Help, please. Guitar plus keyboards into laptop

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've been a professional musician playing guitar (jazz-rock area) for
over 20 years, UK-based, and finally getting into the wonders of midi
and synths. I bought a cheapo Casio keyboard for my daughter, and have
been intrigued by the backing tracks available on it for improvising
over. I am seeking answers to two things, and your help would be much
appreciated.

1. Short term. I want to put the Casio CTK-691 (has midi in/out) and
the Yamaha P120 (ditto) plus my electric guitar into my laptop. I'll
need Cubase or similar, and a midi connector for the laptop. I want to
record backing tracks for my students, and also recordings of me
improvising over the backing tracks. I'm not talking CD releases, just
educational and fun stuff, but good quality. Probably guitar-related
software in there too. What should I get?

2. Long term. The 'ready-made' backing tracks which I can manipulate
on the fly with chord changes, tempo changes, drum fill-ins, intros
and endings - I really love these and would like to explore higher-end
stuff than the Casio has to offer. Stuff I could use in gigs. However,
I'm a little too old and a little too scared of all this new-fangled
technology, to spend hours and hours writing these tracks myself. I
like jazz rock and world music instruments/percussion, ambient sounds.
What do you recommend? Would I be better getting a hardware synth (in
which case, which would be the best for 'ready-made' solutions?) or
software synths and VST or DSP plugins for sounds I like? I eventually
want to get one of my guitars synth-ready (probably Roland) and play
along with keyboard synths.

Queen Maggie

0
Reply music766 (1) 5/1/2007 4:21:21 PM

See related articles to this posting

Please look at below link, it is an midi to usb cable and works perfectly on
one of our systems.
http://www.feedback.nl/?id=55&b=EXMIDI1X1

For midi try to use something like "Reason" from Propellerhead
http://www.propellerheads.se/
I'm using it with great pleasure

Guitar can be recorded directly into your laptop (if is has audio-in)
We use line-6 POD for amplifier and effects simulation.
http://www.feedback.nl/?id=55&b=POD2

Best regards
Paul Groen

"Queen Maggie" <music@qmu.ac.uk> schreef in bericht
> I've been a professional musician playing guitar (jazz-rock area) for
> over 20 years, UK-based, and finally getting into the wonders of midi
> and synths. I bought a cheapo Casio keyboard for my daughter, and have
> been intrigued by the backing tracks available on it for improvising
> over. I am seeking answers to two things, and your help would be much
> appreciated.
>
> 1. Short term. I want to put the Casio CTK-691 (has midi in/out) and
> the Yamaha P120 (ditto) plus my electric guitar into my laptop. I'll
> need Cubase or similar, and a midi connector for the laptop. I want to
> record backing tracks for my students, and also recordings of me
> improvising over the backing tracks. I'm not talking CD releases, just
> educational and fun stuff, but good quality. Probably guitar-related
> software in there too. What should I get?
>
> 2. Long term. The 'ready-made' backing tracks which I can manipulate
> on the fly with chord changes, tempo changes, drum fill-ins, intros
> and endings - I really love these and would like to explore higher-end
> stuff than the Casio has to offer. Stuff I could use in gigs. However,
> I'm a little too old and a little too scared of all this new-fangled
> technology, to spend hours and hours writing these tracks myself. I
> like jazz rock and world music instruments/percussion, ambient sounds.
> What do you recommend? Would I be better getting a hardware synth (in
> which case, which would be the best for 'ready-made' solutions?) or
> software synths and VST or DSP plugins for sounds I like? I eventually
> want to get one of my guitars synth-ready (probably Roland) and play
> along with keyboard synths.
>
> Queen Maggie

0
Reply Paul 5/8/2007 11:06:51 AM
comp.music.midi 2976 articles. 23 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

please please please PLEASE help!
Hi, I've asked this question a couple of times before on this forum but no one seems to be nice enough to point me to the right direction or help me out with any information, if possible. Please help me out with this because this is a very serious issue for me and I need to learn more about this. And here it is again: I've been running postgres on my server for over a year now and the tables have become huge. I have 3 tables that have data over 10GB each and these tables are read very very frequently. In fact, heavy searches on these tables are expected every 2 to 3 minutes. T...

[...]

Please help new to laptops... Help
Hi all, Just bought an Evesham A410 Voyager which comes with the AMD Turion MT34 cpu and the ATI mobile X700 graphics card. I would like to play the occasional game of Counter Strike Source when I'm working away but have found it jumpy when I've played. I've checked all settings etc and the system hould be up to a game - I'm guessing its the 512mb of ram. I'm new to laptops etc and need some advice on ram - Do they use pc3200 ddr (SODimm)? Is my notebook capable of running dual channel? what ram do I buy? Thanks in advance. An excellent place to purchase ram is f...

external USB keyboard requires reboot after laptop wakes from suspend or hibernate
Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop) Monitor: ViewSonic P815 (via VGA port) My external USB keyboard stopped working after the laptop wakes from hibernate mode (due to a power outage). The last time this happened, the external USB keyboard worked again after a reboot. Is there a way to get the external USB keyboard to work when laptop wakes from hibernate without a reboot? "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message news:jmn7up$4aq$1@dont-email.me... > Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS > System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop) > Monitor: ViewSoni...

HELP HELP PLEASE HELP
i have written a slighly bastardized version of the class web page which is given as an example of how to use the html tokenizer. What I've written is: def parse(host) dict = { } @body= host.getHTML() if !@body return end theTags = ['select','input'] for x in theTags do tokenizer = HTMLTokenizer.new(@body) while tag = tokenizer.getTag(x) name = tag.attr_hash['name'] type = tag.attr_hash['type'] if name != nil then dict[type]=name ...

Help Help Help
Hi everybody there... I want to develop an application that uses GUIDE and will have two windows figures(figure1 and figure2). In figure1 the user will write down in a text box a string. Then figure1 closes, load figure2 and use that string. Finally, I would like to ask how can I use mouse click event. I would really appreciate any help of you. Thank you in advance.. NM Hi, see examples in the documentation : http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/creating_guis/exampleindex.html J�r�me On Mar 14, 12:38 pm, nm <nmihaili...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi everybody ther...

Re: please please please PLEASE help!
Steve, I'm a little short on PostgreSQL experience, but gaining fast. I'm more o= f an Oracle nut. But I think you've pin pointed the problem, namely disk c= ontention. The easiest solution I can think of would be to stripe the volu= me group across all three drives thereby spreading the pain across the driv= es. One other item I'd look at is creating an index that specifically answ= ers the most frequent queries. Depending on your OS, you could mirror the = data across two of the drives at the OS level, which would also spread the = pain. Another solution, but...

please help... ...me learn C++ please please please :)
Hi Peoples, Can anyone give me any learning materials for learning C++. i.e. can you give me any docs or give me the link to any website that has info on programming in general or C++. (ok I know I could go to a library and read books on C++ but looking for something urgently.) YOUR HELP would be truly appreciated. please help Thanks. KK > Can anyone give me any learning materials for learning C++. This book is generally considered as one of the best book for learning C++ for people with some programming experience: http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/ > i.e. can you give me any d...

please help... ...me learn C++ please please please :)
Hi Peoples, Can anyone give me any learning materials for learning C++. i.e. can you give me any docs or give me the link to any website that has info on programming in general or C++. (ok I know I could go to a library and read books on C++ but looking for something urgently.) YOUR HELP would be truly appreciated. please help Thanks. KK "KK" <kumuthun@notvalidemailaddress.com> schreef in bericht news:3f8bd6d6_1@news.iprimus.com.au... > Can anyone give me any learning materials for learning C++. > > i.e. can you give me any docs or give me the link to any web...

please help... ...me learn C++ please please please :)
Hi Peoples, Can anyone give me any learning materials for learning C++. i.e. can you give me any docs or give me the link to any website that has info on programming in general or C++. (ok I know I could go to a library and read books on C++ but looking for something urgently.) YOUR HELP would be truly appreciated. please help Thanks. KK Hi! > Can anyone give me any learning materials for learning C++. You got the wrong NG. Here, we're speaking about multi-threadings. Post on comp.lang.c++.moderated or something. Regards, Loic. ...

PLEASE HELP Outlook problem PLEASE HELP
I have found many posting of the error occuring but none of them have answered my situation. System Specs: OS: WinXP Pro SP1 (can't install SP2 until updates for CAM software are created) Office: Office 2002 updated (Server running Exchange 2003 Stand.) AV: Norton Corp v8.0 updated Situation: Open Outlook/ create new mail / click the TO: button... system waitings and reports "The remote Procedure call Failed" and Outlook shuts down... I know that there is no virus on this computer many different AV products scans confirms this. Thanks. Audrius Audrius wrote: &...

Help please.. Which Laptop??
Where might i find the best deals on a new machine.. It must have cd-rec/dvd-rom, usb/firewire, decent (loud) head-phone sound, at least 60 gigs HD. One of the biggest problems with the machines i have been looking at is that the sound sucks.. Head-phone volume isn't loud enough... DREW Please e-mail me direct at: ib_drew@yahoo.com I got a Dell Latitude D600 that seems pretty cool. As I am a professional musician and have been for many years I have to warn you of the dangers of piping in loud headphone music. You're asking for a bad case of tinnutis and nerve deafness (which I ha...

[HELP HELP HELP SIMULINK] Please
How can i solve this in simulink??? sqrt((1/pi)*Integral([abs(F(jw;W)*S(jw))]^2,0,Inf,dw)). Or how can i calculate standard deviation of an error signal (e), for band limited references r(t;W)? Thanks ...

Please help with Keyboard
I have a Mac Pro Software Version OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74). With the original keyboard which is new. I had been using a smaller keyboard but have now made room for the larger one. I can not get the three volume keys or eject key to work (top right row). When I have keyboard viewer showing and switch from U.S. to U.S. Extended the keys don't show up on the keyboard layout but the name of the keyboard layout does change at the top in fact thats the only change I see. I have gone through and Restored Defaults for all the Keyboard Shortcuts and reset the Pram. Even tried using Google....

Help Help Help Help Help
please,help us . we have a seious problem, we are designing a radio controlled car that is guided by the PC, to send the data wireless between the PC and the Car and vice versa. we use 2 transmitter/reciever circuits from 2 seperate radio controlled car each running with a different frequency (27 MHz & 40 MHz)and modify the functionality of each to do the disered work. but on mounting a transmitter(40MHz) and reciever(27MHz) on the car, and attach another transmitter(27MHz) and reciever(40MHz) to the PC; we found that on sending signals from the car to the PC on the transmitter & rec...

telnet problem please help Urgent help please
Hi I have an HP9000 server running hpux 10.20. I have a problem where telnet keeps timing out. I am able to make a telnet connection for any time between 5 minutes and a few hours. After a while though they time out. The syslog report a timeout too. REgards Dinesh Chetty Hi > I have an HP9000 server running hpux 10.20. I have a problem where telnet > keeps timing out. I am able to make a telnet connection for any time between > 5 minutes and a few hours. After a while though they time out. The syslog > report a timeout too. Comes the timeout when you are active in the ses...

Please please help me!
Hi, I am using matlab version 6.0.0.88 Release12. I have a problem with the colorbar order. My function like this: x=randn(143,143)/1000; contourf(x),colorbar Ideally, I should have the scale for colorbar with index 10 to the power of -3. However, I could only have the scale from -3 to 3 without power index, unless I use "Edit plot" to change the "label property". Therefore, I wonder how can I permanently enable the "label property" instead of editing it everytime? Thank you. June June Sun wrote: > > > Hi, > I am using matlab version 6.0.0....

Please Please Help!!
WocBSe1QFHLRlEH2Ki+Gl8DIjHmu9wcQ Hi all, Dont know if this is the right place to submit questions. but i need help :( I need to convert this pl/sql function to java function so that i can use it my jsp page. FUNCTION countItem(adminUser IN STRING, m_menu IN NUMBER) RETURN NUMBER IS cno NUMBER := 0; CURSOR cAdminMenu(adminUser VARCHAR2 ) IS SELECT M.menuid,G.pageid,M.description,G.name,G.url FROM useraccess P, pages G, menues M, submenues T WHERE P.userid = adminUser AND T.menuid = M.menuid AND T.pageid = G.pageid AND P.pageid=G.pageid AND G.publicaccess = 'N&...

PLEASE HELP ME ! PLEASE
plese tell me about that program or help me or guide me wat should i do i am very woory about that Q1: Write a program using malloc function. In which you take input from user and allocate memory equal to square of this number. Which multiply numbers and draw a table in the following format? Hint: User enters 3 then program allocates equal to 9 integer memories. Output:1 Enter a single digit number: 2 The multiplication table of 2 is: 1 2 ---------------- 1| 1 2 2| 2 4 Output:2 Enter a single digit number: 4 The multiplication table of 4 is: ...

PLEASE HELP ME ! PLEASE
I HAVE SOME SERIOUS PROBLEM , HOW TO MAKE A PROGRAM IN C Q1: Write a program using malloc function. In which you take input from user and allocate memory equal to square of this number. Which multiply numbers and draw a table in the following format? Hint: User enters 3 then program allocates equal to 9 integer memories. Output:1 Enter a single digit number: 2 The multiplication table of 2 is: 1 2 ---------------- 1| 1 2 2| 2 4 Output:2 Enter a single digit number: 4 The multiplication table of 4 is: 1 2 3 4 ----------------...

Please Please Help!
I would like to fill out a form containing let's say 3 fields and then when i go to the next record. Now the next record would be blank except the last field wich would have the value of that same field from the last record. How can i do that? Some People from the group answered my question,they told me to use VBA but i don't know how! :( Can enyone help me? There is a topic about my problem on this web page http://support.microsoft.com/?id=210236. It says that i have to create a module so i create it with that code in STEP 3 but what then? In STEP 5 it says that i have to change the O...

Help, please, please
Who know that how to run matlab code directly to get a simulink model? I mean I have the matlab code, but I want the simulink model. What can I do? Many thanks!!!!!!!!! you can do: sim('model') The only way to do this is to use Mfile function block of simulink. which allows you to use matlab functions in siumlink regards nitin flo wrote: > > > you can do: sim('model') Sim('model')is used to call the simulink model in matlab code. But I dont have the model right now, I just have the matlab code describing the model. maggie wrote: > flo wrote: > >&...

Help...Please Help !
I have this code, It's working but very slowly, I want to reduce the number of loops but i don't know how! Thanks temps_lest2= []; all_files = dir('2A25*'); data=load('Jimenez_out_horaire.txt'); y= data(:,1); m= data(:,2); day= data(:,3); h= data(:,4); min= data(:,5); niv= data(:,6); val= data(:,7); lat= data(:,8); lon= data(:,9); valh= data(:,10); for J=1:length(all_files); donnees = load(all_files(J).name); annee = donnees(:,1); mois = donnees(:,2); jour = donnees(:,3); n=donnees(:,4); scan=donnees(:,5); heure = donnees(:,6); minute = donnees(:,7); seconde= donnees(:...