Looking for simple, quick, command-line MIDI recorder for linux

When I'm fiddling with my keyboard I often come up with little riffs
that I'd like to record, but without the 5 min wait to boot up Cubase
or Rosegarden.  What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that
just lets me type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the
MIDI stream I'm playing into a .mid file.  Anyone know of such a tool?
  It would be fairly easy to write one but I'm sure it must have been
done before.
0
charlesfox357
4/25/2005 10:14:19 AM
comp.music.midi 2995 articles. 23 followers. Post Follow

On 25 Apr 2005 03:14:19 -0700, charlesfox357@hotmail.com (Charles Fox)
wrote:

>When I'm fiddling with my keyboard I often come up with little riffs
>that I'd like to record, but without the 5 min wait to boot up Cubase
>or Rosegarden.  What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that
>just lets me type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the
>MIDI stream I'm playing into a .mid file.  Anyone know of such a tool?
>  It would be fairly easy to write one but I'm sure it must have been
>done before.

5 minutes?   What are you running on?  A 286?  :-)

Cubase comes up in 7 seconds on my system, from a single mouse click.
I suppose typing a command could be a few seconds quicker.  Is it
worth it?    Especially as you'd have to import the output of your
mini-program into something more useful.

Laurence
4/25/2005 10:20:53 AM
Charles Fox wrote:
> What I'd like is a tiny linux command line tool that just lets me
> type 'midirec' or whatever, and /instantly/ records the MIDI
> stream I'm playing into a .mid file.

arecordmidi
(should come with any distribution since about one year ago)

HTH
Clemens

0
Clemens
4/25/2005 11:33:24 AM
Thanks -- that's just what I needed.

(I'm running linux with rosegarden here, I mean the total time to load
it, create a directory, create a file, wire up the midi inputs,
record, then save the track.  Only a couple of minutes, but enough to
be annoying if I just want to record a 2 bar keyboard doodle!)
0
charlesfox357

Wargame bounderies
A couple of days ago Battlefront announced "DropTeam" which according to the blurb is a "Sci-Fi multiplayer tactical simulation of mechanized ground combat using a new groundbreaking and powerful 3D engine, DropTeam is all about fun, fast and furious tactical action - but not at the expense of realistic physics and a credible combat experience." At first I catalogued this as a non-wargame, not to be included in my list of wargames in development. Then I started thinking (always a bad sign) - wargames have always had what-if scenario's, in essence alternate u...

Looking for a special kind of arrow
Dear All I would like to have something like an "underbracketed_right_arrow". Is is possible? Thank you a lot in advance! Paul Paul Smith wrote: > I would like to have something like an "underbracketed_right_arrow". Is > is possible? The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List shows how to define an \underbracket macro. You can then apply that macro to, say, \longrightarrow. -- Scott >> I would like to have something like an "underbracketed_right_arrow". >> Is is possible? > > > The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List shows how to defi...

command line vs gui
I've had a Unix-using acquaintance tell me that he much preferred command lines over GUI, even when using Windows. For all the advantages of GUI I agree that it's much easier to issue a series of commands in a command line or do something like "copy *.* a:" as well. Can we get the best of both worlds with an interface using charts/fields of text? The only example I can think of is BIOS config (also DOSshell a while ago), obviously it hasn't caught on. Of course you can argue that a fields/charts interface is in fact a GUI, with "true" graphics simply replaced by...

Look at this
www.magicoz.com Hello, what's your link about C++? I think there is a more Cool one: http://winend.com or http://winend.com/s.htm?f=3Dmagicoz Input your name. Very Cool! "new =D0=B4=B5=C0=A3=BA " > www.magicoz.com ...

A simple update query?
I have a column that I need to change. I need to convert from mm to inches. So here is the string I thought would work. UPDATE Plots SET Plots.Width = [width]/25.4, Plots.Height = [height]/25.4 WHERE (((Plots.ID)>68506)); But it says "unknown function" or something to that effect. This must be simple but the answer is eluding me. -mjm michael montagne wrote: > I have a column that I need to change. I need to convert from mm to > inches. So here is the string I thought would work. > > UPDATE Plots SET Plots.Width = [width]/25.4, Plots.Height = [height]/25....

looking for a DB library for block devices
I am looking for a DB library which allows using a block device directly as the data store (index and data both). The basic things I see that would be needed over using a regular file would be recognition (e.g. not refusing to use it because it is a device), and managing the space under device context (e.g. understands that the size is fixed and/or where it can start using data blocks as the data expands). While my need won't exceed 2 gigabytes, I would hope a library exists that can well exceed it (other applications may come along). It will also need to work in a way where a single wr...

Record
Hi, How do I access the head and last from this structure? type LineElem = ^LineElemDesc; LineList = record head, last: LineElem END; LineElemDesc = record Line: INTEGER; next: LineElem; END; var list : LineElem; suppose I wante to create a list new(list); list^.next :=NIL; list^.line := line; I forgot how I access the head and last? I have tried some combination but they didn't work; list^.head; list^.linelist.head; list^.linelist^.head; etc... Hm... You haven't included a variable of the LineList-record type in...

Linux Guru Wanted for Threesome
http://ultra-skin.com/empe31/vp.html ...

Can Win7 do this simple task?
I had to buy this Win7 device, to use my wireless modem. Now it seems that M$loth's basic editors: notebook & wordpad can't do this simple task -- or is it just me? I've got textFiles, which have a "<><><><><><><>" line, followed by about 500 lines of text, followed by the next separator: "<><><><><><><>" line. followed by about 500 lines of text ...etc. I need to extract, to a new file, eg. the 3rd section, between 2nd <separator> and the 3rd <separator>. Firs...

Simple Tank Drain Model in Simulink
I am trying to build a simple tank drain model in Simulink. What should my input be to the integrator (1/s) block? I am trying to plot the liquid level in the tank. So this is what I am integrating. The initial tank height is 10ft, so I put 10 in the integrator block as the initial condition. Once I integrate, I have added a gain block that goes back to the integrator. I put -1 as the gain, since the liquid level is dropping. This really is a simple model, and I really could use your help. Thanks! "Michelle Smith" <smtihmk@stthom.edu> wrote in message news:ih72o5...

Passing command line options to an application with RB 2005 R2 Standard.
Is it possible to pass command line arguments to an application built with RB Standard? I found out that only the Professional version can compile command line programs, but don't know if this limitation extends to starting a program with arguments. I have a simple application that checks for the existance of a file, erases the existing one and then downloads a new copy. This program currently has a specific file to check for and download, which I would like to specify at run time. Since the program runs unattended I can't ask for user input after the initial launch. I&...

Acer to Use GNU/Linux in Small Computers
Edward Neville 15 Kipling Close Thatcham, UK RG18 3AY Tele:+44 (1189) 637300 Email:ed@s5h.net Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info https://www.mixmaster.it ...

Issue with Servant look up in TAO
Hello ... Am working on a multi threaded application using TAO on the server side and jacorb on the ui end. The application creates and returns, to each user connecting to it, a new CORBA reference/ corba object of the same type( this reference is private in the sense that it is not advertised and is returned via a call on some other corba reference/object ). What i am observing is , that when the multiple users invoke a same call on the corba reference that they are holding, more than one user ends up getting the same servant. This we came to know as the application has code which...

Is there a simple complex magnitude algorithm in FPGA implementation?
The FFT result output, implemented in a FPGA, is a complex number with 16-bit real part and 16-bit imaginary part. In the application, I only care about the FFT result magnitude, Mag = sqrt(Re*Re+Im*Im).So I wonder if there is an approximate estimation about this operation. and even more, the decibel algorithm. I think the decibel algorithm can be easily implemented by a looking-up-table scheme, but I still have no idea about simple complex magnitude algorithm. I appreciate your suggestions. Sun Lei. "SunLei" <iamsunlei@gmail.com> wrote in message news:enqq36$voc$1@news...

[News] A Look at Ulteo, Virtual GNU/Linux

Getting dotted line around .GIF image used in <A></A> tag
When I have my black backround for Body and my button is a round .GIF image (actually image has round green button on black backround, whole thing a rectangle), when I click on the button (hyperlink) a white dotted line surrounds the rectangular gif with round button image in the middle. How do I get rid of dotted white line on select of the hyperlink? Fred Z. FredZimmerman@gmail.com wrote: > > when I click on the button (hyperlink) a white > dotted line surrounds the rectangular gif with round button image in > the middle. How do I get rid of dotted white line ...

A Quick Thought about Google Groups
Why can't Sun Microsystems make forums as easy and reliable as Google has done? It's just plain nice to post, answer, and learn in this Solaris Group compared to fighting with Sun Forums, which IMHO, need to be rebuilt from the ground up. They're just so discombobulated & disjointed. Thanks Google & Solaris posters! Cheers, On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:55:57 -0700, ChrisS wrote: > Why can't Sun Microsystems make forums as easy and reliable as Google > has done? It has nothing to do with Google. This is Usenet and it was here long before Google's father had ...

Find the first record, for every day
Hi ! I have a tricky problem, and i can't solve it. I have the following table T1, with the following fields and records: Date_ Status ---------- ------- 2005-12-01 2 2005-12-01 1 2005-12-17 1 2005-12-18 2 2005-12-18 10 I want to generate on output, that gives me the "first" record every day. The output should look like this: Date_ Status ---------- ------- 2005-12-01 2 2005-12-17 1 2005-12-18 2 This appears to be a very simple problem, but i can't find the solution. Can anybody give me a hint ? (I have tried with rownum...

Simple textual calendar
Hello everyone, please, I need your help. I'm a beginner in python and this is probably elemental to you, but represents quote a goggle for me. I'm trying to write out a calendar for a year, in this form (imaginary month below): 2008, February Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 ... et cetera 2008, March ... ... ... (same as above, only for march) (don't know how this will come up in your newsreaders, but you get the general idea). I discovered datetime module, but I'm not sure how to do the actual calendar writeout (formatting). Please, i...

itemize + example + singlespace + verbatim misaligns first line of verbatim.
Here's the minimal example of my specific problem. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% \documentclass[11pt]{book} \usepackage{covington,setspace} \onehalfspacing \begin{document} \chapter{Foo} \begin{itemize} \item Foo foo foo foo. Foo foo foo foo. Foo foo foo foo. Foo foo foo foo. Foo foo foo foo. Foo foo foo foo. Foo foo foo foo. \begin{example} \begin{singlespace} \begin{verbatim} Foo foo foo Foo foo Foo \end{verbatim} \end{singlespace} \end{example} \end{itemize} \end{document} %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% When I run LaTeX on this, the first line of the verbatim text starts sligh...

Is Linux the best in all OS areas?
Can anyone fill in the blanks on this? I am considering buying RHAT or another Linux stock as I think Linux is leading in many OS areas and wondering if this is true. Also, what other stocks are good Linux plays perhaps? LNUX, MDKFF, SUNW, NOVL? Is Linux the best operating system for: Server OS? Yes, RedHat PC user? Yes, Mandrake Tech saavy user? Yes, Gentoo Graphics manipulation OS? Real-time OS? Embedded OS? MPP (loosely coupled) OS? Yes. Beowulf. Massively SMP OS? (How many processors have been run under 1 Linux OS instance?) Gaming OS? PDA OS? Customizeable for performance? ...

Open URl from command prompt
Is it possible to issue a * command from inside a task window that will open a URL in whatever browser has been seen by the filer e.g. * http://www.bbc.co.uk This would then for example open Netsurf and browse the the BBC web site. Regards -- Paul Stewart - Far Bletchley, Milton Keynes, England. (msn:sa110@hotmail.com) Be Bold. Dare To Be Different. Use RISC OS (http://www.riscos.com). It's blue and from outta town - The A9home (http://www.advantage6.co.uk/A9hsplash.html). A9home Compatibility page - (http://www.phawfaux.co.uk/a9home/compatibility.asp). On 28 May 2007 pauls...

Unable to boot from Linux
I'm a linux novice and would like migrate to Linux from Windows 98. But I've never succeeded till date in installing Linux (Redhat Linux 7.0) in my computer. I have a Via C3 processor and a Via Appolo 133 based motherboard. I have a new 40 GB HDD (Primary Master) and a 2 GB HDD (Primary Slave). I had the Windows in the 2 GB hdd and tried loading Linux. I was able to partition the 40 GB HDD and install linux but it wouldn't boot in Linux. I had selected to insall LILO in MBR. I was said by my friend that Load to MBR would work only if I had only one active hdd partition. Ne...

linux 2.6.x NPTL realtime sage thread wakeup
Hi, I'm involved in the jack-audio-kit-development kit (http://jackit.sf.net) and one problem pops up over and over again: Imagine you have two threads, one of the two running SCHED_FIFO with realtime contraints (must not block - ever), the other is running for example SCHED_OTHER. Now the question is: How to signal/wakeup the SCHED_OTHER thread w/o having the SCHED_FIFO thread block. It seems pthread_cond_signal likes to block sometimes. So is there a lockless way on linux 2.6.x kernels to wakeup another thread? Are raw futexes maybe the way to go? Something else? If this...

deconstruction look
I want to take a photo and have half of it look real and then it gradually fades out to a more and more pixel look where only some floating pixels remain on the other half. So the effect is the pixels are coming together to form the photo image. I've seen things like this in some advertising and would like to be able to do this. Any ideas. I've looked on the net for deconstructed actions or even photos and came up short. Thanks ...