2nd network computer can't see 100% of files in certain folders on 1st computer

I have a 2-station wireless network between my office and my secretary's,
next door.  I have an XP Pro machine; she has XP Home.  Both computers are
reasonably up-to-date and otherwise working well.  Both have fairly recent
D-link hardware. I have had the wireless network for over a year, most of
the time working well.  Recently, a very odd problem has popped up.

My secretary's computer sometimes cannot see all the files in a particular
folder.  The problem has shown up in several folders during the past few
weeks.  Since her job is to finalize and prints documents that I draft,
this has created uncertainty, since she does not know about all the
documents she is supposed to process.

I am pretty sure I have sharing working properly.  She can access my
computer and can see, for example, 11 of the 13 files in, for example, the
"Jones" folder, but not the 12th and 13th.  The missing files seem to have
nothing in common., that is, they are random, as far as the date is
concerned, etc.  They are not unusually large or small.  All are text
documents, drafted in WordPerfect. Today, she called to my attention that
one of the missing files was one she had typed on her computer about 5 days
ago, saving it to my computer's hard drive.  And I can see the missing files
on my
computer.  She cannot see them from hers.  Neither of us has attempted
anything like "hidden" files etc.  The network is encrypted, but her
computer has the key and can otherwise access my computer.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could cause this?

Thanks.

Rick Silvester

comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

XP Home Network
I just got a new notebook and am having network troubles, getting the "MSHOME is not accessible..." when trying to view the network. I will call the computers 600M, 5100, desktop1 and desktop2 for simplicity's sake, with 600M being my new computer. 1. We're using a Belkin 802.11b wireless router as a hub between the computers and the cable modem. 2. All PC's have Windows XP Home on them, SP2 installed on all 3. I have WEP enabled. I AM able to connect to the Internet with 600M 4. I am not able to see any of the other networked computers with 600M, however 5. All the othe...

XP Home Network
I just got a new notebook and am having network troubles, getting the "MSHOME is not accessible..." when trying to view the network. I will call the computers 600M, 5100, desktop1 and desktop2 for simplicity's sake, with 600M being my new computer. 1. We're using a Belkin 802.11b wireless router as a hub between the computers and the cable modem. 2. All PC's have Windows XP Home on them, SP2 installed on all 3. I have WEP enabled. I AM able to connect to the Internet with 600M 4. I am not able to see any of the other networked computers with 600M, however 5. All the othe...

my computers can't see each other on network
Hi- Having a bit of trouble getting my computers to talk. I have one box running 2003 server, other xp pro. I can't get them to see each other-they are showing the same ip(firewall and router), and the nics are functioning. I have tried the methods of adding network places in my 2003 book, but the path name is not found \\computername\share isn't working. Anyone? Thanx Mucho ...

Can't see other computer on network
Hi, I have a home network of two computers, both running Windows XP. When I have both computers on, a "Local Area Connection" exists i.e. the little icon with two computers appears in the desktray. The problem is that I do not see anything in "Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/Mshome". The thing is, though, that it used to work! Up until about 3 weeks ago it was working and now I can never actually see the other computer on my network and it can't access the Internet though my shared Internet connection. Does anyone have any advice or tools/command th...

Computers can't see each other over the network
I have a Home LAN that is powered by Earthlink Cable through Time Warner and a DLINK DI-604 router. It works fine with Windows XP Home and the PS2, but recently I added a Windows 98 computer to the network. I would like to be able to share printers between the two and also files, but I have a big problem. When I go into Network Neighborhood (or My Network Places in XP), nothing shows up. These computers are set up to be in the same Workgroup, and they both have TCP/IP installed. They can connect to the internet just fine. Why can't they see each other in the network? Is there someth...

my computers can't see each other on network
Hi- Having a bit of trouble getting my computers to talk. I have one box running 2003 server, other xp pro. I can't get them to see each other-they are showing the same ip(firewall and router), and the nics are functioning. I have tried the methods of adding network places in my 2003 book, but the path name is not found \\computername\share isn't working. Anyone? Thanx Mucho ...

Can't see computer hardwired to router, can see wireless computers
I have a network with one desktop, two laptops, and d-link di-624 router. Desktop (98se) is hardwired to router. One laptop (98 se) has d-link dwl g650 adapter. Other laptop (xp-home) has built-in Atheros adapter. All three do internet just fine. Laptops can see each other just fine. Laptop with d-link adapter and desktop can see each other fine. Problems are with laptop with xp (built-in Atheros) and desktop. Laptop doesn't see desktop at all nor the printer attached to it. I'm getting a message at that machine saying network cable not connected. Desktop sees laptop in...

can't see computer from internal network
I hope this is the right place to post this, as I believe it is a linux issue. I recently installed Fedora Core 5 on one of my home PC's. After installing I have ssh setup and running. I have two other PC's in my house, one a windows xp desktop, and the other a windows xp laptop (connected to the network via wireless). Here's the situation. 1). I can ssh into the linux box from my xp desktop pc and ping it. 2). I can ping my laptop from my xp desktop and my laptop can ping my xp desktop. 3). My laptop cannot ping my linux box, nor can my linux box ping my laptop. I am cu...

Can't see my computer in Network Places
I'm having an intermittent problem ever since installing a Windows 2000 peer network. When I look in My Network Places, no computers are displayed (including my own workstation), and I can't access shares that I could see the previous day (even shares on my workstation). I can ping my workstation, but it doesn't show up in the workgroup. This often happens when powering up in the morning, and after I reboot a few times, everything shows up. Any ideas? Thanks, Tom "Tom" <tdwilsonng@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ae755ef4.0310200720.3f8df897@posting....

Can't see my computer in Network Places
I'm having an intermittent problem ever since installing a Windows 2000 peer network. When I look in My Network Places, no computers are displayed (including my own workstation), and I can't access shares that I could see the previous day (even shares on my workstation). I can ping my workstation, but it doesn't show up in the workgroup. This often happens when powering up in the morning, and after I reboot a few times, everything shows up. Any ideas? Thanks, Tom "Tom" <tdwilsonng@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ae755ef4.0310200720.3f8df897@posting....

Can't See computers in Network Neigborhood
Just added a another subnet to our domain. Can not see the computers in the new subnet under network neigborhood. I was reading that that the router configuration needed to be changed in order to see the new subnet in network neigborhood. Does anyone know what the configuration change should be. Thanks Coy ...

Computers can't see each other in network neighborhood
For some reason, my computers all of a sudden can't see each other when I go into network neighborhood. I'm pretty sure they were able to see each other not too long ago. I sometimes do LAN gaming and the computers can see games the other is hosting. I don't recall making any changes to network settings recently. Can anyone suggest something I can do to get the computers to see each other once again so I can share files between them? Thanks, * Robinson On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:10:48 -0500, Mirror Spock <robins80@msu.edu> wrote: >For some reason, my comp...

Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.?
pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup "MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion? By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp sp2. And they can access mutually in the past. Are you talking about regularly shared folders or admin shares like ADMIN$ or ...

Web resources about - 2nd network computer can't see 100% of files in certain folders on 1st computer - comp.networking.windows