Can not read or write to a networked Hard Drive

I have a desktop computer connected to a laptop computer thru a wireless
network (both using XP Pro).  The desktop has an external hard drive
connected by USB.  From the laptop I can see and change files on the desktop
internal hard drive, but I have a problem with the external hard drive.
Under the "My Network Places" I can see the external hard drive but when I
click on the drive I get an error message "\\Desktop|external is not
accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions.  Not enough server storage is available to process this
command."

I have tried 2 different external hard drives and I have tried swapping and
putting the external drives on the laptop but everything has resulted in the
same problem.  The strange part is that last week I was able to see and
change the files on the external hard drive from the network.  I started to
have the problem once I was running my backup program on my laptop and
mistakenly rebooted my desktop machine.  Once the desktop completed the
reboot, I was then not able to see the files on the external hard drive.  I
have double checked and I have the correct boxes checked for sharing and
allowing network users to change files.

When I log in on the desktop machine under safe mode with networking, I can
not see any desktop drives from the laptop.  I have "everyone" have full
permission for everything .  I even went in and added a user (normal account
that I log into) and gave full permissions for everything.  I then rebooted
the desktop and tried seeing the drives on the laptop.  I am able to
see/change the internal drives (2) and can see/change the thumb drive, but
the external drive I still get the same message drive not accessible and not
enough server space.

What else Is there I should be trying?  Is there something I should check on
my laptop?

I would appreciate your help.

--

Neil

0
Neil154ABCD
8/12/2007 2:54:04 AM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

I would appreciate any suggestions on resolving my problem.

--

Neil

"Neil154ABCD@gmail.com remove ABCD" <neil154@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a desktop computer connected to a laptop computer thru a wireless
>network (both using XP Pro).  The desktop has an external hard drive
>connected by USB.  From the laptop I can see and change files on the
>desktop internal hard drive, but I have a problem with the external hard
>drive. Under the "My Network Places" I can see the external hard drive but
>when I click on the drive I get an error message "\\Desktop|external is not
>accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.
>Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
>permissions.  Not enough server storage is available to process this
>command."
>
> I have tried 2 different external hard drives and I have tried swapping
> and putting the external drives on the laptop but everything has resulted
> in the same problem.  The strange part is that last week I was able to see
> and change the files on the external hard drive from the network.  I
> started to have the problem once I was running my backup program on my
> laptop and mistakenly rebooted my desktop machine.  Once the desktop
> completed the reboot, I was then not able to see the files on the external
> hard drive.  I have double checked and I have the correct boxes checked
> for sharing and allowing network users to change files.
>
> When I log in on the desktop machine under safe mode with networking, I
> can not see any desktop drives from the laptop.  I have "everyone" have
> full permission for everything .  I even went in and added a user (normal
> account that I log into) and gave full permissions for everything.  I then
> rebooted the desktop and tried seeing the drives on the laptop.  I am able
> to see/change the internal drives (2) and can see/change the thumb drive,
> but the external drive I still get the same message drive not accessible
> and not enough server space.
>
> What else Is there I should be trying?  Is there something I should check
> on my laptop?
>

> I would appreciate your help.
>
> --
>
> Neil

0
Neil154ABCD
8/23/2007 12:59:19 AM
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:59:19 -0400, "Neil154ABCD@gmail.com remove
ABCD" <neil154@gmail.com> wrote:

>I would appreciate any suggestions on resolving my problem.
>
>--
>
>Neil

Start here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/

-- Zadok
('�')

0
Zadok
8/23/2007 11:27:49 AM
Thanks, I checked it out but the site is really meant to create or
troubleshoot a network.  My network operate fine for all resources (internal
hard drives and printers) with the exception of this one external hard
drive.

--

Neil

"Zadok" <Zadok@utopia.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:59:19 -0400, "Neil154ABCD@gmail.com remove
> ABCD" <neil154@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I would appreciate any suggestions on resolving my problem.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Neil
>
> Start here:
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/