Copying Files and retaining File Permission

Hi,

I need to transfer files from ServerA to ServerB. ServerA is the domain
controller, and ServerB is the Additional domain controller in the same
domain. What is the easiest way to do this? There are folders with ACL
granted to domain users.

Server A - Windows 2000 Server
Server B - Windows 2003 Server
Domain - linx.local

If I use traditional way to transfer files, it will lose all the
permission, and stop halfway if the file is in use. Any software to
skip file in use during copy and report the files in log files?

I have heard of RoboCopy. Is it useful in this situation, and any
guides or word of caution?

Thanks

0
wterng (5)
1/13/2006 3:54:06 PM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

In news:1137167646.791173.133320@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
ping <wterng@gmail.com> typed:
> Hi,
>
> I need to transfer files from ServerA to ServerB. ServerA is the
> domain controller, and ServerB is the Additional domain controller in
> the same domain. What is the easiest way to do this? There are
> folders with ACL granted to domain users.
>
> Server A - Windows 2000 Server
> Server B - Windows 2003 Server
> Domain - linx.local
>
> If I use traditional way to transfer files, it will lose all the
> permission, and stop halfway if the file is in use. Any software to
> skip file in use during copy and report the files in log files?
>
> I have heard of RoboCopy. Is it useful in this situation, and any
> guides or word of caution?
>
> Thanks

Robocopy would indeed be very useful in this case. It's a free download from
MS, AFAIK....or you can get the resource kit.

One example:

robocopy <source>\ <destination>\ /e /sec /r:1 /w:1

.....means, copy source to destination, including subfolders, include
securiity (both must be NTFS) retry once, wait one second between retries

Run robocopy /??? for full parameter info.

0
Lanwench

Should I map the drive or does it support UNC(\\Server) ?

0
ping
1/13/2006 5:01:06 PM

In news:1137168599.684116.30550@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
ping <wterng@gmail.com> typed:
> Hi,
>
> Should I map the drive or does it support UNC(\\Server) ?

It supports UNC paths. Remember, if you have spaces in any of the paths, you
have to enclose them in double quotes - and put the "\" character *after*
the last double quote.

    robocopy "\\servername\sharename\file folder\sub folder"\
"\\otherserver\othershare\file folder"\  /e /sec /whatnot

0
Lanwench