Sending midi songs to PC from Yamaha PSR-290 keyboard?

Hi
We have a Yamaha PSR-290 keyboard, and have just bought a UX16 midi
interface which I naively thought would make it easy to transfer midi
files to and from the keyboard and PC (notably, recording songs played
on the keyboard to memory, and then sending them to the PC for storage.

Yamaha's Songfiler utility seems to make it easy to send midi files
from PC -> keyboard, but not in the other direction AFAICS.
Surely that can't be right?

Anyone using this keyboard managed to solve it?

Thanks
David

0
Lobster
5/3/2005 6:57:25 PM
comp.music.midi 3002 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Lobster wrote:
> Hi
> We have a Yamaha PSR-290 keyboard, and have just bought a UX16 midi
> interface which I naively thought would make it easy to transfer midi
> files to and from the keyboard and PC (notably, recording songs played
> on the keyboard to memory, and then sending them to the PC for storage.
>
> Yamaha's Songfiler utility seems to make it easy to send midi files
> from PC -> keyboard, but not in the other direction AFAICS.
> Surely that can't be right?
>
> Anyone using this keyboard managed to solve it?
>
> Thanks
> David

If you have some kind of sequencing software, you should be able to set
the midi clock to external.  Then you would set up 16 tracks set to
record on channels 1 through 16 respectively.  Lastly, you hit record on
the software, then play on the keyboard.  The software should wait until
you hit play before it actually starts ticking away.
-1