.imgur.com/jgOHf7A.jpg

The good news is that command worked just fine.
Now the micro SD card mounts automatically.

The bad news is that I seem to have destroyed all my data, by mistake
when I was trying to mount it and dd it and copy it and stuff.

I don't even remember what I did.
Do you think there is a way to save the data?

0
Vincent
10/29/2015 2:37:47 AM
Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> Wrote in message:
> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in d9d1flF1jnU1@mid.individual.net:
>
>> sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
>
> Thanks for the pointer, which was spot on ... almost.
> http://i.imgur.com/jgOHf7A.jpg
>
> The good news is that command worked just fine.
> Now the micro SD card mounts automatically.
>
> The bad news is that I seem to have destroyed all my data, by mistake
> when I was trying to mount it and dd it and copy it and stuff.
>
> I don't even remember what I did.
> Do you think there is a way to save the data?

Photorec should work, but it'll be slow and give all files it
 finds random names. It's designed to recover photos, but I think
 it works with file types as well.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
0
Chris
10/29/2015 8:29:36 AM
On 10/29/2015 01:29 AM, Chris wrote:
> Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> Wrote in message:
>> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in d9d1flF1jnU1@mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer, which was spot on ... almost.
>> http://i.imgur.com/jgOHf7A.jpg
>>
>> The good news is that command worked just fine.
>> Now the micro SD card mounts automatically.
>>
>> The bad news is that I seem to have destroyed all my data, by mistake
>> when I was trying to mount it and dd it and copy it and stuff.
>>
>> I don't even remember what I did.
>> Do you think there is a way to save the data?
>
> Photorec should work, but it'll be slow and give all files it
>   finds random names. It's designed to recover photos, but I think
>   it works with file types as well.

If the exif data is also recovered, a free downloadable utility called
jhead (windows, linux, maybe mac) will rename the files.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Is there any way I can help without actually getting involved?"
In alt.os.linux chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know because ext2/3/4 are default linux filesystems and all others the
> aren't.

Not quite true: ReiserFS, which _was_ mentioned under b) is a Linux fs
(at least: the 3.5 and 3.6 versions are, ReiserFS 4 never made it).
0
Eef
10/30/2015 1:01:01 AM
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote in n0u639$tjo$1@dont-email.me:

>> Photorec should work, but it'll be slow and give all files it
>>   finds random names. It's designed to recover photos, but I think
>>   it works with file types as well.
>
> If the exif data is also recovered, a free downloadable utility called
> jhead (windows, linux, maybe mac) will rename the files.

Both Photorec and Jhead seem like great ideas.
Jhead seems to work on Linux but Photorec seems to be a windows thing.

BTW, does anyone have experience who can tell me *why* there
is just a LOST.DIR and .android_secure directory?

What are those directories anyway?

0
Vincent
10/30/2015 1:44:26 AM
The Real Bev wrote:

> If the exif data is also recovered, a free downloadable utility called
> jhead (windows, linux, maybe mac) will rename the files.

Here's an alias that I use to rename files:
alias picname='for f in *.{png,PNG,jpg,JPG,jpeg,JPEG,gif,GIF}; do echo "picname $f";exiv2 -r '%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-:basename:' rename $f; done'

0
tjoen
10/30/2015 1:48:18 AM
Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen writes:
> ...Photorec seems to be a windows thing.

In Debian PhotoRec is in the testdisk package.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com

> In Debian PhotoRec is in the testdisk package.

Thanks. I did not know that.

I don't have it on my system:
$ testdisk
The program 'testdisk' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install testdisk

But it was easy to add:
$ sudo apt-get install testdisk
$ which photorec
  /usr/bin/photorec

$ photorec --help
PhotoRec 6.14, Data Recovery Utility, July 2013
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org

Usage: photorec [/log] [/debug] [/d recup_dir] [file.dd|file.e01|device]
       photorec /version

/log          : create a photorec.log file
/debug        : add debug information

PhotoRec searches various file formats (JPEG, Office...), it stores them
in recup_dir directory.

If you have problems with PhotoRec or bug reports, please contact me.

Now I just have to figure out the syntax so that the
recovery is on a different partition than the data.
0
Vincent
10/30/2015 2:07:59 AM
Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in n0sl9e$qd7$1@dont-email.me:

> Photorec should work, but it'll be slow and give all files it
>  finds random names. It's designed to recover photos, but I think
>  it works with file types as well.

I tried Recuva from Piriform on Windows, but for some reason, Recuva
doesn't understand the 128GB micro-SD card's exfat file system on
WinXP.

http://i.imgur.com/pQweikt.jpg

Warning: Failed to scan the following drives.
E:: invalid drive size

0
Vincent
10/30/2015 4:04:57 AM
Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> wrote in
n0ujdu$tpt$1@solani.org:

> Now I just have to figure out the syntax so that the
> recovery is on a different partition than the data.

On Linux, I installed testdisk and ran photorec and now I have to figure
out what type of file system exfat is, since it's not in the photorec
options.

http://i.imgur.com/4dtYwyu.jpg

My choices are:
a) [ ext2/ext3 ] ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem
b) [ Other     ] FAT/NTFS/HFS+/ReiserFS/...

I don't know which one to choose.
Looking up exfat, I find it's described here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

But it doesn't answer the question.
Which would you choose?

0
Vincent
10/30/2015 4:34:11 AM
On 10/29/2015 06:44 PM, Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote in n0u639$tjo$1@dont-email.me:
>
>>> Photorec should work, but it'll be slow and give all files it
>>>   finds random names. It's designed to recover photos, but I think
>>>   it works with file types as well.
>>
>> If the exif data is also recovered, a free downloadable utility called
>> jhead (windows, linux, maybe mac) will rename the files.
>
> Both Photorec and Jhead seem like great ideas.
> Jhead seems to work on Linux but Photorec seems to be a windows thing.

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/ also has a jhead.exe download and
one for OS-X.

> BTW, does anyone have experience who can tell me *why* there
> is just a LOST.DIR and .android_secure directory?
>
> What are those directories anyway?

Not a clue, but there's a LOST.DIR on my nook reader too.  Perhaps we'll
find out when we accidentally delete a directory we REALLY didn't want
to delete...

--
Cheers, Bev

   "I love this country...
   ...and the freedoms we used to have..."
                      --George Carlin

0
The
10/30/2015 5:45:25 AM
On 30/10/2015 04:34, Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen wrote:
> Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> wrote in
> n0ujdu$tpt$1@solani.org:
>
>> Now I just have to figure out the syntax so that the
>> recovery is on a different partition than the data.
>
> On Linux, I installed testdisk and ran photorec and now I have to figure
> out what type of file system exfat is, since it's not in the photorec
> options.
>
> http://i.imgur.com/4dtYwyu.jpg
>
> My choices are:
> a) [ ext2/ext3 ] ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem
> b) [ Other     ] FAT/NTFS/HFS+/ReiserFS/...
>
> I don't know which one to choose.
> Looking up exfat, I find it's described here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
>
> But it doesn't answer the question.
> Which would you choose?

Well it's certainly not (a), so it must be (b)...

0
chris
10/30/2015 10:31:40 AM
On 30/10/2015 05:45, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> If the exif data is also recovered, a free downloadable utility called
>>> jhead (windows, linux, maybe mac) will rename the files.
>>
>> Both Photorec and Jhead seem like great ideas.
>> Jhead seems to work on Linux but Photorec seems to be a windows thing.
>
> http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/ also has a jhead.exe download and
> one for OS-X.
>
>> BTW, does anyone have experience who can tell me *why* there
>> is just a LOST.DIR and .android_secure directory?
>>
>> What are those directories anyway?
>
> Not a clue, but there's a LOST.DIR on my nook reader too.  Perhaps we'll
> find out when we accidentally delete a directory we REALLY didn't want
> to delete...

LOST.DIR where the filesystem puts files that are 'broken' following a
disk check. Broken files are typcially created during program or system
crashes.

0
chris
10/30/2015 10:33:27 AM
chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in n0vgq8$otn$1@dont-email.me:

> Well it's certainly not (a), so it must be (b)...

I'm not sure how you knew it wasn't (a), since there is "ex" in the
name "exfat" and (a) had "ex" at the same time there was "fat" in (b)
and "exfat" also has "fat".  (http://i.imgur.com/JSZOtJh.jpg)

Since the default chose "b", I went with the default and let it run.
It found lots of "errors". (http://i.imgur.com/CdFy8jH.jpg)

But, unfortunately, photorec found absolutely nothing.
(http://i.imgur.com/NxRC64Z.jpg)
0
Vincent
10/30/2015 1:00:01 PM
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote in n0v01j$442$1@dont-email.me:

> Not a clue, but there's a LOST.DIR on my nook reader too.  Perhaps we'll
> find out when we accidentally delete a directory we REALLY didn't want
> to delete...

I looked up LOST.DIR and it apparently can often contain huge amounts
of data (mine isn't all that large, just a few megabytes).

It's sort of like a trash can for checkdisk type Android errors,
according to what I could figure out from the articles I read.

Nobody seems to know for sure, but most people just delete the
LOST.DIR with impunity when they see it.

So I don't think all my missing data is in there.

0
Vincent
10/30/2015 1:01:56 PM
chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in n0vgtj$otn$2@dont-email.me:

> LOST.DIR where the filesystem puts files that are 'broken' following a
> disk check. Broken files are typcially created during program or system
> crashes.

That's what I found out also. It doesn't seem to be where all my millions
of pictures went.

I also looked up the ".android_secure" directory, which seems to be where
apps are put when you tell Android to move an app to the SD card.

So, the ".android_secure" directory, which is the only other thing I
can see on that 128GB card, is not where my lost files are either.

0
Vincent
10/30/2015 1:04:21 PM
Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> wrote in
n0s0pq$obr$1@solani.org:

>> sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
>
> Thanks for the pointer, which was spot on ... almost.
> http://i.imgur.com/jgOHf7A.jpg
>
> The good news is that command worked just fine.
> Now the micro SD card mounts automatically.

I will try Recuva on Windows XP, which also seems to need the
exfat driver extensions because mine didn't recognize the card.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19364

Vincent
10/30/2015 1:08:03 PM
On 30/10/2015 13:00, Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen wrote:
> chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in n0vgq8$otn$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> Well it's certainly not (a), so it must be (b)...
>
> I'm not sure how you knew it wasn't (a), since there is "ex" in the
> name "exfat" and (a) had "ex" at the same time there was "fat" in (b)
> and "exfat" also has "fat".  (http://i.imgur.com/JSZOtJh.jpg)

I know because ext2/3/4 are default linux filesystems and all others the
aren't. exFAT, vFAT, FAT32 (possibly others) are all variants of the FAT
filesystem which is also mentioned in option (b). However, given the
list, it isn't clear whether photorec supports exFAT.

According to here http://www.cgsecurity.org/ it does, so that shouldn't
be an issue.

> Since the default chose "b", I went with the default and let it run.
> It found lots of "errors". (http://i.imgur.com/CdFy8jH.jpg)
>
> But, unfortunately, photorec found absolutely nothing.
> (http://i.imgur.com/NxRC64Z.jpg)

You might be out of luck :(

0
chris
10/30/2015 1:23:38 PM
On 30/10/2015 13:04, Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen wrote:
> chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in n0vgtj$otn$2@dont-email.me:
>
>> LOST.DIR where the filesystem puts files that are 'broken' following a
>> disk check. Broken files are typcially created during program or system
>> crashes.
>
> That's what I found out also. It doesn't seem to be where all my millions
> of pictures went.

That's because you've probably affected the filesystem as a whole rather
than just the odd file here or there.

0
chris
10/30/2015 1:25:52 PM
In alt.os.linux Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> wrote:
> a) [ ext2/ext3 ] ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem
> b) [ Other     ] FAT/NTFS/HFS+/ReiserFS/...

ext? are Linux "extended minix" filesystems, versions 2, 3 cq 4
(neither minix fs itself nor ext without a number are used in Linux
anymore, although the minix driver is still available in the kernel).

And if you look in the wikipedia entry, you'll find:
> exFAT is a file system introduced with Windows Embedded CE 6.0 in
> November 2006 and brought to the Windows NT family with Vista
> Service Pack 1. It is loosely based on the File Allocation Table
(abbreviation FAT)
> architecture, but incompatible, proprietary and protected by
> patents.

so exFAT means "extended FAT", but _not_ compatible with the Linux
vfat driver (which can handle fat12/16/32 with long filenames).

Hoepefully choice 2 with an exfat driver (manually) loaded will do the
trick, but no guarantees, unerase IS rather low level fs access.
0
Eef
10/30/2015 2:45:12 PM
chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in n0vr0s$d5$2@dont-email.me:

> That's because you've probably affected the filesystem as a whole rather
> than just the odd file here or there.

I think part of the problem is that I think at some point I formatted
the card using the machines that I only now realize never had exfat
file system support.

:(

0
Vincent
10/30/2015 11:09:04 PM
chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in n0vqsm$d5$1@dont-email.me:

> According to here http://www.cgsecurity.org/ it does, so that shouldn't
> be an issue.

I appreciate that you knew enough because you were right that exfat
was basically the "FAT" option, and not the "ex" option.

The program ran. It found errors. But it also found no files.

0
Vincent
10/30/2015 11:10:09 PM
Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman@gmail.com> wrote in
56338278$0$23833$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:

> Hoepefully choice 2 with an exfat driver (manually) loaded will do the
> trick, but no guarantees, unerase IS rather low level fs access.

Choice 2 appears to be the correct choice.

0
Vincent
10/30/2015 11:10:35 PM
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:08:03 +0000 (UTC), Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen wrote:

> I will try Recuva on Windows XP, which also seems to need the
> exfat driver extensions because mine didn't recognize the card.

Maybe the san disk sd card formatter will work?
SD Formatter 4.0 for Windows
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
0
Lenny
10/31/2015 1:14:57 AM
Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen <vchenghcv102@hotmail.com.hk> Wrote in message:
> chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in n0vr0s$d5$2@dont-email.me:
>
>> That's because you've probably affected the filesystem as a whole rather
>> than just the odd file here or there.
>
> I think part of the problem is that I think at some point I formatted
> the card using the machines that I only now realize never had exfat
> file system support.

Exactly. The filesystem is damaged so it can't do anything with
 LOST.DIR

As an aside are these good quality 128Gb cards? There are a lot of
 fake SD cards around which are very unreliable.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
0
Chris
10/31/2015 10:35:13 AM
> > exFAT is a file system ... is loosely based on the File Allocation
> > Table architecture, but incompatible, proprietary and protected by
> > patents.[62]

In that case, perhaps exfat is a poor choice.  Also considering that
it probably has the same chronic fragmentation problems that the other
FAT systems have.

A better approach is probably to format the card as ext4 in your
desktop, and configure your desktop to mount it with the
last-read-date bit turned off.  Of course, that's only a good idea if
Android mounts it that way too.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know?

0
Fritz
10/31/2015 11:41:07 AM
On 31/10/2015 11:41, Fritz Wuehler wrote:
>>> exFAT is a file system ... is loosely based on the File Allocation
>>> Table architecture, but incompatible, proprietary and protected by
>>> patents.[62]
>
> In that case, perhaps exfat is a poor choice.  Also considering that
> it probably has the same chronic fragmentation problems that the other
> FAT systems have.
>
> A better approach is probably to format the card as ext4 in your
> desktop, and configure your desktop to mount it with the
> last-read-date bit turned off.  Of course, that's only a good idea if
> Android mounts it that way too.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know?

Frustratingly, android doesn't support ext2/3/4 ...

0
chris
11/1/2015 1:01:01 AM
In article <5633831f$0$23833$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Eef Hartman wrote:
> In alt.os.linux chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know because ext2/3/4 are default linux filesystems and all others the
>> aren't.
>
> Not quite true: ReiserFS, which _was_ mentioned under b) is a Linux
> fs

It is a Linux FS, but not a *default* Linux FS, so what Chris wrote was in
fact "quite true".

Does anyone still use ReiserFS, anyway?

--
Cheers,
 Daniel.

0
Daniel
11/1/2015 1:28:19 PM
On 11/01/2015 02:56 AM, chris wrote:

>> In that case, perhaps exfat is a poor choice.  Also considering that
>> it probably has the same chronic fragmentation problems that the other
>> FAT systems have.
>>
>> A better approach is probably to format the card as ext4 in your
>> desktop, and configure your desktop to mount it with the
>> last-read-date bit turned off.  Of course, that's only a good idea if
>> Android mounts it that way too.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know?
>
> Frustratingly, android doesn't support ext2/3/4 ...

Probably because most people use windows.

--
Cheers,  Bev
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
On 01/11/2015 18:15, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> In that case, perhaps exfat is a poor choice.  Also considering that
>>> it probably has the same chronic fragmentation problems that the other
>>> FAT systems have.
>>>
>>> A better approach is probably to format the card as ext4 in your
>>> desktop, and configure your desktop to mount it with the
>>> last-read-date bit turned off.  Of course, that's only a good idea if
>>> Android mounts it that way too.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know?
>>
>> Frustratingly, android doesn't support ext2/3/4 ...
>
> Probably because most people use windows.

ext2/3/4 is in the kernel, so the android developers actively /removed/
support.

So what if most people use Windows? Android could quite easily be ext2
internally and also support FAT on SD cards.
0
chris

[News] T-Mobile Embraces Mobile Linux (Android), Video of Android Sub-notebook

HDR mode is nice but Camera won't STAY in HDR mode (Android 4.3, T-Mobile, SIII)
I have the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3 and all I want is to set the camera to *stay* in HDR mode. I can easily set it to go into HDR mode each time: 1. Open the default "Camera" app, 2. Press "Settings->Shooting Mode->HDR". But, when I close the Camera app and open it again, the app defaults to "Shooting Mode = Single Shot". How do I set the default Android 4.3 Camera app to simply *stay* in HDR shooting mode? On Wed, 07 May 2014 12:05:12 -0500, Liam O'Connor wrote: > ... How do I set the default Android 4.3 Came...

I can't seem to figure out why my Android phone won't install anything?
I have a 4GB Android phone with a 32GB sd card but I can't get the preinstalled apps to move to that flash card. I can't delete the apps either. And I can't get new apps to install to the flash card. What am I doing wrong? On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 15:51:55 +0100, Chris Uppal wrote: > It would change if Google > added an optional filter to Play Store: > "Hide apps that won't install to SD". I love that idea! 9.9.2014, 5:16, Binya Kobayashi kirjoitti: > I have a 4GB Android phone with a 32GB sd card but I can't get the > preinst...

MMC Card Won't Mount In Card Reader, But CF Card Does
I've been using a USB card reader on my 8500+G3/300 to download and erase pictures from a CF card with no problems. The CF card mounts like a hard drive in both OS9 and OSX, and can read, write and erase. So, I figured I could use a Windows-only MP3 player by mounting the MMC card on the mac the same way. However, the MMC card (which works in the MP3 player in voice-recorder mode) won't mount when plugged into it's slot. In OS9.1, nothing happens when the card is installed. In OSX 10.2, I can 'see' the card in Disk Utility, which correctly identifies it's type and ...

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

Android Linux piracy so bad they won't even pay $0.99 for an app
"Last week, developer Madfinger Games said that it made its recent zombie FPS, Dead Trigger, a free-to-play game because of the "unbelievably high" piracy on Android. It was originally priced at a mere $0.99, a price point thought low enough to attract business. But the ratio of pirated versions outnumbered the paid copies, so the company decided to offer it for free. Either way, the developer will still make money thanks to in-game purchases. As if striking a nerve, another developer has come forth, saying that there's no money to be made on the Android pla...

Android doesn't protect "software freedom", so [H]ypocrite [H]omer and other cola bozos won't be using it
Right [H]ypocrite/s? "The Apache license allows manufacturers and mobile operators to innovate using the platform without the requirement to contribute those innovations back to the open source community." http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/android_faq.html [H]omer: "Only a morally inverted fuckwit like DFS would see the protection of [software] freedom as a "restriction"." Well well well... looks like [H]ypocrite is stuck using WinPhone7 or an iPhone... just kidding... not in a million years... we all know your hypocrisy will win out like it always d...

250k+ linux android phones infected by 'Security App' from android market
BAWAWWAWWAWAAAAAA so many of these linux android phones are getting infected that even google is releasing anti virus and anti malware software for their insecure phone. BAWWWAWWAWWAAWAAAA!!!!!!!! http://socialbarrel.com/market-version-of-android-market-security-app-detected-to-have-malware/4899/ Market version of Android Market security app detected to have malware Experts from the antivirus company Symantec have found as alternate market version of Android Market Security Tool, which instead of performing anti-virus functions is loaded with malware for data theft from the owner of...

Linux Android (2.3) Gingerbread update
BAWWAWAWAAAA those poor incompetent drug pushers at google - don't they ever test this shit before releasing it on the poor victims. http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09/25/experiencing-issues-after-updating-your-sprint-lg-optimus-s-to-gingerbread-here-are-some-potential-workarounds/ On September 14, Sprint revealed that an update to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) was rolling out for the LG Optimus S. Seems like a good thing, right? Not so fast, actually - it turns out there are some fairly substantial bugs that weren't worked out before rolling out the update. ..Keyboard iss...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

HELP: Classic Won't Launch - Problems Have Escalated
System: MDD DP with OS 10.4.8. Three physical HD's. Two with Tiger installed (one is the major HD and the other is the emergency boot drive with just a virgin system on it) and one with just games, no OS. I tried to boot into OS 9.2.2 (this particular G4 is OS 9.2.2 bootable), It boots but once the desktop appears moving the mouse over the menu bar has no effect. Menus don't pull down and the only way to shutdown is via a hard shutdown. When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts is the games drive which has no system on it. I can't get the opitcal dri...

[News] Linux (Android) Comes to Education, T-Mobile to Sell Linux Tablets

Google Android
<quote> Google boss busted with BlackBerry Google CEO Eric Schmidt has committed something of a corporate faux pas: he's been caught using a BlackBerry smartphone at a recent Sun Valley shindig. As Google's Android phone operating system is now in fierce competition with BlackBerry (and all the other smartphone platforms), this snafu is a bit like wearing leather to a furry convention. It gives a distinct impression that Google's head honcho either isn't that keen on the upcoming phone platform, or doesn't find it suitable for his faced paced corporate lifes...

USB devices (thru' USB/Firewire card) won't mount in OS9.2.2
Anyone got any ideas/solutions? My beige G3 tower has a USB/Firewire PCI card fitted, but although the card shows up in Profiler, any USB devices attached don't show up on the desktop. Not the worst situation except that I have bought a new Edirol USB audio/MIDI interface and want to use it, but I can't. In desperation I have zeroed all data on the main hard drive and a secondary (attached on a PCI card and done a clean re-install of the system (OS9.2.2), but still nothing. The only difference to the G� being pure is that the G3 uses a Sonnet G4 1Ghz upgrade chip, tho' I can't ...

Web resources about - Android microSD card won't mount on Linux OS (Unable to access). Why? - comp.mobile.android