LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98

hello,
I have 3 computers:
2x with Windows XP Professional installed
1x with Windows 98 SE installed.

I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think
is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port
10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged
on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes
the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port
hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set
to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is what I have set them to.... But
even when I have them on half duplex it doesnt fix the problem.....
Any ideas??

regards,

Jay

0
Carole
6/24/2003 10:57:52 AM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

When you don't have collission in a Hub you have a Problem. Because the
Ethernet transfer is a Data Collision Protocol.
You can minimize the Collision with a Switch.
Greetz Flyerr

"Carole McCrea" <carole@stagedright.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> hello,
> I have 3 computers:
> 2x with Windows XP Professional installed
> 1x with Windows 98 SE installed.
>
> I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I
think
> is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port
> 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged
> on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes
> the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four
port
> hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set
> to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is what I have set them to....
But
> even when I have them on half duplex it doesnt fix the problem.....
> Any ideas??
>
> regards,
>
> Jay

0