sf2 vs expander?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello and a Happy New Year!

Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
better way out.

So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.

So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
512+ MB...)

Thomas

0
Reply Thomas 1/1/2004 7:36:41 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Thomas Blankenstein" <Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello and a Happy New Year!
>
> Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
> came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
> after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
> there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
> for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
> better way out.
>
> So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
> that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
> chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
> offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.
>
> So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
> soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?
>
> BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
> will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
> sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
> half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
> on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
> 512+ MB...)
>
> Thomas

Thomas

Hi I use quite a few soundfonts myself and I suppose the value of any font
is critically realted to how well it will do the job at hand both sonically
and dynamically.

My own experience is that soundfonts of musical instruments rarely capture
the full expression available with the origional hardware. e.g. some of the
Proteus 200 pianos.

However I for one dont often use all the expression on tap so in some cases
a soundfont will sound perfect.

I have listened in particular to sound fonts derived from the Proteus 2000
piano range and my opinion is they sound less impressive and after less
flexible artistically than the origional but only just. If I didnt have a
Proteus already I would use them.

BEst N10

Hope this helps

0
Reply N10 1/1/2004 10:56:44 PM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:36:41 +0100, Thomas Blankenstein
<Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote:

>Hello and a Happy New Year!
>
>Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
>came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
>after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
>there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
>for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
>better way out.
>
>So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
>that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
>chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
>offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.
>
>So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
>soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

  The machine is the hardware which plays the samples on the sample
CD.  Often, soundfonts are sampled from great hardware synths.  But
samples alone aren't the entire story -- the sampler used to play them
makes a difference in how they sound, and what
effects/controls/changes you can apply to them.

  The other part of hardware expanders is that they are external
boxes, easier to use in many ways on stage and even in the studio.
They do their things well, without tying up the PC.  If you need to
play many sounds at once, a single PC is going to hit limitations.
Hardware is always a nice option for expansion, cheaper than adding
several PCs to run many software synths.

  Plus the engines are often superior to those in common softsynths,
barring a lot of CPU power used to drive them.  A very fast PC with
the right sound card can do a *lot* well, but you can easily tie up
the entire system generating one sound.  A hardware synth, OTOH, does
its stuff without using the PC at all.

>BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
>will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
>sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
>half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
>on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
>512+ MB...)

  Any of the software soundfont using synths can use much more memory.
Oh, and Win98 isn't going to work easily, no good WDM support so no
good use of live DXi synths, but you probably already know that.  ASIO
(VSTi) should work OK.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
Reply Jeffery 1/2/2004 4:05:26 PM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:36:41 +0100, Thomas Blankenstein
<Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote:

>So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
>soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

It is quite likely that the soundfont CD just uses the raw sample data
from the Proteus, or perhaps has just sampled and looped the output of
the standard presets of the Proteus.  The real difference is that the
hardware has additonal sonic shaping circuits that your soundfont
player is unlikely to have, such as the excellent array of filters
available on the Proteus.  It is these that give real character and
depth to a sound.   Additionally, if the CD has sampled the output of
a Proteus, it is impossible that it could come close to replicating
it, unless the maker of the CD multi-sampled the instrument (more than
one sample covering the entire keyboard range pitch-wise and
velocity-wise).

In short, the soundfont CD is likely to be a pale imitation of the
real thing, just as it would be for any instrument.
0
Reply Noel 1/5/2004 7:27:02 AM
comp.music.midi 2971 articles. 23 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

To expand or not to expand
Recently, I started rewriting a style file I've been using for some time and tried to fix its major flaw (at last). The point of the file is providing markup for 'inline' quotations via both command sequences and active characters. My problem is that I just can't seem to get the expansion of active characters right and so I'm soliciting your comments. Here is a much abriged version: ,----[ quot-minimal.sty ] | \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e} | \ProvidesPackage{quot-minimal} | \newcommand*{\quote@open}{% | \ifx\protect\@typeset@protect | % lots of other stuff | \textquo...

WHAT vs HOW vs WHERE
In the ongoing discussion here about alternatives to the RM, the subject of pointers keeps coming up. AFAIK, one of the features of the RM is that the interconnectedness of data is established by common data values, instead of pointers. In my view, pointers are "good things" not "bad things". But there are plenty of "good things" that will harm you if you don't use them right. One of the ways a network or graph data base achieves performance is by the efficient use of pointers, and the strategic preplacement of pointers where they will be need...

ex vs. em vs. px vs. % vs. in.
Hello All, I am looking for a for a good tutorial on font size definitions in a CSS. A URL to a good tutorial with demo/example will help. I am trying to create a CSS for DocBook XML Document, but I m unable to get a cross browser/platform compatibility. I want the documents to look fairly similar on all platforms/browsers. Here is my CSS -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/new.css And here are 2 plaint text documents using that CSS: http://tinyurl.com/yu3j8 http://tinyurl.com/2zwoh More documents here -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88 I was told that I should always use...

JSP vs. Struts vs. JSF vs. Swing vs. Tapestry vs. Spring vs. Rails
I am a JSP developer and am constantly feeling like I am missing the boat by not using any of the other frameworks out there. However, the couple I have looked at (JSF and Rails) don't impress me. In JSP, I keep all of my logic in Servlets/Beans and all of my presentation in the JSP file, making custom tags when I need to do some HTML that involves some logic. So Servlets and Tags are the glue to the JSPs and Beans. I don't see what is wrong with this model. The biggest advantage is its flexible. An example of my frustation with JSF (which is different than all the other complaints...

Magic vs MiNT vs Gevena vs TOS vs...
Hi all, I'm starting this thread for 2 reasons: a) I'm a bit tired of reading the same subject again and again and decided to give it a little twist, b) Personal need. So, without any further ado, my situation is this: I have a stock STE with 4 Megs of memory, in which I'll be adding a hard drive (and maybe more) in this week. Being a floppy user (Atari-wise) all these years I never thought of having any other OSes than plain old TOS, but now, since I'll be getting some more space, I thought I might as well throw in a desktop/accs/resident progs setup there as well...

PowerPC vs. TI DSP vs. IA32 vs. MIPS vs. H8 ...
Hi All, I need to select a platform for a control project. I need suggestions from your guys. Here is the some requirements for the project: 1) Programming in c 2) Two channels of AD > 12bit 3) Two or more quadrature decoders (single ended) 4) > 1 channel of PWM output 5) floating point performance ~ 500MHZ P3 6) Small, reliable and takes only 12V power supply 7) ~32MB DRAM (I really don't know how much my program will require, how to estimate this?) 8) ~32MB FLASH prefer also a VGA display for a color flat panel display. Multimedia Card (or compact flash) interface. Thanks in ad...

fastcgi vs mod perl vs apache vs lighttpd vs perlbal
what is fastest combo folks? >>>>> "g" == gavino <gavcomedy@gmail.com> writes: g> what is fastest combo folks? (no doubt referring to this:) Subject: Re: fastcgi vs mod perl vs apache vs lighttpd vs perlbal It depends on your configuration and what you're doing. Performance for all of them is configuration-dependent: an installation of any of them, tuned to suit your application's specific performance needs, them will most likely perform better an untuned installation of any of the others. (Did you finally get tired of trolling comp.lang...

vi vs. vim vs. emacs vs. ????
I've decided to step back from the IDE and start learning/re-learning Java without the aid of Eclipse or Netbeans. I want to learn about packages and such without having an IDE do all the work for me. So my question is, what's the best editor on a *nix platform? I am somewhat familiar with vi and emacs so I'm trying vim out as my Java editor. Are the others that are better or is a vi* editor a good choice. Not flame bait..just looking for some honest opinions. On Jun 16, 10:54 am, JT <jtlinux1@yaho#Akd9i30.ca> wrote: > I've decided to step back from the IDE a...

Comparisons of TeX vs Groff vs SGML vs DocBook vs TeXinfo
Well, I've had fun with Tex and LaTeX for a while now, but I'd like to know how well the alternatives work, and weather or not I should use these alternatives that are listed usually with TeX. What are your opinions on them, and surely, some must do a job better than the rest (Something must do pictures and tables better) and I probably will use the best one for the specific jobs that may come up in the future. Basically, I'm just asking for a list of strengths and weaknesses that each of these typesetters or document language things have. Thanks Percival Percival Tiglao wrote:...

Qedit vs CodeWright vs Whisper vs ?
I've been a fond fan of Qedit(host) for many years now; already knowing this editor leads me to stay with it when looking for a good client/server editor. But I admit I've also had my head in the sand for years, happily grinding away at my Cobol/Image code, getting real work done, going home tired. Meanwhile, the world's grown up without me. Would you fine folks be so kind as to share your experiences with C/S editors? I know I'll still be working on good old HP3000 Cobol, but now I'm getting into the Unix world, and will probably appreciate having something l...

comparision Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI
Hi, Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other: Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI? Thanks, Derek On 4 Nov 2005 20:53:09 -0800, "derek" <derek_t_9953@yahoo.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other: > >Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI? > You can compare them. They each have their niche so they are not direct competitors.. CORBA's forte is interlanguage communication -- ty...

Websh vs Rivet vs AOLServer vs PHP
Until now, I've always used PHP for web development. I would like to try Tcl out, but there are so many options. I read that Websh works in Apache 1.3 and 2.0, but Rivet (according to http://tcl.apache.org/) only works with Apache 1.3. As far as I can understand, these both implement different APIs. Then there's AOLServer, which implements yet a third API. What are the relative merits of each of these packages? Specifically, are any of them particularly light-weight? As in lighter than PHP? More importantly, are any of these packages likely to be updated much? It seems li...

Asus vs Toshiba vs IBM vs MSI
Hi I'm looking to possibly buy a laptop around August this year. How would Asus, Toshiba, IBM and MSI compare with reliability, warranty and customer service/technical support? I've read about Toshiba and IBM changing ownership of parts of their companies. How has this affected things? I'd also appreciate any recomendations for other brands for Windows laptops. I'm also thinking of dual booting with Linux (probably Ubuntu) I'm a part time IT student and I'm trying to start up a business using php and Java so I'm looking for a good brand. I'm in Melbourn...

ASSOC vs SHMMAP vs POINT_LUNs vs READ_BINARY?
I have a large multidimensional array. I want to sort it, without doubling the memory requirement by making a same-size array and copying data over, sections at a time. I hear about: - ASSOC? But the raw data is not in large consecutive chunks. Does this preclude its use? - SHMMAP? Seems very low-level and risky without experience. - READU and lots of POINT_LUNs? Would this execute slowly? - READ_BINARY with the TEMPLATE keyword? I should like to hard-code the template rather than use the BINARY_TEMPLATE GUI. I suppose this is possible? I am guessing that READ_BINARY with TE...

ScreamerNet vs. TequilaScream vs. Amleto vs. Spider?
I would like opinions from those who have used third-party Windows network rendering packages for Lightwave (versus the supplied ScreamerNet). Specifically, I'm looking for the pros and cons of using TequilaScream, Amleto, Spider, etc. Best Regards, Washington Bob "Washington Bob" <washington_bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5403d5d.0401161757.18a6648b@posting.google.com... > I would like opinions from those who have used third-party Windows > network rendering packages for Lightwave (versus the supplied > ScreamerNet). > > Specifically, I'm loo...

ATI vs Sapphire vs PowerColor vs etc
Hi there, I've been out of the computer market for awhile now. What's with all these other companies carrying ATI products. For example, I can get a Sapphire Radeon 9600 or a PowerColor 9600 and ATI still has their own 9600. I am seeing these supposedly same products at different prices. What is the difference between the companies and which one would you recommend I get? I am not a gamer. I may do some light video editing though. Thanks for the help. Kindly appreciated. "Kevin" <kevin_uoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5a7a1cbd.0410201540.29397c48@posting.goog...

select VS inherit expanded
Hi To be short, I don't understand in what way the "inherit expanded" feature solves the classical diamond inheritance scheme : ==> class A ... end class B inherit A ... end class C inherit A ... end class D inherit B, inherit C ... end <== as it may be sometimes *useful* for D to conforms to A, B and C altogether (consider for example STREAM, INPUT_STREAM, OUTPUT_STREAM and INPUT_OUTPUT_STREAM). The "inherit expanded" syntax forces D not to conform to B or C, whereas the problem for D in when it has to conform to A (what path should we use ?). It see...

Perl vs Python vs Ruby.... vs Tcl?
Hello. I found this page interesting http://mjtsai.com/blog/2002/11/25/perl_vs_python_vs_ruby/ Would someone care to show me how this would be done in Tcl please? Thanks. fro...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello. I found this page interesting > > http://mjtsai.com/blog/2002/11/25/perl_vs_python_vs_ruby/ > > Would someone care to show me how this would be done in Tcl please? > Thanks. Probably by using the tcllib csv module and adding some lsearch/lsort - index trickery for Tcl 8.5 or simple iteration with foreach. Michael On 11 sep, 16:31, schl...@uni-oldenburg.de wrote: >...

C++ vs Java vs OCaml vs SML
I have written a web page comparing the verbosity and speed of four different (progressively optimised) mini ray tracers written in C++, Java, OCaml and SML: http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ray_tracer/languages.html Essentially, the results indicate that Java is extremely slow (5x slower than the fastest implementation) and extremely verbose, OCaml is extremely concise (only 60 lines of code for the minimal implementation of the ray tracer) and Mlton-compiled SML is extremely fast (much faster than the other three languages). -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy http://www.ffco...

PHP vs. Ruby vs. Python (vs. Rails)
------=_NextPart_000_009F_01C4D6B5.63C44BD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit As I was falling asleep last night I was wondering about the differences in terms of web development time and effort between PHP, Ruby, and Python. and I found myself wondering how much effort the Rails framework saves me from. Does anyone else out there have the experience to be able to compare these? I'm partly curious because I've found it so difficult to get Rails going on windows, while PHP was comparatively very easy. And Python I've just heard ...

expanding a list with {expand}
I have an application that's been running on 8.5a6 for a while. I ran it with 8.5.6 and got an error with the {expand} option that I've been using. Has that feature been dropped? Thanks, /sd sd wrote: > I have an application that's been running on 8.5a6 for a while. I ran > it with 8.5.6 and got an error with the {expand} option that I've been > using. Has that feature been dropped? It got converted to {*} sd wrote: > I have an application that's been running on 8.5a6 for a while. I ran > it with 8.5.6 and got an error with the {expand} option that I...

Forth Vs Clean Vs J vs Lisp
Dear Friends of Forth, I have just found Forth and am excited about it. But i need to clarify its benefits in pc programming rather than using c, c++ or Java or a scripting language. Then there is speed of execution. Seems Forth is like Lisp in that it can be used to write or extend one's own language because you can build up your own definitions. Lisp is powerful and expressive and fast prototyping like Forth but usually slow. Forth can go down further to lower level programming - powerful. But is the speed one gets without heavy tweaking better than most other languages? Interpreted For...

wrapfig vs. picinpar vs. picins vs. floatflt
I am looking for a package that allows pictures next to text. Now I would like to know how these packages differ and what are their good and bad sites. The things I found so far: * picinpar and picins do not float (not necessary needed by myself) * picinpar is Latex209 * picins is Latex209 * wrapfig is newest (but has very unsuable documentation) * only pininpar allows full textlines before picture starts (very important feature!) * floatflt has less options than wrapfig Things I do not know: - do they accept the caption seetings from Komascript (are they compatible) ? - which is still deve...

Tao vs Mico vs omniORB vs Orbit2
Hi, could you give some advice for choosing one of the open source C++/C ORBs Tao, Mico, omniORB or Orbit2? I know this was discussed many times in this group, but mostly at least 5 years ago (maybe with exception of <j4Kdnavx0vTpOdXfRVn-gA@speakeasy.net>). Fife years is a very long time in computer science, and I think the products should have ripened a lot in the meantime (some might not have changed at all, which says something, too). So, what is the state of the C++ open source orbs today? Which one is used most (Orbit2 I'd guess, because it is the work horse of t...