Help, please. Guitar plus keyboards into laptop

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've been a professional musician playing guitar (jazz-rock area) for
over 20 years, UK-based, and finally getting into the wonders of midi
and synths. I bought a cheapo Casio keyboard for my daughter, and have
been intrigued by the backing tracks available on it for improvising
over. I am seeking answers to two things, and your help would be much
appreciated.

1. Short term. I want to put the Casio CTK-691 (has midi in/out) and
the Yamaha P120 (ditto) plus my electric guitar into my laptop. I'll
need Cubase or similar, and a midi connector for the laptop. I want to
record backing tracks for my students, and also recordings of me
improvising over the backing tracks. I'm not talking CD releases, just
educational and fun stuff, but good quality. Probably guitar-related
software in there too. What should I get?

2. Long term. The 'ready-made' backing tracks which I can manipulate
on the fly with chord changes, tempo changes, drum fill-ins, intros
and endings - I really love these and would like to explore higher-end
stuff than the Casio has to offer. Stuff I could use in gigs. However,
I'm a little too old and a little too scared of all this new-fangled
technology, to spend hours and hours writing these tracks myself. I
like jazz rock and world music instruments/percussion, ambient sounds.
What do you recommend? Would I be better getting a hardware synth (in
which case, which would be the best for 'ready-made' solutions?) or
software synths and VST or DSP plugins for sounds I like? I eventually
want to get one of my guitars synth-ready (probably Roland) and play
along with keyboard synths.

Queen Maggie

0
Reply music766 (1) 5/1/2007 4:21:21 PM

See related articles to this posting

Please look at below link, it is an midi to usb cable and works perfectly on
one of our systems.
http://www.feedback.nl/?id=55&b=EXMIDI1X1

For midi try to use something like "Reason" from Propellerhead
http://www.propellerheads.se/
I'm using it with great pleasure

Guitar can be recorded directly into your laptop (if is has audio-in)
We use line-6 POD for amplifier and effects simulation.
http://www.feedback.nl/?id=55&b=POD2

Best regards
Paul Groen

"Queen Maggie" <music@qmu.ac.uk> schreef in bericht
> I've been a professional musician playing guitar (jazz-rock area) for
> over 20 years, UK-based, and finally getting into the wonders of midi
> and synths. I bought a cheapo Casio keyboard for my daughter, and have
> been intrigued by the backing tracks available on it for improvising
> over. I am seeking answers to two things, and your help would be much
> appreciated.
>
> 1. Short term. I want to put the Casio CTK-691 (has midi in/out) and
> the Yamaha P120 (ditto) plus my electric guitar into my laptop. I'll
> need Cubase or similar, and a midi connector for the laptop. I want to
> record backing tracks for my students, and also recordings of me
> improvising over the backing tracks. I'm not talking CD releases, just
> educational and fun stuff, but good quality. Probably guitar-related
> software in there too. What should I get?
>
> 2. Long term. The 'ready-made' backing tracks which I can manipulate
> on the fly with chord changes, tempo changes, drum fill-ins, intros
> and endings - I really love these and would like to explore higher-end
> stuff than the Casio has to offer. Stuff I could use in gigs. However,
> I'm a little too old and a little too scared of all this new-fangled
> technology, to spend hours and hours writing these tracks myself. I
> like jazz rock and world music instruments/percussion, ambient sounds.
> What do you recommend? Would I be better getting a hardware synth (in
> which case, which would be the best for 'ready-made' solutions?) or
> software synths and VST or DSP plugins for sounds I like? I eventually
> want to get one of my guitars synth-ready (probably Roland) and play
> along with keyboard synths.
>
> Queen Maggie

0
Reply Paul 5/8/2007 11:06:51 AM
comp.music.midi 2957 articles. 23 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

external USB keyboard requires reboot after laptop wakes from suspend or hibernate
Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop) Monitor: ViewSonic P815 (via VGA port) My external USB keyboard stopped working after the laptop wakes from hibernate mode (due to a power outage). The last time this happened, the external USB keyboard worked again after a reboot. Is there a way to get the external USB keyboard to work when laptop wakes from hibernate without a reboot? "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message news:jmn7up$4aq$1@dont-email.me... > Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS > System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop) > Monitor: ViewSoni...

Please help new to laptops... Help
Hi all, Just bought an Evesham A410 Voyager which comes with the AMD Turion MT34 cpu and the ATI mobile X700 graphics card. I would like to play the occasional game of Counter Strike Source when I'm working away but have found it jumpy when I've played. I've checked all settings etc and the system hould be up to a game - I'm guessing its the 512mb of ram. I'm new to laptops etc and need some advice on ram - Do they use pc3200 ddr (SODimm)? Is my notebook capable of running dual channel? what ram do I buy? Thanks in advance. An excellent place to purchase ram is f...

Help please.. Which Laptop??
Where might i find the best deals on a new machine.. It must have cd-rec/dvd-rom, usb/firewire, decent (loud) head-phone sound, at least 60 gigs HD. One of the biggest problems with the machines i have been looking at is that the sound sucks.. Head-phone volume isn't loud enough... DREW Please e-mail me direct at: ib_drew@yahoo.com I got a Dell Latitude D600 that seems pretty cool. As I am a professional musician and have been for many years I have to warn you of the dangers of piping in loud headphone music. You're asking for a bad case of tinnutis and nerve deafness (which I ha...

Please help with Keyboard
I have a Mac Pro Software Version OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74). With the original keyboard which is new. I had been using a smaller keyboard but have now made room for the larger one. I can not get the three volume keys or eject key to work (top right row). When I have keyboard viewer showing and switch from U.S. to U.S. Extended the keys don't show up on the keyboard layout but the name of the keyboard layout does change at the top in fact thats the only change I see. I have gone through and Restored Defaults for all the Keyboard Shortcuts and reset the Pram. Even tried using Google....

Please Help Me Salvage This Laptop
Hi, my friend gave me an Acer laptop that he had used for his job, it no longer starts up. He said if I could get it working it is mine and I wouldn't mine having an extra laptop. It is windows 98. When I turn it on it says enter system diskette to reboot. I have no cd roms or discs that came with the computer. I tried putting in the recovery cd from my vaio windows xp, but after seemingly loading it up it says microsoft permanent fatal error, system has to shut down, So can this laptop be salvaged. I guess I would need a startup disk to windows 98, but not even sure if that would d...

laptop problem
Can anybody tell me what's wrong with my laptop computer, and what I need to do to fix it? I bought it about four years ago. The battery stopped charging a while ago, but I didn't worry about it because the computer still worked fine with the A/C plug-in. But then later the computer started freezing up. Sometimes the screen would go balnk and it wouldn't turn off even after holding the power button down for a while, and the only way to turn it off was to unplug it. Then it started happening more frequently, until either the screen would blank or it would shut off within...

Help with Keyboard Maestro please....
I am not sure what happened but I cannot seem to find the preferences and documentation. First I installed the latest version and purchased and registered it. It opened with preferences and I set a couple but it was too flakey so someone suggested DLing the beta version since it was supposed to work better with Panther. I installed it and it appears to be running in the background (it switches on opt-tab) but it does not show in the dock and I don't know how to get into it. The "read me" says the documentation is accessible from the Maestro menu but I don't see a...

keyboard broken- please help
hi i have a cebop notebook and suddenly the keybord went crazy. the caps key is always pressed. i tryed to clean it but its not working. is it possible to disable the internal keyboard? thx annalena ...

Noisy Laptop... Please Help
I purchased a refurbished T30 off of an auction site, and I've noticed lately that it has been very noisy. It started about 6 months about I bought it. I am trying to figure out if it is in fact a fan that is acting up or if it is the hard drive. Any suggestions on what I can do to determine which piece of hardware is annoying me? Just a side note, I have the indexing service disabled and it will make the noise while there is no activity on the system. One last thing, if it is in fact a fan, how hard would it be to change it out? I have downloaded the hardware maintenance manual for ...

old laptop, help please
I have a compaq armada 4131T w/o a dockstation how can i get linux on it through and if possible which one On 2006-01-02, bmxer extroidinare <raprapper713@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a compaq armada 4131T w/o a dockstation how can i get > linux on it through and if possible which one Do you really expect us to look up the model number and try to guess what perhipherals you have? -- Grant Edwards grante@visi.com On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:17:55 -0800, bmxer extroidinare wrote: > I have a compaq armada 4131T w/o a dockstation how can i get linux on > it through and if possi...

laptop info and help please
SONY FS115E INTEL CELERON M PROCESSOR 360 1.40 GHZ LAPTOP Intel Celeron M Processor 360 1.40 GHz 400 MHz FSB 1 Mb Cache �749.99 inc VAT Available at the Currys group was looking for a k415b but this seems almost the same spec mark taylor wrote: > > SONY FS115E INTEL CELERON M PROCESSOR 360 1.40 GHZ LAPTOP > > Intel Celeron M Processor 360 1.40 GHz > 400 MHz FSB > 1 Mb Cache > �749.99 > inc VAT > > Available at the Currys group was looking for a k415b but this seems almost > the same spec And...

please help with laptop problem
I've posted this before, but I had not observed the problem as much as now. The problem has rendered the laptop completely useless. It is a Presario 2700 series. It started shutting down unexpectedly. The shutdowns seemed to be preceeded by the hard drive and cpu fan spinning at very high rates. Soon it got to where it would not boot. I would get the boot screen, then it would BSOD and recycle. Anytime I turn it on the fan and hard drive start spinning full speed. The only time I got it to boot all the way to Windows the hard drive and fan were not spinning. There definately...

Please help with laptop install
Hi everyone, My Toshiba Protege 7020CT finally arrived... woo! :) Here's the situation: I was going to install OBSD 3.6 via FTP, using my wireless PCMCIA Buffalo AirStation CardBus. So I downloaded floppyC36.fs, dd'ed it to a floppy, and all was working well. However, in my dmesg, it shows that OBSD didn't configure my Buffalo AirStation card. It recognises it as a Buffalo, but that's about it. Here's the message: Broadcom, 802.11b Cardbus, 8.0, � (manufacturer 0x0, product 0x0) vendor "Broadcom", unknown product 0x4320 (class network subclas...

Please help Sony Laptop
Have a Sony 13" laptop VGN-S460P / PCG-6G4L that I need to get rid of but first the HD has to be removed. I took out all the screws in the bottom but there is something holding the center of the keyboard. Can't see any screws. Suggestions would be greatfully appreciated including maybe other sites where to get this info. Albert wrote: > Have a Sony 13" laptop VGN-S460P / PCG-6G4L that I need to get rid of > but first the HD has to be removed. I took out all the screws in the > bottom but there is something holding the center of the keyboard. > Can't see any scre...

Need to buy a laptop
I need to buy a laptop. I am a real estate agent and will primarily use this machine for business: accouting software and a couple of spreadsheets, store pix of houses, surf the mls (wirelessly) with my clients... Can anyone recommend a good make/model? I am leaning toward a dell, but only because I don't know anything about laptops. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated... TIA -O "Ovid" <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote in message news:<3fa9276e$0$20930$45beb828@newscene.com>... > I need to buy a laptop. I am a real estate agent and will primarily use...

Help needed, Laptop Keyboard driver
Hi there, I have a ACER 1642WLMi which suffered some software problems which I got rid of by rebuilding it. I downloaded the drivers I required from ACER's website and got the new installation working OK with one exception. Where can I find the correct driver for the keyboard?, the generic Microsoft driver swaps the " and @ keys. I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction please. Stoat. -- Stoatgobbler "Stoatgobbler" <Stoatgobbler@minasmorgul.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:KD7g8hAJWsUHFwGP@minasmorgul.demon.co.uk... > Hi there, &g...

Laptop rental in UK
Hi, I am looking to hire a laptop for a few days in august. I have searched on google nd found a couple of sites. Does anybody have any experience with these companies? www.itrentals.uk.com www.itclear.com www.demand-it.co.uk www.desktop-computer-rentals.co.uk I want a reliable laptop for DVD authoring but don't want to be ripped off. Thanks for responses. ...

laptop with bad memory
Hi, Go a Toshiba A65 Satellite. It's got internal memory and, when you flip it over and remove a plastic plate access to add additional memory. I assume the "internal" ram is hard to access and difficult to replace(?) The memory seems bad. Since there's no added ram I assume it's the "internal" 256meg of ram that's bad. The system is completely non-bootable from HD or a repair CD. So from a USB floppy drive I ran some self-booting RAM testers - and the ram tests bad from start to finish. I've looked at the bios - it seems OK but I'm not sure -...

Problem with starting up laptop, please help!
I have a HP Pavillion zt1155 laptop that I try to turn on where it keeps making a quit soft hushing noise really briefly and decides not to turn on. Does any one know of what this can be or what can be done about it??? Thanks very much in advanced for any response, MC ...

Laptop floppy drive help please...
Hi Guys and Guyesses, I have an old Toshiba 730CDT and I've just acquired a docking station for it. Now, the laptop has a CD but no floppy disk drive but the docking station has space for one and I wondered if I would need to get a specific drive for it or if just any old floppy drive would do. Any thoughts? Cheers, Steve Nobody know? Whereas On 28 Sep 2003 06:50:24 -0700, stephen@lifeofriley.freeserve.co.uk (Steve) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Hi Guys and Guyesses, >I have an old Toshiba 730CDT and I've just acquired a docking station >for it. >Now, the laptop has a CD b...

Please help! Laptop display problem...
I recently bought a secondhand laptop (Hewlett Packard Omnibook 1200). I had to install the operating system which I've done (Windows 98). Everything is fine but. The screen is stuck at 640x480 and 16 colours! What I want to know is, is this a driver problem or a hardware problem? If if is a hardware problem, can it be upgraded and resolved? Any help would be really appreciated. I'm a complete novice with laptops and this is really bugging me. I'm used to a 800x600 and 32 bit True Colour. Thank you. Sounds like you need a video driver. You can download it here: http://welcome...

Uninstalling Keyboard completely- please help me
Hello, Forgive the large paragraph, I cannot use my "Enter" key. I am trying to erase all traces of the keyboard on my computer so I can reinstall the OEM drivers from the application recovery CD. Currently my keyboard is about 50 percent functional (after installing the HP multimedia keyboard patch). I would like to know what, if any registry keys I need to alter after uninstalling the One-Touch keyboard software. Should I remove the keyboard entirely from the device manager in ControlPanel>System ? Should I unplug the keyboard before or after rebooting, or at all for that matter...

Please help, firmware for Hitachi laptop !!
Hello, U I'm trying to upgrade my old laptop but lilnks on Hitachi website are dead. http://www.hitachipc.com/service/pro_elite.html I was sending emails to website administrator but all of them were ignored. Does anyone has firmware upgrade for Hitachi VisionBook Pro 7370 ? (USRobotics internal modem USR2080) Does anyone has perhaps upgrade of BIOS for this laptop ? Robert "Gomez Adams" <rodzina_adamsow@noshit.poczta.gazeta.pl> wrote in message news:dtvj89$lbm$1@inews.gazeta.pl... > Hello, > > U I'm trying to upgrade my old laptop but lilnks on Hitachi ...

IBM T23 laptop help me please
My laptop is stuck on a blank screen. The "Z" with the circle around it on the system status is lit. Does anyone know what this indicates and how to get rid of it. I think it might have something to do with hibernation or sleep, but the sleep indicator is not lit. I dont have a manual and have not been able to find an answer at the IBM website. Thanks <hfxmt@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1107476441.258410.218660@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > My laptop is stuck on a blank screen. The "Z" with the circle around > it on the system status is lit. D...