Looking for simple, quick, command-line MIDI recorder for linux

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

When I'm fiddling with my keyboard I often come up with little riffs
that I'd like to record, but without the 5 min wait to boot up Cubase
or Rosegarden.  What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that
just lets me type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the
MIDI stream I'm playing into a .mid file.  Anyone know of such a tool?
  It would be fairly easy to write one but I'm sure it must have been
done before.
0
Reply charlesfox357 4/25/2005 10:14:19 AM

See related articles to this posting

On 25 Apr 2005 03:14:19 -0700, charlesfox357@hotmail.com (Charles Fox)
wrote:

>When I'm fiddling with my keyboard I often come up with little riffs
>that I'd like to record, but without the 5 min wait to boot up Cubase
>or Rosegarden.  What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that
>just lets me type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the
>MIDI stream I'm playing into a .mid file.  Anyone know of such a tool?
>  It would be fairly easy to write one but I'm sure it must have been
>done before.

5 minutes?   What are you running on?  A 286?  :-)

Cubase comes up in 7 seconds on my system, from a single mouse click.
I suppose typing a command could be a few seconds quicker.  Is it
worth it?    Especially as you'd have to import the output of your
mini-program into something more useful.

Reply Laurence 4/25/2005 10:20:53 AM

Charles Fox wrote:
> What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that just lets me
> type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the MIDI
> stream I'm playing into a .mid file.

arecordmidi
(should come with any distribution since about one year ago)

HTH
Clemens

0
Reply Clemens 4/25/2005 11:33:24 AM

Thanks -- that's just what I needed.

(I'm running linux with rosegarden here, I mean the total time to load
it, create a directory, create a file, wire up the midi inputs,
record, then save the track.  Only a couple of minutes, but enough to
be annoying if I just want to record a 2 bar keyboard doodle!)
0
Reply charlesfox357 4/26/2005 9:13:09 AM
comp.music.midi 2971 articles. 23 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[Linux] Looking for a quick command line synthesizer for batch converting midi files
Hi, when compositing, I use midge for creating my midi files. When I am done, I spend time on editing the score, etc. but during the composition, I would like some "quick and dirty" tool for checking if everything is OK. I am aware of the timidity/fluidsynth method, but I wonder if there is some command-line synthesizer that could read a midi file and do the job. Remember I don't need high-quality at this stage; maybe some neutral organ sound could be fine. Linux is being used. Regards, -- Kax kax@kax.org wrote: > I am aware of the timidity/fluidsynth method, but I wonder ...

[News] A Look at the State of Enlightenment and GUIless/Command-line-only Linux
Seek Enlightenment for an easy-to-use Linux GUI ,----[ Quote ] | There are numerous reasons to become an Enlightenment user: | | * You need a GUI on an older machine that is not powerful enough to run | the more resource-intensive KDE or GNOME | * You want something a little different | * You want to control users so they only have access to certain | applications | * You want a GUI that is stable, fast, and flexible | | Those reasons may not be show-stoppers, nor will they see IT departments | migrating hundreds or thousands of desktops to Enlightenment, bu...

Getting started with Linux and command line commands
Getting started with Linux and command line commands ---------------------------------------------------- http://www.extremetech.com/computing/128247-getting-started-with-linux-commands Helps the gradual user to gradually get into Linux. Also lots of tips the Burson-Marstelar employees who are bound to struggle with Linux despite their incessant bleating because they don't know their Linux and would dearly love to learn. On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:09:58 +0100, 7 wrote: > Getting started with Linux and command line commands > ---------------------------------------------------- The...

[News] A Quick Look at Sabayon Linux and Linux Mint
Sabayon 3.4 - Through the Looking Glass ,----[ Quote ] | I first tried Sabayon Linux in the 3.2 edition and I was plesantly surprised. | It found my wireless card, worked well with everything on my box, but it had | a few kinks and oddities that they seem to have worked out. `---- http://delusionsofgrandeur.org/index.php/archives/173 Follow-ups and Linux Mint http://www.techworld.nl/idgns/3962/follow-ups-and-linux-mint.html Related: Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4 Revision E [Stable Release] ,----[ Quote ] | Distribution updates: | # Introduced a (teaser) pre-alpha release of the Ent...

does pc linux or ppc linux require command line?
Got tired of command line interface with MS-DOS. Does linus require a lot of command line setup or has it developed to the point where it can be installed and enjoyed without a lot of tinkering with setup screens or command line work? ripi wrote: >Does linus require a lot of command line setup or has it developed to >the point where it can be installed and enjoyed without a lot of >tinkering with setup screens or command line work? Why not download a LiveCD and see for yourself, troll? chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > ripi wrote: ...

Need simple command for validating xml files at the command line
Ok, in order to validate a given xml file against a given xsd file I would like to type at the command prompt something like java -classpath .;\blah\bluh\foo.jar myxmlfile.xml Is there such a jar file which helps me to do this? Unfortunately XercesImpl.jar is not suitable It yields: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: myxmlfile/xml Why? Bernd Bernd Oninger wrote: > Ok, in order to validate a given xml file against a given xsd file I would like to > type at the command prompt something like > > java -classpath .;\blah\bluh\foo.jar myxmlfile...

Command Line Commands And Editor Commands
Hello, I used to use vax/vms for many years. I have just ordered a few books on these commands but would like links to Internet sites that list and explain the ones that I would be using as a programmer at the command line level. Thank you, Christopher Lusardi Chris L wrote: > Hello, > > I used to use vax/vms for many years. > > I have just ordered a few books on these commands but would like > links to Internet sites that list and explain the ones that I would be > using as a programmer at the command line level. > > Thank you, >...

Newbi Question
Hi, This is a newbi question. Can some one please tell me the command line command for launching the file explorer on RH Linux? Thanks, T. On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:18:47 -0600, "L" <L_X2828@yahoo.com> wrote: >This is a newbi question. Can some one please tell me the command line >command for launching the file explorer on RH Linux? First, read this (IMPORTANT!): http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Second - there are so many questions to ask one doesn't know where to start: * What version of Red Hat? 5.x? 6.x? 7.x? 8? 9? Advanced Server...

command line commands
hi i downloaded the apple 2e applewin emulator from http://www.tomcharlesworth.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ and it plays my friend's old .dsk poems admirably well. i'm curious where i might find documentation about what command line commands are available. just typing stuff at the emulator's command line, i see that 'list' will list the .dsk code. what other such commands are available? any documentation on this? long time ago i started out with dos and unix, so i do know some command line stuff, and am a programmer. thanks, ja Jim Andrews wrote: > i&#...

Is there a really simple MIDI recorder?
I'm looking for a super-simple midi recording program. I want to record my piano practice sessions. I already have Sonar and Band-in-a-box which both have the ability to record MIDI. I'm okay with Sonar, but you have to create a project and all this other stuff. So far, I haven't invested the time to learn Band-in-a-box. I'm looking for something like the windows sound recorder or notepad, but for MIDI. If it shows notation, that's great, but not necessary. Just something that lets me record a single track and go back and listen to parts of it. If it had good keyboa...

Gimp Linux Command line
I know this has been asked many times before but every time Imagemagick is suggested. I find imagemagick is very slow on my set up. Gimp seems really fast and thought i could control it via the command line. Is there any documentation on this i have not been able to find it yet. Also would anyone know of a fast linux resize and crop program other then gimp? Those are the only two functions i really need and would like it to support png jpeg pgm files. JR 87325is@gmail.com wrote: > Also would anyone know of a fast linux resize and crop program other > then gimp? Those are the ...

Recording audio from command line
Hi all! Is there a simple tool to record audio from the standard input from the command line (a la "sox" on UNIX machines)? Thanks in advance! Uli -- remove "_at_" from my mail address ...

Simple MIDI stream recorder ?
Hello all, I'm trying to find a way to backup my hardware sequencer on a PC so I need a simple MIDI tool that is capable of: 1) Multitrack recording every channel on different track 2) External MIDI sync 3) Exporting it as standard MIDI file Editing is not necessary, but it would be a welcome feature. I'm looking for freeware or something inexpensive. I know MIDI OX has some logging capabilities but that's not really what I have in mind. Other freeware or inexpensive sequencers I looked at, lack either multitrack MIDI recording or external MIDI sync. Commercial products a...

Linux graphic from command line
This may be the wrong place to ask - if so, I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction. I need to process about three hundred pairs of images a day. These are currently .TIF files, but could no doubnt converted to other format if necessary. Basically, what I need to do is take the two images, say A-1.TIF and A-@.TIF, along with a text string, say "THIS IS PICTURE A" and create with a command line (or short script) a single image file, say A.TIF, with the text string at the bottom. Any ideas? On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:33:52 -0500, Susie Usie wrote: > This may be the wr...

Linux command-line reference
http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/linuxcommand/TLCL/09.12/TLCL-09.12.pdf Note, has an error on page 99. Ctrl-D doesn't replace text, it exits. Use Esc-D (meta-D). -- Velilind's Laws of Experimentation: (1) If reproducibility may be a problem, conduct the test only once. (2) If a straight line fit is required, obtain only two data points. Chris Ahlstrom <admin@cyberbully.com> wrote: > http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/linuxcommand/TLCL/09.12/TLCL-09.12.pdf > Note, has an error on page 99. Ctrl-D doesn't replace text, it exits. > U...

A few quick simple Linux questions...
This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156) --------------enigF33FAEFC453C9D812EB6437C Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello everyone, I'm a beginner/intermediate Linux user and I have a few questions (they might be somewhat n00b): 1. How come I can delete files created by root within my home directory when the permissions shouldn't allow me to do so (permissions = 600, owner = root, group = root)? I'm guessing that its because I have write persmission within my own directory and write permission in a dir...

simple command line parser
Well since getopt() doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows, and the free implementation of it for Windows that I found still had some annoying restrictions, I thought I'd whip up a simple parser myself. Just wanted to see if anyone could provide me with some constructive criticism :) any feedback would be greatly appreciated ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- #include "stdio.h" #include "string.h" #include "stdlib.h" #define MAX_OPTION_ARGS 10 enum optionName { Start, Stop, Remove, Install, Debug, Num...

scripts from Linux command line
Hello, is it possible to start Matlab .m functions from the Linux comand line? Or from outside Matlab? Thanks, Ana -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ana Cristina Costa Aguiar Technical University of Berlin - Telecommunication Networks Group http://www-tkn.ee.tu-berlin.de/~aaguiar/aaguiar.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In <chklgt$rq7$1@mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> Ana Cristina Costa Aguiar <aaguiar@ft.ee.tu-berlin.de> writes: >Hello, >is it possible to start Matlab .m func...

SKILL From the command line in Linux
Hi, I am creating a script that takes my Cadence schematics and turns them into PDFs that can then be inserted into my html-based lab notebooks. That is really neither here nor there, but what I want to do is create a Perl script that would have a line in it like this: system "skill blahblah.il" Except that in Linux, "skill" is reserved. Am I S.O.L? Jake Hi, Try somthing like system("ocean -nograph < \"blahblahblha.il\""). There could be a better way of doing it from virtuoso though. Stefano leddedup wrote: > Hi, > > I am crea...

Looking for some help on a simple command....
(Im a newbie at oracle) I have a field in my database called "gamesplayed" and I would like that to display the total of 'opwin' & 'oplost' automatically. Sort of like adding a formula to a field in excel, but I cant figure out how to do this or if its even possible. example: 'opwin' 9 'oplost' 19 'gamesplayed' 28 (i would like this field to update automatically) I am thinking I just add the command "select sum(opwin+oplost) from gametable;" to 'gamesplayed', but how? Andrew <mooxe@hot...

Quick install from the command line
I have a problem where I am trying to distribute .pdb files to 10 different profiles contained on one computer on a random basis and am trying to find a way to automate the process. This morning when I tried, I thought that if I just paste the file into the c:\program files\palmone\profile\quickinstall\handheld directory that the would get installed. It worked a few times, but now the file just sits there. I don't know what has changed, but I figured it working before was just a fluke. Anyway, now I am trying to find a way to push the files using quickinstall from the comm...

Simple MIDI player/recorder
Hello, all. I've been using the Qtractor MIDI sequencer on Fedora Linux but it has many features I don't require. All I really need is a simple MIDI sequencer that can: 1) Capture a MIDI sequence from the MIDI out on a digital piano and 2) Send a sequence defined in a .mid file to the MIDI in on the digital piano. IOW, I just need a record/play/store capability and nothing more. Standalone boxes that provide this are available from organ manufacturers; I want to do the same with a computer and a USB-to-MIDI interface without all the bells and whistles of a DAW sequ...

application command line with an application specific command line switch. Where to place it???
I am trying to run an application in wine that requires a command line switch. The switch is a simple one, after the exe, you include a -p that specifies the skin name for the application. So, the complete command would look like: wine "c:\Program Files\application \application.exe -p" However, the -p at the end has no effect. This syntax works in windows. If this is not the right syntax or placement of the switch in wine, somebody please let me know. I tried it after the quotes as well to no avail. I also tried it in it's own set of quotes, etc. ...

map command line start of line and end of line
Is there a way to remap the key strokes used for going to the begining or end of a commandline. In other words can I change Ctrl-E with Ctrl-end? this might seem like a silly request but due to a problem/ configuration with my fingers the ctrl-e command is very difficult. I know that keys can be mapped to commands but I haven't a clue if there is a way to specify the start of a command line using "job/ define ...." thank for the help john john coltrane wrote: > Is there a way to remap the key strokes used for going to the begining > or end of a commandline. > In oth...