Sending midi songs to PC from Yamaha PSR-290 keyboard?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi
We have a Yamaha PSR-290 keyboard, and have just bought a UX16 midi
interface which I naively thought would make it easy to transfer midi
files to and from the keyboard and PC (notably, recording songs played
on the keyboard to memory, and then sending them to the PC for storage.

Yamaha's Songfiler utility seems to make it easy to send midi files
from PC -> keyboard, but not in the other direction AFAICS.
Surely that can't be right?

Anyone using this keyboard managed to solve it?

Thanks
David

0
Reply Lobster 5/3/2005 6:57:25 PM

See related articles to this posting

Lobster wrote:
> Hi
> We have a Yamaha PSR-290 keyboard, and have just bought a UX16 midi
> interface which I naively thought would make it easy to transfer midi
> files to and from the keyboard and PC (notably, recording songs played
> on the keyboard to memory, and then sending them to the PC for storage.
>
> Yamaha's Songfiler utility seems to make it easy to send midi files
> from PC -> keyboard, but not in the other direction AFAICS.
> Surely that can't be right?
>
> Anyone using this keyboard managed to solve it?
>
> Thanks
> David

If you have some kind of sequencing software, you should be able to set
the midi clock to external.  Then you would set up 16 tracks set to
record on channels 1 through 16 respectively.  Lastly, you hit record on
the software, then play on the keyboard.  The software should wait until
you hit play before it actually starts ticking away.
-1
Reply A 5/4/2005 8:08:01 PM
comp.music.midi 2961 articles. 23 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

MIDI keyboard to PC
Hi, I've bought a Roland AX-7 midi kb. I have plugged it into sound card's game port. Now I'd like to know how to get sounds from my keyboard to PC, and mainly 2 things : 1. What configurations I have to do for Windows? 2. What software I need (examples) to get sounds out from keyboard, and what configurations I need to perform with that sw? Thanks, Tommy S. You need a decent sequencer, start with Powertracks from www.pgmusic.com JB "Tommi Syv�nen" <tommi.syvanen@nokia.com> wrote in message news:jtUHb.5382$g4.120839@news2.nokia.com... > Hi, > &...

Keyboard to PC
Hello, I've been banging my head up against the wall with this for weeks now. I've got the DGX 205 Yamaha Keyboard (To PC via USB). As for software? Using Acid Music Studio. Now after finagling with everything and the settings in this program I'm usually able to finally get my PC speakers to play back the synthed instruments I choose on my keyboard. This is all under the assumption that the keyboard is still on. I thought all along that maybe it was the software's limitations. Heck every Sony Acid related Forum I've posted to has not helped in the slightest. Could ...

sending midi commands to a Yamaha sequencer
I'm playing around with an old Yamaha QY-20... I'm having no problems sending commands (from a microcontroller to the midi input) for playing notes and setting which voice to use. I was hoping to be able to trigger the patterns (i.e., drum riffs) through the midi input, but I'm now thinking that it isn't possible. I've spent some time reading the data format document (which isn't particularly clear in its information)... and I'm now thinking that the SysEx commands are only for triggering data dumps. The document is at http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/engli...

MIDI Volume in Yamaha PSR E313
Dear Friends, I connected my Yamaha PSR E313 to my PC through M-Audio MIDI to USB cable. I am able to play music and record MIDI through Ableton Live. But the velocity of each note recorded in Ableton is very low, i.e., 80 . I tried disabling touch response, harmony, reverb etc. in my keyboard, but the velocity is recorded as 80. I tried the same thing in FL Studio 6. Here too, I got low velocity recording for each key pressed in my keyboard. Is there a setting in Yamaha PSR E313 to increase the MIDI velocity for each note (say 120) ? Or, is this something to do with the MIDI cable? Any advi...

can id do this with Yamaha psr-290
I have some midi files of piano (solo) that I want to to trigger live... I play the guitar can I assign a midi file to a key on Yamaha psr-290 and just reach over to trigger the midi file by hitting that key? Thx Marty It depends on your software. A Yamaha PSR won't play a MIDI file directly, but some sequencers have the option of waiting for a note before playing. Of course, that would mean it would play when you hit *any* key. Cakewalk claims to do what you're saying, allowing you to specify which key, but it isn't working for me. Supposedly you tell it 2 keys that are p...

Midi problems with my Yamaha PSR-500
Hi all I have a Yamaha PSR-500 which I want to connect to my computer. However i'm having a nightmare trying to get it to work. I'm having a go using Midi maestro I think its called, and using the keyboard on the screen I can make my keyboard play notes, however I can't play notes on my keyboard and get them to sound through the computer.... Is there anything I have to do to get this to work? I am a midi newbie, I think i've set the channels correctly though..... I'm wondering if my keyboard is broken If i can only receive and not send midi from it ?!? I assume that ...

Help with Yamaha keyboard and PC? Newby!!
Hi folks, I've lurked around here for a bit, but haven't seen anything near what I need. I've also spent loads of time on Google and various forums, but it's all a bit ahead of me. Warning: TOTAL NEWBY! I know about music, and I'm generally OK with computers.... but together ????? I have an old Yamaha PSR-340 keyboard with MIDI in/out and a Vaio laptop. I've got a USB interface cable, and have plugged the In to the Out and the Out to the In, which seems to be the recommended thing .... I'm getting no sound on the computer, and maybe I need a very, very simple ...

Sending MIDI data through Casio keyboard
Hi Everyone, I just purchased some Cakewalk software, got a new sound card (Audigy 2 ZS) and and all ready to start recording some keyboard sounds from my existing Casio CPS-7 piano. Trouble is, I have no idea how to set up my keyboard for sending MIDI data and I've lost the manual. Short of ordering a new manual (which I'm willing to do if all else fails), can anyone guide me in the right direction here? My piano has a "TRANSPOSE/TUNE/MIDI" button, which I gather is used in some strange way to set up the MIDI controls. I think what I have to do is to hold down that ...

PC & MIDI Keyboard
Hello all, I am interested in connecting a Roland C-180 keyboard to the MIDI port of a PC, then play something on the keyboard and have the PC display the stuff I played in a score format, and of course let me hear what I played. I need it in realtime, meaning allowing the PC to "immediately" respond to a keyboard press, without further mouse clicks - I need not record the stuff, just display and play. I need this for a presentation I am to conduct. What I lack is software. Will it be possible to point me to a software that does this thing? Thanks in advance, Max. Hello, Pxam ...

Getting Yamaha PSR keyboard to talk to Finale2003...?
I've recorded a song on my Yamaha PSR (-225) keyboard, and wish to get it into Finale2003. Midi is connected, etc... what now? I fiddled a bit with Hyperscribe and the BulkSend on the kybd, but didn't seem to get them talking to each other, so.... here I am. Thanks! Martin Lacoste -- All Emails Bounce, Ask on list. "Martin Lacoste" <martlaco1@rogers.com> wrote in message news:d497f955.0310240358.503de2ad@posting.google.com... > I've recorded a song on my Yamaha PSR (-225) keyboard, and wish to get > it into Finale2003. Midi is connected, etc... what now? ...

Sending an iTunes song list from a Mac to a PC: How to?
A young friend of mine with a Mac has 160 songs in an iTunes library, and wants to send me a list of them, i.e., title/artist. I myself use a Win98 computer and am not familiar with Mac commands, software, etc. And my Win98 system doesn't allow for iTunes, which requires Win2000 or Windows XP. Can someone please suggest the easiest method of simply sending me an iTunes song list? Am guessing that the list can be attached to e-mail and sent that way, but my friend needs to be informed as to how to do it, step by step. Thanks very much in advance. in article gp9uu0d9guas25sbqe7ho4aieau6j0...

Yamaha Tyros, PSR, CVP and DGX Keyboard Resources
The Unofficial Yamaha Keyboard Resource Site At the site: - 30 Articles and links to: - 50 Discussion Fora - 61 Style Sites - 50 Resource Sites - 100 Software Programs And it is all about Yamaha Tyros, PSR, CVP and DGX keyboards. More at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/index.htm Best wishes J�rgen ...

Sending an iTunes song list from one PC to another: How to?
A young friend of mine with Windows XP has 160 songs in an iTunes library, and wants to send me a list of them, i.e., title/artist. I myself use a Win98 computer, which doesn't allow for iTunes, which requires Win2000 or Windows XP. Can someone please suggest the easiest method of simply sending me an iTunes song list? Am guessing that the list can be attached to e-mail and sent that way, but my friend needs to be informed as to how to do it, step by step. Thanks very much in advance. -fan P.S. If there is a more appropriate newsgroup into which this should be posted, pl...

Utility for using a Yamaha PSR-255 keyboard with softsynths
Hello, The Yamaha PSR-255 keyboard instead of sending Note Off messages, sends Note On with velocity 0. Some soft synths don't understand these messages. I have written a short program to transform Note On velocity 0 in Note Off messages. How to compile: (it is necessary to have installed the asound library and its header files) cc -o psr psr.c -lasound How to use it: I will use bristol as a soft synth example. -start bristol: bristol -seq -start the program: psr -execute aconnect -i example output: client 0: 'System' [type=kernel] 0 ...

[...]

FA: M-Audio Keystation Midi Keyboard Mac/PC
Ends August 6. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3739663743 Thanks, WRon ...

timing accuracy of a Yamaha keyboard's MIDI sequencer
Hi there-- I've written some simple Perl scripts that can analyze midi Note On data to see how closely they match an input template over, say, 8 beats. The idea is to study my timing / consistency as a keyobard player, and see if I can tighten up my timing. Say I'm trying to play straight quarter notes. I will create a template of quarter notes over a single measure. My scirpts will take a MIDI file as input, fit each Note On data to the nearest quarter note, and continue over all the measures until I end up with 4 distributions, one for each quarter note. At each distributio...

Yamaha DGX-205 Keyboard & Linux usb-midi
I have this keyboard which has a USB interface instead of standard MIDI ports. I've used the usb driver under windws and it provides standard midi functionality (works with cakewalk), and also gives access to some flash memory for storing midi/GX files into the keyboards memory. I would like to hook this keyboard up to Linux and send information to it via pmidi/playmidi and/or access the flash memory. I am using and HP Pavillion laptop with Mandrake 10, with a 2.6.7 kernel, patched with the latest stable alsa drivers (1.0.5a). I connect the keyboard and type: modprobe usb-midi, which p...

MIDI-ing up Logic Platinum, QY70 and a Yamaha keyboard.(Mac set-up)
Can anyone give me a straight way of doing this? I shall be using an Edirol UA20 interface which has one in and one out. The QY70 has in and out and the Yamaha keyboard only an out. So I'm puzzled. Could the keyboard go out into the QY70 which goes out into the UA20. But how would I then get MIDI back from my Mac to the QY70? This is driving me nuts, so please help someone. Would I need to use a second interface (which on the Mac cna also go to a serial port)? Patrick. On 13 Jun 2005 08:56:44 -0700, john-tait@tiscali.co.uk wrote: >Can anyone give me a straight way of doing this? I sh...

FA: M-Audio Keystation Midi Keyboard Mac/PC #2
Ends August 6. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3739663743 Thanks, WRon ...

Using a computer synthesizer to record music from my keyboard (Yamaha PSR-510)
I have had a Yamaha PSR-510 for about 10 years. I just went out recently and got a midi cable (joystick port) for the keyboard. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy and am running Windows 98. After reading a tutorial or two, I hooked up the midi cable (in to out on keyboard, etc.). I find that (like in Audigy's sound font or creative keyboard) the computer has the correct sound bank for my keyboard--the instruments match my keyboards. But when I try to record anything from the keyboard (key presses or played songs) to the computer, I get nothing. The drivers seem to be in order, and midi is...

Read non displayable characters from PC keyboard and send it to serial port.
Dear All, I need to read non displayable characters ( Delete key, Left arrow key and&nbsp;Right arrow key) from PC key board using LabVIEW 8.0. These characters won't get displayed, even if I am using String control with '\' Code Display. After reading these characters, need to be sent to RS 232 port. &nbsp; How can I read these characters using LabVIEW 8.0? How to these characters to Serial Port? Please suggest. &nbsp; Regards &nbsp; SajK &nbsp; &nbsp; Thanks for the reply . Presently I am using Hyperterminal for this application. This is used for menu sel...

Trying to use a Yamaha keyboard with an Audiotrak MidiMate USB/MIDI adaptor in Garageband
Hi, I'm trying to use a Yamaha P-120 KB with a Audiotrak MidiMate USB/MIDI adaptor in Garageband but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use the KB with Garageband. A new MIDI input is detected by Garageband when I plug in the MidiMate connected to the KB, but I cannot see where to go from there. MidiMate has zero useful help (it just says create a software instrument and start playing - well that doesn't work!) on this matter and I'll be damned if I can find anything online. TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the prec...