Help, please. Guitar plus keyboards into laptop

I've been a professional musician playing guitar (jazz-rock area) for
over 20 years, UK-based, and finally getting into the wonders of midi
and synths. I bought a cheapo Casio keyboard for my daughter, and have
been intrigued by the backing tracks available on it for improvising
over. I am seeking answers to two things, and your help would be much
appreciated.

1. Short term. I want to put the Casio CTK-691 (has midi in/out) and
the Yamaha P120 (ditto) plus my electric guitar into my laptop. I'll
need Cubase or similar, and a midi connector for the laptop. I want to
record backing tracks for my students, and also recordings of me
improvising over the backing tracks. I'm not talking CD releases, just
educational and fun stuff, but good quality. Probably guitar-related
software in there too. What should I get?

2. Long term. The 'ready-made' backing tracks which I can manipulate
on the fly with chord changes, tempo changes, drum fill-ins, intros
and endings - I really love these and would like to explore higher-end
stuff than the Casio has to offer. Stuff I could use in gigs. However,
I'm a little too old and a little too scared of all this new-fangled
technology, to spend hours and hours writing these tracks myself. I
like jazz rock and world music instruments/percussion, ambient sounds.
What do you recommend? Would I be better getting a hardware synth (in
which case, which would be the best for 'ready-made' solutions?) or
software synths and VST or DSP plugins for sounds I like? I eventually
want to get one of my guitars synth-ready (probably Roland) and play
along with keyboard synths.

Queen Maggie

0
music766 (1)
5/1/2007 4:21:21 PM
comp.music.midi 3001 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Please look at below link, it is an midi to usb cable and works perfectly on
one of our systems.
http://www.feedback.nl/?id=55&b=EXMIDI1X1

For midi try to use something like "Reason" from Propellerhead
http://www.propellerheads.se/
I'm using it with great pleasure

Guitar can be recorded directly into your laptop (if is has audio-in)
We use line-6 POD for amplifier and effects simulation.
http://www.feedback.nl/?id=55&b=POD2

Best regards
Paul Groen

"Queen Maggie" <music@qmu.ac.uk> schreef in bericht
> I've been a professional musician playing guitar (jazz-rock area) for
> over 20 years, UK-based, and finally getting into the wonders of midi
> and synths. I bought a cheapo Casio keyboard for my daughter, and have
> been intrigued by the backing tracks available on it for improvising
> over. I am seeking answers to two things, and your help would be much
> appreciated.
>
> 1. Short term. I want to put the Casio CTK-691 (has midi in/out) and
> the Yamaha P120 (ditto) plus my electric guitar into my laptop. I'll
> need Cubase or similar, and a midi connector for the laptop. I want to
> record backing tracks for my students, and also recordings of me
> improvising over the backing tracks. I'm not talking CD releases, just
> educational and fun stuff, but good quality. Probably guitar-related
> software in there too. What should I get?
>
> 2. Long term. The 'ready-made' backing tracks which I can manipulate
> on the fly with chord changes, tempo changes, drum fill-ins, intros
> and endings - I really love these and would like to explore higher-end
> stuff than the Casio has to offer. Stuff I could use in gigs. However,
> I'm a little too old and a little too scared of all this new-fangled
> technology, to spend hours and hours writing these tracks myself. I
> like jazz rock and world music instruments/percussion, ambient sounds.
> What do you recommend? Would I be better getting a hardware synth (in
> which case, which would be the best for 'ready-made' solutions?) or
> software synths and VST or DSP plugins for sounds I like? I eventually
> want to get one of my guitars synth-ready (probably Roland) and play
> along with keyboard synths.
>
> Queen Maggie

0
Paul