Dual SIM problem with Moto G (2nd generation) in UK

I have had a '3' PAYG SIM in one slot of my Moto G2 from the outset and
various other SIMS in the other slot from time to time. Hitherto,
[except in Australia - see below] I have had "Preferred SIM for mobile
data" set to '3'.

I have just acquired a PlusNet SIM which uses the EE network and have
signed up for a monthly deal with inclusive minutes, texts and data - so
now need to use that as the preferred SIM for mobile data.

Problem is that when I select that, it kills the '3' SIM stone dead and
says "Mobile network not available" when I try to use it.

This seems to be related to the fact that in the Mobile Network Settings
menu there is an item called "Preferred network type" for each of the
SIMs. This is automatically set to 3G for the PlusNet SIM, and doesn't
provide any other options. For the '3' SIM, it's set to 2G - and greyed
out. I think this is the problem, because '3' SIMs won't work on 2G
networks. It looks as if the phone doesn't permit both SIMs to be set to
3G at the same time.

The only way I can find of getting both SIMs working at the same time is
to set the Preferred SIM for mobile data back to '3' - but that's not
what I want because that doesn't allow me to use the PlusNet data I've
paid for.

It doesn't matter which SIM is in which slot - the result is exactly the
same.

Has anyone come across this problem, and is there a solution?

[FWIW, I was in Australia recently and used a local (Amaysim) SIM in one
slot - with the '3' SIM in the other slot in order to use 'feel at home'
- and the two SIMs co-existed quite happily with Amaysim being used for
data - so I'm not quite sure what's different.]
--
Cheers,
Roger