Free and Open Source MIDI songs (ressources) 66884

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Dear Group,

developers of free and open software (cf. Wikipedia: Free Software)
often face problems when they need ressources for background music. To
be able to distribute music with free software, the music has to be
licensed in a propper way (like GNU GPL).

As we can render nice music from MIDI sources (e.g. with timidity), I
wonder if there is a collection of free (like in freedom) MIDI files
(like creative commons)?

Otherwise I shall opt starting such kind of collection myself.

In case you created some MIDI files yourself (this is important) and
the composer is either dead for more than 100 years (or it is you!),
then these files might be interesting.

Any volunteers? The widest range of freedom is provided by the GNU
General Public Licence which allows the contribution for any means and
even the alternation and spreading of modified songs - as long as the
file is kept under this free license, and all major changes are logged
including their auctors. This secures that your name will stay attached
to the song. Otherwise you can publish the song as public domain - then
you loose any copyrights and the data can be spread without naming you.

IANAL - so please correct me, where I might have been unprecise. Thanks
for your attention,

with kind regards
Ralf.

0
Reply ralf (1) 8/6/2006 10:51:19 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.music.midi 2971 articles. 23 followers. Post

Free and Open Source MIDI songs (ressources) 186406
Dear MIDI Musician, maybe you have a MIDI tune of your own to share? Developers of free and open software (cf. Wikipedia: Free Software) often face problems when they need ressources for background music. To be able to distribute music with free software, the music has to be licensed in a propper way (like GNU GPL). As we can render nice music from MIDI sources (e.g. with timidity), I wonder if there is a collection of free (like in freedom) MIDI files (like creative commons)? Otherwise I shall opt starting such kind of collection myself. In case you created some MIDI files yourself (this...

Free Open Source Business Plan based on Open Source CMS (Download for Free)--22surf.com
Open Source has moved well beyond the operating system into higher level programs such as content management systems. There are many business models this suggests--most of them based on Linux, Apache, PHP, MYSQL. I've come up with an open source business plan--the business plan itself is open source, so feel free to download it. http://22surf.com http://authena.org It's a Catch-22. Universally trusted DRM and syndicated commerce can't work unless the business methods are open, and it is common wisdom that a business must keep its methods secret. Unless of course the business ...

[News] A Shift in Mindset from Open Source to Free Libre Open Source
Does Open Source Licensing Matter? ,----[ Quote ] | While the title of the panel was "Why Open Source Licensing Matters," panel | moderator Matt Asay, vice president of business development at Alfresco, said | it does matter, though maybe not for all the people on this panel. Asay | recently helped to move Alfresco from a SugarCRM-type attribution license to | the GPLv2. | | Though the panel didn't agree on the value of OSI-approved open source | licensing, it did agree on the value of the open source model. | | "Open source as a community matters," Asay ...

[News] Open Source Winner for Voting Machines, More on Free Open Source Advantages
US/Canada Team Wins Voting Machine Competition ,----[ Quote ] | Chaum later developed his own system, Scantegrity, from the same concept used | in Punchscan. Scantegrity is fully open source (in Java). Chaum says the | system is easy to implement with current optical-scan voting systems, thus | reducing costs and the time it would take to get the voting system certified | and implemented in election districts. `---- http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/07/us-team-wins-vo.html You're never alone with Plone ,----[ Quote ] | Ask Plone users what they like best about the open-sour...

[News] Free/Open Source Software Discovery Made Easier; Open Source SEO
OpenLogic preparing open source software discovery tool ,----[ Quote ] | The tool identifies software by digital fingerprints, comparing | them to OpenLogic's library of 800 of the most commonly used | open source packages. `---- http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/04/openlogic_prepa.html Squiz to demo v3.12 of MySource Matrix Open Source CMS - the SEO Killer Web App - at Internet World ,----[ Quote ] | In short, MySource Matrix v3.12 has been designed to enable users to | enhance their Google rankings without a mountain of cash, nor an | army of consultants. At Intern...

[News] Another Free/Open Source Directory Site Launched (Open Source Living)
Open Source Living - Directory of Applications ,----[ Quote ] | Open Source Living is an archive of the best open source applications. | Software is sorted by categories, such as Web, Graphics, Audio. And while not | every application listed at Open Source Living is entirely cross-platform, a | good deal of them are. `---- http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/12/29/open-source-living-directory-of-applications/ Related: European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros ,----[ Quote ] | Rishab Ghosh, a senior researcher at the UN University in Maastricht, | will tell the Open Ireland...

[News] Firefox an Free/Open Source Success Story; Projects Elevated Owing to Open Source
Ross: Firefox Goes Where Few Browsers Have Gone Before ,----[ Quote ] | Blake Ross continues to work on the Firefox browser and on the upcoming | 3.0 version of the browser. But Ross is also involved in a new | company called Parakey, which he has said is working on | building essentially a Web-based operating system. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2104133,00.asp Jive Software finds its voice ,----[ Quote ] | Jive Software offers an open-source version of Openfire for free and sells | a higher-end enterprise version to companies for $15 per user per year. `---- http://news.co...

[News] [OSS] RISC OS Jealous of Free Software, Praises Open Source, Goes Open Source
RISC OS News: Wakefield 2007 show report ,----[ Quote ] | Chatting to Jack, it seemed apparent that he is perhaps a little | envious of the lively community-based websites in the Linux, BSD, BeOS | and Apple Mac platforms. Websites such as Fresh Meat, kernel.org and | haiku-os.org allow fellow developers to download source code, collaborate | on projects, discuss bugs and features, and generally form a feeling | of cohesion within a platform. It also encourages outside coders | and organisations to join in because they'll be more willing to try | out an operating system that has an active...

Open Source Business Plan For Open Source DRM & CMS: 22surf.org--download for free!!
Hello! Any feedback would rock! You can download the complete Open Source business plan at http://22surf.org . 22surf Summary: Digital rights management (DRM) is the holy grail of the internet. It is a multi-billion-dollar, ever-expanding market, and an apt solution will be invaluable to the livelihood of content creators, programmers, and media companies. The 22surf business plan for generating revenue with Open Source CMS and DRM has been Open Sourced in an effort to foster discussion and inspire fellow artist-hackers to build businesses. Rather than proposing another CMS, 22surf seek...

[News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source
Es operating system http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnes.sourceforge.jp%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 iPhone Dev Team to Open Source Free Unlock Software ,----[ Quote ] | In an effort to keep up with Apple's changes at a faster speed, the iPhone | Dev Team is considering open sourcing AnySIM, the free unlocking solution for | the iPhone. `---- http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/exclusive/iphone-dev-team-to-open-source-free-unlock-software-328846.php Related and very recent (and exciting!): Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found   ,----[ Quote ]...

[News] Free (as in "Free Speech" and "Free Beer") Open Source Courses
Open-of-Course-Free Online Courses and Tutorial ,----[ Quote ] | Here you will find a growing amount of free online courses and tutorials. | By "free" we not only mean free as in "free beer" but also published as | open content . Our focus is at the start mainly on open source software | courses but as we grow more will be added. | | Our goal is to create a multilingual platform for free quality | educational information. `---- http://www.open-of-course.org/ Sounds like Wikipedia beat them to it. ...

[News] Free Linux Hosting with Free Open Source
Apparently they try to build a customer base. 3,000 free Linux hosting accounts. I have had a go through registration and the coupon appears to grant one year's free hosting for existing domain names. There's probably a catch, so I'm using a tinyurl < http://tinyurl.com/kh9av >. ...

(Free Closed Source) vs (Open Source) Databases
Hi, What do you feel on the comparison between these 2? Any outline on the pro's & con's? Nowadays, we have free versions of proprietary databases coming up like Oracle Express Edition, MS SQL Server Express & the like. And also we have a huge list of open-source databases. How do you choose whether to go for a free version of a closed source database or for an open-source DB? Regards, Raga Raga wrote: > What do you feel on the comparison between these 2? Any outline on the > pro's & con's? > > Nowadays, we have free versions of p...

[News] Free Open Source Keeps Thriving, Relies on Open Standards
Open Source Is Calling ,----[ Quote ] | Open-source technology has transformed the enterprise-software landscape in | the past several years. Offerings such as Linux, OpenOffice and SugarCRM have | arrived to bring the cost and quality benefits of community-developed and | community-maintained software to almost every business sector. `---- http://www.voip-news.com/feature/open-source-calling-121207/ Open Enterprise Interview: Dominic Sartorio ,----[ Quote ] | Successful ISVs go out of their way to plan for interoperability, starting in | version 1, with modular and standards-based ...

[News] Free/Open Source Software Claimed More Bug-free and Cheaper
Are FDs paying too much for their IT? ,----[ Quote ] | Despite scepticism in the UK, open source adoption is becoming more widely | accepted. Some would clearly argue that any scepticism is uncalled for, with | thousands of developers in the open source community working together to | enhance the code and ensure high quality. The constant innovation that goes | into open source code and its subsequently fast development cycle, make it | quite possibly more robust and less susceptible to errors than proprietary | software. `---- http://www.financeweek.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=59...

[News] Free/Open Source Projects Spread Further, More Code Made Free

[News] Free Software vs. Open Source vs. Open Standards
Why “Open Source” misses the point of Free Software ,----[ Quote ] | As the advocates of open source draw new users into our community, we free | software activists have to work even more to bring the issue of freedom to | those new users' attention. We have to say, “It's free software and it gives | you freedom!”—more and louder than ever. Every time you say “free software” | rather than “open source,” you help our campaign. `---- http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html Open Source: Beyond Infrastructure ,----[ Quote ] | We all know that open source...

[News] Free/Open Source Software Luminary Calls for Open Access on Research

[News] Why Free Software/Open Source Trumps Gratis/Non-Free Software

[News] Free/Open Source Software Portal; Movie Industry and Free Software

[News] Free Open Source Film Made with Free Software and GNU/Linux
Open source on the big screen: Matt Ebb tells tales of Elephants Dream ,----[ Quote ] | Lead artist from Elephants Dream speaks about what it is like to make your | own open movie using open source tools and the power of the community. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1111810628 BMW is faking 'open source': An Open-Source OS for Your Dashboard (Sort Of) ,----[ Quote ] | How cool can this be: Open source software comes to the dashboard. Imagine | writing a music player, your own music player, to totally personalize your | ride. `---- http://www.pcmag.com/ar...

[News] Government of France and Texas Lean Towards Free/Open Source/Open Data

[News] Profiting from Free Software; WSO2 Expands Free/Open Source Software Portfolio

[News] Google Unveils Source Code Search, Fuelled by Free Open Source Software
Google crawls into source-code search ,----[ Quote ] | The company on Thursday launched a Web site, Google Code Search, which | the company says will let programmers search billions of lines of code | for tips on how to write their own software. `---- http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6122819.html This clearly puts Open Source programmers at position of greater advantage. Imagine being able to see an example of the use of a function within seconds, as well as find reusable components. Dot net programmers may have a harder time... Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Google crawls into source-code...