connecting laptop pc to corportate lan and hotel internet connection

hi,
i travel with work and often use the internet connection in a hotel
for work. we've been instructed NOT to connect our laptop computers to
customer corporate LANs since it messes up the network configuration
on our PC (to do with network topologies). Needless to say its not
something I'd do for this and a number of other reasons. I'm curious
to understand, however, the difference between both types of
connections, namely:
- what protocols are found on each (dns etc...)
- what happens on each network connection when you login to windows xp
- is it possible to attach a pc from one LAN in company A to the lan
in company B without any issues? what issues can you expect?
0
strepxe (83)
11/20/2004 6:21:54 PM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

controlling network connectivity of LAN- and Internet-connected machines
Hello. We have a local net of XP machines. One of them is also on the internet, using a second ethernet card. How can I control things so that the machines on the local net don't try to connect to the internet via the one that is on the internet, and are not accesible from the internet? Thanks in advance for any help.. Jim ...

no LAN connection if internet connection is down
Hi, I noticed a weird problem that occurs only if a gateway is down. Suppose you've got a LAN/DMZ with several servers. One of them has two interfaces - eth0 is the internet gateway and eth1 connects to LAN. Suppose eth0 is down for some reason. At the same time no new ssh connections are possible. ssh client run with "-v" option reports reading of the config file and that's it. Connection step just does not happen. The same occurs in any direction. Established connections are not affected. I'm scratching my head: what's that ? It's a 2.4 linux environment w...

Connect Palm to PC internet connection
Does anyone know a free way to connect a Palm device to a PC's internet connection? So that I could read a web page on my Palm device? There is software called Softick PPP that is supposed to do this, but it is not free. My PC doesn't have Bluetooth and I don't have WiFi. This http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~echobase/network/win2k/images.html article is interesting, but I have a laptop and when I try to setup a "null modem" connection, I find out that I have NO COM ports. I wonder if this is possible with USB. "Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wro...

Bridging a LAN connection with AOL Internet connection
Ok this may sound rediculous cause I hate AOL myself but...... I have a customer that wanted me to set up two PC's in their office to share the Internet connection. I went over and made a crossover cable to connect the two PC's. Went to the PC with the Internet connection and realized they had switch from their former ISP to AOL. With a normal Internet connection you just right click on the connection, select properties and go to the Advance tab to share out the connection...... Right...... With AOL you don't get anything when you right click on the connection icon....

Connect to internet through other connection
I am very new to VPN setup and use. I'm setting up a connection between my Windows XP box and a CISCO PIX router. I can connect and map drives, but I get online with my browser now. What gives? Maybe this will get answered with a solution to the problem above, but can I have the VPN connection give me access to the resources at the remote site, but still use my local internet connection for browsing and other traffic. My concern is that I need to connect to our server and I'd rather not use up any more bandwidth there than I have to. Hope this makes some sense. Thanks,...

Connecting my PC over the internet to a LAN
Hello I am trying to connect my home pc via an ADSL connection to a LAN on the other side of the city to run applications that use IP and also for network neighbourhood browsing. I also want to use an application like PCanywhere or VNC to drive a computer on the LAN from my PC at home. My networking knowledge is not bad when it comes to setting up a LAN and server but when it involves a connection like this I am a bit lost, to say the least. My config looks like this: My PC's IP address is 10.0.0.2, my Alcatel speedtouch internal IP address is 10.0.0.1, and the external ad...

Windows ME cannot connect to internet on LAN
Hi, I've recently installed a router so I can use cable internet on all my computers. It works on all computers (Win95, Win98, Linux) except for the one running Win ME. This particular computer used to connect to the internet using VPN dial-up. Everything seems to look fine. I can ping the router and the gateway looks OK. I can't ping to the WWW. Any ideas ? The message <Xns9439616DA20ECakeemayatcom@194.134.35.146> from akeem <akeem@ayat.com> contains these words: > Hi, > I've recently installed a router so I can use cable internet on all ...

Windows laptop and network connections
Hi gang My (work) laptop runs Windows 2000. (No choice, so no flaming!) Is there a method in which I can unplug an ethernet LAN cable, move to another desk, plug back in (to another cable of course), and have the computer automatically reconnect to the LAN? Our support says the only way is to reboot. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the only solution, but perhaps you know something they dont (and I certainly dont)? Thanks JS "John Smith" <bill.gates@microsoft.com> wrote in news:d3ghb5$rn8$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se: > Hi gang > > My (work) laptop ru...

lan connection to JBoss ... connection refused but connectivity is ok...
I am trying to connect from a client on the same network - and have disabled all firewalls. I have my jboss starting with the bind address of the local ip 192.168.1.104 I can telnet to 192.168.1.104 1099 and see http://linux:8083 which is resolvable - and it ends with 192.168.1.104. I cannot (will not?) annotate my beans to hardcode the IP address... But from another client with jndi.properties of java.naming.factory.initial=org.jboss.security.jndi.LoginInitialContextFactory java.naming.provider.url=jnp://192.168.1.104:1099 java.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.jboss.naming.cl...

Connection unavailable message on PC connected to home network
I have SBC/Yahoo DSL. At home I share the connection with three different PC's using a Netgear RP614v2 router. I have one Win2k machine, one Windows98 SE machine, and one Windows 95 machine. All is well except for one thing. Every time I reboot the Windows 98 PC, the first time I try to connect to a web site with IE I get an error message that says that no network connection is available. I am given the option to either work off line or retry. When I select "retry" it always connects the second time and all is well. I can close my browser, then re open it later and I can conne...

unable to connect to internet, can connect to other PC through router
I have a Netgear Firewall/Router FVS318 and DSL internet connection. The router handles all the login to the internet and each computer (I have 2) can see the other, as well as file share. While one computer can apparently access the internet without problems, the other cannot ping anything on the internet, although it can ping the router, as well as the other PC. Any ideas? I'm running windows 98 SE on both. www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm Tip #3 Carey "doug mccausland" <dmccausland@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:eIxQb.22500$q4.12422@newsread3.news.atl.ear...

unable to connect to internet, can connect to other PC through router
I have a Netgear Firewall/Router FVS318 and DSL internet connection. The router handles all the login to the internet and each computer (I have 2) can see the other, as well as file share. While one computer can apparently access the internet without problems, the other cannot ping anything on the internet, although it can ping the router, as well as the other PC. Any ideas? I'm running windows 98 SE on both. www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm Tip #3 Carey "doug mccausland" <dmccausland@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:eIxQb.22500$q4.12422@newsread3.news.atl.ear...

Multiple internet connections and LAN networking
Hi, I have two separate internet connections in my student apartment and I have the following network setup: WAN ^ | (ethernet) | Computer A | (wlan) | Linksys WRT54G-Eu Router ---> WAN | | xbox Computer B Comp. B and C are both running XP pro SP2. Currently all the computers are in the same workgroup and IP:s are assigned by the routers DHCP (also the computers are behind NAT), Comp. A has also public IP. The problem is that Comp. B is hogging all the internet bandwidth and for some reason Comp. A accesses the internet through the router. Since the bandwidth is limite...

Web resources about - connecting laptop pc to corportate lan and hotel internet connection - comp.networking.windows

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Israeli Hotel U Coral Beach Club Eilat Has a Unique Way of Connecting Guests to Facebook
U Coral Beach Club Eilat, a hotel in Israel , is taking sharing vacation photos and checking in to the next level thanks to a collaboration between ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

Connecting an Arduino to a DSC 1550 Alarm Panel - YouTube
Have an old DSC-1550 (PC 1550) Alarm Panel? This video shows how to connect an Arduino to the panel, simulate a keypad, and monitor the state ...