sf2 vs expander?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello and a Happy New Year!

Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
better way out.

So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.

So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
512+ MB...)

Thomas

0
Reply Thomas 1/1/2004 7:36:41 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Thomas Blankenstein" <Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello and a Happy New Year!
>
> Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
> came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
> after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
> there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
> for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
> better way out.
>
> So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
> that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
> chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
> offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.
>
> So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
> soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?
>
> BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
> will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
> sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
> half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
> on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
> 512+ MB...)
>
> Thomas

Thomas

Hi I use quite a few soundfonts myself and I suppose the value of any font
is critically realted to how well it will do the job at hand both sonically
and dynamically.

My own experience is that soundfonts of musical instruments rarely capture
the full expression available with the origional hardware. e.g. some of the
Proteus 200 pianos.

However I for one dont often use all the expression on tap so in some cases
a soundfont will sound perfect.

I have listened in particular to sound fonts derived from the Proteus 2000
piano range and my opinion is they sound less impressive and after less
flexible artistically than the origional but only just. If I didnt have a
Proteus already I would use them.

BEst N10

Hope this helps

0
Reply N10 1/1/2004 10:56:44 PM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:36:41 +0100, Thomas Blankenstein
<Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote:

>Hello and a Happy New Year!
>
>Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
>came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
>after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
>there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
>for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
>better way out.
>
>So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
>that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
>chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
>offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.
>
>So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
>soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

  The machine is the hardware which plays the samples on the sample
CD.  Often, soundfonts are sampled from great hardware synths.  But
samples alone aren't the entire story -- the sampler used to play them
makes a difference in how they sound, and what
effects/controls/changes you can apply to them.

  The other part of hardware expanders is that they are external
boxes, easier to use in many ways on stage and even in the studio.
They do their things well, without tying up the PC.  If you need to
play many sounds at once, a single PC is going to hit limitations.
Hardware is always a nice option for expansion, cheaper than adding
several PCs to run many software synths.

  Plus the engines are often superior to those in common softsynths,
barring a lot of CPU power used to drive them.  A very fast PC with
the right sound card can do a *lot* well, but you can easily tie up
the entire system generating one sound.  A hardware synth, OTOH, does
its stuff without using the PC at all.

>BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
>will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
>sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
>half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
>on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
>512+ MB...)

  Any of the software soundfont using synths can use much more memory.
Oh, and Win98 isn't going to work easily, no good WDM support so no
good use of live DXi synths, but you probably already know that.  ASIO
(VSTi) should work OK.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
Reply Jeffery 1/2/2004 4:05:26 PM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:36:41 +0100, Thomas Blankenstein
<Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote:

>So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
>soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

It is quite likely that the soundfont CD just uses the raw sample data
from the Proteus, or perhaps has just sampled and looped the output of
the standard presets of the Proteus.  The real difference is that the
hardware has additonal sonic shaping circuits that your soundfont
player is unlikely to have, such as the excellent array of filters
available on the Proteus.  It is these that give real character and
depth to a sound.   Additionally, if the CD has sampled the output of
a Proteus, it is impossible that it could come close to replicating
it, unless the maker of the CD multi-sampled the instrument (more than
one sample covering the entire keyboard range pitch-wise and
velocity-wise).

In short, the soundfont CD is likely to be a pale imitation of the
real thing, just as it would be for any instrument.
0
Reply Noel 1/5/2004 7:27:02 AM
comp.music.midi 2968 articles. 23 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

select VS inherit expanded
Hi To be short, I don't understand in what way the "inherit expanded" feature solves the classical diamond inheritance scheme : ==> class A ... end class B inherit A ... end class C inherit A ... end class D inherit B, inherit C ... end <== as it may be sometimes *useful* for D to conforms to A, B and C altogether (consider for example STREAM, INPUT_STREAM, OUTPUT_STREAM and INPUT_OUTPUT_STREAM). The "inherit expanded" syntax forces D not to conform to B or C, whereas the problem for D in when it has to conform to A (what path should we use ?). It see...

g@addto@macro vs. expanding after \def
Hello, Last time I checked, \g@addto@macro used token registers to do its job, which seems a little complicated. I don't live and breathe TeX enough to know why you'd want to do that instead of: \def\my@addto@macro#1#2{\expandafter\gdef \expandafter#1\expandafter{#1#2}} One of the changes made to this macro was "Use toks register to avoid `hash' problem" but I don't understand this. Any hints? Thanks, Will Will Robertson <wspr81@gmail.com> writes: > Last time I checked, \g@addto@macro used token registers to do its > job, which seems a little comp...

LVM Expand vs. delete, combine partitions
I have a spare partition (previously occupied by a now unneeded Linux partition) that I want to combine with another partition (JFS formatted). LVM has an option to expand an existing JFS partition which I could use. Obviously, LVM's expand will obviate the need to backup, then restore the existing partition, a major time-saver. I'm curious, though, if there's any drawbacks to expanding a JFS partition, compared to deleting both partitions, then combining them. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ A committ...

importing module (i.e. expand time vs run time, again)
The mega-thread on phase separations made me think about the issue of expand time versus run time, again. Since that thread is gigantic and since now I have a very specific question I thought I will post it here. I performed the following experiment in Ikarus Scheme: I have defined a library: $ cat mylib.sls (library (mylib) (export a) (import (rnrs)) (define a 42) (display "hello!\n")) Then, I have imported it a the REPL: $ ikarus Ikarus Scheme version 0.0.3+ (revision 1654, build 2008-10-30) Copyright (c) 2006-2008 Abdulaziz Ghuloum > (import (mylib)) > At this moment no...

[Info-Ingres] not in vs outer join syntax as a table expands
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01CA144B.58D06C01 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, =20 We have many programs which use the old style 'not in' queries:. Eg. select count(*) from progres where attended_fup1 is not null and participant_id not in ( select participant_id from fup where fup_num=3D1); =20 In some cases some of these queries have been re-written using the more modern outer join syntax. ie. select count(*) from progres p ...

Expanding and collapsing information in a dialog, wxMSW vs. wxLIN, wxMAC
Hi! [wxW 2.6.2] I want to expand and collapse a dialog according to information that is added/removed when the user presses a button - via wxSizer::Detach(), deleting the panel that was added to it and wxDialog::Fit(). This should serve as some kind of help/description about what can be done in that dialog (Yes, I'm aware of tooltips and F1-help...). The source-code is attached below. When I run ModalDialog TheDialog(this, ID_MODALDLG); TheDialog.ShowModal(); from a simple wxMSW application, everything is fine and the dialog resizes happily as text appears and va...

Using mandatory libraries (custom class loading vs. expanding libraries)
Hi all!I was wondering what would be the "best" approach to achieve classloading flexibility in the case ofa) Running the application/applet via the local class files from thedevelopment treeb) Running the application/applet via a *single* JAR file?First have a look at the dev tree<root> +- bin +- images +- lang +- lib | +- bcel.jar | +- forms.jar | +- ... +- src |- ....Considering the cases:a) When launching from local classes in dev tree, all ./lib/*.jarfiles can be put on the classpath. Class loading can be performed bythe system class loader (d...

Phase Vocoder vs. TDHS for "Time Stretching / Expanding / Compressing"
In general, wondering which is generally easier to implement, or if they are about equal. This way can focus studies:) ****For info on why this is posted::****** I am NOT a pro DSP person - have been into audio/music for awhile, and am still green to programming.(JAVA) For my 1st program to really "use" - plan to integrate a "Time Shifter/Exander/Compressor" (whatever term is proper) Go here for examples: http://www.dspdimension.com/html/timepitch.html#audiocomp If you have WinXP and you have Windows Media Player 9+ then you can see an example of such a simple compon...

To expand or not to expand
Recently, I started rewriting a style file I've been using for some time and tried to fix its major flaw (at last). The point of the file is providing markup for 'inline' quotations via both command sequences and active characters. My problem is that I just can't seem to get the expansion of active characters right and so I'm soliciting your comments. Here is a much abriged version: ,----[ quot-minimal.sty ] | \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e} | \ProvidesPackage{quot-minimal} | \newcommand*{\quote@open}{% | \ifx\protect\@typeset@protect | % lots of other stuff | \textquo...

WHAT vs HOW vs WHERE
In the ongoing discussion here about alternatives to the RM, the subject of pointers keeps coming up. AFAIK, one of the features of the RM is that the interconnectedness of data is established by common data values, instead of pointers. In my view, pointers are "good things" not "bad things". But there are plenty of "good things" that will harm you if you don't use them right. One of the ways a network or graph data base achieves performance is by the efficient use of pointers, and the strategic preplacement of pointers where they will be need...

ex vs. em vs. px vs. % vs. in.
Hello All, I am looking for a for a good tutorial on font size definitions in a CSS. A URL to a good tutorial with demo/example will help. I am trying to create a CSS for DocBook XML Document, but I m unable to get a cross browser/platform compatibility. I want the documents to look fairly similar on all platforms/browsers. Here is my CSS -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/new.css And here are 2 plaint text documents using that CSS: http://tinyurl.com/yu3j8 http://tinyurl.com/2zwoh More documents here -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88 I was told that I should always use...

JSP vs. Struts vs. JSF vs. Swing vs. Tapestry vs. Spring vs. Rails
I am a JSP developer and am constantly feeling like I am missing the boat by not using any of the other frameworks out there. However, the couple I have looked at (JSF and Rails) don't impress me. In JSP, I keep all of my logic in Servlets/Beans and all of my presentation in the JSP file, making custom tags when I need to do some HTML that involves some logic. So Servlets and Tags are the glue to the JSPs and Beans. I don't see what is wrong with this model. The biggest advantage is its flexible. An example of my frustation with JSF (which is different than all the other complaints...

Magic vs MiNT vs Gevena vs TOS vs...
Hi all, I'm starting this thread for 2 reasons: a) I'm a bit tired of reading the same subject again and again and decided to give it a little twist, b) Personal need. So, without any further ado, my situation is this: I have a stock STE with 4 Megs of memory, in which I'll be adding a hard drive (and maybe more) in this week. Being a floppy user (Atari-wise) all these years I never thought of having any other OSes than plain old TOS, but now, since I'll be getting some more space, I thought I might as well throw in a desktop/accs/resident progs setup there as well...

PowerPC vs. TI DSP vs. IA32 vs. MIPS vs. H8 ...
Hi All, I need to select a platform for a control project. I need suggestions from your guys. Here is the some requirements for the project: 1) Programming in c 2) Two channels of AD > 12bit 3) Two or more quadrature decoders (single ended) 4) > 1 channel of PWM output 5) floating point performance ~ 500MHZ P3 6) Small, reliable and takes only 12V power supply 7) ~32MB DRAM (I really don't know how much my program will require, how to estimate this?) 8) ~32MB FLASH prefer also a VGA display for a color flat panel display. Multimedia Card (or compact flash) interface. Thanks in ad...

fastcgi vs mod perl vs apache vs lighttpd vs perlbal
what is fastest combo folks? >>>>> "g" == gavino <gavcomedy@gmail.com> writes: g> what is fastest combo folks? (no doubt referring to this:) Subject: Re: fastcgi vs mod perl vs apache vs lighttpd vs perlbal It depends on your configuration and what you're doing. Performance for all of them is configuration-dependent: an installation of any of them, tuned to suit your application's specific performance needs, them will most likely perform better an untuned installation of any of the others. (Did you finally get tired of trolling comp.lang...

vi vs. vim vs. emacs vs. ????
I've decided to step back from the IDE and start learning/re-learning Java without the aid of Eclipse or Netbeans. I want to learn about packages and such without having an IDE do all the work for me. So my question is, what's the best editor on a *nix platform? I am somewhat familiar with vi and emacs so I'm trying vim out as my Java editor. Are the others that are better or is a vi* editor a good choice. Not flame bait..just looking for some honest opinions. On Jun 16, 10:54 am, JT <jtlinux1@yaho#Akd9i30.ca> wrote: > I've decided to step back from the IDE a...

Comparisons of TeX vs Groff vs SGML vs DocBook vs TeXinfo
Well, I've had fun with Tex and LaTeX for a while now, but I'd like to know how well the alternatives work, and weather or not I should use these alternatives that are listed usually with TeX. What are your opinions on them, and surely, some must do a job better than the rest (Something must do pictures and tables better) and I probably will use the best one for the specific jobs that may come up in the future. Basically, I'm just asking for a list of strengths and weaknesses that each of these typesetters or document language things have. Thanks Percival Percival Tiglao wrote:...

Qedit vs CodeWright vs Whisper vs ?
I've been a fond fan of Qedit(host) for many years now; already knowing this editor leads me to stay with it when looking for a good client/server editor. But I admit I've also had my head in the sand for years, happily grinding away at my Cobol/Image code, getting real work done, going home tired. Meanwhile, the world's grown up without me. Would you fine folks be so kind as to share your experiences with C/S editors? I know I'll still be working on good old HP3000 Cobol, but now I'm getting into the Unix world, and will probably appreciate having something l...

comparision Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI
Hi, Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other: Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI? Thanks, Derek On 4 Nov 2005 20:53:09 -0800, "derek" <derek_t_9953@yahoo.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other: > >Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI? > You can compare them. They each have their niche so they are not direct competitors.. CORBA's forte is interlanguage communication -- ty...

Asus vs Toshiba vs IBM vs MSI
Hi I'm looking to possibly buy a laptop around August this year. How would Asus, Toshiba, IBM and MSI compare with reliability, warranty and customer service/technical support? I've read about Toshiba and IBM changing ownership of parts of their companies. How has this affected things? I'd also appreciate any recomendations for other brands for Windows laptops. I'm also thinking of dual booting with Linux (probably Ubuntu) I'm a part time IT student and I'm trying to start up a business using php and Java so I'm looking for a good brand. I'm in Melbourn...

ASSOC vs SHMMAP vs POINT_LUNs vs READ_BINARY?
I have a large multidimensional array. I want to sort it, without doubling the memory requirement by making a same-size array and copying data over, sections at a time. I hear about: - ASSOC? But the raw data is not in large consecutive chunks. Does this preclude its use? - SHMMAP? Seems very low-level and risky without experience. - READU and lots of POINT_LUNs? Would this execute slowly? - READ_BINARY with the TEMPLATE keyword? I should like to hard-code the template rather than use the BINARY_TEMPLATE GUI. I suppose this is possible? I am guessing that READ_BINARY with TE...

ScreamerNet vs. TequilaScream vs. Amleto vs. Spider?
I would like opinions from those who have used third-party Windows network rendering packages for Lightwave (versus the supplied ScreamerNet). Specifically, I'm looking for the pros and cons of using TequilaScream, Amleto, Spider, etc. Best Regards, Washington Bob "Washington Bob" <washington_bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5403d5d.0401161757.18a6648b@posting.google.com... > I would like opinions from those who have used third-party Windows > network rendering packages for Lightwave (versus the supplied > ScreamerNet). > > Specifically, I'm loo...

C++ vs Java vs OCaml vs SML
I have written a web page comparing the verbosity and speed of four different (progressively optimised) mini ray tracers written in C++, Java, OCaml and SML: http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ray_tracer/languages.html Essentially, the results indicate that Java is extremely slow (5x slower than the fastest implementation) and extremely verbose, OCaml is extremely concise (only 60 lines of code for the minimal implementation of the ray tracer) and Mlton-compiled SML is extremely fast (much faster than the other three languages). -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy http://www.ffco...

Forth Vs Clean Vs J vs Lisp
Dear Friends of Forth, I have just found Forth and am excited about it. But i need to clarify its benefits in pc programming rather than using c, c++ or Java or a scripting language. Then there is speed of execution. Seems Forth is like Lisp in that it can be used to write or extend one's own language because you can build up your own definitions. Lisp is powerful and expressive and fast prototyping like Forth but usually slow. Forth can go down further to lower level programming - powerful. But is the speed one gets without heavy tweaking better than most other languages? Interpreted For...