Where are old text messages stored on phone?

Where are old text messages stored on my phone?

I have a StraightTalk Android phone (Alcatel) and I would like to save the
text messages to my computer.  I can connect it to my computer and I can
copy all files, folders, etc. to my computer.  But, I can't find any files
or folders that contain the text messages.

0
TomR
12/18/2016 4:37:13 PM
comp.mobile.android 1779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

TomR wrote:

> Where are old text messages stored on my phone?

Presumably they're in a SQLite database somewhere, I've never looked.
But I do use this handy app for backup up of SMS messages and phone call
history to an XML file

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en>

0
Andy
12/18/2016 5:20:42 PM
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:20:42 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> TomR wrote:
>
>> Where are old text messages stored on my phone?
>

> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?
id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en>

+1 for that - excellent app.
0
Bob
12/18/2016 6:04:16 PM
On 12/18/2016 12:20 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> TomR wrote:
>
>> Where are old text messages stored on my phone?

> Presumably they're in a SQLite database somewhere, I've never looked.
> But I do use this handy app for backup up of SMS messages and phone call
> history to an XML file
>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en>

Thanks.  As it turns out, I just downloaded and installed that on my new
StraightTalk Android phone.

Unfortunately, my prior StraightTalk Android phone crashed yesterday
afternoon.  When it turns on, all it does is go to a blue screen that
says, "A service of TracFone Wireless, Inc.".  It won't boot up or go
any further than that.

When I called StraightTalk they said that the only thing they could do
was try to completely rest that phone.  But, if they do that, they said
I will lose everything on the phone -- all apps, all photos and media,
all texts, etc.  They did say that I could switch the MicroSD Card from
that phone and put it in my new phone and some things on my old card
will work on the new phone.  What I ended up doing is transfer my number
on my old phone to the new phone, and my new phone does have all of the
old Apps etc. -- just none of the old text messages as far as I can
tell.  Even my old vociemail messages transferred over -- just no text
messages.

I didn't know until today that there was an App such as SMSbackup.  If I
knew that before, I would have been able to retrieve all of my prior
text messages. :-(   Now, it looks like they are probably gone forever.
0
RayDay
12/18/2016 8:31:23 PM
On 12/18/2016 3:31 PM, RayDay wrote:
> On 12/18/2016 12:20 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> TomR wrote:
>>
>>> Where are old text messages stored on my phone?
>
>> Presumably they're in a SQLite database somewhere, I've never looked.
>> But I do use this handy app for backup up of SMS messages and phone call
>> history to an XML file
>>
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en>

> Thanks.  As it turns out, I just downloaded and installed that on my new
> StraightTalk Android phone.
>
> Unfortunately, my prior StraightTalk Android phone crashed yesterday
> afternoon.  When it turns on, all it does is go to a blue screen that
> says, "A service of TracFone Wireless, Inc.".  It won't boot up or go
> any further than that.
>
> When I called StraightTalk they said that the only thing they could do
> was try to completely rest that phone.  But, if they do that, they said
> I will lose everything on the phone -- all apps, all photos and media,
> all texts, etc.  They did say that I could switch the MicroSD Card from
> that phone and put it in my new phone and some things on my old card
> will work on the new phone.  What I ended up doing is transfer my number
> on my old phone to the new phone, and my new phone does have all of the
> old Apps etc. -- just none of the old text messages as far as I can
> tell.  Even my old vociemail messages transferred over -- just no text
> messages.
>
> I didn't know until today that there was an App such as SMSbackup.  If I
> knew that before, I would have been able to retrieve all of my prior
> text messages. :-(   Now, it looks like they are probably gone forever.

Oops, I meant to post that message as from TomR, not RayDay, -- same
person, just a different computer with a different identity set up.

0
TomR
12/18/2016 8:35:27 PM
In article <ebnuq6F3tvaU1@mid.individual.net>, usenet@andyburns.uk, Andy
Burns says...

> TomR wrote:
>
> > Where are old text messages stored on my phone?
>
> Presumably they're in a SQLite database somewhere, I've never looked.
> But I do use this handy app for backup up of SMS messages and phone call
> history to an XML file
>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en>

+1 also for this app.

Just watch the space though on your *local* device (phone storage,
whether it be internal or SD-card).  It builds up, and up!  I clean 'em
out every once in a while.

If you backup to the cloud (which I think is great) you can control the
cloud storage retention automatically.

--
Duncan.
0