sf2 vs expander?

Hello and a Happy New Year!

Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
better way out.

So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.

So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
512+ MB...)

Thomas

0
Thomas
1/1/2004 7:36:41 PM
comp.music.midi 2995 articles. 23 followers. Post Follow

"Thomas Blankenstein" <Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello and a Happy New Year!
>
> Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
> came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
> after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
> there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
> for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
> better way out.
>
> So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
> that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
> chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
> offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.
>
> So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
> soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?
>
> BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
> will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
> sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
> half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
> on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
> 512+ MB...)
>
> Thomas

Thomas

Hi I use quite a few soundfonts myself and I suppose the value of any font
is critically realted to how well it will do the job at hand both sonically
and dynamically.

My own experience is that soundfonts of musical instruments rarely capture
the full expression available with the origional hardware. e.g. some of the
Proteus 200 pianos.

However I for one dont often use all the expression on tap so in some cases
a soundfont will sound perfect.

I have listened in particular to sound fonts derived from the Proteus 2000
piano range and my opinion is they sound less impressive and after less
flexible artistically than the origional but only just. If I didnt have a
Proteus already I would use them.

BEst N10

Hope this helps

0
N10
1/1/2004 10:56:44 PM
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:36:41 +0100, Thomas Blankenstein
<Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote:

>Hello and a Happy New Year!
>
>Searching for good orchestral sounds to intregrate in my rock songs, I
>came across hammersound.net were I found a couple of useful instruments
>after I had filtered them out of the 1000s of free soundfonts offered
>there. However, as I found that method - searching millions of sounds
>for some dozens of good ones - satisfying, I wondered if there was a
>better way out.
>
>So, I visited a nearby music-store where I tried some hardware expanders
>that costet up to $1000 but also had quite impressive sounds! Then, by
>chance I realized the names of the machines tested on soundfont CDs
>offered in some ebay auctions for about 1% of the hardware price.
>
>So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
>soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

  The machine is the hardware which plays the samples on the sample
CD.  Often, soundfonts are sampled from great hardware synths.  But
samples alone aren't the entire story -- the sampler used to play them
makes a difference in how they sound, and what
effects/controls/changes you can apply to them.

  The other part of hardware expanders is that they are external
boxes, easier to use in many ways on stage and even in the studio.
They do their things well, without tying up the PC.  If you need to
play many sounds at once, a single PC is going to hit limitations.
Hardware is always a nice option for expansion, cheaper than adding
several PCs to run many software synths.

  Plus the engines are often superior to those in common softsynths,
barring a lot of CPU power used to drive them.  A very fast PC with
the right sound card can do a *lot* well, but you can easily tie up
the entire system generating one sound.  A hardware synth, OTOH, does
its stuff without using the PC at all.

>BTW, I'm gonna replace my Soundblaster by maybe a Terratec 24/96 and
>will have to use a special (hopefully free) tool in order to get my
>sf2's running. Will there be any change in the fact that I can only use
>half of my physical RAM for soundfonts? (At the moment I'm using 768 MB
>on a win98 system, but please not another discussion on win98 managing
>512+ MB...)

  Any of the software soundfont using synths can use much more memory.
Oh, and Win98 isn't going to work easily, no good WDM support so no
good use of live DXi synths, but you probably already know that.  ASIO
(VSTi) should work OK.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
Jeffery
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:36:41 +0100, Thomas Blankenstein
<Thomas_Blankenstein@gmx.de> wrote:

>So: What's the difference e.g. between a Proteus 2000 machine and a
>soundfont CD labeled "Proteus 2000"?

It is quite likely that the soundfont CD just uses the raw sample data
from the Proteus, or perhaps has just sampled and looped the output of
the standard presets of the Proteus.  The real difference is that the
hardware has additonal sonic shaping circuits that your soundfont
player is unlikely to have, such as the excellent array of filters
available on the Proteus.  It is these that give real character and
depth to a sound.   Additionally, if the CD has sampled the output of
a Proteus, it is impossible that it could come close to replicating
it, unless the maker of the CD multi-sampled the instrument (more than
one sample covering the entire keyboard range pitch-wise and
velocity-wise).

In short, the soundfont CD is likely to be a pale imitation of the
real thing, just as it would be for any instrument.
0
Noel

int(a) vs (int)a
Hmm... sometime I see code like: int a = int(13.5+17.2); I use to write: int a = (int)(13.5+17.2); is there any difference? -- -Gernot int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf ("%silto%c%cf%cgl%ssic%ccom%c", "ma", 58, 'g', 64, "ba", 46, 10);} ________________________________________ Looking for a good game? Do it yourself! GLBasic - you can do www.GLBasic.com Gernot Frisch wrote: > Hmm... > > sometime I see code like: > int a = int(13.5+17.2); > > I use to write: > int a = (int)(13.5+17.2); > > is there any differen...

CtP: Round dots vs square dots
Do any of you either have an empirical view on this? Are there any references? I've only made imagesterrs with round dots, and I was wondering what the square dot thing is all about. tia Bill Bill Davy <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote: > Do any of you either have an empirical view on this? Are there any > references? > I've only made imagesterrs with round dots, and I was wondering what the > square dot thing is all about. > tia > Bill At todays screen rulings it makes little difference. In the old days of 100-133 line screens it made a bigger d...

Matlab6.5 vs Matlab7: convn.m works different????
Anybody knows why the following operation using "CONVN.m": %======================== X=rand(4,4,6); win=ones(3,3,3); C=convn(X,win) %======================== works in Matlab6.5 but it does NOT work in Matlab7 ??!! Hi, which version, what error message? Works fine for me in R14SP3, but haven't tried other versions (yet). Titus "serval" <serxval@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ef4b7e8.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Anybody knows why the following operation using "CONVN.m": > > %======================== > X=rand(4,4,6); > win=o...

QDPGP vs. idw's PGP
Hi, I was wondering whether one is "better" than the other in terms of stability and features suitable for a home user with PGP 8.0.3 Freeware. I know QDPGP is the sort of official plugin for Pegasus - but what I'm really interested in is the stability and functionality. Any thoughts/comments would be very much appreciated. Cheers, NA. "NetAnt" <net!!!@ants.zz> wrote in news:3fab2716@clear.net.nz: > Hi, > > I was wondering whether one is "better" than the other in terms of > stability and features suitable for a ...

iWorks vs Office.
One of my clients is running me nuts with requiring .docx and I have an older version of Word for Mac. So, I am wondering if anyone used iWork programs (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) in lieu of Word/Excel/Ppt? If so, I'd love to hear: 1. how well do they open & work with Word/Excel/Ppt files and convert them back, and interface with users of those programs 2.� how easy have you found it to get rolling with these and adapt from Word/Excel/Ppt practices, habits, user environments? 3.� have any of you upgraded to Leopard from OS ~10.6 or so, and if so how many problems did it cause wit...

Girder vs housebot vs....
Im leaning towards using housebot because of my simple setup, blah blah blah. I think the real deciding factor here is the end GUI...Housebot has a customizeable End GUI...what about Girder? The screenshots all look relatively complicated, at least to one who just wants a NON complicated end user GUI. The programming end can be rough, thats fine, its the end appearance im wondering about. Thanks! ~Michael Kammes Post Production Audio http://www.lucidsound.com 630 / 727.3070 CQC (www.charmedquark.com) combines the backend power of Girder (plus more) with a very powerful user drawn inter...

[9fans] serial consoles vs. new motherboards
it's becoming increasingly popular for manufacturers to ship motherboards with no serial ports at all. my terminal has nonfunctional uarts. it's easy enough to add in pci(e) based serial cards. i just got a startech pex2s with 2x 16c950 uarts. unfortunately, i didn't realize that only i8250 work as consoles. this makes sense if you always get a serial console, since pci uarts are obviously not available until the pci bus has been scanned, which is much later in the boot process than the onboard uarts can be enabled. but, i don't have much choice. initially i copied the code...

1.7 GHz vs 2 GHz
Hi I would like to know the difference between a 1.7GHz (533MHz FSB) and a 2 GHz (533MHz FSB) pocessor. Would I experience the difference in speeds of two pcs with these configurations? Or Would there be no difference in the speeds as both have 533 MHz FSB? Also, it would be good if you could explain what 533 MHz Front side bus means. Thanks. Regards Shaahul Hameed shaahulhameed@gmail.com schrieb: > Hi > > I would like to know the difference between a 1.7GHz (533MHz FSB) > and a 2 GHz (533MHz FSB) pocessor. Would I experience the difference in > speeds of two pcs w...

DAO vs. ADO
ADO is newer, but is it totally better than DAO? (functionality, speed ... anything etc) example: If I have app using DAO, should I switch to ADO? "Jeff" <zeebee@opNOTTHIS.pl> wrote in message news:cr445g$iak$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl... | ADO is newer, but is it totally better than DAO? (functionality, speed .... | anything etc) | | example: If I have app using DAO, should I switch to ADO? | | I don't think you would be able to detect much difference in performance speed in most cases. Both systems end up passing SQL to a database engine and receiving recordsets back, a...

WSAEventSelect vs WSAAsyncSelect...
Howdy folks', (this is born of simple curiosity - I've too much spare time on my hands, I guess. ;-), to how great a factor is WSAEventSelect faster than WSAAsyncSelect? WSAEventSelect signals an event, which would be significantly faster than posting a message to a Window's message queue the way that WSAAsyncSelect does. But when you're hit with the 64 event limit that WSAWaitForMultipleEvents imposes, and you'd rather skewer your testicles and roast them over an open flame than set up another 'n' amount of threads to handle another 'n*64' socke...

Oracle Reports Win98 vs WinXP
We've just finished migrating from windows 98 to windows XP only to discover that there are printing issues with Oracle Reports 6i in Windows XP. We are using Dot matrix printers to print our invoices (we have tried several brands - Panasonic KX 1124i, Epson Lx300+) In Windows 98 the reports print fine, But in windows XP a report that usually prints on 1 page is now on 2 pages. Please help. I'm desperate. Respond to: kbanfield@gmail.com Thank you all in advance. On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:19:12 -0800, kbanfield wrote: > We've just finished migrating from wi...

R14 linux stand-alone vs m file execution time
Greetings all, I have run into an issue with execution times between a stand-alone executable and an m-file, both performing the same actions. I am running R14 on a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz. The machine carries a dual boot OS (Windows XP and Redhat Linux (2.4.21-4.EL)). The compiler version under linux is 3.2.3. I have created a stand-alone application that is comprised of "*.m" files as well as MEX files. I have noticed the following in terms of execution times: XP : non-compiled: 19.2 seconds XP : compiled : 19.4 seconds Linux: non-compiled: 22 seconds Linux: compile...

Comfort Inn (Motels) vs Linus
My wife checked into a Comfort Inn in Monterey, CA last night. They advertised free internet. A few hours after her arrival, she decided to fire up her Linux PC laptop on the internet. She received a msg immediately saying Linux not allowed. She complained loudly, but decided to leave the motel. $25. That despite the fact she never used anything in the room. She had gone out to eat since her checkin, and upon returning got out the PC. Issues are yet to be resolved. Has this happened to anyone else? After swilling some grog, W. eWatson belched this bit o' wisdom: &g...

ruby vs. perl
In the company I work, there is a tremendous push for Ruby currently underway. More importantly, the push is meant to replace perl (I am afraid to say permanently) as a new utility development tool. I am not very familiar with Ruby, but its popularity as well as market hype are going through the roof. Do you experts have an opinion on whether Ruby dominant language to perl, easier, cooler, more efficient, and ultimately better? Thoughts? puzzlecracker wrote: > In the company I work, there is a tremendous push for Ruby currently > underway. More importantly, the push is meant to replac...

Palm m515 vs Navman gps 500
Hi there! Anyone knows if Navman GPS 500 is a good choice for a GPS receptor for use with Palm m515? Any other sugestions??? He work's in Portugal/Spain???? Thanks in advance MJV Sorry Receiver not receptor! "MJGV" <me@home.pt> wrote in message news:newscache$qndlih$wnf$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt... > Hi there! > > Anyone knows if Navman GPS 500 is a good choice for a GPS receptor for use > with Palm m515? > > Any other sugestions??? > > He work's in Portugal/Spain???? > > Thanks in advance > > MJV > > ...

Frankenstein vs Marathon
Hi: We are looking for open source testing tools for automation Java based GUI's. We are currently evaluating and experimenting with Marathon. At the Google Test Automation Conference, Frankenstein was introduced. I was wondering if anyone had experience already comparing the two and could provide us with any information. Thanks Matthew Harelick ...

Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica
Has anybody read both of Roman Maeder's books _The Mathematica Programmer_ and _Programming in Mathematica_? I specifically mean the out of print first volume of the former. Dose _The Mathematica Programmer_ give a significantly different perspective than what is presented in _Programming in Mathematica_? It is, I believe, the best source for information about the design of his Classes` package. The only other source I am aware of is an unavailable (other than buying the hardcopy) back issue of The Mathematica Journal. And, if my understanding is correct, that is not as com...

Re: Qedit vs CodeWright vs Whisper vs ? #14
From: "Mark Boyd" <MarkBo@pcmall.com> > What's the largest cobol source it will support? I've got a behemoth from > sga that is 118996 lines. And will it open qedit format files? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! Either add 4 lines or learn about subprograms. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

newbie: sf2 soundfonts
My experience of working with soundfonts is limited to using Live Synth Pro - I use it as a soft synth in Cakewalk Sonar 1.3.1. This synth loads ..sf2 files and generates the sounds. I'd like to get hold of some studio quality soundfonts in sf2 format if such a thing exists. I know there are downloads available on the intenet but I thought it might be easier to just shell out some money and get a CD full of them, if such CD's exist. Problem is I don't know where I should start looking for such a CD. I went into a digital music shop the other day (crammed with software) and they did...

windows 2000 expanded memory configuration
does anyone know how to configure syntaxwise config.nt in windows 2000 pro to allow expanded memory that would normally under a dos session require a frame address e000 under emm386.exe. ...

CallBack vs VFP
Moin Moin, eine Ger�te-DLL (extern Terminal) stellt ein Event zur Verf�gung, die einen Pointer auf die auszuf�hrende Funktion ben�tigt. Das ist unter 'C' und folgende kein Problem - Aber: Kann man einen Pointer auf eine VFP-Funktion erzeugen? Wenn nicht gibt es da vielleicht eine 'Hintert�r'? Norbert ...

[News] Benchmarks of Sun vs. GNU for Development

OPENvpn vs. IPSec
Hi! Can anyone tell me something about the security of openvpn compared to ipsec? Regards, Jochen On 2003-11-13, Jochen Gensch <incmc@mail.com> wrote: > Hi! > > Can anyone tell me something about the security of openvpn compared to > ipsec? IPSec was developed by cryptography professionals and has been extensively analysed. OpenVPN is some non-standard protocol that has not received widespread community review. IPSec might be more complicated, but it's unlikely to be an insecure protocol when properly configured. Kris >>>>>...

lognormal model vs. the linear model with log-tranformation
have a naive question: what is the difference between lognormal model (log link, normal distribution) and linear model with log-tranformed dependent variable? Thanks, Jian _________________________________________________________________ High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com Hi, There is no statistical difference. Your second model requires a transformation before his application on the data. But after this, this is the same model. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:13:41 +0000, Jian Mao <...

Char() vs substr() (was Re: How to
Hi there, Can anyone comments on why SAS introduced the new function char()? What is the advantage of char(a,1)? Isn't it the same as substr(a,1,1)? Thanks Ya ...