GPS Compass Basic, the best GPS-only Android compass app.

GPS Compass Basic, The best GPS-only Android compass app.  (So far, at
least, but I have other things to do and might not look any further)

I only managed to install one more app last night, GPS Compass Basic.

Tested it today, not quite as easy to read as an earlier app, but....

It works without a magnetometer.

It doesnt' forget what direction I was going when I stop the car.  (I
would write the other guy if it weren't so hard to find addresses for
app writers, because he could probably change this behaviour in 30
seconds, and I don't see why anyone would want it.)

When driving, when I change direction, it knows within a second or two.
Yesterday's app took, I think, 5 to 10 seconds. I thinik today's noticed
when I just changed direction a little to move one lane over.  To the
best of my knowledge it was always accurate about direction.    Although
the bearing could vary by 2 points (total, not plus or minus 2) while
driving in a straight line.

It tells me how fast I'm going, and was between 1 mph less and 1 mph
more than what my speedometer said.

It found me on a map.  Not sure which map it was, but I can probably
find out.

It has a pdf manual.

It does, when I stop the car at a stop sign, for example, stop
displaying bearing and speed.  The speed, of course, is zero, and if I
need an app to tell me that, there's something wrong with me.    Not
sure why the bearing is blanked out but the direction indication in the
rosebud (is that the right word?) still remains.

It uses a lot of power and even when plugged into a car charger, the
phone battery did not charge while the compass was showing.

It has a place to set preferences.  I didnt' find this one one or two of
the other apps.

The manual makes clear it does other things, but I didnt' understand
most of them.   One of the other things appears to be a much bigger
arrow that would be impossible to miss, but I don't know when that is
displayed, even though I read the manual.  Maybe I should pay attention
when I'm reading it.  OTOH, the graphics have clearly changed since the
manual was written.  I know, writing the manual is the least interesting
part of programming.   (I can't provide the url right now.)

Excerpts from the manual, newly posted:
"GPS calculates both speed and direction when moving. The bearing
(route) and speed measurements from GPS are reliable if there are no
obstacles to satellite signals and the speed is over 5 km/h. The
magnetic compass which equips most of the smart phones and touch pads is
not reliable and gives only indicative measurements. GPS Compass
combines GPS and magnetic compass to overcome magnetic compass
limitations."

Excerpts from manual, repeated from another post, to put things in one
post.

GPS Compass Basic, In the manual it just calls it GPS Compass,

"GPS Compass combines GPS and magnetic compass to overcome magnetic
compass limitations.

GPS Compass can act as a normal magnetic Compass or can be driven by
GPS data.

The compass color is white when driven by magnetic compass, is yellow
when driven by GPS  and is grayed when GPS compass is selected but GPS
is not available.

There is also a third option "Automatic compass mode" that changes
automatically from magnetic to GPS  based on the availability of data
from GPS, if GPS speed and direction are not available then magnetic
compass is used....."

So this one actually relies on GPS more than magnetic, even when both
are available.   I've read references to the error possibility of
relying on magnetic.  I know this would include magnetic fields within a
car, but maybe it includes more than that.   This programmer thinks that
GPS measurement is, on average or maybe always, more accurate.  He says:

"Given the coarse accuracy of magnetic compass, GPS Compass provides a
second way  to take bearings. The second way is completely based on GPS.
The GPS based bearing is a 2 steps procedure. In the first step a
reference direction is acquired and memorized, in the second step the
reference is used. The first step can be done once for many bearings. "
   Hmmm.  Maybe this is why it displays a coordinates window at the
start, and maybe other times.   There are 3 possible replies to the
window but I forget what they are.

To get direction, you have go faster than 3MPH.

0
micky
12/23/2016 4:09:31 AM
comp.mobile.android 1779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:09:31 -0500, micky wrote:

> ... rosebud (is that the right word?) ...

Thinking of "windrose"? Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
12/23/2016 5:23:45 AM
Dne 23/12/2016 v 05:09 micky napsal(a):

> When driving, when I change direction, it knows within a second or two.
> Yesterday's app took, I think, 5 to 10 seconds. I thinik today's noticed
> when I just changed direction a little to move one lane over.  To the
> best of my knowledge it was always accurate about direction.    Although
> the bearing could vary by 2 points (total, not plus or minus 2) while
> driving in a straight line. [...]

Direction related things in GPS applications are usually filtered
by a variant of a famous Kalman filter.

There is always a trade off between stability and response time,
given by a filtering strength,
especially for lower speeds and/or bad GPS accuracy.

As subsequent positions are always more or less noisy,
and the oriented path per 1s interval
(from which the direction is derived from )
is even more noisy than positions itself.

E.g. if the position accuracy is e.g. 30 m,
given direction after 2 seconds with speed 10 km/s
would be rather a wish than a direction.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
0
Poutnik
12/23/2016 6:49:01 AM
micky wrote:

> I would write the other guy if it weren't so hard to find addresses
> for app writers, because he could probably change this behaviour in
> 30 seconds, and I don't see why anyone would want it.

That's what leaving feedback/ratings in the play store is for ...

0
Andy
12/23/2016 8:43:23 AM
Dne 23/12/2016 v 05:09 micky napsal(a):

> .
> There is also a third option "Automatic compass mode" that changes
> automatically from magnetic to GPS  based on the availability of data
> from GPS, if GPS speed and direction are not available then magnetic
> compass is used....."
>
> So this one actually relies on GPS more than magnetic, even when both
> are available.   I've read references to the error possibility of
> relying on magnetic.  I know this would include magnetic fields within a
> car, but maybe it includes more than that.   This programmer thinks that
> GPS measurement is, on average or maybe always, more accurate.  He says:
>
> "Given the coarse accuracy of magnetic compass, GPS Compass provides a
> second way  to take bearings. The second way is completely based on GPS.
> The GPS based bearing is a 2 steps procedure. In the first step a
> reference direction is acquired and memorized, in the second step the
> reference is used. The first step can be done once for many bearings. "
>    Hmmm.  Maybe this is why it displays a coordinates window at the
> start, and maybe other times.   There are 3 possible replies to the
> window but I forget what they are.

A good Kalman filter would get input of both, GPS and compass, if available,
combining them to an input more reliable than either of them alone.

GPS course has advantage
of subsequent position measurements improving the accuracy.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
0
Poutnik
12/23/2016 9:14:56 AM
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:43:23 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I would write the other guy if it weren't so hard to find addresses
>> for app writers, because he could probably change this behaviour in
>> 30 seconds, and I don't see why anyone would want it.
>
>That's what leaving feedback/ratings in the play store is for ...

I haven't figured out how to do that -- I don't even know how to read
more than 3 or 4 reviews --  but I did find his email address on the
page and I wrote him about an hour ago.   He said he'd fix it, but he
also told me about a much newer program, updated just yesterday, that
doesn't change the direction of the arrow if the speed is below 2km/hr.
Sounds like just what I want.

gps compass navigator

So I'll try that tomorrow.

0
micky
12/23/2016 9:38:18 AM
On 12/23/2016 10:38 AM, micky wrote:

> I haven't figured out how to do that -- I don't even know how to read
> more than 3 or 4 reviews --  but I did find his email address on the
> page and I wrote him about an hour ago.   He said he'd fix it, but he
> also told me about a much newer program, updated just yesterday, that
> doesn't change the direction of the arrow if the speed is below 2km/hr.
> Sounds like just what I want.
>
> gps compass navigator
>
> So I'll try that tomorrow.

You can post comments to any application you downloaded at Google Store,
at the place where the rating stars are.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
0
Poutnik
12/23/2016 9:51:55 AM
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 23 Dec 2016 00:23:45 -0500, tlvp
<mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:09:31 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> ... rosebud (is that the right word?) ...
>
>Thinking of "windrose"? Cheers, -- tlvp

I don't think so. I don't think I ever heard that word until this week.

Maybe I'm thinking of "rose".

0
micky
12/24/2016 5:29:17 AM
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 23 Dec 2016 10:51:55 +0100, Poutnik
<poutnik4nntp@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/23/2016 10:38 AM, micky wrote:
>

>> I haven't figured out how to do that -- I don't even know how to read
>> more than 3 or 4 reviews --  but I did find his email address on the
>> page and I wrote him about an hour ago.   He said he'd fix it, but he
>> also told me about a much newer program, updated just yesterday, that
>> doesn't change the direction of the arrow if the speed is below 2km/hr.
>> Sounds like just what I want.
>>
>> gps compass navigator
>>
>> So I'll try that tomorrow.

It's altimeter worked great.  The hills are a lot steeper than I
thought, and now I can make a direct measurement of the teeny valley in
which I live.   I think it's no more than 80  feet deep, maybe only 50
or 60, but that seems to be enough to keep me from getting much of a
breeze, unless that's not the reason.

But the compass part didn't move, at all.  It was worse than the one
that reverted to north whenever I stopped the car.   He said it required
Android 5 and I have that but maybe not exactly what it needs.

>You can post comments to any application you downloaded at Google Store,
>at the place where the rating stars are.

I tried to do this and it didn't work, but on rereading your 20 words,
apparently 20 was too much for me to comprehend on my first try.  I
think you didn't mean in Windows but on the phone.   I hate typing on
the little phone (even though it's 5.5", bigger than the 3" phone I
used to have.)

And I was hoping to connect a keyboard using USB? To Go, but that
doesn't work.  Apparently if it worked, gsmarena.com would show "Host"
near to USB on one of the lines.

But they do show the email address so I guess it's okay to write.

How come in Windows, none of the web links are clickable?  ... Maybe
that's because whoever wrote the description doesn't make them
clickable.   But so far, none have been.
0
micky
12/24/2016 5:38:05 AM
Dne 24/12/2016 v 06:38 micky napsal(a):

> But the compass part didn't move, at all.  It was worse than the one
> that reverted to north whenever I stopped the car.   He said it required
> Android 5 and I have that but maybe not exactly what it needs.

OTOH, when you stop, have the location and the map,
you do not really need the GPS azimut to be told,
as you know it.

>> You can post comments to any application you downloaded at Google Store,
>> at the place where the rating stars are.
>
> I tried to do this and it didn't work, but on rereading your 20 words,
> apparently 20 was too much for me to comprehend on my first try.  I
> think you didn't mean in Windows but on the phone.   I hate typing on
> the little phone (even though it's 5.5", bigger than the 3" phone I
> used to have.)

AFAIK, it works on any device,  if logged with the same Google account.
Therefore either in Android Google play appication,
in on play.google.com via desktop/notebook browser.

At the same site, you can order Google to install an application
on your device of the choice, if registered with that account.

> And I was hoping to connect a keyboard using USB? To Go, but that
> doesn't work.  Apparently if it worked, gsmarena.com would show "Host"
> near to USB on one of the lines.

a device must support it, having a cable is not enough.
But I have no experience with that.

There are also some desktop applications controlling the phone,
but it is handy at home, not on the road.

> How come in Windows, none of the web links are clickable?  ... Maybe
> that's because whoever wrote the description doesn't make them
> clickable.   But so far, none have been.

If a link is not put down with special syntax marking for a link,
it is technically not a link, but a text just looking as a link.

It is then on the application design, if it analyzes the text
for the presence of text-links. Once detected, and application
may convert them for the end user to the true links.

Some do so, so do not.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
0
Poutnik
12/24/2016 9:36:04 AM
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 00:29:17 -0500, micky wrote:

> In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 23 Dec 2016 00:23:45 -0500, tlvp
> <mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:09:31 -0500, micky wrote:
>>
>>> ... rosebud (is that the right word?) ...
>>
>>Thinking of "windrose"? Cheers, -- tlvp
>
> I don't think so. I don't think I ever heard that word until this week.
>
> Maybe I'm thinking of "rose".

Maybe. Or "Compass Rose". To Quote part of wikipedia's Compass_rose entry
from <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_rose>:

> A compass rose, sometimes called a windrose, or
> Rose of the Winds, is a figure on a compass, map,
> nautical chart, or monument used to display the orientation ...

But only you can guarantee what you were thinking of :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
12/24/2016 5:03:27 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 10:51:55 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> You can post comments to any application you downloaded at Google Store,
> at the place where the rating stars are.

Unless, of course, the system won't let you log in again (my experience
every time). Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
12/24/2016 5:05:08 PM
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 24 Dec 2016 12:03:27 -0500, tlvp
<mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 00:29:17 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 23 Dec 2016 00:23:45 -0500, tlvp
>> <mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net> wrote:

>>>Thinking of "windrose"? Cheers, -- tlvp
>>
>> I don't think so. I don't think I ever heard that word until this week.
>>
>> Maybe I'm thinking of "rose".
>
>Maybe. Or "Compass Rose". To Quote part of wikipedia's Compass_rose entry
>from <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_rose>:
>
>> A compass rose,

Yeah, that might be it.

> sometimes called a windrose, or

I think this is what Microsoft calls it.    The counterpart of an
applerose.

>> Rose of the Winds, is a figure on a compass, map,
>> nautical chart, or monument used to display the orientation ...
>
>But only you can guarantee what you were thinking of :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

I can't do that either.
0
micky
12/24/2016 6:26:09 PM
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 24 Dec 2016 10:36:04 +0100, Poutnik
<poutnik4nntp@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dne 24/12/2016 v 06:38 micky napsal(a):
>>
>> But the compass part didn't move, at all.  It was worse than the one
>> that reverted to north whenever I stopped the car.   He said it required
>> Android 5 and I have that but maybe not exactly what it needs.
>
>OTOH, when you stop, have the location and the map,
>you do not really need the GPS azimut to be told,
>as you know it.
>>
>>> You can post comments to any application you downloaded at Google Store,
>>> at the place where the rating stars are.
>>
>> I tried to do this and it didn't work, but on rereading your 20 words,
>> apparently 20 was too much for me to comprehend on my first try.  I
>> think you didn't mean in Windows but on the phone.   I hate typing on
>> the little phone (even though it's 5.5", bigger than the 3" phone I
>> used to have.)
>
>AFAIK, it works on any device,

This paragraph has been declared inoperative. To be r ead for historical
reasons only, or skip to next paragraph.
If you go to the Playstore on a PC, for every app I've looked at, 5 or
more (not a lot out of thousands, that's true) there was no way to enter
any data.  The only place where the arrow cursor changes to a pointing
finger is the rating stars at the top, but clicking on them just
positions the screen at the reviews farther down.

And even if it said there had been 800 reviews, it might show only 20,
or even 2.   Not that I have time enough to read very many.

>if logged with the same Google account.

Because I'm normally automatically logged in at the google search page,
I figured I was automatically logged in at the playsstore, or if I
weren't it would suggest it.  Well, I wasn't logged in, and I'm supposed
to figure that out because in  the upper right corner is a button to log
in.   But maybe the bigger difference is that the Write a Review box
only shows up for apps that I"ve installed.     That surely makes sense,
but it surprises me.

>Therefore either in Android Google play appication,
>in on play.google.com via desktop/notebook browser.
>
>At the same site, you can order Google to install an application
>on your device of the choice, if registered with that account.

Are you saying that while I'm on  the PC, I can get it to install an app
on my phone?    I see the button, but I always figured it would be like
trying to fill the oil tank of a gas furnace.

>> And I was hoping to connect a keyboard using USB? To Go, but that

I meant On The Go.

>> doesn't work.  Apparently if it worked, gsmarena.com would show "Host"
>> near to USB on one of the lines.
>
>a device must support it, having a cable is not enough.

Right.

>But I have no experience with that.

>There are also some desktop applications controlling the phone,
>but it is handy at home, not on the road.

At home would be good enough.

Do you have any suggestions about an application that would control the
phone??      I installed Mobizen and spent a lot of time trying to get
it to work, but I gave up.   (As I think you know, if it worked it
wouldn't just connect a keyboard to the phone, but a keyboard and a
whole PC together would control the phone.  That would be fine too.)

>> How come in Windows, none of the web links are clickable?  ... Maybe
>> that's because whoever wrote the description doesn't make them
>> clickable.   But so far, none have been.
>>

>If a link is not put down with special syntax marking for a link,
>it is technically not a link, but a text just looking as a link.
>
>It is then on the application design, if it analyzes the text
>for the presence of text-links. Once detected, and application
>may convert them for the end user to the true links.
>
>Some do so, so do not.

Yes.
0
micky
12/24/2016 7:20:18 PM
In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:09:31 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>GPS Compass Basic, The best GPS-only Android compass app.

All the good things I said about this still apply, but I had forgotten
at the end of the day the app said,   Unfortunately the app has closed.
or something like that.

That didnt' bother me but reopening it didn't work.   That didn't bother
me because I was sure once I turned the phone on and off, it would work
again.   (It suggested I send an email to the author, and I did.)

The next day I was amazed to see that even that didn't make it work.

Is turning off an Android phone more like Hibernate, or like Shut Down,
would be on a PC?    I'm too senile to know if the same apps are running
when I turn the phone on again.

Anyhow, when I turned the phone on the next day, the app still wouldn't
open.  The only way I got it to work was to uninstall it and reinstall
it, which required setting the preferences again.

Is there anything between just reopening and reinstalling?   Some way to
affirmatively unload an app that is running?

AIUI, because Android handles memory differently from Windows, there is
normally no advantage to closing an app?  And therefore Android doesn't
close them.    Until one turns off the phone?   What about the blue
broom at the bottom of the running-app list (that the square box on the
bottom right displays.)

0
micky
12/24/2016 7:32:00 PM
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 14:20:18 -0500, micky wrote:

> Are you saying that while I'm on  the PC, I can get it to install an app
> on my phone?

Yep. It won't necessarily install while you're on the PC, but it will mark
on a tickler list (that only it gets to refer to) your desire to have that
app installed on your phone and, at the next opportunity to do so, it will
(try to) do so. Spares you from having to laboriously jot down the link to
the install page and enter it into your handset so as to install directly.

Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
12/25/2016 5:09:35 AM
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 14:32:00 -0500, micky wrote:

> Is there anything between just reopening and reinstalling?   Some way to
> affirmatively unload an app that is running?

Try: Settings | Applications | Manage Applications | [AppInQuestion] |
MenuKey | Force stop
or: Settings | Applications | Running Services |  [AppInQuestion] |
[RelevantProcessOrService] | Stop .

That'd work in Android 2.3.5 on a Moto Droid X2. YMMV. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp