Looking for simple, quick, command-line MIDI recorder for linux

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

When I'm fiddling with my keyboard I often come up with little riffs
that I'd like to record, but without the 5 min wait to boot up Cubase
or Rosegarden.  What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that
just lets me type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the
MIDI stream I'm playing into a .mid file.  Anyone know of such a tool?
  It would be fairly easy to write one but I'm sure it must have been
done before.
0
Reply charlesfox357 4/25/2005 10:14:19 AM

See related articles to this posting

On 25 Apr 2005 03:14:19 -0700, charlesfox357@hotmail.com (Charles Fox)
wrote:

>When I'm fiddling with my keyboard I often come up with little riffs
>that I'd like to record, but without the 5 min wait to boot up Cubase
>or Rosegarden.  What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that
>just lets me type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the
>MIDI stream I'm playing into a .mid file.  Anyone know of such a tool?
>  It would be fairly easy to write one but I'm sure it must have been
>done before.

5 minutes?   What are you running on?  A 286?  :-)

Cubase comes up in 7 seconds on my system, from a single mouse click.
I suppose typing a command could be a few seconds quicker.  Is it
worth it?    Especially as you'd have to import the output of your
mini-program into something more useful.

Reply Laurence 4/25/2005 10:20:53 AM

Charles Fox wrote:
> What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that just lets me
> type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the MIDI
> stream I'm playing into a .mid file.

arecordmidi
(should come with any distribution since about one year ago)

HTH
Clemens

0
Reply Clemens 4/25/2005 11:33:24 AM

Thanks -- that's just what I needed.

(I'm running linux with rosegarden here, I mean the total time to load
it, create a directory, create a file, wire up the midi inputs,
record, then save the track.  Only a couple of minutes, but enough to
be annoying if I just want to record a 2 bar keyboard doodle!)
0
Reply charlesfox357 4/26/2005 9:13:09 AM
comp.music.midi 2961 articles. 23 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[Linux] Looking for a quick command line synthesizer for batch converting midi files
Hi, when compositing, I use midge for creating my midi files. When I am done, I spend time on editing the score, etc. but during the composition, I would like some "quick and dirty" tool for checking if everything is OK. I am aware of the timidity/fluidsynth method, but I wonder if there is some command-line synthesizer that could read a midi file and do the job. Remember I don't need high-quality at this stage; maybe some neutral organ sound could be fine. Linux is being used. Regards, -- Kax kax@kax.org wrote: > I am aware of the timidity/fluidsynth method, but I wonder ...

[News] A Look at the State of Enlightenment and GUIless/Command-line-only Linux
Seek Enlightenment for an easy-to-use Linux GUI ,----[ Quote ] | There are numerous reasons to become an Enlightenment user: | | * You need a GUI on an older machine that is not powerful enough to run | the more resource-intensive KDE or GNOME | * You want something a little different | * You want to control users so they only have access to certain | applications | * You want a GUI that is stable, fast, and flexible | | Those reasons may not be show-stoppers, nor will they see IT departments | migrating hundreds or thousands of desktops to Enlightenment, bu...

Getting started with Linux and command line commands
Getting started with Linux and command line commands ---------------------------------------------------- http://www.extremetech.com/computing/128247-getting-started-with-linux-commands Helps the gradual user to gradually get into Linux. Also lots of tips the Burson-Marstelar employees who are bound to struggle with Linux despite their incessant bleating because they don't know their Linux and would dearly love to learn. On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:09:58 +0100, 7 wrote: > Getting started with Linux and command line commands > ---------------------------------------------------- The...

[News] A Quick Look at Sabayon Linux and Linux Mint
Sabayon 3.4 - Through the Looking Glass ,----[ Quote ] | I first tried Sabayon Linux in the 3.2 edition and I was plesantly surprised. | It found my wireless card, worked well with everything on my box, but it had | a few kinks and oddities that they seem to have worked out. `---- http://delusionsofgrandeur.org/index.php/archives/173 Follow-ups and Linux Mint http://www.techworld.nl/idgns/3962/follow-ups-and-linux-mint.html Related: Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4 Revision E [Stable Release] ,----[ Quote ] | Distribution updates: | # Introduced a (teaser) pre-alpha release of the Ent...

does pc linux or ppc linux require command line?
Got tired of command line interface with MS-DOS. Does linus require a lot of command line setup or has it developed to the point where it can be installed and enjoyed without a lot of tinkering with setup screens or command line work? ripi wrote: >Does linus require a lot of command line setup or has it developed to >the point where it can be installed and enjoyed without a lot of >tinkering with setup screens or command line work? Why not download a LiveCD and see for yourself, troll? chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > ripi wrote: ...

Need simple command for validating xml files at the command line
Ok, in order to validate a given xml file against a given xsd file I would like to type at the command prompt something like java -classpath .;\blah\bluh\foo.jar myxmlfile.xml Is there such a jar file which helps me to do this? Unfortunately XercesImpl.jar is not suitable It yields: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: myxmlfile/xml Why? Bernd Bernd Oninger wrote: > Ok, in order to validate a given xml file against a given xsd file I would like to > type at the command prompt something like > > java -classpath .;\blah\bluh\foo.jar myxmlfile...

Newbi Question
Hi, This is a newbi question. Can some one please tell me the command line command for launching the file explorer on RH Linux? Thanks, T. On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:18:47 -0600, "L" <L_X2828@yahoo.com> wrote: >This is a newbi question. Can some one please tell me the command line >command for launching the file explorer on RH Linux? First, read this (IMPORTANT!): http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Second - there are so many questions to ask one doesn't know where to start: * What version of Red Hat? 5.x? 6.x? 7.x? 8? 9? Advanced Server...

Is there a really simple MIDI recorder?
I'm looking for a super-simple midi recording program. I want to record my piano practice sessions. I already have Sonar and Band-in-a-box which both have the ability to record MIDI. I'm okay with Sonar, but you have to create a project and all this other stuff. So far, I haven't invested the time to learn Band-in-a-box. I'm looking for something like the windows sound recorder or notepad, but for MIDI. If it shows notation, that's great, but not necessary. Just something that lets me record a single track and go back and listen to parts of it. If it had good keyboa...

Gimp Linux Command line
I know this has been asked many times before but every time Imagemagick is suggested. I find imagemagick is very slow on my set up. Gimp seems really fast and thought i could control it via the command line. Is there any documentation on this i have not been able to find it yet. Also would anyone know of a fast linux resize and crop program other then gimp? Those are the only two functions i really need and would like it to support png jpeg pgm files. JR 87325is@gmail.com wrote: > Also would anyone know of a fast linux resize and crop program other > then gimp? Those are the ...

Recording audio from command line
Hi all! Is there a simple tool to record audio from the standard input from the command line (a la "sox" on UNIX machines)? Thanks in advance! Uli -- remove "_at_" from my mail address ...

Simple MIDI stream recorder ?
Hello all, I'm trying to find a way to backup my hardware sequencer on a PC so I need a simple MIDI tool that is capable of: 1) Multitrack recording every channel on different track 2) External MIDI sync 3) Exporting it as standard MIDI file Editing is not necessary, but it would be a welcome feature. I'm looking for freeware or something inexpensive. I know MIDI OX has some logging capabilities but that's not really what I have in mind. Other freeware or inexpensive sequencers I looked at, lack either multitrack MIDI recording or external MIDI sync. Commercial products a...

Linux graphic from command line
This may be the wrong place to ask - if so, I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction. I need to process about three hundred pairs of images a day. These are currently .TIF files, but could no doubnt converted to other format if necessary. Basically, what I need to do is take the two images, say A-1.TIF and A-@.TIF, along with a text string, say "THIS IS PICTURE A" and create with a command line (or short script) a single image file, say A.TIF, with the text string at the bottom. Any ideas? On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:33:52 -0500, Susie Usie wrote: > This may be the wr...

Linux command-line reference
http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/linuxcommand/TLCL/09.12/TLCL-09.12.pdf Note, has an error on page 99. Ctrl-D doesn't replace text, it exits. Use Esc-D (meta-D). -- Velilind's Laws of Experimentation: (1) If reproducibility may be a problem, conduct the test only once. (2) If a straight line fit is required, obtain only two data points. Chris Ahlstrom <admin@cyberbully.com> wrote: > http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/linuxcommand/TLCL/09.12/TLCL-09.12.pdf > Note, has an error on page 99. Ctrl-D doesn't replace text, it exits. > U...

A few quick simple Linux questions...
This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156) --------------enigF33FAEFC453C9D812EB6437C Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello everyone, I'm a beginner/intermediate Linux user and I have a few questions (they might be somewhat n00b): 1. How come I can delete files created by root within my home directory when the permissions shouldn't allow me to do so (permissions = 600, owner = root, group = root)? I'm guessing that its because I have write persmission within my own directory and write permission in a dir...

simple command line parser
Well since getopt() doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows, and the free implementation of it for Windows that I found still had some annoying restrictions, I thought I'd whip up a simple parser myself. Just wanted to see if anyone could provide me with some constructive criticism :) any feedback would be greatly appreciated ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- #include "stdio.h" #include "string.h" #include "stdlib.h" #define MAX_OPTION_ARGS 10 enum optionName { Start, Stop, Remove, Install, Debug, Num...

scripts from Linux command line
Hello, is it possible to start Matlab .m functions from the Linux comand line? Or from outside Matlab? Thanks, Ana -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ana Cristina Costa Aguiar Technical University of Berlin - Telecommunication Networks Group http://www-tkn.ee.tu-berlin.de/~aaguiar/aaguiar.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In <chklgt$rq7$1@mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> Ana Cristina Costa Aguiar <aaguiar@ft.ee.tu-berlin.de> writes: >Hello, >is it possible to start Matlab .m func...

SKILL From the command line in Linux
Hi, I am creating a script that takes my Cadence schematics and turns them into PDFs that can then be inserted into my html-based lab notebooks. That is really neither here nor there, but what I want to do is create a Perl script that would have a line in it like this: system "skill blahblah.il" Except that in Linux, "skill" is reserved. Am I S.O.L? Jake Hi, Try somthing like system("ocean -nograph < \"blahblahblha.il\""). There could be a better way of doing it from virtuoso though. Stefano leddedup wrote: > Hi, > > I am crea...

Looking for some help on a simple command....
(Im a newbie at oracle) I have a field in my database called "gamesplayed" and I would like that to display the total of 'opwin' & 'oplost' automatically. Sort of like adding a formula to a field in excel, but I cant figure out how to do this or if its even possible. example: 'opwin' 9 'oplost' 19 'gamesplayed' 28 (i would like this field to update automatically) I am thinking I just add the command "select sum(opwin+oplost) from gametable;" to 'gamesplayed', but how? Andrew <mooxe@hot...

Quick install from the command line
I have a problem where I am trying to distribute .pdb files to 10 different profiles contained on one computer on a random basis and am trying to find a way to automate the process. This morning when I tried, I thought that if I just paste the file into the c:\program files\palmone\profile\quickinstall\handheld directory that the would get installed. It worked a few times, but now the file just sits there. I don't know what has changed, but I figured it working before was just a fluke. Anyway, now I am trying to find a way to push the files using quickinstall from the comm...

Simple MIDI player/recorder
Hello, all. I've been using the Qtractor MIDI sequencer on Fedora Linux but it has many features I don't require. All I really need is a simple MIDI sequencer that can: 1) Capture a MIDI sequence from the MIDI out on a digital piano and 2) Send a sequence defined in a .mid file to the MIDI in on the digital piano. IOW, I just need a record/play/store capability and nothing more. Standalone boxes that provide this are available from organ manufacturers; I want to do the same with a computer and a USB-to-MIDI interface without all the bells and whistles of a DAW sequ...

How to automate a command line test on Linux?
Hi, I want to automate the tests that I perform using a simple command line on RedHat Linux. To create test script do I have to use Perl? Also can i use an automated test tool like LoadRunner for performing this kind of test? Your valuable feedback is appreciated. srao srao wrote: > Hi, > I want to automate the tests that I perform using a simple command > line on RedHat Linux. > To create test script do I have to use Perl? No. What tests? > Also can i use an automated test tool like LoadRunner for performing > this kind of test? You still haven't said...

simple question about command line option
Hi, do you guys think it will be a good idea to create a cl_option class to get, store, and output all the command line options? Thanks. "Newsgroup - Ann" <news_ann@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3f316fcc$1_1@rcfnews.cs.umass.edu... > Hi, do you guys think it will be a good idea to create a cl_option class to > get, store, and output all the command line options? Thanks. > > I think the apostole Paul just about summed it up somewhere in the bible... "all things are lawful, but not all things are advantegeous". Do it if you need it, but IMHO, chances a...

linux console command line history
Hi to all, I 'm writing a linux console app with sockets. It's basically a client app that fires commands in a server. For example: $log user 55 $sessions list $server list etc. What i want is, after entering some commands, to press the up arrow key and see the previous commands that i have executed. Any hints? Any examples? Antonis On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM, kaklis@gmail.com <kaklis@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi to all, > I 'm writing a linux console app with sockets. It's basically a client > app that fires commands in a server. > For example: &...

Linux Command-Line / Make puzzle
Somewhat OT, but you're a smart bunch of guys: I'm doing some work on my web site, and trying to automate the process to separate the source of the whitepapers I post from the results (which should be, more and more, a bunch of pdf files). So the way that I've set things up is that I have my "legacy" files in a directory structure that echoes the directory structure of my site, plus (thanks, SVN!) a bunch of hidden files that pertain to my version control system. The hidden files, but none of the desired files, have the string ".svn" somewhere...